Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ed Norton cost Janeane Garofalo a part in ‘Fight Club,’ actress claims

Joining hands with college freshmen the nation over, Janeane Garofalo recently broke the first two rules of Fight Club by talking about the movie “Fight Club."

In an interview with Yahoo’s Build Q&A series on Tuesday, Garofalo said she was originally set to star in the 1999 cult classic as Marla Singer but the part went to Helena Bonham Carter because Ed Norton said she “didn’t have the chops to do it."

"I was like, ‘Can I audition with him or for him?’ " the actress told Yahoo. “And I was told that he would like Courtney Love to do it, because he was dating her, but Brad Pitt said, ‘I’m not going to sign off on that.’ So, they agreed on Helena Bonham Carter, who was probably much better than I would have been.”

Garofalo added that losing the part shocked her because director David Fincher allegedly offered her the role.

Years later, according to Garofalo, Brad Pitt apologized for the situation.

“He very kindly said, ‘I’m sorry about what happened with that,’ and he had nothing to do with it,” she said.

Norton disputed the accuracy of Garofalo’s memory in a statement to CNN.

"I'm sorry Janeane is under that impression, but if she was serious, she's really mistaken."

"David Fincher does exactly what he wants," Norton said. "He makes the call on every dimension of his films, top to bottom. I don't recall him ever even raising the subject of who he was considering for most other roles."

“The one suggestion I made, he shot down,” he added. “I was a big fan of Janeane’s so I’d have loved to do a reading with her!”

Garofalo is currently promoting her new film “Come As You Are,” which arrives in theaters on Feb. 14.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 3, 2020 5:56 AM

Helena Bonham Carter was excellent in the role.

by Anonymousreply 1January 31, 2020 1:37 PM

Norton is a known turd and the joke of many.....

by Anonymousreply 2January 31, 2020 1:41 PM

LSA already covered this!

by Anonymousreply 3January 31, 2020 1:41 PM

H B Carter ruins ev movie she in !!!! ha ha

by Anonymousreply 4January 31, 2020 1:41 PM

R3 this isn’t LSA doll.

by Anonymousreply 5January 31, 2020 1:43 PM

It wouldn't be unheard of for a producer or director to blame somebody else for a decision they made. Doesn't mean it happened the way Ed says, but I don't find it impossible to believe.

by Anonymousreply 6January 31, 2020 1:46 PM

Has she ever washed her constantly-Nineties-style hair in the last 30 years?

by Anonymousreply 7January 31, 2020 1:46 PM

Marla is supposed to be a fantasy fucktoy bitch queen of a figure. JG only has the "bitch" part down.

by Anonymousreply 8January 31, 2020 1:52 PM

Boo fucking hoo, an actress didn't get a part.

by Anonymousreply 9January 31, 2020 1:57 PM

Stuff like this is always interesting to me. What is so-and-so actor had been in this famous role. Like what if Jodie Foster had played Princess Leia (she almost did).

I'm a huge fan of the film FIGHT CLUB, and this is interesting to think about. I'm not a big fan of her acting style but I could see her deadpan delivery working well here. It would have been a very different take on the character.

And Courtney Love would of course torn up the scenery in that role. But I'm glad she didn't play it I feel like she would have distracted from the whole film!

by Anonymousreply 10January 31, 2020 2:05 PM

Is she Lebanese?

by Anonymousreply 11January 31, 2020 2:08 PM

This deserves a huge "So what?"

by Anonymousreply 12January 31, 2020 2:15 PM

Fincher is a perfectionist, and men like him, always have the final say, so I’m gonna go with: this was absolutely Fincher’s call.

by Anonymousreply 13January 31, 2020 2:22 PM

She didn't say it in a woe-is-me way and the people assuming she did are idiots. Just read the article, for god's sake.

This is behind-the-scenes stuff and it's interesting. I also can't see Fincher blaming Norton for this just to cover his ass, because Fincher will flat-out tell someone what he's decided. He doesn't hide that it's his decision or blame others.

by Anonymousreply 14January 31, 2020 2:30 PM

I like that Brad Pitt let her know he had nothing to do with it lmao

by Anonymousreply 15January 31, 2020 2:33 PM

God bless Brad.

by Anonymousreply 16January 31, 2020 2:44 PM

I like Janeane, but I don't know that I can see her in that role.

by Anonymousreply 17January 31, 2020 2:50 PM

No, Janeane Garofalo, you didn't have the chop as you always played an annoying, kvetching, frumpy frau and you'd always be stuck in the 1990s. Be gone.

by Anonymousreply 18January 31, 2020 2:53 PM

The casting of the role would not have been left in Norton's hands, nor Pitt's, unless they were producers. This is a story a crazy actress wrote in her head. Fincher changed his mind. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 19January 31, 2020 2:57 PM

R-11, not Lebanese, reportedly asexual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 31, 2020 2:58 PM

[quote]Like what if Jodie Foster had played Princess Leia (she almost did).

What?!

Is this common knowledge?

As soon as I read her name, I could picture Jodie and Mark playing brother and sister.

by Anonymousreply 21January 31, 2020 3:05 PM

Wasn’t Jodie too young to play Leia?

by Anonymousreply 22January 31, 2020 3:07 PM

Nobody likes Edward Norton

by Anonymousreply 23January 31, 2020 3:09 PM

Good thing he was born rich and doesn’t need them to r23

by Anonymousreply 24January 31, 2020 3:10 PM

Who knows, but Norton has always had a *MAJOR* jerkoff vibe to me. Beady hateful little eyes.

by Anonymousreply 25January 31, 2020 3:12 PM

I love the detail of Courtney Love being up for the part at one point and Pitt saying, "Nope, then I'm out!" LOL!

by Anonymousreply 26January 31, 2020 3:13 PM

Norton worked with Love and seemed fine with her.

by Anonymousreply 27January 31, 2020 3:15 PM

Holy crap I did not know Jodie was offered the role of Princess Leia.

