Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm over "woke" remakes

I loved the original Roswell, and was excited when the remake was announced because the original was only on for 3 seasons, so there's a lot of story left. But, the new show is a bunch of "woke" nonsense about illegal aliens.

Now, there's a similarly woke remake of Party of Five coming out. Plus, all of the gender-flipped remake.

No more!

by Anonymousreply 105January 19, 2020 3:24 AM

Why wasn't Little Women remade to show the trials and tribulations of actual female little people -- what in more savage eras were called dwarfs?

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2020 9:53 PM

I didn't think they could actually make [italic]Saved by the Bell[/italic] any worse, but they did.

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2020 9:56 PM

Add season 3 of The Man In The High Castle to the list of obnoxiously and unneeded woke plot lines.

by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2020 9:59 PM

Disney took the pink out of Elliott the dragon's hair in [italic]Pete's Dragon[/italic] and Piglet's leotard in [italic]Christopher Robin[/italic], so they're retreating to a "blue is for boys, pink is for girls" mentality. That's the opposite of woke.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2020 10:01 PM

Lmao imagine being mad that people that aren’t white are represented.

Fun Fact, whites aren’t as many as you think anymore. Hence why you need to count brown people as white, to keep your numbers up. Lmao.

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2020 11:01 PM

Are any of these dumb "woke" remakes ever a success? Or remakes in general? It seems to me they always fail. People want original material.

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2020 11:09 PM

How long before we get a remake of [italic]Old Yeller[/italic] with all the guns taken out?

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2020 11:09 PM

[quote]Are any of these dumb "woke" remakes ever a success?

No.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2020 11:17 PM

Black Annie made money.

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2020 11:20 PM

There is something very weird going on, I mean, in general I'm OK with the underlying "woke" messages, usually, but the fact that there's been this very obvious, coordinated rollout across ALL media in the last ten years, all preaching the same messages that on surface seem laudable but are shallow as fuck and being pushed to the point that even a lot of sympathetic people are starting to get pissed off and disturbed by it... seriously, wtf is going on? It's very, very weird. I don't buy into conspiracy theories, I subscribe to the belief that what's wrong with the world is usually pretty obvious, but these days I can sort of see why the basement dweller conspiracy theorist types are all in a tizzy about what's going on in the media across all mediums.

by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2020 11:22 PM

Ghostbusters, Heathers and Saved by the Bell own this thread

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2020 11:23 PM

Remaking Heathers was blasphemy. That is one movie that's just perfect.

by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2020 11:32 PM

R5 Why can't they have their own stories? Why do they have to make my shows, that were filled with soapy goodness, into their SJW fests?

by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2020 11:52 PM

R6 Roswell is getting two more seasons.

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2020 11:54 PM

R4 The new version of Pete's Dragon is genuinely good. My sister dragged me to it because she's a big Robert Redford fan, but I ended up liking it.

by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2020 11:55 PM

R13 they are telling their own stories, moron. They aren’t scene for scene remakes. Stupid fuck.

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2020 12:04 AM

Ok, boomers.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2020 12:10 AM

Don't go to Broadway, OP.

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2020 12:13 AM

It's the shallowness of it. If there was the slightest genuine feeling and motive behind it, I think people would respond. But it's just a marketing angle. It's disgusting. People can smell the corruption of it and it's making them lose faith in what are, in fact, good messages.

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2020 12:15 AM

There will be no justice until we get a black Marie Antoinette biopic.

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2020 12:22 AM

Some of you are morons. Proving who the real issue is in America more and more.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2020 12:23 AM

The recent BBC "Women in White" was too woke for me. It was adapted with the idea of attracting Gen Z and millennials who don't read 19th-century novels. I get that "we've come a long way baby" but I'm not getting why the fundamental structure of a classic must be ruptured. The writers could have just changed the characters, modernized it, passed it off as their own and it'd be okay.

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2020 12:28 AM

This all started when they allowed that Latinx girl to play Romona’s big sister in Ramona and Beezus. Did they even explain why she was Hispanic and the rest of the family was white?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2020 12:41 AM

R16 A remake is my definition NOT a new story.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2020 12:41 AM

OP - Are you tired of the endless remakes, reboots, and reimgaginings or the "woke" aspect of it.

They're actually two separate problems in Hollywood right now.

