Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Colombia really safe to visit these days?

Or is that just the line spouted by travel bloggers fresh off press trips sponsored by the tourist board? I keep hearing about what a hot destination Colombia is, now, how much cleaner it is, how robbery and violence are no longer big tourist concerns. Is there truth in that? I’m intrigued enough to consider traveling there, but not sold.

by Anonymousreply 69February 25, 2020 5:02 PM

I was in Ecuador last year and met a couple of Colombians in Quito. While they were enthusiastic about their country, they did remark that the 'security situation' in Ecuador was much better than in their country. They said you still need to be careful in the cities. If you stay at a resort in Cartagena and don't leave it, you're fine.

by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2020 9:10 PM

My partner and I are actually going to Colombia for 10 days on Friday. To Bogota and Zona Cafetera. From what we've heard, like many other big South American cities, if you heed certain common sense safety precautions, you'll be fine, which means not going to sketchy, crime-ridden areas, sticking with safe, upscale neighborhoods at night, taking taxis, etc. I'm more concerned about credit card fraud, so we're taking enough cash to pay for restaurant meals, some hotels, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2020 9:19 PM

It must not be if Alex Trebek got cancer from working there for so long.

by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2020 9:23 PM

Sounds like it’s much much safer than Brazil now. A good choice if you want South America without a 10+ hour flight.

by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2020 9:23 PM

I was in Cartagena a few months ago and wasn't robbed, but the street merchants/beggars are unreal. Couldn't do a damn thing without them shadowing you and continuously trying to get your money. I won't exactly be rushing back there anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2020 9:27 PM

[quote]If you stay at a resort in Cartagena and don't leave it, you're fine.

But doesn’t that defeat the purpose of going?

by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2020 9:45 PM

Depends what you want R6. Caribbean beach vacation, or to see a country.

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2020 9:53 PM

Spent three weeks down there in 2017. Cheap, friendly, safe, gorgeous. Piece of cake. Just get out of Cartagena and you'll be fine. There are kinds of retreats and groups you can join if you're feeling trepidation.

by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2020 10:01 PM

I’m aware of my demographics.

by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2020 10:08 PM

The Upper, Upper West Side has been perfectLy safe for decades now, truly gentrified. Be sure to stop into the Hungarian Cafe across the street from St. John the Devine on Amsterdam, the pastries are heavenly. Though you may want to avoid Morningside Park after that unfortunate incident that occurred there last year.

by Anonymousreply 10February 11, 2020 11:02 PM

[quote]Just get out of Cartagena and you'll be fine.

That is interesting. I’ve heard the opposite: that Cartagena is relatively gentrified and you need to be extra careful elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 11February 11, 2020 11:42 PM

r2 It's a great idea to bring wads of cash to Colombia! That will in no way put a target on your back.

by Anonymousreply 12February 12, 2020 12:11 AM

I've traveled back-to-back summers in Colombia by myself -- to Bogota and then northward up to the Caribbean coast; and then Medellin and the coffee region -- and did not have a single security concern. Just heed practical, common-sense big city guidelines in the large cities. The only concern I ended up having was that I didn't want to leave!

by Anonymousreply 13February 12, 2020 12:21 AM

I thought this book was based in Columbia but it is actually Venezuela, It's the kind of book you can't put down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 12, 2020 12:53 AM

[quote] It's a great idea to bring wads of cash to Colombia! That will in no way put a target on your back.

Duh. You only carry on you what you'll be spending that evening in pesos. The rest you keep locked in the hotel room safe.

by Anonymousreply 15February 12, 2020 12:55 AM

I feel like it might be low priced sex tourism paradise.

by Anonymousreply 16February 12, 2020 2:19 AM

TBH that is the main attraction R16. Anyone with knowledge ?

by Anonymousreply 17February 12, 2020 2:22 AM

Be sure to make arrangements to hook up with your favorite Chaturbate models!

by Anonymousreply 18February 12, 2020 2:25 AM

A nicely barked Apártate will tell those chasing or shadowing you to stop it.

by Anonymousreply 19February 12, 2020 3:10 AM

Was in Colombia last year. Stayed in Medellin and Cartagena. Was all over Medellin and never worried about my safety. Food was delicious and cheap. People are very friendly. We were there to check it out to move there. Lots of modern high rise condos and apartments. Not a lot of people speak English so a working knowledge of Spanish is helpful.

