Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The world's skinniest skyscraper is almost complete

tasteful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 23, 2020 9:28 AM

Dat sho is ugly!

by Anonymousreply 1January 21, 2020 9:35 PM

I thought this would have been in Asia.

by Anonymousreply 2January 21, 2020 9:43 PM

All the skinny skyscrapers in NYC are messing the skyline. They look like weeds in the garden that need to be pulled.

by Anonymousreply 3January 21, 2020 9:47 PM

Harpo, what dat?

by Anonymousreply 4January 21, 2020 9:49 PM

harder to hit with a plane

by Anonymousreply 5January 21, 2020 10:01 PM

Perfect to launder money to leave many units empty and unfurnished.

by Anonymousreply 6January 21, 2020 10:15 PM

so dumb

by Anonymousreply 7January 21, 2020 10:19 PM

Remember when buildings used to actually be classy and had carvings, etchings, and had intricate details that made them stand out??

by Anonymousreply 8January 21, 2020 10:21 PM

Severely boring architecture and interiors. No sense of style or luxury and probably cheaply built trash that will be riddled with construction defects for decades to come.

by Anonymousreply 9January 21, 2020 10:27 PM

"No sense of style or luxury..."

What passes for luxury these days in housing, cars, hotels, etc. is a fucking joke.

Just slapping the name "Trump" on the side of a shit hole doesn't make it "luxury."

by Anonymousreply 10January 21, 2020 10:35 PM

[quote]Remember when buildings used to actually be classy and had carvings, etchings, and had intricate details that made them stand out??

R8 has been bitching since Lever House went up in 1952.

by Anonymousreply 11January 21, 2020 10:35 PM

Hate hanging cupboards in the middle of the ceiling. Blocks views and light.

by Anonymousreply 12January 21, 2020 10:38 PM

So slender that a herd of Kardashians (w/mythic asses) could only go up one at a time in the elevator.

by Anonymousreply 13January 21, 2020 11:00 PM

What a dump!

by Anonymousreply 14January 21, 2020 11:15 PM

4500 sq ft is impressive in it's own right, and the park view in the 50' long room likewise. The photos don't give a good sense of the place so there's no way of knowing if the all-around views are used to advantage of a lost opportunity.

The massive and misplaced utility bulkheads in the principal room are not a good sign. The focal point open kitchen is ridiculous, and cheap looking.

Its easily overlooked but the staging is startlingly bad, as is the job were given to somebody's sister-in-law in the Midwest, a decorator in a van franchise. All that money and time and effort and that is what they come up with? That they didn't do something spare with good bold art arm lots of big modern sofas suggests the trash decor is meant to distract from bad architecture and poor finishes.

by Anonymousreply 15January 21, 2020 11:45 PM

r8 The Art Nouveu exterior isn't enough for you?

I've seen duplex floorplans with south facing terraces. It could be a lot worse. It's very original and I don't mean that as shade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 22, 2020 12:36 AM

R11 = Saudi pig wanting to build another hideous monstrosity

by Anonymousreply 17January 22, 2020 12:39 AM

R17 What you don't seem to understand: simple unadorned boxes have been the way of architecture for the last 70 years.

However, it is in the last decade that embellishment, carvings, etchings, and intricate details have made a return in (especially residential) architecture.

by Anonymousreply 18January 22, 2020 12:57 AM

What's the sway factor?

by Anonymousreply 19January 22, 2020 1:11 AM

Actual website, OP. Makes me queasy looking at the building.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 22, 2020 1:58 AM

R18 The return of ornamentalism and relief from brutalist modernist architecture dates to the 70s, with more momentum in the 80s..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 22, 2020 2:53 AM

[quote]The return of ornamentalism and relief from brutalist modernist architecture dates to the 70s, with more momentum in the 80s..

