Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Richard Armitage more or less comes out

It’s done very circuitously but there it is.

Good job Richard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135June 16, 2020 12:38 PM

Did he though?

by Anonymousreply 1January 6, 2020 3:19 PM

What he did was acknowledge that he was in a relationship with someone with whom he would need to adopt or go through surrogate in order to have children. Very odd way of going about it but at least it’s not as bad as Lee Pace’s.

by Anonymousreply 2January 6, 2020 3:21 PM

Full text of article

Onscreen beefcake tells Jane Mulkerrins why he's ready to drop the tough-guy act, and why he's now more carefree about discussing his personal life

Richard Armitage is not a man who does things by halves. This month, for example, the actor is getting his hands very dirty indeed with the Forestry Commission in Dartmoor, as part of his preparations for playing Astrov, the brooding doctor and proto-environmentalist in Chekhov’s Uncle Vanya, which opens in the West End next month.

‘I don’t want to imagine what it’s like to plant trees, I feel like: just go and do it,’ Armitage shrugs. It’s not full-scale Method, he insists; he just finds it easier, when getting into character, to create real memories for himself, rather than having to construct fake ones. During the making of Spooks, in which he played the enigmatic MI5 agent Lucas North, he famously asked to be waterboarded.

‘Cut to me, 30 seconds into being waterboarded, going: “Get off, get off, get off.”’ He rolls his eyes. ‘What was I thinking?’ Later, when discussing his experiences on the set of Captain America, in which he played the assassin Heinz Kruger – a role that involved some ‘quite traumatic’ underwater filming – he confesses that he has a genuine fear of water. He looks sheepish. ‘Yes. I know.’

For a portion of the film-watching public, 48 year-old, Leicester-born Armitage is probably best known as Thorin Oakenshield, the haughty dwarf king in The Hobbit trilogy, a casting decision which seems faintly ridiculous as he strides into the lobby of The Marlton hotel in Manhattan, where he has been based for five years, a strapping six foot two. He is, at least, sporting a beard that Tolkien could get behind, though not for his own aesthetic reasons. ‘This is Astrov, this is the beginning of him coming.’ (cont'd)

by Anonymousreply 3January 6, 2020 3:35 PM

To television fans, Armitage is probably more indelibly the sexy mill owner John Thornton in the miniseries North & South, or the damaged triple agent Lucas in Spooks, or, perhaps, the protagonist John Porter in Chris Ryan’s Strike Back – all roles which made the most of the actor’s good looks and honed physique.

Armitage is still notably handsome, but, within minutes of meeting him, it’s apparent how incongruous it is that this bookish, sensitive, self-described ‘melancholic, philosophically-minded softie’ and ardent fan of The Great British Bake Off was cast as beefcake killer totty for a considerable part of his career. ‘It’s ridiculous. It’s the complete opposite to who I am. I’m such a pacifist,’ he laughs. ‘But then, part of me always felt: “Well, isn’t that why we’re actors?”

These days, to his relief, he is ‘way past having to take my shirt off – I’ve never relished that.’ He pauses, thoughtfully. ‘In something like The Crucible [he played John Proctor in an acclaimed 2014 production at The Old Vic] where he had to wash onstage and get the grime from under his armpits, that’s different – it was part of his raw animalness. And in Strike Back, Sky One’s macho military drama, which critics praised for its smart storylines and high production values in a genre not necessarily known for either, ‘it was important to see that this guy had a body that has been honed by his military action. But I never got anywhere close to the physique that I was hoping for,’ he admits. ‘And I definitely couldn’t do it now – this dad bod is not going away.’ (cont'd)

by Anonymousreply 4January 6, 2020 3:35 PM

Happily, he’s able to lean into the dad bod (of which, for the record, I see no evidence beneath his white T-shirt) in his new Netflix miniseries, The Stranger. ‘I’m playing the dad of two teenagers; if I come out of the shower with a six-pack, the audience is going to say: “Sorry, no. That guy does not have time for the gym.” You have to look like a normal person,’ he insists.

