Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gia Carangi would turn 60 today.

Would she be huge?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2020 6:21 AM

Not as huge as me.

by Anonymousreply 1January 29, 2020 11:53 AM

If she hadn't died then, she would probably still have died before now. Nothing about her spelled longevity.

by Anonymousreply 2January 29, 2020 12:01 PM

I would be nothing.

by Anonymousreply 3January 29, 2020 12:04 PM

How many models are huge at 60? I never heard of her until that biography came out after she died. I was only 4 years old in the early 80’s when she was on the cover of Cosmo, I still remember being aware of other models from that era at the time, but not her. I’ve asked my older relatives, and they never heard of her either. Some people now claim that she was the first supermodel, I don’t agree. There were so many huge world famous models long before her. Suzy Parker, Twiggy, Jean Shrimpton, Cheryl Tiegs etc. Maybe she was only famous in NYC back then?

by Anonymousreply 4January 29, 2020 12:05 PM

Hmm, OP. Let's ask Willy Cartier!

by Anonymousreply 5January 29, 2020 12:14 PM

Well, that was fun.

by Anonymousreply 6January 29, 2020 12:18 PM

I never heard of her until the book came out. I think she became much more famous after her death. I'm not sure she would have aged well.

by Anonymousreply 7January 29, 2020 2:36 PM

Christie Brinkley is still a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 8January 29, 2020 2:38 PM

She was a breathtakingly gorgeous woman.

by Anonymousreply 9January 29, 2020 2:40 PM

She's mainly famous for dying.

by Anonymousreply 10January 29, 2020 4:05 PM

We would be making fun of her for looking old instead of somehow continuing to look like a gorgeous 25-year-old.

by Anonymousreply 11January 29, 2020 4:45 PM

R8 True, but she’s an exception.

by Anonymousreply 12January 29, 2020 4:59 PM

R8 - Brinkley segued into "acting" and became one of the handful of models (of the era) that emerged as media personalities. That said, she is hardly a "big deal" these days. To who exactly??

by Anonymousreply 13January 29, 2020 7:33 PM

Madonna would've stolen her from me.

by Anonymousreply 14January 30, 2020 1:03 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2020 3:44 AM

How old is Angelina Jolie now?

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2020 3:59 AM

She was prettier than Angelina Jolie. She was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2020 4:01 AM

Gia was not breathtakingly gorgeous. She looked like Jo from Facts of Life. She was a cute Italian girl. Dykey. What's most distinguishable about her is the heroin eyes, that telltale brown circles almost always present in her photos, even when she is made up. This is not hindsight on my part - I know that look. There's no way that most people in the industry didn't know about her problems. She was exploited. But she was unreliable and a mean bitch too - so everybody got theirs.

Gia was nowhere near as beautiful as the young Cindy Crawford and not as pretty as Valerie Bertinelli.

Naturally there are some good fashion photos of Gia - she worked with some of the best. But she is only famous for how she died. And bad behaviour. Poor girl might have made it, but she would not be remembered today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2020 4:20 AM

R18 Thanks for your input Valerie!

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2020 4:26 AM

For a regular reader of Cosmopolitan of course I knew who Gia was as she was on it countless times. Cindy Crawford was originally known as "Baby Gia" and her eventual replacement.

You must remember when Gia came on the scene most models were blond/blue with fair skin or a California-style tan. Gia was definitely ethnic/Italian looking and had a strong following as a result.

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2020 5:09 AM

Heroin eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2020 6:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!