Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tulsi Gabbard Files $50M Lawsuit Against Hillary Clinton for ‘Russian Asset’ Claim

Tulsi Gabbard is suing Hillary Clinton for more than $50 million in damages following Clinton’s suggestion on a podcast that she was Russia’s favored candidate to win the Democratic nomination for president in 2020.

The defamation lawsuit, which was made public Wednesday morning, claims the 2016 Democratic nominee permanently damaged the Hawaii congresswoman’s reputation by describing her as a “Russian asset.”

Clinton made the controversial remarks on the podcast Campaign HQ With David Plouffe back in October, when she said: “I’m not making any predictions, but I think they’ve got their eye on someone who’s currently in the Democratic primary and are grooming her to be the third-party candidate. She’s the favorite of the Russians.”

In the key remarks to the lawsuit, Clinton added: “That’s assuming Jill Stein will give it up, which she might not because she’s also a Russian asset. Yeah, she’s a Russian asset—I mean, totally.” It’s not clear from the quotes whether Clinton was referring to Gabbard, Stein, or both.

Although Clinton didn’t explicitly mention Gabbard during the remarks quoted in the lawsuit, Clinton spokesman Nick Merrill clarified at the time, when asked if she was referencing Gabbard in the part about Russia favoring one of the existing candidates: “If the nesting doll fits.”

However, Merrill subsequently tweeted that Clinton’s comments were being misreported and said she was referring to the Republican Party grooming Gabbard to be a third-party candidate—not the Russians.

Reached for comment on Wednesday morning about the lawsuit, Merrill was succinct: “That’s ridiculous.”

The suit claims Clinton’s statements caused Gabbard to “lose potential donors and potential voters,” and estimated that the personal and professional damages to her exceed $50 million. It also claimed Gabbard is entitled to “special and punitive damages... in view of Clinton’s malicious and unrepentant conduct” on top of the actual damages.

The suit claims that Clinton has sought revenge on Gabbard ever since she endorsed Sen. Bernie Sanders in the 2016 Democratic primary. “Clinton—a cutthroat politician by any account—has never forgotten this perceived slight. And in October 2019, she sought retribution by lying, publicly and loudly, about Tulsi Gabbard,” the lawsuit states.

Gabbard’s lawyers say Clinton’s comments “spread like wildfire across the internet” and that millions of Americans accepted the statements as fact because they came from a “well-known authority figure.”

Gabbard has had a controversial tenure in Congress, particularly for her defense of Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad, who she met with in Damascus in 2017 after the battle of Aleppo and has been accused of war crimes and gassing his own people.

The suit goes on to say: “In short, Clinton got exactly what she wanted by lying about Tulsi—she harmed her political and personal rival’s reputation and ongoing presidential campaign, and started a damaging whisper campaign based on baseless, but vicious, untruths.”

Read more at The Daily Beast.

Get our top stories in your inbox every day. Sign up now!

Daily Beast Membership: Beast Inside goes deeper on the stories that matter to you. Learn more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 24, 2020 9:18 PM

Fucking Russian operative CUNT!

Bought and paid for by Putin.

by Anonymousreply 1January 22, 2020 6:04 PM

Hillary should counter-sue.

Run this fucking Republican shill out of town ... FOREVER.

Gabbard can go back to motherfucking russia.

by Anonymousreply 2January 22, 2020 6:05 PM

Truth is an absolute defense against defamation, so Hillary should be fine.

by Anonymousreply 3January 22, 2020 6:05 PM

She's just filing now to try to capitalize on Hillary being in the news over the Bernie comments.

Also Hillary never said she was a Russian asset - she was misquoted by the paper, which published a correction. Tulsi knows this.

I'm surprised she hasn't joined Fox News yet. She's clearly auditioning.

by Anonymousreply 4January 22, 2020 6:07 PM

[quote] Gabbard can go back to motherfucking russia.

And she can take DUMP, Miss Graham, and Turtle McConnell with her!

by Anonymousreply 5January 22, 2020 6:08 PM

Hillary didn’t name the “Russian asset” by name, and only referred to the person as “she”. Ms. Gabbard needs to fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 6January 22, 2020 6:08 PM

Gabbard is broke because of the campaign, and Putin won't give her any more money.

That's why she's suing.

by Anonymousreply 7January 22, 2020 6:08 PM

I think she's being funded by Republicans to try to make the focus on Hillary again.

by Anonymousreply 8January 22, 2020 6:12 PM

What kind of game is Gabbard playing?

