Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TORI AMOS: New book and album to drop 2020

I can’t. My body is ready. After her iconic sonic resurgence in ‘17 with the severely overlooked and underrated “Native Invader” - her best album since the 1990’s - I have been wondering what to expect from her next...

The Piano Lioness is back!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104May 23, 2020 12:33 PM

Lioness will NOT be ignored!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 22, 2020 5:35 PM

(Reportedly) New song title included in the upcoming book: MARY’S RAVEN.

This has GOT TO BE connected to Mary’s Eyes 😢

by Anonymousreply 2January 22, 2020 5:36 PM

I want another band album 😰

by Anonymousreply 3January 22, 2020 5:41 PM

R3 Um, no.

This bitch has yet to produce a SOLO PIANO ALBUM OF ORIGINAL MUSIC and you’re still pining for “banNdz albuhmz”?

No.

She needs to strap on her highest high heels and give us an album of raw, unedited, solo-piano songs. She’s teased us during the last couple of albums and I haven’t been hard on her because she’s been producing exceptional work the last 5-10 years, minus a few disasters.

Still, I want a solo fucking album from a prodigious pianist! Is that too much to fucking ask?

by Anonymousreply 4January 22, 2020 5:45 PM

I’m team band as well. Loved the last album, but I love it when she rocks.

by Anonymousreply 5January 22, 2020 9:17 PM

R5 So, you don’t want her to release an album of solo-piano recordings?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2020 1:38 AM

If her voice sounded like it used too I would. Her voice has become too thin since The Beekeeper. I miss her 90s voice. She’s still my fav though

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2020 2:02 AM

The piano 🎹 is her voice.

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2020 3:13 AM

New on K-tel records and tapes: "Sad Girls of the 90s"!

Jewel; Alanis Morrissette; Natalie Imbruglia; Tori Amos; Enya...

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2020 3:36 AM

R9 is a fucking clueless moron

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2020 3:49 AM

I would like her to re-examine a Under The Pink style recording.

I suspect that if she did, she worries that the lack of thicker orchestration might underscore some of the, well.....weakness in her voice, as it is today.

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2020 3:53 AM

I thought “Unrepentant Geraldines” had a distinctly “...Pink” flavor.

I want a solo album along the lines of songs like Mother, Bells for Her, Thoughts, Here. In My Head, Yes, Anastasia (yes, I know it has orchestra but most of it is solo), Cornflake Girl (dame as Mother but re: band), Horses, Muhammad My Friend, Not the Red Baron, To the Fair Motormaids of Japan (!!!)), Sister Named Desire, Alamo, Frog on My Toe, Toodles Mr. Jim, Beulah Land, Never Seen Blue...

Okay, I’m going to be here forever but you get my point.

I have a suspicion that as a result of her mother’s death, she may be looking to simplify her sound and go back to something more organic or ... solo.

She started playing piano for her mom, when they were home alone, and the men were off to school and work. She’s often spoken of her mother playing records for her and then asking her to playing them back for her on the piano.

Tori knew how to play before she knew how to properly speak. It’s her true voice as far as I’m concerned, and it’s the main thing that sets her apart from her elders and peers. Her playing is so raw and elemental.

At her best, she can fill a stadium with the by turns thunderous and effervescent sounds of her piano playing.

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2020 6:45 AM

Another perfect example of RAW SOLO Tori.

And this MASTERPIECE was in part improvised using another song (Take Me With You). She don’t need no fucking band.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2020 6:56 AM

Fan preview review of Resistance.

I’m definitely buying it and praying it’s better than Piece by Piece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2020 1:31 PM

[Quote] The piano 🎹 is her voice.

You are correct r8. However, her vocals are her voice as well. She can emote like no other artist. It doesn’t matter if you understand the lyrics ! You know what she means by her vocal performance! I love this woman!

by Anonymousreply 15February 1, 2020 1:53 AM

OP and Tori Fans, has she REALLY released good music recently? I LOVED her work in the early to mid 90s. Even Scarlet's Walk had several excellent covers, but she became so... bland and beige. Perhaps settling down, middle age, motherhood does that to you? Anyway, what's her best SONG she's released in the past 5-10 years? Or, put another way, which song of hers from the past 5-10 years would appeal most to a fan of her first three solo albums?

by Anonymousreply 16February 1, 2020 2:02 AM

How precious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 1, 2020 2:54 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 1, 2020 2:55 AM

R16- I LOVE Native Invader and still listen to it daily..