The show is based on the bestselling book of the same name by US thriller author Harlan Coben, with the action transplanted from wealthy suburban New Jersey to Manchester. Armitage plays Adam, apparently happily married until a stranger divulges a devastating secret regarding his wife, Corrine, played by Dervla Kirwan. When confronted, Corrine doesn’t deny it, but promises to explain – then promptly disappears.

‘He’s desperately trying to get answers from her, but he can’t find her, and slowly, over the course of the story, starts to forgive what she’s done,’ says Armitage. ‘He just wants her back.’ Meanwhile, as plot twists abound, Adam finds himself increasingly caught up in a dark conspiracy, thanks to his own digital footprint.

‘Adam believes he’s squeaky clean, but Corinne has found a path to something he did that wasn’t necessarily whiter than white,’ says Armitage. Nobody is whiter than white, I venture; once you start picking at somebody’s private correspondence, you’ll inevitably find something untoward. Armitage doesn’t agree. ‘I do think people are inherently honest. I feel like I’m inherently honest. But things can be misinterpreted.’ (con'td)

by Anonymousreply 5January 6, 2020 3:36 PM

Armitage started his performing career focused on dance rather than drama, training in classical ballet from the ages of 14 to 19. ‘I wasn’t quite good enough to go into a classical company, so I ended up going into musical theatre.’ He spent several years in shows such as 42nd Street and Cats before he was accepted to LAMDA, then the RSC. But the physical aspects of ballet have served him well, including in some of those incongruously macho roles.

‘I understood physical discipline and pain, and I understood how to push through. I do have the ability to zone out pain, which was helpful in Strike Back and The Hobbit.’ He laughs and rolls his very blue eyes again. ‘I mean, being in prosthetics is not like having your arm chopped off, but it’s stamina and heat exhaustion. On The Hobbit, stunt guys were vomiting in buckets and collapsing.’

His father, John, was a nuclear engineer (‘on holiday, we would go sightseeing to all the British nuclear power stations,’ he deadpans) while his mother, Margaret, who died last year, worked as a school secretary purely to fund his education at Pattinson College, a boarding school for the performing arts in Coventry. ‘Every penny of her wages went to my education – they were amazingly supportive.’

Speculation has swirled for years about Armitage’s sexuality, so I approach the question cautiously, but… would he like to have a family of his own? ‘I would need to do it in a way which was either through adoption or surrogacy, because of the nature of my relationship,’ he says, with remarkable candour. ‘I’d have to sit down very pragmatically and work it out.’ He is in a relationship, he confirms, ‘a good one’, though he isn’t keen to say more about it. And though I have no wish to press him further on the subject, he returns to it himself, later. (con'td)

by Anonymousreply 6January 6, 2020 3:36 PM

‘I think the turning point was losing my mum,’ he says. ‘Up until that point, I felt like I mustn’t put a foot wrong, that if I said the wrong thing or revealed too much about my personal life, it could all come crashing down, and it would come down on my parents, and they wouldn’t be proud of me anymore.’ He shrugs. ‘Now that I’m past that I’m actually much more carefree about the choices I make.’

In the past few years, alongside the screen and stage, he has increasingly been working in audiobooks, narrating stories such as The Tattooist of Auschwitz and Hamlet; his reading of David Copperfield is perennially high on the bestseller lists on Audible. ‘It used to be considered a sideline that you’d only do when you’re not working on other stuff, but,now it’s a big bulk of my work and I’ve found titles through Audible that I’ve purchased the rights to and I’m developing as a producer for screen,’ he tells me.

After narrating The Lost Daughters by Joy Ellis, he optioned the whole series of crime novels to which the story belongs, and is working on a pilot for an adaptation of The Taking of Annie Thorne by CJ Tudor. ‘Eventually I’d like to step away from front of camera and operate from behind, but I don’t know in what capacity,’ he admits. ‘I think I might need to dip my toe into directing, just to make sure it’s either for me or not. Because I do think, when 50 happens, is the phone going to stop ringing?’ (cont'd)

by Anonymousreply 7January 6, 2020 3:37 PM

‘The Chekhov came along at exactly the right moment,’ he continues. ‘I read Astrov and thought: I feel like I’m at exactly that point in his life, where he’s looking back over his shoulder going: ‘I’m sort of past the midpoint now. I’m pushing 50. Have I done enough? What’s my legacy?’

