Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best Picture from 1986

If you could award the Best Picture Oscar to any movie made in 1986, which would it be?

Here are your choices:

Top Gun, Stand By Me, Star Trek 4 - The Voyage Home, Peggy Sue Got Married, Aliens, Pretty In Pink, Ferris Beuller's Day Off, About Last Night, Karate Kid 2, Platoon, The Hitcher, The Money Pit, Heartbreak Ridge, The Color of Money, Hannah and Her Sisters, Children of a Lesser God, Little Shop of Horrors, Blue Velvet, Crocodile Dundee, Three Amigos, Back to School, Ruthless People, The Golden Child, 9 1/2 Weeks, Hoosiers, Howard the Duck, Clan of the Cave Bear, The Fly, Shanghai Surprise, or Fievel: An American Tail.

So many good movies, but you can choose only one.

by Anonymousreply 91May 25, 2020 1:48 AM

List of films from 1986.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2020 1:11 AM

I absolutely loved Peggy Sue Got Married, The Money Pit, Ruthless People, Back to School, and Little Shop of Horrors.

I can watch those movies over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2020 1:12 AM

Blue Velvet.

by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2020 1:12 AM

Hollywood has never recovered from the effects of Coca-Cola owning a movie studio and buying up a bunch of other independent production companies during that time.

by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2020 1:14 AM

Blue Velvet for its influence.

Aliens because it remains entertaining and Sigourney Weaver's performance is iconic.

Agree with r2 about Peggy Sue Got Married and Ruthless People. I think Peggy Sue Got Married is the best in that genre of films of people going back in time (ie Back to the Future) or becoming a different age (Big). Kathleen Turner's performance was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2020 1:15 AM

Star Trek IV was the best of all Star Trek movies made thus far, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2020 1:17 AM

Why not use the poll format so we could see the "winner?"

by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2020 1:18 AM

Aliens, hands down.

Followed by Hannah and Her Sisters

by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2020 1:20 AM

Little Shop of Horrors

by Anonymousreply 9January 9, 2020 1:21 AM

Blue Velvet. Runner up (sorry) Little Shop of Horrors.

by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2020 1:23 AM

What a shitty year that was. I'd go with Stand By Me and then Blue Velvet.

by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2020 1:26 AM

Hannah and Her Sisters, then Color of Money.

by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2020 1:26 AM

[quote]Fievel: An American Tail.

And what was I, chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 13January 9, 2020 1:26 AM

Howard the Duck: seriously underrated

by Anonymousreply 14January 9, 2020 1:27 AM

Based on the movies in the OP's list, top would be Hannah - followed (very closely) by Peggy Sue

However, based on the link @ R1, it's The Fly

by Anonymousreply 15January 9, 2020 1:42 AM

Team Hannah., That's' where is was introduced to Dianne Wiest and was a forever fan thereafter

by Anonymousreply 16January 9, 2020 1:46 AM

Another vote for Aliens.

by Anonymousreply 17January 9, 2020 1:53 AM

[quote] Blue Velvet for its influence.

Long-term influence cannot be judged at the time of a film's release. That's something that's evidence in hindsight. See also: the 1968 Oscars. [italic]Oliver![/italic] won Best Picture, but it was one of the best and last of a dying breed, but [italic]2001: A Space Odyssey[/italic], not even nominated for the top prize, had an undeniable impact on subsequent films and on how we perceive the universe outside the planet Earth.

by Anonymousreply 18January 9, 2020 1:56 AM

ALIENS!!! no contest

by Anonymousreply 19January 9, 2020 2:06 AM

A Room with a View.

by Anonymousreply 20January 9, 2020 2:23 AM

More good movies in that one year than in the past decade.

by Anonymousreply 21January 9, 2020 2:27 AM

Agree Aliens or Blue Velvet have stood up the best and have the best long term impact. But I'd also like to give a shout out to the Hitcher which is about as perfect as a genre film can be.

by Anonymousreply 22January 9, 2020 2:48 AM

Aliens illustrates the long term genre bias that exists against science fiction/action/horror films which are dismissed as entertaining but unimportant and unworthy of any recognition other than for special effects, makeup, editing or sound. The financial rewards and popularity are deemed sufficient, and artistic achievement is overlooked.

by Anonymousreply 23January 9, 2020 3:19 AM

And your point is, r18? The movie came out in 1986. It's been 34 fucking years.

