Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Patti Smith on Jimmy Fallon, damn damn

Wow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142January 18, 2020 6:57 AM

And talking about Johnny Carson 40 years ago. Wow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 11, 2020 12:18 AM

Still ugly! Just added old to the mix.

by Anonymousreply 2January 11, 2020 2:21 AM

For some reason I ran into her in movie theatres - must have been the 90s. I was always shocked by her weird look.

by Anonymousreply 3January 11, 2020 2:26 AM

She looks like a homeless street urchin. Where’s the glamor?

by Anonymousreply 4January 11, 2020 2:40 AM

Still ugly. Still pretentious. Still an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 5January 11, 2020 2:45 AM

Survivuh!

by Anonymousreply 6January 11, 2020 3:25 AM

This is someone whose name I've always seen but I have no idea what she did or what she is famous for.

by Anonymousreply 7January 11, 2020 3:26 AM

If only there was a way to read a brief biography on Patti Smith.

by Anonymousreply 8January 11, 2020 3:28 AM

R7, Surely you have heard this song at some point in your life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 11, 2020 3:30 AM

i know she's a hero to many gay men and lesbians, but I always find her a dreary poseur.

by Anonymousreply 10January 11, 2020 3:40 AM

Why would she be a "hero to many gay men and lesbians?" She's not gay and has never expressed any affinity for gays as far as I know.

by Anonymousreply 11January 11, 2020 3:53 AM

Maybe because she was friends with Robert Mapplethorpe.

She WAS a dreary poseur, but sometimes those poseurs are genuinely talented too. She wrote some lovely songs (my favorite is "Frederick").

by Anonymousreply 12January 11, 2020 4:13 AM

I have no idea why she would be, r11; I have just said i know she _is._

by Anonymousreply 13January 11, 2020 4:19 AM

She and Mapplethorpe clicked because they had a lot in common: both considered themselves extremely talented artists (neither one of them was), had immense egos, and had the same life goals: to be rich and famous. Oh yeah, and they both were horrible people. They were actually in a sexual relationship. When Smith decided to end it and go on without him he supposedly cried "If you leave me I'll turn gay!" I think that's pretty funny, since despite being Smith's lover he was always gay as a goose. Anway, they were both two truly, profoundly fucked up people and people like that are drawn to each other.

by Anonymousreply 14January 11, 2020 4:41 AM

She was also friends with Jim Carroll. I liked some of her stuff last century. I think "People have the Power" is brilliant and very uplifting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 11, 2020 5:07 AM

When her music is good it is really really good. I saw her just after her first album, she opened for Journey.

by Anonymousreply 16January 11, 2020 5:08 AM

She's still alive?

by Anonymousreply 17January 11, 2020 5:24 AM

Odd thread. I thought Patti would be more well liked on here. I love her and her passion for life and art.

by Anonymousreply 18January 11, 2020 5:34 AM

Some "poseur," keeping up an "act" for decades.

by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2020 5:50 AM

Yeah well, I ran into Candy Slice recently, and Mr. Gravity has not done that girl any favors.

by Anonymousreply 20January 11, 2020 5:57 AM

Caneface for days.

by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2020 5:58 AM

Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine.

by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2020 11:09 AM

When I read "Just Kids", I went from curious to annoyed to hate-reading it and wishing her violent death by the end. She is Pol Pot / Trump / Mother Teresa levels of horrible.

by Anonymousreply 23January 11, 2020 12:55 PM

[quote]she opened for Journey.

Are you serious?

by Anonymousreply 24January 11, 2020 5:08 PM

Patti Smith is a heroic figure to some (smart, literate) gays and lesbians the same way Joni Mitchell is. And like Joni, she has a lot of haters on here, too.

To each his/her own. For those of you who don't know who she is or why she matters...