‘As an actor you’re always looking forward – what’s next?’ he says. ‘Then there’s a point at which you think, ‘Well, maybe I’ve achieved everything I should have done.’

None of this is delivered with the slightest gloom or self-pity, rather, with equitable acceptance self-awareness. ‘Maybe there’s a tiny little bit more – I’m not banking on it,’ he smiles. ‘But I can put all my crystals in the window and hope.’ (end)

by Anonymousreply 8January 6, 2020 3:37 PM

Went to school with him. He was an arse.

by Anonymousreply 9January 6, 2020 3:38 PM

Can you share with us what he did that was arse-like R9?

by Anonymousreply 10January 6, 2020 3:41 PM

Only doing it coz his mom died last year...

by Anonymousreply 11January 6, 2020 3:41 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 12January 6, 2020 3:41 PM

only because he's old, he ain't romantic lead material anymore...

by Anonymousreply 13January 6, 2020 3:42 PM

Coming out at 48. Niiiiiiiiice.

by Anonymousreply 14January 6, 2020 3:45 PM

Yes you're right, I should have posted more than a single sentence. He was a bully to the nerdy kids (like me, I admit), despite being a nerdy kid himself. He rode a fine line between being accepted by the mainstream kids while still not really being one of them. He was, at least at that time, a pretty good oboist, as I recall, and in the school we were in, and the area, music kids were ripe targets. He picked on the weaker ones himself. It was all a bit like Vichy France.

I also seem to recall that he generally had a pretty girl on his arm. I was surprised when the first gay rumours started swirling.

by Anonymousreply 15January 6, 2020 3:47 PM

Isn’t he over 50? What a fucking coward, just like Lee Pace. Who the fuck comes out at fifty now? This is not the eighties or even the nineties. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 16January 6, 2020 3:50 PM

I saw him in Berlin Station. too bad he left and they cancelled the show. sucks!

by Anonymousreply 17January 6, 2020 4:08 PM

He didn't come out

by Anonymousreply 18January 6, 2020 5:51 PM

Call me when he shows up at a red carpet holding his boyfriend's hand.

by Anonymousreply 19January 6, 2020 5:54 PM

He isn't coming out at 48. He's quite clearly already out and has been all along.

by Anonymousreply 20January 6, 2020 6:05 PM

[Quote] He's quite clearly already out and has been all along.

Oh shut up, Fiona.

by Anonymousreply 21January 6, 2020 6:07 PM

He may be out in private but he sure as hell ain't out to the public

by Anonymousreply 22January 6, 2020 6:07 PM

The self-loathing rationalized as "protecting his parents" is very junior high. He can't seem to admit that his parents existed as people outside of being his parents.

by Anonymousreply 23January 6, 2020 6:13 PM

IF he were in a relationship with a woman - he would just say that. Otherwise, it might not be unusual for a woman around age 50 to use a surrogate.

by Anonymousreply 24January 6, 2020 6:21 PM

Not if he goes back and forth. He's out to promote his latest project...

by Anonymousreply 25January 6, 2020 6:23 PM

Not if he goes back and forth. He's out to promote his latest project...

by Anonymousreply 26January 6, 2020 6:23 PM

He can start a club with Petey Bootyjudge with a slogan like, "Blazing trails... once everyone else has cleared the path for us already to safely come out in a more comfortable sociocultural climate."

Gutless. Really sick of people applauding these cowards who let the rest of us take the brunt of oppression for decades instead of sharing the burden.

by Anonymousreply 27January 6, 2020 6:40 PM

[Quote] Really sick of people applauding these cowards

The people applauding him (all twelve of them) would applaud if he took a dump on their chests.

by Anonymousreply 28January 6, 2020 6:48 PM

^^^How vivid.

by Anonymousreply 29January 6, 2020 6:57 PM

R16: Every age is good to come out, and most gay actors in Hollywood just don't come out, never, they beard till the end of days.

