Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How do we bury FOX News?

It's the most harmful, steaming pile of misinformation in the country and responsible for so much damage. How do we defeat it?

by Anonymousreply 95January 29, 2020 12:38 AM

Thank you for asking this. We need a coalition, and we need to do this. Murdoch is now trying to establish "The Sun" in the U.S., God help us. Do we go after advertisers? The family? The editors? Let's get a strategy.

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2020 4:41 PM

It will meet the same slow death conservative talk radio will be seeing within the next 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2020 4:49 PM

Why couldn't we have "Fox Fridays" and protest at every Fox station. I live in NY and am often tempted to hold up signs outside their studio, but I fear reprisal. When you protest in NY, sometimes it feels like there are more people recording you than supporting you.

by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2020 5:16 PM

OP is correct that they are the head of the snake. Lop off the head and the rest becomes easier to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2020 5:22 PM

[quote]How do we bury FOX News?

Supply a better alternative

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2020 5:41 PM

[quote] Supply a better alternative

A better alternative to lies and blatant propaganda?

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2020 5:43 PM

"It will meet the same slow death conservative talk radio will be seeing within the next 10 years."

You think R2? You think we will be able to outlast them? Always underestimate them. It's worked well for us so far, why not another 10 years?

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2020 6:52 PM

I think it involves going after the advertisers, and commenting to intimates asking them not to watch it. My sister has drunk the cool aide and rolls her eyes, so it’s too late for that. I don’t speak to her much. Not because she has a different opinion, but because she can’t stop talking about it, and after a long time, I have simply had it with repeated insults and embarrassments.

I agree that it’s crucial. They whipped-up Benghazi and emails into the Dreyfus Affair, followed that with the election of Trump, a real criminal, traitor, and complete moron.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2020 6:54 PM

It's so amusing to see DLers typing about street protests, when the majority of you have never done such a thing, and regularly deride Women's March, ACT UP, etc, regularly.

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2020 7:42 PM

How about changing the name to CNBC and nobody will watch it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2020 8:00 PM

The average age of a Faux News watcher is age 72. You do the math.

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2020 8:25 PM

Bloomberg should spend his omen to buy FOX is he really wants to help the country. Even if something else came along similar, it would take years to replicate its influence and huge audience.

by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2020 8:30 PM

R12, that's not a bad idea.

by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2020 10:31 PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if Fox News stopped airing tomorrow, the people who watch it 24/7 will go to even less regulated digital alternatives where there would be less boundaries and that frightens me more.

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2020 10:37 PM

Less FOX News would only be a good thing in this country at this point, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2020 11:37 PM

What's the alternative? CNN or MSNBC? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...gasp, choke, fart, wheeze...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2020 11:40 PM

Are we going to just let “cool aide” slide in R8?

by Anonymousreply 17January 16, 2020 11:43 PM

I saw Bombshell, today. Charlize Theron was amazing as Me-Again Kelly. The prosthetic makeup transformation itself was a feat, but her voice was spot-on, too.

by Anonymousreply 18January 16, 2020 11:53 PM

The death of their Silent Generation viewers in their late 70s and 80s will hurt them. They will be hemorrhaging viewers with no one replacing them.

by Anonymousreply 19January 16, 2020 11:54 PM

R19 Tell yourself whatever helps you sleep at night...

by Anonymousreply 20January 16, 2020 11:56 PM

Hey MAGAt R20, are you denying the fact that the very elderly make up a huge bulk of Fox viewership? Sorry if cold hard facts upset you!

by Anonymousreply 21January 16, 2020 11:59 PM

Oh. And lick me!

by Anonymousreply 22January 16, 2020 11:59 PM

[quote] I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if Fox News stopped airing tomorrow, the people who watch it 24/7 will go to even less regulated digital alternatives where there would be less boundaries and that frightens me more.