Hence, its influence. Blue Velvet is an influential film.

by Anonymousreply 24January 9, 2020 3:29 AM

This is why the Academy should have gone ahead and created a 'popular' film category

by Anonymousreply 25January 9, 2020 3:34 AM

Earnest question, how has "Blue Velvet" been influential?

by Anonymousreply 26January 9, 2020 5:11 AM

A couple reasons: It updates classic film noir to the modern era, introduces symbolic and surrealistic imagery into the mainstream, Filled with taboo busting themes and also darkly funny as hell. It immerses you into a fever dream world and hopefully makes you reflect on how strange the real world is. Blade Runner does much the same.

by Anonymousreply 27January 9, 2020 5:44 AM

Shanghai Surprise lol (I've still never seen it)

But my choice is Blue Velvet. Something Wild should be on the list as well.

by Anonymousreply 28January 9, 2020 6:59 AM

Another Blue Velvet vote for artistic value. Though I did love Top Gun for popcorn fun.

by Anonymousreply 29January 9, 2020 7:06 AM

hey George lucas how did u make such a fukiin flop like HOWARD THE DUCK????

by Anonymousreply 30January 9, 2020 7:43 AM

Room with a View.....or Peggy sue....movies with heart, and durability over the decades

by Anonymousreply 31January 9, 2020 7:44 AM

Not a better scene from any movie of '86

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 9, 2020 7:51 AM

Yet another vote for Aliens.

by Anonymousreply 33January 9, 2020 8:06 AM

Peggy Sue Got Married and Aliens are both wonderful movies. How did neither Kathleen Turner not Sigourney Weaver win? Performances for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 34January 9, 2020 11:59 AM

Hannah or Aliens for sheer rewatchability. Once was enough for Blue Velvet, which I agree is great.

by Anonymousreply 35January 9, 2020 12:34 PM

The Fly for being a great take on disease and ageing.

by Anonymousreply 36January 9, 2020 12:57 PM

The Karate Kid

by Anonymousreply 37January 9, 2020 1:09 PM

I loved Peggy Sue Got Married, the scene when she speaks to her grandmother on the phone always stayed with me.

by Anonymousreply 38January 9, 2020 1:12 PM

hey queens, u wanna see best movie of this year? I was shocked how suspenseful 1917 was. BEST ! cute boy who plays the lead is unreal, all the shit he has to go thru to......get to the end. trust, it aint ur typical war flick which I hate

by Anonymousreply 39January 9, 2020 1:22 PM

My top 3 would be:

The Fly

Aliens

Something Wild

by Anonymousreply 40January 9, 2020 1:34 PM

The Name of the Rose.

by Jean-Jacques Annaud.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 9, 2020 1:52 PM

For some of the clunkers the OP dredged up, you might as well have submitted [italic]The Care Bears Movie II: A New Generation[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 42January 9, 2020 1:52 PM

Castle in the Sky

by Hayao Miyazaki

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 9, 2020 1:56 PM

In hindsight, Blue Velvet. On the basis of how much I enjoyed the movie at the time, Hannah and Her Sisters or Aliens.

by Anonymousreply 44January 9, 2020 1:59 PM

No love for "Children of a Lesser God"?

I loved Marlee Matlin in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 45January 9, 2020 2:12 PM

R32, that was amazing!

by Anonymousreply 46January 9, 2020 6:21 PM

You can see how Hairspray! (2007) totally stole from that movie at R32.

by Anonymousreply 47January 9, 2020 6:21 PM

R18 and R22 I totally agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 48January 9, 2020 6:21 PM

[quote]On the basis of how much I enjoyed the movie at the time, Hannah and Her Sisters or Aliens.

Too bad there was not yet MAD TV to mash them up as [italic]Hannah and Her Aliens[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 49January 9, 2020 6:22 PM

[quote]You can see how Hairspray! (2007) totally stole from that movie at [R32].

They also borrowed from the movie of [italic]Hello, Dolly![/italic] with everyone on the street moving in rhythm to the background music before Dolly shows up.

by Anonymousreply 50January 9, 2020 6:23 PM

Marlee Matlin was really good in "Children of a Lesser God."

The whole movie was special. Didn't it get nominated for Academy Awards?

by Anonymousreply 51January 9, 2020 6:24 PM

Which of these movies were actual Academy Award nominees?

by Anonymousreply 52January 9, 2020 6:25 PM

[quote] Which of these movies were actual Academy Award nominees?

It's pretty easy to pick out which ones decidedly were not.

And it makes me think 1986 was kind of a lackluster year in films compared to 1982, 1985, or 1988.

by Anonymousreply 53January 9, 2020 6:28 PM

1986 Academy Award Nominees:

Out of Africa (Winner)

The Color Purple

Kiss of the Spider Woman

Prizzi's Honor

Witness

by Anonymousreply 54January 9, 2020 6:41 PM

Those movies were from 1985, R54.

