Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

OMG: Braiding your hair is cultural appropriation

WTF. Apparently people with braids are yelled at for "stealing" "culture". That's like saying piercings are cultural appropriation. What does it say about a culture/cultures if ... knotting hair... is fiercely claimed as part of a culture/cultures? How bereft of real substance is there in those culture(s) that they have to desperately claim a manner of ... knotting hair?

Also, who cares. Cultural appropriation is a silly concept.

And why even do it? It's gross: when you braid, you're blocking segments of hair from being fully cleaned when you wash your hair. Microscopic detritus and residues get stuck between and in the knots. Why would a pretty girl do that? Especially those styles where you can see lines of bare scalp. It's gross in the way the honeycomb surface of tripe are gross—that weird biological grossness akin to the fear of clusters of holes, trypophobia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223September 6, 2021 5:47 AM

Ummm, we’ll discuss when Beyoncé stops wearing blonde weaves.

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2020 3:32 PM

Anyone wearing dreds is culturally appropriating the practices of Skid Row.

Anyone wearing pants needs to take them off and put back on the skin dresses.

Anyone crying cultural appropriation has none.

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2020 3:39 PM

it's really only fair that Asians are allowed to braid any way that they want when you consider the FACT that almost all of the hair on black people's heads being braided originally came from Asians.

funny how literally wearing parts of poverty stricken people on their heads never is addressed.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2020 3:44 PM

It's absurd. Next it's going to be "Lip gloss is part of our culture because when we grew up everyone swiped Lip Smackers from Rite Aid."

GTFOH.

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2020 3:47 PM

R3, mostly South Asians these days. Just to clarify.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2020 3:49 PM

Wiping one's ass with one's left hand is going to be claimed soon.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2020 3:52 PM

I'm not giving that one up, R6.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2020 3:54 PM

Right, it's Friday. I was wondering why there were so many idiot trollbait threads this morning.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2020 3:56 PM

African style braiding is hard enough on African hair types. It's absolute murder on weaker types of hair. But if you want to go bald in the name of fashion, it's up to you.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2020 3:57 PM

She was upbraided for braids.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2020 3:58 PM

R8, you're the only one who thinks that way. Actual DLers get it.

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2020 3:59 PM

What about French braids? Like the ones in “Little Women?”

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2020 4:03 PM

What about me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2020 4:06 PM

I wondered that too, R12.

SJWs tend to take concepts that have a grain of truth to them, overextend them, and ultimately run them into the fucking ground.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2020 4:15 PM

That’s just pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2020 4:17 PM

R14 can you stop using the term SJW and just call them n*gger lovers like you really want to, ok?

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2020 4:19 PM

People of all cultures have braided their hair. Just as every culture has a food that’s dough stuffed with meat or vegetables. It’s a HUMAN thing that all humans have done since civilization began.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2020 4:21 PM

Yikes, R16 - extreme extrapolation. Did someone braid the pubes?

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2020 4:23 PM

The hairbraiders in the Caribbean are like what are you telling my customers?

In the Caribbean it's a thing. They ask you if you want your hair braided. A dollar a braid or whole head braided. I wonder how these cultural appropriation accusers feel about regular people wearing braids? Not famous people who will make money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2020 4:23 PM

No r18 just stating truths

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2020 4:24 PM

It's so gross-looking, I can't believe anyone wants to claim it for anything. It's about 10% as gross as ceremonial scarring. GTFO.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2020 4:31 PM

The way I clip my fingernails: cultural asset I'll protect to the death.

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2020 4:35 PM

And Yet many dark skinned people BLEACH their skin and DYE their hair BLONDE

and yet many whites TAN their skin to appear darker

The grass is always greener on the.....

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2020 4:38 PM

As usual most of you don't understand why people complain about cultural appropriation. It's when fashions and trends started by people of color are ignored for the most part and become hip hot and hsppening when white people discover them and you ignore where the trend came from. Case in point, Bo Derek. When she wore her hair in braids in the movie 10, it became a hot sensation with women running out to get this hot hairstyle. Black woman have been wearing their hair like this for decades and were either ignored or deemed inappropriate. You can't blame Bo, she just wanted a new hairstyle. It was the reaction from other white folks that was fucked up. So if can't understand why people of color get pissed over this then you just don't want to know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2020 4:39 PM

That picture is gross, R24. Not the girl, but that ... where is the rest of her hair? What's that from?

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2020 4:43 PM

R24, people complain about "cultural appropriation" because they are idiots who want something to feel outraged and important about.

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2020 4:48 PM

That’s Ethel Barrymore, from the silent film PEG O’ MY HEART.

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2020 4:49 PM

R25 and r26 are you both 12 yrs old?

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2020 4:56 PM

So did people go apeshit accusing Beyonce of cultural appropriation when she wore kimonos a few years ago? When she does it, it's "raising the bar on the kimono". Never mind that women and girls in Japan regularly wear kimono outside as daily wear or pair it with modern clothing as daily wear. If you're going to get your panties in a twist then at least apply it equally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2020 4:57 PM

The ancient Greeks were culturally appropriating from 21st-century black women centuries and centuries ago!

How dare they!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2020 5:00 PM

She might as well be turning the fire hoses and attack dogs on black civil rights protesters in Birmingham!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2020 5:05 PM

I'm convinced white folks don't want to know or learn anything. You just want to snark and think you know everything.......

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2020 5:07 PM

Black duck white duck squabbling in barnyard over a June bug.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2020 5:12 PM

When do the TEARS STOP?!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2020 5:13 PM

Ignorance is bliss......

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2020 5:14 PM

R32 Stay pressed, Hunty!

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2020 5:14 PM

How DARE SHE, R34!

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2020 5:23 PM

What kind of braid is that in R34? Does it use four strands? In America we use three.

