Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bernie Sanders Wants to Halt Immigrant Deportations and Dismantle Border Fences Between US and Mexico

[QUOTE]”If someone has been convicted of a terrible, terrible crime, that might be an exception to the rule,” Sanders said. “A moratorium on 99% of deportations is nothing to sniff at, and I think the undocumented community would be very proud of that.“

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 24, 2020 12:19 AM

B-but Datalounge claimed that no Dems wanted open borders...

by Anonymousreply 1January 21, 2020 1:54 AM

He's obviously trying to secure the LATINO vote.

by Anonymousreply 2January 21, 2020 1:56 AM

He's very woke!

by Anonymousreply 3January 21, 2020 1:57 AM

[QUOTE] He's obviously trying to secure the LATINO vote.

Except Latinos who can vote don’t want open borders.

by Anonymousreply 4January 21, 2020 2:38 AM

He’s going to get the nomination and blame racists when he loses.

by Anonymousreply 5January 21, 2020 2:47 AM

Correct R4. The only people who do are woke white people because that way Lupé the maid won't ask for a raise if there's fresh competition coming across the border.

by Anonymousreply 6January 21, 2020 2:50 AM

Latinos don't want this. Only a dumbass would support this. Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 7January 21, 2020 2:57 AM

Bernie Sanders is a fucking opportunistic fraud. I vividly remember Bernie siding with the Republicans against real immigration reform legislation 10 yrs or so ago, saying he was protecting American workers jobs, and then later, he also voted against the auto industry bailout that saved American workers' jobs. All the dumb asses who are supporting him need to ask themselves what he has done in 33 years in Washington? WTF. He worked very hard to sabotage the Affordable Care Act, (successfully) then publicly considered primarying Obama in 2012. He also voted FOR Wall street deregulation. Yes. And do not even get me started on Gun Safety reforms. His record is abysmal. The fact is he can't get along with his colleagues, and if her were accidentally elected he wouldn't be able to do shit with Congress. Of Course the Republicans want him to win the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 8January 21, 2020 2:57 AM

Well, he just lost any chance he had of becoming POTUS.

It's unbelievable how disconnected from the main population Democrats are.

by Anonymousreply 9January 21, 2020 3:00 AM

R8 here. I meant UNsuccessfully. Bernie was not successful in his efforts to sabotage the ACA. He said at the time it "wasn't good enough, and if it passed, then it would weaken chances of ever getting M4A. "

by Anonymousreply 10January 21, 2020 3:00 AM

Has it occurred to any of DL's racist dipshits here that they too are illegal immigrants on illegally occupied territory? Go fuck yourselves.

I might just vote for Sanders because of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 11January 21, 2020 3:04 AM

R11, I might vote for Trump, because of this thread.

(See how stupid that sounds?)

by Anonymousreply 12January 21, 2020 3:07 AM

Fuck off R12 You have nothing intelligent to say. You can't steal land and then close the door on people escaping poverty and violence that we created for them in the first place.

This is as important an issue as any civil rights matter. Period.

by Anonymousreply 13January 21, 2020 3:08 AM

R8 is absolutely correct. Bernie said (correctly, may I add) that open borders would help the wealthy keep wages down. I'm sad he seems to have changed his position.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 21, 2020 3:09 AM

R13 we didn't do shit to Mexico and Central America. They have NO RIGHT to come here. Period.

by Anonymousreply 15January 21, 2020 3:10 AM

R15 According to international law they do.

by Anonymousreply 16January 21, 2020 3:11 AM

[quote]Sanders said. “A moratorium on 99% of deportations is nothing to sniff at, and I think the undocumented community would be very proud of that.“

I am speechless at the stupidity.

Does anyone here think he'll be the next president?

by Anonymousreply 17January 21, 2020 3:23 AM

fr17 He'll never en=ven be the candidate. The DNC will see to that,

by Anonymousreply 18January 21, 2020 3:50 AM

[quote] Has it occurred to any of DL's racist dipshits here that they too are illegal immigrants on illegally occupied territory? Go fuck yourselves.

you've too stupid to be in the conversation. calling Europeans "illegal" immigrants???? Native Americans didn't have "law" as we know it. I'd call you anachronistic but you're too stupid too understand the term.

not to mention the native americans came here too, likely over a land bridge from asia. No one is "indigienous" to North/South america.

by Anonymousreply 19January 21, 2020 4:16 AM

We did, r15, but continue on in your ignorance.