Scroll down in link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 31, 2020 3:15 PM

I hate David Fincher because he was among the directors who started the trend of ugly grey blue lighting in every single movie. It suddenly became "cool" to make every film look like the before image in an antidepressant commercial. It is depressing, dreary, and ugly and he is the WORST offender.

by Anonymousreply 29January 31, 2020 3:15 PM

It's not like he makes comedies. The look is his signature look. He was a music video director first and those are highly visually stylized. I appreciate his visual style.

by Anonymousreply 30January 31, 2020 3:33 PM

Exhibit A. Probably his most famous and which put him on the hollywood radar.

by Anonymousreply 31January 31, 2020 3:34 PM

forgot link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 31, 2020 3:35 PM

Right here,, ladies and gents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 1, 2020 3:09 AM

Right here,, ladies and gents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 1, 2020 3:09 AM

Also.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 1, 2020 3:10 AM

Here's the vid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 1, 2020 3:11 AM

The full interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 1, 2020 3:11 AM

I always thought H B C was a miscast, but J G is even worst.

by Anonymousreply 38February 1, 2020 3:31 AM

She’s not funny and looks like a sloppy dyke.

by Anonymousreply 39February 1, 2020 3:34 AM

Turning into a grating frau very, very rapidly.

by Anonymousreply 40February 1, 2020 4:02 AM

Aside from the obvious (drama queen, possible non-functioning drug user), I wonder why Brad Pitt said nope to Courtney Love?

by Anonymousreply 41February 1, 2020 4:43 AM

R41 probably for all the reasons you mentioned. He probably also feels she is someone he wouldn’t be able to work with or look at and pretend to even find desirable

by Anonymousreply 42February 1, 2020 4:58 AM

So does frau now mean "woman I dislike"? Because whatever else you can say about Garafalo, she is not a frau.

by Anonymousreply 43February 1, 2020 11:15 AM

Edward “I just rewrote the entire script on every film I’m in” Norton

by Anonymousreply 44February 1, 2020 11:28 AM

R44 How does he get away with that?

by Anonymousreply 45February 1, 2020 11:31 AM

R45 For a while there he was the It Girl - highly nominated for awards and a draw by audiences... that is until he tried to fuck with The Incredible Hulk. They fired him and replaced him with Mark Ruffelo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 1, 2020 11:44 AM

Odd that Pitt would say that because at that time Courtney was actually on the straight and narrow, if not 'hot property' and had a good reputation. She was engaged to Ed Norton, had already won heaps of awards for Larry Flynt, was one of the faces of Versace, had her most commercially successful Platinum album (garnering 4 Grammy nominations for it), was on magazine covers everywhere and all over MTV, and was in other movies that year (200 Cigarettes, Man on the Moon, and shot the Joan Volmer biopic Beat). She also did the song for the Any Given Sunday soundtrack which was a huge hit movie, and had just recently won the award at the VH1 Fashion Awards beating out Kate Moss, Cameron Diaz, and Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy. She famously stood up for the gay community in her speech (which is below).

I know HBC was a more seasoned and acclaimed actress so it makes sense to have chosen her, even if I think Courtney's uninhibitedness and raw energy make her perfect for the role (and her 'rock girl' appeal might have made it even more of a cult classic). But Janeane Garofalo? With her blank facial expressions and deadpan line deliveries? Playing the witchy, sexed-up maniacal girl of Norton's fantasy/nightmare? I don't see it.

But i'm glad she called out what a douchebag Ed Norton is. He has been known for years to be one of the biggest cunts in Hollywood. There's a reason his career went to shit during his peak years when he probably could have had any role he wanted if he had just been nicer to folks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 1, 2020 11:46 AM

Aside from American History X, for which he buffed himself up, Ed Norton has never been fuckable. That's why his career as a leading man stalled.

by Anonymousreply 48February 1, 2020 1:01 PM

R48 no. It is because he shot himself in the foot and pissed off too many

by Anonymousreply 49February 1, 2020 1:10 PM

I love that Janeane has her very own DL Troll. So devoted!

by Anonymousreply 50February 1, 2020 1:13 PM

Norton's latest, Motherless Brooklyn, looks like self-indulgent ego masturbation. Are he and Joaquin Phoenix BFF?

by Anonymousreply 51February 1, 2020 1:14 PM

I mildly like her,,,,but cant stand fincher or Norton, im told theyr both assholes to work with.

by Anonymousreply 52February 1, 2020 7:44 PM

R50 Why thank you.

by Anonymousreply 53February 2, 2020 12:26 AM

how in fuk is ed Norton a star?????whaat he got???????

by Anonymousreply 54February 2, 2020 1:04 AM

Norton's ugly, always was. Pasty, sag-faced, even when fit. Permanent nerd face, with an irritating, nasal voice. He's another Spacey, I never saw what the hell people were raving about. He was an asshole because he was aware how basically unattractive he was, and hated himself for it.

by Anonymousreply 55February 2, 2020 7:16 PM

I never liked Spacey as an actor. Way too cartoonish.

by Anonymousreply 56February 2, 2020 7:20 PM

Short fugs like Dustin Hoffman and Al Pacino had been stars, why couldn't Ed Norton and his adorable cherubic face?

by Anonymousreply 57February 2, 2020 7:40 PM

He was a star. He ruined it.

by Anonymousreply 58February 2, 2020 7:43 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 59February 3, 2020 5:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!