Hers looks unnatural, and disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2020 5:26 PM

This low level shit is all devised to keep disenfranchised people of ALL colors chasing their tails. Any day Twitter is riled up about braids or chopsticks etc is a great day for the top 5%. It's so much easier to lie in bed and fire off tweets about shit that most working people don't have the luxury to contemplate than to go knock on doors or even get your ass out to vote.

by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2020 5:30 PM

R36: ignorance is bliss.......

by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2020 5:34 PM

I remember when Bo Derek wore those cool Bahama braids in the movie '10' --- OMG! There was an uproar about cultural appropriation then. And that was a hundred years ago! I never understood the cultural appropriation thing. Wouldn't that be a perfect opportunity for some Bahamian entrepreneur to open a shop? Or am I just looking at dollar signs...

by Anonymousreply 41January 17, 2020 5:39 PM

You can all fuck right off!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 17, 2020 5:44 PM

I love how those who whine about "cultural appropriation" can never actually explain just what it is they're offended about. All they can respond with is vague sentimental waffle like "you just don't understand what black women have to put up with" or "ignorance is bliss" and similar such nothing responses.

by Anonymousreply 43January 17, 2020 5:52 PM

I think the Vairst Letty is appropriating Asian eyes...

by Anonymousreply 44January 17, 2020 6:00 PM

I've already been outraged three times today. May I pencil this in for next Wednesday?

by Anonymousreply 45January 17, 2020 6:08 PM

I see that we're breaking out that same tired page from the alt-right playbook here.

Find a crazed "SJW" (because social justice is a bad thing now apparently?) with an unusually extreme viewpoint and shine every spotlight you have on that incident.

Just don't pay attention to the voter suppression efforts, massive tax breaks on wealthy parasites, detention camps for immigrants, the dismantling of consumer and labor protections, destruction of our environment, mass incarceration of black americans for non-violent drug offenses, attempts to roll back queer equal rights protections, etc. etc.

Them Ess Jay Dubyas said sum a dat stuffs that I don' like on the Tweeter machine! Dangit. Keep 'murica great! Praise be to Jesus! MAGA!

by Anonymousreply 46January 17, 2020 6:20 PM

R24, not sure I'm following you. Are POC angry that Bo got attention and then forgot to say the style was African or are they just mad that it was copied and given attention where none had been given before?

I recall loving the beaded braid look as a child and when I was in the USARMY, my black platoon mates would often braid my hair in cornrows (they asked me if they could do it) before inspections so I wouldn't get 'gigged' and have to miss any weekend pass opportunities.

This whole 'cultural appropriation' nonsense is just that. Where would we be as humanity if people didn't culturally appropriate iron-making or agriculture?

by Anonymousreply 47January 17, 2020 6:20 PM

R46, this is a message board. Lots of threads to choose from.

by Anonymousreply 48January 17, 2020 6:23 PM

Cultural a. is just another bankrupt concept that the rest of the world laughs at. It's done for in a year, tops.

by Anonymousreply 49January 17, 2020 6:24 PM

It depends, of course, on the kind of braid. I know a very blond, 60-ish hippie white professor, who wears dreadlocks. She looks ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 50January 17, 2020 6:31 PM

RTD

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 17, 2020 6:40 PM

This is about 10 people (oddly enough, usually white women) with no social life or friends who start these stupid cultural appropriation debates. They're not a majority and they'll never win because they're mentally unhinged. Back in the day, they'd have been that random crazy who writes an op-ed for a local newspaper, but because of Twitter, it makes it seem like they're much more powerful than they are. I just hope people don't cave to their silly demands.

We're called a melting pot for a reason. Non-POC can braid their hair if they want, non-Latin people can wear hoop earrings, non-Italians can cook lasagna, etc. Who cares? I can see if someone comes out and tries to say they invented these things, but if a normal girl is wearing a kimono to the grocery store and minding her own damn business, who gives a shit? Remember those idiots that came after that girl wearing the Asian inspired prom dress and a lot of real Asians actually applauded her for it? That just goes to show you how out of touch these Twitter people are.

by Anonymousreply 52January 17, 2020 7:14 PM

I love you, R52. I love the melting pot, too.

by Anonymousreply 53January 17, 2020 7:18 PM

What a fucking shitty thing to be worried about. Many cultures around the world braided their hair. From the Greek to Native people of the Americas. Braiding one’s hair is not a concept that belongs to one culture or region.

The SJW is most likely a troll and probably racist against Asians.

by Anonymousreply 54January 17, 2020 7:18 PM

Won't stop braiding my pubes.

by Anonymousreply 55January 21, 2020 8:30 PM

[quote]Ummm, we’ll discuss when Beyoncé stops wearing blonde weaves.

Oh no, don't you REALIZE that black people cannot culturally appropriate, because they were brought here as SLAVES and have to adopt the ways of the TERRORISTS who did so just to SURVIVE?

by Anonymousreply 56January 21, 2020 8:34 PM

Poor Beyoncé, it must be terrible to be a slave and have to struggle to survive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 21, 2020 8:45 PM

Here’s another one of those cultural appropriators, stealing African American hairstyles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 21, 2020 8:47 PM

In his column called "The Ethicist" in the NYTimes this week, the British-Ghanaian philosopher Kwamé Anthony Appiah (who used to teach at Princeton and is now at NYU) points out the whole idea that culture can be appropriated (which means that it can be owned by someone in the first place) smacks of the worst kind of neoliberalism.

[quote] The point is that “cultural appropriation,” as a diagnosis, is decidedly unhelpful. The metaphor suggests that a person of one culture is taking something that belongs to people of another culture, and effectively endorses the imperial regime of intellectual property, one founded not in moral considerations but in economic ones. (Casting culture as intellectual property is neoliberalism at its worst.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 21, 2020 8:51 PM

It's only appropriation if you don't give it back, otherwise, it's just cultural borrowing.

by Anonymousreply 60January 21, 2020 10:37 PM

R56, you looked that up just for this thread didn't you? I mean your not actually interested in African American history, right? Of course not.

by Anonymousreply 61January 23, 2020 2:51 AM

Quentin Tarrantino owns this thread. If there’s a person who can be said to be cultural misappropriating cultures left snd right, it’s that dude. Asian and Black cultures are both way used and misappropriated beyond mere paying homage. He’s already admitted to stealing ideas, just not the part about presenting them to White audiences like he improved on that shit.

by Anonymousreply 62January 23, 2020 7:48 PM

r61, you're putting words in someone else's mouth, aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 63January 23, 2020 7:56 PM

Those are braidth, r31.

by Anonymousreply 64January 23, 2020 8:11 PM

More racial antagonism trolling for the 2020 election.