Find the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 25January 11, 2020 5:27 PM

Yes, R24. After her band played I asked my friends if we could leave now, as I didn't want to see Journey, but I didn't get my way.

by Anonymousreply 26January 11, 2020 6:12 PM

I thought that Patti was annoying and too 'try-hard' when she was young, but now that she's old I've come to love her and her look. Tired of 80 year-old women trying to look like sex kittens.

by Anonymousreply 27January 11, 2020 6:17 PM

I love her. her horses album was out of this world. Loved how a not so pretty lady could make it in the rock world where being pretty counts for about 90 per cent of being successful.

by Anonymousreply 28January 11, 2020 6:43 PM

I’m tired of people who make NO efforts with their appearance. Celebrities with faces full of fillers are a welcome relief from the dullness of ugly ordinary people.

by Anonymousreply 29January 11, 2020 6:52 PM

Yes, maybe if Patti followed Charo's steps you would love her more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 11, 2020 7:07 PM

She seems pleasant enough.

by Anonymousreply 31January 11, 2020 7:16 PM

Back in her punk rock heydey I remember the craziest shit written about her. And it was true, not made up. A Creem magazine article said that she was good at spitting, would wet her pants when she got excited and fantasized about having a threesome with Keith Richards and Anita Pallenberg. At her first meeting with Dylan Smith was quoted as saying they "suckled each other for a while." WTF? At any rate, Smith's appeal has always escaped me, although she was a good representative of the punk rock scene for a while. In fact, if there had been no punk rock there would be no Patti Smith; she was in the right place at the right time. Unattractive, nasty, pretentious...she was punk rock personified.

by Anonymousreply 32January 11, 2020 7:59 PM

Dried-up old dyke.

by Anonymousreply 33January 11, 2020 8:28 PM

Patti doesn’t have a fraction of Charo’s talent.

by Anonymousreply 34January 11, 2020 8:31 PM

R4 There's no glamour in punk rock, you queen

by Anonymousreply 35January 12, 2020 8:23 AM

She looks like she smells.

by Anonymousreply 36January 12, 2020 10:35 AM

Damn if she fell into a tub of green dye she'd look like the Wicked Witch of the West

by Anonymousreply 37January 12, 2020 10:49 AM

Her version of Because the Night is one of the greatest recordings ever made. I don't listen to it that much these days but she really is the one who made the song work so well. She IS the song.

by Anonymousreply 38January 12, 2020 10:54 AM

"Her version of Because the Night is one of the greatest recordings ever made. I don't listen to it that much these days but she really is the one who made the song work so well. She IS the song."

Oh, please. That song is a mediocrity. A mediocrity that was Smith's only hit record. And she never would have had even that if it weren't for Bruce Springsteen, who wrote the music and chorus of the song. At any rate there was critics who commented on how sad it was that the raging Priestess of Punk Rock was reduced to doing an undistinguished pop song with lame lyrics like 'because the night belongs to lovers, because the night belongs to us." And Smith's "singing" is hard to listen to, as it always was. She was a "singer" who could not sing at all.

by Anonymousreply 39January 12, 2020 5:27 PM

Am sure most of you cunty haters have not listened to ANY of her music. So here (and note all that she can do with that voice, which still sounds fantastic):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 12, 2020 5:54 PM

R32, 100% true. Just listen to Ari Smith of The Slits talk about what a bitch Patti was to them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 12, 2020 5:55 PM

"Am sure most of you cunty haters have not listened to ANY of her music."

I had her first album "Horses." I thought it was interesting. But I never thought she could sing. But being a punk rock singer, it was not necessary to be able to sing. All you had to do was scream, yowl, make noises. In Smith's case she would sometimes just talk to music instead of sing. She is, and always has been, very unpleasant to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 42January 12, 2020 6:58 PM

Patti Smith defines pretentious NYC art-rock more than anyone else. She is a good example of why punk music from other regions (LA, Bay Area and London) was so much better.

by Anonymousreply 43January 12, 2020 7:17 PM

I've only heard her first three albums. I know Horses gets all the attention, but I also love her third album, Easter. Is any of her later work worth checking out? I had no idea her 1996 album Gone Again was the last work to feature Jeff Buckley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 12, 2020 7:47 PM

That's a fun story, R41. I love The Slits, but didn't really know much about Ari Up herself. As nutty as Patti might have been, she seemed to have eventually matured. Not sure about Ari. I wonder how her children are doing...

