Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What brand of smokes are y'all partaking in these days?

I recently switched to Vantage, my Dunhills were getting bland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131June 22, 2020 6:12 PM

I’m giving Pall Mall a go, but they’re not great.

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2020 3:11 AM

Gitanes- I love the smoky horse shit aroma

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2020 4:42 AM

Nat Sherman Black and Gold. I like my luxury. Once upon a time, I enjoyed Pall Mall but it seems to me they've gone downhill as some other brands have.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2020 4:46 AM

Just who the FUCK still smokes plain old tobacco?!?

Y’all BASIC!

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2020 4:48 AM

Virginia Slims, dahling!

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2020 4:52 AM

Just stop it right now! And come in the house, you’ll catch your death of cold.

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2020 5:01 AM

[quote] Y’all BASIC!

There actually was a cigarette brand called "Basic."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2020 5:06 AM

Former smoker here. Every now & then, I would try to treat myself to Dunhills. IMO, they had a stale taste. Go-to brand was Marlboro reds, I guess. In the box!

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2020 5:08 AM

37 years a daily smoker - started when I was 12 - grew up on Marlboro Reds - topped out on Newport Lights and Marlboro Menthol Lights - downgraded to Basics, Eagle 20, and ended with Sonoma - all in menthol lights.

I thought I'd be a smoker for the rest of my life as I'd tried to stop a handful of times with no success. However, I am happy to report that I have been completely smoke free for two full weeks - today is day 15!

For any of you who may want to quit, I can say that Chantix DOES work! I first tried quitting with Chantix a whole year ago when I was prescribed a two month supply. I started and finished the entire first month supply and smoked the entire time I took it - I didn't want to quit, and I was expecting the Chantix to MAKE ME QUIT! That's not how it works. I kept the other months supply on the shelf for the next year and I decided that I really DID want to quit, so I started taking it again as prescribed - and this time I quit! It's an amazing feeling.

Give Chantix a try AFTER you've resolutely decided that you DO, in fact, want to stop smoking for good. For the others - smoke as much as you like - obviously no judgement here. Best.

by Anonymousreply 9February 6, 2020 2:50 PM

I smoke Poles.

by Anonymousreply 10February 6, 2020 2:58 PM

I haven't had a cigarette in 9 years, 10 months. I smoked John Player Specials for years. I still miss that first cig with coffee in the morning. Really REALLY BAD!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 6, 2020 3:03 PM

Which ones are better and hotter, R10, the ones from Warsaw, Krakow or Lodz?

by Anonymousreply 12February 6, 2020 3:04 PM

Ah - that was my thing too - cigarettes with my morning coffee - loved the two together. Hell, I had smoked three cigarettes in the first hour of being awake with my coffee. That cigarette after eating was also a must have. To my amazement, however, I haven't had a cigarette since I quit two weeks ago. I've also been doing self-hypnosis on my way to sleep "I hate cigarettes" - "Smoking is so gross" - "I am a non smoker" etc. Congratulations to R11 on remaining smoke free for such a great length of time. Best.

by Anonymousreply 13February 6, 2020 3:20 PM

Marlboro Reds and scotch. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 14February 6, 2020 3:41 PM

my primary care physician recommends Camels

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 6, 2020 3:57 PM

R9, I quit with Chantix 9 years ago. Smoked for 30 years, Marlboro reds the whole time, thought I would smoke until the day I died I loved it so much. Around when I turned 50 Bloomberg raised the tax on cigarettes and somehow $400 a month was too much (but $370 the day before hadn't been...the reasoning of an addict). I had tried Chantix before with no result. I guess this time I was just done with smoking. I'd take it right before my morning coffee so I'd get a bit of a nicotine/caffeine buzz. I took it for two months and didn't bother renewing the prescription the third, and final, month. I was free.

I've never missed it since. I've even traveled with a group of smoking friends, lots of coffee, food and booze, and never thought of smoking for even a second.

by Anonymousreply 16February 6, 2020 4:09 PM

That's GRRRRRREAT! R16. So glad for you! Best.

by Anonymousreply 17February 6, 2020 4:13 PM

Next month will be my 20th year as a non-smoker. I thought I would never be able to quit, I kept trying and failing. I finally switch to nicotine gum and chewed that for years before I finally got off the gum. I can't even remember what brand I was smoking at the end.