Wake up, people.

by Anonymousreply 65January 23, 2020 8:18 PM

Fuck off R20. Rolls eyes.

by Anonymousreply 66January 23, 2020 8:35 PM

Fuck off, R24. Have black women stop dying their hair blonde then. Cultural appropriation is a pissant fabricated nothingness. I forgot to ask whether I’d said fuck off yet.

by Anonymousreply 67January 23, 2020 8:37 PM

Braids have been worn by women around the world in all continents for millennia. Stuff the cultural appropriation crap.

by Anonymousreply 68January 23, 2020 8:40 PM

Jesus Christ these fake outrage racist troll threads are tired.

by Anonymousreply 69January 23, 2020 8:40 PM

My favorite troll on Datalounge was this poster who once defended black Women wearing blonde hair by linking its ancestry to a tribe of albinos in ancient Africa. LOL

by Anonymousreply 70January 23, 2020 8:49 PM

It’s insane.

Hair knotting as culture. Is there so little that...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 23, 2020 8:53 PM

2.1 million views.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 23, 2020 8:55 PM

America is crazy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 23, 2020 8:56 PM

Biracial guy dismissed the concept of CA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 23, 2020 8:59 PM

*dismisses

by Anonymousreply 75January 23, 2020 8:59 PM

Fuck off troll

by Anonymousreply 76January 23, 2020 9:00 PM

Definitive retort.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 23, 2020 9:32 PM

r64, thethe are altho braidth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 23, 2020 10:11 PM

This self-righteous hot mess has a big mouth and tons to say about this nonsense.

Crazy makeup. Actually a whole lot of crazy in general.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79January 24, 2020 1:32 AM

I especially love how they take things that can be found in most societies as far back as the Ancient world, such as hoop earrings and braids, and then loudly proclaim claim them as solely from "their culture". Semi-literate wankers.

by Anonymousreply 80January 24, 2020 6:56 AM

If black women dye their hair blonde no one in the world will think they invented it and it doesn't become a pop culture trend. In fact most of them do it to look like white women.

by Anonymousreply 81January 25, 2020 1:47 AM

They demand access to that which isn't made for them, and yet no one else can have what's "theirs". Obnoxious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 25, 2020 1:57 AM

This dummy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83January 25, 2020 2:00 AM

I wonder, is this a thing that really bothers people in real life? I've only ever heard it spoken about in online (and generally American) spaces. I suppose it could be a thing in universities, but I kind of think that's expected as they are places where generally young people are learning to develop their thinking and it makes sense that not all their arguments are properly constructed yet. But I can't imagine someone telling another person off for "cultural appropriation" in every day life. Not if they were sane at least. This comes across like one of those issues designed to stir people up, but with no good outcome for anyone. Either you get pissed off because people are "appropriating" and you want them to stop, or you get pissed off because it's another crazy "woke" idea. None of it helps improve society, but I suppose it's easier to focus on this than doing things that will actually make a difference. Why work for years against racism when you can just tell a white person to stop braiding their hair? (which, ugh, is ridiculous. My ancestors are Irish and Scandinavian and braiding and dreadlocks have been part of those cultures for centuries.)

I don't think it'll ever be able to go too far because humans have been adopting each others' cultures since forever. Nothing really belongs to anyone, and if you go into people's DNA we're all a mix of everything anyway. To implement cultural appropriation rules is either going to involve looking at people and deciding based on their looks what they are allowed to do or not; or, because you can't always tell someone's background from their looks, you will have to go by DNA. Either option seems very sinister to me. The people who argue that people shouldn't appropriate other cultures, if they got their way, would end up with a horribly segregated (and unworkable) society, which I'm sure is not what they are after.

I consider myself a cosmopolitan. Everything - art, music, food - becomes more lively, interesting and awesome when we mix together as far as I'm concerned. I've participated in a lot of things considered part of other people's cultures, and the people from those groups only ever respond positively. People LIKE sharing their cultures with others and they like it when others are excited about it. I'm reminded of that girl, mentioned above, who went to her prom in a Chinese style dress. People from China loved it, it was just certain Americans who got upset. And by the way, that is a great example of how things can't be restricted to one culture, as the style of dress she wore was a form that arose in the 1920s, inspired by a mixture of traditional Chinese dress with western styles (more form-fitting than the traditional dress).

It just seems ridiculous to me. Anyone remember that professor, Randa Jarrar, who was in trouble awhile ago for making happy tweets about Barbara Bush's death? Well, she wrote an article a few years ago called "Why I Can't Stand White Belly Dancers", and it is such a badly researched article. She doesn't understand the first thing about the history of belly dancing; it's just a platform for her to work out her rage issues based on her own past. And worse, when people responded with proper research and historical perspective to show she was wrong, she just wrote another article, titled "Why I Still Can't Stand Belly Dancers" in which she didn't engage with any of these serious responses, instead she created strawmen and made childish, sarcastic responses. And Roxane Gay who curated the articles got in on it, tweeting sarcastic things like: "I truly had no idea belly dancing was so important to white people". You think, aren't these people supposed to be academics, and they can't even engage with opposing points of view?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 25, 2020 10:41 PM

R82 that is the height of ignorance and hypocrisy, demanding Korean makeup to include makeup for Black skin. Unless the makeup line is marketed for Western consumers it doesn't have to do shit to accommodate a few lunatics.

by Anonymousreply 85January 25, 2020 11:01 PM

Tibetan nomads also traditionally braid their hair – it is not exclusive to African culture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 25, 2020 11:11 PM

R84 There is a double standard, I didn't see Black women shouting down Bey when she was in her brief kimono phase. You're also right that in Asia they tend to view it not as appropriation but as homage or at very least bad imitation.

by Anonymousreply 87January 26, 2020 12:06 AM

It makes me so angry. The idiocy and entitlement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 26, 2020 12:10 AM

I saw a conversation online recently where someone mentioned that braids and dreadlocks historically exist across many cultures and someone wrote back: "but it is appropriation because black people are discriminated against because of their hairstyles" and mentioned a poor kid who is being denied his graduation until he cuts his hair. The thing I wonder is, how does demanding other people no longer be allowed to wear braids or dreadlocks actually help this kid in any way? How does it stop racial discrimination? Is he suddenly going to be allowed to graduate with his hairstyle if no people from other backgrounds style their hair the same?

