Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jeopardy! Greatest of All Time Tournament

This is the thread to discuss the prime time special tournament between Jeopardy big winners James, Brad and Ken.

It airs on ABC starting Tuesday, Jan. 7 at 8 p.m. and continues each night until one person has won three games.

Who will come out the greatest of all time? Will Alex survive the pressure? Will Alex's voice crack up? How many foreign words will Alex mispronounce? Will James put all of the chips in on his Daily Doubles? Does Ken still have what it takes to win 15 years later? Will Brad add to his record?

Discuss it all here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206January 19, 2020 12:09 PM

I wish I could watch this but I'm working. Ugh!

I was on Jeopardy 10 years ago

by Anonymousreply 1January 7, 2020 10:22 PM

The excessive-blinking, grimacing Aspergers one will win.

by Anonymousreply 2January 7, 2020 10:23 PM

R2, that describes all of them

by Anonymousreply 3January 7, 2020 10:24 PM

Vegas will win. He's the smartest at wagering.

by Anonymousreply 4January 7, 2020 10:29 PM

r1 They've had an invention called the DVR that you might use to record the show.

Likewise, since this tournament is airing on ABC rather than in syndication, the episodes should be available On Demand and on the ABC app.

by Anonymousreply 5January 7, 2020 10:29 PM

I don't have a DVR. Hopefully, it will be up on OnDemand.

by Anonymousreply 6January 7, 2020 10:35 PM

Is Ken still a stupid Mormon?

by Anonymousreply 7January 7, 2020 11:00 PM

Programming note: The tournament is a full hour from 8-9pm ET Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Each hour will consist of two back-to-back games. The player with the most combined winnings from these two games wins the “match.” Play will continue each night until a contestant wins three matches. So the tournament could end as soon as this Thursday; if not it will continue next Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 8January 7, 2020 11:06 PM

Anyone watching?

by Anonymousreply 9January 8, 2020 12:13 AM

Brad is bombing!

by Anonymousreply 10January 8, 2020 12:17 AM

What is Yes?

by Anonymousreply 11January 8, 2020 12:17 AM

I don’t know why I’m finding Ken to be smug. I don’t like him all of a sudden.

I’m rooting for James. The other two seem arrogant for some reason. James seems humble.

by Anonymousreply 12January 8, 2020 1:41 AM

Did you all read that betting going on in Vegas for the competition was stopped? It seems someone knew the outcome and was betting heavily on that player. So they stopped all the betting going on.

by Anonymousreply 13January 8, 2020 1:44 AM

I was looking forward to this but it is sort of a dud. Vegas guy seems very low energy and Brad seems to be suffering amnesia. The one winning is the most obnoxious of the group.

by Anonymousreply 14January 8, 2020 1:47 AM

James reminds me of Richard Kiel "Jaws" from the Roger Moore James Bond films, at least his teeth.

by Anonymousreply 15January 8, 2020 1:48 AM

I do like James' jokes.

Ken does come across smug (or more smug?) but I think he really wants to win and he knows James is the one to beat.

by Anonymousreply 16January 8, 2020 1:48 AM

I like james.

by Anonymousreply 17January 8, 2020 1:52 AM

Dammit, James!!

😧

by Anonymousreply 18January 8, 2020 2:00 AM

Yikes. Stage 4 Pancreatic cancer.

Hosting a tournament like this is a great way to retire from the show - to answer who is the Jeopardy GOAT.

by Anonymousreply 19January 8, 2020 2:03 AM

I've always had a thing for Brad - even now when he's bombing.

by Anonymousreply 20January 8, 2020 1:16 PM

Ken seems to want to win a bit TOO MUCH.

by Anonymousreply 21January 8, 2020 1:45 PM

Poor Brad

by Anonymousreply 22January 8, 2020 4:18 PM

James is going to come back strong tonight I am sure.

His issue last night was not getting the Daily Doubles.

by Anonymousreply 23January 8, 2020 4:39 PM

The show beat everyone in the ratings!!

Fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 24January 8, 2020 5:43 PM

[quote]Is Ken still a stupid Mormon?

He's a very smart Mormon. I just wonder how someone that intelligent can be a member of that cult. I just read that he tithes 10% (!) of all his winnings to the church.

by Anonymousreply 25January 8, 2020 5:45 PM

[quote]Did you all read that betting going on in Vegas for the competition was stopped? It seems someone knew the outcome and was betting heavily on that player. So they stopped all the betting going on.

I'm very surprised they took bets on this in the first place, as the outcome is in the past, and chances are good that the result would leak despite the show's best efforts for it not to.

by Anonymousreply 26January 8, 2020 6:29 PM

Exactly R23 James built his huge leads by using the Daily Doubles. Last night he didn't get call any of them. IF he can get some Daily Doubles to wager on, he'll win....

by Anonymousreply 27January 8, 2020 9:04 PM

I find Brad VERY attractive.

