Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fondant

Cake Boss, Ace of Cakes and high-end bakeries have led to creative-looking cakes that are blanketed with a layer of bland play-doh fondant.

What do you think of fondant?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 17, 2020 11:25 PM

I prefer buttercream.

by Anonymousreply 1February 12, 2020 3:45 AM

nasty shit. Its all for show

by Anonymousreply 2February 12, 2020 3:47 AM

The cakes look very pretty and some are practically works of art. But fondant is the "non-toxic modeling foam" of cookery. It's Oreo creme with a liberal arts degree.

by Anonymousreply 3February 12, 2020 3:47 AM

My eight year old niece loves it.

by Anonymousreply 4February 12, 2020 3:49 AM

if i peel that packaging off and there isn't a real cake in there, then you might as well have a plastic one done for a window display.

food needs to be eaten. if it has a beautiful outside packaging for events, that is ok but it had still better be damned tasty.

by Anonymousreply 5February 12, 2020 3:52 AM

It’s tasteless and borderline disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 6February 12, 2020 3:55 AM

I prefer Royal Icing because salmonella helps with weight loss.

by Anonymousreply 7February 12, 2020 3:56 AM

It grosses me out when food looks like the result of teams of people repeatedly touching it. How many hands touched that cake? 20? Were all of those hands clean?

Yuck. Just toss some ingredients in a pan. I don’t want hands on my food.

by Anonymousreply 8February 12, 2020 3:57 AM

I love fondant icing. Yum yum yum.

by Anonymousreply 9February 12, 2020 3:58 AM

Pretty but tastes bad.

by Anonymousreply 10February 12, 2020 3:58 AM

Fraus love it.

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 11February 12, 2020 4:01 AM

Used to love the show Amazing Cakes. Fondant is a good sculptural stabilizing material that works for intricate cakes but who actually considers it really edible?

by Anonymousreply 12February 12, 2020 4:11 AM

Ditch the fondant. Naked cakes are all the rage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 12, 2020 4:15 AM

Those fondant laden cakes usually taste disgusting despite their hefty price tag. The sponge is often premade and weird texture and the frosting is too sweet. Duff is a hideous, fat charlatan who got lucky on the F(rau)ood Network.

by Anonymousreply 14February 12, 2020 4:23 AM

Too many hands.....filthy.

by Anonymousreply 15February 12, 2020 4:47 AM

It's nasty, nasty shit. Like playdough cake covering under the premise of being frosting. R11 is correct, Fraus love it just about as much as Yankee Candles. If I am at a wedding with a fondant cake, I can tell right away the cake IS going to suck.

Real buttercream on the other hand is so good on a cake. It's just not as easy to work with and cant be kept in hot rooms for long length of time.

by Anonymousreply 16February 12, 2020 5:04 AM

Fondant tastes awful and has a gritty and slimy texture. It used to have the job of protecting the cake from staling, pre-refrigeration. When I made wedding cakes over 20 years ago, I made similar cakes with a marzipan cover rather than fondant, for those who wanted that look. It actually tastes good.

by Anonymousreply 17February 12, 2020 5:11 AM

Fondant is to cakes = Cream cheese frosting is to cupcakes.

Yeah, I know, cream cheese holds it's shape better but who really wants tangy frosting? Of course Fraus love cream cheese because the world can see their frau inspired creation. But as for taste, just as nasty as Fondant. Does anyone really like tangy frosting on a chocolate cup cake?

by Anonymousreply 18February 12, 2020 5:11 AM

Tired of it. Ok - so you took playdough and made shapes that just happen to be cake. Wow! Earth-shattering. We've seen it - let's move on.

It's not good baking - it's just shaping food. And I'll add, it's been so overdone, I think it's tacky as shit now.

If I see another women's cake made in the form of expensive purses or high-heeled shoes or men's cakes in the shape of sports helmuts and such, I'll barf. It's cliche, attention-grabbing at its worst. Plus it's expensive as fuck - "I paid $1500 for my purse cake". Barf.

