Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Happy Birthday, Gene Hackman!

You're 90!

You'll get there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 31, 2020 7:21 PM

Great actor. For real. Probably not the easiest person to dealt with..but fuck it..he's outlived most of his detractors who bitched about how much of a problem he is to work with

by Anonymousreply 1January 30, 2020 2:57 PM

[quote]You're 90!

Give him a few years and there'll be gurls on here who'll want him for President.

by Anonymousreply 2January 30, 2020 3:00 PM

Happy Birthday, Mr. Hackman. You make so many films just that--great.

by Anonymousreply 3January 30, 2020 3:04 PM

^^you make so many great films just that

by Anonymousreply 4January 30, 2020 3:19 PM

The Conversation - #1 on my list. You are the best! Happy Birthday!

by Anonymousreply 5January 30, 2020 3:22 PM

I miss him

by Anonymousreply 6January 30, 2020 3:26 PM

One of our greatest American actors.

by Anonymousreply 7January 30, 2020 3:30 PM

R6 He's still alive! In fact, he started a second career as a writer. You can find him on Amazon or the library. He just decided he was done acting and started another chapter of his life. I agree -- we love him!

by Anonymousreply 8January 30, 2020 3:35 PM

I love an obscure little film called "Twice in a Lifetime" starring Ann-Margaret, Ellen Burstyn and Gene Hackman in which he plays a working class family man married to Ms. Burstyn's character when he begins an affair with Ms. Ann-Margaret's. Tired storyline, but look at the talent!

And Amy Madigan plays his adult daughter. Buckle up!

by Anonymousreply 9January 30, 2020 3:39 PM

I wish he was still up for acting roles but he seems happily retired from that profession.

by Anonymousreply 10January 30, 2020 3:42 PM

I don't know why but I had a little crush on him, circa The Poseidon Adventure.

by Anonymousreply 11January 30, 2020 3:45 PM

Love him. One of the best 2 or 3 film actors of his generation.

by Anonymousreply 12January 30, 2020 3:55 PM

who are the other 2 or 3?

by Anonymousreply 13January 30, 2020 4:21 PM

Never turned in a bad performance no matter if it was drama/comedy or pure trash.

by Anonymousreply 14January 30, 2020 4:40 PM

One of Mr. Hackman's fellow "best of his generation" male actors is Morgan Freeman.

by Anonymousreply 15January 30, 2020 4:55 PM

R9 Thank you! I'll have to look it up. Gene Hackman was the perfect middle-class guy. Like Jack Warden! Gene made the leap to leading man.

by Anonymousreply 16January 30, 2020 6:49 PM

r9, Amy Madigan was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for Twice in a Lifetime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 30, 2020 6:55 PM

It's sad he didn't make at least one more film before he retired: imagine having such a lustrious film career and then ending it all with "Welcome to Mooseport". Definitely an unfortunate swan song to have on your resume.

by Anonymousreply 18January 30, 2020 7:18 PM

It's also unfortunate that he's not getting the Lifetime Achievement accolades that are already being awarded to his contemporaries like DeNiro, Pacino, etc.

by Anonymousreply 19January 30, 2020 7:32 PM

Love from your family.

by Anonymousreply 20January 30, 2020 7:39 PM

Gene is a bit of sourpuss and probably said no to the Lifetime Achievement awards.

by Anonymousreply 21January 30, 2020 7:52 PM

I'm sure he has enough trophies on his mantle. Hell, he has a minor planet named after him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 30, 2020 8:08 PM

Gene definitely has BDE -- no, he exudes HUGE dick energy!

by Anonymousreply 23January 31, 2020 4:25 PM

r23 Has he a reputation as a ladies man bed hopper?

by Anonymousreply 24January 31, 2020 6:28 PM

There was a time when the name Gene was common and cool -- Gene McDaniel, Gene Vincent, Gene Pitney, Gene McCarthy, Gene Autry, Gene Hackman, Gene Simmons, Gene Kelly, Gene Tunney, Gene Barry, Gene Nelson, Gene Krupa, Gene Roddenberry, Gene Siskel, etc etc

Now does anyone know a Gene?

by Anonymousreply 25January 31, 2020 6:34 PM

Supposedly he's had dementia for a while.

Last time I saw him was on an episode of Guy Fieri's Diners/Drive-Ins/Dives show -- he was eating at some place in New Mexico (I think) where they were filming.

by Anonymousreply 26January 31, 2020 6:37 PM

Remember in the 90s when literally EVERY movie was "Star of the moment" and Gene Hackman ... This went on for years.

Then he did commercial voice-overs. And I mean a lot. This also went on for years.

Then it all just stopped.

by Anonymousreply 27January 31, 2020 6:43 PM

No, isn't he gay?

by Anonymousreply 28January 31, 2020 6:47 PM

When he was young and sexy, he was gay. But as soon as he got fat and gray, he became straight. That's how it works for all men on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 29January 31, 2020 6:52 PM

Wow! I had no idea he was that old. Another example of people who are meaner than spit live longer. Barbara Walters, Bob Barker and Donald Trump will be crawling through the rubble after the apocalypse.

by Anonymousreply 30January 31, 2020 6:57 PM

Hackman ditched his long time (and not unattractive for him) wife after 30 years of marriage, and is currently married to an Asian something. But there's never been a peep about him running around or being a womanizer. Never.

Ha ha, R29. However, Hackman was never handsome or hot. That's why he had such a long career as a character actor. In the seventies I saw him in his film debut, Lilith (1964), and he looked EXACTLY the same - like a tall fugly 40+ year old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 31, 2020 7:19 PM

He really has aged. Ever heard of sun block????

by Anonymousreply 32January 31, 2020 7:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!