Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is anyone going to watch the new season of The Sinner with La Bomer?

I think it looks good

by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2020 3:23 AM

*crickets*

It does look good, and I would, but I'm not in the US. I'd like to hear what it was like if you watch it.

by Anonymousreply 1February 7, 2020 12:27 AM

Say it last night. I thought it was good. I'm interested to see what happens next

by Anonymousreply 2February 7, 2020 3:45 PM

I watched the first episode last night. I loved the first season, but wasn't wowed with the second. So far season 3 feels like it's going to be better than 2.

by Anonymousreply 3February 7, 2020 3:48 PM

First episode was pretty intriguing. Messina is so creepy and Bomer is unsettling too.

by Anonymousreply 4February 7, 2020 7:17 PM

I'll keep watching. And not just for Matt Bomer's longer, shaggier, sexier hair.

by Anonymousreply 5February 7, 2020 11:47 PM

Things really heated up on tonight’s episode. The acting carried the first episode which moved a little slowly for me. But tonight the story really kicked into gear and you start to see how all these characters intersect and it really gets you guessing. I’m obviously a fan of Matt , so inherently biased and proud of it. That being said, he’s just excellent as Jamie. Jamie’s conflict is palpable , even in the last scene you’re still undecided as to good vs evil. Now for a lap in the shallow edge of the pool, Matt’s just fucking gorgeous. If that’s what forty two looks like with little to no makeup, Mercy. As messed up as Jamie’s head was when having sex with Leela was, God that was hot.

by Anonymousreply 6February 14, 2020 4:57 AM

I really liked the first two seasons and there were some really good performances in them but S3 seems to be shaping into a rather creepy and disturbing story. The three leads (Bomer, Messina, and Pullman) are really delivering the goods.

by Anonymousreply 7February 14, 2020 5:16 AM

I am watching it. Good show.

by Anonymousreply 8February 14, 2020 5:23 AM

This season has me hooked line and sinker. So many questions are running through my head about Jamie and Nick now. When Jamie says you can't tell Nick what to do, is he implying he knew Nick would lose control and wreck the car. when he told him to stop. Although he was wearing a seat belt, he was also taking the risk of dying himself, which is part of their thing. Have they killed people before or is Jamie now free to kill, now that he's unrestrained by the game. How far is Ambrose going to go, as Jamie looks for another partner. Sonja is definitely bad news for Ambrose, stirring up all the trauma associated from the dysfunctional relationship with his mother. Will this push him farther in reaching out to Jamie as an escape from his mother. I believe this is the first time we have heard anything about Ambrose's father, his personal effects are being shipped to him. All the characters are so strong and well written and the acting is top notch.

by Anonymousreply 9February 14, 2020 6:54 PM

Nick is so hot.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2020 9:07 AM

[quote]La Bomer

God, you’re a tard.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2020 11:02 AM

Still watching? Do you think Nick will end up in jail or n a mental institution at the end?

by Anonymousreply 12February 25, 2020 4:46 PM

[quote]R9 This season has me hooked line and sinker.

oh dear

by Anonymousreply 13February 25, 2020 6:31 PM

My theory: Jamie and Nick killed a black person under the influence of the "übermensch" racist ideas. Nick saw Jamie as a traitor to the concept after all those years since Jamie is married to a biracial woman and, in that light, the palpable tension during that visit in the first episode makes sense, as well as the visions of Nick trying to kill Jamie's wife and his newborn child. The grave may have been intended either for Jamie or his wife, which would explain why he killed Nick when an opportunity presented itself. Of course, I may be completely wrong interpreting the clues.

by Anonymousreply 14February 25, 2020 9:23 PM

Forgot to mention this: another thing that makes me think my theory might be onto something is the whole subplot with Jamie actively derailing young biracial girl's college chances.

by Anonymousreply 15February 25, 2020 10:29 PM

[quote]Jamie actively derailing young biracial girl's college chances.

Everything he says to her he's really saying about himself. "A letter shouldn't determine your fate" and about her not going to college (since he had to leave when he snapped the first time) is all about his character's feelings about his life.

[quote]Still watching? Do you think Nick will end up in jail or n a mental institution at the end?

It was pretty clear what the outcome of the season will be based upon the actor's makeup & hair at Bill Pullman's on set birthday party.

by Anonymousreply 16February 26, 2020 6:16 AM

We pretty much know the legal/criminal justice outcome for each sinner will result in some form of incarceration. Previously, Ambrose has not only discovered the psychological underpinnings of their crimes, but mitigating factors as well. This time they seem to be hinting that Jamie's crimes are so repugnant as to flip this show dynamic. It's interesting because so far he's a wholly sympathetic character. I'm really looking to see them flesh out the connections between Ambrose and Jamie next,, especially as it relates to their fathers. Sonya is the wild card, we know she is integral to this. So far, I'm really loving this season. I just have to say, Matt is killing it, the entire cast is just first rate.