Exactly. Eldergays on DL think we're still living in the 1990s, when everyone got all of their news from TV. Deplorables in their 60s and 70s may watch Fox News all day. But younger deplorables today aren't getting most of their news from Fox. They're getting it from an assortment of right-wing conspiracy websites and social media. Eliminating Fox News will only drive its viewers to sites on the web that are even scarier.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2020 12:12 AM

Their most popular show, Sean Hannity, has Lindsey Graham appearing almost every night.

Think about it. Maybe other networks need to outbid Fox for Lindsey appearances.

Apparently, there's something about Lindsey that makes anchors and reporters tingle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2020 12:16 AM

R23, if FOX News were eliminated tomorrow, I sorta doubt older FOX viewers would be surfing Youtube channels and alt-right Reddits though. They would probably just revert back to Rush Limbaugh.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2020 12:16 AM

1) make it unprofitable

2) shame the owners

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2020 12:21 AM

Yeah, I agree. The anciens of Fox News viewers would turn the radio back on.... anybody watching Fox who is scurrying to the dark web mostly already is.

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2020 12:22 AM

Rupert and the one son, Lachlan Murdoch., have to feel the heat before the Devil comes for each.

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2020 12:28 AM

Fact check all of their rhetoric! That's all it is, it is OPINION that then gets turned into a fact. I will fact check everything that comes off of that news channel to my parents and THEY STILL BUY IT!! Repuglicans can't handle the truth. They are uncomfortable with facts and science.

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2020 12:36 AM

They aren't uncomfortable with it, they ignore it.

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2020 12:40 AM

[quote] But younger deplorables today aren't getting most of their news from Fox. They're getting it from an assortment of right-wing conspiracy websites and social media.

Younger deplorables -- like most young voters -- are full of hot air. I'm not trying to sound ageist in either direction, but older deplorables are far more dangerous because they a). always vote and b). have more money and resources to donate towards political causes. I think eliminating -- or at least neutralizing --one of the main sources where they get spoonfed their news could only be an improvement on what we currently have now.

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2020 12:44 AM

My dad is addicted to Fox, I think it's too late to turn these people around. You could cut Fox News today and they would find a place to congregate because there is no turning back. My dad and his friends are big petition and letter writers, you will never hear the end of it. You've got to wait until they all die off.

Also, some of my dad's (he is early 80's) friends get their info from Reddit, QAnon and those sites, my dad doesn't do internet but he gets printouts of all that crap because some of the elderly learn the internet from their grandkids.

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2020 12:47 AM

That’s the problem. You don’t like something, shut it down. Fuck you OP and move to North Korea.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2020 12:50 AM

[quote] if FOX News were eliminated tomorrow, I sorta doubt older FOX viewers would be surfing Youtube channels and alt-right Reddits though.

Older people don't use YouTube and Reddit, but they do use Facebook, where they repost right-wing shit and "like" right-wing pages. Taking away Fox News isn't going to turn them into moderates.

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2020 12:55 AM

Why the fuck is Murdoch allowed to come to America and destroy our country with his propaganda machine, that does nothing but pit out bullshit lies, to the American populace.

Fuck him. The UK was right to shut fox news down over there. The Murdochs live on blood $$$.

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2020 12:56 AM

Anyone who watches more than 5 minutes of Fox News dies of cancer. Make that happen, OP.

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2020 12:58 AM

Bloomberg/Steyner should buy it and shut it down

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2020 1:11 AM

A lot of you need to grow the fuck up. People are allowed to watch whatever the fuck they want and most of you have no right to silence anyone. I can't stand a bunch of triggered queens. You don't have to watch fox news. It is as simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2020 1:12 AM

But my free speech!!!

by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2020 1:14 AM

R33: Shove it up your ass, you right wing loser.

by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2020 1:16 AM

Uh, MSNBC is more psychotic now than Fox News ever was during the Obama administration. Cable news isn't my thing (I'll take BBC World News if I absolutely must.)

by Anonymousreply 41January 17, 2020 1:17 AM

R40. Shove your triggered ass up your hole fag.

by Anonymousreply 42January 17, 2020 1:17 AM

Apparently the morons here expecting a huge culling of the Fox News audience when the "old" people die off has never been in a meeting, lunchroom conversation, client meeting, overheard any conversations in public, or have been attentive in everyday life and hear very young college age students that are very conservative.