To answer your question-

Oysters

Wildwood

Reindeer King

Weatherman

Breakaway (I love this one)

Broken Arrow

Benjamin

I particularly love her song she did with The Bullets- It sounds like it could have been on To Venus and Back-

by Anonymousreply 19February 1, 2020 2:57 AM

When she pronounces words like 'here' and 'near' like, "Neeaayuhhh heeeyuhhh" I cringe.

by Anonymousreply 20February 1, 2020 3:14 AM

These precious things!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 1, 2020 7:16 AM

[quote]These precious things [quote]Let them bleed [quote]Let them wash away [quote]These precious things…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 1, 2020 10:26 AM

It’s a nice clean break.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 1, 2020 10:28 AM

It’s a nice clean break.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 1, 2020 10:28 AM

R22, Why are you posting a picture of an old colleague of mine?

by Anonymousreply 25February 1, 2020 12:53 PM

Just to be clear, my post was a fond homage to LFF, who is a Tori Amos and Jessica Lange fan.

by Anonymousreply 26February 1, 2020 12:59 PM

OP is that Mark/Matt dude again who says things like:

"I've unraveled like a colorful maypole again"...

Sweet Jesus.

However, I love Tori and I always wish she had more fans at DL just so we could have our fanboy/fangirl discussions.

by Anonymousreply 27February 1, 2020 1:15 PM

And where the FUCK are you getting that there is a new album in 2020?

Just because of that one new song which may or not be real? (Mary's Raven)

by Anonymousreply 28February 1, 2020 1:16 PM

Phew! Just finished a 10+ minute improv I was lucky enough to record.

I was like -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 1, 2020 6:01 PM

R19 - appreciate it. Listened to each of them. Breakaway was my favorite, too, but there's no way any of them equal the work of her first three albums.

by Anonymousreply 30February 2, 2020 1:00 AM

Tori's so prolific that I'm surprised it's been well over two years since Native Invader was released and there hasn't been any confirmation of an upcoming album yet (even though that it isn't a particularly long gap by most artists' standards).

by Anonymousreply 31February 2, 2020 1:05 AM

You should listen to Climb from Native Invader r30 Stunning lyrics. I generally prefer her older stuff, but this and Bang are two of my favorite songs she has written

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 2, 2020 1:30 AM

Bang is equally r30

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 2, 2020 1:31 AM

R19 here. CLIMB had the prettiest opening and probably the greatest lyrics on the album. But after that opening, I don't know, the song melody and structure bores me.

Bang is good, but I felt that it should have rocked harder.

So funny that the two most popular songs on the album (with fans) I felt very little for.

Breakaway, was barely talked about...

by Anonymousreply 34February 2, 2020 1:36 AM

Has her surgery settled yet?

by Anonymousreply 35February 2, 2020 1:39 AM

R35- Yes, about 5 years ago :)

She must still do massive fillers and Botox because she has NOT a wrinkle at the age of 56!

by Anonymousreply 36February 2, 2020 1:45 AM

Thank god that shit settled. That Beekeeper brow lift upset me 😰

by Anonymousreply 37February 2, 2020 1:48 AM

R37 - Oh my god. YES!! That's exactly what (and when) is was!!! (I personally felt it was a brow lift and upper eye lift) her eyes are what changed the most, she always had that wonderful hooded lid thing going, it was liked the doctor scooped out her eye sockets. Her eyes were so wonderful (Watch any video on Youtube during the TVAB and Scarlets Walk era) And that surgery made her eyes open and wide. It was so NOT needed...

by Anonymousreply 38February 2, 2020 1:52 AM

[quote] That Beekeeper brow lift upset me

lol I can relate. I stopped being a fan after Scarlet's Walk, her newer stuff just doesn't do it for me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 2, 2020 1:57 AM

I love love love this look

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 2, 2020 1:58 AM

How is this limited songstress even relevant in this day and age?

by Anonymousreply 41February 2, 2020 2:04 AM

She is far from limited, troll. Name one other artist who can perform a different set list every show. Set lists are usually chosen the day of the show. With hundreds of songs to choose from that is a feat in itself.

by Anonymousreply 42February 2, 2020 2:09 AM

Amen R42. Its always such a treat waiting on the setlist for any given night. Love, love, love her

by Anonymousreply 43February 2, 2020 2:27 AM

Kate Bush wannabee that would grind her ass and pussy into the piano bench during performances.