by Anonymousreply 17February 26, 2020 2:41 PM

Ambrose is a really hot granddaddy.

by Anonymousreply 18February 26, 2020 2:44 PM

We have a new episode tonight. Really looking to see Ambrose and Jamie's relationship heat up as Jamie crosses the line into actual violence. Ambrose is always drawn to his charges because of his identification with them, and it seems more so with Jamie because of shared trauma.. We might find out what happened with both their fathers in this episode, keeps fingers crossed.. But how far will Ambrose being willing to go with Jamie?

by Anonymousreply 19February 27, 2020 5:09 PM

Last episode coming up tomorrow night. I just don’t see how this is going to end. I’ll be watching though.

by Anonymousreply 20March 25, 2020 11:35 PM

Well, I admit it. I never really got the connection between a Jamie and Ambrose (or his connection with anyone really. The ending was poignant, though.

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2020 3:11 PM

Can anyone explain it to me?

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2020 3:16 PM

It's a weird show. Matt Bomer is so handsome that you almost expect people constantly saying to him, "My, you're really handsome." On the other hand, he has those freaky eyes that always make him seem crazy. He's a pretty good actor though, and Chris Messina is also quite good, and they have wonderful chemistry. And despite the 12 years' difference in age, Jessica Hecht and Bill Pullman made an interesting couple--you believe these two strange people would like one another.

But the details are awful. No one has responded to Nietzsche the way Bomer and Messina do since Leopold and Loeb, and their philosophy professor spoke about it uninformedly. Both he and Bomer have unbelievable offices--even Ivy league professors don't have offices like that, and Bomer lives in a much nicer house than he would be able to afford on a high school teacher's salary. And the discussion among Bomer, the principal, and the good student's parents about the recommendation letter was ridiculously ham-handed.

by Anonymousreply 23April 4, 2020 5:57 AM

The former student he ran around in the car with did say that everyone at school thought he was handsome but Jamie was oblivious to it. Otherwise it was implied that Jamie had it all. They laid on the great life, great body, great job, everyone loves him a little thick at the beginning to contrast with how he ended up.

I thought the acting was good but the show was ultimately terribly written this season. Once they went off the original novel the show went downhill. This show made everyone stupid in order to carry the plot forward.

I agree about the office however, you could kinda write off whether or not he'd be able to afford the house on a private school teacher's salary since the town they live in is imaginary. We also don't know what the wife did before she opened up her own shop which would require a lot of capital anyway. They also said they'd known each other for 15 years and had been together a few years before the story started so it seems as if they both had other lives prior to this and I doubt they were slumming it in Brooklyn before buying a house in a small town and intentionally having a kid.

by Anonymousreply 24April 4, 2020 7:25 AM

It was also weird that as a teacher he was normal and nerdy, but once he started to go crazy he became Mr. Smooth and knew all the moves to pick up the three Australian women with the two bankers.

That's a common bizarre idea from literature, TV, and movies: if you go from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde, you have all these suave moves hidden within you you've just been waiting to use in the bars, and they work instantly.

by Anonymousreply 25April 4, 2020 7:21 PM

I think the actors were the saving grace for this season. It was a stellar cast and Matt gave an exceptional performance. He had wonderful chemistry with Pullman and Messina. However, the standout work for me was with Parisa FH. Their last scene together where Jamie came to say goodbye was heartbreaking , so much was conveyed without one word being spoken. Needless to say the death scene with Jamie and Ambrose was just a beautiful intimate piece of work.

The writers lost me when Jamie killed the psychic. It made no narrative sense. The whole introduction of a supernatural element came out of the blue, as well as Ambrose being suddenly rendered stupid. We never get a coherent reason for Jamie’s turn to a serial killer. His character from then on seemed simply a plot device to setup Ambrose as The Sinner this season.

by Anonymousreply 26April 5, 2020 2:54 AM

Agreed R26.

From the audience's perspective the psychic was accurate. From the show's perspective, they never said the the psychic wasn't accurate or that Jamie was hallucinating.

So essentially Nick's spirit really was stalking Jamie because the psychic sensed it. That made this show an entirely different animal than intended. It's now no longer Jamie's fault, it's Nick's ghost from haunting him.

Also Jamie's reason for turning serial killer was explained by Sonya: not just one incident but 1000 cuts from day to day life. The problem is that it's a weak reason. There is nothing special about what Jamie went through. It's probably to imply that any of us could become Jamie but it's clear that other people didn't become Jamie. (Or as his student pointed out, everything is fine now for her when Jamie thought she was going to become him.)

I think the only way any of it makes sense is if we accept that Jamie was an arrogant asshole who thought he was better than everyone else and that he thought he had insight into life that no one else had. As we discovered in the end, he was just as scared of death as everyone else. He was not "special." That makes the character a lot less sympathetic which is counter to what The Sinner normally tries to do.

by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2020 3:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!