The reboots reflect two driving concerns - lack of imagination coupled with risk aversion. By rebooting a well-known or well-loved property, they dramatically reduce (they think) risk and increase likelihood of initial success as fans of the old version tune in. If the show is good (enough) enough fans may stay. The lack of imagination or new ideas speaks for itself.

The "woke" aspect is an attempt to be relevant for audiences today in order to expand the audience beyond the core audience. It's what they think people want.

Combined, they've created a situation that doesn't seem to satisfy anyone.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2020 12:49 AM

[Quote] Remaking Heathers was blasphemy. That is one movie that's just perfect.

Which most likely means the new Clueless show will be terrible.

[Quote] Roswell is getting two more seasons.

Lucky Carina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2020 5:27 AM

Where does it end?

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2020 5:40 AM

I don't even understand how there's a woke Heathers. The plot of the first movie is Veronica rebelling against the hierarchy of her school. If the students are already woke, what's the point?

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2020 5:44 AM

Just wait for the "woke" Friends remake. People complained so much about diversity, I bet a Friends remake will have it all. Interracial relationships, gays, trans, Chinese, Latinos, Jews, Scientologists...

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2020 8:16 AM

Angry white gay is angry.

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2020 8:26 AM

Nobody cares, grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2020 9:52 AM

If anything, Heathers was anti-woke.

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2020 10:53 AM

I don’t know about all this woke stuff. But today,

Baby It’s Cold Outside.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2020 10:58 AM

I don’t think the issue is different races being represented or having a diverse cast. The issue is these TV shows/ movies seem to use this ‘wokeness’ as a crutch or marketing gimmick. Someone pointed out earlier how it just reeks of capitalism. It doesn’t feel genuine. It’s just a ploy to get people to watch the show. If you look at Broadway/ Theatre you’ll see how bad it’s become. Musicals based on Henry VIII’s wives but with a feminist ‘twist’! Musical based on Romeo and Juliet but with a feminist ‘twist’! ...How groundbreaking... I would be more supportive of these projects if they had an ounce of subtlety. I look to movies like An Unmarried Woman and Norma Rae that tackled ‘woke’ issues but treated the subject matter with intelligence, subtlety and heart.

Remaking beloved TV shows/ movies is just the icing on the ‘woke’ cake. I find it ridiculous that conversations about turning James Bond into a woman were brought up. Why can’t we have a new bad ass female spy? It’s an insult this idea that a minority is only good enough for a remake/ gender switch of a TV show/ movie. There should be original content being made for them (like Atomic Blonde). Hopefully we’re heading int that direction because of the success of Crazy Rich Asians and Moonlight.

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2020 12:24 PM

[quote] Why do they have to make my shows, that were filled with soapy goodness, into their SJW fests?

Roswell and Party of Five were both garbage shows in the first place. Any sort of change would be a step up.

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2020 1:01 PM

But that’s basically every NBC sitcom NOW R29. Every single one. I love Superstore but the parallels are pretty obvious...

- The Good Place

- Superstore

- Perfect Harmony

- Brooklyn Nine Nine

They’re all about work/situational places where people from all backgrounds can interact. Or The Good Place which is a whole separate kettle of fish (like Jami Gertz’ “The Neighbors” on ABC where the neighbors were multi-racial aliens). The most monk-racial show on NBC is... Will & Grace lol

ABC is in a similar vein (Disney generally is too). The Middle was actually a great sitcom (ABC) but never got any awards, accolades, or recognition despite Eden Sher being absolutely hysterical. But it chugged along all the same. Compare that to Blackish or Fresh Off the Boat.

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2020 1:15 PM

Are you upset that Superstore shows different people shopping and working there? Most retail jobs have different people working there and shopping there. ....

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2020 1:27 PM

Not in the Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2020 1:29 PM

Who is that at R26? Looks like a white girl.

by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2020 1:30 PM

The woke version of Charmed is unwatchable dreck.

by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2020 1:32 PM

What part of “I love Superstore” did you not read in my comment, R37?

