Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let’s be a rapidly gentrifying neighborhood in ancient Sumeria.

I’m the craft beer tavern, my speciality is the barley mash. I’m having trouble making a profit because my seats are taken with hipsters scribing on their clay tablets all day.

by Anonymousreply 116May 2, 2020 11:48 AM

I’m the disappearing Ur-ban decay.

by Anonymousreply 1February 3, 2020 4:41 PM

Quick, let me get in here before the thread fills up.

I'm Ishtar-Goddess of sex, pissed off that I told you "Plough my vulva, place my heart" and you STILL turned me into a Goddess of War. Quetzalcoatl was right, humans are hopeless. The only way this planet will survive is if the reptilians take over, before the assholes in charge nuke the place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 3, 2020 5:00 PM

Couldn't she have picked a better movie than [italic]Ishtar[/italic] to be named after?

by Anonymousreply 3February 3, 2020 5:16 PM

I’m the Assyrians, no longer able to afford to live there.

by Anonymousreply 4February 3, 2020 6:59 PM

OP literally lol’d. Great thread and witty answers so far.

by Anonymousreply 5February 3, 2020 7:26 PM

I’m the new, upscale organic market called “Hanging Gardens of Babylon”. The kale will set you back 100 silver talons. And the staff is filled with apathetic Millenials (BC).

by Anonymousreply 6February 3, 2020 7:57 PM

Can someone please tell me where to get house numbers in Sans-Serif Mid-Century Sumerian?

by Anonymousreply 7February 3, 2020 8:12 PM
by Anonymousreply 8February 3, 2020 11:17 PM

I'm a Sumerian Mum objecting to the increasing insistence of SSL classes - Sumerian as a Second Language - in my kid's school and its fucking insistence on the value of "multiculturalism" because so many fucking Akkadians are moving in.

by Anonymousreply 9February 3, 2020 11:25 PM

^I know what you mean half of them can't even spell cunniform, much less use it correctly. And I thought the Assyrians were as vulgar a semite can be, the next thing you know they'll be claiming that THEY invented the wheel.

by Anonymousreply 10February 3, 2020 11:48 PM

Ladies! You’re BOTH old and ugly

by Anonymousreply 11February 3, 2020 11:55 PM

I’m the New Age yoga shop down the street, Annu-knock-me. Bring your mat and we are ROCKIN this ziggurat grrrrl!!!

by Anonymousreply 12February 3, 2020 11:57 PM

R11 - Mary! It's called irony.

by Anonymousreply 13February 4, 2020 12:26 AM

Mary, it's called IRON aged and that millennia away

by Anonymousreply 14February 4, 2020 3:11 AM

I’m the old huts with hard-reed floors that everyone wants now. They couldn’t GIVE me away 20 solar cycles ago, but ever since The Hanging Gardens opened the prices of huts went through the thatched roof!

by Anonymousreply 15February 4, 2020 4:04 AM

This thread is slow but the quality of the writing more than makes up for it. I'll try not to be too greedy for content.

by Anonymousreply 16February 4, 2020 4:42 AM

[quote] cunniform

Oh, dear! You must be an Akkadian.

by Anonymousreply 17February 4, 2020 4:57 AM

I am the sacred prostitute that will only accept Venmo payments.

by Anonymousreply 18February 4, 2020 5:02 AM

I'm the 650 shekel cardamom Ninhursag's milk latte sold at Starsheckels. Everyone's up in arms over the Zagmuk themed clay mugs accompanying the drinks this year. They say we're taking the Zag out of Zagmuk, if you catch my drift.

by Anonymousreply 19February 4, 2020 5:10 AM

I’m the local satrap.

All these newcomers should GO BACK TO UR & GO BACK TO AKKAD. Just because you move to Sumer doesn’t make you a Sumerian.

by Anonymousreply 20February 4, 2020 5:10 AM

Admeus, Virgin Rental & Tablet Copying

“They return my virgins soiled. Ass to mouth isn’t sex? These people and their poor writing skills...so timid - barely an impression. “

by Anonymousreply 21February 4, 2020 5:24 AM

Don’t worry. You can still get head from the Tranny hookers behind the Great Ziggurat of Ur.

by Anonymousreply 22February 4, 2020 5:36 AM

I'm the mid-20th Century (BC) modern. I'm everywhere now.

by Anonymousreply 23February 4, 2020 5:38 AM

I do not find the name “Mess-o-Pot Mania” appropriate for the new weed dispensary. Disrespectful.

by Anonymousreply 24February 4, 2020 5:44 AM

Some asshole stuck a Sargon of Akkad bumper sticker on my chariot.

