Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are Meghan and Harry upset about *exactly*?

Can one of you royalist queens fill me in on what exactly is going in with Harry and Meghan? I've been on vacation and this story is everywhere. Why are they leaving the royal family? What exactly are they so pissed off about? The paparazzi taking photos of them? Being mean to them in the tabloids? Isn't that going to happen whether they're in the royal family or not? Can their lives be THAT bad? There are about 50 threads going on about this topic on the DL, so can someone condense the situation for me??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150February 4, 2020 3:58 AM

I wanna know too OP

by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2020 1:13 AM

I think they’re upset because a black girl can’t be queen.

by Anonymousreply 2January 23, 2020 1:16 AM

OP, look at these headlines about Kate M vs the ones about Meghan M. The news media is harassing Harry’s wife and portraying her to be a villain, which has been pretty effective judging by the way people here talk about her. They hate her because she is an American actress and probably also because she’s black.

Being a royal almost drove Diana to suicide, and Diana was already culturally British and already royal-adjacent, and so she was somewhat adjusted to the culture and the protocols. If you’re American and have ever been to the UK, then you may have been shocked as I was to discover that we speak a similar language but we are very different countries with very different cultures. It’s hard to adjust just to that.

Add to that giving up your life for lame public appearances at which you can’t behave like a human being, being stalked everywhere you go and made into the greatest villain of our time, second perhaps to Donald Trump, by the news. And then add a baby to all that madness.

I don’t blame them at all for getting out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 23, 2020 1:17 AM

Ultimately, they’re angry that no one likes her. He likely told her she’d be adored and feted when married him. It has nothing to do with her race, age or nationality. It has everything to do with her greedy, self-obsessed, selfish, show-boating, dishonesty personality. She’s completely unlikable.

by Anonymousreply 4January 23, 2020 1:31 AM

The Brits started the slave trade. Now karma has created an aging country of pasty inbreds being inundated by a robust population of dark-skinned people.

by Anonymousreply 5January 23, 2020 1:39 AM

I don’t understand why Harry has to do so many royal family things, repping the Windsors. He’s like 6th or 7th in line for the throne. Edward is as far from the throne as a Harry is & he didn’t & doesn't go around repping the royals the way Harry did.

I can imagine William is pissed because he expected a Harry to share the duties of the BRF with him. But why should he? He’s never going to be King, so why should he be so publicly scrutinized & have so many responsibilities when he’s just another Windsor who won’t inherit the throne? Harry’s marriage is being trashed & his wife is being thrashed by the media — and for what? So he can be the Duke of Sussex? He’s not even a prince anymore.

I’d totally leave. He’s being expected to take as much responsibility & public scrutiny as William, knowing full well it will never pay off.

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2020 1:45 AM

I actually like her, have from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2020 1:47 AM

Yeah, R4, I agree. I'd love to blame it on racism, anti-Americanism or classism. For some people, these are factors for sure. However, she has a shit personality. I can see her fakeness from thousands of miles away. She's also very impressed with herself even though she has no real accomplishments to her name besides bagging a prince. She's pretentious, uses many meaningless words, and lectures people. I can imagine that this along with her deep, needy desire to be loved by everyone went down like a lead balloon in Britain.

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2020 1:48 AM

I forget--why didn't they go to Africa? That was the plan as of last April.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2020 1:56 AM

Because she runs that show, R9, and she had no desire to move to Africa. She goes to Africa for photos ops only.

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2020 1:58 AM

Where the fuck have you been OP? the moon?

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2020 2:19 AM

[quote] I can imagine William is pissed because he expected a Harry to share the duties of the BRF with him. But why should he? He’s never going to be King, so why should he be so publicly scrutinized & have so many responsibilities when he’s just another Windsor who won’t inherit the throne? Harry’s marriage is being trashed & his wife is being thrashed by the media — and for what? So he can be the Duke of Sussex? He’s not even a prince anymore....I’d totally leave. He’s being expected to take as much responsibility & public scrutiny as William, knowing full well it will never pay off.

This is true, to a point. Harry was expected to carry some of the workload, it wasn't to his liking, and he and his wife bailed. In any other family this would be fine, no problem. And to an extent - kind of - it is in this case, in the BRF. He wanted something else for himself, he chose to move away. No biggie.

Many in the UK though, or royal watchers elsewhere, are unhappy at what they a) feel is really motivating the changes and b) how they were initiated and conducted by the Sussexes.

Re the latter, there are many reports of how H&M planned this move for months, keeping it to themselves without discussion with Prince Charles of TQ. That's been since challenged, so its hard to know the what may have happened behind closed doors. TQ is no doubt disappointed, and many in the UK upset for her - she's elderly and worthy of familial respect. Veiled insinuations that her family were 'toxic' or 'racist' around Meghan - when so much hospitality (at least in public) was extended to her - has many up in arms as well. Millions of $ were spent on H&M's wedding, housing, clothes, jewels, furnishings, cars, drivers, servants, trips, healthcare, and top security. The claims of 'toxicity' ring hollow to many, and cruel to TQ, Charles, and UK citizenry in general. She was embraced, at least early on.

re the potential motivation: there's heavy talk that H&M would like to become financially independent, not by their own skills, but by commercializing their titles and close royal association. H's cousin Peter Phillips, for ex, was seen this week in a hugely tacky overseas ad for the Chinese milk industry, trading in on his royal-adjacent status & his relation to TQ. H&M could do this ten-fold, for multiples more money, seen as gross and exploitative. It would tarnish the monarchy and hurt his family/TQ and that has many upset.

They haven't done this yet of course, but there are many indications it could happen and feelings are strong on the subject.

That's kind of it, in a nutshell. I'm sure others will agree or dispute.

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2020 2:27 AM

She's fake. Why would you show off your belly for pictures and expose your coat so your belly can be seen? Then complain about paparazzi?

She cares more about herself than her job. She's not good at the job. Kate and Camilla are probably worse but they are better at not being transparent in their narcissism. I don't hate her but I saw this and cringed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2020 2:28 AM

I just think they're tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2020 2:31 AM

She's the same as Diana, complaining about the press, then using them for her own ends.

by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2020 2:32 AM

[quote] Edward is as far from the throne as a Harry is & he didn’t & doesn't go around repping the royals the way Harry did.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Check the Royal Calendar to see the engagements of members of the Royal Family. Edward and Sophie have a lot of engagements.

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2020 2:34 AM

Things seemed to escalate after they released their Christmas card; I'm guessing the press started going after baby Archie's looks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2020 2:43 AM

What’s wrong with kids eyes?

by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2020 2:51 AM

Harry is gay, like his dad (it happens in the best of families). Getting out from under the spotlight will enable him to have a boyfriend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2020 2:52 AM

The media in the UK is relentless.

Mocking an infant's appearance. That's really lower than low.

by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2020 3:04 AM

Concise summary: Meghan is a grifter and dimwitted Harry has fallen prey to her.

by Anonymousreply 21January 23, 2020 3:05 AM

So... is Harry still in line to be king if William & kids die in a jet crash/terrorist attack/what3ver, or did he legally "abdicate being a Prince", regardless of whether he's still a Windsor?

My impression is that he's technically still in line, but only until Parliament needs to distract the media for a few days & passes a law effectively disqualifying him.

by Anonymousreply 22January 23, 2020 3:06 AM

OP here, I guess what confuses me is their anger towards the press. As a commoner, I don't understand why it's a big deal for royals. If I had the knowledge that every material need of mine could be met at the drop of a hat due to my immense wealth, social status, and resources... why would I be bothered by why what the tabloids write? Presumably they have 24/7 security and the means to hire an entire security staff, so would the paparazzi really be a danger at that point?

I can certainly understand why actors or "commoner" celebrities would be bothered by negative press, as that could actually affect their livelihood/reputation . BUT... the royals have all their money? How does negative press truly affect them? They don't have to work for a damn thing.

I guess it means less signs in your guest book (like Princess Margaret) if you die, but other than that... so what?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2020 3:09 AM

"less signs" = "fewer signatures" (oopsie!)