So dream on.

by Anonymousreply 43January 17, 2020 1:19 AM

You have to love homophobic Trumptards letting their true colors shine. I love that you spend your time trolling a gay site like the loser you are R42. Why don't you slither back to Breitbart like the pathetic MAGAt you are?

by Anonymousreply 44January 17, 2020 1:21 AM

Lobby your Congressmen and Senators to bring back the fairness in reporting doctrine that was abandoned by the FCC during the Reagan era.

Fact check everything a deplorable pig says and in the moment. Talk over them if you must. I just had to do this re: the Iranian 'bribe' claim and also for the lie told regarding previously existing conditions being preserved by the GOP.

Request that public venues that have it on change the channel. I'm always polite when I ask and I've never been refused.

Watch TV with granny and do the fact-check game. I've done this with a few elderly neighbors to good effect.

by Anonymousreply 45January 17, 2020 1:23 AM

Misinformation above: 66 percent of 18-34 year-olds do NOT support Trump. 55 percent of 35-49 year old's do not support Trump. His base is dying.

by Anonymousreply 46January 17, 2020 1:25 AM

R45: The Fairness Doctrine only applied to over the air broadcasting. It had nothing to do with Pay TV Channels. You would need a new one to counteract the bullshit artists at Fox Nazi News.

by Anonymousreply 47January 17, 2020 1:25 AM

R46, not fast enough.

by Anonymousreply 48January 17, 2020 1:26 AM

R44. I am not even a republican but pieces of shit like you make it hard to vote democrat or identify as such. I believe in not censoring people even if they think differently from me. idiots like you are a waste of space to humanity because all you do is infect it with nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 49January 17, 2020 1:27 AM

R44, we've had an influx of particularly nasty trolls lately. I've blocked that troll and yet could see him because you allowed it. My bad, but here's a suggestion: Write out the number, re: Poster Forty-two, and keep taking away their platform. There's nothing they hate more than being ignored.

by Anonymousreply 50January 17, 2020 1:27 AM

R43 I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

by Anonymousreply 51January 17, 2020 1:29 AM

R49, you realize YOU are trying to censor R44, you hypocrite!

by Anonymousreply 52January 17, 2020 1:30 AM

R50. Go cry in a corner cry baby. I am sure you go through life avoiding your coworker and boss because they are not as liberal retard as you. Grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 53January 17, 2020 1:30 AM

R16 - “ What's the alternative? CNN or MSNBC? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...gasp - , choke, fart, wheeze...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - HAHAHAHAHA”

You mean an alternative to facts, spin, and support for the most ridiculed, dangerous, and worst president in American history; who is now undoubtably humiliated by his impeachment? You mean that kind of alternative to FUCKS News?

by Anonymousreply 54January 17, 2020 1:30 AM

Reinstate the “Fairness Doctrine” law. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 55January 17, 2020 1:31 AM

R49 You are an even bigger moron snowflake than I thought if your voting is influenced by anonymous online comments. LOL. What a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 56January 17, 2020 1:33 AM

R52. How am I censoring him. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 57January 17, 2020 1:33 AM

R56. You just proved my point that idiots like you should never have any political opinion. Retards like you practically make up the Democratic party. All the sane people have become independent.

by Anonymousreply 58January 17, 2020 1:37 AM

This thread is turning out really well.

by Anonymousreply 59January 17, 2020 1:37 AM

If Fox News were eliminated, they'll just migrate to One America Network which is even further to the right. Trump has been promoting that network over Fox recently.

by Anonymousreply 60January 17, 2020 1:40 AM

I agree with the suggestion to boycott the advertisers. That sometimes works when a specific anchor is targeted.

by Anonymousreply 61January 17, 2020 2:23 AM

R61, good one. I never thought the odious Bill O'Reilly would be gone, and yet it happened.

by Anonymousreply 62January 17, 2020 2:32 AM

So far we have:

Boycott the advertisers

Shame the owners

Persuade friends and family To turn it off

Agitate to Reinstate the “Fairness Doctrine” law. (I think that ship has sailed)

Fact check fox and publicize the results

Deport the Aussie owner. He is an enemy of the people, after all.