Irritating then. Irritating now.

Only now she fucked up her face with plastic surgery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 2, 2020 2:57 AM

R44 = Courtney Love

by Anonymousreply 45February 2, 2020 3:43 AM

Even though her last several albums have been disappointing to many, she is an entirely different experience live. As R42 mentioned the setlists change nightly guaranteeing a unique experience. Plus the stories she tells always bring the laughs. I try to see her 2-3x each tour. It's fun meeting people who are hardcores and see 5, 10 or more shows a tour.

by Anonymousreply 46February 2, 2020 4:50 AM

I’m confused about this set list changes daily stuff, she can’t get it together to play the same show each time and puts her band through some random lineup each night? That sounds down right psychotic, I feel sorry for those musicians who must never know what’s coming.

by Anonymousreply 47February 2, 2020 4:56 AM

She hasn't toured with a band for several tours. It's just her, a piano and keyboard, which she often plays both at the same time. Plus her covers are always brilliant. She does two each night.

by Anonymousreply 48February 2, 2020 5:00 AM

She so washed up she can’t afford a backing band?

by Anonymousreply 49February 2, 2020 5:03 AM

[quote]Name one other artist who can perform a different set list every show. With hundreds of songs to choose from that is a feat in itself.

Any piano bar lounge act does this nightly. That's exactly what Amos is.

by Anonymousreply 50February 2, 2020 5:08 AM

R49 you obviously know nothing about her or you're trolling. I'm going with the latter.

by Anonymousreply 51February 2, 2020 5:13 AM

Book tour dates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 4, 2020 4:33 PM

Sorry, let's try that again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 4, 2020 4:35 PM

Book tour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 4, 2020 4:37 PM

Anybody who actively hates on someone as genius yet non-mainstream as Tori Amos is slightly retarded.

by Anonymousreply 55February 5, 2020 2:31 PM

R44 r45 speaking of Courtney Love, Tori Amos had a grunge album out that was so horrible it was laughed at by everyone in the industry I think there was only a limited amount of copies printed and so the next album after that was her "real debut"

Look it up.

by Anonymousreply 56February 6, 2020 2:30 AM

Jesus r56! Are you really that stupid? She talks about this album all the time and it wasn’t grunge, you fucking moron! It was late 80s synth and it was titled “Y Can’t Tori Read”. She tells the entire fucking story every time she discusses her SOLO debut Little Earthquakes. You seem slightly dim, r56.

by Anonymousreply 57February 6, 2020 4:00 AM

Tori is so wonderful. So perfect!

Again, Tori haters suffer from certain shall we say deficiencies.

They’re deficient.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 6, 2020 10:16 AM

Quit trying to make Tori happen.

by Anonymousreply 59February 6, 2020 10:19 AM

I'm not sure an album that was both overlooked and underrated could ever be considered either iconic or a resurgence.

by Anonymousreply 60February 6, 2020 10:26 AM

Anyone who has deluded themselves into thinking someone has hurt them (when they haven’t), and posts a bunch of information they think are facts (but aren’t) isn’t playing with a full deck, especially when they post what they think is a picture of that person (and isn’t), even after knowing what they full well look like.

Inexplicable. Head-scratching.

I hope you seek more help. You still have a ways to go.

by Anonymousreply 61February 26, 2020 12:01 AM

With all these books, movies, and tracks dropping everywhere it’s a wonder no one has been killed.

by Anonymousreply 62February 26, 2020 12:13 AM

I loved her song Oil Spill!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 26, 2020 12:17 AM

Tori gives me life! And I love Oil Spill!

by Anonymousreply 64February 26, 2020 1:09 AM

Her book tour sold out in no time.

by Anonymousreply 65February 26, 2020 11:43 PM

R61 There ya go, bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 2, 2020 5:17 AM

And before you continue, I know of a couple of [bold]crimes[/bold] you’ve committed...

