Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

One of my favorite critics was raving about the "last stand" of Bill Paxton in Aliens so I rewatched it, well part of it

And it is truly one of the worst movies ever made. It was absolute shit. Not one good thing about it. The opening shot was the cheapest looking space shot ever. A horrible painting of the earth and some ridiculous space station. Looks like it was made for about 10 bucks. Then it shows some stupid robot cutting into the ship that Ripley has been sleeping on. Ripley's faux feminist crap could not save this movie. The little girl was a horrible non-actor. All the guys were wasted and useless. The aliens looked like a 10 dollar prop. The movie really shows the weakness of Cameron's writing and how he basically makes the same movie over and over again with the exact same images and amateurish writing.

by Anonymousreply 85February 20, 2021 9:53 AM

Wait, I spent this whole thread thinking you were talking about Bill Pullman’s last stand speech in Independence Day and agreeing what a bad movie it is. Then when I read Ripley, I was like they had a Ripley in this too?

by Anonymousreply 1February 12, 2020 8:23 AM

I wish the black Sergeant had more scenes. He was great, having been an actual Marine infantry Sergeant in Vietnam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 12, 2020 8:48 AM

Not one bad word about the late great Knuckles Bill. If Cameron’s a hack, that’s not on Paxton.

Let’s not forget the man was Clyde in STREETS OF FIRE, Severen in NEAR DARK, Dane in NAVY SEALS and Harding in TWISTER. He also did a Pat Benatar video.

He was an incredible Randall McCoy in Costner’s History Channel series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 12, 2020 9:05 AM

[Quote] I wish the black Sergeant had more scenes.

Apone's constant frustration with Hudson was one of my favourite things about Aliens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 12, 2020 12:09 PM

The best scene out of the whole movie is when they initially go in to the bunker (or whatever you'd call it) and there are aliens all over the place. That's when the majority of the crew gets wiped out. But the action sequence/scene itself is so short and that's all the movie is: action scenes and boredom. So there isn't much to the movie that's all that entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 5February 12, 2020 12:24 PM

It's okay to hate action films as a genre. But if you like action and hate Aliens, then there's something wrong with you.

by Anonymousreply 6February 12, 2020 3:21 PM

I don’t hate Aliens, I just think it’s overrated.

by Anonymousreply 7February 12, 2020 4:24 PM

Let me get this straight, OP... you're vociferously complaining that the level of special effects for a film in 1986 is not sophisticated enough for you in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 8February 12, 2020 4:40 PM

I prefer the original which was horror sci-fi, not Reagan era action.

by Anonymousreply 9February 12, 2020 4:47 PM

R8 special effects are all James Cameron has going for him. You watch one movie he wrote you've seen em all.

by Anonymousreply 10February 12, 2020 6:58 PM

I love everything about that movie, including the effects.

by Anonymousreply 11February 12, 2020 7:18 PM

R11 great Cuntess of Oz has spoken.

by Anonymousreply 12February 12, 2020 7:40 PM

Great movie. Brilliant suspense. Sigourney was nominated for an Academy Award. And this kind of movie has been copied less successfully several times in the years since. Iconic.

by Anonymousreply 13February 12, 2020 8:11 PM

Okay millennial.

by Anonymousreply 14February 12, 2020 8:19 PM

Stay frosty R14

by Anonymousreply 15February 12, 2020 11:25 PM

Please enlighten us, o Great Film Critic, what IS a great movie in your estimation?

by Anonymousreply 16February 12, 2020 11:38 PM

I don;t think it holds up quite as well as the original, but Aliens is a solidly made movie with an understated performance from Weaver, some great character actors and a truly horrific conception in the presence of the Alien Queen, who must be one of the most dreadful things ever filmed. The scene where the aliens are discovered crawling in the drop ceiling is even more startling. The finale goes on too long and some of the opening scenes could have been trimmed but it is still a movie that overall successfully balances Lovecraftian creepiness with action.

by Anonymousreply 17February 12, 2020 11:58 PM

It hasn’t aged anywhere near as well Alien, but it’s still a classic.