Anyway, he must be openly gay outside public because it was pretty obvious he was one of those Ian McKellen outed by mistake (fortunately without giving names) in that Hobbit interview

by Anonymousreply 30January 6, 2020 7:04 PM

[quote]Really sick of people applauding these cowards

[quote]The people applauding him (all twelve of them) would applaud if he took a dump on their chests.

There is a HUGE difference between the hypocritical idiots who preach morality, talk about family values, vote for and support legislation that hurts gay people and people who simply live their lives without regard for what YOU want them to do.

His life. He's the one who would have to live with and deal with any negative consequences. His choice to come out or not on his time table.

Why on earth would you care when or if he ever comes out. You have a better chance of winning the lottery than hooking up with or dating him. What possible difference does it make to you.

by Anonymousreply 31January 6, 2020 7:15 PM

Somewhere, Lee Pace is cupping his balls and tweaking his nipples, thinking of Richard's hairy ass.

by Anonymousreply 32January 6, 2020 8:05 PM

I really like Armitage. He's a fine working actor and has never whined about not being a Hollywood A-lister the way James Purefoy has, just because he's extremely handsome and British. He must be extremely wealthy now after the three "Hobbit" movies.

by Anonymousreply 33January 6, 2020 8:09 PM

Doubtful. Brits work cheap.

by Anonymousreply 34January 6, 2020 8:11 PM

Up until now I always thought he would never come out. But after this interview he actually might come out fully one day. Good for him. Everyone in their own time. His life - his choice.

by Anonymousreply 35January 6, 2020 8:11 PM

He's a DL'er - waiting for mother to die before living his life

by Anonymousreply 36January 6, 2020 8:12 PM

[Quote] people who simply live their lives without regard for what YOU want them to do.

[Quote] His life. He's the one who would have to live with and deal with any negative consequences. His choice to come out or not on his time table.

[Quote] Why on earth would you care when or if he ever comes out. You have a better chance of winning the lottery than hooking up with or dating him. What possible difference does it make to you.

Something tells me you'd turn around in the same breath and talk about what an inspirational role model Armitage is, for using his platform to save cats stuck in trees or whatever. It's the fangurl way.

He can do what he likes but he's a public figure and he will receive scutiny. And you will deal.

by Anonymousreply 37January 6, 2020 8:13 PM

[Quote] You have a better chance of winning the lottery than hooking up with or dating him. What possible difference does it make to you.

What a simpleton point of view. Are you even gay?

by Anonymousreply 38January 6, 2020 8:14 PM

I invented the non-coming-out coming out when your career is mostly over.

by Anonymousreply 39January 6, 2020 8:18 PM

He is not a young big leading man. Does smaller films, plays. Luke Evans is doing just fine.

by Anonymousreply 40January 6, 2020 8:25 PM

Miss R37 WILL be entertained by speculating about Armitage.

She WILL find meaning for her life in the business of others!

She has to have *something* to obsess about when the firefighters take her to the car wash for her weekly bath, and she WILL NOT be denied!

by Anonymousreply 41January 6, 2020 8:44 PM

When will Ian Armitage come out?

by Anonymousreply 42January 6, 2020 8:52 PM

[quote]Something tells me you'd turn around in the same breath and talk about what an inspirational role model Armitage is, for using his platform to save cats stuck in trees or whatever. It's the fangurl way.

LOL - um, no. People who think that an actor, sports figure, or celebrity are role models of any sort are a bit simple.

People who expect them to be are even more simple.

[quote]He can do what he likes but he's a public figure and he will receive scutiny. And you will deal.

Exactly, He can do as he likes - come out, not come out. Of course he will receive scrutiny. He's still not obligated in any way to come out or indulge that scrutiny.

It's such a fangurl attitude to DEMAND that celebrities be what their fangurls want them to be.

He's under no obligation whatsoever to come out. And you'll simply have to deal.

by Anonymousreply 43January 6, 2020 9:31 PM

But he has come out, so "obligation" is rather moot at this point.

by Anonymousreply 44January 6, 2020 9:36 PM

[Quote] Miss [R37] WILL be entertained by speculating about Armitage.