[quote]After The Slits disbanded in 1981, Ari moved with her husband and twin sons to jungle regions of Indonesia and Belize and lived among indigenous people in those areas. Later, they moved to Jamaica, eventually settling in Kingston. She continued to make music, first with the New Age Steppers, then as a solo artist, using the stage names Baby Ari, Madussa, and Ari Up. In 2000, [Ari's stepfather and Sex Pistols lead singer] John Lydon and Ari's mother Nora became legal guardians of Ari's twin boys; as Lydon explained "[Ari] let them run free. They couldn’t read, write or form proper sentences. One day Ari said she couldn’t cope with them any more. I suggested they came to us because I wasn’t having them abandoned. They gave us hell, but I loved having kids around."

by Anonymousreply 45January 12, 2020 8:02 PM

Ari was a mess. Definition of European trustafarian.

by Anonymousreply 46January 12, 2020 8:44 PM

Patti seems mellow and nice these days, but the the extent of her talent is questionable. I watched a video a few months ago on YouTube taken from a Swedish talkshow where she performed a song for her recently-deceased friend, Sam Shepard. Seth Meyers was also there for some godawful reason, and the whole of the song consisted of Patti doing spoken word while strumming a D chord on a guitar for 3 minutes straight (seriously).

I follow her Instagram page, and she seems to live the sort of life that every 20-year-old millennial hipster was emulating in the 2010s—there are lots of pictures of cups of coffee placed next to books, scribblings on notepads, etc., and every post has free-form poetic "stanzas" as a caption. I think she is being genuine, though I can see why people think she is a pretentious person. I do appreciate some of her work as a lyricist and vocalist, but I also think people overestimate her cultural influence. There is a lot of the worship of her that seems to be posturing rather than legitimate admiration.

by Anonymousreply 47January 13, 2020 3:44 AM

I love a lot of her music, but I don't love her non-fiction writing.

I found JUST KIDS had a few touching moments, but thought it overrated, to R47's point. And THE M TRAIN was just pointless to me.

It does seem like suddenly, people of all ages who'd never heard of her were reading these books. I wish they'd go back and listen to her albums instead.

by Anonymousreply 48January 13, 2020 3:53 AM

I saw her young, downtown, on stage a few time. Chick could not hit a note. Decent energy though and she was most definitely Jolie laide. I did enjoy her first albums with clearly profited from analogue studio wizardry. Live, she was painful, like Gilda Radner memorably sent up.

by Anonymousreply 49January 13, 2020 4:47 AM

She's great. I've seen her perform twice, and met her in person at NYC events.

Haters are idiots. Go play some ABBA, queens.

by Anonymousreply 50January 13, 2020 5:25 AM

Accidentally FF'd you, r47. Your post made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 51January 13, 2020 8:58 AM

R51 it's fine. I found the clip I mentioned

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 13, 2020 9:07 AM

At the end of the day though, I do think she's had her moments of glory, and this is one of them—a genius performance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 13, 2020 9:08 AM

The band is certainly on fire, too.

by Anonymousreply 54January 13, 2020 12:06 PM

She's cool. However, I don't think she's as great as some people make her out to be.

by Anonymousreply 55January 13, 2020 12:22 PM

Incantatory, self-important ranting isn't my cup of bourbon.

Exception: PJ Harvey, who is much more fun to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 56January 13, 2020 1:06 PM

She seems like a nice person, but she was rude to Joan Jett and her band-mates, and to Debbie Harry in the past. So she's evidently not as low-maintenance and chill as she comes across.

by Anonymousreply 57January 13, 2020 1:09 PM

R56 PJ is far more musically talented that Patti ever could be, though. Patti is in truth basically a spoken word artist--she isn't really a musician.

by Anonymousreply 58January 13, 2020 6:50 PM

"Haters are idiots."

Oh shut up, asshole. Not everybody worships Patti Smith. One critic called her "the most pretentious artist in the history of music." And that is so true.

by Anonymousreply 59January 13, 2020 7:50 PM

And R59, your binary 'hate or love' idiom is puerile.

One (unnamed or sourced) critic? Oh, well, we must all agree then!