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2020 3:10 AM

Three things - the press was gunning for her after they published the letter in VF early on complaining about the "racism" meted out to her in the press. Rags like the DM did not moderate the deluge of vile comments.

Second - unlike the Tindalls and Phillipses, they could not participate in lucrative commercial activities due to their royal status.

Third - she chafed under all the restrictions, rules and protocol. There's a video on Youtube, "32 times MM was told NO by the BRF".

Living under a flight path probably came into it as well.

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2020 7:59 AM

H & M are upset because they were told to stay in their lane. But as a pathological narcissist, sMeg will have none of it and will try her hideous best to upstage everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 26January 23, 2020 8:20 AM

I dont get Brits and why their panties are in such a wad. All the things posted here about knowing she is fake, pretentious, etc can be said of Camilla Parker-Bowles. They sound like jealous bitches, like "that should have been me". At least Meghan doesn't burn my eyes out when I have to look at a royal.

by Anonymousreply 27January 23, 2020 8:23 AM

R5, you have it bass ackwards.

The U.K. has developed an international expertise in genetic disorders thanks to the high proportion of Pakistanis who marry within their families. This goes on for generations, thereby exacerbating genetic issues.

by Anonymousreply 28January 23, 2020 8:23 AM

Camilla doesn't lecture anyone or tell them how to live. She never appeared in a £54,000 frock, she doesn't whinge about the press, she doesn't have a trashy family who airs dirty laundry in public, she never tries too upstage her husband, she doesn't have "friends" write to the papers to defend her, and she has taken a lot of abuse without complaint.

by Anonymousreply 29January 23, 2020 8:30 AM

R23

[quote] Presumably they have 24/7 security and the means to hire an entire security staff, so would the paparazzi really be a danger at that point?

Actually, there are strict restrictions on photographs of the RF in the UK. So, those who claim about the paparazzi in the UK are misinformed.

Think it's not true? Then link to all the paparazzi pictures of the Sussex duo since their wedding. I'd be interested to see what people come up with.

It is true that their beef is with the press (not photographers, I think) and given that she and later he chose to poke the beast flinging accusations at the press when most people had no idea who she was - well, apparently neither of them were familiar with the quotation...

[quote] Never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barell.

It's pretty obvious that they want to control all press about them. The screwing around with information about Archie's birth, godparents, etc. is a prime example.

But why they think they will be able to control things in North America is baffling.

by Anonymousreply 30January 23, 2020 8:34 AM

R29 = Camilla's press secretary.

I know you all are in love with that horse face royal but I seem to recall quite a bit of stuff you all didnt like about her back in the day. For one, it's really tacky if not immoral to go after someone once they are married, no denying she did that. Yet you praise that sort of tacky relationship public display while you take down a young woman who is being loyal to her family.

by Anonymousreply 31January 23, 2020 8:39 AM

Ginger: spoiled, self-absorbed man-child who blames mainly his Father and Brother for all of his discontent in life. He found in Megs the perfect weapon to bludgeon his Father, Brother and restrictive royal protocol for what he perceives is his abysmal treatment. When Ginger feels that his Father and Brother are sufficiently chastened and contrite, he will return to the Royal fold.

Megs: narcissistic grifter, who found in Ginger what she believed was the ultimate rung on the ladder to attention ("I thought royalty was instant fame") and wealth. Megs wants to be the only star in the galaxy, the constant center of attention. When she realized that she would be forever in the background, she balked ("this isn't working for me"). When she realizes that there is even less attention and wealth being a former Royal, she'll find herself another mark and move on. If her previous grifts are anything to go by, this should happen fairly soon.

by Anonymousreply 32January 23, 2020 8:40 AM

R12 has conveniently forgotten that Blackamoor broach incident. Of course those old snobs (at least some) were racist behind the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 33January 23, 2020 9:24 AM

Harry is 6th in line to the throne. His son Archie is 7th. Prince Edward is 11th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 23, 2020 9:38 AM

[QUOTE] She never appeared in a £54,000 frock, she doesn't whinge about the press, she doesn't have ..

Unlike Meghan, Camilla isn't independently wealthy to the tune of 4.5m so she shouldn't be wearing 54k dresses.

by Anonymousreply 35January 23, 2020 10:11 AM

When people talk about Meghan's narcissism, don't forget one of the key aspects: grandiosity. There is also something called an "empty narcissist," an individual who, no matter how much attention, validation, acclaim, etc they receive, they always feel "less than" and empty inside.

by Anonymousreply 36January 23, 2020 11:24 AM

She's from a broken home, raised in LA. It's sad she ditched her dad because he reflected poorly on her. She did what she had to do, I guess. Her friends were right. It destroyed her life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 23, 2020 11:42 AM

Goodness Camilla is a messy eater. Wouldn't want to invite her home for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 38January 23, 2020 12:14 PM

In my book it's very hard to weep about alleged racism against Meghan when she could stand in the middle of one of the poorest (and blackest) countries in the world moaning on international TV about how nobody ever asks her if she's OK. If that wasn't evidence of (a) no sense of proportion (b) self-involvement that cannot be distracted by the most grim reality AND (c) complete lack of empathy for those who are really badly off, then I don't know what is. In other words, when it's happening to her it's very racially driven; when it's happening to other black people it's - well, it's not her.

Those who are saying she couldn't have known how awful it would be are "this is why they hate you" Americans. The BRF is one of the most famous institutions in the world, the story of Diana is legend, and if you were marrying into those things and you didn't do any research you bloody deserve what you get. You didn't catch Princess Mary going, "OMG, I didn't know I'd have to learn DANISH!" and rushing out the door. The number one value of all Royal families is Duty. It's a big value for the whole British aristocracy: they really believe that having been born to privilege, they need to "give back". Obviously they don't give back enough to produce anything like equality, but they do very highly value their duty, and for the Royals, that is duty to the entire public. Which includes negotiations with the press, like it or lump it.

To answer OP's question: What exactly they are upset about is quite simply that Meghan can't be the next Queen.

by Anonymousreply 39January 23, 2020 12:19 PM

Excellent post r39

by Anonymousreply 40January 23, 2020 12:24 PM

R5 - Open a history book. Portugal started the transatlantic slave trade in Europe in the 15th century, when they began kidnapping people from the western coast of Africa and bringing them back as slaves.

You know, the world outside Britain really wasn't a garden of Eden, and if only the Spanish Armada had been successful, the world wouldn't be in the shape it's in today.

Google is your friend if you're too lazy to open a book.

by Anonymousreply 41January 23, 2020 12:29 PM

R5 could even attend the African American museum in DC, where the history of slavery is clearly shown since the 1400s. Unless you think that's not a good enough authority?

by Anonymousreply 42January 23, 2020 12:36 PM

R23/OP

...why would Harry have a problem with the Press? Did you really just ask that? His mother was chased into a tunnel and essentially murdered my Paparazzi! I don't think he's ever gotten over that. I sure as hell wouldn't. But here are the points that I think ultimately led to this decision for him to split.. which is something he's probably been fantasizing about since birth.

1) he hates constantly being tormented by the paparazzi (sadly that will never change)

2) his wife still wants to act and be an actress but can't really do that with the duties involved in being a member of the Royal Family

3) she's been subjected to racist comments and likely so will their son

4) Her family history has been dredged up for the entertainment of the masses even though

5) as has been pointed out, Harry is like 7th in line for the throne anyway

6) there's this business with Prince Andrew is it (?) having been connected to the Epstein situation and sex with underage girls, which I'm sure is disturbing and probably going to explode at some point

7) everybody fantasizes about what they can't have and I suspect for a child born into a restrictive Royal culture there can be no greater fantasy than breaking free from it and making your own way. If there was a stronger reason to stay, and Harry was next in line for the throne, and the public had responded positively to his wife, maybe this wouldn't be happening. But I honestly don't think there was much chance of Harry wanting to stick around when he has the benefits of oodles of cash and popularity on his side. Harry has always been a bit of a wild child at least by British royal family standards. I just don't see him wanting to fall in line with the Pomp and Circumstance for the rest of his life when flipping the script seems so much more interesting, and he already saw I positively impacted his mother's life when he was younger. I'm guessing she was much happier after the divorce than she was trapped in a loveless marriage.