Is Putin backing her financially, to keep trashing Democratic candidates, or is she just mentally ill, and trying to stay relevant?

No one in their right mind, would ever vote for this toxic CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 9January 22, 2020 6:14 PM

Hilary never said Tulsi’s name so there is no case.

Tulsi is announcing this lawsuit for show, nothing more. Ignore her and she’ll go away.

by Anonymousreply 10January 22, 2020 6:15 PM

“If the nesting doll fits.”

L

O

L

!

by Anonymousreply 11January 22, 2020 6:16 PM

She should take 49 of it and spackle her pockmarks.

by Anonymousreply 12January 22, 2020 6:17 PM

This bitch...

by Anonymousreply 13January 22, 2020 6:54 PM

Discovery should be fun.

by Anonymousreply 14January 22, 2020 7:00 PM

"Asset" is an open-ended term. Tulsi met with Assad, wanted U.S. troops out of Syria and elsewhere in the Middle East; that fits Putin's agenda. She avoided voting against Trump's impeachment, the guy Russia backed with their intrusion and are still doing so.

by Anonymousreply 15January 22, 2020 7:11 PM

^avoided voting for, not against

by Anonymousreply 16January 22, 2020 7:13 PM

She seems to have Borderline PD. Toxic.

by Anonymousreply 17January 22, 2020 8:15 PM

Isn't it rich? Of course HRC has been called a criminal, a lesbian (accused of murder her lover Vince Foster), a dragon lady, a pimp for children (sex ring run out of a DC pizza parlor).... etc. Just sayin.

by Anonymousreply 18January 22, 2020 8:16 PM

Tulsi’s court filing is blistering. Like this sentence:

"Tulsi Gabbard is running for President of the United States, a position Clinton has long coveted but has not been able to attain."

Ouch! That’ll leave a mark.

by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2020 1:51 AM

Tulsi has no case. This will be dismissed quickly.

by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2020 1:54 AM

Seriously, this lawsuit puts her on a level with people like Palin. Not that she wasn't already there, but this cements it.

by Anonymousreply 21January 23, 2020 1:55 AM

Ah, this is why Tulsa Garbbage hasn't thrown in towel yet: so she can be perceived to be a viable contender, hot on the campaign trail- and irreparably damaged!

Maybe with her winnings she can finally get dermabrasion and a chemical face peel.

by Anonymousreply 22January 23, 2020 2:03 AM

Tulsi Gabbard needs to just join the other liars over at FOX news.

She is beneath contempt.

by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2020 2:18 AM

R19 that isn't something legitimate lawyers put in court filings. It's just playing for the cameras..

So the lawsuit is an obvious PR stunt. It's in her best interest to keep her name out there, but she surely knows she has no chance to win.

She's never been a Democrat - it's also unbelievable she wouldn't vote for Impeachment, which is a sign that she is trying to appeal to Republicans.

If she decides to run as an Independent she probably would pull off more Republican votes than Dems, so I doubt that is her end goal.

Keeping her campaign active is a way to continue funding her travel and other expenses as she works on whatever her next plan is.

Everyone knows she isn't a serious candidate.

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2020 2:30 AM

Op, Two things one already mentioned: Truth is the perfect defense to defamation and discovery is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2020 2:31 AM

R24 Uhhhh, if you say so...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 23, 2020 2:39 AM

R26 what I meant is that the court filing was intended to be seen by journalists and writers on sites like Breitbart and Fox News. Those are Fox-level insults. She's not serious about it.

Honestly the thing that annoys me most with her is the obvious disengenuousness. She thinks she's fooling everyone but she really isn't.

by Anonymousreply 27January 23, 2020 2:51 AM

It's actually kinda amazing to see Tulsi completely flame out like this. Seeing her reduced to silly lawsuits for attention. She could've been a U.S Senator but now she's reduced to Faux news attention grabber. I guess she wasn't up to the task of being responsible and respected, probably not much money in that for her or her cult.

by Anonymousreply 28January 23, 2020 2:59 AM

R26 Sure this has the smackings of a PR to it but taking on a high profile crooked beltway warmonger like Hillary and dragging her to court does give her more street cred. Oh and this is exactly something MSNBC would run if it was against the other side.

by Anonymousreply 29January 23, 2020 3:07 AM

r29 Nobody is going to trial, bitch tulski will pull the lawsuit in order to not be embarrassed when it's instantly thrown out or in the rare event it goes to trial and Hillary gets to discovery and Hillary gets to investigate. It's a dumb grab for attention Trump style.

