Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Liza May rises again!

She looks good in these photos! The interview is the same old BS that she always spouts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350February 25, 2020 3:06 AM

With or without a cane?

by Anonymousreply 1February 4, 2020 4:42 PM

That was a great read, thanks OP.

It's weird that they went so heavy on the makeup (you can really tell in the last photo of the video montage) because they also airbrushed. Do one or the other, not both!

by Anonymousreply 2February 4, 2020 4:42 PM

She looks Joyce DeWitt in the cover photo.

by Anonymousreply 3February 4, 2020 4:45 PM

*looks like

by Anonymousreply 4February 4, 2020 4:45 PM

"I’m getting f—ed by a chair!”

Better than the fags you usually go for..

by Anonymousreply 5February 4, 2020 4:49 PM

[Quote] Right before we did “Cabaret,” Gwen Verdon got sick in “Chicago” on Broadway, and he called me and said, “Can you fill in?” I said, “Absolutely.”

Was this a Back to the Future moment?

by Anonymousreply 6February 4, 2020 4:51 PM

ZZZZZZZZ

by Anonymousreply 7February 4, 2020 4:54 PM

I'm Happy for her!

by Anonymousreply 8February 4, 2020 4:55 PM

These are great pics, good for Liza!

by Anonymousreply 9February 4, 2020 5:08 PM

Rishes

by Anonymousreply 10February 4, 2020 5:17 PM

[quote]These are great pics, good for Liza!

It's great Photoshop work and nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 11February 4, 2020 5:27 PM

Holy shit, is there some kind of Photoshop Oscar? Because somebody has certainly earned it.

And I need to know who's responsible for those pix, because I want a portrait session with them!

by Anonymousreply 12February 4, 2020 5:28 PM

This interview could have occurred anytime in the past 15 years...

by Anonymousreply 13February 4, 2020 5:40 PM

It would be sort of fun for her to get one more great, funny part. Something that would get her a supporting nomination and get the girl in the game again for a bit.

She deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 14February 4, 2020 5:44 PM

I could see her being well utilised in an animated movie.

by Anonymousreply 15February 4, 2020 5:47 PM

[quote] I could see her being well utilised in an animated movie.

Re-animated?

by Anonymousreply 16February 4, 2020 5:56 PM

Nice to see. What a life! She's a very nice woman and surprisingly "normal". I've met her a few times.

by Anonymousreply 17February 4, 2020 6:01 PM

Oh, Liza... If nothing changes, nothing changes.

by Anonymousreply 18February 4, 2020 6:06 PM

[quote]A few days before the shoot, Liza is settling in for a rare interview. She’s sitting on the couch in the living room of her modest Los Angeles-area apartment. The room is cozy, with a grand piano squeezed into the corner. Her Oscar for “Cabaret” sits on a low table alongside a copy of a 1972 Time magazine with Minnelli on the cover. On a table next to the couch are her Tonys, while a collection of additional awards crowd a sideboard near the entryway.

This sounds like Goldie Hawn's apartment in "First Wives Club" -- on a budget.

by Anonymousreply 19February 4, 2020 6:22 PM

[quote]QUESTION: What’s your fondest memory of you and your mom?

[quote]ANSWER: Everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 4, 2020 6:35 PM

Yes, she's been giving this same interview for decades.

by Anonymousreply 21February 4, 2020 6:53 PM

At one time, I purchased a cane of LIza's that I had personally seen her use, R1. Unfortunately, it arrived with the silver dog head damaged and I had to return it.

by Anonymousreply 22February 4, 2020 7:01 PM

Nothing worse than a blemished caneface.

by Anonymousreply 23February 4, 2020 7:03 PM

R22 If only you had realized the silver dog head was on a hinge and hid several eightballs of cocaine, you would not have returned it.

by Anonymousreply 24February 4, 2020 7:03 PM

She gave that interview on the Dick Cavett Show in 1973.

by Anonymousreply 25February 4, 2020 7:10 PM

She's looking more like Coral Browne after her 7th facelift.

by Anonymousreply 26February 4, 2020 7:12 PM

"Los Angeles-area apartment." Is she reduced to poverty in San Bernardino or Riverside County?

And I fear for the apartment under her, what with that piano stuffed into one corner.

by Anonymousreply 27February 4, 2020 7:14 PM

You just know she's seen "Judy", and so have Lorna and Joe.

by Anonymousreply 28February 4, 2020 7:15 PM

[quote] She's looking more like Coral Browne after her 7th facelift.

My wife, the actress, Coral Browne.

by Anonymousreply 29February 4, 2020 7:18 PM

The 48 year-old copy of TIME on the coffee table is VERY Norma Desmond-ish.

by Anonymousreply 30February 4, 2020 7:19 PM

I can barely read it because I can't take her lies.

"She became a fashion icon with her pixie cut (the unintended result of having to chop her locks when playing around with some friends ended with a wad of gum in her hair)" Yeah, RIGHT.

Does she tell the one about how Marilyn Monroe taught her how to walk down the street without being recognized? Or how she told LBJ to get out of Vietnam? Or when the streaker ran past her on the air as she was announcing an Oscar win?

by Anonymousreply 31February 4, 2020 7:20 PM

What about the REPRODUCTION Warhols of her and her parents noted hanging on the wall.

by Anonymousreply 32February 4, 2020 7:21 PM

[quote]Does she tell the one about how Marilyn Monroe taught her how to walk down the street without being recognized?

I gave her a paper bag. I mean, come on, with that nose?

by Anonymousreply 33February 4, 2020 7:22 PM

Liza with a Z-Pak

by Anonymousreply 34February 4, 2020 7:23 PM

What is a Z-Pak? And What is Gold Coast (Not THE Gold Coast)?

by Anonymousreply 35February 4, 2020 7:26 PM

I've never told this to anyone before.

I got my drive from my mother. But I got my DREAMS from my father.

Have I revealed too much?

by Anonymousreply 36February 4, 2020 7:26 PM

Ha ha, R33, true. The truth with so much of her bullshit, in this case, Liza appropriated that story from reading Susan Strasberg.

by Anonymousreply 37February 4, 2020 7:27 PM

Serious airbrushing in person she looks like shit.

by Anonymousreply 38February 4, 2020 7:27 PM

She's great at punctuation, though.

by Anonymousreply 39February 4, 2020 7:29 PM

She still smokes!

Of course, at nearly 74 she's probably in the "fuck it, I've lived this long and it doesn't matter anymore" stage.

by Anonymousreply 40February 4, 2020 7:29 PM

Did you know about her struggles? "No. She wouldn’t tell us that. She was our mother."

How about picking up a newspaper and reading about it like EVERYONE else did? Oh, I forgot, is Liza Illiterate?

by Anonymousreply 41February 4, 2020 7:31 PM

[quote] Oh, I forgot, is Liza Illiterate?

What is “ill lit ur uht”?

by Anonymousreply 42February 4, 2020 7:36 PM

Kind of odd that it's an Oscar issue and not a question about Zellwegger and "Judy"? Off limits?

by Anonymousreply 43February 4, 2020 7:49 PM

There is an exhange about the Zelwegger movie. Liza says she hopes Zelwegger enjoyed making it. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 44February 4, 2020 7:59 PM

She makes out her childhood was blissfully happy and free from all drama.

That's not true.

But it's the history she's settled on for so long now.

by Anonymousreply 45February 4, 2020 8:15 PM

It's the never ending bullshit, R45. Early one she revealed a little, more like as a child she was hiring household staff, but not that she was doing it because mother was passed out on the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 46February 4, 2020 8:20 PM

Is there anyone who is interested in reading an article about Liza Minnelli?

by Anonymousreply 47February 4, 2020 8:24 PM

It's like they cut and pasted bits of her pre-written obituary.

by Anonymousreply 48February 4, 2020 8:24 PM

[quote]The room is cozy, with a grand piano squeezed into the corner. Her Oscar for “Cabaret” sits on a low table alongside a copy of a 1972 Time magazine with Minnelli on the cover. On a table next to the couch are her Tonys, while a collection of additional awards crowd a sideboard near the entryway.

Poor Liza is living in a cold-water studio apartment and sleeping on a Murphy bed with all her awards gathered around her.

by Anonymousreply 49February 4, 2020 8:29 PM

"OK, because this is Variety -- my family Bible! -- I'm going to tell you something I've never told anyone. My mother, a lovely woman, was in pictures! She was! But I can't reveal her name. That's too personal, too close to my heart, ya see? She taught me to keep something for yourself. She said that to me when she refused to give me one of her pain pills when she broke my fingers because she was mad at the studio. That was off the record. She was a perfect mother. Terrif!"

-- Liza with a Zzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 50February 4, 2020 8:34 PM

Mama played Dorothy in "A Star is Born"!

by Anonymousreply 51February 4, 2020 8:37 PM

Just to keep things real...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 4, 2020 8:43 PM

Judy died right around the time Liza was becoming a star in her own right. People only wanted to hear about how wonderful she'd been. She probably believes it herself at this point.

by Anonymousreply 53February 4, 2020 8:44 PM

Judy was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay men were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

Liza is one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay men were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs

by Anonymousreply 54February 4, 2020 8:45 PM

[quote]Judy died right around the time Liza was becoming a star in her own right.