Cartagena on the other hand was hot and humid. The walled city is fun but as an earlier poster mentioned, you’re jumped by vendors trying to sell Panama hats or water. After walking 20 feet inside the walled city and be hit up to buy a hat or water by 10 vendors I blew it and yelled if I wanted a hat or water I’d buy them. The one vendor who spoke English said, hey man calm down. These people are just trying to make a living. I turned around and said, I’m just trying to see your city! So, after that I wore my cap and carried a small bottle of water with me. Problem solved. Three days is plenty of time to visit Cartagena. The water at the beaches is not clear, think the beach in Galveston. I never worried about my safety in Cartagena, but it very rough around the edges...lots of trash, potholes, poor barrios.

by Anonymousreply 20February 12, 2020 3:12 AM

I did Bogota, Medellin, and Cartagena last year. Never had any issues. I was offered cocaine within 20 minutes of landing in Cartagena. Just a stern shake of the head and a curt “gracias” and the street vendors left me alone. Cartagena was great to do nothing but drink and not move due to the humidity. I’m hoping to get back to Medellin this year or next.

by Anonymousreply 21February 12, 2020 3:18 AM

OP, have fun. Bogotá is one of the great, fun, no-holds-barred gay cities of the world at the moment, IMO. Even beyond the gay scene, I was charmed by the museums, restaurants, art galleries -- it's a sophisticated, chic place.

If cities aren't your thing, the countryside and coasts are beautiful, peaceful places to just relax.

by Anonymousreply 22February 12, 2020 3:21 AM

[quote] I was offered cocaine

So was I, lol. Quite a few times when entering the bars. Guess enough tourists partake that it's a common assumption in the bigger cities.

by Anonymousreply 23February 12, 2020 3:49 AM

Cartagena seems fun.

by Anonymousreply 24February 12, 2020 5:17 AM

Where are the hot black dudes?

by Anonymousreply 25February 12, 2020 12:40 PM

There was a two parter about Colombia and the hot, sweaty, hung mens there. A lot of travel information among the sex discussion as well, OP. Here is part one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 12, 2020 12:51 PM

Oooh Mylanta, why everytime I think of Colombian men, I get all flush and whoozy. Someone fetch me a mint julep!

by Anonymousreply 27February 12, 2020 1:35 PM

R25, Cartagena, Cali, both coastal areas.

by Anonymousreply 28February 12, 2020 5:25 PM

I picture the cities in Colombia having the same kind of decay as Naples, Italy. Which I hate. Accurate?

by Anonymousreply 29February 13, 2020 4:10 AM

R29, only Cartagena has that decaying feel/look to it. Bogota is more modern metropolis with skyscrapers, sprawl, urban density, and all of the pros/cons associated with that.

Medellin is the cleanest and most modern/forward-thinking -- their public transportation system is excellent, they've transformed what were once some of the world's most dangerous neighborhoods into clean, safe spaces filled with art, schools, and walking tours for tourists.

by Anonymousreply 30February 13, 2020 10:14 PM

Hubby and I just arrived in Cartagena yesterday. It's nice so far, definitely laid out for tourists, but you still find lots of places that are authentic. I think Cartagena was always considered safe, even with unrest coming back in other places of the country. Not sure how much of the true Colombia I get to see. We'll see.

by Anonymousreply 31February 13, 2020 10:21 PM

Juan Valdez says, "Come on down!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 13, 2020 10:49 PM

R31, have fun! Visit Isla Baru if possible

by Anonymousreply 33February 13, 2020 11:19 PM

How Medellin turned it around to become the emerging, ascendant Silicon Valley of South America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 14, 2020 12:08 AM

Has anyone been to the Rosario Islands or any of the other beautiful more pristine beach spots that are within a day from Cartagena? I haven’t found much helpful information so it would be nice to hear whether any gay men have stayed in any of the islands nearby and what were the best places to stay.

by Anonymousreply 35February 17, 2020 2:44 PM

Bump for Medellin. Medajin

by Anonymousreply 36February 18, 2020 1:39 AM

R35, I didn't spend much time in the Cartagena area because I was running out of vacation days -- and I'm more inclined towards Medellin or Bogota climates than tropical weather -- but I did enjoy a day visit to Isla Baru. Beautiful beaches and good food. I wish I had been able to stay at least overnight.

