Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let’s be the movie - “Making Love” -1982

It’s inspired by another thread. I’ll start.

I’m the goddamned Gilbert and Sullivan records.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 30, 2020 1:56 AM

I'm the peck and groove floors that Claire is so enamored of in the house she really wants to buy with Zach.

by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2020 1:46 AM

I'm the fabulous indoor pool Harry Hamlin has in his West Hollywood house.

by Anonymousreply 2January 23, 2020 1:47 AM

I'm the hamburger Harry Hamlin eats alone at The Abby after he fucks Michael Dukakis' nephew John, the guy he picks up at the Mother Lode.

by Anonymousreply 3January 23, 2020 1:49 AM

I’m Rupert

by Anonymousreply 4January 23, 2020 1:49 AM

I’m the floral dinner plate that Kate Jackson drops on the floor to break the tension. We’re going to cut the silence and talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 5January 23, 2020 1:52 AM

I'm THAT jar of Vaseline sitting on the side table. Claire sees me and figures out what my purpose it, but can't move me from her sightline without insulting the trick she's interrogating.

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2020 1:58 AM

purpose IS.

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2020 1:58 AM

I'm the dry-humping anal scenes left on the cutting room floor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2020 2:16 AM

I'm Tim, the trick Bart takes home for sex one night, and I'm played by John Dukakis, son of Governor Michael and Kitty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2020 2:25 AM

I'm the chaste kiss between Michael and Harry that caused all the straight men in the theater (with dates, of course) to start hooting and booing in total outrage.

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2020 3:35 AM

I'm little retarded Rupert who talks to someone off-camera while playing ball with them at the movie's finale.

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2020 3:37 AM

I'm the original title, "Buttbuddies".

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2020 4:02 AM

I'm the boner in every gay boy's pants in 1982 watching late night HBO as Harry kissed Michael then began undressing him before a gauzy fade away.

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2020 4:31 AM

I’m Claire, I can handle it, no matter what it is!

(Dear, it’s NOT another woman.)

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2020 11:38 AM

'I'm almost thirty, and I'm wondering about being forty"

by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2020 11:45 AM

I’m the surprisingly gorgeous end credits ballad sung by the brilliant Roberta Flack but which we just know was first offered to Dionne Warwick and we know she turned it down when she found out what the movie was about.

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2020 11:52 AM

I'm the infection that Harry Hamlin goes to sexy Dr. Michael for treatment.

by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2020 12:13 PM

[quote]I’m the surprisingly gorgeous end credits ballad sung by the brilliant Roberta Flack but which we just know was [bold]first offered to Dionne Warwick and we know she turned it down when she found out what the movie was about[/bold].

That's what friends are for, r16.

by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2020 12:16 PM

Im the dream boyfriend at the end that you always wanted but couldn't get when you were married to the high strung clueless former Angle and that male whore I was slumming it with in WeHo.

by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2020 12:43 PM

R9 I remember him from Jaws 2, cute guy

by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2020 12:48 PM

I'm the laugh track!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 23, 2020 12:53 PM

I am the word AIDS which just came into being the same year. You have never heard of me, but you will soon as most of your gay friends will die in front of in the next10 years with no cure or treatment on the horizon. I will wipe out almost an entire generation of gay men.

You knew me as GRID (Gay Related Immune Deficiency)

by Anonymousreply 22January 23, 2020 12:56 PM

Wow, thanks for sharing that r21. So wrong but funny. That was the first gay film I ever saw so kind of jarring to see it that way.

by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2020 1:02 PM

I am a legitimate exta/background actor in this film but I can't find myself anywhere in the final cut.

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2020 1:11 PM

I'm the booby prize.

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2020 2:50 PM

I’m Claire, the high powered TV executive. I’m fighting for quality programming. I don’t want to go back to PBS.

by Anonymousreply 26January 23, 2020 8:10 PM

I'm the terrible country singer who happened to be director Arthur Hiller's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 27January 23, 2020 10:04 PM

I'm Wendy Hiller, wondering what connection an Oscar winner and Dame of the Empire would have with any of the characters in this very middle-class milieu.

Well, when I got the Oscar, I said something about hoping it would lead to cold, hard cash. Guess this was the payoff.

Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 28January 23, 2020 10:06 PM

I'm the 20-year-old gay man, pre-Internet, without cable TV, closed, in the middle of flyover country, not out to anyone, barely out to myself, thirsting for any mention of gay men that wasn't negative (think Leonard Matlovich). I will watch you as soon as I can do so in secret. I will never forget you.

by Anonymousreply 29January 23, 2020 10:13 PM

I'm Zach's patient's cut off breast, which made her husband reject her, which made the patient lash out at Zach, which made Zach drive into a dark alley on his way home hoping to get some cock before returning to Claire.