To see the movies from 1986, you'd have to list the 1987 Academy Award nominees:

Platoon (Winner)

Children of a Lesser God

Hannah and Her Sisters

The Mission

A Room With a View

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 9, 2020 6:45 PM

Best Actor: Paul Newman (Color of Money)

Best Actress: Marlee Matlin (Children of a Lesser God)

Best Supporting Actor: Michael Caine (Hannah and Her Sisters)

Best Supporting Actress: Dianne Weist (Hannah and Her Sisters)

Best Director: Oliver Stone (Platoon)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 9, 2020 6:48 PM

Best Original Song: "Take My Breath Away" (Top Gun)

Now THAT one deserved the Academy Award.

by Anonymousreply 57January 9, 2020 6:48 PM

No, R57, it did not. "Somewhere Out There" and "Glory of Love" were superior songs that have aged better. That was the weakest winner since "You Light Up My Life."

by Anonymousreply 58January 9, 2020 6:56 PM

Take My Breath Away is an 80's classic, and it is still played regularly on radio stations.

Somewhere Out There and Glory of Love are obscure, and nowhere to be found, any more.

SORRY!

by Anonymousreply 59January 9, 2020 7:13 PM

Radio is irrelevant in 2020. You don't have to be tied to the limited imaginations of the soulless corporate drones from iHeartMedia who pick the watered-down and basic 1980s playlists, that is, for stations that ever play anything before Kurt Cobain offed himself and the whole music industry just said "I give up." But musically speaking, "Take My Breath Away" is a pretty pedestrian and rather dull song. Even the bass line just copies the melody. What hackery! This is not even good songwriting, never mind the best of the year.

"Somewhere Out There" is a beautiful song that almost sounds like a standard by comparison. For then-current pop/rock, "Glory of Love" also is a catchier song, period, with a more memorable lyrics and melody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 9, 2020 7:24 PM

"Stand By Me," one of the best coming of age movies, based on the Stephen King novella, "The Body." Great performances by young artists Will Wheaton, River Phoenix and Kiefer Sutherland. It also kick-started Rob Reiner's directorial career.

by Anonymousreply 61January 9, 2020 7:59 PM

In "Little Shop Of Horrors" that whole downtown was built on a soundstage. That should have won the Best Art Direction Oscar but wasn't even nominated but "The Color Of Money", "Hannah And Her Sisters", "The Mission", "Aliens" and the winner "A Room With A View", were ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 62January 9, 2020 8:03 PM

I could not stomach "Blue Velvet." Please choose something else.

by Anonymousreply 63January 9, 2020 8:07 PM

No love for [italic]Flight of the Navigator[/italic], a movie actually directed by a gay man?

by Anonymousreply 64January 9, 2020 8:59 PM

A number of other good movies were left off the list.

"Legal Eagles," with Robert Redford and Deborah Winger.

"Jumpin' Jack Flash," with Whoopi Goldberg.

"Lucas," with Corey Haim and Charlie Sheen.

"The Mosquito Coast," with Harrison Ford and River Phoenix.

All of these were excellent movies, too.

by Anonymousreply 65January 9, 2020 9:21 PM

Having just left the East Village in '85, I saw Hannah and Her Sisters countless times on the big screen in its first run. Still it hasn't worn as well as Blue Velvet, though I too found so much over the top Lynch difficult to digest back then.

What I'd watch on the big screen again, in no particular order:

Something Wild

My Beautiful Laundrette (not released in the US until '86)

A Room with a View

Castle in the Sky

Flight of the Navigator

Aliens

Platoon

The Hitcher

Mona Lisa

Parting Glances

The Morning After

Salvador

Heartburn

River's Edge

Down by Law

Sid and Nancy

The Color of Money

Chilldren of a Lesser God

Absolute Beginners

Cat City

The Mosquito Coast

The Mission

The Year of Enlightenment

by Anonymousreply 66January 9, 2020 9:24 PM

The Hitcher was great, just for the homoeroticism between Rutger Hauer and C. Thomas Howell.

by Anonymousreply 67January 9, 2020 9:25 PM

You plebs have an awful taste! 67 replies and not one mention of "Jean de Florette" and "Manon des Sources", which are hands down the best two films of 1986 (or a film, because they were like one film split in two). But at least the masterpiece that is "Something Wild" has been mentioned a few times. That was definitely Melanie Griffith's finest hour.

by Anonymousreply 68January 9, 2020 9:36 PM

I think it was her second best performance--after Working Girl. "I have a head for business and a body for sin"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 9, 2020 9:48 PM

[quote]You plebs have an awful taste! 67 replies and not one mention of "Jean de Florette" and "Manon des Sources"

Hinky Dinky Parlez Vous.

by Anonymousreply 70January 9, 2020 9:56 PM

Those came and went quickly without much stir or fanfare in San Francisco, R68, to the extent that I've never seen them, will change that by seeing them via Amazon. I'd love to see Pagnol's original Manon.