Inane person. Have you ever performed any form of music in your life?

by Anonymousreply 60January 13, 2020 10:36 PM

She dates Ralph Fiennes. Take that bitches.

by Anonymousreply 61January 13, 2020 10:42 PM

She hated Debbie Harry - who had talent, brains - and beauty.

by Anonymousreply 62January 13, 2020 10:42 PM

"Inane person. Have you ever performed any form of music in your life?"

Have YOU? If you worship Patti Smith as an exceptional "musician" I seriously doubt you ever have. You wouldn't know good music if it bit you on the ass.

by Anonymousreply 63January 13, 2020 11:55 PM

R63 = a trollette who refuses to answer a question with anything other than a repeat of said question is an empty glass. Admit you have no musical skill or knowledge.

Also, R63, the dullard, thinks only in binary choices; "worship" vs detestation or dismissal; another sign of stupidity.

Play some Billie Eilish to calm yourself. You're very angry.

by Anonymousreply 64January 14, 2020 12:02 AM

She's hardly punk rock nor was she ever. Her heyday was the early 70s. She's genuine and authentic and kind. But DLers prefer fake and mean.

by Anonymousreply 65January 14, 2020 12:16 AM

R64 is in love with Patti Smith. Admit that you are in love with her and are totally ignorant of what constitutes musicianship and talent.

Also, R64, the simpleton, cannot comprehend that there are others in the world who do not share his love of Smith, another sigh of his mental impairment.

Have a nice cup of cocoa to settle your overwrought nerves. It is obvious you're very upset to hear criticism of your beloved (who, incidentally doesn't know or care that you are alive).

by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2020 12:18 AM

Still a badass.

by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2020 12:27 AM

R66 = more exemplary sociopathic behavior. R66 can only mimic others' more astute critiques.

R66 is angry that anyone likes a musician completely unfamiliar to him/her (most likely male, due to the vehement anger displayed).

R66 has no understanding that one can appreciate Patti Smith, as well as a wide range of other musicians not in her genre.

R66 is a hollow dullard, a feckless dog gnawing on a textual chew toy.

by Anonymousreply 68January 14, 2020 12:29 AM

She was a big supporter of gay culture back in the 70s. Friends with Mapplethorpe and Ginsburg. Also hung out with Warhol and his trannies.

by Anonymousreply 69January 14, 2020 12:30 AM

R68 is obviously pathological, crazy a totally nut bag. Also as intelligent as a clump of dog hair, although trying very, VERY hard to seem "smart." And in love with Patti Smith. Crazy as a bedbug, that one.

by Anonymousreply 70January 14, 2020 12:32 AM

R65 you obviously don't know that Pu nk originated in New York on the early/mid 70s. She's often credited as the first punk rocker and was featured in the Village Voice article that coined the phrase in 1975.

by Anonymousreply 71January 14, 2020 12:35 AM

"She's hardly punk rock nor was she ever. "

You must know absolutely nothing about her. She was called "the Punk Poet Laureate" and "the Godmother of Punk" and the "princess of piss’", "the keeper of the phlegm", "the wild mustang of rock ‘n’ roll’." She'd spit onstage and simulate fellatio on the guitar of her bandmate. Oh, she was punk, alright. But for some reason she now says she wasn't: "But I was not really a punk, and my band was never a punk rock band.” That's utter bullshit. She was a major part of the punk rock scene back then. Maybe she doesn't think it's "cool" to have been a punk rocker. If there's one thing Patti Smith cares about it's looking "cool."

by Anonymousreply 72January 14, 2020 12:38 AM

R29 one things for sure. Patti Smith doesn't give a fuck what you think of her appearance.

That's why she pisses people off still. She genuinely does what she wants, when she wants and doesn't care about anyone's opinion.

