Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jim Lehrer, PBS NewsHour Founder, Dead At 85

Jim Lehrer, the co-founder and longtime anchor of “PBS NewsHour,” died Thursday.

Judy Woodruff, the show’s anchor and managing editor, revealed the news. Lehrer, 85, died “peacefully in his sleep at home,” she said in a statement on the PBS site.

“I’m heartbroken at the loss of someone who was central to my professional life, a mentor to me and someone whose friendship I’ve cherished for decades,” she said. “I’ve looked up to him as the standard for fair, probing and thoughtful journalism and I know countless others who feel the same way.”

Lehrer started the show in 1975 with co-founder Robert MacNeil after the pair teamed up to cover the unfolding Watergate scandal in 1973. The show underwent several name changes before becoming the “PBS NewsHour” in 2009.

“From co-creating the groundbreaking MacNeil/Lehrer Report to skillfully moderating many presidential debates, Jim exemplified excellence in journalism throughout his extraordinary career,” PBS President Paula Kerger said Thursday. “A true giant in news and public affairs, he leaves behind an incredible legacy that serves as an inspiration to us all. He will be missed.”

He is survived by his wife, three daughters and six grandchildren.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2020 6:30 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2020 10:24 PM

I read this as "Found Dead" and I thought Oh Christ, not another hotel scenario! Drugs, rent boys, leather gear.

by Anonymousreply 2January 23, 2020 10:29 PM

At least he hasn't been #MeToo'ed.

Yet.

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2020 12:58 AM

[quote] At least he hasn't been #MeToo'ed. Yet.

I'm on it!

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2020 1:02 AM

All the remaining great TV journalists are in the same age range.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2020 2:10 AM

[quote] All the remaining great TV journalists are in the same age range.

We still have Megyn Kelly, Hallie Jackson, and Katy Tur!

Rofl.

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2020 6:25 PM

He was sort of cute in a fresh-faced, eager beaver-ish way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2020 6:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!