This is how he loses the election.

by Anonymousreply 20January 21, 2020 4:17 AM

This is how we lose.

by Anonymousreply 21January 21, 2020 4:22 AM

I thought the heart attack would be the end of his campaign, but this stubborn old fuck just doesn't know when to quit. One thing about 2024 is that he will finally, truly be too old to run, if he's still with us.

by Anonymousreply 22January 21, 2020 4:25 AM

R22, There's a major political corruption scandal coming to light 1/21/20. Involves a massive rip-off of VT taxpayers by Bernie Sanders. Be forewarned.

by Anonymousreply 23January 21, 2020 4:45 AM

Well, he can say goodbye to winning AZ if he's the nominee. And Texas is definitely out of the question.

by Anonymousreply 24January 21, 2020 4:50 AM

R4, thank you. I'm really dismayed by the media's pandering and stereotyping of Latinos. You'll hear "So-and-so wants open borders, which should appeal to the Latino vote." So all Latinos vote the same? Would you hear any reference to the "white vote"?

by Anonymousreply 25January 21, 2020 5:06 AM

[quote]Would you hear any reference to the "white vote"?

We're sure we don't know what you mean. Who would be silly enough to pander to the white vote?

by Anonymousreply 26January 21, 2020 5:16 AM

This sounds like a brilliant idea to me! - Joe Biden.

In other news, there’s a reddit story about Joe Biden calling game developers “little creeps that make games that teach you how to kill.”

This is starting to remind me of Statler and Waldorf, the two grumpy old man Muppets that sit in the balcony of the Muppet theater and complain about what everyone else is doing. That’s exactly what these two are doing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 21, 2020 5:19 AM

Don’t forget their free healthcare, Bernie! And free childcare and college too!

by Anonymousreply 28January 21, 2020 5:21 AM

[quote]In other news, there’s a reddit story about Joe Biden calling game developers “little creeps that make games that teach you how to kill.”

That's exactly how a man as ancient as Biden would view game developers. So ridiculously out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 29January 21, 2020 5:22 AM

I don’t necessarily disagree with Bernie on this, being a (legal) immigrant myself. At the very least the lethal process for immigration could be vastly improved and far more empathetic. Illegal immigrants WANT to work legally, they want to pay taxes. I pay taxes, contribute to the economy and in exchange I am ineligible for ALL social services and I can’t vote. I am 100% pure profit for this country, I benefit only by being in the US.

by Anonymousreply 30January 21, 2020 5:22 AM

*legal process, NOT lethal process. haha

by Anonymousreply 31January 21, 2020 5:22 AM

All that said, I don’t think campaigning on this statement will help Bernie get the nom or the presidency. He probably should’ve kept quiet on this one for the time being.

by Anonymousreply 32January 21, 2020 5:23 AM

R30, there are a lot of underemployed and underpaid Americans that would like full time work and benefits too. Bernie is shooting himself in the foot with border states.

by Anonymousreply 33January 21, 2020 5:24 AM

Democrats really need to stop pandering to these small niche groups and stick to bread and butter issues. I can tell you open borders is really popular with no one, even Hispanics. If Bernie wins the nomination his bony finger won't stop the constant attacks, it will get ugly.

by Anonymousreply 34January 21, 2020 5:36 AM

Have you ever noticed, all these people with wacky ideas about the border live much closer to the Northeast, and their only border experience is with Canada?

by Anonymousreply 35January 21, 2020 5:39 AM

[quote] you've too stupid to be in the conversation. calling Europeans "illegal" immigrants???? Native Americans didn't have "law" as we know it. I'd call you anachronistic but you're too stupid too understand the term.

not to mention the native americans came here too, likely over a land bridge from asia. No one is "indigienous" to North/South america.

Your stupidity and racism is just a tad embarrassing.

For those of us who actually know what law is, Native American tribes and civilization have had laws, and actually highly complex systems of laws for thousands of years. This is something you should have learned in maybe 5'th grade.

We also wiped out 90% of them for you to be able to sit there and type that bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 36January 21, 2020 5:39 AM

R16

No, they don't. What are you on about?