You're on a gossip forum, dear.

by Anonymousreply 45January 6, 2020 9:36 PM

Has he ever said the words “I’m gay,” or “meet my boyfriend” in public R20? No, he has not. Until he says the words “I’m gay” he’s closeted.

by Anonymousreply 46January 6, 2020 9:42 PM

(ha ha, wrong thread!)

by Anonymousreply 47January 6, 2020 9:45 PM

Can anyone please explain... did he come out or not? I have OP blocked.

by Anonymousreply 48January 6, 2020 10:03 PM

The journalist mentions broaching Armitage's sexuality by asking if he wants to start a family. Armitage answers that with his current relationship, biological reproduction wouldn't be possible. He later talks about worrying his parents will stop being proud of him if he gives details about his personal life.

by Anonymousreply 49January 6, 2020 10:05 PM

*would stop (both parents are dead).

by Anonymousreply 50January 6, 2020 10:06 PM

He came out in a Jodie Foster sort of way.

Never saying the words I'M GAY but sort of saying, when was I ever in?

by Anonymousreply 51January 6, 2020 10:07 PM

It’s ok R48 I have you blocked too

by Anonymousreply 52January 6, 2020 10:07 PM

R49 Thanks. It's not a coming out though, he could be with a post-menopausal woman and those words would still be true. He's obviously gay but I dom't consider this a coming out.

by Anonymousreply 53January 6, 2020 10:16 PM

When did Jodie Foster come out?

by Anonymousreply 54January 6, 2020 10:21 PM

r53

Did you miss the part about his parents potentially no longer being proud of him?

by Anonymousreply 55January 6, 2020 10:42 PM

This eldergay's sister, being well informed by yours truly, opined sadly, "Another tragic loss for womankind."

by Anonymousreply 56January 6, 2020 10:52 PM

R31

It makes a difference to me because the phrase 'strength in numbers' is true in many ways. And marginalized groups benefit from that strength.

Why would you assume that I want to sleep with this guy as opposed to, you know, caring because I live in a state where it's still legal to discriminate based on sexual orientation in housing, employment, and public accommodations? Or caring because proudly coming out makes a difference to queer people who are at much greater risk for suicide?

Everything is not about eggplants...

by Anonymousreply 57January 6, 2020 11:20 PM

Well said, r57.

by Anonymousreply 58January 6, 2020 11:26 PM

It's really starting to seem like people no longer see the CLOSET as a tool and symptom of oppression. It's now just a 'personal lifestyle choice' to be 'discrete'.

*Silence* and *Visibility* are still problems for us and have been throughout modern times.

I do care if people come out or not, especially now that it's generally much, much easier to do so. Yes, people are individuals with individual choices; but those choices also have implications for the groups that they are part of and those implications matter.

If a person has no group consciousness and only thinks individualistically, then I guess they just don't care.

by Anonymousreply 59January 6, 2020 11:48 PM

R58

Thank you :)

by Anonymousreply 60January 6, 2020 11:49 PM

[quote] It's now just a 'personal lifestyle choice' to be 'discrete'.

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 61January 7, 2020 12:34 AM

R46: I find really funny the "if he didn't say i'm gay he is in the closet". Not Armitage case, but when people use the same to refer Ronan Farrow even in the news about his future marriage with a man it's a little ridiculous.

The truths is he was not bearding and not lying, maybe he doesn't feel comfortable discussing his private life (it's not only a gay thing, there are straight actors who are very discreet) or he thought it would affect to his career. It doesn't matter.

DL is very selective, because if you said something like it won't affect his career in some threads fans have a very bad reaction (Julian Morris is a good example)

by Anonymousreply 62January 7, 2020 9:53 AM

He's on twitter whining about the headline.

His "revelation" is pathetic as a gay man, if that's what he is, at his age in this day and age. The interviewer did more clarifying than he did saying rumours have been swirling about his sexuality to match up with the quote so we know he's not talking about a barren woman.

As one of many actors who likes being other people and probably is loaded with issues about his own inadequacies, he's no worse than many closeted actors, one could suppose. But expecting actors to be role models is absurd anyway.