This conversation came up in relation to this article from a couple of days ago. From my perspective the only concern here should be that it looks UGLY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 27, 2020 12:39 AM

The problem is as ridiculous as that model looks in r89, it's still considered hip fashion. But there are black people who get fired for wearing their hair in braids (not like the pic in r89 so don't) and black kids are being thrown out of schools and sports teams for wearing their hair in braids.

by Anonymousreply 90January 27, 2020 2:03 AM

We demand and deserve to do/be/have/appropriate everything you do/are/have. But you can't do/be/have/or appropriate anything that's ours!

by Anonymousreply 91January 27, 2020 2:06 AM

Someone better go sue ll those old Vikings then.

by Anonymousreply 92January 27, 2020 2:20 AM

Hey asshole, no one cares if you braid your hair...no one cares, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 93January 27, 2020 2:25 AM

Obviously you do if it's got you this pressed ^^^

by Anonymousreply 94January 27, 2020 2:38 AM

[quote] I'm convinced white folks don't want to know or learn anything. You just want to snark and think you know everything.......

And yet, troll-dar reveals that YOU are snarking up and down this entire thread!

What a hypocrite you are!

by Anonymousreply 95January 27, 2020 2:43 AM

Dumb clip @ R72. Claiming their braids are all about black culture. LOL, while they weave in reams of long, straight hair appropriated from dirt poor East Indians. Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 96January 27, 2020 3:33 AM

You can't have it both ways. Hyper-wokeness is full of idiotic hypocrisies

by Anonymousreply 97January 27, 2020 4:23 AM

Jeans were invented by white people. According to the rules of cultural appropriation, all brown and black peoples are all guilty of cultural appropriation when they wear jeans.

by Anonymousreply 98January 27, 2020 4:53 AM

R95: right and just keep on following me

by Anonymousreply 99January 27, 2020 5:30 AM

And blacks straightening their hair is called what?

by Anonymousreply 100January 27, 2020 5:33 AM

Those issues brought up in R90 are absolutely problems in society that need to be fixed. Some people seem to be claiming that the best way to fix these problems is to stop people who aren't black from styling their hair the same way, which makes no sense. That won't fix the problem, the systems that discriminate need to be scrutinised and criticised instead.

by Anonymousreply 101January 27, 2020 5:38 AM

This fat chick is truly moronic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102January 27, 2020 5:39 AM

Reminder that the left also hates gays and Jews. The Left is as gruesome as the Right now.

by Anonymousreply 103January 27, 2020 5:48 AM

Someone needs to appropriate the culture of silent monks and STFU about stupid shit like this.

by Anonymousreply 104January 27, 2020 5:51 AM

R104 QED.

by Anonymousreply 105January 27, 2020 5:54 AM

[quote] Someone needs to appropriate the culture of silent monks and STFU about stupid shit like this.

Why do elderly dataloungers like to argue about this. How exactly does it affect your lives?

[quote] Reminder that the left also hates gays and Jews. The Left is as gruesome as the Right now.

Yawn. Random youtubers are not passing anti gay legislation nor can you attribute any and every bit of youtube nonsense to liberalism.

by Anonymousreply 106January 27, 2020 6:00 AM

R106 Are you appropriating elderly dataloungers now? Geezus, shut up.

by Anonymousreply 107January 27, 2020 11:55 AM

It's o-tay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108January 27, 2020 12:07 PM

Yep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109January 27, 2020 12:08 PM

R102 that makeup is cultural appropriating Jem and the Holograms

by Anonymousreply 110January 27, 2020 5:52 PM

R110 it's truly outrageous!

by Anonymousreply 111January 27, 2020 7:17 PM

R110 in the 2010s JEM comic-book reboot, they drew anorexic blue-haired Caucasian Stormer anew as a fat POC lesbian with natural hair. Then they gave her girlfriend, skinny milk-white Kimber, the dreads/rows.

I’m not saying it was a bad change - if anything it made the art more visually interesting and gave lesbians some broader representation. It was just a weird conspicuous choice, especially for the hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 27, 2020 7:18 PM

If a black gurl straightens her nappy hair, is that cultural appropriation? Or does this shit just flow one way?

by Anonymousreply 113January 27, 2020 7:24 PM

The shit flows one way

by Anonymousreply 114January 27, 2020 7:53 PM

I swear every time I see people talk about cultural appropriation, they are using a different definition of it. I thought it was the phenomenon where a minority group have done something for years that suddenly becomes "fresh" and "cool" and "popular" when the majority start getting involved in it. In this video below they seem to be implying it relates to creating offensive stereotypes of people. Others use it as a fancier way of saying "racism".

The whole thing seems ridiculous to me. Societies problems aren't going to be solved by us all segregating ourselves. As pointed out above, white and asian people being no longer able to braid their hair isn't going to make the struggles of black people any easier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 27, 2020 8:15 PM

So ^^^^ link wants complete segregation. Such idiocy .

by Anonymousreply 116January 28, 2020 7:27 AM

College aged women are the only ones talking about cultural appropriation.

by Anonymousreply 117January 28, 2020 12:44 PM

The common denominator is bitterness about lack of sex.

by Anonymousreply 118January 28, 2020 12:51 PM

Yesterday I listened to a podcast on this topic, and yes, they were college aged (and attending) women. I wanted to hear their perspective, particularly as these were black women talking about it. Usually it's white women talking on behalf of all other groups. But it was just as ridiculous as you might think. They started off saying: "We're going to talk about something very scary today: cultural appropriation" and they kept saying how scary it was, and I legitimately thought they were joking, but no they were serious. And then one of the girls said that it was completely wrong for a white woman to engage in certain activities, like dressing up as Cleopatra.