by Anonymousreply 18February 13, 2020 12:11 AM

Fucking stupid millennials rating old movies based present-day film norms. It was a movie of that 80s. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 19February 13, 2020 12:19 AM

One of my favorite movies ever.

by Anonymousreply 20February 13, 2020 12:34 AM

Love Aliens and Michael Biehn was hot as hell. Fuck you, OP. Fuck you with the acidic blood of a thousand aliens!

by Anonymousreply 21February 13, 2020 12:37 AM

You seem angry, OP. Did someone hurt you? Can you show us on the doll?

by Anonymousreply 22February 13, 2020 12:45 AM

OP, are you the overrated troll?

by Anonymousreply 23February 13, 2020 12:48 AM

They mostly come at night ....mostly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 13, 2020 12:52 AM

OP is clearly just a contrarian Devil’s Advocate maligning one of the greatest and most beloved movies of all time just for clicks and attention.

Don’t indulge it. I’m going to watch my Blu Ray of the Aliens director’s cut now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 13, 2020 1:06 AM

Get away from Datalounge YOU BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 26February 13, 2020 1:21 AM

[R22] I doubt it, as I believe it was only the head.

by Anonymousreply 27February 13, 2020 3:14 AM

From Aliens to Call Me By Your Name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 13, 2020 4:00 AM

Wow, OP! Did you know this thread would be so controversial?

by Anonymousreply 29February 13, 2020 12:12 PM

Just to compare the execrable James Cameron Aliens, I rewatched Ridley's Alien. The difference was night and day. Ridley is a master film maker. He sets trends, doesn't only steal or plagiarize like Cameron. With Ridley you can imagine they really are in space. The movie was written by adults and we can understand his vision. With Cameron's Aliens there is zero suspension of disbelief. You are always conscious they are in a badly built cheap studio using Cameron's well known cheap tricks he has used in every other film.

by Anonymousreply 30February 13, 2020 7:21 PM

R30 is a cheap hater who doesn’t know what it’s talking about.

James Cameron can actually write his own scripts and they usually turn out to become beloved hits.

Ridley Scott doesn’t have a literary bone in his body and takes whatever work dealmakers shove under his nose. His ALIEN prequels are pretentious, reductive and nonsensical garbage that mostly irritated fans. He made both Aliens and Robin Hood behated.

And what part of Cameron’s ALIENS did you not believe when they were in outer space?

The part where the Queen alien got sucked out of an airlock into outer space and froze to death?

Most of ALIENS is set on a terra-formed planet, dummy! That doesn’t make it bad.

by Anonymousreply 31March 2, 2020 9:20 PM

The first ALIEN is good because the screenwriters and producers were solid. Ridley Scott was just good styling.

by Anonymousreply 32March 2, 2020 9:21 PM

Please identify Cameron’s “cheap tricks he has used in every other film.” R30.

by Anonymousreply 33March 2, 2020 9:22 PM

R32: Exactly. Scott is only as good as his collaborators. When he has weak screenwriters and scripts, he directs dreck like A Good Year, Prometheus, Alien: Covenant, and Exodus: Gods And Kings.

They didn't have CGI in 1986, OP. It's ridiculous to judge special effects in the 1980s by today's standards.

by Anonymousreply 34March 2, 2020 9:54 PM

It's a well regarded film.

by Anonymousreply 35March 2, 2020 10:04 PM

OP is a fan of the Critical Drinker. I think he leans a bit to the right, but he has damn funny reviews.

by Anonymousreply 36March 2, 2020 10:57 PM

I don't mind Aliens--other than the junky "car" scene--but it didn't have the same mood as the first one. I think it could have been darker.

by Anonymousreply 37March 3, 2020 12:11 AM

Bill Paxton was reunited with Lance Henricksen and Jenette Goldstein in 'Near Dark'. Watch it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 3, 2020 12:42 AM

I apologize for a random, stream of conscience post, but did we know that CMBYN was dedicated to Bill Paxton? I never open any of the CMBYN threads, so I didn't know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 3, 2020 12:55 AM

R38 ugh it came on tv the other day but it was nearly finished. Adrian was really cute back then.

by Anonymousreply 40March 3, 2020 1:11 AM

Never saw this film so can't weigh in, but I always wanted (the living) Bill Paxton inside me, quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 41March 3, 2020 1:55 AM

Here's an article by somebody who knows what he's talking about to educate the OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 29, 2020 8:16 PM

I stopped reading OPs post as soon as he called "Aliens" one of the worst movies ever mad

It is such a moronic, hyperbolic statement that it causes anyone not to take it seriously.