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2020 2:00 AM

[quote]I am a legitimate exta/background actor in this film but I can't find myself anywhere in the final cut.—Jon-Erik-Hexum

Well, blowing your head off accidentally with a gun probably didn't help your career either.

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2020 8:55 AM

I'm Bart's LaserDisc of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. He stores me right next to his disc of Eyes of Laura Mars.

My entire media format will soon begin dying out.

Looking back from the future, I may be seen as an allegory for the coming AIDS deaths.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2020 9:56 AM

I’m Claire and I tell Donald to “stop calling me honey!”

by Anonymousreply 33January 25, 2020 1:17 AM

I'm the wrong toothpaste that Claire bought. How hard is it to remember the kind of toothpaste Zach likes?

by Anonymousreply 34January 25, 2020 1:21 AM

I’m Bart.

For your information, wise ass, I’ve never cruised a bus terminal in my life!

by Anonymousreply 35January 25, 2020 2:05 AM

R9, John Dukakis is Kitty's son from a previous marriage. Even though John took the name Dukakis, Michael never legally adopted him.

by Anonymousreply 36January 25, 2020 2:22 AM

I thought Kate Jackson gave magnificent performance.

by Anonymousreply 37January 25, 2020 2:45 AM

Kate Jackson is always good.

I’m the career of Harry Hamlin that despite him being beautiful then and now was probably more hurt because he was a wooden actor than because he did this movie.

by Anonymousreply 38January 25, 2020 2:57 AM

I’m the great jobs that the main three main stars had that made unrelateable Characters even more unrelatable.

by Anonymousreply 39January 25, 2020 3:01 AM

I’m the movie Missing.

Me and my gay friend talked about Making Love for months so when it came out everything I read about it made me not want to see it. We went to movies together (I paid) he still went to ML and I saw Missing. After it was over he said he liked it but I could tell he was lying.

To this day he Pooh poohs my movie opinions. I tell him critics are not always wrong but he doesn’t listen.

by Anonymousreply 40January 25, 2020 3:13 AM

I'm Nancy Olson who has one line..."Would anyone like more meat?"

by Anonymousreply 41January 25, 2020 6:14 AM

I'm the TV series version of the movie "Roman Holiday" that Claire pitches to her father over the phone while Zach is out getting fucked.

by Anonymousreply 42January 25, 2020 9:59 AM

I'm pastel pullover sweaters, the obligatory apparel of upwardly mobile gay men who lounge in their Upper West Side condominiums with their lovers.

by Anonymousreply 43January 25, 2020 3:03 PM

I’m Ted. I have more tricks running in and out of this apartment.....it’s like bargain day at Woolworth’s.

by Anonymousreply 44January 25, 2020 8:14 PM

I'm the strange fascination of Rupert Brooke for closet cases.

by Anonymousreply 45January 25, 2020 9:24 PM

I'm 7 years after Zach has left Claire, when Winnie has died and Zach returns to LA for her funeral and neither he nor Claire has aged a day. Simply amazing.

by Anonymousreply 46January 26, 2020 4:30 PM

I’m the last image in the movie, the two roads, going in different directions, Claire back to her hubby and child, and Zach back out of her life, to his hubby across the country.

Nothing like visual metaphors, is there?

by Anonymousreply 47January 26, 2020 4:42 PM

I’m the strange invitation Claire gives to Zachary to come back to her house after the funeral and the no more than 5 minutes Zachary spends standing on the lawn talking to Claire’s husband and child only to then turn around and leave.

by Anonymousreply 48January 26, 2020 4:47 PM

I am Kate Jackson's career - ready to take off and get the Meryl Streep roles!

by Anonymousreply 49January 26, 2020 4:57 PM

This would work better if anyone actually saw the movie.

by Anonymousreply 50January 26, 2020 5:01 PM

We all saw it in 1982. In fact, this thread probably is about 12% of the total viewership at that time.

by Anonymousreply 51January 26, 2020 5:22 PM

I'm Zach, being kind of cunty toward Claire at the end and acting like I can't wait to get the hell outta there.

by Anonymousreply 52January 26, 2020 5:48 PM

I'm the genuine look of pain and hurt on Kate Jackson's face in that final frame after Zach walks away for the last time. I'm why Kate Jackson should have had a bigger movie career.

by Anonymousreply 53January 26, 2020 5:49 PM

I am the profound sense of loss that the subject was dealt with before most people were ready for it. There is great potential for drama, powerful writing and performances, and even room for some hot sex scenes. But not in 1982. The only way to get it made was to make it so bland, boring, and passionless that it would be inoffensive. Sadly, they forgot that even those few who would come to see it would have nothing good to say about it, and kill any chance for mainstream acceptance. Although some of us budding queens came away with mad crushes for Michael Ontkean and Harry Hamlin –almost never to be seen again after that career-killing movie.

by Anonymousreply 54January 26, 2020 6:29 PM

R50, I agree. It’s on UTube. It’s a clear and crisp video.