I remember she played at the Vatican a few years ago and everyone, including her own fans got in a twist over it. She said in an interview "Here's the thing... I wanted to so I did. " No apologies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 14, 2020 12:42 AM

Patti Smith does not claim to be a musician or even a very good singer. Just a passionate and enthusiastic amateur. That, she says, is what punk was about. She is a disciplined and talented writer, and was awarded a National Book Prize in 2010 for Just Kids. She is no homophobe-- several gay men have been very important in her life. Jean Genet, William Burroughs, Alan Ginsberg, Robert Mapplethorpe to name a few. And yes, people are entitled to dislike her music, her singing, her writing, her style of dress, her hair, her Jersey Girl manner of speech, but as [R29] says, she doesn't give a fuck what you think, nor does she need to.

by Anonymousreply 74January 14, 2020 12:52 AM

Has anyone read her latest memoir, Year of the Monkey?

I've read the two recent memoirs and was surprised to see another released so soon.

by Anonymousreply 75January 14, 2020 12:53 AM

My favorite TV performance of hers. She wrote it for her husband and performed it at his funeral apparently.

It always meant a lot to me that she made no apologies for not being typical. She was always an outsider. Even as a kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 14, 2020 12:56 AM

I saw her perform and, through friends, met her several times around 1978-79 (my first years of university.) The other performer I saw in the same period and with equal frequency was Elvis Costello. Both have terrific performances each time. Smith was alternately shy/awkward and loud/gregarious in the nervous way of the former, but surprisingly charming and attentive, remembering having met me before. Despite liking some of her music and excellent, electric performances and an odd, endearing (and surprising) kindness in speaking briefly a few times, her later commemoration of her legacy seemed a little much - whether her fault or how it was reported, and the "legend" stuff didn't appeal to me. Better to remember her powerful, raw, broken voice than to read too neatly spun stories of the Chelsea Hotel days and Mapplethorpe and the rest.

I think artists and writers and actors and musicians often get lost in scandals and legends and folklore. I'll say that Smith, like the rest, is better remembered for her best work than for repeated tales of her work - for a few seering songs that, I think, still resonate on some level.

by Anonymousreply 77January 14, 2020 1:01 AM

She was most definitely gay icon and a punk (you guys know what the fucking word Punk means right?) She hung out with the gay musical slum dwellers during the AIDS years. She wrote "Death Singing" about Benjamin Smoke just before he died. It's weird to me that younger gays are so ignorant of their cultural heritage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 14, 2020 1:03 AM

"She dates Ralph Fiennes. Take that bitches."

Where did you hear THAT? I recall some article mentioning "her friend Ralph Fiennes" but that hardly constitutes them "dating." I find it hard to believe. Fiennes is a pussyhound, but it's hard to believe he would hit THAT, unless he was really slumming. Anyway, he's no prize, either. He lost his looks long ago. He's an aging baldy now.

by Anonymousreply 79January 14, 2020 1:11 AM

They might be. But probably not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 14, 2020 1:13 AM

"(Smith) was awarded a National Book Prize in 2010 for Just Kids.

While R66/R70 could barely finish reading a David Sedaris 40-page book.

by Anonymousreply 81January 14, 2020 1:40 AM

Gilda Radner’s Patti Smith was fucking spectacular.

She stumbles in at about 3:45 and holds the screen until she collapses.

As much as I like Patti Smith, I think Gilda Radner was the rarer talent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 14, 2020 1:46 AM

From the video in R1: "I think of myself as an illuminated apprentice."

...and I'm out.

by Anonymousreply 83January 14, 2020 2:30 AM

[quote]Her version of Because the Night is one of the greatest recordings ever made. It wasn't even a top ten hit.

The other version by 10,000 Maniacs was much better

by Anonymousreply 84January 14, 2020 9:44 AM

She never dated Debbie Harry. The fuck

by Anonymousreply 85January 14, 2020 1:12 PM

One of her more recent songs "Constantine's Dream" is one of the most lyrically complex and epic things every recorded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 14, 2020 11:19 PM

R86, do you know who did that sort of thing with more slap dash? Good old junkie Nico.

by Anonymousreply 87January 14, 2020 11:24 PM

r86 Baaahaahaahaa! No.

by Anonymousreply 88January 14, 2020 11:27 PM

I admire her commitment to that hairstyle.

by Anonymousreply 89January 14, 2020 11:29 PM

Thanks OP for posting this!! I love Patti and have for years. I’m so glad to have seen this.

by Anonymousreply 90January 15, 2020 2:24 AM

"If only there was a way to read a brief biography on Patti Smith."