Sure you can critique it, sure you can not be a fan, but in no universe is it one of the worst movies ever made.

by Anonymousreply 43March 29, 2020 8:22 PM

Game over, man. Game over!

by Anonymousreply 44March 29, 2020 8:38 PM

R41. I used to as well. These days, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 45March 29, 2020 8:40 PM

I hate this movie for a completely different reason. When I was in severe agony and distress this is the movie I was forced to sit through in a hospital ward while I anxiously waited for the doctor to come see me and it was in HD which made it worse. The few patients that were there weren't interested, nobody was watching it but for some reason they kept it on. Ever since then I've hated it.

by Anonymousreply 46March 29, 2020 10:19 PM

[quote]but I always wanted (the living) Bill Paxton inside me, quite deeply.

That would have been unlikely; he was hung like a raisin.

by Anonymousreply 47March 29, 2020 10:22 PM

I fucking love Alien and Aliens. Easily two of the best films of any genre, ever. I'm technically a Millennial, but I'm an older Millennial, and younger Millennials have had their fucking brains fried by shitty parenting, the public schools, and deeply mediocre media for too long.

by Anonymousreply 48March 29, 2020 10:25 PM

That's a great article at r42.

by Anonymousreply 49March 29, 2020 11:22 PM

R42 Anyone who likes or raves about James crap version of Aliens is a fucking moron and has zero credibility.

by Anonymousreply 50March 29, 2020 11:32 PM

R43 clearly you are one of the "worst cunts" ever made. Keep on cunting, cunty.

by Anonymousreply 51March 29, 2020 11:34 PM

Jenette Goldstein would be canceled if she played a role like Vasquez today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 29, 2020 11:41 PM

I love the Alien movies. Some are better than others. I remember years ago before Bill Paxton died. He said there was a scene in Aliens where he's being cocooned that was cut from the film. Hopefully one of these days we'll get to see it.

by Anonymousreply 53March 29, 2020 11:51 PM

Are you against violence or horror movies in general, r46?

by Anonymousreply 54March 30, 2020 2:37 AM

I prefer Alien as a film and feel a bit sorry that Aliens is generally better liked BUT I don't hate Aliens. I've seen it probably 20 times over the years. It is an action film and it is easier to watch than Alien. Sure it's sort of plasticky in many ways but the film still works quite well. James Cameron's The Abyss and Terminator 2 are some of my all time favorite films, right up there with Godard's Alphaville, La Dolce Vita, My Own Private Idaho and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Aliens doesn't get anywhere near those but it is still in so many ways almost the best high-end scifi horror you can get.

It's always good to remember how truly crappy badly made movies are. I've learnt to appreciate the professionalism that seeps through everything in big Hollywood productions. James Cameron might not be seen as an artistic auteur but he brought something so fresh to Hollywood and coupled with the town's professionals his earlier films are just pure joy to watch. I wouldn't call any of them truly perfect but that doesn't matter. Too bad he lost his way with Avatar, I mean dear god, the first one was terrible and now he's pretty much spending the latter part of his career making sequels to it. I wasn't too wild about Titanic either but I've watched it a few times over the years, mostly for the gorgeous effects.

by Anonymousreply 55March 30, 2020 6:49 AM

R50 has stated her boundaries.

R52 you're not wrong. She really was good as Vasquez though.

by Anonymousreply 56March 30, 2020 6:50 AM

Couldn't you have waited till more time had passed, OP.

by Anonymousreply 57March 30, 2020 6:53 AM

There are horror contrarian trolls who live just to take ridiculous stances against widely held horror movie beliefs. They're attention whores.

