Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hispanic Miami police captain suspended after claiming he’s a ‘black male’

A Hispanic Miami police captain who claimed he’s a black male — not Hispanic — last week has been suspended and is now the subject of an investigation.

Javier Ortiz made the comment to a black city commissioner, among others, during a meeting in which Miami’s black police union expressed its objections to a lack of promotions, among other issues, according to the Miami Herald.

Ortiz made the controversial remark last week after the president of Community Police Benevolent Association cited Ortiz being promoted even though numerous complaints had been filed against him.

“I’m a black male. Yes, I am. And I am not Hispanic,” Ortiz reportedly said in response, garnering a swift wave of backlash.

Amid the controversy, Ortiz tweeted last Friday that his comment “isn’t news.”

“People love making stereotypes,” Ortiz wrote. “It’s actually refreshing to be who you are, like an American.”

Miami’s Deputy Police Chief, Ronald Papier, told the Herald that Ortiz has been suspended indefinitely amid an investigation, but did not specify what the probe is for.

Meanwhile, the president of Fraternal Order of Police union did not say whether his organization would defend Ortiz but would make sure he received fair treatment.

“I am embarrassed and saddened by Javier’s public comments,” said the president, Tommy Reyes, according to the Miami Herald.

"He can identify however he’d like, but I do not believe he is a black male. Ultimately, when the time comes it will be up to our members if he will receive representation.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 28, 2020 1:47 AM

Who does he think he is, Bill Clinton?

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2020 2:09 AM

"He can identify as anything he'd like but I do not believe he's a black male."

So if he id's as a female, would his bosses be able to simply declare him male and suspend him for saying he's a woman? I doubt it. Why is this case any different?

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2020 2:14 AM

That's it. I hereby declare I am a 22 hottie! Yay me!

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2020 4:10 AM

I'm not so sure he's even Hispanic.

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2020 4:20 AM

Me, too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2020 5:32 AM

He's actually more Crockett than Tubbs

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2020 5:38 AM

If Bruce Jenner can be a woman, why can't he be black?

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2020 6:07 AM

I agree with r7. I don’t get how a man can be a woman and we are supposed to go along with it but when it is race related suddenly it is an issue.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2020 11:05 AM

The question no one is allowed to ask, R7.

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2020 11:10 AM

It's funny how people always want to claim blackness (whether they're really part black or not) only after they've said or done something distinctly anti-black. They simply use race as a shield against their anti-blackness.

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2020 11:12 AM

Dick pics will make or break his case.

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2020 11:21 AM

"It's funny how people always want to claim womanhood (whether they're really part female or not) only after they've said or done something distinctly misogynist. They simply use gender as a shield against their anti-feminism."

FTFY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 28, 2020 1:37 AM

As long as Javier’s pronouns are in order, I’m good.

by Anonymousreply 13January 28, 2020 1:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!