Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How to say 'Hi' to Harry and Meghan, according to an etiquette expert

[QUOTE] If presented to the newcomers, Burnett advised people to bow or curtsy.

Not bloody, likely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 25, 2020 10:32 AM

As an American, I bow to NO ONE. Not ever. People died so I would never have to bow in my life. And I'm not doing it

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2020 12:41 AM

This chick is dead wrong.

If they're no longer to be treated like they're royal (as the loss of the HRH style signals), they get no bows and no curtsies from [italic]anyone.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2020 12:41 AM

Royalty is over. Just say how ya doin'

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2020 12:41 AM

I'm curious. In America it's actually correct to refuse to bow to a monarch, royal, or aristocrat.

Is it considered proper in Canada?

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2020 2:20 AM

Canada is in the commonwealth, R4

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2020 2:38 AM

"We have to remember that Harry will always be royal," she added. "It's in his blood."

Get that boy on Truvada, STAT!

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2020 3:06 AM

Now that there is no longer a political component, no one should bow to them, as they are no longer symbols of the UK or stand-ins for the queen.

THIS is what bugs me about this whole situation - they want all the trappings of being royals, money, prestige, deference, but NONE of the duty or responsibilities or the negative aspects of living in public eye or the restrictions of decorum associated with that position.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2020 3:28 AM

[quote] I'm curious. In America it's actually correct to refuse to bow to a monarch, royal, or aristocrat.

[quote] Is it considered proper in Canada?

The Queen is among many other things the Queen of Canada. It would thus behoove her subjects there as in the UK to bow to her,

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2020 3:40 AM

Behooved...we all know how painful THAT can be.

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2020 3:43 AM

I bow to no one.

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2020 5:34 AM

Is presenting hole appropriate?

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2020 6:06 AM

Curtsy to Meghan Markle.....my gay husband and I will certainly do that if we run into them at Whole Foods. We are practising our curtsy now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2020 6:23 AM

[quote] THIS is what bugs me about this whole situation - they want all the trappings of being royals, money, prestige, deference, but NONE of the duty or responsibilities or the negative aspects of living in public eye or the restrictions of decorum associated with that position.

Did either of them ask for this or did a random stranger? If you’re a American why would you give 2 fucks either way?

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2020 6:41 AM

Honestly, if I met them outside a professional setting, I'd probably say "Hey Harry! Wanna ditch the wifey and get a beer?".

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2020 8:03 AM

R4 Yes most Americans do not bow. America has never had a king or queen, not since we established ourselves as an independent nation.

The constitution outright bans any bestowal of royalty or nobility. And even the president is treated as our social equal. The proper way to greet him or her is with a handshake, which is something equals do to each other. Not a bow, which is something you only do to your social betters.

Presidents have gotten into political trouble at home even for seeming to be too deferential to monarchs abroad. They aren't supposed to bow either.

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2020 11:58 AM

Just say hi?

What should I do with the two cream pies I brought to the occasion to present to their entitled, self-important, clueless and greedy mugs?

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2020 12:20 PM

If I ever ran into those two, I’d pretend not to see them.

However. If introduced, I’d give them a big old American-style HUG.

“I’m American. We hug.”

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2020 12:33 PM

If I was in England I would probably bow like the tennis players do at Wimbledon. At home, naw.

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2020 12:49 PM

I would fist bump Harry and give Meghan an ironic, no-contact double air kiss.

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2020 12:58 PM

What's wrong with a good old-fashioned '70s soul-style handshake?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2020 1:26 PM

Would never bow to them. I think the whole idea of a royal family that is funded by tax payers is ridiculous. I can't believe there hasn't been a serious revolt in the U.K. about it.

I believe at least half of the US population could pass them on the street and not know who they are.

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2020 1:34 PM

[quote]THIS is what bugs me about this whole situation - they want all the trappings of being royals, money, prestige, deference, but NONE of the duty or responsibilities or the negative aspects of living in public eye or the restrictions of decorum associated with that position.

[quote]Did either of them ask for this or did a random stranger? If you’re a American why would you give 2 fucks either way?

Being an American (or Brit) has nothing to do with anything. I don't care based on nationality or some idiotic notion of patriotism. Nor do I care based on some unhinged love for the BRF or nobility.

The underlying attitude of entitlement and behavior reflects a broader social problem that can be summarized by the old Dire Straits song - they want money for nothing and chicks for free. The only abdication going on with those two is of personal responsibility and accountability.

Harry has been benefiting from being a prince and Diana's son his entire life. He's been enjoying all the privileges of rank and his position his entire life. Implicitly and explicitly, he was afforded all of that with the expectation that he would accept his responsibilities.

Sure, they wanted to grand and royal wedding that cost taxpayers millions. Fine. That can be accepted as part of state ceremony, tradition, and the increase in business arising from tourism and other economic benefits (if you believe that the BRF has a positive economic impact), as well as improving global perception and standing of the UK. The taxpayers footed the bill with the expectation that they would engage in all of the duties and responsibilities associated with being "senior royals."

But, after going through all the hubbub, the UK didn't get its money's worth - less than 3 years. Will they be paying the taxpayers back some pro rata amount for the expense? They are well into their 30s - yet will "work toward" becoming financially independent - lol.

He's essentially a grifter who is being allowed to gt away with it. He's basically Anna Delvey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2020 1:36 PM

Just say no.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2020 1:59 PM

Harry's mother literally died fleeing tabloid reporters. She spent years before that under constant siege from them. No, no one in the world is required to endure that for your own entertainment.