by Anonymousreply 30January 23, 2020 3:25 AM

If there was an ounce of truth to Hill's accusation, than the woman is simply a genius. There's no other way to put it, I still want Hill's on the scene because it makes Pig's heads explode!! I hope she becomes a Cabinet member. I hope we can put Obama on the SC? Just so that the Pigs can never sleep well again!

by Anonymousreply 31January 23, 2020 8:37 AM

GOD, that court filing doesn't read like any that I have ever seen. Sure, it's in the same format but it reads like a bitch almost DL self bio about personal accolades and a mean girl complaint.

by Anonymousreply 32January 23, 2020 9:15 AM

Good luck with that Tulsi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 23, 2020 9:17 AM

R31 Hill? Pigs?

by Anonymousreply 34January 23, 2020 9:22 AM

R29 fuck right off back to Breitbart with your Republican talking points.

by Anonymousreply 35January 23, 2020 9:23 AM

I hope Pete wins, then asks Hillary, Obama, and Biden to be his presidential cabinet advisors. Warren as his VP. Puts Bernie in charge of healthcare and AOC in charge of Education. Maddow as his press secretary.

Now THAT would make Deplorable heads explode like a bug zapper on 11.

by Anonymousreply 36January 23, 2020 9:38 AM

Tulsi’s nasty. She can fuck off right back to Russia.

by Anonymousreply 37January 23, 2020 10:07 AM

The clintons need to have their asses handed to them! That family is vile and I’m not supporting the trumps because those fuckers can rot in hell too!

by Anonymousreply 38January 23, 2020 10:18 AM

R38 you seem like a low-information voter (or a Russian troll).

by Anonymousreply 39January 23, 2020 10:56 AM

How much does it cost though to file such a lawsuit? Like Devin Nunes frivolous lawsuits, I wonder who pays for this. Someone estimated that Nunes defamation lawsuits could cost +/- $100k each. He makes $200k a year as a member of the House. So who is funding these lawsuits?

by Anonymousreply 40January 23, 2020 11:59 AM

Tulsi <3

by Anonymousreply 41January 23, 2020 12:01 PM

Dudes like Nunes and Trump JR get unofficial money from the RNC. You know, to cover the unfair life they have had. Imagine all those Deplorables who donated money only to find out its a trust fund for a billionaires kids book. But knowing them, they ran out and bought the book so suckers basically paid for it twice.

Nunes needs to go. One way he will fell the pain is if he gets beat in a local election. The Republicans will cut him off if he has nothing to offer them at that point.

by Anonymousreply 42January 23, 2020 12:30 PM

If somehow Bernie gets the nom - will he pick Tulsi as VP? She’s prime MAGA jerk off fantasy - it’s possible it could work.

by Anonymousreply 43January 23, 2020 12:38 PM

[quote]Tulsi Gabbard is running for President of the United States, a position Clinton has long coveted but has not been able to attain

As opposed to the numerous times Tulsi has attained that position?

by Anonymousreply 44January 23, 2020 12:54 PM

I'v heard of sour grapes but never sour Poi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 23, 2020 1:06 PM

[quote]I'v heard of sour grapes but never sour Poi.

Then you've never eaten poi. It is always sour.

by Anonymousreply 46January 23, 2020 1:09 PM

Actually I have had Poi, it's disgusting. It's no wonder their affair with Spam is like gourmet to them.

by Anonymousreply 47January 23, 2020 1:11 PM

Will the 50M be enough to fix that overbite?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 23, 2020 1:14 PM

Well, she IS consistently staying at 1% in the Democratic primary polls!

by Anonymousreply 49January 23, 2020 1:32 PM

Yeah, Sanders/Tulsi wouldn't surprise me.

by Anonymousreply 50January 23, 2020 1:38 PM

"I'm surprised she hasn't joined Fox News yet. She's clearly auditioning."

First she would need to bleach her hair blond to have a chance at a job at Fox.

by Anonymousreply 51January 23, 2020 1:46 PM

The complaint reads like a campaign commercial, pure and simple. And as with most of these types of defamation suite, the complaint pretty much ignores the fact that the burden of proof for defamation of a public figure (which Tulsi certainly is) is extremely high.

This is such a blatant and transparent effort to get some publicity it's embarrassing. I sure wouldn't sign off on a pleading like that. It would be fun to see the lawyers all get sanctioned for filing a frivolous suit.

by Anonymousreply 52January 23, 2020 1:49 PM

“But you are, Blanche!”

by Anonymousreply 53January 23, 2020 1:51 PM

Tulsi is smarter than anyone gives her credit for and is playing a long game.

by Anonymousreply 54January 23, 2020 3:20 PM

R54 we know that's what she wants us to think.