Last night I was having a margarita and had a quick impulse to smoke.

by Anonymousreply 18February 6, 2020 4:16 PM

Find your own thread, ex-smokers!!

by Anonymousreply 19February 6, 2020 4:20 PM

I smoke a fag every now and then. Right ‘O.

by Anonymousreply 20February 6, 2020 4:24 PM

I miss cigarettes soooo much y’all :(

by Anonymousreply 21February 6, 2020 4:27 PM

weed

by Anonymousreply 22February 6, 2020 4:31 PM

Misty Lights, dear, because I’m a lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 6, 2020 4:34 PM

R18, can you share any noticeable health benefits you experienced along the way and approximately they time frame you experienced them? Did you feel any different after having stopped one year vs five years, for example?

by Anonymousreply 24February 6, 2020 4:35 PM

I used to smoke Parliaments. I liked the recessed filter.

by Anonymousreply 25February 6, 2020 4:40 PM

Still got my Kool menthols. They help my voice!

by Anonymousreply 26February 6, 2020 4:41 PM

I quit 30 years ago, and still miss it. I figure I'll start again when I'm 80 or so. For me it was B&H Deluxe Ultra Light Menthol 100s - (I know, big queen, right?) I don't remember how much I paid back when I quit, but I think it was maybe $1.50/pack? - I wasn't a heavy smoker, so a pack lasted me about 5-7 days - but it was still too much money for me. Of course I was also afraid of the health risks. The evidence is indisputable. My Dad smoked from the age of 11 till his death at 84 (with cancer). He was a chain smoker, Pall Mall - no filter - I couldn't believe how much money he was spending on cigarettes, and my parent's were not wealthy people, for them $600/mo was half their income! Of course my mom never smoked.

by Anonymousreply 27February 6, 2020 4:47 PM

Only poors still smoke in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 28February 6, 2020 4:50 PM

I smoked for almost 20 years. It's now been 8 years since I quit. I smoked Marlboro Ultra Lights when I quit, but had dabbled in Camel Lights, Marlboro Lights and Dunhill on occasion when I thought I was fancy. But those Dunhill cigarettes take forever to burn! I would always end up tossing one halfway through, which was a waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 29February 6, 2020 5:05 PM

Basic cost more than Marlboros now. What once was a generic cigarette brand now costs more than the name brand Marlboros. Altria/Philip Morris doesn't offer promotions on Basic cigarettes so if you can find them in stores, they'll cost more than Marlboros. They won't be discontinued as a brand until it's isn't sustainable as a brand (i.e. all their customers die/quit/switch).

by Anonymousreply 30February 7, 2020 4:48 AM

I quit smoking last year after I had open heart surgery at 29 (unrelated to the smoking; had a bad aortic valve and an aneurysm caused by congenital defect). I'm on blood thinners for the mechanical valve and it's not worth the risk. That said, when I did smoke, I did it in spurts and was never consistent—but I loved the gold pack American Spirit. They were the "light organic" brand, I think. I smoked Parliaments too when I was in college and grad school. I liked the blue Dunhills as well (which I believe were the lights), but they're not commonly available here in the U.S. unless you go to a specialty tobacco shop.

by Anonymousreply 31February 7, 2020 4:53 AM

Nothing says "butch top" like my MORE 120s!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 7, 2020 5:03 AM

Quit 10 years ago and so glad I did.

by Anonymousreply 33February 7, 2020 5:04 AM

Was a smoker 1981-2013, Vaped for a year, stopped completely and briefly tried being a 'social smoker' and limiting myself to a single pack (American Spirit Light Green to answer OPs original question) - am proud to say I once again am tobacco free as of January 1.

They taste horrible, the smell nasty, and they prematurely age the fuck outta you in addition to all of the lung/heart shit. When I smoked all of that was irrelevant.

Final Reason?