You should read "Mapplethorpe" by Patricia Morrisroe. The information on her in that book is kind of a mini-biography of her. It interestingly touches on Smith's relationship with her husband Fred Smith. After becoming involved with him she completely deferred to him. He was the boss in the relationship; she really calmed down and became more stable once they became involved. She had previously no qualms at all about being naked in front of anybody, but after she became his girlfriend she suddenly became demure and "affected an air of modesty that old friends of hers found hard to accept." The book stated that Jim Carroll recalled "when he and Sam Shepard visited her backstage after a poetry reading she made a big issue of telling them to leave the room so she could slip off her jeans." Carroll said "It wasn't like we hadn't seen her naked before, and after some of the stuff she used to pull at the Chelsea the whole virginal thing seemed pretty ridiculous to me." Yes, she went through a personality change after becoming involved with Fred Smith and after marrying him she disappeared for years, evidently content to be a wife and mother (they had two kids). If Fred Smith hadn't died she may have remained in that life, but he died prematurely. After his death, she started getting back into promoting herself again and slipped back into her pretentious, self-absorbed "artist" mode, in which she remains to this day.

by Anonymousreply 91January 15, 2020 3:31 AM

Never read Just Kids, but I actually really liked M Train. I know there are some who probably roll their eyes at the thought of a book comprising her offhand musings about coffee and Hurricane Sandy and The Killing and Fred Smith and all her favorite artists, but there was something very serene about it. It was kind of tonic to read in the age of Trump.

by Anonymousreply 92January 15, 2020 3:51 AM

"Yes, she went through a personality change after becoming involved with Fred Smith and after marrying him she disappeared for years, evidently content to be a wife and mother (they had two kids)."

How do these people support themselves when they "disappear"??? It's not like either of their back catalogs sold that well. 99.999% of Americans don't even know who Fred Smith is.

by Anonymousreply 93January 15, 2020 12:48 PM

R93 He was a professional sound engineer.

by Anonymousreply 94January 15, 2020 4:29 PM

She became part of the Mary Kay team, r93.

by Anonymousreply 95January 15, 2020 4:32 PM

I have a hunch Patti still has the first nickel she ever made. Not a living large, show biz type, our gal.

by Anonymousreply 96January 15, 2020 5:39 PM

I admit to liking Patti's music a lot; she was a pioneer of the genre that didn't necessarily welcome women. Kind of a tough old broad even back then. Not real easy on the eyes though.

by Anonymousreply 97January 15, 2020 6:01 PM

"Not a living large, show biz type, our gal."

Oh, come on. She's very well off. A recent article mentioned her "Jimmy Choo boots" and "delicate Cartier ring." With her slovenly hair and lack of fashion sense she looks like a homeless person, but she lives quite large.

by Anonymousreply 98January 15, 2020 8:34 PM

She didn’t seem pretentious in the Jimmy Fallon interview.

However, it was fucking Jimmy Fallon. What pretensions can you hold while sitting on the. Hair?

by Anonymousreply 99January 15, 2020 9:05 PM

That's quite clearly James May OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 15, 2020 9:29 PM

I met her once. She's very charismatic and quite funny. I got the feeling she takes no shit. I liked her.

by Anonymousreply 101January 15, 2020 11:08 PM

She was poor after Fred died. He died of cancer and had huge medical bills. Michael Stipe tracked her down and gave her a fuck ton of money and also the vocal line and resulting royalties from " E-Bow The Letter because she'd inspired him to be a rock star as a kid.. Weird Karma for her.

by Anonymousreply 102January 15, 2020 11:12 PM

Yeah, I didn't get the impression from M Train that she's amazingly wealthy or anything. I don't know how she would be. She lives a pretty spartan lifestyle and writes books, makes records, and tours when she needs to.

by Anonymousreply 103January 15, 2020 11:18 PM

I’ve been a fan since her first album and stopped following her when she took a break to raise her family but I want to say that there are few recording artists as adventurous, singular and poetic as Patti Smith.

by Anonymousreply 104January 15, 2020 11:26 PM

"Yeah, I didn't get the impression from M Train that she's amazingly wealthy or anything. I don't know how she would be. "

She's very well off due to her book deals. And of course she makes money from appearances, speaking engagements, concerts, whatever. She may not LOOK rich but she IS rich.

by Anonymousreply 105January 16, 2020 12:28 AM

So? Do you demand she live in poverty because she wrote a bestselling award-winning book and makes music you don't like?