I had won a Tony as a lead on Broadway three years before Mama keeled over on that toilet.

by Anonymousreply 55February 4, 2020 8:47 PM

Pia Zadora is one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay men were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs

by Anonymousreply 56February 4, 2020 8:49 PM

R54- you write the same post almost word for word whenever there's a thread related to Garland. I suppose she had a good heart and Lord knows she was gifted beyond belief, but you are aware that in the last couple years of her life (when that dumb movie takes place) no one would return her calls, including Liza who has said as much. Judy had become completely unmanageable.

by Anonymousreply 57February 4, 2020 8:53 PM

[quote]no one would return her calls, including Liza who has said as much.

"Good golly, that was just the grief talking! Why, Mama and I were thick as thieves (in her case, literally) during her last two years. We talked every night on the phone in our hearts. Darling Mama would sing me to sleep every night. Well, something I'd just fall asleep listening to her talk. She did a lot of that. And it was really fast. My poor ears could never keep up! I tried to sing her to sleep once, but her uppers were more than a match for my vibrato! But, yes, I was always there for her in my own fashion, as Cole would say! Always."

by Anonymousreply 58February 4, 2020 9:01 PM

There sure are some mean trolls on this thread. I guess they think they are funny. Wonder if they've won an Oscar, Tony, Emmy and Grammy? Wonder if their parents were two of the greatest in their chosen fields, ever. Layer on that what she has lived through, the lows and the highs and you've got one of the more interesting stories in all show business. And yes she was a style icon- of the 1st order. She was a muse for Halston who also was one of the greatest American designers of his era, if not the greatest (and an awful man to boot). Posters on these threads really baffle me. No interest in the past, in really great talent- even if it intersects with tragedy. I've met Liza and I want to let you know it is surreal to talk to someone like her. She has been everywhere as they say. She was on first name basis with Sinatra, Taylor, you name them- and she won every damn award in the business. I prefer her mother's voice and work in general, but God damn what a life she has had. Yes she paints a misleading portrait of her life, but if you read between the lines, and around her- it's all fascinating. (I don't know where the quote above comes from- maybe R58 can tell us, but she usually did not take he mother's call in the end when she lived on East 57th St.

by Anonymousreply 59February 4, 2020 9:07 PM

Although Liza MInnelli slops nothing but praise on her mother she distanced herself from her in Judy's tortured later years. Judy was scheduled to appear on a talk show; was it Mike Douglas? I can't remember exactly but I think that's who it was. Anyway, the other guests on the show were to be chosen by Judy. She chose several celebrities (James Mason was among them) "and of course, LIza." NONE of the celebrities she wanted to appear deigned to be on the show. And Liza's management claimed she "absolutely had to be out of town." Judy had to take what she could get; I think one of the guests was Moms Mabley. Judy had very few friends left towards the end of her life. Even her children knew she was too toxic to be around.

by Anonymousreply 60February 4, 2020 9:09 PM

Who wasn't on first name terms with Rip Taylor?

by Anonymousreply 61February 4, 2020 9:15 PM

I think very early on the three Garland children made a pact never to speak ill of her. And what, exactly, is wrong with that?

by Anonymousreply 62February 4, 2020 9:22 PM

LIza and her half siblings definitely loved their mother- not a hint of Mommy Dearest out of any of them. And probably it took them a while to figure out how abnormal their lives were growing up, and then often harrowing. Yet they clearly loved her still. The trolls who think they are clever on this thread aside, don't you find it interesting that she is as sane as she is considering what she lived though as a kid and young adult? Read one of the good bio's of Judy's life. She was a walking tornado for almost her entire adult life. Liza has adopted a means of handling her mother's legacy and her life. That she went on to do what she did, is kind of extraordinary in my opinion. She has the same kind of loyalty to the memory of Halston, who was almost as big a mess as Judy and mean as they come, although not to Liza (the old kiss up, kick down mentality.)

by Anonymousreply 63February 4, 2020 9:28 PM

[quote]The room is cozy, with a grand piano squeezed into the corner.

A description right out of the DailyMail...

by Anonymousreply 64February 4, 2020 9:39 PM

"I think very early on the three Garland children made a pact never to speak ill of her. And what, exactly, is wrong with that?"

They could tell the truth about her without being nasty about it. There's nothing wrong with honesty. It really quite tiresome to hear them blather on about how wonderful she was. I'm sure she had her good qualities but the was so awful at times that Liza stayed away from her and Lorna and Joey fled to the safety of their father's custody.

by Anonymousreply 65February 4, 2020 9:42 PM

R63

“As sane as she is”?

Like... not very.

by Anonymousreply 66February 4, 2020 9:43 PM

Liza Minnelli is a national treasure, a show business icon, Hollywood royalty, incredibly talented, electrifying on stage, kind, funny, warm, sincere and overall one of the nicest persons ever. I had the great opportunity to work with her once. She's unforgettable. Her talent is astounding. There will never be another Liza. She is in a league of her own.

by Anonymousreply 67February 4, 2020 9:45 PM

To speak even slightly ill of her would draw the ire of the Judyites. They don't want that.

by Anonymousreply 68February 4, 2020 9:45 PM

Liza Minnelli rose from the stage as if from the grave.

by Anonymousreply 69February 4, 2020 9:53 PM

She should present the Best Actress Oscar. It would be one of the classic all time award show moments.

by Anonymousreply 70February 4, 2020 9:57 PM

[quote]She should present the Best Actress Oscar.

"So it's such an HONOR to be asked tonight to win this Best Actress Oscar. Again! It's such a dream come true. The one for Cabaret was very special -- you always remember your first -- but this one for -- for -- look at me, I'm so excited I've totally forgotten the name of the picture. Oh, look! This lovely woman with squinty eyes is here to remind me! I tell ya, this town is so terrif!"

by Anonymousreply 71February 4, 2020 10:05 PM

Not one mention of me? What am I, chopped liver?!

by Anonymousreply 72February 4, 2020 10:11 PM

R53, when Judy died, her very messy personal situation has been public for YEARS. Judy was a dead woman walking - a drunk, a drug addict, she looked 20 years older than she actually was, and she was broke. Everyone knew this, even me, and I was 14. Nobody "only wanted to hear about how wonderful she'd been. "

"Judy died right around the time Liza was becoming a star in her own right"

That would be MOVIE star, Liza was already a singing star in TV, records and live.

R60 got this right:

"Although Liza MInnelli slops nothing but praise on her mother she distanced herself from her in Judy's tortured later years"

by Anonymousreply 73February 4, 2020 10:14 PM

Does she ever talk about how her grandpa was a feigeleh?

by Anonymousreply 74February 4, 2020 10:29 PM

Della Reese was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay men were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 75February 4, 2020 10:31 PM

Does Liza still think about Desi, Jr.'s big fat Cuban cock?

by Anonymousreply 76February 4, 2020 10:47 PM

Not in isolation. She thinks of the lines she used to do off it.

by Anonymousreply 77February 4, 2020 10:48 PM

Is she even aware that last year was the 30th anniversary of "Losing My Mind" and the "Results" album? Does she remember anything that happened after 1973?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78February 4, 2020 10:53 PM

Has anyone considered that Liza has lived long enough combined with her drinking-drugging-smoking to have diminished mental capacity aka DEMENTIA?

by Anonymousreply 79February 4, 2020 10:54 PM

As much as I like to make fun of Liza on the pages of the Datalounges, she is a fucking national treasure at the end of the day. I've seen her in concert a number of times, and even the last time five years ago, when she wasn't anywhere near her top form, stlll put on a fantastic theatrical musical show. So long may she wave, may her slur endure and if she just wants to read old reviews onstage, I'm there.

by Anonymousreply 80February 4, 2020 10:54 PM

Loretta Haggers was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay men were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 81February 4, 2020 10:55 PM

Olivia Hussey claimed in her book that Liza and Peter Sellers got married in the 1970s, but had the marriage annulled the next day.

by Anonymousreply 82February 4, 2020 10:57 PM

R80, you and charlie are ruining this thread - start you own.

Is anybody here "Pookie Adams" on Facebook? I want to thank you for all the laughs!

by Anonymousreply 83February 4, 2020 10:57 PM

Linda Lavin was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay men were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 84February 4, 2020 10:58 PM

R82, they were "engaged" for a few weeks, never married. Liza dumped Desi Jr and he acted like she hadn't told him before she was announcing her engagement to Peter Sellers. Liza called him "Peta Sellas."

by Anonymousreply 85February 4, 2020 11:00 PM

Liza would never present the Oscar for Best Actress with Renee Zellwigger almost assured to win deservedly so.

