Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nostalgic video games from your childhood

If you grew up with them, what were your favorites? As a little kid in the '90s, I spent an ungodly number of hours playing "Banjo Kazooie" on Nintendo 64. I played a bit of it on my friend's X-Box recently for the first time in decades, and it was still as fun as I remembered it being. "Zelda" and "Mario Kart" for the N64 were other mainstays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 24, 2020 7:52 PM

Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Centipede. Ah, youth.

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2020 9:45 PM

Alex the kidd

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2020 9:48 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2020 9:51 PM

Centipede was the best.

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2020 9:55 PM

Asteroids. I was the champion Where I worked. Great game.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2020 9:58 PM

CREATURES 1 through 3 from the late ‘90s, which I played on Windows PC on a borrowed disc because I was a poor kid and also kind of a dork that way.

I just rewatched the intro tutorial and now realise how ahead of its time this series was as one of the world’s first AI games. Every feature is fine-tuned to alter th me playing experience, and the simulation algorithms are as graceful as some you see in games released today. There’s an incredible poignancy and maturity in how the game progress won’t let the player shy away from Death. It’s beautifully designed and conceptualised, too, boasting an entire alien world in captivating detail (I would compare it to RAYMAN in this respect).

Of course all that went over my head as a gradeschooler who just thought Norns were the cutest most realistic virtual pets (though I secretly liked Ettins better), and who never got a Tamagotchi for Xmas. I must have been a big fan of the virtual pet genre in general as I also remember having an active Neopets account back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2020 11:08 PM

This is the closest thing we had to a video game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2020 2:44 AM

R6 I remember that!

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2020 5:50 AM

I was so addicted to Donkey Kong in middle school! I would steal change from my father’s stash and go down to the local pizza parlor and hang out there all day with my quarters in a row above the game. One time my friend Suzy wanted to come with me but didn’t have any money. I told her to go into her mothers coin purse and take a few quarters. Then she told her mother on me. I didn’t like her so much after that.

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2020 5:57 AM

What is video game?

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2020 5:59 AM

Fail, imposter at R10. If you must to do it, do it right. And you apparently can't, so don't.

I liked Marble Madness & Addams Family. Used to rent them from Video Junction.

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2020 6:29 AM

PaRappa the Rapper for PlayStation 1.

I couldn't wait to get home from school to play it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2020 7:29 AM

When I was a little kid and I got an Atari 2600 my favorite game was Pitfall and then I stopped playing videogames until I got a PS1 and my favorite game then was Castlevania: Symphony of the Night recently an independent game company ran a kick starter campaign for a game in a similar style but with much better graphics called Blood Stained and it is a really good game and because it's modern there will soon be DLC to make it replayable.

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2020 10:40 AM

Video games didn't appear until I was 19. These were the first:

Pong

Pac Man

K C Munchkin

Donkey Kong

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2020 10:46 AM

They didn’t have video games when u were a child! Only the RCA Victoria you had to crank .

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2020 2:43 PM

Wolfenstein 3D. Killing Nazis and finding treasure and secret passages.

by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2020 3:20 PM

My two favs were Joust and Defender. I was really good at both of them. Oh, the time I killed at the local arcade, back in the early 80s!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2020 4:05 PM

[quote] Only the RCA Victoria you had to crank .

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2020 4:45 PM

R17, I was horrible at Joust, though still played it.

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2020 5:43 PM

R17 r18. I thought JOUST was really hard! You had to have the higher sword when you collided, then you had the get the eggs before they hatched, then the lava troll, and that invincible pterodactyl! It was way too much.

Trivia: I noticed that Defender, Joust, and Robotron all had the same catalog of sounds because they were made by Williams entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2020 6:47 PM

Street Fighter 2. My older brother always beat my ass but I kept coming back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2020 6:56 PM

On Nintendo NES I loved Castlevania, Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt. This one we could play with a plastic orange gun! It was fun.

On Super Nintendo: Zelda, Street Fighter 2, Super Bomberman (the one thing I could beat my brother at by playing like a maniac with a death wish), Starwing and Pilotwing. My all time favorite was Secret of Mana. I loved the story, the universe, the characters and the creatures. But someone stole our cartridge, and honestly I'm still mad about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2020 8:12 PM

Starfox for SNES

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2020 9:31 PM

Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask

Crash Bandicoot

FFVII

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2020 9:46 PM

R23 Damn, this took me back! Especially the soundtrack/sound effects!

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2020 9:50 PM

I also spent an ungodly number of hours playing 'Banjo-Kazooie'. Click Clock Wood remains one of my favourite levels of any game - I remember loving the silent desolation of the winter section.

But yeah, I was a big Nintendo fan boy (and still am, although I have less to time to indulge these days). Just hearing the music from Ocarina of Time makes me feel nostalgic. I recently replayed the first Resident Evil on the Switch, having not played it since my GameCube days. It has not aged well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2020 9:58 PM

I always found BEYOND GOOD & EVIL a lovely game to play. Gameplay was way too hard & tiring and some thought the ending was bullshit, but the game was universally praised for its beauty and characterisation as well as imaginative world-building. Jade was my crush as a kid, I loved how cool she acted in tough situations and how she could kick ass with that double Bo Staff (the dream-Dyke cyberpunk look helped too).