After googling him, I find it amazing that he went from working in a record store, to appearing on Jeopardy, to becoming a millionaire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 8, 2020 9:09 PM

Jennings is obnoxious, Brad is hot but I love James and hope he wins

by Anonymousreply 29January 8, 2020 9:17 PM

Jennings' WKI profile has this:

Jennings has used his C-list celebrity status to pen several columns on his personal website and in major media outlets such as the New York Daily News, demanding that all criticism of Mormon ideology cease. He showed up to a discussion of Mormon abuses on Brian Rostron's blog and did not answer the question of how much of his Jeopardy winnings were tithed into the Church's anti-gay campaigns. More recently, Jennings has made it clear that he is a celebrity and piddly quizbowl contributors such as Fred Morlan are not, and should think twice before attempting to participate on his endless succession of self-promotional social media outlets. This behavior has attracted derision from the Internet media, as has Jennings's attempts to engage in political humor while remaining coy about his own politics, which have infuriated conservatives on the one hand, while also increasingly alienating liberals as he dives further into the realm of gay-baiting. Jennings's previous declarations that believing in civil rights for sexual minorities is childish, not "classy," and against the right of the Mormon church to dictate who may get married, which is presumably in the special Constitution that Jennings can read with his magic seer stones, wash poorly with his attempts at making light of the issue. Generally, Jennings's long career of defending homophobia in the public sphere makes his gay "jokes" read with much more cringeworthy bite than he probably intends, which as of April 2014 is currently causing a rift among the slightly grown-up John Green fans looking for another "geek idol" to mindlessly worship who up to this point have lapped up everything he says.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 8, 2020 9:38 PM

I find Brad attractive too. And he took his flopping last night in stride. He also didn’t seem too surprised that he was losing.

by Anonymousreply 31January 8, 2020 10:03 PM

I think Brad has a lot of confidence and figures he has a reasonable chance of winning tonight (Wed). And they both know that James has an advantage being younger (youth is supposedly a great advantage with the buzzer) and also James having been on the show more recently. I don't think Ken has this sewn up. Hope not anyway. I'm a James fan.

by Anonymousreply 32January 8, 2020 10:09 PM

I wish I had read about Ken Jennings before I voted. Brad is the only fuckable one but has zero chance. What can ya do?

by Anonymousreply 33January 8, 2020 10:16 PM

Brad has BDF and his confidence backs it up.

by Anonymousreply 34January 8, 2020 10:17 PM

I hope Ken doesn't win anymore after reading what r30 posted. I know it's WIKI but I can totally see Ken doing that shit. There's something creepy about him.

by Anonymousreply 35January 8, 2020 10:31 PM

Of COURSE the hot one is losing! I hate the world.

by Anonymousreply 36January 8, 2020 10:36 PM

Team Ken

But I too am attracted to Brad...

by Anonymousreply 37January 8, 2020 11:26 PM

Ken hates gays

by Anonymousreply 38January 8, 2020 11:30 PM

Well crap, I just saw r30

by Anonymousreply 39January 8, 2020 11:40 PM

I didn't really care for James before but he seems to be very nice and supportive of his competitors. He's still competitive but he is having fun.

by Anonymousreply 40January 9, 2020 12:19 AM

Wow, Brad was so chubby!

He really looks like a different person now.

by Anonymousreply 41January 9, 2020 12:46 AM

Brad is going down in flames.

by Anonymousreply 42January 9, 2020 12:53 AM

Is Brad gay? He's nerdy cute

by Anonymousreply 43January 9, 2020 12:56 AM

This is intense.

And I'm cringing so hard for Brad. He's obviously got a wealth of knowledge and he' s beaten Ken before so I'm not sure what's up with him. It must suck being the "dumb" one this time. In the negative but at least you know Vanilla Ice...

by Anonymousreply 44January 9, 2020 12:57 AM

Spectacularly r42. I feel kind of bad for him but I had a feeling this was going to be between Ken and James. Brad's won so many competitions he can't be that upset. It's just a little surprising he is bombing this badly.

by Anonymousreply 45January 9, 2020 12:57 AM

They're both gonna get final jeopardy I bet

by Anonymousreply 46January 9, 2020 12:58 AM

I hate the music for these shows.

by Anonymousreply 47January 9, 2020 1:00 AM

Wow, surprised Ken missed that one

I hope this goes to 7 games, but Brad will need to step it up, because right now it's obviously between those two

by Anonymousreply 48January 9, 2020 1:00 AM

I can see why this is getting good ratings. I am not a normal Jeopardy viewer but this is exciting. It’s will be the defining moment in the history of the game show and will be a perfect finale for Alex Trebek’s career.

by Anonymousreply 49January 9, 2020 1:06 AM

Yes James!!!

Suck it, Jennings.

by Anonymousreply 50January 9, 2020 2:03 AM

Ken is an obnoxious super MORMON.

And he's clearly anti-gay as well.

I hope he loses BIG TIME.

by Anonymousreply 51January 9, 2020 2:09 AM

Ken Jennings all the way. James is not even human...very creepy, just weird.

by Anonymousreply 52January 9, 2020 2:19 AM

I don't know what is happening to Brad. Maybe it's like Maria Callas - once she lost the weight, the voice wasn't the same. Maybe it's the same with Brad's brain or his ability to beat the other guys to the buzzer as he's gotten fitter and slimmer.

by Anonymousreply 53January 9, 2020 3:53 AM

We need to talk about Brad...

It is bizarre that he's doing so poorly when he has slammed his way through dozens and dozens of games in the past. But, that's not what I came here to post. Do we feel that he is a closet case, or asexual? I do not, and cannot possibly, believe that he is heterosexual and has no wife or girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 54January 9, 2020 4:02 AM

Ken Jennings is OBNOXIOUS. I especially hate when he acts SHOCKED that an answer he gives is correct, breathin* heavily and gasping. What a fucking performer.

I’m a James fan, even more now that I see him in this tournament— relaxed, joking, fun, decent to the others. Ken acts like he’ll die if he loses, and Brad (who’s definitely gay) is an egotistical dud.

No matter what, I wan5 Jennings to lose.

by Anonymousreply 55January 9, 2020 7:49 AM

I also dislike the Final Jeopardy music they are using for this tournament.

by Anonymousreply 56January 9, 2020 9:17 AM

There have to be some DL stories on Brady's personal life. I can hardly hear Alex read the answers over the loud pinging.

by Anonymousreply 57January 9, 2020 10:04 AM

Brad is going down because they've dumbed the show down with pop entertainment questions.

by Anonymousreply 58January 9, 2020 10:20 AM

Team Kenny and also james. I can't decide.

by Anonymousreply 59January 9, 2020 10:27 AM

I've never liked James, he makes my skin crawl. I wasn't watching the show back when Ken Jennings was in his heyday, so never developed a dislike for him from that. I'm rooting for him to beat James.

