Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Living Single’ Star Erika Alexander Calls Out Woke-Wannabe David Schwimmer for his "All-Black" ‘Friends’ Reboot Suggest

Schwimmer acknowledged in an interview with The Guardian that “Friends” wasn’t the most progressive show on race when it aired on NBC nearly three decades ago, and that its all-white cast looks even starker in a modern-day context. The actor suggested in the interview that a potential reboot of the show center on a non-white cast.

“Living Single” premiered a year before “Friends” and featured an all-black cast. The comedy, which ran from 1993 to 1998 on Fox, starred Queen Latifah, Kim Coles, Erika Alexander, T.C. Carson, John Henton and Kim Fields and was one of the network’s most popular comedies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 31, 2020 2:33 PM

She couldn't give him any props for advocating for diversity in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 1January 31, 2020 1:04 AM

R1, he was pandering like that Sex and the City cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2January 31, 2020 1:08 AM

I don't think Maxine Shaw was too much of a stretch for her.

by Anonymousreply 3January 31, 2020 1:09 AM

He already gave a pretty even handed response.

- He didn't mean to forget the show.

- He liked the show.

- He thought Friends was based on the creator's lives.

- However it's also possible that it was picked up because of Living Single's success.

(And to be fair that's what Queen Latifah said: NBC was looking for a similar show so they picked it up.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 31, 2020 1:13 AM

Living Single was a much funnier show.

by Anonymousreply 5January 31, 2020 1:14 AM

OMG.,,both shows were godawful!!!!

Get over it already.

by Anonymousreply 6January 31, 2020 1:16 AM

What a dumb cow. Schwimmer is talking about a Friends reboot—that has nothing to do with any other show including Living Single.

Screaming “Racism!” where there is none really doesn’t help the cause of fighting racism.

by Anonymousreply 7January 31, 2020 1:23 AM

did Living Single have other races or ethnicities? any asians or latinos? native Americans?

by Anonymousreply 8January 31, 2020 1:28 AM

[quote]Schwimmer is talking about a Friends reboot—that has nothing to do with any other show including Living Single.

He thought they should do an all black Friends reboot. She responded that there was already an all black Friends, and one that actually served as the template for Friends. And it was called Living Single.

Friends always gets treated like it was some anomaly by the media which is BS. Living Single and These Friends of Mine (which became Ellen) were already on the air before Friends debuted.

The fact that NBC wanted to cast Lisa Whelchel and Nancy McKeon shows you just how much they were influenced by Living Single.

by Anonymousreply 9January 31, 2020 1:36 AM

And Max and Kyle were a far more interesting coupling than the banal Ross and Rachael.

by Anonymousreply 10January 31, 2020 1:42 AM

Was that the show was shanaynay? I was just a kid back then.

by Anonymousreply 11January 31, 2020 1:43 AM

No I think Shanaynay was on Martin.

by Anonymousreply 12January 31, 2020 1:51 AM

Theme

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 31, 2020 1:56 AM

He's really annoying with the woke shtick he's been on. Even in today's modern day context, people still gravitate towards their own culture. The group of them being friends was far more believable than then having a token black friend. Same for Living Single in the opposite direction.

by Anonymousreply 14January 31, 2020 1:58 AM

[quote]The group of them being friends was far more believable than then having a token black friend.

1. You're talking about yourself, dear.

2. It really wasn't.

Ross, Monica & Rachel are from Long Island.

Chandler is from Las Vegas.

Joey grew up in Queens. Phoebe had been living on the streets of NYC since she was 14.

The show is fictional. If we applied real world logic to it you could just as easily say that it's much more likely that Joey and Phoebe would have never been friends with Ross, Monica & Rachel.

And yes I'm pretending what you're saying isn't "whites stick with whites" and "blacks stick with blacks" because some of us left our small ass hometowns and bothered to branch out.

by Anonymousreply 15January 31, 2020 2:21 AM

R15 doesn’t realize posting all that shit shows how pathetic and empty his life is.

by Anonymousreply 16January 31, 2020 5:30 AM

In a 90s kind of world I'm glad I got my girl!s! True blue we tight like glue!

by Anonymousreply 17January 31, 2020 11:52 AM

I bet David thinks that we disrespect Whitney Houston and shit on her grave here at the DL.

by Anonymousreply 18January 31, 2020 12:25 PM

r1

Why do white people always want credit for some weak ass bullshit?

Just like most white people in this country David Schwimmer doesn't know history. He doesn't even know the history about how his own damn show came about.

by Anonymousreply 19January 31, 2020 12:30 PM

This thread doesn't belong here. Take it back to LSA, fraupotomus.

by Anonymousreply 20January 31, 2020 12:44 PM

Woo woo woo !

by Anonymousreply 21January 31, 2020 12:45 PM

I'm a white eldergay and I watched "Living Single" religiously, but detested "Friends."

by Anonymousreply 22January 31, 2020 1:48 PM

Pretty soon people will be complaining about how there were no black people on The Brady Bunch.

by Anonymousreply 23January 31, 2020 1:55 PM

Having an all-white group of close friends is pretty common in NYC to this day.

by Anonymousreply 24January 31, 2020 2:19 PM

R15, Chandler was college roommates with Ross. Joey was Chandler's roommate. Those friendships made total sense! Phoebe was the only one who seemed like an outlier, but she was friends with Monica as an adult. The connections for the most part were believable. If you think there is such diversity in NYC friendship circles then you haven't been to the UES and many other parts of the city.

by Anonymousreply 25January 31, 2020 2:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!