Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Grace And Frankie - Season 6 out now on Netflix

So far I’m liking it much more than the downer past 2 seasons with nursing homes and squatting.

Lily Tomlin is the MVP but Jane Fonda also plays the tragedy of aspects of ageing incredibly well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83February 11, 2020 2:34 AM

Lily has had too much face work during the hiatus. It’s distracting:(

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2020 10:57 PM

So far, I am just not feeling this season.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2020 11:46 PM

R2 it doesn’t work when they are split up

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2020 11:55 PM

They should have gotten Grace and Frankie together by now and have them explore what it means to them to be in a same sex relationship. This is boring as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2020 12:15 AM

I loved last season! This season is a bit slow so far

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2020 1:58 AM

I like this season, even though Bud, Bud’s wife, Coyote, Sol and Robert are even more pointless this year. The Engelbert Humperdinck cameo was gold! And I love Peter and Joan-Margaret.

Is Lily Tomlin getting her filler from the same doctor who does Brandi Glanville?

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2020 1:10 PM

It’s sad to see Martin Sheen given such poor material

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2020 1:44 AM

Frankie is annoying as fuck. Every time she shows up everyone is annoyed, but she just doesn't get it. People just wanna be left alone sometimes. I had to fast forward a lot through her scenes. Brianna has not one friend beside her sister and family. Sad.

It is also not very credible that two 80yo women design a new product and marketing campaign in just a few years. Is this the second or third successful company they have started now? It usually takes months or years to introduce a new product and an investor with deep pockets.

How old is Nick? Have you guys ever heard of a good looking successful business man who would marry or date a 80yo woman and deal with all her issues. Of course he always says the right stuff and doesn't care and just adores her. This would never happen in real life.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2020 9:53 AM

I just started it. Ahhh!

I love these two queens.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2020 6:07 PM

I loved this season more than the previous few, and the ending was unexpected and brilliant. Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin are wonderful. The men? Meh. But the show is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2020 10:20 PM

The ending was so predictable you’d think Marta is still producing Friends. Dreadful! Last season was brilliant

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2020 12:36 AM

I thought this was the final season, so after the last episode, I was a bit disappointed at the "finale."

Turns out, there's one more.

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2020 1:17 AM

The problem with the ending...

SPOILERS

...was that Grace wasn't forced to choose between Nick and Frankie, so there was not character growth or development. Choice under pressure is the essence of character. She made one choice when she refused to take Mark Cuban's offer on Shark Tank - bad, but not irredeemable. She was never required to make the final, lasting, no going back choice between a life with Nick and her friendship with Frankie.

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2020 3:31 AM

Just finished all of the episodes. My hope is Robert and Sol get Grace and Frankie together next season. Have the ovaries, TPTB!

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2020 4:58 AM

R7 I’m more disappointed in Martin Sheen’s piss poor performance. Completely unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2020 5:39 AM

Could they also go after Grace's assets if they don't ha e a prenup? Where's her money coming from now?

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2020 7:40 AM

[quote]Could they also go after Grace's assets if they don't ha e a prenup? Where's her money coming from now?

I've always assumed that Grace's money comes from Say Grace - as well as the sale of the company, now. Also, their vibrator business must be profitable and pulling in some money - not millions, but it should be enough to support daily needs if the beach house is paid-off. Also, the sold both marital homes when they got divorced. Assuming it was split evenly, Robert and Sol probably used the money to buy their new house, but Frankie and Grace got the beach house, so are probably sitting on that money as well.

I'm actually stunned that Robert and Sol have so little money that Robert's $20K donation actually had a meaningful impact - given how much that beach house must have been worth at the time they bought it, they must have had a good chunk of money.

by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2020 4:58 PM

I think Martin Sheen pulls off some of these scenes better than SW. But these two aren't very believable.

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2020 9:16 PM

I love the show, except Richard and Sol.

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2020 9:19 PM

The series of gay waiters was funny. They each had their 'moment.'

by Anonymousreply 20January 18, 2020 9:29 PM

The pilot episode was so bad I almost had zero desire to watch anymore. Particularly, the revelation scene at the restaurant, which was the worst piece of acting any of those four leads have ever done.

Fortunately, the show does get better as it goes along. But there's a reason that only Lily keeps getting the Emmy nominations. She's the strongest character and the heart of the show. Jane is great, but she doesn't have as strong material to work with. Martin and Sam are okay. And the kids are just meh.

by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2020 9:44 PM

I adore Frankie, and feel she is the heart of the show. The show would fall flat without her, and part of why season 6 felt off was because there was more Grace than Frankie this time. Also, they do not work well apart.

Brianna having no friends is realistic. Many people do not have friends, especially people with a personality like hers.

I have never liked Martin Sheen in anything, so me not liking him in this is not a shock to me.