Enforce the rule about not owning a newspaper and TV station in the same market (new item)

by Anonymousreply 63January 17, 2020 2:35 AM

Should the government have a news channel of its own? To present its viewpoint?

by Anonymousreply 64January 17, 2020 2:36 AM

I volunteer to kidnap Tucker Carlson if it'll help. I already have it all planned out.

by Anonymousreply 65January 17, 2020 2:38 AM

Studies have shown that watching Fox actually makes people even dumber than those who watch no tv.

by Anonymousreply 66January 17, 2020 2:42 AM

The next Dem President should place the Fox reporter in the back of the briefing room, with the other tabloids, or banish them completely. Don’t give them questions. Also, direct all executive branch members not to give interviews to fox employees.

What we have today isn’t working. Bill O’Reilly’s interview with Pres. Obama was a real disgrace. He interrupted to try to get the Pres. mad. He asked the Pres., “what’s it like to be hated”, and was really rude about it. Obama should have said, “we’ll you tell me, you have more experience with it”, and with a smile!

by Anonymousreply 67January 17, 2020 2:43 AM

Fox is splitting its news division from its entertainment division. That’s a start.

[quote] R55: Reinstate the “Fairness Doctrine” law. Problem solved.

I think it’s too late for that, but maybe limiting the opinion to news ratio to 10% on news channels, and vice-versa. Basically, separate opinion from news somehow. Maybe have a scroll bar, at least? Fox’s opinions are often disguised as news.

by Anonymousreply 68January 17, 2020 2:47 AM

Protests. Outside of the manhattan studios around the clock.

Advertisers shamed to oblivion.

Public pressure campaign.

Let’s all reach out to our kooky relatives and tell them to change the channel through a worldwide social media challenge.

It’s totally possible.

SHUT THEM DOWN!!

by Anonymousreply 69January 17, 2020 2:48 AM

There needs to be a national campaign against propaganda. Let Steyer and Bloomberg spend some money on that.

by Anonymousreply 70January 17, 2020 2:49 AM

Add to R63:

Politely ask waiting rooms and similar to change the channel.

Refuse to hire anyone who worked in the news division at another company. I was so glad when Greta Van Susteren’s show on MSNBC bombed.

by Anonymousreply 71January 17, 2020 3:05 AM

I waited a decade for my nephew to ask my opinion, and then I unloaded. Despite my listing numerous examples of lies they promoted, he still watches it.

My elderly brother responded to that by saying “they all do that”. I said, “So, instead of turning it off, or finding another source, you knowingly listen to a network that lies to you, because it’s the lies you want to hear?” The answer is “yes”.

There’s no easy fix for that. But I believe Fox is worse than Trump. It’s the root of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 72January 17, 2020 3:10 AM

We need more of the diverse views from across the political spectrum, not less. It's in totalitarian regimes that you have a consistent view of what is true.

by Anonymousreply 73January 17, 2020 3:14 AM

R73, let’s not blur opinion with facts, though.

by Anonymousreply 74January 17, 2020 3:18 AM

R74, Fox News is all blurred opinions, demonization of the other, and pseudo, lazy reporting. Irredeemable.

by Anonymousreply 75January 17, 2020 3:20 AM

I hate to tell you this, unless it's in countries like China which the government can shut it down, otherwise there is no way you can stop it, especially FOXNEWS is a financial success too, the parent company NEWSCORP has no reason to change its winning formula, they might even double it down in the election year to generate more profit. Of course it will be a different story if FOXNEWS is losing money for them but I don't see that happening any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 76January 17, 2020 3:59 AM

[quote] Reinstate the “Fairness Doctrine” law. Problem solved.

[quote] I think it’s too late for that, but maybe limiting the opinion to news ratio to 10% on news channels, and vice-versa.