This is why people get tired of woke shit. It’s meant to appease knee jerk cunts like you that just look to whine on about everything.

by Anonymousreply 41January 17, 2020 1:33 PM

Lmao black people don’t exist in the Midwest? I swear....

by Anonymousreply 42January 17, 2020 1:35 PM

If this is an issue for you, the issue isn’t the show, it’s YOU.

by Anonymousreply 43January 17, 2020 1:36 PM

I'm a Millennial and other Millennials who are into the woke shit just seem crazy and I have observed a definite correspondence between woke views and mental illness. They think the world's lack of wokeness caused their mental illness, I think it's the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 44January 17, 2020 1:41 PM

Showing a Black person working at a store with a white person isn’t “woke”. Nor are you a “Millennial”, because if you were you wouldn’t bring that up. You are also more than half these replies.

by Anonymousreply 45January 17, 2020 1:57 PM

A woke Clueless? Clueless was meant to be woke in the first place. Amy Hekerling said she wrote the movie to be set in a world where everyone was rich, all races were friends, and the parents were caring. She said it was a dream, but it was nice to put it out there. Is Cher Latina now?

by Anonymousreply 46January 17, 2020 2:04 PM

No, Cher is trans black.

by Anonymousreply 47January 17, 2020 2:06 PM

“ and I have observed a definite correspondence between woke views and mental illness”

Shhh....you’re not allowed to mention that.

by Anonymousreply 48January 17, 2020 2:10 PM

What annoys me is the preachiness of it all. If the stories genuinely progressed from the characters and their reactions to their situations, it would be fine, but these stories are being mangled out of shape to accommodate an ideology, and presented in such a way that is lecturing and condescending. There's no subtlety or nuance.

by Anonymousreply 49January 17, 2020 2:44 PM

At least when Helen Reddy did it, she did it in song with the Disney studio orchestra conducted by Mr. Irwin Kostal!

by Anonymousreply 50January 17, 2020 2:52 PM

It's not just the preachiness, it's the fact that the preachiness is emanating from people who are manifestly unqualified to give *anyone* advice or moral guidance. Every time some pill popping, amoral, shithead actress gets up and starts mouthing a lot of bullshit about her latest fashionable cause, people's faith in real progress dies a little more. It's not just actors, though, sadly, it's also: academics, journalists, publishers/editors, corporate PR reps, politicians, etc.

by Anonymousreply 51January 17, 2020 3:31 PM

He just keeps posting over and over.

by Anonymousreply 52January 17, 2020 3:33 PM

Good old DL, you can always depend on it to mindlessly echo right-wing talking points.

by Anonymousreply 53January 17, 2020 3:36 PM

[quote]No one's forcing you to see them, sunshine.

You just don't get it. The money being wasted on these rehashes could be used on producing something else.

by Anonymousreply 54January 17, 2020 4:36 PM

[quote] What annoys me is the preachiness of it all. If the stories genuinely progressed from the characters and their reactions to their situations, it would be fine, but these stories are being mangled out of shape to accommodate an ideology, and presented in such a way that is lecturing and condescending. There's no subtlety or nuance

Compared to the 80’s nothing is really “preachy” anymore. Even the cartoons were preachy and messagy in the 1980s. The problem is that you approved of the 1980s messaging. But so many here don’t approve of equality beyond the tokenism of the 1980s. When you reach a point where minorities are truly equal or in someway surpass average whites it’s unacceptable (eg the Cosby Show).

by Anonymousreply 55January 17, 2020 4:50 PM

Just another stupid mania for middle and below intellect people to busy themselves with while smart people leapfrog them.

by Anonymousreply 56January 17, 2020 5:17 PM

R25 Both. They don't really do anything with the remakes, they just ad a "woke" aspect to it. Then SJW types shame people for not liking these things. The new Ghostbusters was the first thing that made me hate this. I thought it would be a fun movie because of the cast (I love Kristen Wiig!), but it was just Ghostbusters with women.

The Wiz is an example of something that did something different with the source material, instead of just having a retread with non-white actors.

by Anonymousreply 57January 17, 2020 5:35 PM

The should be "add" not "ad"

by Anonymousreply 58January 17, 2020 5:36 PM

r55, I was a teen in the 80s and, even then, I hated the preachiness of certain programs with their "very special episode": they'd bring on a character never mentioned before to be an alcoholic or a domestic abuse victim so that the Keatons or the Sugarbakers could pontificate and then those people were never mentioned again. Preachiness and lecturing in any era is a turn-off.

by Anonymousreply 59January 17, 2020 5:39 PM

Anti-gay bigots deserve to get yelled at, R59, whether it's on TV or in real life. Sometimes it's justified, and sometimes they don't go far enough.

by Anonymousreply 60January 17, 2020 5:41 PM

I don't really give a shit what turns the oppressor classes off. On second thought, I do care so I can find out what turns them off and double down on it.