1981 - .65/pack (Marlboro Golds, or as we called them then, Lights)

2013 - 11.18/pack (NAS)

though oddly enough 2019 - 10.82/pack (NAS)

using that math my first job woulda paid $44/hr.

by Anonymousreply 34February 7, 2020 5:09 AM

Marlboros are still under $6 in Virginia, so the occasional smoking spell doesn't dent my budget.

by Anonymousreply 35February 7, 2020 1:50 PM

I remember the first time I quit smoking in 1985, a pack of Marlboro Reds was $1.15, and I refused to tolerate such an expensive extravagance!

by Anonymousreply 36February 7, 2020 3:11 PM

Whatever Rush Limbaugh is smoking!

by Anonymousreply 37February 7, 2020 3:17 PM

I also was a social smoker and justified it that way, but quit for good ten years ago. I’m surprised how many of my friends still smoke in this day and age. It’s prohibited everywhere, even in your own apartment buildings, so it just seems like too much of a hassle. I thought it was really fun, though. Such a great ritual to open a new pack and take the little piece of foil out. One of the biggest barriers to quitting was the memories I had of pleasure and socializing associated with smoking. When you quit, you have to change your whole mindset, but it does take after awhile. I smoked marlboro lights and American Spirits. My skin and teeth look great now! My vanity was the main motivator to quitting. You see a difference in your face after only a week or two.

by Anonymousreply 38February 7, 2020 4:24 PM

Eve 120s. I'm a modern gurl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 7, 2020 4:27 PM

Y'all need to switch to weed.

by Anonymousreply 40February 7, 2020 4:38 PM

I don't like smoking weed (too much of a paranoid high), but do vape it. It doesn't replace the physical feeling of smoking cigs.

by Anonymousreply 41February 7, 2020 4:40 PM

Increased consciousness is not the same as paranoia. If there were no laws against it, then there would be no reason to feel that way.

by Anonymousreply 42February 7, 2020 4:44 PM

None, I prefer not to die from lung cancer. But if you want to go the way Rush Limbaugh is, go ahead, light up.

by Anonymousreply 43February 7, 2020 4:44 PM

None. I smoked since I was a teenager (I'm now in my 40's). I tried to go with e-cigs briefly about 5 years ago, but they were a pain in the ass having to recharge them, never knowing when the cartridge was actually empty, taking draw from them in general. I inadvertently weened myself off smoking regular cigarettes as a result.

I've never tried Chantix, but in my case, it was depression and anxiety that I really needed to get under control.

Also, the other motivation - I bought a condo and had it renovated, new carpeting, new cabinetry, newly resurfaced and painted walls, etc... Got rid of all my old furniture and started new.

by Anonymousreply 44February 7, 2020 5:00 PM

[quote]Only poors still smoke in 2020.

Only IDIOTS still smoke in 2020. I have no sympathy for anyone under 60 who smokes. The dangers of smoking were well-publicized by the time you took up the filthy habit.

by Anonymousreply 45February 7, 2020 11:39 PM

R45

The risks have also been exaggerated and stretched by public health organizations, as admitted by them.

by Anonymousreply 46February 8, 2020 7:01 AM

The risks of weed are exaggerated.

The risks of tobacco are not.

by Anonymousreply 47February 8, 2020 9:35 AM

R45 they called them cancer sticks in the 1800's, over 60 and still smoke...fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 48February 8, 2020 10:16 AM

Lots of bitter ex smokers in this thread. You know we know they are terrible for us, but at this point, they make me happy and quell my anxiety, and I can't afford to live to 100. Sorry you can't have one.

I roll my own with filter tubes, because I found a tobacco I really enjoy. Similar to Export As back in the day. I am smoking one right now with a cup of PEETS coffee.

by Anonymousreply 49February 8, 2020 10:38 AM

PS, not poor. Guess who has to bring 20 extra when I go out, because everyone else has "quit"?

by Anonymousreply 50February 8, 2020 10:40 AM

Poor people can't afford to smoke, they are almost $15 a pack here in NYC. After smoking Marlboro Mediums for almost 25 years I just switched over to Juul 5% Virginia Tobacco two months ago. I still smoke weed using my one-hitter that is painted to look like a cigarette, though I also use my weed vape. Vaping is not as satisfying as a cigarette but my lungs hurt less and the Juul pods are less expensive.

by Anonymousreply 51February 8, 2020 11:23 AM

These were wonderful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 8, 2020 11:55 AM

I'm a non-smoker, never even tried one. I've recently had a lot of renovations going on at my house and every single tradesman that worked on the house smoked, every one. I think smoking is definitely a lower-class thing any more.

by Anonymousreply 53February 8, 2020 12:31 PM

THREE WEEKS!

by Anonymousreply 54February 12, 2020 1:46 PM

I just lit up my second red of the day. Been trying the Marlboro Black menthols... really smooth and they don't give me the headache/spaciness menthols usually give me.

by Anonymousreply 55February 12, 2020 1:48 PM

Smoker’s Pride Black Cavendish cut with gambler tobacco to make it burn fast. Apparently this is sacrilege as pipe smokers pretend they don’t inhale.