None of this really surprises me. I do think however that Harry he's going to have to flee to the fur witches of the Arctic Circle to avoid Paparazzi for real. He and Megan are probably going to trade on their celebrity and inevitably remain part of the royal family narrative.

Did you know that after Harry was spotted chit-chatting with Disney CEO Bob Iger, Megan landed a voice-over contract with Disney?

by Anonymousreply 43January 23, 2020 12:37 PM

And if it weren't for Muslims, who'd been slavers since the 10th century, the slave trade from Africa to Europe, Asia and the Americas would not have existed.

by Anonymousreply 44January 23, 2020 12:38 PM

Sorry r43 here - flee to the far reaches was what I meant

by Anonymousreply 45January 23, 2020 12:40 PM

R39 - Agree, your post is terrific.

Meghan is a fantasist and a narcissist whose dreams of global stardom were limited by her lack of talent at anything but self-promotion.

She persuaded herself that by marrying Harry she would finally turn into the World Icon she really envisioned herself to be. When that didn't happen, and Meghan realised she'd have to play ball with the institutions she married into in order to establish her bona fides by their, not her, guidelines, she threw her toys out of the pram in a fury and went home.

And, Meghan also realised that no matter what she did, the best she would ever do within that framework was the spare's wife, ending up eventually like Sophie Wessex, whilst Kate became increasingly important as a future Queen as the shadow of the throne crept ever closer to the Cambridges.

With the likelihood that within five or so years Kate and William would have bigger titles - Prince and Princess of Wales - more money, more status, and more social influence, the British press taking endless revenge for Meghan's early threats to them, and lifelong dependence on Charles' generosity whilst William got the revenues from the Duchy of Cornwall . . .

Meghan figured she might as well take as much as she could carry with her (including Harry) and move on. Harry's issues with his father and brother and boredom with the work dovetailed neatly with Meghan's ambitions.

How well it will turn out for the Sussexes remains to be seen.

Meghan is a bit like Marvel's Loki: "Contentment isn't in my nature." Given that, long-term happiness for the couple seems doubtful.

by Anonymousreply 46January 23, 2020 12:42 PM

R39 I thought it was funny to hear her say she was their sister. Like girl please, you're going to get on a plane and hop back to Kardashianville. Nothing about her registers that she identifies as black, except when it's convenient for a photo op.

Growing up in LA made her so superficial. In LA people aren't as racist as they are about money. If you have fame or money, you're in and if you don't, you're out. How fake is everyone's life btw? It's got to hurt to have what you sell to the public blow up in your face.

by Anonymousreply 47January 23, 2020 12:43 PM

To summarise R43 - M&H are selfish.

You may perhaps not know that Diana was forever notifying the press or the paparazzi about where she would be or what she was prepared to say, when she wanted to make a point. When she wanted Charles to know she was a bigger star than he was, or she wanted to show the world what an affectionate mother or caring saint she was, there was never a shortage of photographers to show it. To some extent, she made the trap that caught her, and continues to catch other Royals now.

Further, the idea that the paparazzi hunted her down and killed her is stupid. There was no reason why the car had to outpace them. I'm sure it had dark windows, so even if they caught up, what was the worst they could do? They didn't have rifles, you know. If Diana had order the chauffeur to slow down, he'd have had to, and nothing would have occurred apart from pictures of D&D emerging from the car at his place. Assuming he didn't have the sense to have an underground garage with an elevator. The speed and the fact that she and Dodi were not wearing their seatbelts were the actual problems. The one passenger who was survived, and he was in the front seat. They didn't even have to leave the Ritz. Dodi just felt like going to his apartment and Diana agreed, despite there being paps outside.

I'm not saying Harry understands all that. He was so young people might have left him with the "saintly mother hunted down by evil press" story that was prominent at the time, as it was simple and comforting in that it made Diana entirely the victim. The reality was more complex.

by Anonymousreply 48January 23, 2020 12:54 PM

R23 - A drunk driver murdered Harry's mother and as for who wouldn't get over that - oddly, his brother seems to have done so remarkably well.

I don't absolve the paps for chasing the car, but the fact is, the driver was drunk, and Diana had airily dismissed her RPOs saying she didn't need them, as Dodi Fayed had bodyguards.

It is also true that Diana learnt quickly how to manipulate the press, baited them, courted them, played PR games with Charles, and was hardly a saint. She called the paps when it suited her to be papped, and indignantly castigated them when it suited her. She broke up one marriage and was nearly sued for her obsessive pursuit of the married Oliver Hoare. She ended her life in the arms of a pathetic, sleazy man in his forties who couldn't go for a pee without asking his equally sleazy father for permission.

It isn't easy to readjust one's perceptions as a mature man from viewing a not only missed but media-canonised Mum to a more nuanced and realistic view of her as a beloved but flawed figure, but it is necessary to be able to do so to get "over" it and live a life not dominated by it.

Harry is stunning emotionally immature, and his choices reflect that. There is a difference between never ceasing to miss an early-lost loving mother (which Diana was, whatever her other flaws), and never getting "over" the loss.

The Fayed machine was at least as responsible for the accident in allowing Henri Paul to drive the two whilst pissed, something that Mohammed Fayed's legal case against the BRF was intended to deflect attention from. Diana's RPOs would never have let her get into that car.

Diana never in her life had a successful long-term romantic relationship. Her own issues stood in the way - her fantasies, her need for adoration 24/7, her narcissism, and, a trait she shares with Harry's wife, an incredible ability to envision outcomes based on her rearrangement of reality in her mind.

Which brings us full circle to what, exactly, Meghan and Harry are upset about. "She thought becoming a duchess would mean instant popularity."

Just the way Diana thought becoming Princess of Wales would catapult her into being the heroine of a Barbara Cartland romance.

by Anonymousreply 49January 23, 2020 12:58 PM

R43 - Oh, I don't know, I rather liked "fur witches". :)

by Anonymousreply 50January 23, 2020 1:01 PM

As previous posters pointed out Harry basically received an allowance that came with a lot of restrictions attached. And the UK press was really mean and disrespectful to Meghan. While I do think Meghan is the driving force behind the split (and having her own devious agenda?), I think it's not really that much of a bad thing for a guy like Harry to separate himself from the family business and do his own thing and be independent of his family's fortune and legacy. Of course, others like Prince Andrew tried that - with the Royal Court's blessing - and failed several times miserably.

by Anonymousreply 51January 23, 2020 1:07 PM

R43, I'm genuinely not trying to be obtuse!

RE: "why would Harry have a problem with the Press? Did you really just ask that? His mother was chased into a tunnel and essentially murdered my Paparazzi!"

I suppose I was thinking of their hatred of the press/paparazzi in a more general sense and did forget this detail. However, I thought the driver was speeding and intoxicated intoxicated the crash and it turned out the paparazzi wasn't close to them because they sent out a decoy?

I guess, to me, getting angry about the press/paparazzi when you're in their position is ridiculous because... they're always going to be interested in them! At some point these temper-tantrums are just goading the press on. Is there truly no way for them to just ignore the press and get on with their lives?

by Anonymousreply 52January 23, 2020 1:10 PM

R48 it was reported that she had a chance to live, within the Golden Hour. The hospital was nearby but instead of a pap picking her up and driving her to a hospital, they stood around taking pictures. No paps can be seen in the shot trying to comfort her.

French laws were changed after that. Ambulances were not required to have the patient stabilized before transporting them. She may have had a chance to live had they got her to hospital immediately for an operation.

by Anonymousreply 53January 23, 2020 1:10 PM

The driver WAS intoxicated and everyone likes to forget that in her haste to establish herself as Harry's "intended" and stop him from doing what he so often did with steadies - run off and chase new toys - she threatened the British press with legal action a full year before the two were even engaged.