by Anonymousreply 25February 4, 2020 5:50 AM

We are sex positive. And while you are speaking to the ancients, we're quite disappointed in you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 4, 2020 5:58 AM

We are pretty awesome, and love art.

by Anonymousreply 27February 4, 2020 6:00 AM

R27 link stink like dung pile.

by Anonymousreply 28February 4, 2020 6:06 AM

Sumeria? Sumeria? Is that what the real estate developers are calling it now? Fuck that. It will always be plain old “Sumer” to me.

by Anonymousreply 29February 4, 2020 6:08 AM

Annunuki, damn it! Where do these Ur's get off acting like they were the first ones to divide a circle into 360 degrees?

One of them told me the other day Sumeria should be called Ursemia and the "Black-headed people" should be called " People with heads of color". LOL, as if. I swear to Gilgamesh he said, "Let me ax you sumppen?"

I'm not a racist but they should know their place. And Anna Enki, we invented language, is it too much to ask for it to be used correctly?. Is it?

by Anonymousreply 30February 4, 2020 11:58 AM

^And don't bother "Oh deering" me. Yes, D-E-E-R. I ought to know, I invented it.

by Anonymousreply 31February 4, 2020 12:07 PM

R17 - "cunniform - oh, dear, you must be an Akkadian"

Sumerian Mum nods in agreement.

by Anonymousreply 32February 4, 2020 12:19 PM

“Our Roc poop-fired ovens are soooo much better for the environment than your camel poop-fired ovens....”

I’m just glad they found something to keep their homelier stupid children busy. “Fetch me a Roc turd” is the new “you should build a boat on the Black Sea”.

by Anonymousreply 33February 4, 2020 12:43 PM
by Anonymousreply 34February 4, 2020 3:19 PM

I am Abram of Ur, son of Terah, tenth in the line of Noah. I was there when the tongues were confounded at Babel, I destroyed the idols in my father's house, I survived the fiery furnace of Nimrod. And yesterday, the Most High cast his lot with me. He has given me his covenant. I am to leave the land of birth and go into Canaan with Sarai and Lot. You can call me Dad.

by Anonymousreply 35February 4, 2020 3:40 PM

R35. Are you subletting your place?

by Anonymousreply 36February 4, 2020 3:46 PM

Damn straight, R36! If the covenant doesn't work out, I'm back. Get in touch with the Sons of Shem Realty. They are handling my properties in Sumer/ Akkad/Babel.

On my pod, is this tune by Carole of JSalem. I'm digging it. "Been so long, I can't remember when...la, la."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 4, 2020 4:02 PM

I'm Sulgi, don't blame me, I built a fucking wall to try and keep them out. Personally, I don't mind the hot ones, they're great in bed. But I wouldn't want to be seen with one hanging out at the ziggurat drinking barley, ifyouknowwhatimean?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 4, 2020 4:02 PM

I am the BLACK Egyptian royalty making a visit, whom your descendants will swear never existed in a couple millennia from now

by Anonymousreply 39February 4, 2020 4:04 PM

If you're in Caanan, you have to go to Jacob's Ladder, they have the best Manna in Mesopotamia but get there early, when they run out,that's it for the day.

Also very important if you make the trip to New Cannan, stay away from the Greeks, they're hot, but they're nothing but trouble.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 4, 2020 4:27 PM

Notes from the Road: Real estate opportunities in Harran, Paddam Aram. Low taxes, fertile plain, excellent pottery, good roads, mountain views. Within caravan trek to Damascus, Nineveh, Rehoboth-Ir, Kish. Euphrates adjacent.

Ur and Babel are overcrowded. Move!

Thanks, R40. I'll headed there, and I'll be sure to check out the manna. Jacob? That sounds familiar.

by Anonymousreply 41February 4, 2020 5:19 PM

I've heard Greeks suck. Is this true? R40

by Anonymousreply 42February 4, 2020 5:28 PM

Only when they are chicken

by Anonymousreply 43February 4, 2020 6:08 PM

I'm the Goddess Queen of Ur. Some call me Puabi, some Shubad. Some say I'm Akkadian, some Sumerian. I'm never tell: Elegance is refusal. I'm adored in a headdress of golden leaves and flowers, my statement crescent earrings, and my cape of lapis and carnelian. The arrivistes know nothing about fashion. And the looters won't find me for millennia.

by Anonymousreply 44February 4, 2020 6:18 PM

R41–Do you have anything in The Fertile Crescent? Preferably a gated community that is “restricted?”

by Anonymousreply 45February 4, 2020 6:20 PM

We are Upper Crescent. Very fertile, R45. It's the Wild East, right now. But mud brick walls are being constructed as we speak. Get in at the bottom, before it's renamed Al-Jahzira in a tongue that doesn't exist yet.

by Anonymousreply 46February 4, 2020 6:32 PM

*I'll*

by Anonymousreply 47February 4, 2020 6:47 PM

Ever since the Assyrians started moving in, I've had a lot of trouble sourcing all the ingredients for my husband's favorite dish - Gazelle Stewed in Broth and Garlic. The rendered sheep’s tail fat is especially difficult to find.