Most of 1970s/80s-style post modern designs had a strong dose of irony. Embellishment was indicated and carried out in broad strokes. It was a comment on classicism rather than a desire to return to the real thing.

by Anonymousreply 22January 22, 2020 3:19 AM

A facade of terra cotta tiles with that kind of detail, embellished with bronze filigree would not have been done on a skyscraper in the 70s or 80s. See the pic at post R20.

by Anonymousreply 23January 22, 2020 3:27 AM

At last a solution to the ever-growing housing crisis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 22, 2020 3:48 AM

Fat people need not apply.

by Anonymousreply 25January 22, 2020 4:05 AM

R24 That is so squalid looking.

by Anonymousreply 26January 22, 2020 4:21 AM

How much are the basement units going for?

by Anonymousreply 27January 22, 2020 4:49 AM

It's awesome. Each floor is it's own unit.

Of course some people wouldn't like that, dreadful hillbillies

by Anonymousreply 28January 22, 2020 6:21 AM

What Frau was allowed to design that place? its like someone tossed Sophia 20,000 to designer her dream room at Shady Pines.

Yes, I am aware it cost 10 times that, but it still looks like a shitty 20K update an old lady would do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 22, 2020 6:47 AM

The building incorporates the historic and magnificent Steinway Hall as its partial base. I actually like the design as a design - SHoP Architects does interesting work. The staging is half-assed, however.

by Anonymousreply 30January 22, 2020 6:57 AM

Apparently, NY hasn’t any apprehension about pencil dicks.

Good for her!

by Anonymousreply 31January 22, 2020 7:08 AM

I hear that Giuliana Rancic posed as the model for this skinny skyscraper.

by Anonymousreply 32January 22, 2020 7:24 AM

It looks like the canyon effect will make it sway so fuck that. I'm not going in.

by Anonymousreply 33January 22, 2020 7:46 AM

elevators, in general, make me queasy and especially the fast ones for tall buildings. can't imagine having to deal with that on a daily basis. and if a fire happens and engulfs a whole floor you have to run down all those flights of stairs?

by Anonymousreply 34January 22, 2020 8:40 AM

I prefer girth.

by Anonymousreply 35January 22, 2020 8:52 AM

What will be its nickname? Every extravagant skyscraper has a nick. The Needle? (taken by Seattle). The Toothpick?

by Anonymousreply 36January 22, 2020 8:58 AM

I don't understand what's going on with those floor to ceiling door-windows. They have handles so I assume they open inwards. Looks a bit scary!

by Anonymousreply 37January 22, 2020 9:01 AM

I live in a high rise, it's built pretty solid and wide with two separate wings. Even in moderate wind, it sways somewhat a few fractions of an inch maybe. But the skinnier and taller the building, the more it flexes. Something like that building will be shifting several feet in high winds, not something I would really fell good about even though I am sure it's safe.

by Anonymousreply 38January 22, 2020 9:06 AM

R36 ‘The Dil’

by Anonymousreply 39January 22, 2020 9:09 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 22, 2020 9:29 AM

I hope they allow pets. I would love to think of a cat on the top floor surveying her kingdom!

by Anonymousreply 41January 22, 2020 10:31 AM

[quote] However, it is in the last decade that embellishment, carvings, etchings, and intricate details have made a return in (especially residential) architecture.

These embellishments and so forth have nothing of the care and originality of earlier styles, with their mastery of the whole grammar of ornament and their skill to adapt and innovate on it; and they don't even have the (to my mind labored) wit of the postmodernism of the 70s-80s. They're mere decorative gestures on an ill-proportioned eyesore, like the touches on a McMansion that gratify rich rubes who read them as "Victorian" or "Louis" or whatever style comforts them. This building remains a crass money-laundering opportunity and any attempt to associate it with the skyscrapers that genuinely engaged with an artistic past, a social present, and the city of the future is desperate.

by Anonymousreply 42January 22, 2020 10:47 AM

Imagine waking up with one of those crushing, disorienting hangovers? And the buildings swaying and ‘you’re like, I just can’t deal’- said in disgusted kardashianfry.

by Anonymousreply 43January 22, 2020 10:56 AM

r33

Oh please you can't even afford to stand outside on the sidewalk in front of the building, much less ever go in.

by Anonymousreply 44January 22, 2020 11:20 AM

[quote]I hope they allow pets. I would love to think of a cat on the top floor surveying her kingdom!