Cleopatra was Macedonian Greek! These girls kept saying things that clearly showed they had no understanding of history or culture. I sympathised with their stories of discrimination. It's just that in no way did they show how their demand that white people stop doing things would help solve these issues. And I realised how upset they were getting over something that has no good outcome for them in the end, which I found quite sad.

by Anonymousreply 119January 28, 2020 7:05 PM

Most every day people couldn't possibly care less about this stuff. Talk to real, working class people of color and I can tell you that they aren't getting up in arms about this. They have more important things to worry about. I work in a bar and I hear people talking about this stuff all the time and how silly it is. The only people who care about this are white, cis straight college girls who want to appear woker than thou. By the time they hit 40, they'll probably be far right conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 120January 28, 2020 7:26 PM

That's exactly right; no one in everyday life cares about this stuff at all. That's why, provided you're in a good mood, it's hilarious going on to Twitter to see people get so upset about stuff like this. I checked in yesterday and they were having a meltdown over people saying "spirit animal", as apparently this is cultural appropriation and it hurts "native folk". Which "native folk" they never mention, because I guess to these people, all First Nations peoples are a hive mind who all think the same, even those from cultures that don't have spirit animals. It's just funny seeing people responding like: "yeah, not gonna stop saying it", or "I never said this before, but I'll start saying it now, just because it pisses you off".

by Anonymousreply 121January 28, 2020 7:50 PM

Never underestimate the lengths which some attention-starved will go to in order to be offended by something...he’ll, anything.

by Anonymousreply 122January 28, 2020 7:53 PM

[quote]They started off saying: "We're going to talk about something very scary today: cultural appropriation" and they kept saying how scary it was, and I legitimately thought they were joking, but no they were serious.

This is a common retort now among triggered SJWs. You see it here quite often as well. All you have to do is make a negative comment about a POC celeb and they go batshit, screeching that anyone who doesn't LOVE Beyonce is "afraid" or "threatened" by rich, powerful black people. Uh what? LOL I just think her music is shit. Other than that, I don't think about herat all. She has no impact on my life.

by Anonymousreply 123January 28, 2020 11:57 PM

I don't think much of Beyonce either. Her voice isn't particularly tuneful, her ideas for her music are unfocused, and the visual aspect of her work is mostly taken from better people. When you hear her speak she also sounds as thick as shit. Similarly, I don't really think of her at all apart from that. I'd love someone to go batshit around me after I mention I don't like her. That'd be quite funny.

by Anonymousreply 124January 29, 2020 12:04 AM

OP is a racist POS who should die in a grease fire...

by Anonymousreply 125January 29, 2020 2:26 AM

R125 is a loon. There’s no such thing as cultural appropriation. Sit and spin all day on that shit.

by Anonymousreply 126January 29, 2020 4:25 AM

R125 is Boris. Hi, Boris! How’s Svetlana doing?!

by Anonymousreply 127January 29, 2020 4:50 AM

Can this thread just be left to die a natural death? It just keeps reiterating the same arguments over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 128January 29, 2020 4:52 AM

Oh this is so stupid, but not for the reason everyone thinks.

Reading the comments (yes I'm bored, I have a cold), this singer is in Thailand, specifically Khao San Rd in BKK where all the backpackers hang out and drink beer all day. Some posters are defending it as a Thai tradition (vs African like the OP). I am laughing (and coughing and sneezing).

This Thai braiding had exactly one origin: Bo Derick in 10. It started at the beaches like on Koh Samui decades ago. Hundreds of backpackers away from home for the first time laying on the sand, hung over, inexplicably baking in the sun (Thais prize white, hairless skin) and being approached by vendors. Selling drinks or beaded bracelets or massages right there on your beach mat.... or Bo Derick braids. Takes hours. Now you see it advertised everywhere, in other SE Asian countries but fortunately it's much less popular than in the 90s, at least the whole-head version.

Once thing hasn't changed though, it's the mark of a first time visitor.

by Anonymousreply 129January 29, 2020 5:31 AM

This is an example of the kind of tweets that woman in R84 puts out. Why?! She's so clearly doing it in a pointed and defensive way, but she just comes across as gross.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130February 13, 2020 11:58 PM

I'm fine with stuff like this being labeled as not okay as long as it means white people will stop trying to emulate black culture. I don't understand why you'd ever want to steal from such a trashy group and deliberately try to make yourself look like a hood rat. If this is what it takes for white people to wake up and realize black culture isn't worth copying, then so be it. Leave the ghetto where it belongs: in the ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 131February 14, 2020 12:03 AM

[quote]Also, who cares. Cultural appropriation is a silly concept.

You're even more boring that the apparent SJWs you hate.

by Anonymousreply 132February 14, 2020 12:05 AM

stay 👏 in 👏 your 👏 lane 👏 white folks

by Anonymousreply 133February 14, 2020 12:59 AM

braids with more than three strands look like well-formed bowel movements to me.

by Anonymousreply 134February 14, 2020 1:08 AM

Why do white people even want to look like black people? I'll never understand it, for the same reason I'll never understand why rich people choose to dress themselves like the homeless.

by Anonymousreply 135February 14, 2020 2:04 AM

R89, that's so gross looking. Ugh. Braids are so gross.

by Anonymousreply 136February 14, 2020 4:09 AM

Some Instagram "influencer" is in trouble on Twitter now because she dressed up in some carnival type outfit for Mardi Gras. No amount of assurance from people from the Caribbean that carnivals are all inclusive can stop the gnashing of teeth from the Twitterverse. What has me laughing is that someone literally wrote: "Sad thing is that west Indians are now begging for her to go Carnival instead of seeing the issue". Patronizing, much? Such a good idea! You'd never want someone else to actually go and experience culture and learn about it, it's much better that everyone pillory her. And how sad that people from other cultures don't pay any mind to this segregationist rubbish.

by Anonymousreply 137February 28, 2020 9:27 PM

Say what now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138February 28, 2020 9:34 PM

You know what else is cultural appropriation? Covid-19 prevention!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139March 8, 2020 9:48 PM

Yet another reason to never vote Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 140March 8, 2020 9:59 PM

r140 go suck of Vlad

by Anonymousreply 141March 8, 2020 10:02 PM

Vikings braided their hair. So, did the Egyptians. Native-Americans, etc.. SJW's need to have their fingers and tongues removed.

