Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The doom-mongers of the past. Those gurls was DREARY!

[quote]Modern doomsayers have been predicting climate and environmental disaster since the 1960s. They continue to do so today.

[quote][bold]None of the apocalyptic predictions with due dates as of today have come true.[/bold]

[quote]This collection shows that the makers of failed apocalyptic predictions often are individuals holding respected positions in government and science. While such predictions have been and continue to be enthusiastically reported by a media eager for sensational headlines, the failures are typically not revisited.

Do YOU remember any of these? ☞

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2020 12:48 PM

Correct, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2020 10:57 AM

I remember the predicted ice age in the 70s.

& everyone going on about the ozone layer and deodorants.

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2020 11:00 AM

Questionable source.

And we’re most scientists and weather forecasters- down to the local news -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2020 11:18 AM

While I would LOVE to believe that global warming is merely a crackpot theory, there is, unfortunately, overwhelming evidence to the contrary. In my lifespan (62 years), the weather in my area has changed DRAMATICALLY. I live in the north and grew up with steady snowfall and cold temperatures from November until April. These days, our winter weather is very erratic, with wild swings from eerily mild to frigid temperatures and either "bomb tornadoes" or no snow at all. Also, something we have observed in our area is that the wind now howls constantly. Fifty-mile-an-hour winds, which were once rarities, are now common in winter and summer, toppling many trees. I hate even thinking about this stuff because it is scary and depressing but you have to be blind (or a Trumpublican) these days not to notice that things are changing at an alarming rate.

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2020 11:19 AM

^ Oops.

We’re most scientists and even local forecasters raising the alarm?

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2020 11:19 AM

^ Oops.

We’re most scientists and even local forecasters raising the alarm?

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2020 11:20 AM

I believe most people noticed a drastic change when it comes to seasonal weather patterns. Now, you can blame man-made global warming or just earth's energy streams pushing weather patterns around, or God just swiping left and right and up and down ..., but the fact remains we humans have to adapt and start thinking about solutions rather than watch the problem grow bigger and bigger and go around and blame. Humanity needs to make an effort to maintain the conditions that make living on this planet possible. And that means to make sure that we have drinkable water, air to breath, food to eat, and shelter that can withstand nature's strong weather conditions. Of course, that can be derailed by discussions like "oh, there are not enough resources out there anymore, so we better decide who gets these resources aka who lives and who dies" where the few hoard the resources for themselves to a) make sure their lives remain easy and b) have all the power over the masses who beg for a few crumbs.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2020 11:56 AM

I think the politics of the last few years can be partially explained by what R7 wrote. You get the feeling that the rich and powerful just stopped caring about the rest of the human race because they subliminally see most of it as doomed. So they do whatever they can - cut any corner, commit any crime - to accumulate as much wealth as possible. Because they know only the very wealthy will have any kind of decent living standard 25 or 30 years from now.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2020 12:00 PM

If global warming is man made - it's clearly the major industries in places like China (& wherever) that need to change their acts - all this rubbish about walking to the supermarket and not flying are lame and just designed to make us feel unhappy and restricted and controlled.

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2020 12:00 PM

Uh, and that crisis was avoided because humanity actually got it's shit together and banned the gasses that are harmful to the ozone layer, R2.

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2020 12:02 PM

If this OP is enough of an asshole to associate silly predictions of the past with our present danger from the climate change we are wrecking our biosphere with, kill this thread dead.

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2020 12:03 PM

Kill this thread? What are you so afraid of, R11?

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2020 12:05 PM

God you're a dumb fuck, R9. The US is at present the world's second biggest net emitter, and responsible for the biggest portion of carbon dioxide emissions in the atmosphere, historically. But it's got nothing to do with you, is that right?

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2020 12:09 PM

I remember being terrified as a kid by an episode if In Search Of... about global cooling, which was apparently taken seriously in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2020 12:09 PM

R11 would have made a good Nazi.

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2020 12:09 PM

[quote]God you're a dumb fuck, [R9].

^ and such an intelligent response.

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2020 12:11 PM

Anything is more intelligent than "It's China's fault", R16. You got the response your Trumpian self deserved.

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2020 12:20 PM

[quote]Anything is more intelligent than "It's China's fault", [R16]. You got the response your Trumpian self deserved.

Actually sometimes NOTHING is better than something and NOTHING is better than YOU.

[quote] "It's China's fault",

NOT what I said.

Acting superior doesn't make you superior especially when you're very stupid

and this cliché >

[quote] your Trumpian self deserved.

says all we need to know about you, "Euro".

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2020 12:37 PM

What's truly scary is that those fuckers were right, global warming is catching up to us today. There might not be an Ice Age, but conditions are getting more and more miserable with each passing month.

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2020 12:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!