Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bad Hair: Horror movie about Black hair that kills!

Justin Semein used one of his favorite genres, his culture and personal life to tell a story that is more than just a horror film. “I hope I can do this genre that I am absolutely in love to interrogate the system that is obsessed with black culture but doesn’t give a fuck about black lives,” he said. “I hope I can use this genre to interrogate a system that mines black women for their culture, ideas, compassion, wisdom and perseverance but does not give them enough options to shine in this light.”

RELATED STORY Taylor Swift Reveals Dad Feared For Her Life When She Got Political: Sundance 'Miss Americana' World

The film gives off some Brian De Palma energy mixed with B-movie delight is set in 1989 Los Angeles in which Simien said was “the year of the weave.” In it, newcomer Elle Lorraine plays Anna Bludso, who had a traumatic experience during her childhood when her scalp was burned from a mild relaxer perm. Just For Me No Lye relaxer perm. No lye, it works. 50 cents off. Fast forward to her adult life and she is working at a music video TV show called Culture, which is drenched in synthetic fabrics, ’90s hip hop flair and New Jack Swing. Amidst women in broad-shouldered blouses, her life is turned upside down when her dreadlocked boss is replaced by Zora (Vanessa Williams), a vicious ex-supermodel who looks to switch things up.

When she warns Anna about her natural hair, she goes out and gets a weave from a bougie, yet mystical hairdresser (Laverne Cox). She looks good and starts excelling at work with her new hair, but after a while, it begins to have a bloody mind of its own — literally. Her possessed weave begins to leave a body count with kills that are creative and never seen before: box braid strangulations, dreadlock hangings, knotted whippings. The director was inspired by Carrie and Rosemary’s Baby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2020 9:04 AM

Better movie about Bad Hair and about homosexuality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2020 7:43 AM

Wasn't there a movie about a killer condom? It had teeth.

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2020 7:52 AM

The Japanese did it first in 2007

Exte - killer hair extensions.

It stars the girl that played Gogo in Kill Bill 1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2020 8:21 AM

You know, that movie sounds like it could be fun!

Maybe not in ways the filmmaker intended, though.

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2020 9:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!