Let me guess: you think Trump is playing 4th dimensional chess with his Middle East strategy, too.

by Anonymousreply 55January 23, 2020 3:42 PM

Yeah r54. It is taking her a long time to fucking give up already.

by Anonymousreply 56January 23, 2020 3:50 PM

Tulsi should sue her dermatologist

by Anonymousreply 57January 23, 2020 5:06 PM

How many victims are going to sue Tulski for falling into those open pits on her face? Where are the orange cones???

by Anonymousreply 58January 23, 2020 5:31 PM

[quote] Someone estimated that Nunes defamation lawsuits could cost +/- $100k each. He makes $200k a year as a member of the House. So who is funding these lawsuits?

That's the right question to ask.

Tulsi doesn't even have enough money to run her own campaign.

So who's funding these things?

Adelson? Koch? Mother Russia? Or all of the above?

by Anonymousreply 59January 24, 2020 5:28 AM

If Garbage loses the lawsuit, will she have to pay for Hillary's attorney fees?

I really hope so!

Bankrupt this fucking russian asset BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 60January 24, 2020 5:29 AM

I think if the judge kicks it out before a trial, then everyone is on their own. You could file another lawsuit for that but then its more legal fees to do that. If you go to court and lose the judge can make you pay for their legal fees. But getting to court is a long road, most cases never even make it that far.

by Anonymousreply 61January 24, 2020 8:30 AM

If anyone is a Russian asset it's Bernie.

by Anonymousreply 62January 24, 2020 8:43 AM

Actually, R61, the Judge can sanction both the plaintiff and the plaintiff's attorneys for filing a frivolous lawsuit. Sometimes the sanctions are in the form of a fine, but equally often the sanction is an order to pay the defendant's attorney's fees. However, your are correct that, in most cases, there are no sanctions and each party pays his/her own attorney's fees.

by Anonymousreply 63January 24, 2020 3:28 PM

There's Anti-SLAPP laws in some states but I'm sure she filed in a state that doesn't have one.

by Anonymousreply 64January 24, 2020 4:03 PM

Decent person sues garbage person. What’s the news story here?

by Anonymousreply 65January 24, 2020 4:24 PM

The news story here is that there really are asshole Republican trolls like you, R65, here on the good on DataLounge. Thanks for the proof.

by Anonymousreply 66January 24, 2020 4:40 PM

"You could file another lawsuit for that but then its more legal fees to do that."

I'm sure Tulsi's Republican puppet masters would be more than happy to write a check for more lawsuits. Looks, there's one at R65. Let's ask him/her/it.

by Anonymousreply 67January 24, 2020 4:43 PM

This lawsuit is a PR stunt to curry favor with the Fox execs. What better way to audition for Fox than to sue their arch-enemy, HRC?

This time next year Tulsi will be a permanent contributor on Fox, maybe one of the panelists on that dreadful show with Greg Gutfeld.

by Anonymousreply 68January 24, 2020 4:47 PM

She's so deluded she is probably not really wanting Fox but wants to get her own show on CNN or MSNBC since Fox has the dregs.

by Anonymousreply 69January 24, 2020 8:23 PM

She's so deluded she is probably not really wanting Fox but wants to get her own show on CNN or MSNBC since Fox has the dregs.

by Anonymousreply 70January 24, 2020 8:23 PM

She might want her own show, but she has no experience doing that at all. So I am with the others that say this is a clear wink, or uh scream to FOX that she wants a job from them and willing to perpetuate the Hillary hate mantra they now seem to have incorporated into their sexual fantasies.

by Anonymousreply 71January 24, 2020 9:01 PM

Yeah I think she will go to fox too. They will probably claim that the modern democratic party is so far left that even liberal democrat Tulsi had to flee to Fox. Even though she barely counts as a real dem.

by Anonymousreply 72January 24, 2020 9:10 PM

And then they will claim Fox is Fair and Balanced.

by Anonymousreply 73January 24, 2020 9:16 PM

She filed in New York if I remember correctly. Do they have anti-SLAPP laws there?

Does anyone know if Nunes can still file his frivolous lawsuits in Virginia or have they changed the law there with recent legislation?

Even if they throw out this frivolous lawsuit, Clinton probably still has to pay thousands in lawyer's fees. This seems incredibly unfair and Garbage should pay for her lawyers.

by Anonymousreply 74January 24, 2020 9:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!