Refugees have that right under international law, but the vast majority of migrants making their way here lately do not have valid asylum claims.

by Anonymousreply 37January 21, 2020 6:07 AM

It's wild to me when people bring up Native Americans as a reason why we can't keep the country from being flooded by migrants. If we're going to take a lesson from that period in history, we should consider that Native Americans would have been better off, and completely in the right, had they killed every paleface they laid eyes on.

The U.S. had a not quite free-for-all of immigration for centuries, and clamping down on that in the early 20th century was largely pushed by labor activists because that free-for-all was absolute hell for workers.

by Anonymousreply 38January 21, 2020 6:09 AM

There are a number of 'maybes' coming from Bernie's mouth. Sounds like he doesn't really know what he stands for.

by Anonymousreply 39January 21, 2020 6:36 AM

R23

It will sink his chances.

Sick shit. James is exposing him for the commie he is.

by Anonymousreply 40January 21, 2020 6:46 AM

The people coming are economic migrants, not refugees.

by Anonymousreply 41January 21, 2020 7:51 AM

They could could have emigrated to nearby Costa Rica or Belize, which are safe and stable. No, they want to take advantage of the benefits in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 42January 21, 2020 7:53 AM

It’s nice to see that Bernie is trying to lose on purpose

by Anonymousreply 43January 21, 2020 8:19 AM

Just to correct some wrong statements above, regarding what did the US ever do to Mexico or Central America: The US invaded Mexico in 1846. Some background on that: Mexico felt its northern border area was sparsely settled - (a place we now call Texas) - so it invited US citizens to settle there. Once those settlers got there, they decided they didn't want to be part of Mexico and revolted. Mexico never acknowledged it, but Texas declared itself an independent Republic. Eventually the US annexed Texas, and then, because Mexico protested, the US invaded Mexico, drove its armies all the way to Mexico City and then forced Mexico to cede 1/2 of all of its territory (Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California, along with parts of Colorado and Nevada) to the US. The US invaded Mexico again in 1914-1918 during the Mexican Revolution, and helped install a dictator that the US liked and the Mexicans hated, and he ruled for 30 years. The US has invaded Central America numerous times, mostly to provide easy access for fruit plantations and favorable export and labor terms to companies like Dole and United Fruit Company. Panama, Nicaragua, Cuba, Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala have all been invaded by the US or the US has supported militias and juntas in those countries. The name "banana republic" came into existence to describe these countries and what the US has done to them and their countries and their citizens for more than 100 years.

It's fine to be against open borders, without resorting to ignorance and distortion of history to make your points.

by Anonymousreply 44January 21, 2020 8:54 AM

You know, the Republicans falsely claim Dems favor open borders, and no limits or regulations, exposing Amuricans to drugs, gang violence and rapists. The Republicans' message has defined the issue. Bernie is also helping to confirm voters' "worst fears."

by Anonymousreply 45January 21, 2020 1:44 PM

[quote]B-but Datalounge claimed that no Dems wanted open borders...

He's not a Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 46January 21, 2020 2:32 PM

Eric Adams wants to halt the immigration of Iowans to New York City. “Sanctuary City”.

by Anonymousreply 47January 21, 2020 2:40 PM

Mexico would be the most powerful and prosperous country in the world but the americans ruined everything. Mexico will always be doomed because of american imperialism. There is nothing mexicans can do, because what the americans did is irreversible.

by Anonymousreply 48January 21, 2020 2:46 PM

Here in America we are facing a probable future as a corporate police state. But America, with its neo colonialist policies toward developing nations in our hemisphere, helped establish corporate police states all over central and South America, and Mexico. Thank you for your excellent summary of that history, R44.

by Anonymousreply 49January 21, 2020 2:50 PM

I'm tired of this cultural marxist logic that if a country is rich and developed is because they exploited the natural resourses of other countries. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 50January 21, 2020 2:57 PM

[quote]B-but Datalounge claimed that no Dems wanted open borders...

He VERY EXPLICITLY said he was NOT for open borders as recently as November, his reasoning being that open borders would hurt workers in the U.S. If he changed his mind that doesn't mean people in the past were wrong, it means he's changed.