OP

by Anonymousreply 55January 26, 2020 6:57 PM

R53, I thoroughly agree. Kate Jackson’s genuine look of pain and hurt was brilliant. I felt more sorrow for her character, Claire, because she stilled loved Zach. When I left the movie theatre in 1982, Claire’s pain and loss was haunting and heartbreaking. Today, in 2020, it’s still just as poignant. Kate Jackson’s performance deserved an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 56January 26, 2020 7:10 PM

R56 Agreed. Claire is actually the character you care about in this movie - the woman who couldn't stop loving her husband, no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 57January 26, 2020 8:27 PM

I don't caer about her. She was annoying.

by Anonymousreply 58January 27, 2020 4:52 AM

I'm Goldie Hawn who turned down the part of Claire because she felt her fans would not accept in her such a role.

by Anonymousreply 59January 27, 2020 5:07 AM

I'm the empty theater with a group of 5 protesters outside with picket signs because the content should be rated X for promoting the homosexual lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 60January 27, 2020 6:20 AM

I'm Kate Jackson who always seemed a bit butch like she was going to come out at any minute too.

by Anonymousreply 61January 27, 2020 7:15 AM

I'm the crepe paper that's a bitch to tear.

by Anonymousreply 62January 27, 2020 7:47 AM

I'm the proposed sequel...

MAKING LOVE 2: FUCKING

by Anonymousreply 63January 27, 2020 8:24 AM

Im the weird feeling that all gay men got the first time someone was on to you being gay before you were out.

by Anonymousreply 64January 27, 2020 9:58 AM

I’m such a pretty view

by Anonymousreply 65January 27, 2020 10:14 AM

I'm Marvin Davis the head of the studio who at a private screening of the film bellowed: 'You made a goddamn faggot movie!'

by Anonymousreply 66January 27, 2020 5:36 PM

We're Claire and Zach watching and saying the lines from An Affair to Remember, which just happens to be another Fox release.

by Anonymousreply 67January 27, 2020 5:44 PM

He’s not back from lunch.

He’s not at home.

He’s not at the clinic.

I’m the 3rd time this week.

by Anonymousreply 68January 28, 2020 1:13 AM

I’m the TV pilot about sex and corruption among the rich.

by Anonymousreply 69January 28, 2020 1:15 AM

I think Kate Jackson was at the peak of her beauty in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 70January 28, 2020 1:16 AM

I'm the script for "Halligan's Dolls" on Claire's desk. I'm a wink and a nod to "Charlie's Angels," starring Kate Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 71January 28, 2020 1:17 AM

I’m Arlene Powers and I lost my knack! Shut up and don’t give me your false comfort!

by Anonymousreply 72January 28, 2020 1:35 AM

I’m Arlene’s loud green and blue floral patterned sofa. Her husband left her.

by Anonymousreply 73January 28, 2020 1:40 AM

I'm the weekly anthology of great American plays that Claire pitches to the network executives. She's pissed that people want junk because her network has taught them to want junk.

by Anonymousreply 74January 28, 2020 1:41 AM

R71 Sorry - I meant "Callahan's Dolls."

by Anonymousreply 75January 28, 2020 1:43 AM

I'm The Spike, the gay bar on Santa Monica Boulevard that Zach visits in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday that's completely full and blasting disco music. Apparently, gay men didn't have day jobs in 1982.

by Anonymousreply 76January 28, 2020 1:46 AM

I'm "Good Intentions," Bart's wildly successful novel that's enabled him to live in a fabulous Hollywood Hills home with an indoor swimming pool and stained glass window.

by Anonymousreply 77January 28, 2020 1:50 AM

I'm Bart's boots. I've been with him for 8 years.

by Anonymousreply 78January 28, 2020 1:55 AM

I'm Bart's three-panelled mirror.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79January 28, 2020 2:19 AM

It’s 2020. I left my condo because I couldn’t afford it. I had to move into the Star View Trailer Court. I’m a hateful, vicious, embittered old queen. My youth and beauty are gone. I sit alone in my trailer, watching TCM, drinking Johnnie Walker Scotch. I should’ve latched onto Zach, the doctor man. I’d be living the high life in Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 80January 28, 2020 9:12 PM

R80, if you haven’t guessed it, I’m Bart. (Behind my back, they call me Princess Margaret.)

by Anonymousreply 81January 28, 2020 9:14 PM

As a companion to the Affair to Remember scene I'm Zach and Bart watching and quoting the love scene from Eyes of Laura Mars.

Laura: I can't understand... how it's possible... to live your whole life... without someone... and be doing more or less OK. And then suddenly you find them.

John Neville: You recognize them.

Laura: You recognize them. And... you know without them...

John Neville: [whispered] It's terrifying.

Laura: Yes.

John Neville: [whispered] It's beautiful.

Laura: Yes.

by Anonymousreply 82January 30, 2020 1:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!