Don’t push it, toots.

As for me being crazy, why yes, I can be. Especially when pushed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 2, 2020 5:22 AM

LFF, so far, you’ve thrown out a bunch of stuff that is simply not true (Matt, pals, LA, etc). I’ve called you out, and you go silent. You wrote that I hurt you, and then you play coy and refuse to believe me when I write that I have no idea what you’re talking about (And I still don’t), especially given my history. I’ve been genuine with you in our interactions on public boards as well as private conversations. I’ve spoken highly of you on many occasions for YEARS out of your earshot. I’ve defended you when people have put you down.

And now you act the way you’ve been acting the last couple of weeks, because ... ? I have zero idea. You’re disturbed to think you’re acting appropriately. You’re not. You’re engaging in silly games.

And anyone can google “Cinesnatch” and find that photo. I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove. You can find out other stuff about me as well. So what. I have nothing to hide. Are you trying to intimidate me?

If you can’t handle this like a mature adult, then press the red buttons. I really don’t care. I wish you’d care more about what a jerk you’re being right now.

by Anonymousreply 68March 2, 2020 7:33 AM

So, it has been a couple days, Alexis. Whatever you "have" on me, you have me confused for someone else. Something has happened between January 2019 and now that has changed your opinion of me and I don’t know what that is. Whoever hurt you, I have no idea what it has to do with me. I have no idea what your verification process is, but it’s flawed. Why didn't you ever come to me directly if you were so convinced it was me who did whatever they did to hurt you? There were very accessible, humane ways to go about doing this. And, based on the way I’ve treated you overall over the years, I’ve earned that respect and treatment.

You insinuated I live in Los Angeles (I do not; I haven't lived there in over five years, which is more time that has passed than most of our interactions on the internet). I haven't lived in the same country as you for years. You were wrong and you've said nothing.

You insinuated I'm friends with a Matt (I have no Matts in my life other than a friend's husband, who I haven't seen in literally years and don't correspond with, and lives in the middle of nowhere, so I doubt he has ever met the likes of you). You were wrong and you've said nothing.

You insinuated I have “pals” associated with DL and/or you. I have zero awareness of knowing anyone who has ever met you. I have never met you. I don’t know your full name. I don’t even know where you live. You were wrong and you've said nothing.

You claimed I've committed crimes IN BOLD (I haven't). You were wrong and you've said nothing.

Like any adolescent could, you googled "Cinesnach" a few weeks ago and posted a picture of an old colleague of mine (who wrote theatre reviews for my blog years ago) thinking it was me (which is strange, because you had already seen what I looked like before). That was a mess and inappropriate to involve my old colleague (which you never apologised for). Then, you googled "Cinesnatch" again and posted a picture of me the second try. To what effect? To intimidate/threaten me? Well, it didn't work. It won’t work. I’m not scared of you Alexis. But, I am scared for you. You’re acting erratically in very ugly ways.

While I have gotten a bit passive-aggressive at times the last few weeks since you turned on me, I have wanted to say some really nasty things to you due to anger. But, I have held back out of respect to you. I’ve been very open, honest, and vulnerable to you on a public forum. It wasn’t easy, particularly because you remain so cryptic and stubborn about this fictional narrative you have running through your head about me. I am hurt by the way you've conducted yourself with me on DL this last month (since I picked up on there being something wrong). I've been quite fond of you over the years, championed your talents (including your piano playing and fitness), as well as your strength (for surviving what you've been through) and passions, and have sung your praises and insisted you were misunderstood by those who dragged you (even though I've never met you in person). I've given you no reason or proof to turn on me like this. Yet, here we are. This has all been very confusing and disappointing. While you've been mistreated, abused, and traumatised by others in your life, it gives you no right to respond to me in such a way when I've done nothing to you, but opened myself up to and have given you my full attention and regard. I don't know if you're back on drugs, if you need to be medicated/counselled, if you have been fed misinformation by who knows whom or why, but if your goal was to drive me away, consider your mission finally fucking accomplished. I am officially driven away. Goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 69March 3, 2020 9:56 PM

Holy FUCK!!! That's who he is- "Mark Alexis"!!!!! His posts have always had that bi polar over dramatic flair.