We have the "HALLOWEEN 4 is the best Michael Myers movie ever!" Troll, the "EXORCIST III is the Best Exorcist Ever" Troll, the "Let's Have 72 EXORCIST Threads Per Season" Troll and "Jamie Lee Curtis as Laurie Strode Is a Shoo-In for the Oscar" Troll.

I wouldn't be surprised if the OP is the troll behind all these posts.

by Anonymousreply 58March 30, 2020 7:05 AM

R58 big NO on that one, cunt. I don't push horribly made trash like Aliens as good movies. It is a horrible movie. Horribly written. A huge embarrassment for anyone who "starred" in it. The effects look like they were made for about 10 bucks. It does not look like it takes place in space at all.

by Anonymousreply 59March 30, 2020 7:08 AM

Sigh. Aliens is a fucking classic. Everybody is perfectly cast but Weaver is perfection. She is brilliant in this film, and there is a reason her performance is considered to be one of the best - probably THE best - female action performance. It is so layered, nuanced and well-rounded. Her performance has stood the test of time.

In the '90s I had a laserdisc player and they released Aliens as a Special Edition. It featured tons of deleted scenes (though, sadly, nothing of the cocooned Hudson mentioned above). I understood why Cameron cut a lot of the footage; too much expository dialogue and it slowed the movie down (they showed the colonists, including Newt's parents). But I will never understand why Cameron cut the scene of Ripley learning the fate of her daughter (which was subsequently shown in TV airings). It just adds another layer to Weaver's already brilliant performance and has a huge impact on Ripley's relationship with Newt and the film's theme of protecting children (Ripley vs. The Alien Queen).

The action scenes are still thrilling. And I still prefer Cameron's '80s films - The Terminator, Aliens and The Abyss - over anything he did in the '90s and beyond.

by Anonymousreply 60March 30, 2020 7:27 AM

R60 my dad still has the Aliens laserdisc lol. No idea where the player is though.

by Anonymousreply 61March 30, 2020 9:59 AM

I saw laserdics at my art school years ago, never seen them anywhere else. They were practically the same size as LPs and their cover art looked gorgeous since it was so big.

by Anonymousreply 62March 30, 2020 10:39 AM

The primary concern, r60, was keeping ALIENS under the 120 minute rule in Hollywood.

Feature films need to be 2 hours or less in order to 1) Not tire the shit out of the audience and 2) Fit as many screenings as possible into the theater in one day so as to make more money.

So fitting into 2 hours is why most good scenes were excluded from the theatrical release of ALIENS. It wasn't for artistry or flow of the film.

But you're in luck, because TITANIC ensured James Cameron's power to release a film at any length he chooses now. He didn't have that power in 1986.

And many of the good scenes deleted from both ALIEN and ALIENS are available on the extended/Directors' cuts and featurettes on the disc releases.

Here's the deleted scene of Burke being cocooned:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 30, 2020 3:41 PM

And here's the scene of Dallas under cocoon from Part One:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 30, 2020 3:42 PM

What makes the OP / r59 such a clueless twat and disingenuous troll is her failure to acknowledge ALIENS as one of the most influential movies of all time.

Together with ALIEN, you could hardly point to movies that have been more influential in the Science Fiction genre, or the Horror genre. ALIENS has been copied by hundreds of other films and artwork. More than METROPOLIS; perhaps more than STAR WARS.

Whether it's cheap ripoffs like PUMPKINHEAD and BATTLE: LOS ANGELES, Giger extensions like SPECIES or a hit video game franchise like HALO, ALIENS is the beloved force behind them all.

Just to give you an idea of how influential ALIENS continues to be, just look at what's playing in cinemas and new streamers today.

That Kristen Stewart flick UNDERWATER, Now Playing, owes everything to ALIENS 1 & 2. Literally nothing happens in the movie that didn't basically happen in the ALIENS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 30, 2020 3:57 PM

Perhaps the best ALIEN ripoff I've ever seen was from just a couple of years ago — the outer space story LIFE.

