Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Grocery chains closing

Lucky's Market shuts down all but a handful of its stores.

And Fineway in NY is also closing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2020 4:20 PM

Fairway.

by Anonymousreply 1January 22, 2020 7:14 PM

Fairway denied it in a tweet, for whatever that’s worth...

by Anonymousreply 2January 22, 2020 7:18 PM

And Krystal ... I'm bereft!

by Anonymousreply 3January 22, 2020 7:45 PM

Fairway is a perfect example of what happens when venture capital takes over a business and has no idea how to run it. It used to be a good store but it's gone steadily downhill since then, while prices have gone up quite a bit, especially with produce.

by Anonymousreply 4January 22, 2020 7:51 PM

Lucky’s closed in our college town location last spring after three years but they faced competition from our well established local cooperative.

by Anonymousreply 5January 22, 2020 8:01 PM

Well, that's a very positive story, R5.

by Anonymousreply 6January 22, 2020 8:07 PM

Oops, sorry, Fairway. My bad.

by Anonymousreply 7January 22, 2020 10:02 PM

Lucky's was great but there are so many stores trying to be them and Whole Foods is killing the competition in most places.

Fresh Thyme is another store that is semi-quasi organic and about the same size, and I honestly don't know how they stay open, either.

It sucks that Kroger yanked Lucky's funding. Kroger has some of the shittiest markets around.

by Anonymousreply 8January 22, 2020 10:04 PM

Oakland Park store in Ft. Lauderdale is/was a dump! Produce was in really bad shape; plus a lot of it was WAY past a sell date. Also, the cashiers had no idea what some things were. Obviously, poorly trained.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2020 4:09 AM

Lucky (Fulton St) in SF seems fine, maybe closings are regional.

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2020 7:46 AM

Our Luckys is great ...their housemade bacon is outstanding

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2020 9:39 AM

Didn’t Lucky become Albertsons and then went back to being Lucky?

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2020 10:31 AM

I’m a New Yorker who discovered Lucky’s when we were in Wyoming. Man, I’d find an excuse to go there. Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2020 10:38 AM

My HR buddy tells me there’s a flood of resumes coming from grocery store managers, esp. Kroger.

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2020 10:53 AM

R10 they have 40 stores and are closing all but 7 of them.

If you're saying SF is San Francisco, then your store isn't the same as this chain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2020 4:05 PM

[quote]Fresh Thyme is another store that is semi-quasi organic and about the same size, and I honestly don't know how they stay open, either.

The Fresh Thyme nearest me in the Mpls suburbs is packed all day. A surprising number of shoppers are elderly. I think they like the small size, as many other stores these days are immense.

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2020 4:13 PM

My town of 48,252 has both a Whole Foods and The Fresh Thyme and they are both equally busy. I would prefer to shop The Fresh Thyme because their aisles are wider and the store is larger but not as cluttered as WF.

by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2020 4:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!