I did not think that the men have no money, they clearly had a lot once upon a time, but I assumed that when they left the women for each other that half (or more) of their money went to each wife also. They also need to make sure that they have enough until they die, since neither is working.

The women are not lesbians, get over it. Grace would never be a believable lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2020 11:16 PM

The toilet bong!

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2020 5:36 AM

[quote]Lily has had too much face work during the hiatus. It’s distracting:(

It's not face work — it's "beauty work," aka CGI Photoshop, and it's used on both ladies. Beauty work is the 21st century computerized version of Joan Crawford lighting or the Mame lens.

It's most notable on Jane but in the first episode of season 6 when Lily is packing Jane's belongings in the kitchen, the beauty work on them is so far overdone it becomes an "uncanny valley" special effect.

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2020 6:08 AM

Did Sam Waterston have a stoke, saying his lines is very muddy and garbled.

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2020 6:14 AM

Who knew Pail Michael Glaser was still alive?

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2020 6:44 AM

Who knew Estelle Parsons was still alive?

by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2020 6:46 AM

How isn’t Olivia De Havilland on this show?

by Anonymousreply 28January 19, 2020 6:47 AM

I think the series will end with Robert dying, and the rest living at the beach house.

by Anonymousreply 29January 19, 2020 11:01 AM

I want to like this show, but every time I watch it, I'm bored. The writing is so forced and lame. I love those two, but it seems that they have reached for the cheapest writers they can find.

by Anonymousreply 30January 19, 2020 1:06 PM

This season is a bit all over the map, but it's still worthwhile television to me. It also explores issues of aging that no other show does. It gives me hope as a 40 something that life doesn't just stop at a certain point if you put in some effort.

by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2020 9:37 PM

The final episode so clearly tidied up and resolved all of the characters' stories, so I am shocked to hear there will be one more season. Why? There was wonderful closure on everything and everyone in that last episode. Has Fonda had hip or knee surgery? They tried to film around it, but it is clear that she walks with a slight limp.

by Anonymousreply 32January 19, 2020 9:42 PM

If this awful season was the last I’d be highly disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 33January 19, 2020 9:49 PM

The lack of funds on Sol and Robert's part seems far fetched. They were successful and I imagine, financially responsible lawyers, but they can't afford a hotel while their house is fixed? And if they can't afford that and they have spent all their reserves on fixing their home what are they going to do moving forward? Go back to work? Also, the whole FBI raid was a bit too far fetched for me. Lastly, the woman playing Bud's (typing that made me realize he's named after marijuana) wife is distracting with her frozen forehead and complete lack of acting ability.

by Anonymousreply 34January 19, 2020 9:58 PM

Also, what happened to Grace's other friends - the no nonsense career woman and gay black guy - from season one? Why did they get the Coco treatment? Frankie gets on my nerves, it would be nice to have some different characters with which Grace could interact.

by Anonymousreply 35January 19, 2020 10:04 PM

[quote]Lastly, the woman playing Bud's (typing that made me realize he's named after marijuana) wife is distracting with her frozen forehead and complete lack of acting ability.

I thought that the actress (Lindsey Kraft, according to IMDB) was the same actress who plays Dax Shepard's wife on Bless This Mess - apparently, it's not (Lake Bell).

by Anonymousreply 36January 19, 2020 10:05 PM

Do you think the four leads have all filmed an exit/death scene in case they should die during the run of the series so that they have a transition point they can work into the show?

by Anonymousreply 37January 19, 2020 10:09 PM

R36 She is REALLY bad. I wonder if the botox makes her worse

by Anonymousreply 38January 19, 2020 10:10 PM

[quote]Do you think the four leads have all filmed an exit/death scene in case they should die during the run of the series so that they have a transition point they can work into the show?

I've always thought doing something like that would be a good idea for many long-running shows - not just for older cast members, but also for cast members who begin to develop drug or alcohol problems (like Cory Monteith) or diva problems a la Heigl.

The biggest mistake they made was not reshooting and editing The Last Jedi once Carrie Fisher had died, so that she could die in that movie on screen and use Luke in the final movie. With how many years the franchise would take to shoot all three movies and at Carrie's age and health history, they were fools not to put a bit of extra into storage...just in case.

by Anonymousreply 39January 19, 2020 10:15 PM

[quote]Did Sam Waterston have a stoke, saying his lines is very muddy and garbled.