However, Liza should present the Oscar for Best Picture. Liza is an Oscar winner herself, her mother is a legend and the star of so many great movies, and her father is one of the most celebrated directors of all time. Liza is a natural to be on stage as she announces the winner of Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 86February 4, 2020 11:01 PM

And another thing...name Liza as recipient of a Kennedy Center Award for 2020. It's an absolute crime that she doesn't have this award...yet. Give the lady her due!

by Anonymousreply 87February 4, 2020 11:03 PM

R86, I don't believe Liza's able to walk unassisted.

by Anonymousreply 88February 4, 2020 11:04 PM

Miss Piggy was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay men were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 89February 4, 2020 11:05 PM

Liza really does deserve a Kennedy Center Honor. I would love to see her sitting up on that balcony, smoking, during the ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 90February 4, 2020 11:05 PM

R86, NO ONE is going to ask Liza Minnelli to present a best picture Oscar or any Oscar. Plus R88 has a good point.

by Anonymousreply 91February 4, 2020 11:14 PM

I wouldn't even ask her to pass the ketchup at this point.

by Anonymousreply 92February 4, 2020 11:16 PM

Liza: Greatest performance ever:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93February 4, 2020 11:22 PM

Maybe they could put Liza in a wheelchair and have her traverse the stage via moving platforms.

by Anonymousreply 94February 4, 2020 11:29 PM

Wow did she ever have work done, but it looks like good work. I wonder if they were able to do something for her throat so she can sing again. I know she can't really move, nevertheless dance, but if she were in good voice it would be worth it to see her just sit and sing. Well, not to me but for someone who has money to burn.

by Anonymousreply 95February 4, 2020 11:29 PM

At least someone got her away from the jet black hair dye (momentarily). She looks good with a softer palette.

by Anonymousreply 96February 4, 2020 11:35 PM

R94, Worked for me . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97February 4, 2020 11:50 PM

She can glide toward the stage pulled by gravity as did Olivia de Havilland.

by Anonymousreply 98February 4, 2020 11:54 PM

I don't think the Academy would ever want Liza Minnelli to present an Academy Award. There would be too much change of meltdown. Remember the debacle that happened when a zonked out Elizabeth Taylor presented an award at the Golden Globes? Vanity Fair said "the chronically married Grand Dame bungled nothing less than the announcement of the best motion picture drama award. Looking like she was sent into deep-space orbit by Molotov-drug-cocktails Michael Jackson would have envied, Taylor prematurely opened the envelope before announcing the nominees, stopped only from revealing the winner by America's chagrined paterfamilias, Dick Clark. "

by Anonymousreply 99February 5, 2020 12:00 AM

"Wow did she ever have work done, but it looks like good work. I wonder if they were able to do something for her throat so she can sing again. "

I am not fond of her silicone cheek implants, R95. Perhaps there will be something like a laryngitis transplant in her lifetime...don't think so, that's what she needs. Liza may have "money to burn," but she's gotta save a bundle for home health care aides if she intends to live another ten years. There are only so many gay men willing to hang out and put her on the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 100February 5, 2020 12:00 AM

I have seen Liza in concert about eight times. She does not go on stage under the influence. She has had her troubles off stage, but Liza is a professional. Do not confuse an appearance at Studio 54 in the 70s for Liza's appearance on stage especially at the something as prestigious as the Oscars. Now if she can't physically walk due to her ongoing hip and knee difficulties, that's another story. But Liza is a professional for her peers and the audience.

by Anonymousreply 101February 5, 2020 12:18 AM

Didn't Liza fall into the orchestra pit during a rehearsal several years ago?

by Anonymousreply 102February 5, 2020 12:19 AM

^^ Most of them do, eventually.

by Anonymousreply 103February 5, 2020 12:31 AM

"She does not go on stage under the influence."

HA! You must have missed "The Rink," R101

by Anonymousreply 104February 5, 2020 12:37 AM

I saw this on another site and it cracked me up:

[Quote] Doesn't seem like she's promoting anything really, other than a small mention of duetting with her gay friend who runs her instagram.

by Anonymousreply 105February 5, 2020 1:07 AM

I am so gay I actually know what Judy gave Liza as a wedding gift in 1967 when she married Peter Allen.

Any real Judy/Liza Queens out there want to guess?

by Anonymousreply 106February 5, 2020 1:09 AM

His n Hers caftans?

by Anonymousreply 107February 5, 2020 1:12 AM

"Any real Judy/Liza Queens out there want to guess?"

An Irish lace tablecloth? I seem to remember hearing something about Liza wanting one.

by Anonymousreply 108February 5, 2020 1:14 AM

R106, Yes, an Irish lace tablecloth. Judy was going to purchase something cheaper, but when told she had a charge account at the store, she opted for the more expensive tablecloth.

by Anonymousreply 109February 5, 2020 1:17 AM

"Yes, an Irish lace tablecloth. Judy was going to purchase something cheaper, but when told she had a charge account at the store, she opted for the more expensive tablecloth."

I've read several Judy biographies; that's how I came to remember that bit of trivia. Speaking of Judy biographies, two I would recommend are "Judy" by Gerold Frank and "Rainbow: the stormy life of Judy Garland" by Christopher Finch. They're both very well written, balanced, unbiased accounts of Judy Garland's life. "Judy Garland: the secret life of an American legend" by David Shipman isn't a bad read, either. But I'd advise people not to waste time reading "Get Happy: the life of Judy Garland" by Gerald Clarke. Clarke is a big ol' Judy queen; he worships and adores her and believes everything she said, although Judy was known to extravagantly embellish the truth. He also includes a lot of unnecessary sordid tales, like claiming Judy would fellate one of her gay lovers under the table when they were in restaurants. Anyway, his book is trash and not worth reading.

by Anonymousreply 110February 5, 2020 1:33 AM

Vomit stained Tupperware?

by Anonymousreply 111February 5, 2020 1:36 AM

[quote]She does not go on stage under the influence.

Yes, she does. She is notorious for it.

During The Rink, she would hide drugs in her costumes, like Mama.

During Victor/Victoria, she would leave the theater at intermission to meet her "pharmacist" in the alley.

by Anonymousreply 112February 5, 2020 1:54 AM

[quote]She does not go on stage under the influence.

She should try it. Couldn't hurt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113February 5, 2020 1:55 AM

[quote]I am so gay I actually know what Judy gave Liza as a wedding gift in 1967 when she married Peter Allen.

A double-headed dildo!

by Anonymousreply 114February 5, 2020 1:57 AM

I wish Liza had children.

by Anonymousreply 115February 5, 2020 2:07 AM

[quote]Wow did she ever have work done, but it looks like good work.

All of that "work" was done digitally.

by Anonymousreply 116February 5, 2020 2:12 AM

Come on, DL, let's get Liza a Kennedy Center Honor. The recommendation is listed in this link. Let's harness the power of DL for good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117February 5, 2020 2:17 AM

R117, For years, Chita Rivera unsuccessfully spearheaded an effort to get a KCH for Carol Channing.

by Anonymousreply 118February 5, 2020 2:52 AM

You think of some of the questionable entertainers who have gotten Kennedy awards and an EGOT hasn't?

by Anonymousreply 119February 5, 2020 3:15 AM

Two Liza questions: what were the results of the Liza auction a year or two ago, with its amazing catalog? Did it ever happen? Because if it did why didn't we hear about how much some of the big items fetched, as we did with Debbie Reynolds' auction?

The article says repro Warhols--was she able to get the $40M she was asking for the originals, and again, was the sale figure reported anywhere? That would've been an art world story as well as a showbiz story, no?

And a comment re: "Mama never shared that with us" This contrasts mightily with Lorna's tales of putting sugar in the pills per Sid's instructions and knowing how to work the stomach pump and seeing Mama come at Little Joey with the knife.

Also, even with Liza's extraordinary standalone career, it's crazy how much interviews still tend to be very focused on her parents. Most interviewers seem to want to get something lurid on Judy, and respectfully ask about Vincente because they know she's a daddy's girl.

She certainly seems to hold to what she said in an interview a while back "if you don't have the memories you want, make 'em up"

by Anonymousreply 120February 5, 2020 4:35 AM

Rising . . . in Madam Tussaud’s.

by Anonymousreply 121February 5, 2020 5:33 AM

Could not resist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122February 5, 2020 5:43 AM

Liza is a dyke, WTF would she do with Desi Arnaz?

by Anonymousreply 123February 5, 2020 8:42 AM

[quote]What about the REPRODUCTION Warhols of her and her parents noted hanging on the wall.

She sold the originals a while back, and the reason we don't know how much they fetched is because the buyers most certainly wanted to keep that a secret.

And I don't know why someone is saying we never heard about the auction after the fact, there were several articles about the final total being well over $1M.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124February 5, 2020 10:29 AM

Was Mark Gero her only straight husband?

by Anonymousreply 125February 5, 2020 11:43 AM

[quote]mother was passed out on the toilet

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 126February 5, 2020 11:55 AM

I'm not the biggest Liza fan, but I've always heard she is a real doll to wrk with. She may drive you crazy with her manic behavior, but there isn't a mean bone in her body. She has a very good, loving heart.

Do you think Liza and Barbra hang out together?

by Anonymousreply 127February 5, 2020 1:20 PM

[Quote] a real doll to wrk with. She may drive you crazy with her manic behavior

by Anonymousreply 128February 5, 2020 1:21 PM

I hope you're kidding R115

by Anonymousreply 129February 5, 2020 1:36 PM

R127, we've been all through the "good heart" crap, see numerous posts above. I see Liza as a super needy pain in the ass. Not obviously self-centered like most stars, but totally self-absorbed in her need for constant attention. Just because it isn't "mean" doesn't mean it isn't exhausting and not normal. If you want to define that as having a "good heart" fine. I define it as manipulation.

"Also, even with Liza's extraordinary standalone career, it's crazy how much interviews still tend to be very focused on her parents."

Note the interview questions about her mother were intense at the beginning...and again now at the end. (Liza was the one to bring up her father in most cases) There was a period when Liza was at the height of her career where there were hardly any Judy questions.

by Anonymousreply 130February 5, 2020 1:54 PM

A friend of mine got to know Liza when she was caring for Peter Allen. He speaks about how she sacrificed everything and even stayed sober to make sure Peter's end of time was dignified.

She took great care of him, they may have never mated but she loved him and the care she gave him is proof of her heart.