It gives me that bong hit blast through a pipe that even filterless can’t deliver.

by Anonymousreply 56February 12, 2020 2:01 PM

I quit cigarettes but I can still blow smoke rings from my bussy! I keep a tip jar on the bed next to my face, down in the pillows.

by Anonymousreply 57February 13, 2020 1:28 AM

FOUR WEEKS today - SMOKE FREE!

R9

by Anonymousreply 58February 19, 2020 11:04 AM

Belmonts.

by Anonymousreply 59February 19, 2020 11:15 AM

SIX WEEKS smoke free today!!!!

I now consider myself to be a non smoker. If I can stop smoking after 37 years, then so can you if you want to quit. Again, Chantix works!

R9

by Anonymousreply 60March 4, 2020 4:58 PM

I've bumped my intake to a full pack a day. 💪🏼

by Anonymousreply 61March 4, 2020 5:02 PM

Egyptian mass market Cleopatra. When I was younger they were practically free - 2 USD a CARTON - so I developed a taste. They taste and smell like Cairo to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 4, 2020 5:12 PM

Camel Blues. They recently changed the tobacco blend and it's delicious. Much better than Marlboro Lights.

by Anonymousreply 63March 4, 2020 5:21 PM

Camel nonfilters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 4, 2020 7:37 PM

TWO MONTHS TODAY!! Two months SMOKE FREE!!

- R9

by Anonymousreply 65March 18, 2020 11:07 AM

I've come a long way baby

And neither I nor my cigarette are going back.

by Anonymousreply 66March 18, 2020 11:37 AM

Smoking increases your risk with COV-19 being potentially more fatal. Y'all are idiots.

Smoking in this day and age, with all the information and warnings just proves your parents partook and suffered the consequences by having you.

by Anonymousreply 67March 18, 2020 11:44 AM

My mother, whose brand of choice was unfiltered Pall Malls, died of a heart attack and lung cancer at the age of 71. She also had COPD. When I asked her why didn't stop smoking, she said that she feared gaining weight. To be fair, she had lost 18 lb right before she died.

I'm sure she's smoking in Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 68March 18, 2020 12:11 PM

Marlboro Black Menthols are pretty damn tasty. Been starting my morning with them then moving on to reds.

by Anonymousreply 69March 18, 2020 12:27 PM

Tasty? That's your lungs backing up. Smokers lose their sense of taste and smell. It's why they stink so bad.

by Anonymousreply 70March 18, 2020 1:15 PM

Tasty is an understatement... love that delicious smoke filling up my lungs.

by Anonymousreply 71March 18, 2020 1:33 PM

I smoked from age 15 until age 32. I quit a little over 23 years ago but the last four years I smoked I was smoking four packs a day.

I quit with NicoDerm CQ on my third attempt.

Because of my tobacco habit I am afraid I am as at risk of catching the coronavirus as someone in their mid-70s would be. I’m 56

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 18, 2020 1:58 PM

I was a one pack a day smoker, and I considered that to be a bit excessive. I cannot imagine four packs per day. You'd have to be chain smoking twelve hours a day.

by Anonymousreply 73March 18, 2020 2:06 PM

R72 here, My late best friend was very politically driven. He gave me the best reason to quit smoking.

He said “You might as well be giving Jesse Helms a campaign contribution because he will take your money and be glad that you died”

by Anonymousreply 74March 18, 2020 2:09 PM

I smoke Corona Blacks, they give me a dry cough though.

by Anonymousreply 75March 18, 2020 2:20 PM

I'd rather hang out with smokers than a prissy finger-wagging scold like r67.

by Anonymousreply 76March 18, 2020 2:36 PM

R15, I have some vintage magazines from 1945, and that very ad appeared in full page format in the Saturday Evening Post.

by Anonymousreply 77March 18, 2020 2:59 PM

Smoking? Gross, Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 78March 18, 2020 3:00 PM

Haven't had a cigarette since September 1984.

by Anonymousreply 79March 18, 2020 3:02 PM

Virginia slims menthol 100’s in the box.

by Anonymousreply 80March 18, 2020 3:04 PM

R75 That's from your yet to be diagnosed lung disease.

by Anonymousreply 81March 18, 2020 3:04 PM

My cousin and I were best friends friends growing up. He was a hard core chain smoker who would light his next cigarette with the one he was about to put out. He moved to Virginia and in 2012 developed lung cancer, and it was not a pleasant death. He decided to move back home to spend his remaining time with family and relatives. The night before he was scheduled to fly home he passed away It still pains me to this day whenever I look at old photos from when we were kids.