Interesting about Brad and how the questions might not be a good fit for him, rather than indicating that he's lost it or past it. I've always thought Brad was kind of cute, but probably doesn't have the greatest social skills. From his blurting out that Jeopardy is pretty much his life, seems he's a fairly lonely person.

by Anonymousreply 60January 9, 2020 1:13 PM

Brad definitely pings and is quite handsome, but if he's gay, I'm surprised he missed that easy Tales of the City question that Ken barely got just before the time ran out. It sucks that he's performing so poorly on this outing, especially on the Daily Double questions that have just wiped him out. The only good thing about that is that he's kept James from getting the Daily Doubles, which would have likely put him even further ahead than he already is.

by Anonymousreply 61January 9, 2020 1:57 PM

Brad!!! Slam that buzzer!

by Anonymousreply 62January 9, 2020 4:20 PM

That Jennings article proves what a douche bag he is, hate hi even more now.

by Anonymousreply 63January 9, 2020 4:24 PM

Have they indicated that the answers are tougher than usual? They don't seem so.

by Anonymousreply 64January 9, 2020 4:28 PM

I was on Jeopardy and, yes, these are tougher than usual

by Anonymousreply 65January 9, 2020 4:53 PM

[quote] Is Brad gay? He's nerdy cute

I was wondering the same thing.

42, never married, no mention of a girlfriend.

I would SO want to be his boyfriend, or even his fuck buddy.

He would be attractive to me, even if he was poor.

by Anonymousreply 66January 9, 2020 5:32 PM

Didn't Ken answer a question last night without saying "who is.."? Can't remember the question but swear he did. It was before the final jeopardy in game 2. Thought they would recall it but guess not.

by Anonymousreply 67January 9, 2020 6:46 PM

Did Brad lose a lot of weight?

by Anonymousreply 68January 9, 2020 6:49 PM

R68, yes

by Anonymousreply 69January 9, 2020 7:02 PM

R66 I like him a lot as well. He can afford the best lawyer in town to write the strongest prenup available, which I'd sign in a heartbeat.

Is the weight loss thing something he's been doing recently, because he always looked fairly scrawny to me? However, in this incarnation something is "off" that I can't put my finger on with him physically.

by Anonymousreply 70January 9, 2020 7:03 PM

To my recollection, Brad has been thin for a long time maybe at least 10 years. The early pictures of fatter Brad were from his 20s I think. He is now 41. I never saw him when he was on regular Jeopardy, only in some champion tournaments in recent years and he's been thin in all of them. Interesting that Brad has no profession other than "actor." I checked IMDB--he has three credits, the last in 2015 called "Discount Fitness." He is also listed as producer. So I guess he's living off his investments--he certainly won enough to have quite a nice life and never have a regular job again.

by Anonymousreply 71January 9, 2020 7:08 PM

He wasn't fat or obese. At most, his face was fuller.

I'd say from the looks of the video package they did on Brad, he probably lost about 20-30 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 72January 9, 2020 7:10 PM

When does the tournament end?

I thought it was only a two day affair, but apparently, there's another episode tonight.

by Anonymousreply 73January 9, 2020 9:29 PM

R73 see R8.

by Anonymousreply 74January 9, 2020 9:32 PM

Someone has to win three nights.

by Anonymousreply 75January 9, 2020 9:32 PM

Wait a second, R75.

So you mean that this tournament will go on, until someone wins three nights IN A ROW?

That could take forever!

by Anonymousreply 76January 9, 2020 9:50 PM

No - any three nights. As in, James on Friday most likely.

by Anonymousreply 77January 9, 2020 9:51 PM

I see, R77.

So currently, the score is James - 1, Ken - 1, Brad - 0.

I really hope that Brad wins tonight. I'm rooting for him to win the million dollars.

I guess he still has a chance!

by Anonymousreply 78January 9, 2020 9:53 PM

I think the tournament might taking a break tomorrow, Friday. I believe it will continue on Monday until someone wins 3 games (doesn't have to be in a row). So it could conceivably end Monday if James or Ken, who have already won one game apiece, won tonight and then Monday. However, if for example all win 2 games each, it would go to a 7th and deciding game.

by Anonymousreply 79January 9, 2020 10:26 PM

Like the World Series, R79.

by Anonymousreply 80January 9, 2020 10:28 PM

R8 already explained the schedule guys. Winner is the player who wins 3 nights. There will be 7 nights max (if it reaches a 2 wins all tie, the tie will be broken in the 7th game).

by Anonymousreply 81January 9, 2020 10:35 PM

Yes, but an article said they might take off tomorrow night (Friday).

by Anonymousreply 82January 9, 2020 10:46 PM

Brad got the Sunset Boulevard question. So yeah

by Anonymousreply 83January 10, 2020 12:16 AM

James seems to have the fastest reflexes. He usually rings in first for the easy questions that you know everyone up there must know.

by Anonymousreply 84January 10, 2020 12:26 AM

James kind of bombed tonight. Being all about stats, maybe he realized his odds were dwindling as he missed questions and daily doubles and he got too disheartened.

by Anonymousreply 85January 10, 2020 1:03 AM

It's weird to read that people actually want Ken to take over as host from Alex.

I loved James' Final Jeopardy answer tonight. It was very funny and rather touching, but not treacly, which is not James' style. His jokes mask a real kindness and sensitivity (I know - MARY!).