That good heart may only apply to a few but she is to be admired for that.

by Anonymousreply 131February 5, 2020 2:19 PM

Are we to believe that Peter Allen had no means of support except for Liza? Are we to believe that she put the cigarettes and booze down so she could put him on the toilet? Don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 132February 5, 2020 2:24 PM

Well, she didn't put the cigs down.

by Anonymousreply 133February 5, 2020 2:57 PM

"I wish Liza had children."

We are all her children here, on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 134February 5, 2020 4:26 PM

Yes, R134, someday we will all try to revive her as she falls from the toilet onto the bathroom floor.

by Anonymousreply 135February 5, 2020 4:40 PM

You're my mentor too!

by Anonymousreply 136February 5, 2020 4:45 PM

Has Liza ever acknowledged her father's homosexuality?

by Anonymousreply 137February 5, 2020 4:52 PM

I love Liza Minnelli. Of course she's had problems, starting with having to be the adult for her mother. She and Michael Feinstein have been friends for years and I am one who is glad that he's keeping on eye on her and taking care of her. Who else would there be? Not her siblings, she and Lorna have always had an on-again-off-again relationship over the years. I hope she is able to rest and relax and enjoy herself in whatever time she has left. She always gave 100% in concert performances and I have heard numerous times that she is one of the nicest people in show business. She Is A Star.

by Anonymousreply 138February 5, 2020 5:12 PM

[quote] Has Liza ever acknowledged her father's homosexuality?

If by acknowledged you mean denied it it vociferously, then yes.

by Anonymousreply 139February 5, 2020 5:14 PM

r115 No. A shame there is no one to carry on Judy, Vincente and Liza's legacy.

by Anonymousreply 140February 5, 2020 5:19 PM

Don't worry.

Someone, somewhere will always be flinging vodka bottles at their obviously gay husband.

Their lifework will live on.

by Anonymousreply 141February 5, 2020 5:24 PM

I wonder how many abortions she has had.

by Anonymousreply 142February 5, 2020 5:24 PM

Liza wonders too.

by Anonymousreply 143February 5, 2020 5:25 PM

Lorna has been fighting cancer (her own, smartasses!) in recent years. She's fighting for her life. She could hardly be expected to hide booze from Liza, or whatever her caretakers mostly do.

by Anonymousreply 144February 5, 2020 5:30 PM

I've had more children pulled out of me than a burning orphanage!

by Anonymousreply 145February 5, 2020 5:31 PM

People just assume that -- given her lack of career -- Lorna would have time to look after Liza.

by Anonymousreply 146February 5, 2020 5:35 PM

Does Liza get out much? I'd hate to think of her just sitting around her apartment doing nothing all day.

by Anonymousreply 147February 5, 2020 5:47 PM

She smokes.

by Anonymousreply 148February 5, 2020 5:51 PM

Love her!

by Anonymousreply 149February 5, 2020 6:04 PM

R130. You are wrong. I have worked with Liza. She’s gracious, kind and polite. And of course, incredibly talented. She is not manipulative and needy. She’s a true professional.

by Anonymousreply 150February 5, 2020 6:05 PM

Except when she's not. Are you saying "The Rink" never happened? "The Act"?

by Anonymousreply 151February 5, 2020 6:09 PM

Vincent Minnelli was married to women four times. Yeah sure, he still could have been gay; however, that’s an awful lot of times to keep getting married. He even got married a couple of times when he was long out of the spotlight and could have just quietly lived his life. I am not implying that he had to come out publicly. But why keep getting married even as an older man? I have my doubts about Vincent Minnelli being gay.

by Anonymousreply 152February 5, 2020 6:11 PM

R151. I view Liza’s life in its totality and not judged by one or two shows that may have been troubling and challenging. Liza is a good person, kind person, not to mention a great big star.

by Anonymousreply 153February 5, 2020 6:16 PM

The actress Coral Browne married Vincent Price because she'd stopped receiving invites to dinner parties. In her generation, a woman needed an escort. DL fave Dolores Gray settled for quietly out gay men, like Dick Kallman.

by Anonymousreply 154February 5, 2020 6:16 PM

r153

Troubling? Liza got to lipsync in "The Act." She was so troubled she had to go to Studio 54 as many nights of the week as possible.

by Anonymousreply 155February 5, 2020 6:17 PM

[Quote] I view Liza’s life in its totality and not judged by one or two shows that may have been troubling and challenging.

Here's another show: "Victor/Victoria."

by Anonymousreply 156February 5, 2020 6:18 PM

I think Liza smokes and watched The View if she wake up in time.

Btw, Liza's excessive neediness is well documented. She can't sleep without TV/radio on or people in the room.

R152, are you under 30?

by Anonymousreply 157February 5, 2020 6:52 PM

Do you think Liza is gay or bi? It's weird that she mostly married gay men and had no children.

by Anonymousreply 158February 5, 2020 6:56 PM

Vincente Minnelli was openly gay as a young man in NYC. This was confirmed by numerous people who knew him then. He closeted himself when he went to Hollywood. Back in those days, that's just how it was. Even Liberace pretended to be straight, FFS.

by Anonymousreply 159February 5, 2020 6:57 PM

She's bi, R158. And the marriages are because it takes a special type of gay man to hang around her and catering to her 24/7 needs. The straight one was a mutual drug habit thing (or so it was said at the time), and they were on and off. A drugged straight guy cannot handle that kind of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 160February 5, 2020 7:03 PM

She's bi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161February 5, 2020 7:16 PM

[quote] Here's another show: "Victor/Victoria."

Julie Andrews didn't do drugs and she still lost her voice. Explain that.

by Anonymousreply 162February 5, 2020 7:25 PM

Did Liza really turn out Chita's Lisa?

by Anonymousreply 163February 5, 2020 7:32 PM

"I have my doubts about Vincent Minnelli being gay."

Oh my God, LOTS of gay men marry women, especially in the entertainment industry. I think Minnelli LIKED women, and was probably very fond of his wives. But it's a well known Hollywood fact that VIncent Minnelli liked man sex. He was Judy Garland's first gay husband.

by Anonymousreply 164February 5, 2020 8:17 PM

R164 = Lenny Bernstein

by Anonymousreply 165February 5, 2020 9:41 PM

R144, Lorna was well enough to perform at Jerry Herman's memorial service in NYC this past Monday.

by Anonymousreply 166February 5, 2020 9:43 PM

R137, Or her grandfather's?

by Anonymousreply 167February 5, 2020 9:44 PM

[Quote] Lorna was well enough to perform at Jerry Herman's memorial service in NYC this past Monday.

That's great but the woman had some of her chest wall removed in the last five years. Liza can probably do those Arrested Development pratfalls better than Lorna can.

by Anonymousreply 168February 5, 2020 9:48 PM

Peculiar fact: Lena Horne clamped her hooks into Vincent Minnelli when he directed her in his first film, Cabin in the Sky (1943).

Minnelli knew Lena slightly from NYC, and they became friends in Hollywood. He could have been the white husband ambitious Lena craved so badly, but Vincent refused to bite. Just think what kind of movie jobs he could have gotten for her if they were a pair! If this was during the post-war period, it might have come true... Lena knew to associate with white men. It wasn't going to be Minnelli, so she found a willing gay white male, conductor Lennie Hayton, and concentrated more on music. How handy these gay men are - they help at work and leave you alone at home!

by Anonymousreply 169February 5, 2020 10:49 PM

[quote] Just think what kind of movie jobs he could have gotten for her if they were a pair!

Very few.

by Anonymousreply 170February 5, 2020 10:52 PM

Has Liza commented on Kirk's passing?

by Anonymousreply 171February 5, 2020 11:32 PM

I think Vincent married so many times because he was desperate to be seen as straight. He was totally gay. Also while some people might consider themselves bi, I don't believe in bi. There is always a preference and the other sex is chosen for show or for gay people to even hide that they are gay from themselves. What is so sick is that Judy picked this gay husband for her daughter, unless Judy knew Liza was gay and figured WTF Peter is a nice guy so he might as well be her beard and she his.

by Anonymousreply 172February 5, 2020 11:43 PM

Judy died at 47. Liza turns 74 this year.

by Anonymousreply 173February 6, 2020 12:49 AM

[quote]Minnelli knew Lena slightly from NYC, and they became friends in Hollywood. He could have been the white husband ambitious Lena craved so badly, but Vincent refused to bite. Just think what kind of movie jobs he could have gotten for her if they were a pair! If this was during the post-war period, it might have come true... Lena knew to associate with white men.

I find this post kind of ugly. It is what it is, not inferring anything but what the poster intends. But it's ugly. Lena Horne was a complicated woman, she didn't associate with white men for "privilege." You assume way too much privilege yourself in suggesting it R169. Lena wasn't a great actress. She was a pretty good singer. She didn't have to suck an ugly fags dick to get a secondary role in all white Hollywood. Lena Horne was black in the 1940s and for most of her life. Vincente Minnelli couldn't help her with that. Flaming as he was.

They were more likely friends. Maybe just that.

by Anonymousreply 174February 6, 2020 1:22 AM

What can I say? I wanted to do life like Mama. Only better.

by Anonymousreply 175February 6, 2020 1:39 AM

Does Liza ever leave her apartment. or is she homebound? Does she go out to eat at restaurants, or to the movies?

by Anonymousreply 176February 6, 2020 1:46 AM

She goes to dance class. And a class to mould in clay.

by Anonymousreply 177February 6, 2020 1:50 AM

Of course she's full of bullshit.