It was Meghan who opened the press war with the British press. It was yet another of her tactics that ended up blowing back in her face over the longer term, a habit she seems utterly unable to break. Did she think the UK press was going to forget about it?

She made quite a few mistakes early on and they went after her for it. They also went after Kate Middleton for glaringly spending her twenties waiting for William to propose, Fergie for being fat and coarse and dressing badly, Diana for being nothing more than an empty-headed clothes horse (it was after that, that Diana began to reshape her image as a humanitarian goddess) - does anyone really suppose that the British tabloids have been making money all these years by being "nice" to everyone??!!

It's who they are and what they do. They take careful handling. They have very deep pockets. Kate ignored the barbs, clung on, spent years going from the ingenue to the Perfect British Princess, and won the approval and affection of the Queen and Charles as she did so.

Meghan made one mistake after another and then accused the press of being unfair.

The list of mistakes she's made has been put up here dozens of times. Had Meghan avoided those mistakes, she wouldn't have handed so much ammo to the press on a solid gold platter.

And all that said, considering that just a few years ago she was a 35 year old c-list actress with only one real acting job to her credit, aging out of ingenue roles and likely facing professional oblivion - she's come out of this with a great deal more than she came in with.

by Anonymousreply 54January 23, 2020 1:18 PM

Maybe the Sussexes just saw the writing on the wall; ie, that Charles could turn his toes up any day, considering how ill he looks, and then they would be at the mercy of William Cambridge who clearly hates Meghan's guts. At least if they get out while the getting's good, they can nail down the terms of their inevitable departure.

Better to jump before you're pushed.

by Anonymousreply 55January 23, 2020 1:30 PM

Let's face it: the "work" this family "firm" does is utter bullshit. Not only that, something actually eaningful is off-limits. Stupid rules about every single thing you do. Can't ever relax.

I'd say they're planning to do something real and that would have threatened all the other royals who like their lives of nothingness.

by Anonymousreply 56January 23, 2020 1:36 PM

Don't make me laugh, R56. Meaningful? Like lecturing working people about flying off to Spain once a year to escape the miserable British winter, whilst they take 4 private jets in 11 days? Or going to one of the poorest countries on earth, with one of the highest rates of HIV/AIDS, and lamenting about how hard their lives are? Or turning up in £6000 worth of designer clobber at an event for women too poor to afford even second-hand clothes? Or lecturing people about compassion and kindness whilst utterly rejecting her poor, sick elderly father who worked his balls off to give her a top education?

by Anonymousreply 57January 23, 2020 1:50 PM

[quote] Check the Royal Calendar to see the engagements of members of the Royal Family. Edward and Sophie have a lot of engagements.

When were Edward & Sophie in Africa repping the BRF? When were they ever on the front page of the DM? He’s in the exact same position as Harry - brother of a guy who’s going to be king. But you never saw the paps following him or his wife around.

by Anonymousreply 58January 23, 2020 2:53 PM

[quote]He’s in the exact same position as Harry - brother of a guy who’s going to be king. But you never saw the paps following him or his wife around.

You need to read Hello, OK and the DM more often.

by Anonymousreply 59January 23, 2020 2:58 PM

Maybe Harry loves his family & doesn’t want to hurt them, but doesn’t see any reason for a royal family to exist. Maybe he’d rather make his own living instead of being hammered by protocol all the time. “You can’t wear this & your wife can’t wear that. You must walk this way, your wife must stand back there.”

Harry’s Diana’s kid & Diana hated the BRF. She was miserable when she was in it & was much happier when she was away from it. He saw that. He saw the change in her. She was free.

He wants to be free of all the nonsense. Free of Piers Morgan & other outrage hounds. Be his own man & not just the grandson of the queen.

by Anonymousreply 60January 23, 2020 3:06 PM

In any history book, Harry will always be a grandson of Queen Elizabeth II, unless he becomes something bigger than she is. Yet I don't think that's quite posdible though.

by Anonymousreply 61January 23, 2020 3:10 PM

[quote]Ultimately, they’re angry that no one likes her. He likely told her she’d be adored and feted when married him. It has nothing to do with her race, age or nationality. It has everything to do with her greedy, self-obsessed, selfish, show-boating, dishonesty personality. She’s completely unlikable.

Yes that's clear from when she did public appearances -- all the backs turned to her and booing. Meanwhile, back on planet earth, you're just projecting your bigotry onto "everyone."

by Anonymousreply 62January 23, 2020 3:17 PM

r57 Meghan and Harry really are a pair of utterly self righteous hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 63January 23, 2020 3:18 PM

r60 Well if that's the case he won't try to trade on or financially exploit his royal status and heritage than will he?Because if he doesn't believe a royal family should exist then it would be mighty hypocritical of him to do so.

by Anonymousreply 64January 23, 2020 3:21 PM

[quote] There is also something called an "empty narcissist," an individual who, no matter how much attention, validation, acclaim, etc they receive, they always feel "less than" and empty inside.

No shit, Sherlock

by Anonymousreply 65January 23, 2020 3:28 PM

What say you, cunts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 23, 2020 4:01 PM

[quote]There is also something called an "empty narcissist," an individual who, no matter how much attention, validation, acclaim, etc they receive, they always feel "less than" and empty inside.

Never heard of this.

by Anonymousreply 67January 23, 2020 4:06 PM

If seeing Meghan for what she is makes me a bigot, then I guess I am.

by Anonymousreply 68January 23, 2020 4:58 PM

"Maybe Harry loves his family & doesn’t want to hurt them, but doesn’t see any reason for a royal family to exist."

Sure - AFTER, of course, it gave him all the status and privileges without which Meghan Markle wouldn't have shared a taxi with him, let alone a bed.

AFTER he got the $30 million trust fund from his Mum's divorce to a future King; AFTER he ugot HRH Prince in front of his name; AFTER he got pushed through exams (e.g., for "Major" in the military); AFTER he got lots of pussy he wouldn't have gotten if he'd just had to get along on his actual own merits . . . like, a petrol pump jockey in Yorkshire . . .

Now that he's gotten all the bennies, he no longer sees a reason for the royal family to exist . . .

Except, of course, to pay off his debt to the taxpayers, keep him and Megs in the style they are now accustomed to till their merching empire (based on his connection to that no longer necessary royal name), and hoping for a nice second trust fund for himself and one for Archie from that totes unnecessary future King.

That ain't love: that's a What Have You Done For Me Lately brat.

by Anonymousreply 69January 23, 2020 6:27 PM

How many MM threads did you start today, OP?

by Anonymousreply 70January 23, 2020 6:45 PM

R53, I take your point about paps not showing concern for the wounded Diana, but my understanding is that she had a small rupture to the aorta which would have exploded if she'd been "picked up" and killed her instantly. (It was what got her in the end.)

Likewise, they couldn't know whether doing that would render her paraplegic. Nobody with half a brain would have tried to get her out of the car without medical training. Please do not try this on people you find in car crashes yourself, unless the car is likely to catch fire.

by Anonymousreply 71January 23, 2020 10:21 PM

R71 is right - no one except trained medical personnel should ever attempt to move someone so seriously injured, unless it's to get them out of the way of danger, like the car bursting into flame, or out of the way of oncoming traffic. I believe the ambulance took a long time not only to reach her, but she also had to be cut out of the car, and then did not reach the hospital quickly enough. Too much time elapsed between the accident and Diana getting onto an operating table and into the hands of skilled surgeons.

As for the paps taking pictures - there is no excuse, none at all.

by Anonymousreply 72January 23, 2020 11:17 PM

[bold]WE'VE OFFICIALLY REACHED HARRY AND MEGHAN ROYAL THREAD #500.