I have never played or watched the sequel (not into games as an adult) so I don’t know what the outcome of the ‘Jade is the Domz/Pey’j is infected with Spore’ plot was, and I’m afraid to find out given how much of a decline Ubisoft have been in since...

And I forgot how gorgeous the music is. Christophe & Patrice Heral composed it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2020 10:16 PM

i loved playing Castlevania on the Nintendo, also Tetris, Super Mario 2

On playstation i liked playing Cool Boarders and Crash Bandicoot

by Anonymousreply 28January 20, 2020 12:28 AM

As far as arcade games my favorite was Centipede it was the only one I played when I saw a machine somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 29January 20, 2020 5:08 AM

I was a Galaga fiend!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 20, 2020 5:20 AM

Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, Eternal Champions, Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown

by Anonymousreply 31January 20, 2020 5:25 AM

Anyone remember colecovision? That's what I had. Sorta like choosing beta over vhs.

There was an underwater game that was fun. Can't remember the name.

Donkey Kong Jr was cool.

by Anonymousreply 32January 20, 2020 5:40 AM

The best

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 20, 2020 5:43 AM

Dig Dug was my jam.

by Anonymousreply 34January 20, 2020 6:08 AM

Does Merlin count?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 20, 2020 7:45 AM

r35 I had one of those!

by Anonymousreply 36January 20, 2020 3:17 PM

I got an original Game Boy at age 10 when it first came out in '89. I was obsessed with the Final Fantasy games for that platform. The first one in particular had a great story.

by Anonymousreply 37January 20, 2020 3:22 PM

Sea Quest, R32?

by Anonymousreply 38January 21, 2020 5:24 AM

Nevermind, that was Atari.

by Anonymousreply 39January 21, 2020 5:38 AM

Pong.

by Anonymousreply 40January 21, 2020 5:39 AM

Computer games anyone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 21, 2020 5:46 AM

This thread got me thinking of Paperboy. I swore there was a completely separate game for SuperNintendo called Papergirl that someone I knew had. Looking it up all I can find is that you can select to be a paperboy or papergirl.

by Anonymousreply 42January 21, 2020 5:59 AM

The legend of Kage and Paperboy.

by Anonymousreply 43January 21, 2020 8:11 AM

FF (all the numbers!) Silent Hill Resident Evil Parasite Eve Tales of... series Star Ocean Chrono Cross Tekken Soulcalibur Spyro Mostly Japanese, PS1 and PS2 games (except for Spyro) Ohh to be a kid again!

by Anonymousreply 44January 21, 2020 8:36 AM

No name. Just a green screen, central white line, a white ball and 2 small white lines as racquets.

by Anonymousreply 45January 21, 2020 9:54 AM

Defender rocked. I used to kill all the people so I could just fight it out in space.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 21, 2020 10:33 AM

We had a defender game in the garage. Pops used to put em around town as his "side gig"

But before that, Football!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 21, 2020 10:37 AM

Sonic, Altered Beast, Terminator 2, Xena, Crash Bandicoot, Tekken, Medievil and Aliens vs Predator.

by Anonymousreply 48January 21, 2020 11:05 AM

Yes, this was real.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 21, 2020 11:36 AM

Pong!

by Anonymousreply 50January 21, 2020 12:04 PM

My mom was an expert at Home Alone. I'd play for hours with my brother and friends. When we got stuck at the end, trying to hide valuables in the basement, my mom could come in and get us to the next level in two minutes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 21, 2020 7:25 PM

Diablo I and II. I still play them!

by Anonymousreply 52January 22, 2020 2:41 AM

Pitfall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 24, 2020 12:57 PM

Angry birds kept my little fingers occupied.

by Anonymousreply 54January 24, 2020 1:17 PM

Q*bert was one of my faves. Donkey Kong Jr. was also the bomb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 24, 2020 1:23 PM

I was obsessed with Paperboy. I liked that so much more than all those dark games set in outer space. On Atari, Jungle Hunt, Haunted House, and River Raid were a few of my favorites. Later on when we got a Nintendo, it was Super Mario, Castlevania, Mega Man, & Rad Racer.

by Anonymousreply 56January 24, 2020 2:32 PM

N64 Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire!

by Anonymousreply 57January 24, 2020 2:43 PM

Frogger. My commute to work is very similar to the game.

by Anonymousreply 58January 24, 2020 6:35 PM

My li'l gay ass loved playing Ms. Pac-Man on the tabletop console that you could sit at.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 24, 2020 6:39 PM

A Boy and His Blob

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 24, 2020 6:58 PM

R59 - We had one of those. I posted earlier that Dad used to buy those games and put them in small businesses around town (gas station, laundromat..) Whenever that Pac Man showed up at the house, it would be a party.

by Anonymousreply 61January 24, 2020 7:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!