by Anonymousreply 142March 8, 2020 10:04 PM

fuck Asians like in R139s link. They’re disgusting and spit and blow snots, pick their nose, and eat disgusting and endangered things.

by Anonymousreply 143March 9, 2020 12:35 AM

Someone said something on Instagram!

by Anonymousreply 144March 9, 2020 12:36 AM

^ Correction:

Someone DID say something on Twitter!

by Anonymousreply 145March 9, 2020 12:37 AM

With hypercritical people like this it always boils down to sexual bitterness at the core of their issues. It is always people who are bad in the sack / can’t get laid.

by Anonymousreply 146March 9, 2020 5:41 AM

When a black woman glues a lace front wig full of white Lady hair on her head, is that cultural appropriation?

by Anonymousreply 147March 9, 2020 5:57 AM

Aren't there more important issues to be upset about?

by Anonymousreply 148March 9, 2020 6:02 AM

r 148 yes there are, but the insane wokeratti have permeated our discourse with bullshit like this and it's maddening.

by Anonymousreply 149March 9, 2020 6:07 AM

R102, the fat chick is indeed annoying. Sherliza lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150March 9, 2020 6:28 AM

Some of the thumbnails used on YouTube really crack me up. Here's another from "Sherliza"... I just don't get what this is supposed to convey! 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151September 11, 2020 1:45 AM

“These are non-black braids.” OK. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 152September 11, 2020 1:51 AM

Serious question: How is it not cultural appropriation when a person of color dyes their hair blonde or red?

Or is this only a one way street?

by Anonymousreply 153September 11, 2020 2:47 AM

Look! It’s our President and Troll of DL himself, stopping in to appropriates message board anonymously, designed for pointless bitchery for limousine liberal, elite queers from Hollywood!!!

The same Hollywood elites who never had to appropriate a drag queen’s piss yellow feather boa on the top of their head and comb it over, while looking in the mirror, and appropriating the image of an actual human being, disguised as Big Bird in a suit, wearing lifts for appropriated height!

Twitter must be down. Oh well whatever.🐥🐤🐣🐤🐥

by Anonymousreply 154September 11, 2020 2:49 AM

That girl at R151 wants people to send her dead insects through the mail?

by Anonymousreply 155September 11, 2020 3:08 AM

Ancient Celts and Vikings wore braids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156September 11, 2020 3:18 AM

Hindu sadhus wear dreadlocks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157September 11, 2020 3:22 AM

Weaves are cultural appropriation then.

by Anonymousreply 158September 11, 2020 3:36 AM

Wait till these morons find out Vikings, non black Egyptians, Hindus, Japanese warriors and Norse mythology figures all wore braids.

by Anonymousreply 159September 11, 2020 3:43 AM

That fat chick is super annoying.

by Anonymousreply 160September 11, 2020 3:49 AM

R159, oh don't worry, they have an answer for that too. It's then they start arguing that they're talking about specific braids which apparently only Africans did in the past, despite the fact that cornrow style braids have been found all around the world (the earliest archeological evidence we have for them is actually from France, though of course that doesn't mean it originated from there), and despite the fact that if you could narrow it down to an ethnic group in Africa, surely that would mean that all the other groups from the continent would also be guilty of "appropriation" if they used the same hairstyles. Basically, they'll just keep arguing and arguing, and won't care how nonsensical and ahistorical they are being. They are right because they feel they are right.

I watched a video from an American girl (of course she referred to herself as Jamaican-Nigerian-American - gotta have those hyphens!) who was arguing this very thing in the comments of her video about Adele recently. She actually said at one point: "Even if you don't believe this is true, I know I'm right!" That was her argument. She seemed pretty butthurt actually that non-Americans had been laughing at the idea of "cultural appropriation" and calling it "American nonsense".

by Anonymousreply 161September 11, 2020 6:48 AM

Fans can rejoice, because Sherliza is threatening to do an ongoing series about cultural appropriation here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162September 22, 2020 9:34 PM

She’s the craziest fat chick on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 163September 22, 2020 9:43 PM

Sure, it's valuable to know the origins of things, but this girl at r162 wants a twisted form of segregation of culture. If she is so interested in only using things that originated in your own distant culture, she needs to stop using the internet.

by Anonymousreply 164September 22, 2020 9:59 PM

Former NBA player Jeremy Lin got static from Kenyon Martin (for non NBA fans, Martin was a pretty good player in the 90's and early 2000's) for having braids. Lin stayed classy in his response though he didn't forget to remind Martin he had Chinese character tattoos. I guess Martin must claim Chinese heritage somewhere in his family history.

Did anyone get on Wu Tang Clan for cultural appropriation?

by Anonymousreply 165September 22, 2020 10:07 PM

The music thing is really where I take issue, because there is so much fantastic stuff out there that could not be being made now because people are scared of being accused. Thank god this wasn't happening during the popularity of artists like, say, Kate Bush or someone like that.

by Anonymousreply 166September 22, 2020 10:10 PM

Part 2 of Sherliza's promised ongoing series!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167March 6, 2021 3:13 AM

Oh I wondered what happened to that crazy fat chick, r167. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 168March 6, 2021 3:58 AM

[quote]R21 It's so gross-looking, I can't believe anyone wants to claim it for anything.

Works for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169March 6, 2021 4:11 AM

R168, here she is talking about Armie Hammer. I can't be fucked watching her but in the title she makes it sound like she has personal experience of Hammer's craziness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170March 6, 2021 4:14 AM

Fat goth Sherliza should be a DL icon.

by Anonymousreply 171March 6, 2021 7:38 AM

It’s losers trying to come up with something with which to beat people smarter then they are.

Are Europeans and East Asians upset by it? No, they’re not. Who is?

See.

by Anonymousreply 172March 6, 2021 8:50 AM

What if you braid your pubes?

by Anonymousreply 173March 6, 2021 8:57 AM

I so agree R171!

by Anonymousreply 174March 6, 2021 11:52 AM

Any word from our favorite crazy jumbo goth?

by Anonymousreply 175March 8, 2021 3:15 AM

I looked her up to see what she was doing at the moment, and got some result where someone was saying: "Sherliza Moe, or Michelle Moe..."