GIVE IT A FUCKING REST.

by Anonymousreply 73January 23, 2020 11:26 PM

You people calling her "fake" sound like asshole teenaged mean girls.

by Anonymousreply 74January 23, 2020 11:32 PM

For those arguing that Harry's had enough and wants to be on his own, I agree, but I also think he will miss his former life dearly and be back in the BRF within 2-5 years (sooner if she doesn't use Archie as emotional blackmail/extortion or more likely, finds a billionaire to run off with).

by Anonymousreply 75January 23, 2020 11:34 PM

#DLMeanQueens

by Anonymousreply 76January 23, 2020 11:34 PM

Maybe Harry never wanted this life.

by Anonymousreply 77January 23, 2020 11:37 PM

But he wanted the money.

by Anonymousreply 78January 23, 2020 11:53 PM

R77, he’s never said that. Harry wanted what he publicly proposed: he wanted to work-part time, and to monetize his title.

by Anonymousreply 79January 23, 2020 11:54 PM

Private Eye's Court Circular column said that apparently there was a lot of anger from Meghan and Harry over the angst coming from courtiers and advisers over the Sussex Royal brand, given how many of the other royals monetise their own position without any such problems - Charles with Duchy Originals, Andrew with Pitch at the Palace, etc.

It also said they took relatively minor things - no photograph of them on the table during the Queen's Christmas speech, that photo of Brenda with the three future kings - as major snubs and a sign there was no future role for them. Whereas the opposite was true, with Harry set to play a major role in Charles's planned slimming down of the royals, but now that's fucked up.

Little detail I found interesting - may already be out there, I don't follow royals much aside from what's in the Eye - the rooms where the big crunch meeting were held were swept for bugs immediately before, and servants were banned from coming anywhere near. Meghan wasn't allowed to participate as with her being in Canada at the time there was no way to check she was alone/wasn't recording.

The general sense from the column is Harry has scored an own goal, as he would've been able to get the changes he want once Brenda died and Brian took over. Now he's going to be fucked, as it seems unlikely Wills is going to continue to fund his brother once he takes over the Duchy. And on top of all this, H&M's relationship with the press is at an all time low - whereas before the courtiers could dangle losing access to the other royals over editor's heads, now there's nothing to restrain them.

by Anonymousreply 80January 23, 2020 11:57 PM

All profit from Duchy Originals is given to charity. So the Sussex position is not comparable.

by Anonymousreply 81January 24, 2020 12:05 AM

I don't understand why people talk about Harry as if he is a private person.

He is wealthy BECAUSE OF his royalty--and for no other reason. The reason that you don't see the number of wealthy aristocrats in the UK that you used to--during the bad years--is that there is a punitive inheritance tax (as well as others) meant to make the country more egalitarian and less "lords and peasants." The royal family is exempt from these taxes--and always has been. Were he not royal, he would not be rich period. Therefore, he owes the country something--as do all royals. He owes the country his time and his talents.

No one in the UK gets the fringe benefits that the royals do.

by Anonymousreply 82January 24, 2020 12:22 AM

r69 Brilliant demolishment of the pro Harry post you were responding too! You have a gift for intelligent sarcasm! Showed it up for the half baked emotive nonsense that it was.

by Anonymousreply 83January 24, 2020 1:05 AM

And America still has Donald Trump. And will most likely have him for another four years. One would think you'd be far more concerned about your own future with that mental midget.

by Anonymousreply 84January 24, 2020 5:44 AM

The Megstans on reddit are completely losing their shit over this because it made it to reddit's Front Page (means one of the most upvoted on the whole site for those not familiar)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 24, 2020 7:10 AM

sMEG is a psychobitch and she's certainly out to shit on the Duchess of Cambridge's parade. On Kate's birthday, here exploded the bloody sMEGxit bombshell. Then during Kate's 24-hour whirlwind tour, the psychobitch just had to released her lame photos of the visit to a dog shelter. Yes, sMEG = crazy and shameless in every sense of the word.

by Anonymousreply 86January 24, 2020 7:54 AM

Who the hell are "Brenda" & "Brian"?

by Anonymousreply 87January 24, 2020 8:09 AM

[quote]Unlike Meghan, Camilla isn't independently wealthy to the tune of 4.5m so she shouldn't be wearing 54k dresses.

Camilla Parker Bowles has an estimated net worth of $5 million, according to Celebrity Net Worth. That makes her the 1% of the richest people in the world.

by Anonymousreply 88January 24, 2020 8:36 AM

He's stuck being a public figure no matter what he does. It's not something I would want and surely it's a burden, but he's had a lifetime to come to terms with it, and he also doesn't lack the resources to find some quieter path for himself and his immediate family. But all the fucking statements "it is with great sadness" and hand wringing and boo-hooing... Go off and live in Vancouver or the middle of Saskatchewan or Djibouti or St. Louis or Bangkok and live with reasonable calm and quiet if they like. They will never be entirely free from the curiosity of the media and the public, no matter where they go, yet they could escape the constant gaze. They don't have to renounce anything or issue proclamations to do this or cry crocodile even more tears or appeal directly to their fanbase; they can just go some place quiet and say they want to raise their kid in calm. Done. No, instead they issue directives to the cruel UK tabloid press (always has been, always will be) and stage high profile emergency crisis control meetings at the palace HQ and negotiate in a very public way for the freedom they already have - and the freedom they don't really want. They don't want to disappear to the wheat fields of Canada, or even Vancouver, or some some island paradise in Asia, or a hunting lodge in the Highands. No, they want to be surrounded by prosperity and luxury, by English speakers who know who they are and defer to the accordingly, and by a press that follows their rules. They don't want to be left alone in the least, they just want to be pampered on their own terms.

by Anonymousreply 89January 24, 2020 12:10 PM

R80 - I always thought "Brian" was Philip in the EYE . . . but the EYE's best moment was the title of the opera about the BRF: "Corgi and Beth".

Be that as it may, as poster upthread pointed out, the sales of Duchy products do not flow personally to Charles and they do benefit the Duchy residents by encouraging cottage businesses. It is Andrew, Fergie, and (long abandoned) attempts in the very early years by Edward and Sophie to monetise their connections that were so distasteful. Peter Phillips and Zara Tindall and Lady Kitty Spencer aren't royals at all, they are private citizens and no taxpayers are affected one way or the other by their lives. They are no different than Mark Strong and Tom Hiddleston doing commercials for Jaguar - although the latter are by all odds more entertaining and more expertly, er, played. Exactly what are those nonroyal relatives to do - pretend they don't have to earn money? They aren't taking anything from the taxpayers here as they do so - but the Yorks, Wessexes, and Sussexes were.

Jan Moir in the DM has a decent column up on this today, and points out that royalty and commerce usually end in a fatal collision, not a happy merger.

The Sussexes have already been hit with an "objection" to their plans to merch the SussexRoyal brand by a doctor in Australia. I'm not sure of the grounds.

But to return to the EYE, they are probably right - Harry, in his hasty immaturity and absurd faith in Meghan's leadership,has probably cut off his nose to spite his face.

Ditto also to his absurd reaction to the photos on the Queen's desk. The presentation of the Sovereign with the direct heirs is an old tradition and you can find a photo of the Queen, Charles, and William as a little boy in a similar photo. It would have had nothing to do with "editing" the Harkles out and Harry should have known that.

And lastly, if the Queen's declaration in her public statement that the Harkles' exit had been under discussion "for many months", and she had felt their behaviour to be petulant and immature, why the fuck WOULD she have been inclined to include a couple about to leave the family, stop their work on behalf of the nation and the monarchy, and bring another round of highly public headaches down upon them all?!

The story is already waning. Harry, once the excitement has died down and the complexities of business planning and management settles on his rather weak head, will, I believe, be thinking wistfully of work that is boring for an hour or so but arranged by staff, filled with obsequious flattery, bows, and curtsies, and allowed him to pop off home in a chauffered limo.

"He who will not when he may/When he will, he shall have nay."

by Anonymousreply 90January 24, 2020 12:39 PM

R85 - That is priceless, and in my view takes the biscuit from the recent, "Meghan Markle: the only woman alive who managed to turn a Prince into a Frog."

by Anonymousreply 91January 24, 2020 12:40 PM

R87 - "Brenda" and "Brian" were the code names for the Queen and Philip in the merciless British satirical magazine, "Private EYE".

by Anonymousreply 92January 24, 2020 12:42 PM

I stand corrected - my memory was off: "Brian" is indeed the EYE's name for Charles.

