Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Yul Brynner had college and graduate degrees?

"In a thoughtful interview with David Frost on the David Frost TV show, 28 April 1971, actor Yul Brynner talked briefly about his second PhD degree. He did this at Chicago because he had plenty of time free in between acting in «The King and I» at night. He knew all the lines by heart by then, and he was bored."

I have just scoured a number of biographies and there is nothing about diplomas. Found one reference to studies in Chicago, naming Northwestern - but a search pulls up no info of Northwestern claiming him as alumnus.

"A man of many contrasts and complexities, Yul like caviar on his scrambled eggs, spoke Georgina Russian, Chinese, Versailles French, and English: he personified the lyrics of his “Puzzlement” soliloquy. He received several academic degrees, and even attended classes at Northwestern University in Chicago during the day while performing the King and I at night. He said he was very lucky that he had no classes on Wednesday afternoons when he gave matinee performances."

Anyone know anything specific about these throwaway claims? Yul could be a fabulist. Did he have a doctorate?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 25, 2020 3:57 PM

Dr. Hot Daddy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 25, 2020 2:33 PM

Obviously a lie, when would he have had the time to get TWO PhDs??

by Anonymousreply 2January 25, 2020 2:42 PM

R2 is college dropout Matt Damon.

by Anonymousreply 3January 25, 2020 2:44 PM

Bullshit. PhDs are not something you acquire easily or quickly

by Anonymousreply 4January 25, 2020 2:50 PM

Ia'm Arkiteck!

by Anonymousreply 5January 25, 2020 2:51 PM

yul's career did not advance by degrees

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 25, 2020 2:53 PM

Was he Jewish? Anyone know? His name sounds Hebrew. Gorgeous hunk of a man.

by Anonymousreply 7January 25, 2020 2:53 PM

His son Rock is a PhD and professor at Marist (and UConn or something like that?).

by Anonymousreply 8January 25, 2020 2:55 PM

Rock Brynner with and old friend of his father's. Geez HE looks older than her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 25, 2020 2:58 PM

[quote]Was he Jewish? Anyone know? His name sounds Hebrew. Gorgeous hunk of a man.

hmmm.....given the amount of foreskin displayed?

by Anonymousreply 10January 25, 2020 2:58 PM

Swiss + Russian + maybe some gypsy folk.

by Anonymousreply 11January 25, 2020 2:59 PM

He spoke "Versailles French"? Is that like the King's English?

by Anonymousreply 12January 25, 2020 3:01 PM

He was a regular Melania Trump

by Anonymousreply 13January 25, 2020 3:05 PM

Only James Franco has as many phony degrees!

by Anonymousreply 14January 25, 2020 3:07 PM

I haz Harvard Business School Diploma

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 25, 2020 3:11 PM

Some of us are poly lingual. Me I know basic greetings in six languages. You know, standards like hello, good morning etc. How are you? Como estas? Good morning, Good Day, Guten Tag, etc.

It's funny I know my name in English, Spanish and Italian. In Spanish I'm Antonio Esteban, in Italian I'm Antone Stefano.

I'm fascinated by how languages morph throughout different geographic regions. For example Italian hew closer to Latin than Spanish which was influenced by Arabic. And Portuguese sounds to me very much like someone with a hearing impediment heard Spanish and well it morphed that way.

And I only have my B.Sc in Information Science. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 16January 25, 2020 3:11 PM

Yul Brynner learned his languages growing up with his cosmopolitan parents and moving around. From Western Russia to Harbin to Paris. And a circus acrobat and boy singer in cabarets. Imagine all the tricks and tools he had in carnal relations.

by Anonymousreply 17January 25, 2020 3:15 PM

I know nothing of his education, but I've read multiple times that throughout his career he was given to pomposity and arrogance, and was not liked by many he worked with.

by Anonymousreply 18January 25, 2020 3:20 PM

Yul is definitely not a Hebrew name.

by Anonymousreply 19January 25, 2020 3:26 PM

Birth name was Yuliy (Russian name).

by Anonymousreply 20January 25, 2020 3:27 PM

They certainly don't do much to care for his grave at that Monastery in France.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 25, 2020 3:29 PM

He's no Jayne Mansfield..

by Anonymousreply 22January 25, 2020 3:30 PM

That's right, Mamie. Yul was always way more solid. He really had his head on straight!

by Anonymousreply 23January 25, 2020 3:32 PM

Good thing he was such a smarty-pants because he was a terrible actor.

by Anonymousreply 24January 25, 2020 3:33 PM

Yul was infamous for completely fabricating everything about his life. No one was really sure where he was from or his background. Lying about degrees is only the tip of the iceberg.

I never thought he was that hot. Just kinda butch.

by Anonymousreply 25January 25, 2020 3:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!