That's what keeps her inflated.

And with all those lies, she's not full of hot air.

It's methane.

by Anonymousreply 178February 6, 2020 1:55 AM

Truth. I heard Sandy Duncan at a party way back say that she had cut down on coke because she didn't want her nose to collapse the way Liza's did.

Obviously Sandy had her eye on Miss Minnelli.

Just the one.

by Anonymousreply 179February 6, 2020 1:56 AM

[quote] Also while some people might consider themselves bi, I don't believe in bi. There is always a preference and the other sex is chosen for show or for gay people to even hide that they are gay from themselves.

Biphobia isn't acceptable. This is disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 180February 6, 2020 1:58 AM

I will not stand for the denial of Jerri Blank!

by Anonymousreply 181February 6, 2020 1:59 AM

I believe Liza moved from New York, New York to Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 182February 6, 2020 2:25 AM

Liza sold her apartment at the Imperial House about five years ago and moved to Shierra Towersh in LA. She'd lived in Imperial House since the 70s. Joan Crawford and Lucille Ball also lived there.

by Anonymousreply 183February 6, 2020 2:38 AM

R174 you, know nothing of Lena's history. She never ever had to "suck an ugly fags dick." She was willing to do a lot for Orson Welles and Artie Shaw to wanted to marry either - but she got her white man in a fat ass homo musical director named Lennie Hayton. They remained married for 23 years although they went their separate ways, and lived on different coasts for a decade before his death. Do some research before shooting your ignorant mouth off, K?

by Anonymousreply 184February 6, 2020 2:48 AM

Oh forgot to tell R174, Lena admitted as early as 1972 (in Jet) that she married Hayton in 1947 to further her career. Guess that's a surprise to you.

by Anonymousreply 185February 6, 2020 2:52 AM

Liza with Peter Allen on her wedding day, with Momma and Poppa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186February 6, 2020 3:03 AM

Why did she move to LA? All her friends were in NYC. I guess the rest of her family lived in LA.

by Anonymousreply 187February 6, 2020 3:06 AM

Spitcurls we called them in my day.

by Anonymousreply 188February 6, 2020 3:06 AM

[quote]She'd lived in Imperial House since the 70s. Joan Crawford and Lucille Ball also lived there.

John Daley too. And Anthony Newley and Joan Colllins.

by Anonymousreply 189February 6, 2020 3:09 AM

R186 That is, literally, the picture of a dysfunctional family.

The gay man married to a drug addict attending the wedding of his drug addict daughter marrying a gay man.

Oy!

by Anonymousreply 190February 6, 2020 3:30 AM

[quote]but she got her white man in a fat ass homo musical director named Lennie Hayton. They remained married for 23 years although they went their separate ways, and lived on different coasts for a decade before his death. Do some research before shooting your ignorant mouth off, K?

[quote] you, know nothing of Lena's history. She never ever had to "suck an ugly fags dick."

[quote]Lena admitted as early as 1972 (in Jet) that she married Hayton in 1947 to further her career. Guess that's a surprise to you.

Yeah, I am surprised. That you don't know how racist you sound? Who married who to advance their career is quite different from any black woman marrying a white man in the 1940's. In 1948, 30 out of the then 48 states enforced anti-miscegenation laws. Your whole premise is racist. Do some research.

by Anonymousreply 191February 6, 2020 3:31 AM

R186 Peter Allen was cute when he had hair. And was alive.

by Anonymousreply 192February 6, 2020 3:31 AM

Peter Allen still has hair. He was never cute. Sawed off teeth and sequins.

by Anonymousreply 193February 6, 2020 3:33 AM

By the way, it's Vincente Minnelli, not Vincent.

by Anonymousreply 194February 6, 2020 4:29 AM

Madonna is one of the least talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and skanky sex throughout her life. Despite that, she had a cold heart, which is very typical to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay men were slutty beyond belief, they identified with her promiscuity and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 195February 6, 2020 5:35 AM

R132 Booze was put down in his last year, cigarettes no.

by Anonymousreply 196February 6, 2020 8:25 AM

R158 Liza is a dyke

by Anonymousreply 197February 6, 2020 8:28 AM

[quote]I don't believe in bi

You can refuse to believe in any number of things that are true, that doesn't mean shit. Your opinion is irrelevant.

You sound like a flat-earther or anti-vaxxer.

by Anonymousreply 198February 6, 2020 9:22 AM

I don't believe in Bi men.

Turns out every single one is just waiting (in fear) until they can finally say 'I'm gay'.

by Anonymousreply 199February 6, 2020 10:38 AM

R199 I do believe in idiots and you have reaffirmed my faith.

by Anonymousreply 200February 6, 2020 10:43 AM

I don't belive in Mormons.

by Anonymousreply 201February 6, 2020 10:57 AM

*believe

by Anonymousreply 202February 6, 2020 10:57 AM

Her mom did that, always miraculously rising from the ashes for one more glorious go.

by Anonymousreply 203February 6, 2020 11:01 AM

"That you don't know how racist you sound? Who married who to advance their career is quite different from any black woman marrying a white man in the 1940's. In 1948, 30 out of the then 48 states enforced anti-miscegenation laws. Your whole premise is racist. Do some research"

R191, Lena Horne was not "any black woman," and that's what we're talking about here. Try to follow, this is a Liza Minnelli thread which touches on famous women who marry gay. Only in this case Lena Horne married gay and white. The white part was well planned. If you think this was racist, I suggest you take it up with her remaining family. Do YOUR research.

by Anonymousreply 204February 6, 2020 3:02 PM

Sam Smith was one of the most talented singers ever. Xe also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout xyr life. Despite that, xe had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when non-binaries were oppressed beyond belief, xe identified with xyr struggles and xe xyrs.

by Anonymousreply 205February 6, 2020 4:49 PM

I love Liza. The only thing I dislike is how awful she treats herself. We should all be enjoying her watching her perform. She is as great as her mother.

by Anonymousreply 206February 6, 2020 5:28 PM

[Quote] We should all be enjoying her watching her perform

You mean one of those "A Evening with" clipshow fests?

by Anonymousreply 207February 6, 2020 5:31 PM

R206, Liza is nowhere near the singer that Judy was.

by Anonymousreply 208February 6, 2020 5:51 PM

Judy was a belter. Liza was a shouter.

by Anonymousreply 209February 6, 2020 5:52 PM

Too bad Ralph Edwards is no longer around. Liza would be a GREAT candidate for "This Is Your Life!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210February 6, 2020 5:57 PM

Lorna performed at Jerry Herman's memorial service this past Monday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211February 6, 2020 6:02 PM

Is Lorna pregnant?

by Anonymousreply 212February 6, 2020 7:23 PM

R212 has never seen Mame.

by Anonymousreply 213February 6, 2020 7:32 PM

Funniest story I read in a biography of Judy was that the other MGM starlets were telling her Minnelli was gay after they got engaged and Judy just wouldn't believe it. She asked why they thought that and one of them (I think Ann Miller and she told the author the story) said Honey, he wears lavender eye shadow.

by Anonymousreply 214February 6, 2020 7:56 PM

Was Judy's first husband, David Rose, gay?

He was also once married to Martha Raye.

by Anonymousreply 215February 6, 2020 7:59 PM

Yes, r212, and so is Arlene Francis!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216February 6, 2020 8:39 PM

I heard that Judy saw Peter Allen perform and was quite taken with him. She essentially fixed him up with Liza; they clicked, and got married. Of course it didn't work; he was gay. But how about that; Judy fixes her daughter up with a gay man! Well, maybe she thought he'd make Liza a good husband, despite his sexual preference.

by Anonymousreply 217February 6, 2020 9:21 PM

"Was Judy's first husband, David Rose, gay?"

No. David Rose was a talented musician and a nice, boring guy, but he was not gay. He was Judy's starter marriage; she was only 18 when she married him. She liked him but really it was an attempt to be on her own without her mother watching over her. The marriage didn't last long and produced no children; supposedly she became pregnant when married to Rose but was convinced to have an abortion because it supposedly would have harmed her career. Anyway, David Rose and Sid Luft were her only husbands who were NOT gay.

by Anonymousreply 218February 6, 2020 9:25 PM

R218, Martha "Cocklover" Raye never would have married a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 219February 6, 2020 9:40 PM

R14 She was Lucille 2 in Arrested Development and did a great job.

by Anonymousreply 220February 6, 2020 9:47 PM

[quote]sexual preference

Oh, dear. For shame.

by Anonymousreply 221February 6, 2020 10:00 PM

[quote] I don't believe in Bi men. Turns out every single one is just waiting (in fear) until they can finally say 'I'm gay'.

Why are you doubling down? You have any idea what cancelling bi people does to them?

by Anonymousreply 222February 6, 2020 10:35 PM

She’s so airbrushed she looks like a different fucking person. Sad! x

by Anonymousreply 223February 6, 2020 10:46 PM

Rhonda, are you ever going to get sick of that cutesy "x"?

by Anonymousreply 224February 6, 2020 10:51 PM

Liza wasn't ever in Judy's league as a singer or a voice, but she's a pretty special singer and talent. She's been an awesome performer.. One of the great ones, and y'all haters need to step off. I saw her once when she was young, and I was really young, went with the folks to see Liza With A Z. If you never saw her live in those days you don't know anything, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 225February 6, 2020 11:03 PM

Everyone has seen Liza With a Z.

by Anonymousreply 226February 6, 2020 11:15 PM

"Martha "Cocklover" Raye never would have married a gay man."