Tacky, overdone and should be put to bed.

by Anonymousreply 19February 12, 2020 5:12 AM

Ah yooze it tah mayke mah faymuss Tahpsy-Turvy Cayke!

by Anonymousreply 20February 12, 2020 5:18 AM

R19 Cream Cheese Frosting is fine, on certain types of cakes/cupcakes. It is great for Red Velvet and Carrot Cake, for instance.

by Anonymousreply 21February 12, 2020 3:47 PM

It's interesting to look at but unappealing to eat. I don't make or buy fondant cakes.

by Anonymousreply 22February 12, 2020 3:51 PM

My friend does cakes and if her customers want fondant, she always puts a nice layer of butter cream underneath so that when the nasty fondant is peeled off, there is some real frosting to enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 23February 12, 2020 3:57 PM

I think one of the problems is that it really is faux fondant. I have had cakes with a fondant exterior for years, often covering a layer of marzipan. They never tasted as bad as these cakes. From what I recall from these shows (are they still on? Really?) is that they use a synthetic sugar to make the fondant. I suspect that this is the problem. However, anything is better than gum paste. It may make a lovely flower, it may be edible, but it is vile.

by Anonymousreply 24February 12, 2020 3:59 PM

You're not supposed to eat the fondant. It's just there for a certain look. And yeah, it's gross and unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 25February 12, 2020 4:21 PM

Fondant ? More like FonDONT

by Anonymousreply 26February 12, 2020 4:24 PM

You all are crazy LOL. Fondant is delish! The hubster and kiddos agree with me. I'm ordering one in the shape of a wine glass right now, because it's always wine o'clock!!! 🍷🍾🥂

by Anonymousreply 27February 12, 2020 4:37 PM

You don’t eat the fondant?!?! Is it edible?

You peel it off and...leave it on the plate?!?!

by Anonymousreply 28February 12, 2020 4:39 PM

I watch baking shows with 3 girls aged 7, 8 and 10 years. We refer to fondant as The F Word. The joke is you have to put money in the swear jar if you say it.

Swedish Princess Cake (too much trouble to make) comes with a thin, delicious, edible marzipan cover to hold in all the layers of cream and jam and cake. It gives a smooth shape to the cake similar to the way The F Word makes cakes look.

Those monstrous sculpture cakes with trains running on them and other excessive crap are pure bullshit. Would not eat. And I am a fat whore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 12, 2020 6:11 PM

R18 the older i get, the more i appreciate tangy flavor contrasted with sweetness. and the less i appreciate intense sweetness.

by Anonymousreply 30February 12, 2020 6:18 PM

It's for people who don't know how to frost and decorate a cake with buttercream.

by Anonymousreply 31February 12, 2020 6:22 PM

It's gross Food Network, kid-taste crap.

by Anonymousreply 32February 12, 2020 6:23 PM

Fondant is foul, both the texture and the taste. I agree that whimsically shaped cakes are a bit done to death now. I love the look of the naked cake. Buttercream uber alles!

by Anonymousreply 33February 12, 2020 6:40 PM

The frauification of everything.

by Anonymousreply 34February 13, 2020 2:54 AM

All the hands and fingerprints on a fondant cake is why sometimes you get a taste of someone's hand cream or perfume.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 13, 2020 3:28 AM

If you're not supposed to eat fondant, you may as way just put a cake in a box.

by Anonymousreply 36February 13, 2020 3:40 AM

I applaud the above poster whose friend puts butter cream frosting under the fondant. When you remove the fondant, you're left with naked cake and some thin layer of frosting between layers.

Fondant has been the stainless steel of the cake industry. Stainless steel surfacing costs less than probably $5, but they increase the cost of appliances by 300 to 500.

Same with cakes. Enormous profit margin to have these stupid shaped cakes out of fondant. It's a scam, people.

by Anonymousreply 37February 13, 2020 3:51 AM

I can make a naked cake myself. No need to buy one.

Cakes are all about the FROSTING.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 13, 2020 3:59 AM

[quote]Cream Cheese Frosting is fine, on certain types of cakes/cupcakes. It is great for Red Velvet and Carrot Cake, for instance.

Red Velvet is basically chocolate cake with red food coloring, so no, Cream Cheese is just yuck. Carrot Cake is standard, but the best I have ever had swapped out the Frausy cream cheese with a Mascarpone or French Butter Cream.

Cream cheese is just as tacky on cakes as fondant.

by Anonymousreply 39February 13, 2020 7:16 AM

[quote]Cream cheese is just as tacky on cakes as fondant.

Tacky, schmacky. Cream cheese frosting is at least edible. Fondant is an inedible decorating substance.