Julia Sugarbaker going nuclear on Imogene Salenger for her homophobia was justified and it was and is great TV. We were fucking dying in the streets and breeders were laughing over our corpses.

by Anonymousreply 61January 17, 2020 5:43 PM

Are the counterarguments in this thread in favour of preachiness then? A fiction property can be updated to modern-day setting and made with a diverse cast, that's fine. To me "woke" is the preachiness like a "breaking the fourth wall" aside in a 19th-century story: "One day we women will rise above our present stations as disenfranchised humans and this will all be viewed by a wider knowing audience as barbaric. Now that I've said that let us go back to our story in 1860s Leicestershire."

by Anonymousreply 62January 17, 2020 6:03 PM

What’s next a remake of Romeo and Juliet set in NYC?!? I can’t get over some of the morons on this site lately. People on a gay gossip board complaining about SJWs? Bitches, the same right wing mouth breathers who hate brown people, Muslims and women hate you!

by Anonymousreply 63January 17, 2020 6:04 PM

[quote] What’s next a remake of Romeo and Juliet set in NYC?!?

Or an oil-rich white family in Texas?

by Anonymousreply 64January 17, 2020 6:09 PM

[quote] Why can’t we have a new bad ass female spy?

I would happily accept a "Modesty Blaise" 21st-century reboot.

Franchises are largely the problem here, more on representation and merchandising than story.

by Anonymousreply 65January 17, 2020 6:12 PM

Yes, I want even more preaching and I want it nice and loud like a black Southern Baptist preacher!

by Anonymousreply 66January 17, 2020 6:16 PM

I'm sick of Republicans like OP bitching about "woke" people, even though their fellow conservatives dismiss gay rights as nothing but "woke" silliness

You guys complain that gays are underrepresented....but then when other minorities complain you bitch about them

by Anonymousreply 67January 17, 2020 6:18 PM

r65 I want this remake too, but I want them to call it Modesty Blase. Mainly because that's how I've always read the title but it could also work for a jaded spy...

by Anonymousreply 68January 17, 2020 6:19 PM

R23, Selena has a white mom and looks white anyway, so what the hell is the problem?

by Anonymousreply 69January 17, 2020 6:23 PM

Or Modestly Blase. "ANOTHER infiltration to wreck a liberal democratic nation? I'll do what I can, of course, maybe Willie Garvin can put out an APB on Reddit and Mastodon and get our H4x0rz disrupting the trollbot messaging in the meantime. I couldn't do what I do without our team of pseudonymous and anonymous culturejammers."

by Anonymousreply 70January 17, 2020 6:26 PM

Everyone who complains about so-called "preaching" is a bigot and needs to be preached to, plain and simple. Your anti-preachiness is a form of preachiness in and of itself.

by Anonymousreply 71January 17, 2020 6:27 PM

I basically just hate people and wokeness is enhancing that nicely.

by Anonymousreply 72January 17, 2020 6:33 PM

We need more movies that affirm the absolute moral authority of gays, Jews, and black people and that promote our collective manifest destiny over the entire world.

by Anonymousreply 73January 17, 2020 6:36 PM

That awful remake of Black Christmas from a month ago was a classic case of this. It tried to make everything woke and feminist, forgetting that the characters in the original film were already really feminist. The lead of that movie wanted to have an abortion and didn't care if her boyfriend wanted her not to or not. If that's not feminism and a woman with agency, I don't know what is. They wouldn't even have the guts to show a character like that in this day and age.

I do think the preachiness of it all is a turn off to just about everyone. People can tell when it's manufactured wokeness and it feels cynical.

What the world needs more of are movies where it doesn't matter what race, gender identity, sexuality, etc. the characters are. Don't make it all about their social issues and have them standing on soapboxes the entire time. Make them real human beings. Most human beings don't have the time and energy to stand up and give eloquent monologues about racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. They're just trying to survive like everyone else. That's what people want to see.

by Anonymousreply 74January 17, 2020 7:25 PM

I bet if the characters had a bunch of right-wing monologues, r74 wouldn't care

The original Black Christmas was awful. You have shit for taste.

by Anonymousreply 75January 17, 2020 7:48 PM

"Real human beings" care about social issues. Saying it shouldn't matter what race, gender, etc. people are is fucking hysterical since those issues affect people's lives every day

