Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How much time does DeBlasio have left in office?

Can he run again?

by Anonymousreply 45February 12, 2020 9:56 PM

There are term limits in NYC but he can run again,if he had a billion or so dollars in his handbag. Bloomberg got around term limits using his influence with the city council.

by Anonymousreply 1February 12, 2020 1:36 AM

I think he can run for a 3rd time. The city council changed the rules despite the fact NYC voters voted twice for 2 term limits.

by Anonymousreply 2February 12, 2020 1:46 AM

No more Warren Wilhelm Jr.

Dreadful mayor.

by Anonymousreply 3February 12, 2020 1:49 AM

Bloomberg got the city council to change the rules in 2008 r2, but then the voters changed it back in 2010.

Currently the mayor is not allowed to serve more than two consecutive terms.

by Anonymousreply 4February 12, 2020 1:55 AM

daddy bloombucks paid off the city council to subvert the will of the people who voted in favor of term limits,twice.

by Anonymousreply 5February 12, 2020 1:58 AM

Dear God - please no! It’s a crime he got a second term after failing to accomplish any of the BS he sold in the campaign to beat Christine Quinn. He suckered NYC like Donald suckered the US.

by Anonymousreply 6February 12, 2020 2:07 AM

DeBlasio is the epitome of a liberal flake. His wife hates white people and he could care less about working people. He wants the poor to not have to work and to get more and more and more from the govt which attracts the dregs from all over the world. His homeless policy is pathetic. The homeless run the city subways and he does nothing about it. Public urination on the subway car was my Saturday ride with children watching. He can't go away fast enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 7February 12, 2020 2:28 AM

R7 And don't forget about the $800 million dollars that McCray spent on mysterious mental health initiatives that apparently reached about 1000 people in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 8February 12, 2020 2:32 AM

It is just as easy to google this as to create a thread.

I don’t understand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 12, 2020 2:38 AM

[quote]His wife hates white people

She's also a lesbian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 12, 2020 2:42 AM

I don’t understand the hatred towards deblasio. I’m fine with him. At least he’s trying to deal with the homeless and trying to create a more equal playing field when it comes to criminal justice and healthcare

by Anonymousreply 11February 12, 2020 3:05 AM

[Quote] His wife hates white people

And yet she married one

by Anonymousreply 12February 12, 2020 3:06 AM

It’s Cuomo who has curtailed millions in NYC funding by cutting it out of the state budget, but we’re blaming DeBlasio.

by Anonymousreply 13February 12, 2020 3:07 AM

The only real progressive accomplishment of the past 6 years in NYC has been the recent rent control law - which is a NY STATE accomplishment thanks to finally having a Dem majority. Legislation like this is what is needed - drastic, overcoming extreme forces of wealth lobbying against it and almost solely benefiting working middle class NYers. Not sure how it got done behind the scenes - but I’m willing to give some credit to Cuomo. None to DeBlasio.

by Anonymousreply 14February 12, 2020 3:12 AM

Rent control law, eliminating bail, prepping to close Rikers, treatment of mental illness as a medical problem not a legal problem, same with opioids, making city colleges free for low income students, NYCCare which guarantees healthcare to all no matter ability to pay—tons of very progressive policies pushed by Cuomo to help the middle class and poor

by Anonymousreply 15February 12, 2020 3:16 AM

He is r11? There's homeless people living all over midtown streets... it's awful

by Anonymousreply 16February 12, 2020 3:18 AM

Cuomo is what we need - a skillful politician behind the scenes who knows how to get things done, DeBlasio is all talk and an ineffective political operative. Though I think Cuomo could push for more progressive policies on pot and prostitution, I understand that is a harder sell nationally if he runs for President. And the economic inequality issues are much more important than sex and pot.

by Anonymousreply 17February 12, 2020 3:24 AM

r12: She married a self-hating white who changed his name to make it sound more ethnic. Freaks, the two of them.

And he doesn’t really give a shit about the 400,000 people who live in NYCHA Housing, nearly all of whom who are POC.