Like his "I've become unraveled like a colorful maypole" line that still makes me howl.

I could not think of his name.

by Anonymousreply 70March 3, 2020 10:18 PM

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to out anyone. Alexis has also been very vocal and consistent with his love of Jessica Lange and Tori Amos across the internet (part of his charm IMO), and the tone of his posts is often unmistakably distinct and he sometimes signs off by his names. He makes no secret of his identity (also part of his charm) and he has a great imagination and a creative way with words. But, I was trying to reach out to him on a human level, hence the use of one of his first names, as well as mine.

My main point is that he was hurtful, regardless of what he believes. And he hurt me. He was hurtful and in the land of reality and facts, he had no justification.

I've known of his presence for seven years when he started coming back in various incarnations to AW after getting banned. We started interacting with each other a couple of years ago via PM on AW, Twitter, and Discord. I know this is just the internet, but I grew quite fond of him. Everything I wrote is true. I did adore him I did champion him. I did defend him. A little over a year ago, he got extremely paranoid and insufferable, and we drifted apart. While I didn't reach out to him, neither did he. A month ago, I started reaching out to him on DL, and he started acting extremely nasty towards me. I still don't know why. All I can conclude is that he is either consumed by his own delusions (again) and/or someone (for who knows what reasons) fed him misinformation about me.

This whole thing is gross and ugly and it stings. I know deep down he's a good person. I know this. But, I have to draw a line and I'm drawing it here. Hopefully, one of these days, he'll take responsibility for how he has acted.

by Anonymousreply 71March 3, 2020 10:57 PM

I have no idea what's going on here, but that line "I've become unraveled like a colorful maypole" makes me wonder if whoever you guys are talking about is someone from that old Unforumzed site? There was a hell of a lot of unintentionally hilarious and cringey descriptions like that going on over there, they were kind of known for trying to sound as enigmatic as Tori and failing badly.

PS, if that picture at 66 is of Cinesnatch, then all I'll say is: 😍 Handsome man!

Onto good Tori tracks from recent years, I think most tracks from her recent albums Unrepentant Geraldines and Native Invader are really great! I really like "Up the Creek", "Bang", "Wedding Day", "Selkie" and "16 Shades of Blue" for a start.

by Anonymousreply 72March 3, 2020 11:00 PM

R72, I MAY have read that on Unforumzed! I know that Alexis is a musician himself and I will leave it alone. As I am getting nasty- R71- I don't even know what the deal is with your situation but you sound very intelligent and should keep posting!

R72- I said above that still listen to Native Invader daily- It is a keeper for me- I think its her most underrated work ever.

I HATED 16 Shades of Blue though! HATED. Didn't dig Chocolate Song either.

Selkie, Oysters, and the title song from UG are by far my favorites~

The hidden gem on NI is Benjamin. My favorite is probably Wildwood and Breakaway, then Benjamin, Bats, and Broken Arrow. And Reindeer King is almost its own album...I almost forget that it is on the album and probably its greatest masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 73March 3, 2020 11:27 PM

Torn Anus?

by Anonymousreply 74March 3, 2020 11:28 PM

Nobody gives a shit about her anymore except for OP.

by Anonymousreply 75March 3, 2020 11:29 PM

Oh yes R73 "Reindeer King" is amazing! "Almost it's own album" is such a great way to put it, I seriously have listened to it before and gotten lost and forgotten there's a whole album to come after.

For me, "16 Shades of Blue" at the time I heard it was the first time since the 90s that I'd really been able to personally identify with her lyrics. That song being all about the fear of never getting a chance to do anything because society tells you you should've already begun no matter how young you are, and mistakes aren't welcome and there are no second chances was very real to me then. I do know this song is quite divisive though.

I agree with you on Chocolate Song, mostly because every time I think about it, I start to hear the flake advert: "Only the crumbliest, flakiest chocolate tastes like chocolate never tasted before..." and then I think of Eddie from Absolutely Fabulous trying to soothe Saffy by singing that song to her, and I'm laughing and can't take Tori's song seriously.