The garbled speech started already years ago when he was still on Law and Order, if I remember correctly. I always assumed he had a stroke but who knows.

by Anonymousreply 40January 19, 2020 10:19 PM

r34

it pisses me off as well... it's like on Golden Girls where sometimes they have tons of money to go on vacations or buy elegant clothes and then other times they can't pay for a roof repair

by Anonymousreply 41January 19, 2020 11:37 PM

Just seeing S6 episode 1 and yes, Lily's work is insane.

by Anonymousreply 42January 20, 2020 3:52 AM

Waterston is useless as any kind of comedic actor. His mannerisms (including the flailing arms) and high-pitched voice are so unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 43January 20, 2020 4:14 AM

After six seasons, Sheen and Waterston still haven't managed to develop an ounce of chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 44January 20, 2020 4:15 AM

[quote] Sheen and Waterston still haven't managed to develop an ounce of chemistry.

There was a point they seemed believable as a couple, right about the time G&F stopped fighting their friendship and formed a company.

But they hug each other like old ladies, and their friend is annoying as fuck. I haven't cared much about them as characters since that hot dude wanted to have a three way with them.

Robert making the joke about stealing Nick away from Grace was just, ugh, so old school gay stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 45January 20, 2020 4:36 AM

Bud’s wife = they couldn’t afford Lake Bell

by Anonymousreply 46January 20, 2020 6:44 AM

Bud being hung up on Jessica was creepy and pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 47January 20, 2020 8:22 AM

^They also made it sound like she was the love of his life and then it turns out they had only dated for a couple of weeks and didn't even have sex. Creepy indeed.

by Anonymousreply 48January 20, 2020 8:28 AM

^^^because straight "nice guys" never do demented things like that...

by Anonymousreply 49January 20, 2020 4:12 PM

Bud isn't named after marijuana, at least not officially. It's short for his given name, Nwabudike.

I thought this season started out well, but by the end, it was trying my patience. I grew tired of the constant tensions that could have been avoided by not keeping stupid secrets from each other. They're all so immature and keep having the same fights and resolving them (across 6 seasons). I still feel goodwill toward the show, but Sol and Robert need to ditch that rotten friend of theirs, and their roles should be greatly decreased. The show should be about Grace and Frankie, with occasional glimpses into how the ex-husbands are doing. I fast-forwarded through a lot of their scenes.

And, yes, Sam Waterston is terrible. The querulous, high voice and slurred speech aren't winning him any fans, and both his and Sheen's performances are stilted and unenjoyable. Are we supposed to believe that this petulant and high-strung man was a respected lawyer?

by Anonymousreply 50January 20, 2020 11:01 PM

Finished season 6. Meh. It feels like they’re circling the same tropes now. One too many Grace and Frankie “break ups”. Still, I love the shit out of this show.

Fonda and Tomlin are everything and obviously deserve better. They should kick off the boys and children, add Jessica Lange and Susan Sarandon and turn into a Golden Girls for the new millennium.

by Anonymousreply 51January 22, 2020 5:54 PM

I will count this as one of the biggest queer baiting shows of all time. One example:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 22, 2020 6:00 PM

If one does not see it, that is you. Do not tell me to get the fuck over it. There are a lot of us who do want Grace and Frankie as endgame. The Golden Girls were never marketed as being soulmates.

by Anonymousreply 53January 22, 2020 6:03 PM

“The way people invested in their relationship is something you always hope is going to happen,” Kauffman says. “The show is about these two women. I think it’s no surprise that the audience wants them to be together, ultimately. I think making them a [romantic] couple is disingenuous. But they are a different kind of couple. They are best friends. They belong together. And I think there is something wonderful about finding that person who you want to be with in life.”

Tease the hell out of the lesbians but do not actually make them canon for fear of alienating straight people. Fuck her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 22, 2020 6:17 PM

I hope next season is better

by Anonymousreply 55January 22, 2020 8:13 PM

I'm enjoying this season an am about midway through so far. It's light fare to me -- for having on after a long day at work, while I eat. Avoiding other comments in the thread until I'm done, so as to not be spoiled!

by Anonymousreply 56January 22, 2020 8:24 PM

Brianna is the only one of the offspring that I would miss if they were written off.

And apparently, her super queeny bitchy assistant...is STRAIGHT in real life.

by Anonymousreply 57January 22, 2020 9:21 PM

I enjoy Coyote's bumbling character.

by Anonymousreply 58January 22, 2020 9:25 PM

I want to see and episode where one of them hits their head and has a dream sequence where they imagine them as Laverne and Shirley at their present age and the guys are Lenny and Squiggy.

by Anonymousreply 59January 22, 2020 9:55 PM

Coyote and Mallory just need to get together!

I actually like the kids better than Sol and Robert.

by Anonymousreply 60January 22, 2020 10:04 PM

And, I mean, Ethan Embry.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 22, 2020 10:06 PM

I skipped a couple of seasons so haven't followed everything but I remember thinking that Brianna's on and off boyfriend was somewhat cute in the past. He had a beard, maybe? But now he just looks fat and bland.