He reads like an insufferable bore.

by Anonymousreply 63January 7, 2020 10:31 AM

Her's the link. Sorry about filling in the wrong blank,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 7, 2020 10:32 AM

R59 If you see closet as a symptom of oppression, maybe you should realize that he was the oppressed, instead of the oppressor. It's pointless, almost cruel, to blame the oppressed for their failure to escape oppression, because if there's oppression, there'll always be the oppressed, there'll always be the less powerful who are defeated, less reckless people who have more to fear than others, be it reasonable or not. A public figure can have fears for coming out, no less than those of a regular closeted person you're trying to care and empower. Everyone has their own problems, their own family, friends and career to deal with, and may not be as lucky or brave as you brand yourself. But I wonder if a man you know irl finally decides to come out in his middle age, will you also dismiss his coming out and attack him for his cowardice, instead of showing some empathy and solidarity?

by Anonymousreply 65January 7, 2020 11:11 AM

I first caught sight of this man way back when he played the love interest and eventual husband of Geraldine (the Vicar) on The Vicar Of Dibley. I thought Lord God Almighty that is one sexy hunk of man.

by Anonymousreply 66January 7, 2020 11:14 AM

And I'm an atheist.

by Anonymousreply 67January 7, 2020 11:15 AM

[quote]Everything is not about eggplants...

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 68January 7, 2020 11:19 AM

No one but DL knows or cares who he is

by Anonymousreply 69January 7, 2020 11:28 AM

r65, he didn't come out. We don't know what the question was but the writer clearly felt she couldn't publish that he was in a relationship with a man based on his answers.

by Anonymousreply 70January 7, 2020 11:55 AM

[quote]Why would you assume that I want to sleep with this guy as opposed to, you know, caring because I live in a state where it's still legal to discriminate based on sexual orientation in housing, employment, and public accommodations? Or caring because proudly coming out makes a difference to queer people who are at much greater risk for suicide?

Probably because the poster is a fanGURL with no skin in the game.

by Anonymousreply 71January 7, 2020 11:56 AM

R69: He was very popular some years ago as the villain of a Robin Hood tv show. Women loved him.

And of course you know not everyone is popular everywhere. Most rappers who are very popular in the USA are totally unknown everywhere else

by Anonymousreply 72January 7, 2020 12:07 PM

R70 Call it whatever you like. It's his coming out. I don't know what's the point of raising the bar of "coming out" and deliberately dismissing the obvious fact, especially considering RA has never bearded and actually quite open about his relationship with Lee Pace back then. And who are some DLers to stipulate the exact wording one has to use when they come out? Only very few in this world are able to come out when they are young, and I don't think it's helpful to shame or trivialize those who decide to come out after 30. And no, I'm not one of them. I just don't get all the hate here to this man when he finally did so.

by Anonymousreply 73January 7, 2020 12:39 PM

Cpward closet case is whining about Telegraph headline. Yeah so much for coming out

by Anonymousreply 74January 7, 2020 1:02 PM

[Quote] there'll always be the oppressed, there'll always be the less powerful who are defeated

How defeatist. How upholdiing of the status quo.

by Anonymousreply 75January 7, 2020 1:05 PM

[Quote] If you see closet as a symptom of oppression, maybe you should realize that he was the oppressed, instead of the oppressor

You realise people can be active in their own oppression? You realise people can be active in escaping oppression, in fighting against it?

by Anonymousreply 76January 7, 2020 1:07 PM

[quote]Why would you assume that I want to sleep with this guy as opposed to, you know, caring because I live in a state where it's still legal to discriminate based on sexual orientation in housing, employment, and public accommodations? Or caring because proudly coming out makes a difference to queer people who are at much greater risk for suicide?

[quote]Probably because the poster is a fanGURL with no skin in the game.

You people are exhausting and insufferably self-righteous.

The point regarding having (or not) sex or a relationship with him was that unless you're having one, it would make no difference to you as an individual whether he's gay or straight or anything else.