I think what I like about the two recent albums is that they are strong, consistent albums in their own right, even if I don't love every song, and they are enjoyable to listen to all the way through. I struggled with some of the 00s albums, which felt much less cohesive. As much as I tried, American Doll Posse in particular seems so airless to me, it's hard to listen to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 4, 2020 3:56 AM

Plastic Surgery Disaster Mama!

by Anonymousreply 77March 6, 2020 10:29 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 6, 2020 10:30 PM

Tori's going to be having 3 livestream events on May 5th-7th in lieu of the originally scheduled book tour. You can also buy autographed books and submit a question for the livestreams at the links on her site.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 17, 2020 3:41 AM

You bitches are some messy queens and I am living for it!

by Anonymousreply 80April 26, 2020 4:18 PM

Great and long new interview with the New Yorker out today.

The final quote is amazing. "Well, I refuse to capitulate. I’m not going out to pasture, for the boys’ club. They can go fuck themselves. I’m not going anywhere."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 27, 2020 1:05 AM

Her analysis of what Russia is doing is exactly the way I see it. I don’t understand why it’s not mainstream conversation in the US.

by Anonymousreply 82April 28, 2020 12:15 AM

Her new book, RESISTANCE, is out today. I am listening to the audiobook while I work.

She has such a soothing but emotive voice, and it’s really interesting to hear her read lyrics to her song instead of sing them. Some emphasis is quite different than the sung versions.

More than that, though, she really has a tremendous amount of insight and my God, what a heart.

by Anonymousreply 83May 5, 2020 2:34 PM

I just can't even look at her anymore after whatever the fuck she did to her face. Travesty.

by Anonymousreply 84May 5, 2020 2:37 PM

Your focus on superficial concerns is making you miss out on some really brilliant music and wise insights.

Some people will always feel like the old women need to be burned as witches as they age. Shame.

by Anonymousreply 85May 5, 2020 3:15 PM

So far loving this book

by Anonymousreply 86May 5, 2020 11:11 PM

Her facebook live Q & A (with Tash moderating) was quite good. She has a few more livestream events lined up for the book release.

by Anonymousreply 87May 5, 2020 11:11 PM

She's doing another live Q&A from Chicago, 1pm. Free streaming on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88May 6, 2020 5:30 PM

Really enjoyed the book, especially the later chapters about dealing with her mother's death. Very emotional and intense. The first half of the book was a lot of things I already knew, but then I've been a big fan for decades so I've heard about her background plenty of times in press/her first book.

Both livestream interviews she's done so far have been great, she has a lot of insight into dealing with this craziness and keeping yourself going as a creative person. The New Yorker piece was excellent as well. I've noticed that the press for this (and the last record) seem to be much more positive, I feel like she's finally crossed over in reputation to being someone like Stevie Nicks/Patti Smith where she gets respected for her longevity and artistry as opposed to being treated like a kook as she was for much of the 90s/00s. I'm sure some of that is due to the work still being good, but I think a lot of it is due to people who were fans growing up now being the people writing about/interviewing her so they take her seriously instead of dismissing her out of hand and the culture at large catching up to the things she was talking about in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 89May 7, 2020 6:23 AM

I haven't started the book yet R89, but your second paragraph is spot on. I was supposed to be seeing her Saturday night in SF for the book tour. Disappointed I won't be but the live streams have been great, although I wasn't a huge fan of the moderator of today's. I enjoyed Tash much better in that role.

by Anonymousreply 90May 7, 2020 7:12 AM

Tori Amos just saved my sanity!!! Not even kidding.

I live in DC in a usually very quiet neighborhood. Someone outside, some dude bros, have been YELLING drunkenly since about 5:00. It’s after 9 now. They sounded like they were right outside my window but I didn’t see anyone. It has been grating on my nerves for hours.

I finally lost my patience and I put Tori Amos’s “Professional Widow” on repeat on my phone, propped it against my window screen facing out and closed my window, and one of the people drove away and the others went inside!! They had been sitting outside behind row houses across the alleyway from me.

Tori is my guardian angel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 8, 2020 1:22 AM

Tori Amos just saved my sanity!!! Not even kidding.