Harry and Meghan are free people like you or me and they can choose the life they want to live. There are still plenty of other royals for you to gawk at and you seem to not like the Sussexes anyway so I don't see why you're complaining

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2020 3:16 PM

What does that have to do with advising Canadians to bow or curtsey to them, R24?

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2020 3:30 PM

This is how it’s done people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2020 3:36 PM

[quote] As an American, I bow to NO ONE.

Soon you will, or you'll be shot.

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2020 3:36 PM

[quote] I believe at least half of the US population could pass them on the street and not know who they are.

Don't worry. Megzilla will be sure to inform you.

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2020 3:39 PM

[quote]Harry's mother literally died fleeing tabloid reporters. She spent years before that under constant siege from them. No, no one in the world is required to endure that for your own entertainment.

[quote]Harry and Meghan are free people like you or me and they can choose the life they want to live. There are still plenty of other royals for you to gawk at and you seem to not like the Sussexes anyway so I don't see why you're complaining

If he were concerned about it, he could have bowed out once he became an adult. He could have foregone the pomp and pageantry of a royal wedding and life on the public dole and in the public eye.

[quote]She spent years before that under constant siege from them.

She also spent years before baiting them, using them, and manipulating them. You act as if her marriage were some Hallmark movie where the prince was hiding his true identity, and she fell madly and passionately in love with a wonderful guy who later turned out to be the next in line for the throne. Her poor decision making before, during, and after her marriage was as much to blame as the immediate predicate event of NOT wearing a seat belt while trying to outrun the paps.

Like Diana before her, Meghan seems not to have truly understood what marrying into the family would mean and the personal costs it would levy, let alone the responsibilities that the privilege required. If there is a role for royalty in modern democratic society, it certainly isn't one of indolence and wealth, doing as one pleases without regard for any other considerations.

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2020 3:42 PM

They kidding? Never.

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2020 3:43 PM

One more point - the one thing that makes Kate unquestionably superior to Meghan, having nothing to do with looks, race, or appearances is that Kate seemingly understands what the role entails, what the requirements are, how to perform those duties and requirements, and what her place in the entire machinery is.

For now at any rate, Kate seems to have gone into the marriage with a very clear idea of what she was getting herself into, both the good and bad. Whatever her expectations were before getting married, she's fulfilled the requirements without making much fuss or causing much turmoil behind the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2020 3:49 PM

LMAO

I would never bow to these clowns. Perhaps Meghan if she stood by the fact that she left the monarchy because it's an archaic tradition. Otherwise these two have accomplished less in their lives than most Americans.

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2020 3:50 PM

I would greet them in the style of my (late) beloved Uncle Dunnie -- I'd say "Meet my bare hand!" as I thumped their forehead with my palm.

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2020 3:53 PM

"Like Diana before her, Meghan seems not to have truly understood what marrying into the family would mean and the personal costs it would levy, let alone the responsibilities that the privilege required."

I'm beginning to think that this nobody snagged Harry by listening to his whining about life as a Royal, showering him with false sympathy, and vowing to help him find a way to quit and keep all his privileges and luxuries while ditching the responsibilities.

And I also think she promised more than she can deliver.

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2020 6:09 PM

I would wait to be spoken to before speaking to them. Then I would say, "I read your press release that you have stepped DOWN from royal duties and obligations." If they reply to that: "I hope you enjoy your time in Canada. I know what it is like to escape a mad nation." That would be it. No bow.

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2020 6:14 PM

Bow or curtsy to these two especially Markle? GTFO.

by Anonymousreply 36January 24, 2020 6:19 PM

I hope these twats make a surprise appearance on the Oscars red carpet, just so I can see the celebrities and their publicists madly trying to decide whether to bow, treat them like equals, or treat them as inferiors.

by Anonymousreply 37January 24, 2020 6:34 PM

IF I were in the UL, I might bow to The Queen, but not to anyone else, especially the Sussexes, who need to get lost.

by Anonymousreply 38January 24, 2020 6:55 PM

Yeah, whether to bow or not depends on context as well as etiquette.

I'm an American, so if I meet the Queen on American soil, the correct etiquette is not to bow. If I meet the Queen because I've been invited to Buckingham palace, I'm her guest, and I will bow because I'd rather violate American etiquette than embarrass my hostess. If we meet on neutral territory, well, it'd depend on the occasion.

If I meet Meghan and Harry, I'd never even consider bowing. Who the fuck do they think they are.

by Anonymousreply 39January 24, 2020 7:02 PM

As an American, I would do a "neck bow." That's a mark of respect, but I wouldn't go any further to exercise my spinal column.

by Anonymousreply 40January 24, 2020 7:05 PM

I lose respect for anyone who romanticizes the concept of monarchy or any other form of perceived hereditary superiority.

by Anonymousreply 41January 24, 2020 7:31 PM

I imagine the last thing Harry would want at this point is for someone to bow to him.

by Anonymousreply 42January 24, 2020 7:44 PM

This whole thing was because Meghan was DONE wearing pantyhose.

by Anonymousreply 43January 25, 2020 6:23 AM

I'm apalled at the argument that because "Harry will always be royal, it's in his blood", we should treat him differently. Being a royal only means he comes from a wealthy, overprivileged family, that's all. I'm not British and I'm against the concept of monarchy. When abroad, especially when interacting with people from another country, they should be treated like random citizens. Doubly so because they renounced their title.

But also the info was from an "etiquette expert". I hope Harry himself wouldn't expect bows and curtsies.

by Anonymousreply 44January 25, 2020 10:15 AM

Will Bob Iger have to bow before he hands the cheque to Meghan after Harry has won her a role in some Pixar film?

by Anonymousreply 45January 25, 2020 10:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!