Something tells me he's still officially against open borders, though, just like he was in November:

[italic] “If you open the borders, my God, there’s a lot of poverty in this world, and you’re going to have people from all over the world,” Sanders said at an April town hall in Iowa. “And I don’t think that’s something that we can do at this point. Can’t do it.” [/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 21, 2020 3:01 PM

Every country on this planet was created because one group of people took over land and in many cases conquered/killed/enslaved whoever was living there at the time.

by Anonymousreply 52January 21, 2020 3:07 PM

R49 misspelled Spain and Portugal.

by Anonymousreply 53January 21, 2020 3:24 PM

The Democratic candidates would do well to notice what U.S. voters seem to be obsessed with. They definitely need to make immigration reform a priority. And except for coal miners in West Virginia, almost everyone would like to see a cleaner environment and solar/green energies advanced.

by Anonymousreply 54January 21, 2020 3:43 PM

Any more details, R23 and R40?

by Anonymousreply 55January 21, 2020 3:49 PM

Well I sure would like to see the fucking scandal. And who is James, R40?

by Anonymousreply 56January 21, 2020 8:09 PM

Let EVERYONE in.

by Anonymousreply 57January 21, 2020 10:14 PM

So where's the scandal?

by Anonymousreply 58January 22, 2020 2:14 PM

It wouldn’t be a scandal until Bernie won the nomination and migrant caravans started marching to the border nonstop again, R58. No Democrat would dare attack him over this, but for Trump it’s the stuff of wet dreams.

by Anonymousreply 59January 22, 2020 3:36 PM

Perhaps he's seeing the big picture. The reason businesses are not held accountable for hiring illegal workers is because the consequences of enforcing the law is mass deportations, which is bad for optics. If we're able to enforce the law and hold these businesses accountable, most economic migrants will self deport.

[quote] Illegal immigrants WANT to work legally, they want to pay taxes. I pay taxes, contribute to the economy and in exchange I am ineligible for ALL social services and I can’t vote. I am 100% pure profit for this country, I benefit only by being in the US.

It's not pure profit. It's frequently a net loss as their children (many of whom are born on American soil) and other family members are considered dependents.

by Anonymousreply 60January 22, 2020 4:03 PM

What about American workers? They want to work too. If an infinite number of immigrants are allowed to come in, wages will drop even further, and less educated Americans will be unemployable. That’s happening already in factory work, maid work, and other fields where uneducated Americans can find work. It may be a win for South Americans, but it’s a lose for Americans.

We can’t support the whole South American continent by ourselves. You’d be better off trying to do something about the strife in South America, if anything can realistically be done without being called out for interfering.

R57, let’s take your job away and give it to an immigrant that will work for less.

And what would be the political ramifications of letting unlimited immigration into the U. S.? Unlimited Republican Presidents. Remember Trump? More of that, forever, until we’re emigrating to South America to escape.

Bernie Sanders is an anarchist, not a Democrat. He doesn’t give a damn about the consequences of anything, he just likes to pontificate and try to use American workers‘ lives as political bargaining chips.

by Anonymousreply 61January 22, 2020 4:41 PM

R23 / R40, come back and tell us more.

by Anonymousreply 62January 22, 2020 6:39 PM

You don’t know bullshit when you see it, R62?

by Anonymousreply 63January 22, 2020 6:47 PM

I've been bombarded with enough foreign Bot action over the past four years to recognize those trolls when I see them, and Bernie's are working overtime. No doubt in my mind he's getting foreign help.

by Anonymousreply 64January 22, 2020 9:34 PM

R55

Two of Bernie’s supporters have been videotaped praising the Soviet gulags, vowing to murder Republicans, and send Republicans off to reeducation camps.

Since that seems to be the core ideology of his supporters, I hope to God he doesn’t win.

by Anonymousreply 65January 23, 2020 1:20 AM

Oh come on now. No Bernie, just no.

But hopefully now he will drop in polls with this stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 66January 23, 2020 2:48 AM

This would only effect him in a general election, R66. Among many Democrats, this is music to their ears. Biden would never go after him over it, so it won’t generate any serious attention.

But should Bernie get the nomination, everyone will know about his godawful immigration plans, including the decriminalization of illegal border crossing. It will be nightmarish having to defend this stuff with him as our standard-bearer.

by Anonymousreply 67January 23, 2020 2:58 AM

Bernie is making progress with Black voters under 30 and it accounts for his poll numbers being slightly upo. It really pisses me off. He is such a fucking phony.

by Anonymousreply 68January 23, 2020 1:57 PM

The people really driving his numbers up are Latinos. Whether or not it’s the policies like the ones quoted in OP that are pushing them towards Bernie, we can’t say just yet.

by Anonymousreply 69January 24, 2020 12:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!