I live in DC in a usually very quiet neighborhood. Someone outside, some dude bros, have been YELLING drunkenly since about 5:00. It’s after 9 now. They sounded like they were right outside my window but I didn’t see anyone. It has been grating on my nerves for hours.

I finally lost my patience and I put Tori Amos’s “Professional Widow” on repeat on my phone, propped it against my window screen facing out and closed my window, and one of the people drove away and the others went inside!! They had been sitting outside behind row houses across the alleyway from me.

Tori is my guardian angel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92May 8, 2020 1:22 AM

R92 wasn’t Professional Widow about Courtney Love?

by Anonymousreply 93May 8, 2020 1:32 AM

R93 Supposedly. But all that mattered for my purposes tonight is that the song combines howl-screeching with a harpsichord and loud percussion, which is a good dudebro repellant.

by Anonymousreply 94May 8, 2020 1:41 AM

Thanks for the inspiration R92 My block just did the 7pm salute. I think I'll salute them with the screeching stylings of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95May 8, 2020 2:04 AM

I just finished the audiobook. Brilliant.

I was not emotionally prepared for the concluding chapters about her mother or encouraging artists. I lost my mom two years ago and I lost all my will to write and paint around the same time. This book hit me a lot harder than I expected, and I have very high expectations of Tori Amos.

by Anonymousreply 96May 12, 2020 1:30 AM

I'm really looking forward to reading this now. It sounds like it's a lot better than Piece by Piece was (which had some parts I still thought were enjoyable/interesting, ie the music industry parts and her health issues around getting pregnant). Just reading interviews with her lately it's amazing how firm her finger is on the pulse of what is going on and how intelligent her understanding of human beings is.

by Anonymousreply 97May 12, 2020 1:48 AM

R97 Yes, both the political aspect and the empathic and psychological aspects are strong in this book. Be aware that the throughline that connects all the disparate topics and life events she discusses is artistry as a means of expression, sometimes life-saving expression, and as a cultivated discipline. She writes a lot (a lot!) about her relationship with muses, and she’s unabashedly serious about that. It’s a spiritual treatise in her unique way and from a vantage point from which she views creative works as the product of a human spirit’s and mind’s collaboration with that of a divine force—and again, she approaches that principle seriously and not as a metaphor. That’s the only negative note I’ve seen in reviews of the book, along with the loose structure of it, but I view it as a strength having come to respect her so much that I am totally open to her worldview.

by Anonymousreply 98May 12, 2020 1:59 AM

Most of the reviews I’ve seen have been very positive and respectful.

The New York Times just published an incredibly dismissive and condescending review, which associates the book with angry Wiccan girls who carry amethyst crystals around with them. It’s fair to suggest that a book that talks about how an artist is inspired by “the muses” may be a little New Age-y for many people, but I feel like this reviewer didn’t really read the book. She didn’t seem at all affected by its gravitas or by Tori’s strong writing.

Publisher’s Weekly called it “soulful,” Booklist called it “thoughtful,” Kirkus Reviews said it’s "A dramatically inspired volume of lyrics and legacy presenting Amos as an artist, an activist, and a sharp, thoughtful musician with a commanding voice.

It seems really weird that The New York Times would shrug it off completely as a trifle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 22, 2020 12:15 PM

That NYT review is... among other things, a reminder that Lauretta Charlton is a remarkably weak, arrogant writer.

by Anonymousreply 100May 22, 2020 12:36 PM

R100 I’m not familiar with her. But yeah, her “book review” is really a childish, snarky commentary on her stereotype of the 1990s that just uses Amos’s book as an excuse to write what she wanted.

by Anonymousreply 101May 22, 2020 12:39 PM

I like that Tori's singing voice isn't too distant from her speaking voice, unlike most singers these days (male and especially female).

by Anonymousreply 102May 22, 2020 2:07 PM

R102 Her singing voice (live) also sounds like...her singing voice (recorded), unlike most artists these days.

by Anonymousreply 103May 22, 2020 2:45 PM

This interview with Sarah Kendzior and Andrea Chalupa about the role od artistry in resisting an oligarchical overtake of democracy is worth listening to whether or not you appreciate Tori’s music or her book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104May 23, 2020 12:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!