Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

CHINA BEACH

I was watching on Daily Motion a couple episodes “China Beach.” It was on ABC from 1988 to 1991. Emmys were awarded to Dana Delany (twice) and Marg Helgenberger. A fine cast which also included, in the first season, Chloe Webb (who was nominated for a Guest Actress Emmy).

I was considering buying it on DVD, if possible, and want suggestions by people who may have made such purchase.

If anyone is up for it, share a sweet memory of your appreciation of the series.

Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2020 11:39 AM

My 12yo self was in love with Brian Wimmer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 22, 2020 3:58 AM

Show #1 where Chloe Webb left a plum role for nothingness.

by Anonymousreply 2January 22, 2020 4:01 AM

Nancy Giles went on to become an MSNBC political pundit and CBS Sunday Morning show correspondent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 22, 2020 4:43 AM

Rikki Lake was on CB also. She played a "Donut Dolly", a girl that would go around passing around donuts to the sick or injured men.

I guess doing garbage TV years later was more lucrative.

by Anonymousreply 4January 22, 2020 4:47 AM

Another show that looks completely and utterly eighties.

by Anonymousreply 5January 22, 2020 4:50 AM

R4 Is that a euphemism for whore?

by Anonymousreply 6January 22, 2020 5:03 AM

The makeup, the set, the lighting - aaarrgghh. It should have been China Bordello.

by Anonymousreply 7January 22, 2020 7:29 AM

OP, I tried to watch the first season on DVD, but the sound was hard to hear, and there was no closed captioning.

by Anonymousreply 8January 22, 2020 10:04 AM

DVDs? How quaint!

by Anonymousreply 9January 22, 2020 10:32 AM

R9? How cunt!

by Anonymousreply 10January 22, 2020 10:34 AM

Oh, yes. Brian Wimmer was hot, hot, hot! Even Robert Picardo was kind of a sexy daddy.

by Anonymousreply 11January 22, 2020 10:37 AM

I really liked Nan Woods as the naive nurse Cherry. Her character ended up being killed in the last season of the series, and that was the last show Nan ever appeared in. I wonder why she left acting just as her star was rising.

Maybe she was Weinstein-ed.

by Anonymousreply 12January 22, 2020 10:40 AM

I loved how they used "Reflections" as the theme song. It gave the song a whole different, dark tone.

by Anonymousreply 13January 22, 2020 10:41 AM

Brian Wimmer.....sigh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 22, 2020 3:47 PM

The cast has reunited tonight on Stars in the House.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2020 1:01 AM

It was during the filming of China Beach that Nan Woods realized she didn't want to act anymore. She told producers she wanted out and returned for season 2, on the condition they write her character out as soon as possible.

Once they killed off the character, she officially retired from acting

by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2020 1:33 AM

R12 and R16,

The character of Cherry White, played by Nan Woods, was killed off in “China Beach” episode “Tet ’68” (S02E07, 01.25.1989). Mourning for the tragic loss of the character was depicted in the following episode “Cherry” (S02E08, 02.01.1989). Great, highly resonating acting particularly by Marg Helgenberger. The following video is from “Cherry.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 24, 2020 3:51 AM

I was 14 and in love with Cherry, and I cried when she was killed.

That night, my mother gave me a talk about How Things Were Then. She told me how she and her friends "adopted" Vietnam soldiers in the '60s and wrote them letters. She had an ID bracelet with her soldier's name on it. I couldn't ask her if he didn't make it back, and she never said.

by Anonymousreply 18April 24, 2020 3:59 AM

I wonder why Nan Woods gave up acting so abruptly. Was she a "me, too" victim?

by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2020 11:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!