Crossing out Pat's name and then putting Alex's name was pure class.

by Anonymousreply 86January 10, 2020 1:13 AM

R86, meh. It was a copycat move. I like it when they just answer the questions.

by Anonymousreply 87January 10, 2020 1:31 AM

The next game is Tuesday of next week.

by Anonymousreply 88January 10, 2020 2:36 AM

Yikes--Did anybody else see that Ken Jennings goofed on the blood type question--he answered "O ...negative" and it's actually O positive which is the most common blood type. The producers didn't catch it. He did add on the negative as sort of an afterthought--because the question had mentioned negative at the end. I checked twitter and nobody has said anything. I can rewatch it--but I'm pretty sure he did not say O positive. Not sure how much money he would have lost. He had enough to still win the game I'm sure. I hope somebody brings it up to the production team. It's driving me batty.

by Anonymousreply 89January 10, 2020 5:07 AM

R89, I caught that too and wondered if James brought it up at the break.

by Anonymousreply 90January 10, 2020 5:25 AM

How did I not know Ken was a freaking Mormon? Damn it. Anyone but him now, though he's very much in the lead.

by Anonymousreply 91January 10, 2020 5:34 AM

No, it’s 7 shows at most. At that point, someone will have won 3. It’s set to air from Tuesday until Friday next week, but if Ken wins on Tuesday, it’s all over.

by Anonymousreply 92January 10, 2020 5:39 AM

R86, Ken Jennings would be a poor choice to replace Alex.

by Anonymousreply 93January 10, 2020 9:49 AM

Brad is the only one of the three I could see taking over from Alex. I don't think he actually will, but I say that because apparently he moved to Los Angeles to be an "actor" and host, but how much work does he actually get? I am betting he DESPERATELY wants that job. I think James has zero interest in doing it, and as far as I can tell Ken probably wouldn't either.

by Anonymousreply 94January 10, 2020 10:03 AM

It's seems pretty clear that Ken (and Brad) realize that one of the best ways to beat James is to hunt the Daily Doubles; it doesn't even matter as much if they are correct in answering it in a way. It just denies him a way to beat it all and double his score. James was actually kind of nervous on yesterday's show, as he missed quite a few questions. Ken especially is getting to him.

by Anonymousreply 95January 10, 2020 3:56 PM

to "bet" it all

by Anonymousreply 96January 10, 2020 3:57 PM

Ken and Brad are also "betting it all" on the daily doubles, which has worked well for Ken but has been disastrous for Brad.

by Anonymousreply 97January 10, 2020 4:05 PM

Mitt is ahead! I mean - Ken is ahead.

by Anonymousreply 98January 10, 2020 4:06 PM

Will Ken come out one day like Elizabeth Smart's dad? I think it could happen.

by Anonymousreply 99January 10, 2020 4:20 PM

James' story about his Japanese granny is so sweet. I want him to win just for that.

by Anonymousreply 100January 10, 2020 4:27 PM

I think Brad's hot but every time James sticks out his tongue when he's being silly, I want him.

by Anonymousreply 101January 10, 2020 4:27 PM

Did you notice that James' story was about his grandma, and he wants to win it for her and his daughter--no real mention of his parents save being from other countries? I feel like he had the typical self-involved shitty boomer parents, and that just endears him to me...or maybe I'm just projecting. Either way: Team James!

by Anonymousreply 102January 10, 2020 4:38 PM

[quote] Ken and Brad are also "betting it all" on the daily doubles, which has worked well for Ken but has been disastrous for Brad.

It hasn't worked out for James, either. He has failed miserably.

I'm so bummed.

I wish Ken the anti-gay, fundie Mormon cunt would just burn in hell.

I want Brad or James to win. More so, Brad.

But it looks like the bad guy will win again.

by Anonymousreply 103January 10, 2020 6:21 PM

is this live or pretaped? i thought there were spoilers already of who won? i’m pulling for James.

by Anonymousreply 104January 10, 2020 6:23 PM

Interesting that when Brad got one of the Dailly Doubles, he looked over at Ken and said, "You're welcome."

Clearly, these guys are friends, and are actively working against James.

They know how James operates on the Daily Doubles, and they are probably working together to thwart him.

On the one hand, it makes me despise Ken. But I still want to like Brad, despite his bullying efforts (with Ken) to beat James.

by Anonymousreply 105January 10, 2020 6:26 PM

I have narrowed my own replacement choice down to Mo Rocca. He's a different personality from Alex, which is good--much more spontaneous and contemporary. He's a Harvard grad, is host of the National Geographic Bee I think it is. He's very fast on his feet verbally, and he has a lot of charisma especially probably to older people, the main Jeopardy demographic, who might well know him from CBS Sunday morning which is also aimed at the senior demo. Also he's out (although he doesn't say who his current partner is if any). I think he could potentially get a much broader audience than any former Jeopardy champ. He's kind of goofy but that's part of his charm.

by Anonymousreply 106January 10, 2020 7:51 PM

R106 He's also great on NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.

I like the idea. He would be awesome.

by Anonymousreply 107January 10, 2020 8:42 PM

I am SO attracted to Brad.

Especially when he answers all the sports questions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108January 10, 2020 8:48 PM

Damn, I guess Brad really DID lose a lot of weight.