As gossip, I'm all for discussing whether he's nailing (or being nailed) by Lee Pace. But, it's incredibly emotionally needy and comically self-righteous to think he owes coming out or has a responsibility to do so to anyone but himself or anyone with whom he's actually in a relationship.

It seemed rather obvious that he had gotten together with Lee Pace, as we speculated on DL.

You're more a fangurl than I am if you get some sort of emotional satisfaction from celebs coming out. I personally don't care beyond the entertainment value of the gossip and wondering who they think they're fooling.

by Anonymousreply 77January 7, 2020 1:09 PM

[Quote] It seemed rather obvious that he had gotten together with Lee Pace, as we speculated on DL.

You're contributing to his outing, then, so you can drop the attitude.

by Anonymousreply 78January 7, 2020 1:27 PM

[Quote] It seemed rather obvious that he had gotten together with Lee Pace, as we speculated on DL.

You're contributing to his outing, then, so you can drop the attitude.

by Anonymousreply 79January 7, 2020 1:27 PM

[quote]You're contributing to his outing, then, so you can drop the attitude.

LOL - You do recognize that the debate about "outing" and "coming out" are two completely different discussions other than both having the word "out" in them, right?

If you don't recognize the fundamental difference in those two concepts, then it's tantamount to having a discussion between someone speaking German and someone speaking Chinese - they're not using the same language and don't have any common frames of reference to have a meaningful dialog.

by Anonymousreply 80January 7, 2020 1:34 PM

r73, you're being ridiculous. No one is "raising the bar" for coming out. A person who is avoiding saying the gender of his partner or spouse is not being open about it. He's 48 and could be in a relationship with a 60 year old woman for all we know from what he said.

He has the right to stay closeted or being so opaue about being in a same-gender relationships. There are people of all ages all over the world who don't avoid the pronoun of their partner or don't hide the word gay. Defend it all you want, you're not persuading anyone.

by Anonymousreply 81January 7, 2020 1:49 PM

Do you seriously think anyone with a functioning brain who reads that article thinks that he's dating Ann Widdocombe? The journalist links the quote to rumours about his sexuality. I get the importance of saying the words but I think it's disingenous to push the "he could have meant a barren woman" angle. If that were the case, someone from his team would quash the rumors context given by the journalist. In a way, it's a bit like Lee Pace's coming out article. The actor makes a bit of noise (for show?) on social media after the publication but... he let the article be published.

by Anonymousreply 82January 7, 2020 2:07 PM

Fan Fraus pretending to be gay men are over this thread defending this coward closet

by Anonymousreply 83January 7, 2020 2:09 PM

[Quote] The point regarding having (or not) sex or a relationship with him was that unless you're having one, it would make no difference to you as an individual whether he's gay or straight or anything else.

The issue of representation has been referred more than once in this thread. Your attempts to belittle by using "he's not going to fuck you" as a deflection tool is pretty transparent.

by Anonymousreply 84January 7, 2020 2:11 PM

[Quote] LOL - You do recognize that the debate about "outing" and "coming out" are two completely different discussions other than both having the word "out" in them, right?

Speculation about someone's sexuality plays no part in outing? Of course it does. As I said, you can get off your high horse. You're here gossiping with the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 85January 7, 2020 2:14 PM

R82, can you even read what you wrote? You just admitted it that the journalist flagging it is what gets you close to making it a sexuality issue, not what HE said. And even then, she expressly stops short of saying it because she said HE clearly does not want to discuss it. Yes, we all get that he seems to be suggesting he's in a relationship with someone who can't give birth and the journalist is saying "it seems like he's talking about a man"

No self-respecting gay man I know talks this way. He can just fucking say, "I'm in a relationship with a man". Done. If it's so clear, what's the big fucking deal? Why the need to be so evasive.

I repeat, you're being ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 86January 7, 2020 2:14 PM

No, I'm not. And of course you don't address the later quote about parents possibly losing their pride in him if he addresses his personal life.

by Anonymousreply 87January 7, 2020 2:19 PM

Are he and Lee Pace still a thing?

by Anonymousreply 88January 7, 2020 2:20 PM

And yet again, you're admitting he's not saying it. He's talking around it. Ridiculous.