What you are proposing is unrealistic and pretends that everyone has the same experience based on their race, gender, or orientation. Which is not true.

by Anonymousreply 76January 17, 2020 7:55 PM

The problem is that Hollywood's ideas of what constitutes wokeness are actually anything but.

by Anonymousreply 77January 17, 2020 7:59 PM

I loved the Witcher but some of the casting choices were off. These people are so racist they'd kill a child for having pointy ears but they're absolutely fine with dark skin? People don't behave like that.

by Anonymousreply 78January 17, 2020 8:04 PM

Exactly, R78, if you're going to send a message, then do it in the context of a well-written script. TV drama could do it in the 1980s with panache.

by Anonymousreply 79January 17, 2020 8:07 PM

Is The Witcher set in a genuine historical era? From the previews, I thought it was fantasy, like Game of Thrones.

by Anonymousreply 80January 17, 2020 8:07 PM

Shows that started off depending on a story arc that veered into wokeness: Father Brown, Midsomer Murders, Walking Dead, Wallander, Shetland.

by Anonymousreply 81January 17, 2020 8:17 PM

Woke remakes only work if they are accompanied by hotter bodies than the originals.

by Anonymousreply 82January 17, 2020 8:19 PM

[quote]I loved the original Roswell, and was excited when the remake was announced because the original was only on for 3 seasons, so there's a lot of story left.

Roswell is not a good example to be outraged about bitch. The original Tv series always had criticism for their obvious whitewashing of New Mexico. Their casting was so famously racist a producer had to go tell them to tone it down.

Party of Five is another thing though.

by Anonymousreply 83January 17, 2020 8:28 PM

R74 has it right.

[quote] What you are proposing is unrealistic and pretends that everyone has the same experience based on their race, gender, or orientation. Which is not true.

There are greater differences between individuals than there are among races. People would rather see stories where someone's race, gender, or sexuality doesn't define them.

by Anonymousreply 84January 17, 2020 8:37 PM

No one who uses the G-word can be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 85January 17, 2020 8:38 PM

I'm a gay man and even I'm sick of movies and TV shows with gay characters whose only interesting trait is that they're gay. They never feel like real people. It feels like pandering. How about a character who just happens to be gay trying to solve a mystery or take care of their ailing parent or trying to get that promotion? Why does it always have to be something about them being in a hate crime, getting AIDS and dying, being a vapid club slut, etc.

by Anonymousreply 86January 17, 2020 10:00 PM

R75 seems unhinged. I bet they've never even seen the original Black Christmas because it "looks old."

by Anonymousreply 87January 17, 2020 10:01 PM

"Musicals based on Henry VIII’s wives but with a feminist ‘twist’! Musical based on Romeo and Juliet but with a feminist ‘twist’!

Was there anything more obvious than the feminist remake of King Kong, the Musical?

by Anonymousreply 88January 17, 2020 10:04 PM

Only on DL is "woke" interpreted as remaking a show & casting anyone not white in it.

[quote]Are any of these dumb "woke" remakes ever a success?

I'm sorry to tell you this but Charmed has been renewed for yet another season already because most millennials and under don't care if the new characters are not white because that's what having more diversity does. We're used to it. We expect it. We're okay with it. Thank you Lisa Turtle on Saved by the Bell, Angela on Boy Meets World and every character that came after.

I'm sorry the rest of you didn't have that experience.

by Anonymousreply 89January 17, 2020 10:10 PM

King Kong was pure shit and they should be ashamed of themselves.

My biggest gripe with the "strong female character" thing is that I think most people are misinterpreting what that actually means. A strong female character doesn't have to be Linda Hamilton or Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider. They don't have to physically or emotionally tough. They can be complete basket cases, but they need to feel like actual people with goals and dreams and hopes and wishes. It also helps if they change throughout the course of the story. This is what actresses want. They don't want to be action stars all the time. They just want interesting roles. At least most of them do.

by Anonymousreply 90January 17, 2020 10:11 PM

[quote]Roswell is not a good example to be outraged about bitch. The original Tv series always had criticism for their obvious whitewashing of New Mexico. Their casting was so famously racist a producer had to go tell them to tone it down.