His Jeopardy video package didn't show THIS photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109January 10, 2020 8:49 PM

It just goes to show that even a 30 to 40 pound weight loss, can make a world of difference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110January 10, 2020 8:49 PM

James has shown the best sportsmanship so I'm rooting for him.

by Anonymousreply 111January 10, 2020 9:34 PM

I believe Brad used to date Pam Mueller who is another five-time Jeopardy! champ from the past who has also appeared on other tournaments. The answers are definitely harder for this tournament than the regular show. In fact, the regular show seems to be easier than it used to be. All three of these guys know the questions to most of the answers, it's all about being able to ring in first. I've been shocked, though, by some of the misses. I couldn't believe James didn't know that Florida State's colors were gold and garnet.

by Anonymousreply 112January 10, 2020 11:43 PM

R112 I went to high school with her! She was a year ahead of me though and didn't know her well. And didn't know they dated or that she was a five time champ. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 113January 11, 2020 5:38 PM

So do any insiders know who wins?

I’m not gonna waste my time watching that smug turd win.

The ratings have been increasing as well.

by Anonymousreply 114January 11, 2020 6:28 PM

This tournament is so much better than that last one they had with the teams. That was so boring.

The thing about Jeopardy is you don't mess with the formula. Just give us three players and let the best man/woman win.

My only complaint with this tournament is the awful music. Again - don't mess with it.

It's exciting because I think people wanted to see these three exact players compete against each other. Brad is starting to pick up.

With the ratings doing well, I wonder if they wish they could amend the number of wins to a higher number so they could keep this going.

by Anonymousreply 115January 11, 2020 6:34 PM

Mo does have a partner; not sure who it is though.

by Anonymousreply 116January 11, 2020 7:49 PM

It's always a pleasure watching high quality players. And this event has the very best of the best.The worst is watching 3 duds missing answer after answer. Maybe they can continue with this format--pitting tournament champions from the last 3 years.

by Anonymousreply 117January 11, 2020 10:57 PM

R106, I don’t like Mo Rocca’s way of speaking. It seems so mannered.

by Anonymousreply 118January 11, 2020 11:02 PM

ABC is re-airing all three episodes from Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday's shows, tonight (Saturday).

Three hours straight!

In case you want to catch it.

by Anonymousreply 119January 12, 2020 12:38 AM

Thanks - I missed Thursday's show!

by Anonymousreply 120January 12, 2020 3:02 AM

Is there a new game tonight?

I really hope that Brad wins one.

I'll scream if Ken Jennings wins. I really hate him now.

by Anonymousreply 121January 13, 2020 10:55 AM

It really annoys me when one of the guys turns to the other, and claps for him. Especially after answering a Daily Double correctly.

It's so phony, and very passive aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 122January 13, 2020 10:57 AM

Next game is Tuesday night r121

by Anonymousreply 123January 13, 2020 11:28 AM

R122 James is the king of that move......

by Anonymousreply 124January 13, 2020 3:03 PM

R124, yep, commented on James doing during the Tourney of Champs. He may mean well, but just looks condescending. Like his approval/validation means so much. How about a low key "great game" to an opponent at the end of it?

by Anonymousreply 125January 14, 2020 12:50 AM

I doubt James means much by it. He's just getting into the spirit of it and having fun.

by Anonymousreply 126January 14, 2020 3:13 PM

[quote] How about a low key "great game" to an opponent at the end of it?

Low key anything doesn’t make for great TV.

by Anonymousreply 127January 14, 2020 3:26 PM

Who won?

by Anonymousreply 128January 15, 2020 12:17 AM

It's still on. Ken was ahead by a lot after game one. Ugh. Wanted James to win.

by Anonymousreply 129January 15, 2020 12:44 AM

I have been completely shocked at Brad's lackluster performance in literally every single game. It goes to show you that everyone's reflexes and recall slows down over time.

by Anonymousreply 130January 15, 2020 12:54 AM

I wanted James to win. I can’t stand Ken

by Anonymousreply 131January 15, 2020 12:56 AM

Tonight's is over. I won't spoil the results.

by Anonymousreply 132January 15, 2020 1:01 AM

But Brad is not much older than either contestant. I don't think it's age. He just seemed to completely check out. I honestly think he didn't prepare or really didn't care. He didn't seem as hungry as the other two. I think he knew it was going to be a battle between Ken and James. His only real contribution was keeping the DD's away from James.

by Anonymousreply 133January 15, 2020 1:03 AM

Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 134January 15, 2020 1:06 AM

R130 Brad is sick.

by Anonymousreply 135January 15, 2020 1:09 AM

I was surprised they didn’t all get FJ.

by Anonymousreply 136January 15, 2020 3:05 AM

Yeah, I really thought James was going to win that game and the next one could have been the tiebreaker. It would have been more suspenseful.

by Anonymousreply 137January 15, 2020 3:10 AM

I thought the comment about Brad's score is showing was a prick-like thing to say. Following up to Ken about how great he did doing what he wanted so it's all right if the kid doesn't care about is a studies was even worse.

To be that consistently poor at buzzing in, and then blowing every single double question he got, there has to be something very wrong with Brad.

by Anonymousreply 138January 15, 2020 3:26 AM

[quote]Yeah, I really thought James was going to win that game and the next one could have been the tiebreaker. It would have been more suspenseful.

His answer to Final Jeopardy was so far off, especially for a person of his vast knowledge of so many subjects, that it almost seemed to me maybe he purposely threw the game with his answer, except I can't imagine what reason he would have for doing so.

[quote]Following up to Ken about how great he did doing what he wanted so it's all right if the kid doesn't care about is a studies was even worse.