It's a condo building, anything goes.

by Anonymousreply 45January 22, 2020 11:31 AM

Not all that many years from now this is what the Manhattan skyline will look like. In other words, ruined.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 22, 2020 12:38 PM

It's like Tetris on steroids!

by Anonymousreply 47January 22, 2020 12:43 PM

R45 Dungeons & Drag Queens?

by Anonymousreply 48January 22, 2020 1:01 PM

Looks like Sauron's Tower....and will probably face plant at some point, just like Sauron's Tower. Bonus: ugly as shit....

by Anonymousreply 49January 22, 2020 3:00 PM

Hundreds of millions of dollars to design and build this building and the staging looks like they raided a dollar gift shop.

by Anonymousreply 50January 22, 2020 3:18 PM

Nobody is actually going to live there. Like the above poster said, these buildings are giant money laundering operations. It's horrible. Even people who make six figures can barely afford the city anymore, and all that's being built are these useless buildings.

by Anonymousreply 51January 22, 2020 3:32 PM

[quote]These embellishments and so forth have nothing of the care and originality of earlier styles, with their mastery of the whole grammar of ornament and their skill to adapt and innovate on it.

No buildings have had any of that since before WWII. Where have you been for the last 80 years?

And the wit of the postmodernism of the 70s-80s has aged horribly.

I'd rather have the limestone-clad 15 CPW on Central Park West than anything else built in decades.

by Anonymousreply 52January 22, 2020 3:39 PM

I actually like them. More interesting than the cookie cutter boxes sprouting everywhere in SF. Or the ugly-ass cheap new construction in Williamsburg.

And ultimately, more space is good. My only hope is there is a massive housing downturn and they are forced to cut up the apartments into hundreds of studios and 1BRs.

by Anonymousreply 53January 22, 2020 3:50 PM

Oh God - I just noticed the open concept kitchen! Seriously - in a $30 million apartment! That’s for a middle class suburban family living in a McMansion - not an international billionaire. Bad choice.

by Anonymousreply 54January 22, 2020 3:56 PM

Anyone who would buy those apartments are going to be doing much cooking or eating in.

by Anonymousreply 55January 22, 2020 4:10 PM

Where have I been for the last 80 years? Missing the kind of care and detail that went out with Art Deco. Not finding it in the corporate-approved architecture we've had to live with since then (and the Frank Gehry-style labyrinths don't fit the bill). And I agree that the wit of postmodernism has aged as horribly as Philip Johnson; I didn't say I liked it. But at least it was a fig leaf, whereas the ornamentation on these money-laundering towers is Ikea-grade.

by Anonymousreply 56January 22, 2020 4:13 PM

ny skyline is now so ordinary and boring. this will just fit in.

by Anonymousreply 57January 22, 2020 4:16 PM

R56 I'd rather have these on the skyline than one more flat top glass box.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 22, 2020 4:23 PM

That tub would give Trump a woody. I don't know much about design (Yes! I [italic]am[/italic] a gay man) but the look on the inside is tacky as shit. I don't get it. Why spend all that money on the building and then show it off so poorly?

by Anonymousreply 59January 22, 2020 5:18 PM

I would be a nervous nelly being that high up. What if there was a fire? You'd be totally fucked. And all the asshole neighbors you'd have to deal with - people who live in buildings like that are the worst people in the world.