So annoying.

by Anonymousreply 48February 4, 2020 8:38 PM

The landlord is offering me a buyout? Should I take it? (I'm in the rundown ziggurat on the other side of the camel tracks.)

by Anonymousreply 49February 4, 2020 10:40 PM

That's not my experience R42, true to form all my Greeks have been anally focused. Tell you something ironic though, I've found Assyrians to be almost all, breast men!

Online Translator Results - Your entered text was : yes darling I'm a whore In the Babylonian Cuneiform Alphabet this is written as :

^^:^<:^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 4, 2020 10:49 PM

Kisses R50! You sound like fun.

by Anonymousreply 51February 4, 2020 10:54 PM

Feed my beast, you witty bitches!

by Anonymousreply 52February 5, 2020 12:00 AM

I absolutely adorbs “Hanging Gardens”, R6!!! As I am barren, the hubs was considering divorce and/or selling me into “the first profession”. I started selling cupcakes as a home-based-business to demonstrate my value, but as An is my witness - was harvesting those figs and dates in the field and then bartering for wheat at the market ever getting old! Don’t even get me started on the goat’s milk - ugh!! Now I can find it all in one (overpriced) stop!

It’s really taken off: I’m thinking of opening a storefront down by the temple (only the money changers can afford my sweets), and hubs is even warming up to adopting a cute little Egyptian baby! The “Hanging Gardens Of Babylon” helped me to live my best life! Muuua! 💋

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 5, 2020 12:26 AM

Hilarious

by Anonymousreply 54February 5, 2020 12:48 AM

Sumer is icumen in...

Opps, wrong thread, wrong century.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 5, 2020 12:48 AM

Only sustainably raised humans are eligible for ritual sacrifice.

by Anonymousreply 56February 5, 2020 1:07 AM

OMG did you see that queen Puabi on Ur-Paul's Drag Race last night? DEAD!!

by Anonymousreply 57February 5, 2020 1:18 AM

I hear Matt Damania has purchased the dwelling at the highest level of the ziggurat. Prices will go through the thatched roof for sure. Have you seen that rabbit-face concubine he has from the south lands? They have many girls, but I have my suspicions he bore them rather than her. Look at his wide hips! They knock clay pots down as he walks through the markets!

by Anonymousreply 58February 5, 2020 1:43 AM

Whorehouses and restaurants, that's all there is! Where do I go to repair my sandals and my idols?

by Anonymousreply 59February 5, 2020 2:05 AM

I'm the Papyrus store (literally) that just closed.

by Anonymousreply 60February 5, 2020 2:39 AM

One more thing. The infidels of Eridu have lodged all about us. They have repaired and limewashed their mudhuts and planted barley grass in front..

And now they are complaining of our cesspit, despite our family being here for 373 years. They have cursed us in the temple cave of Ereshkigal and sought to have us banished to the desert outskirts. They sip their Tigris water and make lewd comments at us, disturbing our goats.

So I have asked my blessed husband to go cut their throats in their sleep and burn their huts to the ground. I shall feed my barley with the powder of their bones. May they writhe in agony in the underworld for eternity's eternity.

Other than that, Mother, we are fine and little Euphertes has a new tooth! Love to Papa!

Your loving daughter,

Shegala

PS Promise to come at the Harvest Festival and I shall give you some of the caftans I'll take before we burn the huts! Some are fit for a queen of Sheba!

by Anonymousreply 61February 5, 2020 3:00 AM

Nubia, shnubia.

Anything south of Luxor is Africa. Period.

by Anonymousreply 62February 5, 2020 3:03 AM

I'm a candle store. I sell candles that smell like a Sumerian Farmwife's Vagina

by Anonymousreply 63February 5, 2020 3:04 AM

I'm a LITERAL farm-to-table restaurant

by Anonymousreply 64February 5, 2020 3:12 AM

I cannot believe the trashy names those Akkadians are giving their children all the Lipit-Enlils, Ubara-Tutu, Ninazus, and Eshargamelats. My son has four Yamquzzuhalammas in his class at the edubba!! Four!!

by Anonymousreply 65February 5, 2020 4:07 AM

I’m the Ub’ur drivers that are putting donkeys out of business.

by Anonymousreply 66February 5, 2020 4:10 AM

“No! We do NOT assist ugly people. You offend me. Go away!”