The concept that Robert and Sol wouldn't have two nickels to rub together is ridiculous and was only done for the "comedic" effect of getting the four of them together in one house, which no one was asking for.

by Anonymousreply 62January 22, 2020 10:16 PM

I enjoyed it, yes some parts were a little slow but the good ones made up for it. It was noticeable that Jane was looking for her cue cards. Every season discusses senior issues, this time, getting stuck on the toilet and prostate cancer. It's worth taking a look at...loved when Frankie said, he's white collar, he'll be out in three years, then be president. As far as facial work, the women were old 7 years ago when the show started, Lily is now 80 and Jane 82. They are still strutting their stuff. Looking forward to season 7.

by Anonymousreply 63January 22, 2020 10:40 PM

[quote] I want to see and episode where one of them hits their head and has a dream sequence where they imagine them as Laverne and Shirley at their present age and the guys are Lenny and Squiggy.

Well, you get a small part of your wish this season. Something about a rubber tree plant.......

by Anonymousreply 64January 23, 2020 3:58 AM

I like how Ethan Embry is a “normal looking” member of the cast, even with That Body.

by Anonymousreply 65January 23, 2020 1:12 PM

r65

he is gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 66January 23, 2020 11:19 PM

He started bulking out a few years ago and looks good.

Actually, Bud is kinda hot, too.

Barry was cute but has definitely gotten a little doughy.

I still wish they would have found a way to keep Mark Deklin's character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67January 23, 2020 11:23 PM

I saw it all and enjoyed it! One more season sounds about right for the show! I'll actually be a little sad when it's over for good...

by Anonymousreply 68January 23, 2020 11:29 PM

About halfway through.

That scene with Lily and Martin.....okay, that was very, VERY nicely done and played. The most real moment on there so far this year.

by Anonymousreply 69January 24, 2020 1:14 AM

Fonda, Sheen, and Waterston simply are not natural comedic actors, and try to make up for it with these completely exaggerated facial expressions ("mugging"). Big names and hugely accomplished though they might be, all three of them have zero comedic subtlety.

by Anonymousreply 70January 24, 2020 10:42 PM

I cracked up at Grace describing discovering her signature scent. "I was on my 7th margarita which went well with the shot of Cabo Wabo".....reminds me of too many ladies of a certain age I know.

by Anonymousreply 71January 24, 2020 10:45 PM

I know Sol and Robert aren't exactly on fire with chemistry.

But Waterston and Sheen have FAR more chemistry than Jane does with Peter Gallagher. Peter is hot, and Jane looks great, but if there's even a small speck of chemistry there, Peter is carrying it.

by Anonymousreply 72January 24, 2020 11:03 PM

That grade-Z show has been on SIX YEARS? Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 73January 24, 2020 11:06 PM

I love the idea of the show but each season, after watching some episodes, I grow tired of Frankie's contrived wackiness and the ridiculous antics of the gay husbands.

by Anonymousreply 74January 28, 2020 8:08 PM

This season was much better than the previous season, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 75January 29, 2020 1:48 AM

Thanks to the poster upthread about the CGI Beauty info. I was wondering why Lily looked so different on G & F versus all her appearances on talk shows recently. I knew it must be a part of the show's production, but didn't know what it was called. She looks so different.

by Anonymousreply 76February 2, 2020 7:57 PM

I love this show but I am shocked that the creator was responsible for that bit of shit friends show.

by Anonymousreply 77February 2, 2020 8:53 PM

Jane Fonda looks fragile as hell. She looks like she'd snap in a light breeze.

by Anonymousreply 78February 2, 2020 9:11 PM

I miss hot dad Geoff Stultz. So handsome and hairy. They didn't even bother to show Mallory's kids this season.

The episode with Grace and the other trophy wives (even though they were younger than her own daughters) was actually kind. of good. And still Grace has Peter Gallagher. Until she doesn't, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 79February 3, 2020 1:03 AM

Geoff does not work enough.

HE should be doing Take Me Out on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 80February 3, 2020 8:51 AM

My Frau sister & Mom rave about G&F. I’ve only casually watched a handful of episodes each season, and though it’s a fresh premise with funny moments I find the execution too twee for my taste. There’s something a little inauthentic about it

It’s a pity Ethan Embry’s character wasn’t the gay one or at least bi-curious. To my knowledge he hasn’t done a gay role before or since Reese Witherspoon’s SWEET HOME ALABAMA in 2002. He’s too cute to waste on these dull str8 roles. Oh, well.

by Anonymousreply 81February 3, 2020 9:36 AM

r81

and I'm sure Coyote being a huge druggie did some gay shit for drugs

by Anonymousreply 82February 3, 2020 8:49 PM

I am still pissed. Fuck this queerbaiting show.

by Anonymousreply 83February 11, 2020 2:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!