You already hate her because of her looks, you weasel.

by Anonymousreply 106January 16, 2020 5:22 AM

Unlike most people in our cell phone, Amazon driven, bland world, she's unique and could give 2 f**ks what people think. One thing left that's worth admiring.

by Anonymousreply 107January 16, 2020 2:14 PM

"You already hate her because of her looks, you weasel."

Oh, shut you, you dumb cluck. Nobody ever "demanded she live in poverty." It's just not accurate that she lives modestly. She doesn't. She's rich and lives well. And nobody expressed hatred for her because of her looks, either. You're very touchy about her. You must love her.

by Anonymousreply 108January 16, 2020 3:13 PM

R108,

You can't prove her wealth, so STFU about that.

You didn't glance up-thread at the hateful comments about her looks, so STFU.

You're obsessed with claiming I'm "in love" with a woman. No, queen. STFU.

If sneering at a complete stranger's opinions about a famous singer/writer makes you feel smart or superior, you must have a very fragile ego.

But do STFU. No one cares about your opinions, and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 109January 16, 2020 9:32 PM

[quote] She seems like a nice person, but she was rude to Joan Jett and her band-mates, and to Debbie Harry in the past.

She didn’t like other women. She wanted to be the only girl in the boys’ club.

Not very punk rock of her.

by Anonymousreply 110January 16, 2020 10:08 PM

R109,

She's had several successful books and gets paid top money for appearances. So STFU about her living a modest little life. She's a celebrity, dummy.

Comments on her unfortunate looks doesn't constitute hatred, it's just stating the truth. So STFU, you silly twat.

Your defense of her does suggest you have an abiding love for her. So STFU, you pitiful fangurl.

This is DATALOUNGE, honey. It's open season on celebrities here and if criticism of your beloved Patti tears your heart then maybe you should find somewhere else to hang out.

Obviously YOU care deeply about my opinions, hence your huffy post. Well, I'm just flattered that you care so much. But please do STFU, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 111January 16, 2020 11:23 PM

R111, still angry, unhinged, mincing and preening in a sad attempt to act superior. You've typed nothing but your unsourced presumptions and vague snark.

"She's a celebrity, so she must be rich."

Your oceans of ignorance are a fetid flood of fecal flotsam.

by Anonymousreply 112January 16, 2020 11:39 PM

"Oceans of ignorance are a fetid flood of fecal flotsam?" If that doesn't prove R112 is a fruitcake I don't know what does.

by Anonymousreply 113January 17, 2020 2:07 AM

I don't want to get into this catfight.

Online sources (to be taken skeptically, but still) peg Patti's net worth somewhere around $16 million.

Not shabby, Pats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114January 17, 2020 3:14 AM

Of course she's rich. Anybody who doesn't know that must be pretty ignorant of how much money celebrities make.

by Anonymousreply 115January 17, 2020 3:16 AM

"fruitcake," R113? Homophobic cunt-licker much?

by Anonymousreply 116January 17, 2020 3:38 AM

OP Pattie Shit?

by Anonymousreply 117January 17, 2020 3:45 AM

I’m going to call it now — more posts in favor of Patti. I would argue it’s 60/40 in her favor on DL, and some don’t even care for her work but simply recognize the mark she made on the music timeline is all. Like her stuff or not, she is noteworthy and if you don’t understand yet, do go read.

by Anonymousreply 118January 17, 2020 3:54 AM

She’s wonderful and her book “Just Kids”is heart breaking in its tenderness and honesty. It’s also beautifully written. She is not a lesbian- clearly some on this thread don’t know much about her. No she is not your usual entertainer. She really is an artist.

by Anonymousreply 119January 17, 2020 4:17 AM

"fruitcake," [R113]? Homophobic cunt-licker much?"