Would you mind translating that into English?

by Anonymousreply 139January 15, 2020 4:02 AM

Sorry, that was indeed rather garbled. Ken had mentioned that he was concerned that his son was fairly aimless in terms of his academic interests, with James chiming in along the lines of "I was rather like that too and see how well I turned out!" He was being completely serious, not self-deprecating.

by Anonymousreply 140January 15, 2020 4:05 AM

Ken's Final Jeopardy bet made absolutely no sense. He could have bet and put it out of reach. He know James would have to bet everything and he actually gave him a chance to win. All I could think was the producers paid him off to try and make it go one more game for ratings.

by Anonymousreply 141January 15, 2020 4:08 AM

I think it's a shame that James and Brad each took home $250,000 -- Brad was not playing anywhere near the same level as James. Hell, he wasn't playing anywhere near the level as I was!

by Anonymousreply 142January 15, 2020 4:10 AM

Brad just plain Was Not There. Maybe he is suffering from some sort of a crisis because he's never going to be relevant as a Jeopardy champion again publicly? James stated that he may go back to doing some sports betting to keep himself in the game, as well as Charity work, and having a family. Ken has a family, as well as being a writer. Brad seems to have no real life as he has more or less admitted.

by Anonymousreply 143January 15, 2020 4:14 AM

FUCK Dish Network! Fuck it in its goddamn ass!

In its onscreen program guide, Dish has showed the Jeopardy! special as being on on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. HOWEVER, a couple of hours before the Tuesday program, the Wednesday and Thursday listings were suddenly the regularly scheduled programs for those days—meaning, of course, that Ken Jennings had very obviously won the tournament, which completely destroyed the suspense, at least for those of us on the fucking West Coast. Would it have killed Dish to have waited until the fucking show was over to do that?

FUCK YOU, DISH NETWORK!!! I goddamn hate you!

by Anonymousreply 144January 15, 2020 4:16 AM

That's what I thought r139. I can't remember specifics about James' time on the show but was Shakespeare one of his weak subjects? I can't imagine James purposely throwing the game but who knows but then again, I didn't think Ken would bet 0 dollars for FJ. It was an interesting end.

I don't know if James was not being malicious when he said Brad's total was still on the board. I admit I laughed but I think Brad was a bit shocked by it and had to maintain composure.

I think Brad just checked our or did not prepare. You can tell Ken was hungry to win this so it's no surprise that he did. It's just a bit strange that Brad became so irrelevant to the game (other than getting DD's) that you almost forgot he was there.

by Anonymousreply 145January 15, 2020 4:34 AM

James's remark did cause Alex to give a comment along the lines of, if not directly: "Mee-YOW!"

by Anonymousreply 146January 15, 2020 4:36 AM

The same thing happened with my Spectrum Cable channel line-up, R144, and it did indeed diminish my desire to watch. I did anyway, but I didn't enjoy it!

by Anonymousreply 147January 15, 2020 4:40 AM

To give James the benefit of the doubt, his comment seemed like one of those that comes out sounding more mean-spirited than you intended. He was probably hoping to be jocular, but that doesn't seem to be in his repertoire.

by Anonymousreply 148January 15, 2020 4:40 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149January 15, 2020 4:47 AM

I just wanna say I got the second final jeopardy right. Yay me!

by Anonymousreply 150January 15, 2020 5:01 AM

R149, we need that article about Ken the punk assed bitch?

by Anonymousreply 151January 15, 2020 7:43 AM

It's clear who gets Alex's job when he quits. Did Brad and Ken team up so James wouldn't get daily doubles? Kens assinine facial expressions were a turn off for me. It just seemed set up to me.

by Anonymousreply 152January 15, 2020 7:53 AM

I was really hoping this would extend to six or seven games! Very disappointed it ended after just four games.

Brad got Daily Doubles every game! He bet it all each time and then guessed incorrectly each time. Very strange.

Meanwhile, I think Ken bet $0 in hopes of giving James a chance to win the night's games.

by Anonymousreply 153January 15, 2020 9:37 AM

So sorry Ken won, cannot stand him

by Anonymousreply 154January 15, 2020 10:42 AM

This ended up being unintentionally depressing. I felt so bad for James throughout every episode and by the end he looked like he wanted to melt and escape down a drain. What a humiliating experience.

by Anonymousreply 155January 15, 2020 10:45 AM

So disappointed that asshole Ken won

by Anonymousreply 156January 15, 2020 10:59 AM

What do people hate about Ken? The other guy seems like much more of a jerk to me. But the way he squints and smiles contributes to my dislike...

by Anonymousreply 157January 15, 2020 11:05 AM

Brad Rutter looks fantastic after his weight loss. I'm betting on him to take over once Alex decides to leave (which will be any day now).

by Anonymousreply 158January 15, 2020 11:17 AM

James Holzhauer looks like he has a huge duck.

by Anonymousreply 159January 15, 2020 11:18 AM

His weight loss is not recent. If anything, he looked rather gaunt this time around.

by Anonymousreply 160January 15, 2020 1:44 PM

[quote]James Holzhauer looks like he has a huge duck.

The ability to discern what kind of fowl a man raises based solely on his looks is quite the skill.

by Anonymousreply 161January 15, 2020 1:48 PM

r144, r147 Early last week, my cable company (Spectrum in LA) only had four tournament nights listed in the line-up, the final one being Tuesday, Jan. 14. That suggested the tournament would be over after four games.

However, just before the first game began last week, they updated the listing to include seven nights, the final one being on Friday, Jan. 17.

As of Wednesday at 7 a.m., there are still games listed for Wed, Thurs and Fri in my program guide.

by Anonymousreply 162January 15, 2020 2:26 PM

I was horrified when James declared that his future included "whatever else the entertainment industry has to offer me."

Is there a demand for squinty eyed guys with lantern jaws?

by Anonymousreply 163January 15, 2020 2:38 PM

Brad and Ken are not hosting. I don’t know why fans keep pushing this fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 164January 15, 2020 2:55 PM

Horatio is not even a plausible answer. Hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 165January 15, 2020 3:16 PM

"What do people hate about Ken? The other guy seems like much more of a jerk to me. But the way he squints and smiles contributes to my dislike..."