R90

by Anonymousreply 93January 24, 2020 12:45 PM

For the unitiated:

"Queen Elizabeth II is often referred to as "Brenda", and the Prince of Wales as "Brian". This is a result of the 1969 BBC documentary Royal Family, after which the magazine gave each member of the Royal Family working class nicknames, as though they were characters in a soap opera. The Duke of Edinburgh is "Keith", Princess Margaret was "Yvonne" and Diana, Princess of Wales was dubbed "Cheryl"."

by Anonymousreply 94January 24, 2020 12:46 PM

He's hinted at it, R79, including mentioning that he was thinking of leaving the royalty after he got out of the Navy, and alluded to not wanting this life in that interview he gave about his mental health issues and how taxing royal engagements were for him, and how hard the "never complain, never explain" mantra of the royals had been hard on him given the press he'd recieved.

by Anonymousreply 95January 24, 2020 12:52 PM

R70 Nice try, but zero.

by Anonymousreply 96January 24, 2020 1:15 PM

Personally, I think Harry and Meghan should have dated/been engaged longer in order for her to become more accustomed to the type of press that she was going to face as Harry’s partner. But that is not the way it worked out.

I think all of the negativity thrown towards Meghan is race based, no matter how much people say it’s not. It reminds me of the type of reaction that President Obama got from some white people, especially in social media and on message boards. There was just nothing that he was going to do that was going to be right. Everything was an affront to longstanding tradition and history. There were think pieces written about Michelle Obama wearing sleeveless dresses and let’s not get started on his beige suit.

Meghan was a low C level actress on a basic cable TV show, but all of a sudden all of these dramatic stories started to come out about her and her past. Everyone all of a sudden knew this woman and had some interaction with her, which is totally bullshit, but the media ate it up and published a bunch of shit stories. And they continued to publish stories about her. They continued to seek out her white trash family and pay them for stories and blasted those stories all over the media. They targeted the woman. She wasn’t dressing properly. Her stockings were wrong. She didn’t cross her legs properly. She was tearing the royal family apart. Just a bunch of bullshit.

And I think they pushed negative stories on Meghan to take attention away from less flattering stories about other royal family members. Then the whole made up bullshit rivalry between Meghan and Kate. Before Meghan even came into the picture the press was trashing Kate as lazy, then all of a sudden she became the perfect model royal while Meghan was this she-beast out to destroy everything.

Harry is what 6th or 7th in line now. It no longer matters whether he’s in or out. He made a decision based on the well being of his family and they’re still being trashed. I’m not saying that Harry and Meghan are perfect. But Meghan’s only real crime is being beige. For some reason some white people just can’t stand it when black people, or half black people step out of their perceived lane.

by Anonymousreply 97January 24, 2020 1:15 PM

Brenda, Brian, Keith, Yvonne and Cheryl!!! Oh, pleb names!!!

by Anonymousreply 98January 24, 2020 1:19 PM

R97 - yet again, the assumption that ALL negativity toward Meghan was race based. It was not, not by a long shot. That deliberately evades the point that others have made about the many mistakes she made, from threatening the press if it wasn't nice to her to failing to support the British fashion industry by constantly wearing hugely expensive foreign luxury design house stuff.

Meghan Markle wasn't a saint by virtue of being mixed race. She took lots of cheap shots, like using the Queen's granddaughter's televised wedding to broadcast her pregnancy before it was officially announced, behaved badly on more than one occasion, including on foreign tours, abused staff, argued with the Queen about which tiara she wanted, and eventually made it clear that she wanted the perks without the constraints.

And, yes, she was criticised for those things. Or is it your contention that the press should have made some sort of agreement not to mention any of it because she was mixed race?

Were you there for the stuff thrown at Fergie? "The Duchess of Pork" "Freebie Fergie" "Her Royal Thighness" "Frock Horror!"? Fergie was eventually brought down by negative PR, too. Do you also think the press should have refrained from printing the photos of a separated Duchess of York topless and having her toes sucked by her lover outdoors poolside?

Meghan made lots of own goals, as did Harry. None of those had to do with race, just character.

by Anonymousreply 99January 24, 2020 2:12 PM

The Rs 4 and 8 have overwhelmingly received the most W/W votes on this thread. Ergo, I conclude they're on to something.

by Anonymousreply 100January 24, 2020 2:12 PM

Edward and Sophie - particularly Sophie - along with Princess Anne, are and have been for some time, the workhorses of the BRF. Check "Future Royal Engagements" for their schedules of events.

Sophie turned out to be quite good at it, enjoys the work, if not privileged on anything like the scale of the Cambridges and (erstwhile) Sussexes certainly far more privileged that she could have imagined at one time, and has raised two seemingly quite nice kids in relative privacy and comfort. She is alleged to be much appreciated and liked by the Queen.

Following the Wessexes and Anne come the Gloucesters and Kents, but in five year or so they will have aged out of these spots, and none of their children will replace them, they have all opted out of the Royal System and are private citizens with aristocratic, but not royal titles.

That leaves the York princesses to fill the gap until the Cambridge children are older. Charles may not like the idea, but I wouldn't be shocked if, eventually, it becomes clear that leaving the door open for the Sussexes to slide back in is pointless, Harry were bribed to give up his and his descendant's place in the line of succession and the HRH he has been precluded from using, and Eugenie and/or Bea are brought gently forward - especially if Prince Andrew is enough of a father to give up his place in the line, as well.

by Anonymousreply 101January 24, 2020 2:24 PM

According to The Evening Standard, "The couple (Ginger Megs) first applied to the Intellectual Property Office in June 2019 for the trademark, leading to a mandatory “opposition period” for members of the public to raise objections."

They've been planning their merching empire for some time, making a nonsense of their myriad accusations against the BRF and Britons, as well as Megs "it's not working for me" claim. It was never going to work for her, because all along, she had other ideas that did not include the BRF or Britain.

by Anonymousreply 102January 24, 2020 2:32 PM

[quote]Unlike Meghan, Camilla isn't independently wealthy to the tune of 4.5m so she shouldn't be wearing 54k dresses.

First off, Meghan is not worth $4.5 mil. On what planet. We've dispelled that here many times.

Secondly, Camilla is not poor, even before she married Charles. Her mother, Rosemary Shand, was an heiress from the Keppel family and had a load of family $. Her father, Bruce, was more upper middle class but made bank as a wine merchant during his post-military life.

Third, Camilla can wear what she well wants. Equestrian-themed or not.

by Anonymousreply 103January 24, 2020 6:23 PM

Camilla is married to the Prince of Wales, and like his first wife and the wives of most future and sitting monarchs, she can wear what she bloody well pleases, because her husband is buying them.

In fact, Camilla's husband buys Kate's and Meghan's clothes, as well. You didn't think for a moment that those women bought their own clothes, or bought them with their husband's pitiful 300,000 a year before taxes, did you?!

And Meghan's oft-reported $5 million has always sounded shady. She had one decent job for seven years, rented a house, paid an agent, paid probably both Canadian and US taxes, bought clothes, etc. No one has ever verified either her $5 million or that mythical second trust fund that the Queen Mum allegedly left the Wales boys - of which there is not the slightest record, it was always "reportedly" despite the fact that the old lady was always in the red and her daughter had to bail her out and her wealth was all in jewels, furniture, art, and other not easy to liquidate assets (all of which were left to the Queen with a few personal bequests).

Meghan wore a $70,000 Ralph & Russo gown for her formal engagement photos (there's a hilarious use of one of the photos from the, naturally, black and white set of photos for a Burberry ad). All the Palace would say when the public reacted with sticker shock, is that it was "privately purchased".

Translation: Meghan wanted it, either Charles or Harry bought it for her.

Charles gives each son that two million a year supplement and there is allegedly a "dress fund" for their wives.

These women are married to men with access to their father's huge resources. They wear clothes that have nothing to do with either their own or even the two junior Wales' "money".