Have you ever heard the expression "nuttier than a fruitcake?" I guess not. Anyway, the word was used in that context. It has nothing to do with sexual orientation, dummy.

by Anonymousreply 120January 17, 2020 8:20 PM

Have you ever heard the expressions, "Shut the fuck up, you smug pompous asshole?" Probably every day on your way to work as you babble on talking to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 121January 17, 2020 9:09 PM

"Have you ever heard the expressions, "Shut the fuck up, you smug pompous asshole?"

Only on Datalounge from moronic cretins like you.

by Anonymousreply 122January 17, 2020 9:12 PM

Spiraling downward, R122, the venomous Patti hater screeches at passersby while foraging for trash. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 123January 17, 2020 9:37 PM

Oh, give it a rest, R123. You've thoroughly embarrassed yourself. Please try to have SOME self respect.

by Anonymousreply 124January 17, 2020 10:40 PM

R124: "I MUST have the last word! Because I"M right! Always! Patti Smith is ugly and RICH! How DARE she!?"

by Anonymousreply 125January 17, 2020 10:55 PM

She's the consummate artist.

LOVE her! Especially considering she started out in a New Jersey cardboard factory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126January 17, 2020 10:56 PM

I would like to know why ignorant gays on DL consider Patti Smith to have been an ugly chick. Even in bad photos she was "handsome" when young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127January 17, 2020 11:00 PM

Robert was of course prettier but Patti was OK. She had allure. She got odder looking in her late 40s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128January 17, 2020 11:01 PM

She looks like she could be Tarantino’s sister.

by Anonymousreply 129January 17, 2020 11:04 PM

she always has a bright, alive face

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130January 17, 2020 11:07 PM

She was hot enough to have an affair with the young Sam Shepard.

YUMMERS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131January 17, 2020 11:08 PM

OMG, they were Studio 54, Ramrod pretty.

Loved the Matt Smith portrayal that got very little play.

Bad wigs.

by Anonymousreply 132January 17, 2020 11:09 PM

Patti obviously got her share of Grade A lLower East Side Art Fag COCK. At least as much as Madonna!

by Anonymousreply 133January 17, 2020 11:13 PM

Rode Tom Verlaine's big veiny dong! I used to JO looking at Tom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134January 17, 2020 11:17 PM

"Hotness" had nothing to do with her and Sam Shepard getting together. They just ran in the same circles. And of course drugs were involved. And it was the seventies; everybody fucked everybody back then.

It's well known that Patti Smith always disliked good looking women. It was obviously jealousy. LOOK at her. She was NOT an attractive woman, with that scraggly hair and witchy face. I've heard straight guys comment on her looks and what they invariably say is that she's ugly.

by Anonymousreply 135January 17, 2020 11:32 PM

Sam was quite a slut himself then. Joni M wrote "Coyote" about hooking up with him during the Rolling Thunder tour. And he was married all through the 70s.

Pretty sure Patti had a thing with Todd Rundgren as well, to add to the list.

by Anonymousreply 136January 17, 2020 11:37 PM

Yes ask a douche in flyoverstan if they would fuck young Patti Smith, punk rock goddesse, and they would say no. It's an acquired aesthetic you philistine.

by Anonymousreply 137January 17, 2020 11:42 PM

Awful singer and performer benefitted from the insular nyc naval gazing music biz /mediia machine. Her husband had a big dick.

by Anonymousreply 138January 18, 2020 12:03 AM

[quote]naval gazing

You don't say.

by Anonymousreply 139January 18, 2020 12:09 AM

I believe she wrote this when Mapplethorpe's lover Sam Wagstaff died from AIDS complications.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140January 18, 2020 12:19 AM

I was looking at Sam’s wife O’Lan, whom I’ve never heard of before. Anyone know their backstory? She looks like quite the character too! Her face is relatively pretty....until she smiles.

So....Patti, O’Lan, and then our JESSICA??? I’m actually impressed by how eclectic his taste in women is!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141January 18, 2020 3:15 AM

R141 O-Lan played the crazy (and iconic) religious zealot neighbor in Edward Scissorhands

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142January 18, 2020 6:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!