I hate him with a passion, but he have us Universal Pre-K.

by Anonymousreply 18February 12, 2020 9:18 AM

Big Bird is almost finished. Then he can fuck right OFF. I hope he moves to Cuba with his cunt “wife”.

by Anonymousreply 19February 12, 2020 10:29 AM

[quote][R7] And don't forget about the $800 million dollars that McCray spent on mysterious mental health initiatives that apparently reached about 1000 people in NYC.

It wasn't $800 million. It was over $900 million. And she didn't spend it. It just disappeared and nobody still can account for where it went.

by Anonymousreply 20February 12, 2020 10:50 AM

R20, how very dare you? You must be racist to question McCray’s integrity.

by Anonymousreply 21February 12, 2020 10:59 AM

R21 - KLAN THREAD KLAN THREAD KLAN THREAD.

by Anonymousreply 22February 12, 2020 11:56 AM

No one in the middle class feels helped by the DeBlasios. People feel the poor are not encouraged to work but given so much free stuff at the expense of the middle class with they have no incentive to work or do anything

by Anonymousreply 23February 12, 2020 12:29 PM

To anyone who claims DeBlasio cares about poor people, please look at his pathetic relationship with NYCHA, which houses 400,000 poor New Yorkers (overwhelmingly POC).

His attack on the public schools is disgraceful.

by Anonymousreply 24February 12, 2020 2:00 PM

R23, a few years ago, I was going through a rough patch financially, and trying to get some public assistance. IF you qualify (working poor usually make too much; there’s a very narrow but high set of hurdles!), you can get absolutely everything for free. Health care, child care, education, job placement, transportation, utilities, food, phones... I came away with the feeling that you had to prostrate yourself to the system in order to get ANYthing. Just drop out of the workforce and get on the government teat. They want you totally dependent. Then you can get all the goodies.

There is no help for the working poor. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 25February 12, 2020 2:05 PM

He most certainly can run as long as he wants, if he plays his cards right.

by Anonymousreply 26February 12, 2020 2:18 PM

R15 I agree with all you wrote. In addition, Cuomo has also made the SUNY system free for lower income college students.

by Anonymousreply 27February 12, 2020 2:25 PM

The fact that delusional fuckwit ran for President is mindblowing, given how hated he is in NYC

The perfect Warren Wilhelm story is that he goes back to his YMCA is Brooklyn every day (and not at 5AM which would allow him to get to work on time) and he's still a fat fuck. He's like all those guys you see at globo gyms who spend 20 minutes on the elliptical and wonder why they're not in better shape.

And there's his wife who basically gives ammo to the people who feel being gay is a lifestyle choice, e.g., she "just hadn't met the right man yet" and thus she was a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 28February 12, 2020 2:36 PM

R28 pretty sure she is a lesbian and it is just a marriage of convenience.

by Anonymousreply 29February 12, 2020 2:40 PM

Pretty much, r25. Unless you’re making a certain amount of money, you’re better off being on benefits.

by Anonymousreply 30February 12, 2020 2:45 PM

R11, he's not dealing with the homeless--in fact, I haven't seen as many homeless people in my neighborhood since Guiliani was mayor. DeBlasio has done nothing as mayor except run for president. At least Bloomberg waited until he served his illegitimate three terms before he attempted to buy the highest office in the land.

by Anonymousreply 31February 12, 2020 2:57 PM

R31, as an aside, I think there are different kinds of homeless. To be fair, I think Big Bird has some initiatives to help those who need help and want to work to fix their situation.

As far as the mentally ill raving lunatics? He doesn’t want to get his hands dirty to do what needs to be done. And he doesn’t care because he doesn’t have to encounter them the way we do. And he’s a lame duck now, so he shrugs and says he can’t violate their human rights.

by Anonymousreply 32February 12, 2020 3:31 PM

I would say most of the homeless in NYC have a variety of issues, including mental, and whatever "initiatives" you're talking about, they're not working. He's a completely ineffectual mayor and I can't wait for him to go.

by Anonymousreply 33February 12, 2020 3:53 PM

R32 makes a very valid point--the way to solve the homeless problem is to acknowledge that the drug addicts and mentally ill have very different issues, problems and needs than the people who are either down on their luck or victims of domestic abuse--the latter group are often women with children--and deal with them that way

by Anonymousreply 34February 12, 2020 4:08 PM

^^and that the vast majority of people living on the street are mentally ill, drug addicts or both

by Anonymousreply 35February 12, 2020 4:08 PM

R35, thank you. There are people who are homeless and need a leg up. Families who lost their main breadwinner, someone who got behind on the rent because they got hit by a bus and couldn’t work, whatever. We’re always saying most of us are a few paychecks away form being homeless. Those are the people who can be helped, and I do think there is help for them to get back on their feet.