“Mar, do we have any of that salad left?”

by Anonymousreply 67February 5, 2020 4:34 AM

I'm the wine bar

by Anonymousreply 68February 5, 2020 4:36 AM

Have you ever noticed that those eunuchs always look like they've just smelled baked honey cakes?

by Anonymousreply 69February 5, 2020 5:14 AM

Every time some little thing happens like their daughter gets raped, their son gets speared or their slave hemorrhages after being beaten for laziness, off they rush to the Ur-gent Care.

So needy and nervous.

by Anonymousreply 70February 5, 2020 5:17 AM

Kaga ada gua sape yang main drum chickpea.

by Anonymousreply 71February 5, 2020 5:24 AM

R70, I wasn't going to say anything about the money -changers, partly because I'm not sure how to articulate it, "needy and nervous", yes, but also a little whiny and there's this weird, mommy- guilt thing. It's like they were all castrated by their mothers at birth.

by Anonymousreply 72February 5, 2020 3:25 PM

I'm the authentic Semitic Egyptian royalty that wonders where this black imposter at R39 hails from... oh yeah, it's southeast Africa.

by Anonymousreply 73February 5, 2020 3:58 PM

I'm a mathematician who is incredulous that some people STILL believe in invisible sky gods. C'mon people, what's it going to take to let that one go?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74February 5, 2020 5:25 PM

Kidding aside. Well done, OP. History should be taught in this manner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75February 5, 2020 6:19 PM

I’m the charming double-wide huts downtown rapidly being snatched up by celebrities like Matthew Brod-Ur-ick and Sarah Jessic-Ur Park-Ur.

by Anonymousreply 76February 5, 2020 7:14 PM

We, Sumerians, are the creators of human civilization. You have a reality TV Baby King and are destroying humanity and other species.

You Suck,

Sumerians

by Anonymousreply 77February 6, 2020 7:10 AM
by Anonymousreply 78February 6, 2020 6:33 PM

R77 I agree, the Akkadians are literally the most embarrassing civilization. I'll hold my nose and say it, they're even worse than the damn Elamites. Can you believe their king Sargon thinks he can conquer us? Don't make me laugh!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 79February 7, 2020 4:08 AM

Shoo-in for Best Picture this year: Suddenly Last Sumer.

by Anonymousreply 80February 10, 2020 7:25 PM

We’re the latest franchise of upscale circumcision parlors. Relax, enjoy a deep tissue massage, and sip fine mead in our tiger skin-lined waiting room. We use only the finest, sharpest flint to ensure you’ll barely feel a pinch as we lop off your skin and offer it up to the gods. After, rest and recuperate in a Dead Sea bath. Our train of camels carries fresh sea water daily so you know you’re getting the best because you and your freshly sliced cock deserve it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81February 10, 2020 8:05 PM

Why do Kevin Spacey and John Travolta keep groping everyone at the baths? Just bathe in your own huts, guys

by Anonymousreply 82February 10, 2020 10:37 PM

Why does the first man in the advertisement in R81 have to have his wrists gripped by the P.A., whilst the second man seems much more relaxed?

Will SumeriCare let me pick my own practitioner for this, or is it out of network? I want the one who clearly used lidocaine first.

by Anonymousreply 83February 10, 2020 11:10 PM

I had to purchase three woodcarvers just to make sturdier benches for YOU EAT MY YAK AND GO AWAY.

I’ve never seen so many yakaterians in my years. Huge haunches on every one of them.

by Anonymousreply 84February 11, 2020 4:16 AM

The street names referring to our alien overlord oppressors are highly problematic.

by Anonymousreply 85February 11, 2020 10:34 AM

I’m the hip temporary work space where the Millenials gather to tap out cuneiform on their tablets. I’m called The Tower of Babel and membership requires a letter from three existing members.

by Anonymousreply 86February 11, 2020 3:13 PM

WW for every poster here. I laughed harder re-reading them a 2nd time. Outstanding thread.

by Anonymousreply 87February 14, 2020 10:22 AM

Anyone who dares to recite the highly problematic ‘Gilgamesh’ needs to be disembowelled and quartered.

by Anonymousreply 88February 14, 2020 11:18 AM

R88, are you a trans-gend-ur warrior?

by Anonymousreply 89February 15, 2020 2:19 AM

SPECIAL TODAY!!!!