Read R47 again. The Fairness Doctrine and other FCC regulations regarding TV content never applied to cable networks, only to broadcast (over-the-air) TV that uses the public airwaves (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, local channels). The government doesn't have the authority to regulate the content of cable networks. Giving that power to the government would never survive a court challenge.

by Anonymousreply 77January 17, 2020 4:02 AM

Shut it down!

by Anonymousreply 78January 17, 2020 4:13 AM

A stupid network for stupid twats. What type of trash watches this shit and thinks it's great journalism?

by Anonymousreply 79January 17, 2020 4:23 AM

There is already a far more reichwing network than Fox. OANN is where many of the elderly are turning as they feel Fox has become "too liberal". Geriatric Rethugs want to live in an echo chamber. There will always be an alternative for the Alt Right. They demand it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 17, 2020 4:26 AM

This is why I expect my liberal channel to be reality based. The day I find them making substantive errors and not correcting themselves is the day I find another news source.

by Anonymousreply 81January 17, 2020 4:33 AM

R81, agreed.

by Anonymousreply 82January 17, 2020 6:33 AM

The issue is that the Fox News viewers I know watch it ALL THE TIME.

by Anonymousreply 83January 17, 2020 3:21 PM

R83, I agree with you.

The few FOX NEWS watchers I know, including my mother and a pal of mine at the gym, do watch it round the clock. As soon as they get home they seem to run to FOX NEWS.

What is that all about?

by Anonymousreply 84January 17, 2020 3:56 PM

Hey R62, greetings from R61.

I agree with you. The focused targeted campaigns (In my opinion) seem to be more effective and create negative press for FOX NEWS and for individual anchors than an overall boycott.

I think such a tactic not only worked against Bill O'Reilly, but also for a while Laura Ingraham and Jeanine Pirro. Their statements or behavior or hate speech has to circulated widely and result in a boycott of a few of those anchor's sponsors.

I think if one of these anchors is targeted and a few people call the sponsors to complain, they sometimes get suspended or removed.

by Anonymousreply 85January 17, 2020 4:00 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 86January 23, 2020 12:49 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 87January 23, 2020 12:54 AM

Keep the focus on all of the evil that politicians like Collins and McConnell keeps doing to the country. Even Paul Ryan saw the writing on that wall.

by Anonymousreply 88January 23, 2020 1:48 AM

The problem is that Fox News spins McConnell's behavior as loyalty and patriotism and wisdom. And anyone who doesn't fall in line gets berated or mocked by that network.

by Anonymousreply 89January 24, 2020 1:26 AM

Support his son. He wants to bury his dad as we all know!

by Anonymousreply 90January 26, 2020 9:49 AM

Even if we "bury" Fox news something else will replace it. It might be more moderate compared to Fox but it will still lean to the right.

by Anonymousreply 91January 26, 2020 9:57 AM

Mass theft of all blonde hair dye.

Those cunts would never show their faces on TV again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92January 28, 2020 9:01 PM

So far we have:

Boycott the advertisers

Shame the owners

Persuade friends and family To turn it off

Agitate to Reinstate the “Fairness Doctrine” law. (I think that ship has sailed)

Fact check fox and publicize the results

Deport the Aussie owner. He is an enemy of the people, after all.

Enforce the rule about not owning a newspaper and TV station in the same market (new item)

Modified Fairness Doctrine - require opinion shows or parts of shows to scroll a banner saying “This video is intended for consensual adults for educational purposes...”. Basically, anything that says “This looks like factual news, but it not, it’s some asshole’s opinion.”

by Anonymousreply 93January 28, 2020 9:42 PM

Fox and MSNBC demographics as of Feb 2019 (not sure if these will format correctly)

Fox MSNBC 18-34 25% 25% 35-49 24% 19% 40-64 30% 31% 65+ 20% 24%

More demo breakdowns at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94January 29, 2020 12:36 AM

aargh formatting didn't stick. Anyway, interesting info at the link above.

by Anonymousreply 95January 29, 2020 12:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!