Camilla is the next Queen Consort of Great Britain. She ain't buyin' her own rags.

by Anonymousreply 104January 24, 2020 8:17 PM

Oh - Kate, in contrast, despite marrying the second, not the sixth in line and a future Queen Consort herself, wore a tasteful suit for her formal engagement photographs, costing about £600.

The handwriting on the Meghan Markle wall was evident early on.

by Anonymousreply 105January 24, 2020 8:20 PM

r104 is right.

And, on that note, one of the dangers of Harry and Meghan's heist was always going to be increased scrutiny of the BRF finances, and now that's officially started.

From page 1 of today's Sun:

NORMAN BAKER Meghan Markle & Harry’s ‘£2m pocket money’ is the tip of the iceberg – it’s time taxpayers looked into Charles’ Duchy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106January 24, 2020 8:22 PM

R106 - I've always thought it was time to end the medieval birthright of the Duchy of Cornwall for the eldest male heir of the Sovereign. There may have been a good reason for trying to head off corruption by the heir in the 14th century. However, given that the heir and his heir and then his heir, and so forth, are now the scions of a huge modern fortune built on those advantages, it's time to re-examine the tradition. The Duchy's tax-free status, at a minimum, should be done away with.

And I was curious, reading Baker's piece, about the reference to Camilla's jewellery as one of Charles' arguments for keeping the Duchy's status . . . ?? Camilla, so far as I can tell, wears jewellery that belong to the Queen. She may have some of her own, but those huge diamond swag necklaces, and the tiaras, belong to the Queen. What is Charles talking about where Camilla's jewellery is concerned?!

But regardless. it is true that Harry's and Meghan's crash-out after less than two years of marriage (one year, if the reports are correct that they were discussing leaving already by their first anniversary in May 2019), because it raises the issue of Charles' money and his use of it to support, now, a son who has left off working for the nation and the monarchy.

If that support comes out of the Duchy revenues, then two steps back it is, still, publicly generated resources that unfairly flow to Charles as a birthright.

The guy who writes "royal foibles" claims to have aristo friends in the social circle Harry moves in. The friend claims that when the Queen uses the phrase "deeply hurt", it is a code for "enraged".

Perhaps HM needs to become a tad more enraged at the damage the Sussexes have wrought, and make them pay for it by, finally, really having to fend for themselves without the titles of Duke and Duchess of Sussex, without the style of HRH, and without Charles' money.

by Anonymousreply 107January 24, 2020 9:56 PM

If Kate's delicate feelings are so easily hurt, maybe she should find herself a real job and a new husband. Poor little Kate will not tolerate a new woman in the house and subsequent loss of attention.

by Anonymousreply 108January 24, 2020 11:20 PM

I don't see why TQ would be "deeply hurt" or "enraged" by the departure of the Sussexes. They did nothing but bring negative attention to the BRF which in turn caused the British public to question the value of the monarchy. You'd think they'd be glad they're gone.

by Anonymousreply 109January 25, 2020 1:30 AM

What are we UPSET about?!?

NO ONE EVER ASKED ME IF I WAS OKAY!!!!

by Anonymousreply 110January 25, 2020 1:33 AM

It's All So ..... So ..... Fascinating !

by Anonymousreply 111January 25, 2020 1:37 AM

[quote] He's hinted at it, [R79], including mentioning that he was thinking of leaving the royalty after he got out of the Navy,

Harry has never been in the Navy. He was in the Royal Army.

by Anonymousreply 112January 25, 2020 1:38 AM

DL is even more relentless than the British media.

And DLers don't discriminate. The hate, loathe, and harrass everyone equally.

by Anonymousreply 113January 25, 2020 1:42 AM

Same thing I am mad about, racism.

by Anonymousreply 114January 25, 2020 1:45 AM

Meghan is hugely popular and the other senior royals can't deal. In just a few months, she has 11m followers on her Instagram, the same as Kate Middleton, whose Instagram has been up for years.

by Anonymousreply 115January 25, 2020 1:45 AM

Well, r114 this British mixed race woman says that Britain is NOT racist, and that Meghan was welcomed very favourably by Britain. She says that Britain is incredibly open and welcoming, which is my experience of it too (I am one quarter Indian and lived in Britain for nine years). So find something else to be "mad about" because race has nothing to do with how Britain feels about Meghan. Her (and Harry's) behaviour has everything to do with what has unfolded and how Britain has reacted to them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116January 25, 2020 1:56 AM

R115, I think the point of being “royal” is that it doesn’t matter how many Instagram followers you have.

by Anonymousreply 117January 25, 2020 2:12 AM

r115, it's pretty hilarious you think even the other "senior royals" (William, Kate, Charles, Camilla, and the Queen) would give a rat's ass about Instagram followers. I would think it unlikely that any of them besides William and Kate even know what Instagram [italic]is.[/italic] And William is going to be king some day, and Kate will be queen: they simply don't give a shit about Meghan's popularity worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 118January 25, 2020 3:29 AM

Harry’s the type that wants a big dramatic first wife. The next one will probably be quieter.

by Anonymousreply 119January 25, 2020 5:24 AM

The only monarch I feel sorry for is Empress Masako in Japan! I hope Meghan realizes she will never be the most tragic woman who married into royalty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120January 25, 2020 5:30 AM

It must be pretty depressing to know that everyone is looking at your chosen spouse and seeing a 'Sell By' sticker on her. Or even referring to her as your 'starter wife.'

by Anonymousreply 121January 25, 2020 5:30 AM

[QUOTE] Brilliant demolishment of the pro Harry post you were responding too!

Shame you are illiterate. It's 'demolition'.

by Anonymousreply 122January 25, 2020 5:46 AM

Not as depressing as he will find watching her disappear off with the some billionaire, r 121

by Anonymousreply 123January 25, 2020 5:51 AM

[quote]Brilliant demolishment of the pro Harry post you were responding too!

[quote]Shame you are illiterate. It's 'demolition'.

Shame BOTH of you are illiterate.

Brilliant DEMOLITION of the [bold]pro-Harry[/bold] post you were responding TO!

by Anonymousreply 124January 25, 2020 6:18 AM

#Mindless#Pointless#Petty#Bitchery

Four More Years, America ...... You should be far more concerned about whose living in America's White House, not in England's Royal Castle, or the nearby cottages.

by Anonymousreply 125January 25, 2020 4:29 PM

So they're still trying to use the status of the Royal family to ensure only they get to make money off their image

[QUOTE]A spokeswoman for Hagan Homes confirmed to BBC News NI that the firm received an email from the couple's representatives, requesting the adverts be taken down. She said the email referred to rules from the Committees of Advertising Practice (CAP). The rules makes specific mention of the Royal Family, saying its members "should not normally be shown or mentioned in a marketing communication without their prior permission".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126January 25, 2020 4:33 PM

Will Harry spill all during his "mental health" series with Oprah?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127January 25, 2020 4:35 PM

Spell check, r124, is much like DL posters.

It assumes that their robotic mind readers know exactly the "write" and love to take over your conversation.

by Anonymousreply 128January 25, 2020 5:53 PM

R115 Oh, dear. As Aesop said thousands of years ago, notoriety is often mistaken for fame.

by Anonymousreply 129January 25, 2020 6:34 PM

The DM absolutely will not let this story go. Now they have up a transparently made up out of whole cloth story about how Doria is the "steely force" behind Megxit.

"The woman who instilled in her daughter from a young age the motto 'don't give the milk away for free' - or don't do anything for nothing - has become close to Prince Harry. 'Harry in particular turns to her for advice,' said a former confidante of 63-year-old Doria (main image in LA this month). The source said: 'When Meghan and Harry announced they were walking away from their jobs as Royals to be financially independent, it immediately smacked of Doria. Being financially independent has always been important to her.' Doria (left with Meghan on the eve of her wedding and left inset receiving her master’s) is currently in Los Angeles where she was photographed on Friday outside her home. Stoic and silent, just as she - and her daughter and son-in-law - like it. Bottom right: Prince Harry arriving at Victoria International Airport on Monday evening."