Why is she going with "Sherliza" of all names, rather than "Michelle"?

Apparently she has a store where she sells her artistic stuff, but when I tried to go there I got a WARNING! SECURITY RISK! message, haha!

by Anonymousreply 176March 14, 2021 8:07 AM

Isn't straightening hair also culture appropriation? Things that make you go Hmmmmm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177March 14, 2021 9:00 AM

Get back to me when Princess Leia apologizes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178March 14, 2021 9:04 AM

The argument I've heard R177 is that it doesn't go the other way due to systemic issues.

I would argue that there are better ways of promoting racial tolerance and equality than limiting who can wear what hairstyle, but I'm weird like that.

by Anonymousreply 179March 14, 2021 9:26 AM

R177 Question, if a white person with curly hair straightens their hair, do you consider this cultural appropriation of straight hair?

by Anonymousreply 180March 14, 2021 9:57 AM

Butting in here (I'm not R177), but everyone should just do what makes them feel beautiful as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 181March 14, 2021 10:07 AM

Well R18, very few white people have naturally kinky pubic like hair. Curly hair is not the same and even if they did straighten it, they are trying to assimilate with their race in terms of style. There is no naturally straight hair in the black community. So doing so is in fact the same thing as cultural appropriation.

by Anonymousreply 182March 14, 2021 10:08 AM

[quote]The argument I've heard [R177] is that it doesn't go the other way due to systemic issues.

And I call Bull Shit on that argument. Racism works both ways, to deny that and claim people of color sluing with people is some how not the same lacks self introspection and honesty. And doing so smacks of excuses and racism.

by Anonymousreply 183March 14, 2021 10:11 AM

^^ to deny that and claim people of color sluing white people is some how not the same^^

by Anonymousreply 184March 14, 2021 10:13 AM

Blond hair on black people is pretty much cultural appropriation if their descendants came from Africa. There is one small group of black people with naturally blond hair, but they come from a small island near Australia. NOT where the slaves came from that were shipped to the US and Europe, they were 100% African. Even so, that group of Melanasians was know to mix with Native Americans some 800 years ago. And as we know, the Vikings discovered America and mated with Natives long before Columbus set foot in the Americas. That's why some Native Americas also have blue eyes.

by Anonymousreply 185March 14, 2021 10:26 AM

Another pet peeve of mine. Why is a white woman braiding her hair..or even wearing cornrows...when many black women straighten their hair, even dye their hair blonde, an offense to their culture? Isn't that a cultural appropriation of whites? Another example of the "we can do whatever we want...but stay out of our lane" mindset of POC. They take offense to everything and love to bitch about it.

by Anonymousreply 186March 14, 2021 10:26 AM

[quote]hen many black women straighten their hair, even dye their hair blonde, an offense to their culture? Isn't that a cultural appropriation of whites?

YES....But they will never admit to it.

by Anonymousreply 187March 14, 2021 10:29 AM

Aren't all styles of hair and clothing a derivative of different cultures throughout the years? A little bit of this..a little bit of that...in fashion and colors, influenced by cultures.

by Anonymousreply 188March 14, 2021 10:32 AM

Oddly enough, since the new BLM stuff and media companies vowing to hire more people of color, I have noticed a huge percentage of them with straight or even blond hair styles suddenly going very natural and ethnic Afro of some variant. Joy Reid for example started off with straight short hair, then came all the crazy wings. Finally when she got her full time show, someone must have sat her down with a professional stylist and said this it, stop trying to be something you are not.

by Anonymousreply 189March 14, 2021 10:33 AM

[quote]Aren't all styles of hair and clothing a derivative of different cultures.

Yes, but for some reason BLM crowd think you are stealing their look if you dare to braid your hair.

by Anonymousreply 190March 14, 2021 10:35 AM

Everyone can actually do what they want with their hair and 'cultural appropriation' is a nonsense for the most part as far as I'm concerned.

One mistake people are making is thinking this movement is being driven by non-white people. The majority of people you will see talking like this are "white saviour" types. It's very American too and doesn't make a lot of sense when being used as an argument across people from different countries. It's starting to be exported here into Australia though, which is annoying. A friend of mine (a female boxer) got in trouble recently by some Americans because she wore dutch braids in her hair while boxing.

by Anonymousreply 191March 14, 2021 10:36 AM

The piece of shit alt-right crowd think Datalounge is their personal forum for racist fuckery, it seems.

Is there anyone left on Datalounge who isn't a rancid puke?

by Anonymousreply 192March 14, 2021 10:38 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193March 14, 2021 10:41 AM

Most hair used in American wigs and extension is grown in China. The weaves that litter the CHuck E Cheez floor pulled from somebody's head belongs to an entirely different culture. This appropriation is reprehensible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194March 14, 2021 10:45 AM

R182 I think you were responding to me?

[quote] they are trying to assimilate with their race in terms of style.

Historically, can’t the same be said for black people straightening their hair? That this was done to assimilate?

Interesting that you relate kinky hair to pubic hair. Though by the majority of responses in this thread, not surprising.

by Anonymousreply 195March 14, 2021 10:54 AM

[quote]Historically, can’t the same be said for black people straightening their hair? That this was done to assimilate?

NO because you are crossing the CULTURAL barrier line. Fitting in with your own race is different that crossing over another culture. Look I don't have a problem with people doing whatever hair style they want, but if you are going to cry cultural appropriation because white people want to wear dreds or braided hair then I call bull shit on black people who straighten their hair.

I could make the same stupid argument, you did, since white people in America will soon be in the minority isn't braiding your hair in corn rows just trying to fit in?

by Anonymousreply 196March 14, 2021 11:15 AM

[quote]Interesting that you relate kinky hair to pubic hair.