More importantly, if you confuse red velvet with chocolate cake, you really shouldn't be opining about cake, dear. Red velvet has just enough cocoa in it to make it brown. The first recipe that came up (Food Network) contains [italic]one teaspoon[/italic] of cocoa.

A good chocolate cake? Well, here's David Lebovitz's recipe for one. Now, do I believe David Lebovitz or some Datalounge loserino?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 13, 2020 7:25 AM

Hate it. It’s the lazy man’s icing

by Anonymousreply 41February 13, 2020 7:39 AM

Lazy? Actually, it's quite a bit of work. Frosting a cake with buttercream or other kind of "from scratch" frosting is a lot easier than making fondant.

by Anonymousreply 42February 13, 2020 7:42 AM

[quote]The first recipe that came up (Food Network) contains one teaspoon of cocoa.

AND 2 tablespoons red food coloring! Scroll down you nitwit.

There are different ways to make Red Velvet R40. Trust me, most places that actually make them, just add food coloring. And FYI the red used to come from the type of coco not beats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 13, 2020 7:43 AM

[quote]Frosting a cake with buttercream or other kind of "from scratch" frosting is a lot easier than making fondant.

That's such bull shit. I have made both. Fondant is much more forgiving. For one, it doesn't melt in your hands, secondly it can be reshaped and cut out like playdough.

by Anonymousreply 44February 13, 2020 7:45 AM

[quote]2 tablespoons red food coloring

Which has what to do with how "chocolate" your so-called chocolate cake is?

I don't actually touch frosting, r44. I spread it on, refrigerate the cake if I used whipped cream, then cut it and eat it. I have never needed to "reshape" frosting.

by Anonymousreply 45February 13, 2020 8:07 AM

[quote] beats

Oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 46February 13, 2020 12:23 PM

Duff uses a lot of "cereal treats" (Rice Krispy treats) covered with fondant for various shapes on his elaborate cakes, which would not taste good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 14, 2020 8:21 PM

It is evil.

In my family it's tradition to decorate birthday cakes ourselves. In 40+ years, we only tried fondant once. It is vile. We use marzipan instead, with pretty great results. It's still too sweet for my taste, but it is edible, and will even go well with a cake that has a little less sugar.

by Anonymousreply 48February 14, 2020 9:41 PM

During the frosting process, most of the hands and fingers are freshly dabbed with filthy, fecal-laced smartphones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 17, 2020 3:01 AM

Fondant tastes like crap... like stale Playdoh. I wonder why they don't use Marzipan instead, probably the cost.

by Anonymousreply 50February 17, 2020 3:35 AM

Real fondant is blandly sweet, but it can be flavored. Unfortunately, today's bakers buy remade "fondant" which is artificial and just plain disgusting. The entire (modern) decorating process does everything possible to remove the flavor and joy out of cakes. Start with glazing the cake to create a shell which prevents crumbs from mucking up the frosting. Then have the layers frozen and thawed repeatedly as fondant and decorations are added. I agree that master cake decorators churn out works of art -But they taste like they've been hanging in a museum for several centuries.

When I bake I start with fresh ingredients and classic recipes. No artificial flavors or colors. Taste and texture are everything. My cakes look homemade because they are homemade. And as such, they are beautiful. (I bake as a side business, and an 8-inch layer cake usually goes for $50-$75, though I've topped $200 at auction.)

by Anonymousreply 51February 17, 2020 4:24 AM

I’m much more impressed by a beautiful cake made with real ingredients. It’s much more challenging to make a beautiful cake with fresh cake and buttercream, Italian buttercream, or seven-minute frosting. My cakes usually look like a mound of frosting on a plate since I’ve never mastered decorating, but at least they taste good.

by Anonymousreply 52February 17, 2020 4:39 AM

Fondant cakes are on the same level as chocolate sculptures. Any chocolate formed into elaborate shapes inevitably tastes terrible. The chocolate is flavorless due to too much cocoa butter or, even worse, the use of paraffin which eliminates the need for tempering. Whenever I see either, I appreciate the artistic skill in creating the piece, but I essentially don’t see it as food. Might as well put it in Miss Havisham’s living room.

by Anonymousreply 53February 17, 2020 4:43 AM

Red Velvet cake rarely is good enough on its own. It's usually dry and bland.

Although it's the same cream cheese frosting, it compliments the flavor of carrot cake much more than red velvet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 17, 2020 4:46 AM

The old fashioned classic red velvet cake frosting was what was called a boiled icing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 17, 2020 11:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!