Ken's a 'phobe

by Anonymousreply 166January 15, 2020 3:19 PM

I was so happy when Alex asked Ken about that fake “I’m not sure it’s the right answer”/nervous shtick from Ken whenever he answers a question. Please. It’s so transparent that Ken is faking; he knows he has the correct answer.

by Anonymousreply 167January 15, 2020 5:02 PM

This will change many DLers opinion of Jennings. He supports Bernie and Liz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168January 15, 2020 5:16 PM

He explained that sometimes he guesses just to say something, but isn't certain of his answer. What's so hard to understand about that?

He seems a reasonably devout Mormon, yuk. However, personally I don't think he's more libertarian. You guys are looking for reasons to validate your dislike here.

by Anonymousreply 169January 15, 2020 6:11 PM

"Is there a demand for squinty eyed guys with lantern jaws?"

Excuse me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170January 15, 2020 6:32 PM

Ken Jennings is like Betty White. They both display fake humility to the point of being annoying.

by Anonymousreply 171January 15, 2020 6:35 PM

Holzhauer always screws up his face in thought and answers like he is guessing.

by Anonymousreply 172January 15, 2020 7:15 PM

[quote]Is there a demand for squinty eyed guys with lantern jaws?

There is if they bring their huge duck!

by Anonymousreply 173January 15, 2020 10:34 PM

That's interesting, R162, as I am also in L.A. and my Spectrum program guide had returned to listing regular programming as of at least yesterday afternoon (that's when I noticed it), and continues to do so. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 174January 16, 2020 12:05 AM

^^ Sorry, meant to sign as R147.

by Anonymousreply 175January 16, 2020 12:07 AM

R162 and R174, they do that for the World Series, too.

Seven games are scheduled for the series, but it could very well wrap up in four, five, or six games.

But they still have to schedule it.

by Anonymousreply 176January 16, 2020 12:08 AM

They definitely finished last night. Ken was the champion. Poor Brad didn't do that well throughout the whole thing. James didn't do as well as might be expected.

by Anonymousreply 177January 16, 2020 12:26 AM

A) I think that Brad threw the game. He wasn't even trying. Brad acted like he was there for comedy relief.

B) I think that Brad and Ken were in cahoots to take down James. That's why Brad kept making those dumb comments about "you can thank me" and "i get royalties." I'll bet he was only semi-joking. Their combined winnings would be 1.25 million dollars, which they could split between each other, later on. That's about $625,000 each, which is still not bad. Neither of them is hurting for money.

C) The odds of two people finding the Daily Doubles is obviously greater than one person finding them, and that strategy worked. They kept the DD's away from James.

I don't trust either of them.

by Anonymousreply 178January 16, 2020 12:32 AM

Would Brad really want to have embarrassed himself that much on purpose?

by Anonymousreply 179January 16, 2020 12:34 AM

I don’t think Brad threw it. He looked incredibly embarrassed to be standing there the whole time. I mean, there’s taking a fall and then there’s just humiliating yourself on primetime television over and over and over and over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 180January 16, 2020 12:34 AM

The only explanation I can think of is that Brad has some sort of problem (mental or physical) that has ruined his memory and reflexes. He should know as much as they did, as well as having solid buzzer skills.

by Anonymousreply 181January 16, 2020 12:36 AM

[quote] I don’t think Brad threw it. He looked incredibly embarrassed to be standing there the whole time. I mean, there’s taking a fall and then there’s just humiliating yourself on primetime television over and over and over and over and over again.

Brad and Ken are laughing all the way to the bank. All Brad had to do is stand there and say nothing, and he still would have won $250,000. Do you honestly think that he cares what people think of him, at this point? He's still the all-time Jeopardy money winner.

by Anonymousreply 182January 16, 2020 12:41 AM

I think he'd care that his last appearance was as such a know-nothing loser. The current champ (Velma from Scooby Doo) would have done better than he did.

by Anonymousreply 183January 16, 2020 12:46 AM

Fuck I’m just seeing this! It’s it available on demand?

by Anonymousreply 184January 16, 2020 12:51 AM

[quote]The odds of two people finding the Daily Doubles is obviously greater than one person finding them, and that strategy worked. They kept the DD's away from James.

That makes ZERO sense, as you would probably have realized if you thought about it for more than a few seconds before typing it.

by Anonymousreply 185January 16, 2020 12:52 AM

[quote][R162] and [R174], they do that for the World Series, too…Seven games are scheduled for the series, but it could very well wrap up in four, five, or six games…But they still have to schedule it.

The difference is, the World Series is a live event; the Jeopardy! tournament was filmed days (weeks?) ago, hence, ABC knew in advance exactly how many games there were before the airing dates. To avoid tipping off the viewers, ABC and the cable/satellite/streaming services most DEFINITELY should have shown future listings as if there was a full complement of games.