Your attempt at humor is lost on me. Anyway, I know all about Mark Harris, Raye's giggling final husband. He was decades younger than her and gay as a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide. She was elderly and half dead when she married him. When a friend asked her why she married the awful Harris Raye reportedly replied "he's a man...and I don't want to be alone." I think Judy Garland felt the same way about her awful last gay husband Mickey Deans.

by Anonymousreply 227February 6, 2020 11:18 PM

Liza was with Judy when she was more stable, so she probably has better memories of Judy. Liza has always said that Judy was funny, very optimistic and made everything a big adventure. It's always been in Liza's interest to focus on the better times instead capitalizing on the mess like others have. Excluding Lorna, because that book was obviously therapy.

Liza's probably tired of the constant emphasis on the drugs and the tragedy when it comes to Judy. There's so much more when it comes to her story, and so many other parts to dwell on without always going to the negative.

by Anonymousreply 228February 6, 2020 11:29 PM

[quote] Everyone has seen Liza With a Z.

Yeah I stand corrected, that was the TV show. We saw her live in concert in the early 80s but the name of the show wasn't Liza With A Z.

by Anonymousreply 229February 6, 2020 11:49 PM

" He was decades younger than her and gay as a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide."

I'm going to use that to describe myself, except to change it to "decades older."

by Anonymousreply 230February 6, 2020 11:51 PM

To David Rose' s credit he never talked about his marriage to Judy.

by Anonymousreply 231February 7, 2020 12:20 AM

Lorna’s vibrato sounded like she was about to go into labor.

by Anonymousreply 232February 7, 2020 12:24 AM

R231, Elder gays will remember that David Rose was the orchestra leader on "The Red Skelton Show".

by Anonymousreply 233February 7, 2020 12:40 AM

And was responsible for "Holiday for Strings," which morphed into "Holiday for States."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234February 7, 2020 12:46 AM

Not to mention "The Stripper."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235February 7, 2020 12:47 AM

R235, My entrance music.

by Anonymousreply 236February 7, 2020 12:50 AM

I thought Liza was better - and new and exciting - pre Cabaret drag queen era, but R225 is RIGHT.

by Anonymousreply 237February 7, 2020 12:51 AM

R227, Martha was bi... or more likely gay when she had her marbles.

by Anonymousreply 238February 7, 2020 1:05 AM

Saw Liza perform in person numerous times since 1974, both in concert and on Broadway.

For me, her 1987 Carnegie Hall engagement was her apex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239February 7, 2020 1:13 AM

My parents went to see Martha Raye back in I think the 50s or 60s at some nightclub at the beach (Salisbury Beach, NH) (I think it was The Frolics). My folks actually had stories about seeing a lot of famous performers. They went to drag shows, even, they weren't your typical suburban church people or something. But my mom always said Martha's banter was the crudest, filthiest stuff she ever heard. Was really disappointed as she was a fan from her movies.

by Anonymousreply 240February 7, 2020 1:14 AM

R228, you are certainly full of fantasy.

"Liza's probably tired of the constant emphasis on the drugs and the tragedy when it comes to Judy."

SINCE 1969 Liza has been asked about drugs and drink and why she ISN'T/would never become LIKE JUDY. Less than ten years later she was, in public. And as for your claim that Judy was more stable when Liza was around, in your fantasy, was that BEFORE Liza left for New York in 1963?

by Anonymousreply 241February 7, 2020 1:15 AM

The denial of bisexuality is absurd, bigoted and inhumane.

Individuals change and develop, But that doesn't have anything to do with negating (stupidly) an entire category of human sexuality.

I'm bisexual. I live as a gay man with a partner of many years, but it would be denying something fundamental about my true life if I denied the relationships I had in the past or the sensations and feelings I have now. Just like a straight-living woman who is a closeted gay, people are more than their current choices of expression.

Too many unfit judges here, ignorant, biased, controlling and rather fascistic.

I love Liza but what a mess!

by Anonymousreply 242February 7, 2020 1:16 AM

R240, This sketch rehearsal shows how raunchy Martha could be.

"A tongue like that and all he wants to do is hump."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243February 7, 2020 1:21 AM

When did Liza completely redo her nose? Her nose is the OP's photo is not at all the same one she had in the Seventies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244February 7, 2020 2:16 AM

I remember, way back when, Liza Minnelli said she NEVER took drugs, not even "an aspirin." Liar, liar pants on fire!

by Anonymousreply 245February 7, 2020 2:42 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246February 7, 2020 2:51 AM

She's a darling, marvelous woman, she's just so [italic]chic[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 247February 7, 2020 3:27 AM

And she's [italic]purty![/italic]

by Anonymousreply 248February 7, 2020 3:48 AM

I don't know why she and Lorna refuse to see "Judy."

I think Garland comes off pretty sympathetically in the film.

by Anonymousreply 249February 7, 2020 3:50 AM

Whenever I want to laugh really hard, I just watch this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250February 7, 2020 3:55 AM

I prefer this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251February 7, 2020 3:59 AM

Did anyone here read this? Judy & Liza & Robert & Freddie & David & Sue & Me...: A Memoir by Stevie Phillips. There's probably already been threads about it but anyhow Poor Judy does not come off too well. Read it once, probably wouldn't again. Judy was a mess, Sid Luft threw Stevie Phillips against a wall, Liza was nice up to a point. Vincente didn't/wouldn't pay for Liza's wedding to Peter Allen. Liza came to NYC at 16 and slept in the park. They all sound nuts.

by Anonymousreply 252February 7, 2020 4:02 AM

Oh please!!!!!!!! Listen to Liza she's every bit as good as her mother

by Anonymousreply 253February 7, 2020 5:09 AM

Oh God, momma this and daddy that. Go away.

by Anonymousreply 254February 7, 2020 5:22 AM

Anyone who believes Judy's three children have not seen "Judy" is naive.

by Anonymousreply 255February 7, 2020 7:29 AM

R244, I don't know about the nose (I doubt it) but besides Liza's facelifts, she's clearly had cheek implants that have distorted her face a bit. Two things nobody mentions somehow - Liza's oversized lips have thinned down to almost nothing (it happens with age), and her big clunky front teeth have been replaced by a full or partial plate, that means a removable denture.

by Anonymousreply 256February 7, 2020 1:45 PM

If thish ish a ghet-toe, I'm in itch with you

If it'sh jusht a prish-shon, I'm lockch in itch too

I tried to leave you but after all that we had shaid

I went to peesh-shes when I shhould have shhouted and schreamed inschtead

Shho shorry, I shaid

Your powershh of pershuashion, those quish-ical eyesh

Have tired and tied me with inno-shent guilesh

I would have walkt out and after all the tearshh we shhed

I shhould have shtalked out gone and painted the town brightch red but inshtead

Shho shorry, I shaid

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257February 8, 2020 3:36 AM

Liza housed and supported her godmother Kay Thompson for years in her penurious old age (Kay's). Liza owned an apartment on Central Park South where Kay lived, and has also supported her half brother most of his life. Liza also owned her late father's home and was basically forced to continue its pricey upkeep until his widow died years later. The last Mrs. Minnelli (Lee Minnelli) used the courts to shame Liza and basically dared Liza to suffer the unflattering headlines "Liza Minnelli Tosses Elderly Step-Mother onto Street!", which of course did not happen....but if Liza weren't so generous and supporting all these people, it might have!

Liza never mentions any of this because she is a decent person.

by Anonymousreply 258February 8, 2020 4:37 AM

R258 = Michael Feinstein

by Anonymousreply 259February 8, 2020 4:40 AM

Not in the slightest, r259.

You aren't nearly as clever as you think. I just remember the 80s and 90s.

by Anonymousreply 260February 8, 2020 4:44 AM

Liza didn't live on CPS, she lived at the Imperial House on E. 69th.

Vincente Minnelli was only married to his last wife, Lee, for six years when he died. She and Liza never cared for each other. Liza, being the dutiful daughter, told her father that she would take care of her stepmother and let her live in the house for the rest of her life. Good of Liza, since she never liked the bitch and as stated Lee was only married to Vincente for six lousy years. Lee was close to eighty at the time so Liza figured she would be dead within five years and that would be it.

Well, the old bitch ended up living to be a hundred years old! Liza ended up taking care of her financially for nearly TWENTY-FIVE years. Liza tried to get Lee to move out of the giant Beverly Hills mansion (which was a big money pit) and into a nice condo, but Lee wasn't having it. She was a constant pain in Liza's ass and Liza spent a fortune on the old bitch. To Liza's credit she kept her promise to her father but she never anticipated her stepmother would've lived so damn long and it was a big financial burden to her.

by Anonymousreply 261February 8, 2020 4:49 AM

R258, that's admirable. But most wealthy celebs support a shitload of relatives and ex-husbands/wives. If Liza had children, they'd likely be deadbeats living off allowance and trust funds.

by Anonymousreply 262February 8, 2020 1:17 PM

R262, I beg your pardon?

by Anonymousreply 263February 8, 2020 1:21 PM

[quote] I don't know why she and Lorna refuse to see "Judy." I think Garland comes off pretty sympathetically in the film.