Also worth a mention is 'Round Midnight.

by Anonymousreply 71January 9, 2020 9:57 PM

"Little Shop of Horrors"!

It's an absolutely superb film, a great musical with a catchy, totally singable score, mind-boggling special effects, and some hilarious comedy scenes. And real depth, as it's a musical comedy version about a man being offered a chance to sell his soul. It's one of the best musicals of all times, it has stood the test of time, it's one of the best movies of the 80s, and is IMHO the Best Picture of 1986.

Fucking AMPAS was blind to its greatness, of course.

by Anonymousreply 72January 9, 2020 10:04 PM

R68 is an anti-American bigot.

by Anonymousreply 73January 9, 2020 10:05 PM

[quote] Fucking AMPAS was blind to its greatness, of course.

Their decisions are always mind-boggling.

Like "Chicago" winning best picture in 2002.

They are so completely out of touch with what regular people like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 9, 2020 10:09 PM

Hannah and Her Sisters

by Anonymousreply 75January 9, 2020 10:11 PM

I never actually saw Platoon.

Was it a good movie?

by Anonymousreply 76January 9, 2020 10:14 PM

Michael Caine was the one who introduced Woody and Mia to each other. I wonder how he feels about that now.

by Anonymousreply 77January 9, 2020 10:17 PM

By today's standards, I think that the Best Picture nominees would be:

Stand By Me

Peggy Sue Got Married

Aliens

Top Gun

Ferris Beuller's Day Off

by Anonymousreply 78January 9, 2020 10:17 PM

A Room with a View

Aliens

Don't tell ME I can only choose one, OP, you silly ass.

by Anonymousreply 79January 9, 2020 10:18 PM

I lost all respect for James Ivory for his complicity in CMBYN.

by Anonymousreply 80January 9, 2020 10:19 PM

[quote] Don't tell ME I can only choose one, OP, you silly ass

But those are the Academy rules.

As far as I can tell, there has never been a TIE for an Oscar. You MUST choose only one winner.

by Anonymousreply 81January 9, 2020 10:21 PM

Au contraire, R81...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 9, 2020 10:30 PM

[quote]Michael Caine was the one who introduced Woody and Mia to each other. I wonder how he feels about that now.

Where did you hear that? Mia made "A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy' in '82 then "Zelig' ,"Broadway Danny Rose" & "The Purple Rose of Cairo" before they all worked together in "Hannah and Her Sisters".

by Anonymousreply 83January 9, 2020 10:30 PM

[quote] I think it was her second best performance--after Working Girl. "I have a head for business and a body for sin

She was great in both of them but I still think Something Wild was the best thing she ever did. And that constant throat clearing thing she did in WG (probably caused by one cocaine line too many) was slightly annoying.

Something Wild also had one of the best closing credits sequence ever:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 9, 2020 10:40 PM

i got really stoned and went to see Platoon...bad idea. Very intense movie.

by Anonymousreply 85January 10, 2020 12:04 PM

Howard the Duck destroyed my career!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 10, 2020 6:19 PM

That was fucking cringe worthy at R86.

No wonder Lea disappeared from movies.

by Anonymousreply 87January 10, 2020 8:55 PM

Melanie gave us a trinity of great performances in the ‘80s.

Body Double, Something Wild and Working Girl.

by Anonymousreply 88January 10, 2020 9:10 PM

Blue Velvet is free on Vudu, watching it now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 25, 2020 1:36 AM

Definitely Hannah and her Sisters by a country mile, then the Color of Money.

by Anonymousreply 90May 25, 2020 1:39 AM

I can't even remember "Glory Of Love." "Somewhere Out There" was Lite FM secretary music. "Take My Breath Away" was a fabulous song and has become a classic. One of the few times the Academy got it right when it came to Best Original Song.

Sigourney should've won Best Actress. I recently re-watched Aliens and god does that film still hold up. Given the limited special effects technology at the time, they did an amazing job.

by Anonymousreply 91May 25, 2020 1:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!