Stop. Just Stop.

by Anonymousreply 82March 18, 2020 3:22 PM

Mmm.. about to break into the secret stash and sit on the back porch for a couple smokes.

by Anonymousreply 83March 18, 2020 3:24 PM

I call for Philip Morris, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 18, 2020 3:32 PM

r81 missed the joke.

by Anonymousreply 85March 18, 2020 3:40 PM

At 56 I’m just barely old enough to remember cigarette commercials on television. (I watched far too much television as a young child)

Kools had the slogan “Throat hot? Smoke Kools!”

My grandmother smoked unfiltered Lucky Strikes.

They abbreviated their slogan “Lucky Strikes means fine tobacco“ as L.S.M.F.T.

My grandmother said that abbreviation stood for ”Lord save me from Truman”

by Anonymousreply 86March 18, 2020 3:45 PM

R86 - I had a friend in high school (I’m 28) who’s mom smoked unfiltered Lucky Strikes and she let me have a few on occasions when I would be out of my own cigs (dunhills or benson/hedges) when I smoked way back then.....AND DEAR GOD THEY BURNED THE SHIT out of my throat.

by Anonymousreply 87March 18, 2020 3:49 PM

R75 will miss life with back in the day when he had two functioning lungs.

by Anonymousreply 88March 18, 2020 3:50 PM

David McLean, The Marlboro Man, died from lung cancer in 1995.

by Anonymousreply 89March 18, 2020 3:57 PM

He was so hot. Would've buried my face in his smokey clothes for a good whiff of tobacco and man.

by Anonymousreply 90March 18, 2020 3:59 PM

I smoked candy cigarettes and bubble gum cigarettes as a kid. But never indulged in the real thing.

I also remember the fake cigarettes that had some type of powdered substance, and released a little cloud not when you huffed and puffed on the end. It was probably powdered asbestos.

by Anonymousreply 91March 18, 2020 4:03 PM

How much money does one spend in a year, or even in a month, on cigarettes?

😂 You could save all of that money in a shoebox, and take a nice cruise, or fly to China for authentic Chinese take out.

by Anonymousreply 92March 18, 2020 4:12 PM

Less than what you queens spend on botox to keep your lips pursed in permanent tsk-tsk mode

by Anonymousreply 93March 18, 2020 4:14 PM

R92 - In cook county....a fortune.

by Anonymousreply 94March 18, 2020 4:15 PM

When cigarettes went up to $1.25 a pack, that's when I quit.

That price was [italic] outrageous !

by Anonymousreply 95March 18, 2020 4:18 PM

R86 here. I know this is off-topic but when I mentioned my grandmother it reminded me of something and I didn’t want to have to start a new thread just for this.

She loved her soap operas (The only one she watched that I liked was dark shadows) If I spoke while her soap operas were on she would say “ Don’t bother me when my stories are on”

by Anonymousreply 96March 18, 2020 4:19 PM

I remember how we'd laugh at the pretentious poseurs who smoked the "fancy" cigarettes like Dunhill or Sobranie because, you know, Marlboro and Camel were just too, too common.

by Anonymousreply 97March 18, 2020 4:45 PM

I smoke American Spirits yellow . About a pack a day ,give or take . I tried a 1000 times to quit but Ive resigned myself to dying younger than I should. My grandfather smoked 2 packs a day of Winston 100s and lived to 87 . He started smoking when he was 8 ! I hate the amount of money I spend on it , but now that Im old and fat and unfuckable ,dont party or do drugs or have friends, I say fuck it !

by Anonymousreply 98March 18, 2020 5:00 PM

My paternal grandfather smoked unfiltered Philip Morris cigarettes and lived to be 85. One of my maternal great-grandmothers smoked unfiltered Pall Malls and lived to be 91. Life is a crapshoot.

by Anonymousreply 99March 18, 2020 5:03 PM

[quote]I smoked candy cigarettes and bubble gum cigarettes as a kid.