And then there are the inveterate mentally ill who refuse any help. I have gotten slightly involved with local community activists and city council, and there really are outreach programs. If you look closely, sometimes you will see homeless people with hospital bracelets or gowns or bandages, from their time in care. I’ve been in the Lenox Hill ER when they’re brought in. But no one can force them to stay enrolled in any program except in the most dire of cases.

I cannot STAND DeBlasio, but the problem didn’t start with him (and he’s certainly not solving it).

by Anonymousreply 36February 12, 2020 4:16 PM

Exactly R36 and what's sadder is that a good percentage of what you're calling the "inveterate mentally ill" and the drug addicts are actually from middle class or wealthier families who spent years (and tens of thousands of dollars) trying to help them but eventually gave up because they could not force them to accept treatment and they'd go off their meds and wind up back on the street

by Anonymousreply 37February 12, 2020 4:19 PM

R27, SUNY and CUNY are free for everyone provided you adhere to strict guidelines. I read early last year that not many people qualify for the program. I don't know if that has change any recently.

by Anonymousreply 38February 12, 2020 4:22 PM

SUNY and CUNY are NOT free for everyone precisely because there are very few who qualify for free tuition.

by Anonymousreply 39February 12, 2020 4:26 PM

[quote]I’ve been in the Lenox Hill ER when they’re brought in.

Lenox Hill is a private hospital owned by Northwell. Homeless in NYC are taken to NYC owned hospitals.

by Anonymousreply 40February 12, 2020 4:29 PM

R39 that changed a few years back. It's not free for just low income people anymore. There are very restrictive strings attached like working in NY for a number of years after graduation, which is why few people's want to take advantage of it.

by Anonymousreply 41February 12, 2020 4:34 PM

R40, I guess he was just a smelly filthy incoherent rich guy with scabbed and swollen legs and good insurance.

There was also a pair of girls in the bay next to me, one of whom was pregnant and hadn’t had any prenatal care. Her friend was translating for her. I heard the whole thing (HIPAA goes out the window in a crowded ER). Maybe they transfer them to public hospitals once they’re stabilized, but not everyone in that ER was rich or insured.

by Anonymousreply 42February 12, 2020 4:44 PM

That's all Lenox Hill would be required to do...stabilize and transfer. Also, the free healthcare that NYC offers only works in NYC run hospitals.

by Anonymousreply 43February 12, 2020 4:47 PM

Lenox Hill has really gone downhill. Not sure there are any good hospitals left in NYC - seems like they are all overcrowded and overwhelmed.

After St Vincent’s closed, I ended up having to go to NYU ER when I was having extreme afib issues. After some preliminary tests, about 10 minutes later there was a young doctor who was clearly just called in while he was out on a Friday night (you could smell liquor). He was clearly rushed and urgent - then after reviewing info and checking me, he went off on the ER staff/nurses “why was I called in to do surgery on this guy”. Turns out nurses were prepping me - and had called the heart surgeon - for heart surgery when I didn’t need it. Really made me thing about moving out of NYC for better medical care - despite all the rankings that talk about how “great” NYC top hospitals are.

by Anonymousreply 44February 12, 2020 5:05 PM

I'm a die hard Democrat and always have been. I hate, hate, hate Trump. I wake up in the middle of the night and check my phone to see if he had a stroke or some other event that will take him out of office. I live in NJ and DeBlasio is the worst mayor of NYC since Abe Beame and ultra-liberal NJ Governor Phil Murphy is the worst governor of NJ since Christie Whitman. Tax and spend Democrats will kill the working class. It's why we have to go with Buttigieg or Klobuchar.

by Anonymousreply 45February 12, 2020 9:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!