Right - because working on behalf of the British monarchy was doing something for nothing: the $3 million five-bedroom house at Windsor, the status, the wealth, the million dollar wardrobe, the million dollars in jewellery, the $200,000 engagement ring, the servants, the luxe travel, the A-listers inviting you to their vac. getaways in Ibiza . . .

It's as if the tabloids are frantic to not let go of their click-bait meal ticket. They're dreaming it up one day after another . . .

They've killed the goose that lays the golden egg for them, is what it is . . .

by Anonymousreply 130January 25, 2020 11:43 PM

[QUOTE]The DM absolutely will not let this story go

And this surprises you?

Your comment reminds me of the people who, for some reason, saw this as some kind of victory for Harry and Meghan. I kept seeing comments like "they've escaped the British tabloids" as if them moving to Canada means the British press are just going to stop covering them. If there's anyone who thinks the British press were upset by this turn of events, they are naive beyond belief. This is the best possible scenario for the tabloids - now they can be as vicious as they want without having the worry about nagging complaints from the Palace.

by Anonymousreply 131January 26, 2020 12:32 AM

Bottom line is Meghan sees herself as a Diana, or at least a Kate, when in reality she's merely a Sophie.

by Anonymousreply 132January 26, 2020 12:36 AM

Who is sophie?

by Anonymousreply 133January 26, 2020 12:42 AM

[quote] Now karma has created an aging country of pasty inbreds being inundated by a robust population of dark-skinned people.

You've never been to Britain, have you? Lots of ethnic Brits who are vibrant and movers and shakers.

North African countries participated in white slavery. Should whites move in and take over, to right historical wrongs?

by Anonymousreply 134January 26, 2020 1:08 AM

[quote]Who is sophie?

Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 135January 26, 2020 1:17 AM

Ok, but why would she expect to be treated as the new Diana, or Kate... she married the 6th in line to the throne. Is she stupid? Had she never heard the name "Fergie"?

by Anonymousreply 136January 26, 2020 1:51 AM

Stoic.... is that like "keeping a stiff upper lip"?

by Anonymousreply 137January 26, 2020 2:00 AM

If only Meghan were a Sophie - hard-working because she cares and not for the same - r132.

Americans don't need to know who Sophie is, but if you learnt you might discover something about the real point of the royal family, which is nothing like what Meghan's fans think it is.

by Anonymousreply 138January 26, 2020 9:26 AM

Well, one reason the DM and other tabs aren't letting it go is that Meghan is still providing them with ammo.

She released something else on IG just as Charles announced his new Green initiative on social media - he is alleged to be furious. He allegedly also offered the couple the freedom to marry and not use their titles and live privately (oh, I can just imagine Meghan's reaction to THAT!). The DM actually ponders whether Meghan is deliberately "riling the relatives", and in another piece states that Meghan began planning this trademark step as soon as she was past the first trimester with Archie - in other words, just six months after marrying Harry, and after making sure she would within a year have a child with (she probably assumed) a royal title as well as ensuring her a decent settlement when she left.

Charles and the Queen are still being made fools of by Meghan. They should wait quietly for three months and then, without further consultation with Harry, publish a statement stating that after a few months of reflection, it has become clear to all parties that the lines between the royal family and Meghan's and Harry's clear determination to set their own course completely are still blurred, HM has issued Letters Patent removing the Sussex title and HRH style thereof, and recognising them only as Prince and Princess Henry or, should the couple choose, Mr and Mrs Henry Mountbatten-Windsor. In addition, HM and the Prince of Wales have, in the interests of being fair to the taxpayers who funded the renovation of Frogmore Cottage, shared equally the cost of that renovation and put the funds back into the Crown Estates, which funds the Sovereign Grant. Lastly, HM wishes it to be known that at such time as Harry and Meghan wish to visit Britain, they are welcome, as many other members of the royal family do, to stay in a suite of rooms in Buckingham Palace or St. James Palace that HM will make available to them."

They were complete duffers not to do this first. As usual, the senior Windsors kicked the can down the road to avoid seeming punitive, Meghan is sticking it to them anyway, so they'll either have to swallow her vicious bullying or act more punitively later on, and either way they'll look worse than they would have done if they'd done this first.

I suppose it was still too soon to hope for Fading Story Syndrome, and at the rate the Sussexes are keeping themselves in the headlines, especially if by doing so they can stick it to the Windsors, no end is in sight.

by Anonymousreply 139January 26, 2020 12:40 PM

This is funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140January 26, 2020 1:13 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141January 27, 2020 3:32 PM

Sophie has looked pretty good lately

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142February 1, 2020 11:45 PM

meghan is showing her balls and power over harry, he will divorce her when he tires of her demands....yay

unless he digs LA and her star ways....

by Anonymousreply 143February 1, 2020 11:48 PM

She better keep an eye on him, women will be throwing themselves at him. As I suppose they always have.

by Anonymousreply 144February 1, 2020 11:56 PM

you know he wants some fresh tight poon....and he will get it....if he aint already....HE A KOOL GUY, TOO KOOL FOR HER BOSSY ASS. SHE MARRIED INTO THE RICHEST FAMILY IN THE WORLD AND WANTS TO CALL THE SHOTS.....QUEENIE AND WILLIAM WILL SHOW HER WHO IS BOS.S...

by Anonymousreply 145February 2, 2020 12:03 AM

how does Edward get cock????

by Anonymousreply 146February 2, 2020 12:04 AM

I think him kinda cute, and must be fun///////he a royal !!!!

by Anonymousreply 147February 2, 2020 12:10 AM

R145 - They aren't the richest family in the world by a long shot, but they are probably the most socially prestigious, or at least amongst the top three.

How did Prince Edward get into this discussion?

by Anonymousreply 148February 3, 2020 7:29 PM

Ten Wealthiest Families in the World, in order of richest first:

The Waltons

The Mars Family (the Walton's of the candy market)

Koch Brothers/Industries

Saudi Royal Family (Meghan, take note!)

Wertheimer Family - Chanel

Dumas Family - Hermes

Van Damme, De Spoelberch and De Mevius Families - Anheuser-Busch

Boehringer, Von Baumbach Families - Boehringer Ingelheim (Pharmaceuticals)

Mukesh and Anil Ambani - Reliance Industries (petrochemicals, refining, oil and gas - India)

Cargill, MacMillan Families - Cargill - commodities agri-giant

The Windsors are pikers next to these people. The Queen's assets, most of which are in real estate, art, jewels, homes, horses, etc., reach barely a billion. Charles's personal worth, on paper, is perhaps $200-$300 million, depending on who is answering the question, again.

William and Harry are only worth $40 million each, and that's on paper in one trust fund whose principal they never touch, only the income, which amounts to what a highly successful solicitor or private health specialist would make - before taxes.

They look wealthier because they live wealthier, but without having had to pay for it - e.g., the Cambridges live in a historic palace in central London; so, of course, does the Queen; Clarence House is also part of the Crown Estates; so is Windsor Castle.

They live in those places but didn't have to buy them. The Queen owns Balmoral and Sandringham personally, but she didn't buy them, her grandparents and great-grandparents did. Most of her jewels are heirlooms and were either inherited or gifts from other nations; she has, of course, bought some new stuff and altered some old stuff, but most of it she didn't have to buy. She has probably spent more of her own money on the impressive art collection and her stables.

So they live like royalty, they look like royalty, they were the jewels of royalty . . . but in almost all respects, they haven't had to buy that: it was already there. Maintain and renovate, yes; Buy, no.

by Anonymousreply 149February 3, 2020 9:04 PM

Sussex royal was called out publicly by a tech nerd for buying huge amounts of followers on Instagram. They went from getting a few hundred followers a day to over 20,000 a day for a period. This has happened with them more than once, most recently right before their big announcement. Most people over the age of twelve aren't so desperately insecure and hilariously thin skinned as the deeply unpopular Markle. She'll end up on reality TV at best. Its mind boggling that some are too dense to see her for what she is because "racism" is the excuse. Gurl spent her entire adult life identifying as white ffs.

by Anonymousreply 150February 4, 2020 3:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!