You SMOKED them? My, you were HARDCORE! My parents never let me play with matches.

by Anonymousreply 100March 18, 2020 5:16 PM

I've been to a lot of foreign countries and it seems like pretty much ALL of them have more smokers (per capita) than the US. However, I was just in Kenya and was surprised to see very, very few people smoking.

by Anonymousreply 101March 18, 2020 5:18 PM

I gave up trillions of years ago, and don’t really miss it per se. My favourite smoke, though, was this, and I still love the the pack:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102March 18, 2020 5:36 PM

I believe Benson & Hedges are no longer made. Everybody's mom smoked those or Virginia Slims in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 103March 18, 2020 5:39 PM

I've lit a candy cigarette before and the smell of a burning candy cigarette is unmistakable. They're dried marshmallow sticks.

by Anonymousreply 104March 18, 2020 5:42 PM

R100, Are you old enough to remember them?

The were white candy, with a pinkish red tip to emulate a lit cigarette. We'd go through the motions like seasoned smokers, but we weren't fooling anyone except ourselves. But it sure was fun !

by Anonymousreply 105March 18, 2020 6:56 PM

My grampa Giovanni used to roll his own. He had a rolling machine that he brought from Italy, and it really worked pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 106March 18, 2020 6:58 PM

R9 here again. THREE MONTHS!!!! THREE MONTHS A NON SMOKER TODAY!!!! Just this morning for the third time during my experience, I again absent minded reached for a pack of cigarettes on my desk which were not there after reading a very funny post on DL. The struggle is real but totally worth it.

CHANTIX!

by Anonymousreply 107April 15, 2020 3:15 PM

Cigarette smoking is disgusting. Every last one of you is 100% unfuckable.

by Anonymousreply 108April 15, 2020 3:36 PM

I haven't smoked in years (Marlboro Lights then Marlboro Ultra Lights) but this topic reminds me of all the cigarette advertising there used to be on cabs, buses, billboards, and in newspapers and magazines. I remember "Carlton is Lowest" on NYC cabs everywhere and Newport on the buses (demographics, you know). I guess when they could no longer advertise on TV they had plenty of money to spend everywhere else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109April 15, 2020 3:38 PM

I quit smoking almost 35 years ago, on August 1, 1985.

Before that, I had quit several times, once for almost 2 years. But I gradually came to realize I smoked for emotional reasons. Years later, a therapist once told me, “Nicotine is one of two substances scientifically proven to inhibit emotional response.” And, later, when I was a psych nurse, the one thing the patients were fixated in was their smoke breaks.

My favorite brand was Lark, now long gone. (“Show us your Lark pack!”) But, during periods when I was trying to quit, I’d smoke Salem or Newport, because I hated menthol.

by Anonymousreply 110April 15, 2020 3:47 PM

Smoking increases your risk of death from Corona so smoke away addicts.

by Anonymousreply 111April 15, 2020 3:50 PM

Nat Sherman Hint , but I'm a highly sporadic smoker .

by Anonymousreply 112April 15, 2020 3:52 PM

[R109]: I can remember walking through the main hall of Grand Central Station, probably in the 70’s, past an advertising standee, with a hologram of Tom Selleck smiling and lifting a Salem cigarette to his lips as I passed.

(This was when Selleck was a model, before his later successes.)

by Anonymousreply 113April 15, 2020 3:52 PM

I quit years ago, but two weeks ago I had been drinking and I put on my mask, walked to Exxon, and bought a pack of Dunhills. I smoked one and threw the rest away. Blame it on corona.

by Anonymousreply 114April 15, 2020 4:17 PM

R9 here. FOUR MONTHS TODAY!!!! FOR MONTHS NO SMOKE AFTER 37 YEARS!!!!

by Anonymousreply 115May 13, 2020 7:50 PM

American Spirits Periques

by Anonymousreply 116May 13, 2020 7:56 PM

I only ever socially smoked off and on (usually exacerbated by drinking) and my favorites were Marlboro Ultra Lights, and Camel Crush. The latter being extra addictive, to my brain anyway. I also sometimes go the rainbow Nat Shermans or the occasional Davidoff if I could find them. Regular Camel Lights were disgusting as were Newports. Blech. I haven't socially smoked in 10 years. Quit for good.

by Anonymousreply 117May 13, 2020 8:04 PM

OP are you from Canada? Years ago when I smoked, I would stop in the duty free shops after leaving Canada and would buy Dunhill. I could never find them anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 118May 13, 2020 8:09 PM

Quit 20 years ago after 25 years smoking (first Salem then Dunhill Menthol's) and fairly certain I'd be dead if hadn't.