Not just that. It wasn't just New Mexico that was whitewashed. Liz in the original Roswell High novels actually was a Latina named Liz Ortecho. The new show is actually adapting that correctly.

by Anonymousreply 91January 18, 2020 12:07 AM

[italic]Saved by the Bell[/italic] deserves credit for nothing except lowering the bar for meeting FCC's E/I standards and for children's entertainment. Some of the Nicktoons from the 1990s had more believable characters, particularly [italic]Doug[/italic] and [italic]Hey Arnold[/italic]!

by Anonymousreply 92January 18, 2020 1:53 AM

We know you're over "woke" everything, OP.

You're over gays, you're over women, you're over blacks, you're over trannies and you're over Latinos because you're the same racist, right-wing piece of shit who cyberstalks these groups 9 to 5 on Datalounge.

How do you afford to slander and defame people that are none of your business every day, OP? How does anything they do affect you?

Does the Russian government pay you to defame and slander others in a troll farm? Do Republican corporate sponsors pay you to divide and sow discontent between innocent and disinterested people? Are you some trust fund piece of shit who lucked out with your parents' resources so you can afford to try and drive wedges between people who might form a government that makes you pay taxes?

Guess what, OP? WE'RE OVER YOU! Why do you think gay people would share your bigotry and constant hatemongering toward anyone who isn't identical to yourself?

If you hate being woke so much, get some sleep, hon.

by Anonymousreply 93January 18, 2020 2:30 AM

What, R7, are they just gonna punch the dog to death?

by Anonymousreply 94January 18, 2020 2:38 AM

R93, take some valium.

by Anonymousreply 95January 18, 2020 2:38 AM

I'm over R93 and his stealth homophobic ass. You're the one with gay and lesbian blood on your hands if you think criticism of self-loathing self-mutilators is even in the same vicinity as racial prejudice.

by Anonymousreply 96January 18, 2020 2:43 AM

[quote]Why can’t we have a new bad ass female spy?

There is one. Her name is Evelyn Salt. Put some respect on her name!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 18, 2020 3:24 AM

R35 speak for yourself.

R39 well then you'd be wrong. That's Majandra Delfino.

by Anonymousreply 98January 18, 2020 3:33 AM

R93 I used to think Republicans were the scare and fearmongering party but holy shit!

by Anonymousreply 99January 18, 2020 4:36 PM

R93 There are Russians hiding under your bed

by Anonymousreply 100January 18, 2020 4:38 PM

Twats ruin almost everything, including the work of great women.

Twats can't even spew propaganda, polemics or other directive crap without fucking it up.

It's all part of the endless "I'm fat so you have to love me the way I am but I hate myself for being the way I am and you don't love me but I'm fat so...." straight-women game.

Thank God for lesbians who have much nicer foibles.

by Anonymousreply 101January 18, 2020 4:42 PM

I'm black and I'm all for diversity and inclusion, when it makes sense. Sometimes I will watch a show and I will think, these people wouldn't have a black friend. They may know black people at work and they may even go to lunch and socialize at the annual holiday party, but they wouldn't be neighbors or they wouldn't be a part of the group. It's kind of like the whole multiracial gang thing on TV. That's just not how the world works.

And sometimes you can tell that a character who is portrayed by an actor of color wasn't written to be portrayed by an actor of color, because they don't really do the homework to make the character a character of color. Because the truth is your race/ethnicity/sexuality informs how you see the world and it informs how you carry yourself in the world. Believe it not, people aren't interchangeable.

And finally, I agree with Tyler Perry. Instead of bitching about lack of diversity in entertainment and instead of taking "white" characters and making them minority characters, just find some way to create your own shit. I prefer original characters and stories instead of making Veronica Lodge Latinx or Reggie Mantle Asian.

by Anonymousreply 102January 18, 2020 5:07 PM

R102 It depends on the story. Hollywood remakes foreign films all the time with American actors without fundamentally changing the story. Changing the gender doesn't make sense but you could very well have characters of different races portray the same role as long as their race is not their defining characteristics. Will Smith and The Rock were very much playing the same roles as Tom Cruise did in the 80s and early 90s. However, if these same actors were cast in roles that were to emphasize their race, they may have still found an audience, and maybe even got some awards recognition, but it would've played to much smaller audiences.

by Anonymousreply 103January 18, 2020 5:23 PM

R83 They could've made the characters Americans of Latino descent or legal immigrants. The illegal immigrant nonsense bogs down something that should be fun and soapy.

by Anonymousreply 104January 19, 2020 3:23 AM

R93 I'm gay.

by Anonymousreply 105January 19, 2020 3:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!