There is nothing any film or filmmaker can show them about their own lives with their mother that they didn’t already see firsthand.

by Anonymousreply 264February 8, 2020 2:23 PM

Someone is making a buck off their mother (and it's not Lorna). Is it surprising that they don't want to engage with that?

by Anonymousreply 265February 8, 2020 2:25 PM

Liza will fly into a drunken rage if Renee Zellwegger wins tomorrow night.

by Anonymousreply 266February 8, 2020 2:31 PM

Liza promised Hugh Jackman that she would attend a performance of The Boy from Oz, but she never did.

by Anonymousreply 267February 8, 2020 2:36 PM

Liza was already on her own when Judy's worst behavior began to manifest.

Liza was whisked away to Kay Thompson's when Judy had her rough spots. I'm sure she saw some stuff, but to the extent that Lorna and John did?

by Anonymousreply 268February 8, 2020 2:40 PM

[quote]There is nothing any film or filmmaker can show them about their own lives with their mother that they didn’t already see firsthand.

Not true. Liza doesn't have any awareness of the reality of her life with Judy. She's mostly replaced all the bad memories with made-up good ones.

Some people do that.

by Anonymousreply 269February 8, 2020 2:42 PM

People want Liza to trash Judy. Liza has always doted on Judy's good humor, her way of making everything a fun adventure, while keeping the negative times to herself. It's no ones business as to what she went through with Judy or if she should share it or not. Liza does what Liza wants to, and it appears to have worked for her, so who's right and who's wrong?

by Anonymousreply 270February 8, 2020 2:47 PM

R270, are you aware that the entire world knew that Judy was an alcoholic drug addict who owed the IRS millions? Nice that Liza keeps her mouth shut about her mother's troubles except for the 10% of good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 271February 8, 2020 5:56 PM

I'd say that a good proportion of Liza's fans are Judy fans. It would be stupid for her to say anthing negative about her mother.

by Anonymousreply 272February 8, 2020 6:02 PM

You can be a fan of both and accept that they both have their flaws.

But I doubt reporters in 1970 (when Liza got her first Oscar nom) were going to try and understand Liza's truth about her childhood.

So she gives people what she thinks they want to hear.

by Anonymousreply 273February 8, 2020 6:09 PM

[quote] [R270], are you aware that the entire world knew that Judy was an alcoholic drug addict who owed the IRS millions? Nice that Liza keeps her mouth shut about her mother's troubles except for the 10% of good stuff.

Judy Garland was one of the most talented singers ever. She farted rainbows and ruby sequins, and gay liberation came from the last dying queefs of her vagina the moment she died. In spite of basically being a walking, talking pharmacy, she identified with gay men’s struggles because let’s face it: some gay men are also walking, talking pharmacies. In spite of that, she had a good stash, which she bought with the money that was supposed to go to food for her children. In trying to forgetting her troubles and get happy, she still wasn‘t ready for the judgement day.

by Anonymousreply 274February 8, 2020 6:16 PM

Forget

by Anonymousreply 275February 8, 2020 6:17 PM

R273, that was right after Judy's death. There was nothing we needed to hear because her life as the pathetic tragic Judy figure we all knew had been silenced less than a year. It was Liza's time, and she gave a little perfunctory lip service to the subject when asked. Since home video, people are more familiar with the MGM Judy, in 1970 most under 45 only knew Judy from The Wizard of Oz on film.

by Anonymousreply 276February 8, 2020 6:20 PM

That's what I mean: just as Liza was hitting the big time people were mourning Judy and didn't want an expose about how awful she truly was.

by Anonymousreply 277February 8, 2020 6:29 PM

Helen Lawson was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay men were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 278February 8, 2020 6:32 PM

I get ir R277. For those of you not around, Judy's death was mostly seen with relief, not shock. It was expected, and there was a minimum of mourning.* There were also a lot of people who looked down on her because of her alcoholism, skipping shows etc. She was "that drunk." This was a time when people considered drunks weak willed, lacking in character and morals, especially women drunks.

* I'm not talking of Stonewall, gay fans, people lined up at Frank Campbell's and all that

by Anonymousreply 279February 8, 2020 6:44 PM

R258 Liza wanted to move her stepmother into a nice condo and the woman refused and lived in the house until she was 98. Let's remember this wasn't anyone related to Liza, Liza owed her nothing and Liza was pretty nice to her.

I think it's pretty cool of her not to trash either of her parents. She was only 23 when Judy died, it was 50 years ago. Who would she please by saying stuff that was unflattering? The most negative things I ever heard her say about Judy were about how Judy was strict with her while Vincente was indulgent.

R279 There was a minimum of mourning of most celebs in those days. The big public mourning for Prince and David Bowie and more current stars is something pretty new. I remember when JG died. I was around 10. My folks were sad, they liked her. I don't think they were relieved.

by Anonymousreply 280February 8, 2020 7:22 PM

That's correct to a degree, R280, mostly because of media was limited. However there were some covered extensively. Marilyn Monroe's 1962 death was treated as though a president had died in all of the daily papers and weekly magazines, there was even a film remembrance narrated by Rock Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 281February 8, 2020 7:52 PM

How come gay men used to worship the drug-addicted divas of yore, yet they look down on the ones of today?

It's like gay men have become more prudish over time, not less.

by Anonymousreply 282February 8, 2020 7:55 PM

The drug-addicted divas of today are just talentless whores. They're not like Marilyn or Judy were.

by Anonymousreply 283February 8, 2020 8:07 PM

[quote]Liza didn't live on CPS, she lived at the Imperial House on E. 69th.

Reading is fundamental!

I said she owned a CPS south apartment where KAY THOMPSON lived.

by Anonymousreply 284February 9, 2020 4:20 AM

No, she moved Kay Thompson into her own apartment at Imperial House.

by Anonymousreply 285February 9, 2020 4:45 AM

Liza together with her father Vincente Minnelli

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286February 9, 2020 4:49 AM

Liza's a very good comedic actress who should be doing roles like she did on Arrested Development, but at this point she's probably uninsurable.

by Anonymousreply 287February 9, 2020 5:06 AM

[quote]there was even a film remembrance narrated by Rock Hudson.

So pre-video Fox could get the last nickel from their now dead cash cow.

by Anonymousreply 288February 9, 2020 5:12 AM

It must have been galling for Liza to pay for the keep of an old woman she disliked. I wouldn't have cared what Papa's wishes were, I would have thrown her out on her ear.

by Anonymousreply 289February 9, 2020 5:15 AM

Does she still occupy a basement apartment in the Sierra Towers?

by Anonymousreply 290February 9, 2020 5:29 AM

Was she ever on assistance, like Jackie O?

by Anonymousreply 291February 9, 2020 5:33 AM

Is Liza completely bald? Melissa Gilbert has a story in her memoir that she and Rob Lowe were at a restaurant and MJ was there. Liza came in and they all decided to go home together. Liza made out with MJ, but removed her wig, and according to Melissa, she had about six hairs on her head.

by Anonymousreply 292February 9, 2020 5:52 AM

Michael Jordan? Go Liza May!

by Anonymousreply 293February 9, 2020 12:27 PM

[quote] It must have been galling for Liza to pay for the keep of an old woman she disliked. I wouldn't have cared what Papa's wishes were, I would have thrown her out on her ear.

Me too.

by Anonymousreply 294February 9, 2020 12:45 PM

Apparently Kay Thompson's last decades under Liza's "care" were ones of neglect - she was in terrible condition, just left there with untreated broken osteoporosis bones, malnutrition, dementia.

by Anonymousreply 295February 9, 2020 1:24 PM

R295, But I'll bet she looked divine.

by Anonymousreply 296February 9, 2020 2:03 PM

The role Kay played in FUNNY FACE was a Dolores Gray cast off.

by Anonymousreply 297February 9, 2020 2:05 PM

Kay!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298February 9, 2020 2:08 PM

Too bad Liza wasn't healthy enough to play Dolly Levi. She would have been a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 299February 9, 2020 2:48 PM

R295, Andy Williams should have kicked in a few bucks. Kay discovered him and his brothers.

by Anonymousreply 300February 9, 2020 2:48 PM

Anyone know what Liza's relationship with Sid Luft was like over the years?

by Anonymousreply 301February 9, 2020 2:51 PM

I don't think she had much to do with Sid.

by Anonymousreply 302February 9, 2020 2:54 PM

And Andy fucked Kay, too!

by Anonymousreply 303February 9, 2020 2:56 PM

Wasn't Kay a dyke?

by Anonymousreply 304February 9, 2020 2:56 PM

[quote] left there with untreated broken osteoporosis bones, malnutrition, dementia.