I do miss my slim cigarette case and duPont lighter, but not the ciggies.

Side benefit: when cellphones happened, you couldn't carry one AND a pack of cigarettes: too much work, not enough pockets.

by Anonymousreply 119May 13, 2020 8:40 PM

Congratulations R115. Day 65 for me, after smoking for 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 120May 13, 2020 9:42 PM

And congratulations to you, as well, R120. Good job - keep going!

- R9

by Anonymousreply 121May 13, 2020 11:30 PM

[quote] I remember "Carlton is Lowest" on NYC cabs everywhere and Newport on the buses (demographics, you know).

When I was nineteen (in 1982) the NYC cabs with the cigarette ads on top, that white plastic triangular shaped thing, had a 50 cent surcharge to ride in. I was dating this very cheap-ass guy in his thirties who refused to get in one. He reasoned the cab company was already making money from the cigarette ad, why should they charge the passengers an extra 50 cents!?

Of course the 50 cents went to the driver not the medallion owner, and he was a cheap loser and a Republican, so I stopped seeing him.

by Anonymousreply 122May 14, 2020 1:53 AM

I smoked my last cigarette on Jan 23, 2020 and on June 25, I will be FIVE POINT FIVE MONTHS SMOKE FREE!! FIVE AND A HALF MONTHS!!

I spotted one, single pristine cigarette on the sidewalk the other morning while walking my dog, and I walked past it without a thought at all.

CHANTIX WORKS!

- R9

by Anonymousreply 123June 22, 2020 11:41 AM

[quote]When I was nineteen (in 1982) the NYC cabs with the cigarette ads on top, that white plastic triangular shaped thing, had a 50 cent surcharge to ride in.

I never knew that.

Remember "Carlton Is Lowest"? and they tasted of nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 22, 2020 11:59 AM

r122, could one smoke in those cabs? Was that what the fifty cent surcharge was for?

by Anonymousreply 125June 22, 2020 12:27 PM

I remember Carltons, they were like smoking warm air, no taste at all. I don't think Vantage is made anymore, that was Bette Davis's preferred cigarette in her later years.

by Anonymousreply 126June 22, 2020 12:58 PM

American Spirit yellow. I used to love Parliaments for that hard hollow filter.

Smoked for many years, quit and now I smoke one cigarette per day, and can give it up for long periods. When I can, it’s one per day. During the lockdown I went six weeks without smoking. You might ask why not just go with it and quit permanently. I don’t know; it’s psychological. It’s my one vice. I gave up sugar and most carbs, I drink one or two cocktails a month, etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 127June 22, 2020 1:09 PM

I could never smoke American Spirits, they gave me a splitting headache and made me feel nauseous. Camel Blue and Parliament were my favorites. Marlboro had a terrible chemical taste, imho.

by Anonymousreply 128June 22, 2020 2:00 PM

Marlboro Reds. Smoked for over 40 years. This September it will be 6 years since I quit. I quit because I could no longer afford to smoke, financially and health wise. Now financially I can afford to smoke, but there is so much freedom not being addicted to cigarettes and of course the health benefits of no smoking. I never lost my sense of taste or smell when I smoked. Strangely when I smelled someone else's cigarette burning I found the smell repulsive, yet didn't find mine repulsive when I lit up. I couldn't imagine dating someone that smokes.

by Anonymousreply 129June 22, 2020 2:48 PM

Why are you anti-smoking a-holes posting on a smoking-friendly board? Gtf out of here you preachy buzz-kills.

by Anonymousreply 130June 22, 2020 3:22 PM

[quote][R122], could one smoke in those cabs? Was that what the fifty cent surcharge was for?

Yes, you could smoke in cabs, it wasn't a big deal at all and most people who felt like it lit up!

I think the surcharge might have been only at night as an incentive for the drivers to drive in the evenings and therefore get to make more money from the added fifty cents a trip.

by Anonymousreply 131June 22, 2020 6:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!