Prayer Statues on Sale! Two for One!

Let your image stand in prayer before Ishtar for Infinity!!!!!

Our skilled slaves are standing by.

Bargain Prices: Unwanted in-laws, Unruly Children, accepted as barter!

Don’t accept cheap knock-offs from those chainstore Akkadians.

by Anonymousreply 90February 15, 2020 12:46 PM

Only the temple whores wear that caftan

by Anonymousreply 91February 15, 2020 11:00 PM

All I see are clean shaven faces! What in the gods is going on? I am tired of seeing all these non-bearded faces when I go to my food seller. Also the non-beards think they get free wine refills on a once around the well purchase for platters of dates.

The nerve!

by Anonymousreply 92February 15, 2020 11:07 PM

R91, they’re eunuchs. Shhhhhhh.

by Anonymousreply 93February 16, 2020 1:08 AM

a caftan wearers paradise

by Anonymousreply 94February 17, 2020 4:50 AM

Paano bang chickpea mag potaa paturo nga

by Anonymousreply 95February 17, 2020 2:03 PM

I’m Pazuzu, the most feared co-op board member in history thus far.

by Anonymousreply 96February 17, 2020 4:50 PM

I blame the whole thing on Sodom In The City.

by Anonymousreply 97February 17, 2020 5:07 PM

W&W!

by Anonymousreply 98February 17, 2020 6:12 PM

ngentot lo semua yang ngelike gabisa di chickpea aja ye? anjing

by Anonymousreply 99February 18, 2020 1:03 AM

jangan ingatin gua soal ava masih gregetan liat chickpea

by Anonymousreply 100February 19, 2020 2:42 AM

I don't have an ounce of wit. I did want to bump the thread with something more than bump (for once...sorry)

An interesting article below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101March 6, 2020 8:29 AM

Penn UR

by Anonymousreply 102March 9, 2020 8:32 PM

R99 / R100 is demonstrating that even modern languages can be as devoid of euphony as Sumerian most likely was.

by Anonymousreply 103March 9, 2020 9:14 PM

R103, Ancient Sumerian was and IS a pleasant-to-hear, easy-to-speak language.

Many of us are working to convert to a world-wide adoption of Sumerian, uniting humanity under one beautiful tongue.

Join us!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104March 9, 2020 9:33 PM

Lovely!

Banging my lips together this way makes my mouth red and juicy as a pomegranate trodden by camel hooves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105March 9, 2020 9:35 PM

Now suddenly everything is "Neo-Sumerian"—beer halls, scribal schools, even the chickpea market! Bitch, please, it's all just the same Sumerian as always, whatever the hipsters with their scented unguents imported from Sheba say about it.

by Anonymousreply 106March 9, 2020 9:36 PM

Best Thread ever even in cuneiform.

by Anonymousreply 107March 9, 2020 10:31 PM

[quote] Sumerian Bump-Ur

Tehe.

by Anonymousreply 108March 10, 2020 2:32 AM

“Are you in one of the sun-dried brick units, or are you in one of reed units?”

by Anonymousreply 109March 10, 2020 2:33 PM

jennf-ur, we moved to this new compound because it was "clean" and we didn't want to catch the plague from those river slaves.. . .

by Anonymousreply 110March 10, 2020 2:49 PM

OhMiAn, you guys: the cupcake storefront down by the temple has been a great success and we’ll be moving into our new two story mud-brick home by the new moon! It’s not quite as we wanted and while we’ll miss the starter thatch hut, at least there’s a room for a nursery and we have room to build out a courtyard in front and have plans to grow grapes on the roof arbor - my home wine biz side-hustle!

Hubs says once we’re settled we’ll catch a reed boat down the Euphrates to adopt!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111March 12, 2020 5:06 AM

Bumping this because I just found out our entire fucking STATE is now under a shelter in place order and this thread always makes me feel better.

by Anonymousreply 112March 20, 2020 6:11 AM

It's for the best, R112—the sooner everyone stays apart, the sooner the virus will be under control. Take care, and have a chickpea!

by Anonymousreply 113March 20, 2020 12:53 PM

Plague or no Plague, hammurabi, I'm gonna get me some of those cupcakes

by Anonymousreply 114March 20, 2020 2:55 PM

Quarantine bump

by Anonymousreply 115April 15, 2020 7:09 PM

bumpy

by Anonymousreply 116May 2, 2020 11:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!