For that kind of $$$, I would much prefer a lovely townhouse on the UES.

by Anonymousreply 60January 22, 2020 5:23 PM

But those views are spectacular. I don’t need all that space - but 1,000 square foot 2BR would be great. Like floating above the city. It’s the one thing I miss living in the low rise Village.

by Anonymousreply 61January 22, 2020 5:26 PM

If it’s so skinny, couldn’t someone detonate a bomb on a lower floor and tip the whole thing over? No hijacking necessary.

by Anonymousreply 62January 22, 2020 6:14 PM

[quote]I hope they allow pets. I would love to think of a cat on the top floor surveying her kingdom!

For $30M they'd better allow a galley full of slave boys, never mind a cat!

by Anonymousreply 63January 22, 2020 6:27 PM

I think your bathtub is perfectly ridiculous!

by Anonymousreply 64January 22, 2020 6:37 PM

Not one of these many skyscraper apartment buildings rising in NYC have an iconic look that can become a symbol of NYC.

Instead they have become symbols of greed

by Anonymousreply 65January 22, 2020 6:37 PM

[quote]If it’s so skinny, couldn’t someone detonate a bomb on a lower floor and tip the whole thing over?

Tried that, R62; didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 66January 22, 2020 7:05 PM

[quote]And all the asshole neighbors you'd have to deal with - people who live in buildings like that are the worst people in the world. For that kind of $$$, I would much prefer a lovely townhouse on the UES.

In a building like that you'll rarely see your neighbors. People don't buy these as a main residence. And you're completely insulated by the building's staff.

You'd be dealing directly with more people by owning a townhouse.

by Anonymousreply 67January 22, 2020 9:45 PM

Wonder if for $29.5m you still hear the neighbours?

by Anonymousreply 68January 22, 2020 10:21 PM

r67 even when you see neighbors like that for one month out of the year it's too much.

by Anonymousreply 69January 22, 2020 10:43 PM

R69 You'd be much worse off dealing with middle class neighbors. The ultra wealthy keep to themselves.

by Anonymousreply 70January 22, 2020 10:49 PM

[quote]What will be its nickname? Every extravagant skyscraper has a nick. The Needle? (taken by Seattle). The Toothpick?

The Karen Carpenter Tower.

by Anonymousreply 71January 22, 2020 10:50 PM

r70 not always. Believe me.

by Anonymousreply 72January 22, 2020 10:52 PM

[quote]And all the asshole neighbors you'd have to deal with - people who live in buildings like that are the worst people in the world.

[quote]For that kind of $$$, I would much prefer a lovely townhouse on the UES.

Americans, who pride themselves on friendliness, always want to insulate with big horizontal stretches of land or, at least, an unshared door.

Can't imagine that neighbors would be a problem. Even if they all lived there all of the time it's one apartment per floor, limiting interaction to run-ins on the elevators.

Unless a neighbor above or below is having prohibited construction or making crazy loud noise, what's the worst that could happen? Your relieved of the neighbor with the ugly door mat in the common hall, the guy who smokes weed all the time and then layers the stink with patchouli and sandelwood, the stairway burper, the door slammer, and the rest that goes with having to share the same with other residents.

by Anonymousreply 73January 22, 2020 10:59 PM

There's always drama, r73. Lots of luxury buildings have it. The Dakota is a famous shitshow of drama.

by Anonymousreply 74January 22, 2020 11:22 PM

[quote]Lots of luxury buildings have it. The Dakota is a famous shitshow of drama.

If there is, it's of a different kind and handled between lawyers.

It's not constant quality of life issues like kids playing ball in the hallway, cooking odours and people slamming doors. Even the most lowly buildings have wild disputes over dumb issues like lobby decor and such.

by Anonymousreply 75January 22, 2020 11:40 PM

No, it's people acting like entitled assholes. That can also make your life miserable. And not always handled between lawyers, either.

by Anonymousreply 76January 22, 2020 11:42 PM

[quote]In a building like that you'll rarely see your neighbors.

Yes you do, they still have common areas like gyms, pools, lounge, elevators, mail room, and HOA meetings you have to attend to get a quorum.

by Anonymousreply 77January 23, 2020 9:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!