Sorry that dose not fit your PC bullshit. But it's a fact. Interesting that you imply it's racists. I have no hang up with pubic hair. Maybe it's a complement. Bottom line if you can step back from your political social views for 5 minutes and just look at it from a more clinical scientific view, pubic hair on white people dose look like most hair you find on African Americans of color. We are all descendants from Africa anyways so it stands to reason the DNA is the same and some of us have the same type of hear in one place vs another. Kinky hair is kinky hair. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 197March 14, 2021 11:23 AM

R196 specific to America, aren’t we all the same culture? So, in America, if a black person is straightening their hair to better fit in the dominant (white) culture where straightened hair is standard then it is really no different than any other non-Black person doing the same.

Also, I am not crying cultural appropriation. People can do whatever they please to their hair. I just think it is bullshit using the argument that straightening or coloring hair is cultural appropriation too.

Also, I did not expect you to have a hang up with pubic hair. But let’s be real, the likening of pubic hair to tightly coiled hair has been often with negative connotations. Glad to know your description was a scientific one.

by Anonymousreply 198March 14, 2021 11:56 AM

[quote] "Do you know who doesn't care that there's a stereograph of a Chinese man in a Dr. Seuss book? China," he said. "All 1.4 billion of them could give a crouching tiger, flying f*ck. Because they're not a silly people. If anything they're as serious as a prison fight."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199March 16, 2021 4:13 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200March 16, 2021 4:13 AM

[quote] aren’t we all the same culture? So, in America, if a black person is straightening their hair to better fit in the dominant (white) culture where straightened hair is standard then it is really no different than any other non-Black person doing the same.

NO, not if your argument is that white people braiding their hair is "cultural appropriation" of people of color if they all live in America. You can't have it both ways. Either everyone in America is one culture and therefore braiding one's hair is not appropriation or we are separate cultures by race in which case straightening ones hair as a black person is just as much appropriation as braiding is from someone with white skin. The reasons why,such as "fitting in" are irrelevant. People have reasons for everything, including racism, murder or rape, they are all still those things at the end of the day.

by Anonymousreply 201March 16, 2021 5:08 AM

Outrageous: even the elderly are committing cultural appropriation. /s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202March 16, 2021 5:13 AM

That's a sweet video R202, thanks for sharing!

by Anonymousreply 203March 16, 2021 8:00 AM

I noticed recently that my little city in Australia will be celebrating Holi, lots of posters up for everyone to join in the festival of colours. It's lovely sometimes being on the other side of the world from a group of killjoy scolds who would probably demand the event be cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 204March 21, 2021 2:27 AM

I just came across and have no idea if it's true or not, but it made me laugh, considering the biggest proponents of yelling "cultural appropriation" at people are white girls with blue hair...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205April 11, 2021 8:08 AM

Hawaiian shirts are colonial artifacts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206April 13, 2021 1:15 PM

R204, did any protest arise for the celebration?

by Anonymousreply 207April 13, 2021 2:36 PM

None, R207. Lots of people with profile pics of themselves covered in colour and smiling happily. That's it.

R206, I've never liked Hawaiian shirts but just because they're not my style. In the article it says the shirt was born out of using old kimonos and then later took on Hawaiian motifs. I don't quite understand how that is an embodiment of American colonisation?

by Anonymousreply 208April 13, 2021 8:32 PM

Offended people on Twitter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209April 14, 2021 3:13 PM

People on Twitter could stand to go take a walk around the block at the very least. Some fresh air, maybe some interactions with some actual live people. They might stop worrying about Gwen Stefani in a gym and what that supposedly says about racism then.

by Anonymousreply 210April 15, 2021 10:20 AM

Silly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211April 28, 2021 5:08 AM

That's so fucking ridiculous R211. EVERYONE'S hair dreads, and people have been doing it from all parts of the world for millennia.

The thing that annoys me about the "you can be discriminated by school and work for wearing dreadlocks" argument is that yes, it's true, but people who do that DON'T tend to discriminate based on race. They discriminate against ANYONE with that hairstyle.

And anyway, the answer should be to stop discrimination based on hairstyles, not stop certain people wearing those hairstyles based on their skin colour.

by Anonymousreply 212April 28, 2021 10:23 AM

The interesting thing about this latest "furor" is that if you check online comments, they are probably 95% "this cultural appropriation stuff is nonsense" whereas a couple of years ago people seemed to be taking it more seriously. A sign of things to come?

by Anonymousreply 213April 28, 2021 9:52 PM

TikTok: ‘They can’t do it without us’: Black TikTokers strike to protest dance appropriation

Some refuse to choreograph Megan Thee Stallion song, highlighting how white users get credit for Black creativity

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214June 25, 2021 2:43 AM

I just don't know what to think about things like that article above. Probably because at 39 I've aged out of the TikTok generation and I barely understand what's going on.

by Anonymousreply 215June 25, 2021 11:50 PM

Silly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216June 26, 2021 7:26 AM

This makes me wonder: can you copyright a dance routine? And if so, would it be a good idea for these creators to do this before sharing their work on social media?

by Anonymousreply 217June 26, 2021 7:34 AM

Rum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218June 26, 2021 7:36 AM

Gwen Stefani’s whole career. 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219June 26, 2021 7:37 AM

I did say on a previous thread about Stefani that I thought Love. Angel. Music. Baby wasn't a very good album, and kind of embarrassing and weird, and that I found some of the stuff she did around that album awkward and strange, but I do have to say I appreciated her comments in the article above, and it's refreshing for someone* to finally just be like: "Nup. Not apologising." in these circumstances. (*Meaning someone who really isn't the enemy.) I mean, clearly there was no malice in what she was doing, she was just a bit annoying and perhaps naïve in places.

The bindi thing being brought up all the time is more annoying to me, because even I, someone who is not a particular Stefani/No Doubt fan, knows that those were given to her by her boyfriend's mother at the time, who was Indian, and who asked Stefani to wear them. I suppose Gwen was meant to throw them back in her face, snarling: "How DARE you! Do better! It's not my job to educate you!"

by Anonymousreply 220June 26, 2021 7:53 AM

I am sure this is just fishing for views, but it's weird all the same. Sherliza strikes again!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221July 24, 2021 1:46 PM

R221 thanks. God she’s disgusting. How can anyone take her moralizing seriously given that she’s so disturbed? Jeeze. 🤢🤮

by Anonymousreply 222July 24, 2021 5:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223September 6, 2021 5:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!