I did get to Parque Tayrona, which I recommend, but it's a bit more of a time commitment if you're coming from Cartagena. There is a gay end of Colombia's only nude beach there. The water is rough though -- only a few portions of the park actually allow swimming.

by Anonymousreply 37February 18, 2020 5:14 AM

Yes, but stay away from Hudson University.

by Anonymousreply 38February 18, 2020 5:39 AM

R35, how is your trip in Cartagena going?

by Anonymousreply 39February 19, 2020 4:15 PM

it's wonderful

by Anonymousreply 40February 19, 2020 4:16 PM

One place I really liked along the Colombian coast was the small coastal town of Palomino. I stayed at a nice lodge with massage and spa, excellent food, and dangerously cheap maracuya mojitos -- pretty much checked off all of the things I would ever want at a beachside vacation spot.

by Anonymousreply 41February 19, 2020 10:09 PM

Bogota and Medellin look kind of modern and drab in photos. Are they better in person?

by Anonymousreply 42February 19, 2020 10:40 PM

You know, I went to Cartagena with my gal friends a few years ago...

Can I be honest - it wasn't that great.

I got stuck in a elevator.

No one seemed to listen anything I said - no matter how loudly I yelled at them in English - so rude!

(Then I got a parasite from some food we ate - and I couldn't stop shitting, for days and days!)

P.S. I don't like to gossip but the Countess shit the bed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 19, 2020 11:10 PM

Agree R42. They look like third world cities with concrete block buildings and nothing architecturally attractive. And the food is just another variation on rice and beans. Not sure what the attraction is - other than the Chauturbate whores.

by Anonymousreply 44February 19, 2020 11:37 PM

[quote] Bogota and Medellin look kind of modern and drab in photos. Are they better in person?

Bogota tends to be overcast and drizzly for much of the year, so I can see why it looks drab in photos. Cloudy temperatures hover from the lower 60s to the upper 60s almost year-round. It's a huge, sprawling city -- at least 80% of which I didn't see, and which no tourist will either. It has its cute parts -- the Candelaria neighborhood with its colonial buildings and narrow cobblestone streets; the areas abutting the lush green hills of Monserrate with its funicular. There are some seriously swank, big money neighborhoods which I didn't see. I stayed in the gay neighborhood of Chapinero which is accessible to good restaurants, gay bars, shopping, etc.

Mostly I liked Bogota because of all the things there are to do. Live music, libraries, museums, restaurants, botanical gardens, good-looking men, and a gay club and sauna scene which makes most American cities look staid in comparison. I ended up wanting to stay there longer than I had the chance to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 20, 2020 12:19 AM

I thought Medellin was pretty. I like the red-brick buildings contrasting against the greenery. The weather is perfect -- like spring in LA. The public transportation is reliably excellent. And it's close to many of the cute, small towns which have more of the traditional Colombian feeling and pace of life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 20, 2020 12:26 AM

Writing this from near Armenia in Zona Cafetera. We spent several days in Bogota and loved it. It’s actually a rather sophisticated city with great museums, restaurants, art galleries, shopping , etc. Before leaving for Colombia, I had some apprehensions, safety being one of them. In that regard, Bogota surprised me in a very positive way, no street scams, no taxi fare ripoffs, nothing. Yes, there are street vendors that’ll try to sell you something but a polite “No, gracias” and a smile was invariably sufficient. Overall, we felt much safer than, say, in Mexico City or Brazil, maybe even Buenos Aires. Bogota and Colombia seem to be experiencing a rapid expansion of middle class. The only things that stood out a bit were many members of private security companies and a police officer with a sniffing dog would inspect bags when entering places such as Centro Andino. We even rented a car in Zona Cafetera, drove around,and had no issues whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 47February 20, 2020 1:36 AM