It stars hotties Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds for good measure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 30, 2020 3:59 PM

R65 hope it does better than Charlie's Angels.

by Anonymousreply 67March 31, 2020 4:28 AM

R67, I hope it doesn’t because:

1. It’s yet another Alien ripoff.

2. Kristen is a mediocre actress.

by Anonymousreply 68March 31, 2020 4:33 AM

Sigourney Weaver liked Cameron enough that she signed on for Avatar and all the sequels, and if Siggy Weaver likes someone, they're good enough for me.

That said, Titanic was a steaming pile of shit.

by Anonymousreply 69March 31, 2020 4:38 AM

R68 I don't understand how she keeps getting work. But the Charlie's Angels reboot wasn't that bad. Kristen at least attempted to have something resembling a personality. And I thought Underwater was also a reboot of an 80s movie 🤔

by Anonymousreply 70March 31, 2020 4:44 AM

Isn't Underwater a ripoff of Leviathan which was a ripoff of Alien/Aliens??

by Anonymousreply 71March 31, 2020 6:27 AM

R71 I thought it was a Leviathin reboot but they changed the title.

by Anonymousreply 72March 31, 2020 6:39 AM

r71 is right.

LEVIATHAN was an '80s ripoff of ALIEN/ALIENS that simply shares a similar tweak as UNDERWATER: setting the monster underwater instead of in outer space.

UNDERWATER actually has a minor element derivative of 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA, but at least it's directly acknowledged a couple of times in UNDERWATER.

A "reboot" of LEVIATHAN would have been called LEVIATHAN. It would have involved writers or writing credits from the original movie, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 31, 2020 9:19 AM

But LEVIATHAN is another testament to the enduring influence of ALIENS 1 & 2.

Look at how many scenes, styles and concepts happened in the ALIEN franchise first:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 31, 2020 9:22 AM

R74 jesus.... it isn't subtle at all.

by Anonymousreply 75March 31, 2020 11:39 AM

It appears our OP got face-hugged early on.

Good.

by Anonymousreply 76April 7, 2020 5:01 PM

Speaking of the massive influence of ALIEN, here's another ripoff I just discovered.

Notice there's not an original moment in the trailer — just cheaper production values.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 2, 2021 5:47 AM

If the ignoramus @ r30 thinks Ridley Scott "doesn't steal or plagiarize," then he's obviously never read HEAVY METAL magazine or watched METROPOLIS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 2, 2021 5:49 AM

Why am I not surprised the OP was just another provocateur troll who doesn't believe anything he says?

That's DL 24/7 now.

by Anonymousreply 79February 15, 2021 7:51 PM

[quote]Jenette Goldstein would be canceled if she played a role like Vasquez today.

Unfortunately that's true. We'd have a Twitter shitstorm because she wasn't really Latinx. Wokeness is really the enemy of art and creativity, because she gave a fantastic performance that really stood out. She was the perfect fit for the role.

by Anonymousreply 80February 15, 2021 8:20 PM

I actually enjoyed 'Underwater', probably because i love Alien/Aliens so much.

It was a predictable but fun way to spend an afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 81February 20, 2021 7:24 AM

[quote] I saw laserdics at my art school years ago, never seen them anywhere else.

I had a laserdisc player and maybe 20-25 movies. The video quality was actually pretty good for the pre-digital age, vastly superior to tape.

by Anonymousreply 82February 20, 2021 7:29 AM

Sigourney sucked in Aliens.

by Anonymousreply 83February 20, 2021 7:31 AM

Sigh.

OP is the Resident Loon (or, one of the Resident Loons because there is more than one on DL....obviously). He could be the Mary Poppins Loon from the Theatre Gossip threads because the shrill, insane writing style is similar.

by Anonymousreply 84February 20, 2021 7:32 AM

When Michael Biehn’s character hands Weaver the tracker saying something like doesn’t mean we’re engaged....ooh! He’s so shy and playful in that scene. I would’ve jumped him then and there no doubt annoying Mr Cameron.

by Anonymousreply 85February 20, 2021 9:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!