Sounds like your average Datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 305February 9, 2020 3:04 PM

Kay and the Brothers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306February 9, 2020 3:56 PM

If Kay wasn't gay, she certainly tried being gay...

by Anonymousreply 307February 9, 2020 6:51 PM

R293 Michael Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 308February 9, 2020 9:17 PM

Myrtle (of Sheepshead Bay)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309February 9, 2020 11:08 PM

r306: I hope it was better in a cabaret room, because on TV it was godawful.

by Anonymousreply 310February 10, 2020 1:10 AM

Was Liza's father okay mentally in the last few years of his life. IMO if he was he was a disgusting person to ask his daughter to take care of a woman who was at best another beard for him for only six years. How in god's name was this woman Liza's responsibility. If he was mentally off it seems that he really didn't love his daughter very much. I think Liza is a fool for doing it. I too would have thrown that woman out on her ass, unless she had some dirt on Liza or her dad and that's why Liza allowed herself to be blackmailed by her dad.

by Anonymousreply 311February 10, 2020 1:38 AM

Vincente Minnelli had Alzheimer's.

by Anonymousreply 312February 10, 2020 2:13 AM

The only member of the fam I ever met was Vincente. It was at a screening of The Clock. He was with the third wife. A friend and I sat behind them. He spoke after the movie, returned to his seat. We spoke to him and his wife. They were both charming. He was sort of shy, you know he had that odd, bug-eyed way of moving his face when he talked. But was totally willing to talk about the movie, about Judy, and his other movies with us for a few minutes.

by Anonymousreply 313February 10, 2020 4:28 AM

R313, Was he wearing eye shadow?

by Anonymousreply 314February 10, 2020 4:40 AM

When people would mention things like Minnelli's penchant for wearing makeup Judy would say "that's just his artistic flair!." Or maybe it was because he was a flaming homo.

by Anonymousreply 315February 10, 2020 6:15 PM

[quote]There was a minimum of mourning of most celebs in those days. The big public mourning for Prince and David Bowie and more current stars is something pretty new. I

Not true at all. Judy's funeral was quite a scene. Monroe's death, James Dean, Valentino...huge impact, bigger than any stars today.

Re: Kay Thompson

She lived at the Park Vendome on 56th street. I could be wrong but I was under the impression she lived there until her death.

by Anonymousreply 316February 10, 2020 6:24 PM

*57th street.

by Anonymousreply 317February 10, 2020 6:26 PM

Liza moved the senile, ancient Kay into her apartment for the last few years of Kay's life.

BTW the Park Vendome is a really creepy building. I've had friends who lived there.

by Anonymousreply 318February 10, 2020 6:26 PM

[quote]BTW the Park Vendome is a really creepy building. I've had friends who lived there.

It's been renovated but yes I remember it from the 1970s. I had two friends who lived there, one a B'way musical actress. The place was creepy indeed.

by Anonymousreply 319February 10, 2020 6:34 PM

r319 I always got an eerie "Rosemary's Baby" feeling when I went to the Park Vendome. I was glad when my friends moved out and I didn't have to visit them there anymore.

by Anonymousreply 320February 10, 2020 6:36 PM

The Park Vendome is one of NYC's wonderful complex of buildings- condos now I bellieve. Anyone who lives there is very very lucky.

by Anonymousreply 321February 10, 2020 6:38 PM

A little treat (or perhaps not) for the Liza loons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322February 11, 2020 11:01 PM

My God. It's a measure of how lonely and alone Liza Minnelli must have been feeling if she was willing to marry and atrocity like David Gest. Physically repulsive, a total asshole and a flaming homo...Liza sure could pick 'em.

by Anonymousreply 323February 12, 2020 3:11 AM

Has there been a moment more cringy in cinema than Liza doing Beyonce in that Sex and the City movie?

by Anonymousreply 324February 12, 2020 3:16 AM

Did Kay Thompson suffer from some chronic illness or something because I recently saw a pic of her and Liza hanging out at Franco Zeffirelli's Ravello villa, taken sometime in the early 1970s, and Thompson looked seriously ill and eerily skinny in that pic (and wore a scarf on her head, that made her look like she underwent a chemo or something). It's hard to believe the frail-looking creature in that pic went on to live for almost three more decades.

by Anonymousreply 325February 12, 2020 5:22 AM

R325, Thompson was a meth addict for over 40 years. She had at least four nose jobs and three facelifts before 1957's Funny Face. Behind the bravado was a terrified ugly little girl, who hid behind all her addictions. People call Garland a mess. Thompson had her beat by a million miles.

Her addictions were candy-coated in Sam Irwin's biography, but at least he mentioned them...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326February 12, 2020 5:55 AM

Yeah, Kay Thompson got pretty damn scary-looking. Never knew she was a speed freak. Amazing she lived as long as she did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327February 12, 2020 6:04 AM

Kitty Fink!

by Anonymousreply 328February 12, 2020 12:48 PM

"Irvin doesn’t psychoanalyze this but the book is full of instances where she was thwarted, either by herself or her collaborators. Most striking is the way she was pushed out of her first (and only) Broadway show by a conniving actress who slept her way through the creative talents until she got the role. That this happened to be Vivian Vance, who became the much-beloved Ethel Mertz on I Love Lucy, only makes it more ironic. "

Yet another reason why Viv is a DL icon.

by Anonymousreply 329February 12, 2020 12:50 PM

"Behind the bravado was a terrified ugly little girl, who hid behind all her addictions. People call Garland a mess. Thompson had her beat by a million miles"

Kay Thompson was a self-hating Jew, which could have been the source of all of her issues, and there were plenty. However, I beg to differ when comparing her to Judy. Judy had her beat in every department probably because she was genuinely mentally ill. There was a time when Kay wouldn't work with Judy anymore because of her mishegoss.

by Anonymousreply 330February 12, 2020 1:57 PM

R325, this picture I presume? Kay was an addict but beyond that I don't think she had specific health problems until later in life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331February 12, 2020 2:52 PM

Rex Reed seemed to think her cadaverous appearance was just part of the charm.

She lived in Plaza Tower until Donald Trump kicked her out, which is when she went to live with Liza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332February 12, 2020 2:55 PM

R331 Yikes! No, that's not the pic, but she looks equally scary in the one you posted. I tried to find that photo I mentioned above and I couldn't find it but I found this interesting piece of info on Liza and Kay's weird relationship while searching for it.

[quote] Thompson lived vicariously through Minnelli's whirlwind romances. When Noël Coward died in 1973, for instance, Thompson and Minnelli went to the memorial service in London, where Peter Sellers swept Liza off her feet (resulting in the annulment of her engagement to Desi Arnaz Jr.). Much to Peter's chagrin, however, he soon realized that Liza and Kay were practically joined at the hip. "Kay Thompson was with them constantly," explained Sellers' son Michael. "My father liked her, but he never got any peace and quiet or privacy . . . and Liza was determined not to give her up." "If I marry Liza, I'll be marrying Kay, too," Peter confided to friends. "And, if I'm not mistaken, there are laws in this country against polygamy." After a few weeks of bazazz run amok, Sellers disguised himself in a Nazi officer's uniform and escaped to the home of Joan Collins. A brief reconciliation was botched when Liza yanked Peter's toupee off his head in a crowded restaurant, a practical joke that went over like lead soufflé. The day after the split was final, Kay fumed to a reporter that Peter was "a rotten bastard for the way he treated my beautiful Liza." With the press in a tizzy, the girls vamoosed to Positano, Italy, where they met up with Tennessee Williams and took refuge at the home of director Franco Zeffirelli and his partner, Pippo Pisciotto. "The first night we arrived," recalled Minnelli's makeup artist, Christina Smith, "Kay, Liza, and I got all dolled up for dinner but the men were all just looking at each other. They were all gay. So, after dinner, as Kay, Liza, and I were heading back up to our rooms, Kay said, 'Well, that was a bust."

by Anonymousreply 333February 12, 2020 2:58 PM

"She was hooked on life."

That line from the above article lost me on Rex Reed for LIFE.

by Anonymousreply 334February 12, 2020 2:58 PM

Does she talk about her political hero?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335February 12, 2020 3:05 PM

[quote]A brief reconciliation was botched when Liza yanked Peter's toupee off his head in a crowded restaurant

Oh, that Liza! She's such a card.

Wonder why she never had a successful marriage.

by Anonymousreply 336February 12, 2020 3:34 PM

Pippo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337February 12, 2020 3:41 PM

R335 I don't think there is a celebrity from the 1980s-2000s that doesn't have a picture with Trump.

by Anonymousreply 338February 12, 2020 4:03 PM

R338, Yep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339February 12, 2020 4:29 PM

DL icon Connie Francis has one too (and a pretty recent one).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340February 12, 2020 4:32 PM

Connie has the face she deserves?

by Anonymousreply 341February 12, 2020 4:40 PM

Find one with Streisand

by Anonymousreply 342February 12, 2020 5:10 PM

For R342:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343February 12, 2020 5:15 PM

Pippo Pisciotto has to be an invented name.

by Anonymousreply 344February 13, 2020 10:54 AM

I love Liza threads because they’re funny and none of the Methy Ariana dance club trash gays, Fraus or LSA cunts post in them.

by Anonymousreply 345February 13, 2020 12:26 PM

Pippo is actually one of those two adult guys Zeffirelli adopted as his "sons". I always thought that was creepy a bit.

And the only reason Liza and Kay were hanging out at their villa in the first place was because Liza was supposed to star in his remake of Camille and they were pitching ideas for the project, but in the end the movie was never made. That's probably for the best, because a decade before that Zeffirelli directed Susan Strasberg in Camille on Broadway and that adaptation was a notorious flop, closing after about 10 performances, leaving poor Susan heartbroken. And I also can't imagine Liza playing a 19th century courtesan.

by Anonymousreply 346February 13, 2020 1:42 PM

Or a courtesan in any age.

by Anonymousreply 347February 14, 2020 1:14 PM

Liza's comeback performance!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348February 14, 2020 6:33 PM

OMG! R348 Liza looks so well-rested. And her makeup is perfection.

by Anonymousreply 349February 14, 2020 6:47 PM

You can see Kay Thompson play a small role in Liza's film "Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon" The pictures posted above indicate how she looked in the film.

by Anonymousreply 350February 25, 2020 3:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!