This is OP. I didn’t leave yet. Still gathering information on the different Cartagena beaches. Thinking to possibly go to the Rosario Islands, but some people say the boat ride home can be rough and bumpy. So also looking into other beaches north of Cartagena.

by Anonymousreply 48February 20, 2020 12:00 PM

R48 Um, no. You are not the OP. I am. Block me and look at my post history if you insist otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 49February 20, 2020 12:29 PM

Op did you like Cartagena?

by Anonymousreply 50February 22, 2020 1:09 PM

LOL! Why would R48 claim to be OP?

by Anonymousreply 51February 22, 2020 1:43 PM

I tried to get my daughter in there but they wanted a million. No way, Jose'

by Anonymousreply 52February 22, 2020 2:35 PM

Not sure why R2 is worried about credit card fraud

AmEx will not hold you responsible for fraudulent charges. Worst case scenario is someone steals your card number and AmEx has to overnight you a new one

by Anonymousreply 53February 22, 2020 2:46 PM

Yeah - AmEx is awesome about fraud. It’s worth the annual fee just for their security in situations where there is a high risk of fraud.

by Anonymousreply 54February 22, 2020 3:33 PM

One of the benefits of going to Medellin is you're very close to some of the most picturesque small towns in Colombia -- including my favorite, Jardin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 22, 2020 6:18 PM

[quote]Yeah - AmEx is awesome about fraud. It’s worth the annual fee just for their security in situations where there is a high risk of fraud.

Many AmEx cards have no annual fee.

by Anonymousreply 56February 22, 2020 6:20 PM

Whoops. Meant this picture. The pace of life is so slow and relaxing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 22, 2020 6:24 PM

The cable cars in Medellin are fantastic. A must-do.

My husband's from Medellin, so I had an insider's view of everything, and I had a great time. Excellent food. And those fruit juices...

by Anonymousreply 58February 22, 2020 6:36 PM

R58, lucky you!

I loved the exotic fruits tour in Medellin! I sampled fruits and juices I had never even heard of before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 22, 2020 6:56 PM

Did anyone do any good jungle tours near Cartagena.

by Anonymousreply 60February 24, 2020 1:23 AM

R60, I did some jungle hikes in Parque Tayrona. Beautiful but oppressively hot -- for hiking at least.

by Anonymousreply 61February 24, 2020 11:41 PM

If you plan to venture into the jungles of South America, you'll need to go to your local travel clinic for two inoculations:

1. against malaria, and

2. against yellow fever.

Anti-malarial medication is essential since those jungles are swarming with insects, including mosquitos. Plus, bring some insect repellent with you - even if you're protected against malaria, you still run the risk of being covered in insect bites, harmless but very annoying and itchy.

by Anonymousreply 62February 24, 2020 11:45 PM

Hmm maybe I’ll skip the jungle hikes to escape all those insects.

by Anonymousreply 63February 25, 2020 12:30 AM

R63, I only saw a portion of the jungle in Colombia -- tropical humidity is just not how I like to roll -- but I've been to various parts of the Amazon in other South American countries, and the bugs can be pretty agitating and fearsome. Take a strong repellent if you do go.

by Anonymousreply 64February 25, 2020 1:47 AM

I'm seeing a guy who grew up in Colombia and he says it's better but still messed up.

by Anonymousreply 65February 25, 2020 1:50 AM

R65, just out of curiosity, which area in Colombia did he grow up in?

by Anonymousreply 66February 25, 2020 2:49 AM

I don't actually know, now that you mention it. I know he grew up semi-rural. I'll ask.

by Anonymousreply 67February 25, 2020 2:36 PM

Cali?

by Anonymousreply 68February 25, 2020 2:53 PM

R68, I never visited Cali, but sort of wish I had.

by Anonymousreply 69February 25, 2020 5:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!