In these days of absolute secrecy about what went on in prerecorded shows that haven't aired ([italic]TheAmazing Race[/italic] comes immediately to mind), this kind of fuck-up is inexcusable.

by Anonymousreply 186January 16, 2020 1:28 AM

Wow, no comments about the Ed Koch question in the "Bachelor" category?

by Anonymousreply 187January 16, 2020 1:30 AM

I'm surprised they can keep the outcome under wraps. If you're an audience member and blab, how would the show track you down?

by Anonymousreply 188January 16, 2020 1:42 AM

R188, luckily Adam Schiff wasn't in the audience.

by Anonymousreply 189January 16, 2020 1:43 AM

Ken beat James by using James’ betting strategy—going all-in on daily doubles. A riskier strategy but a winning one if you have the right answers. Ken beat James at his own game. Still, James could have won the final if he had got the Shakespeare question right.

by Anonymousreply 190January 16, 2020 2:45 AM

I don't think James lost badly but Ken was clearly the best player. Shocking how far behind Brad fell. There were previous tournaments where he bested Ken. I remember commenting last fall that Brad was unquestionably the better player versus Ken.

by Anonymousreply 191January 16, 2020 2:55 AM

R176, Agreed, but my Spectrum L.A. guide had reverted to regular program listings for the rest of the week before airing Tuesday night's show (signaling to me, of course, that Ken Jennings had won), while R162's Spectrum L.A. guide had switched to showing an ongoing tournament and continued to do so even after the winning night aired. Aside from my having the same "spoiler alert" issue as R144 had with Dish Network, I was noting how weird it is to have the same cable system in the same city as R162 show different program listings -- unless R162's "LA" is Louisiana, in which case, nevermind! 😁

by Anonymousreply 192January 16, 2020 3:27 AM

Why did you have to look ahead in your tv listings then? Were you looking or a spoiler or a hint? In that case, you spoiled it for yourself. Sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 193January 16, 2020 3:32 AM

James was a real prick when he made that crack about setting or not setting Brad's first round amount back to 0. Brad made a very good comeback on social media today

"Congrats to @James_Holzhauer as well. Have the New Orleans Saints been in touch about a job? Because with their tendency to talk a bunch of trash after losing in the playoffs, you’ll fit right in."

by Anonymousreply 194January 16, 2020 3:37 AM

Oh, snap!!!

by Anonymousreply 195January 16, 2020 3:38 AM

Ouch. Well, James was out of line saying what he said, even if his intent wasn't malicious.

by Anonymousreply 196January 16, 2020 4:29 AM

[quote]unless [R162]'s "LA" is Louisiana,

No, I'm in Los Angeles, not Louisiana. I live in West Adams, near the USC campus. And my Spectrum cable guide continues to list Jeopardy tournament games for Thursday and Friday nights, even now, 24 hours after the results of the tournament are known to the world.

[quote]Why did you have to look ahead in your tv listings then? Were you looking or a spoiler or a hint? In that case, you spoiled it for yourself. Sheesh!

r193 I look ahead in my DVR upcoming programs listings to make sure the programs I want to watch are set to record. Usually they are, but every now and again, it isn't (this is Spectrum after all. In such cases, I have to program it in manually. By checking in advance, I can make sure the programs I want to watch are set to record. I'd much rather do that than discover a program didn't record after the fact.

Since I record MANY things besides Jeopardy, I wasn't deliberately trying to spoil the competition. Again, I was just checking to see if the shows I watched were scheduled to record as I routinely do and happened to notice that the Jeopardy tournament was originally only scheduled to air four episodes, then later changed to seven.

by Anonymousreply 197January 16, 2020 5:13 AM

The posters who think Brad threw the games, or was in cahoots with a Ken, are ridiculous. I just can’t with idiots who believe this stuff.

by Anonymousreply 198January 16, 2020 5:17 AM

The audience kind of gasped when James made that super-bitchy comment about "oh look, it's still showing Brad's score from the first game!" (when the score zeroed out for the second game and Brad had been at zero after the first game.)

James needs to let Brad suck his dick to make nice.

by Anonymousreply 199January 16, 2020 9:57 AM

Unless I misunderstood, I read that as Brad having no use for the guy.

by Anonymousreply 200January 16, 2020 12:50 PM

Comcast OnDemand here still had the Tournament listed for Tuesday and Wednesday last night.

by Anonymousreply 201January 16, 2020 2:35 PM

I watched the tournament, though I missed the first match. Ken looked like he was on cocaine or some sort of methamphetamine. If James were a pettier player, he should have demanded a drug test and gotten Ken disqualified for using performance enhancing drugs. Other than that, Brad really humiliated himself. I agree with a number of other posters that he's probably gay, so I have no clue why he'd be friends with a Mormon troll like Ken. Entertaining all around, though it should have gone on longer.

by Anonymousreply 202January 16, 2020 2:54 PM

Hasn't Alex Trebek ever wanted to just try and be a regular contestant? I've always wondered how he'd do if he didn't have all the answers.

by Anonymousreply 203January 16, 2020 3:17 PM

So who won? The asshole moron...i mean mormon

by Anonymousreply 204January 19, 2020 3:00 AM

Did anybody besides me notice that James must have gotten some kind of tooth appliance on his upper teeth so his lower teeth didn't protrude so much when he smiled, like they did during his regular run. He didn't have time to have jaw surgery to correct his prognathism, so it must have been a set of teeth stuck over his own teeth. I was always very aware of how horrible his smile was (although I was a fan of his brain and liked him as a person), and it definitely was slightly less grotesque than before. I guess he read DL and saw all my comments about how horrible his teeth were (LOL). Actually probably it was on Reddit, a place I never post. Or maybe people commented on Twitter, or he just realized it from watching himself on TV. I hope with all his money he goes through with surgery. Once his daughter gets older she will be embarrassed by his bizarre underbite I bet, although she's probably home schooled.

by Anonymousreply 205January 19, 2020 3:19 AM

[quote] That's why Brad kept making those dumb comments about "you can thank me" and [bold]”i get royalties."[/bold]

James said this to Ken when he went “all in” on a DJ.

Also for those spectrum and DishTV posters:

Ironically, I had the opposite situation. I looked in my DVR listings and found the next night (after the tournament was won) had actually recorded, making me believe there was another game to be played and Ken didn’t win. It was quite a shock to me when he did.

by Anonymousreply 206January 19, 2020 12:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!