He's evading and making excuses. He's 48. He's being ridiculous and so are you.

by Anonymousreply 89January 7, 2020 2:22 PM

[Quote] And yet again, you're admitting he's not saying it. He's talking around it. Ridiculous.

[Quote] He's evading and making excuses. He's 48. He's being ridiculous and so are you.

You're completely taking me up the wrong way if you think I'm saying that he's NOT talking around it.

However, he is addressing it - whether how he did so is ridiculous or not.

A few years ago, a Luke Evans interview contained a quote from his publicist explicitly acknowledging his sexuality while there was no quote from Luke about it. I thought that was very odd. But in hindsight, I see it a tentative re-coming out for Evans. If he wanted he could claim the publicist was mistaken (NPH did that when he came out, though he was contracting a publicist who claimed he was straight). I think Armitage is in the same ballpark. Coming out is different these days. Gone are the "Yep, I'm Gay" magazine covers. Gay actors nowadays hint around their sexuality on snapchat, IG stories - posts that disappear after 24 hours. That's how they test the waters. Armitage and Evans are of a different generation. Their closet play is awkward in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 90January 7, 2020 2:30 PM

*contradicting a publicist

by Anonymousreply 91January 7, 2020 2:31 PM

R76 I do realize and that's what I see RA is finally doing. He, as well as many people, may not have done it at an early age as you, but I just don't feel comfortable to shame or trivialize them when they finally did so only because they didn't do it earlier. And I don't think that attitude would help other still closeted people. After all, most of us should've and probably could've done it earlier, since the very first moment we realized our true sexuality, even someone as proud and brave as you.

by Anonymousreply 92January 7, 2020 2:33 PM

[quote]He's 48 and could be in a relationship with a 60 year old woman for all we know from what he said...Defend it all you want, you're not persuading anyone.

I'm definitely not trying to persuade anyone who could interpret his words as such.

by Anonymousreply 93January 7, 2020 2:33 PM

To the people who are pushing the "60 year old woman" angle, how do you explain his comment about his parents/proud/personal life?

by Anonymousreply 94January 7, 2020 2:39 PM

I concur with r89 that he's being ridiculous.

It's one thing to want to come out on his own terms at his own timing. He's under no obligation to "represent" anyone's interests but his own, nor make any personal or professional sacrifices he doesn't want to make.

However, at this stage, he's all but said the word "gay" and admitted it. Whatever costs or repercussions that might accrue from coming out will do so. His veiled admissions and careful wording smack of shame and underline the idea that being gay is somehow shameful and not to be referenced except in euphemism in polite society.

Come out, don't come out. Up to you. But, don't be embarrassed or act as if there is something wrong with it if you do it.

by Anonymousreply 95January 7, 2020 2:40 PM

[Quote] His veiled admissions and careful wording smack of shame and underline the idea that being gay is somehow shameful and not to be referenced except in euphemism in polite society.

Exactly.

Hopefully, like Lee Pace, he'll do a follow up interview and clear the air properly.

by Anonymousreply 96January 7, 2020 2:45 PM

Why do so many guys think celebrities need to come out in a super public magazine cover story way?

I understand that it can be helpful to gay people for high profile gays to be out and proud and unapologetic about it, but celebrities who choose not to discuss their personal life are fully entitled not to, they don't owe you a magazine cover and if they are not flat-out lying/bearding or making any homophobic statements then I don't see why they should have any negativity aimed at them. Yes it does strike me as a bit silly when grown men dodge questions or skirt around the topic without addressing it directly, but that is their choice and should be respected.

Those hobbit films were a hot bed of gay though huh? I wonder who's ring ruled them all?

by Anonymousreply 97January 7, 2020 4:10 PM

[Quote]Why do so many guys think celebrities need to come out in a super public magazine cover story way?

We don't. A simple "I'm gay" on Instagram or something similar would have been enough. He didn't do that though, he couldn't even say the word gay, which makes him a coward.

by Anonymousreply 98January 7, 2020 4:14 PM

Personally, I would just like to see an actor come out by showing up at a premiere or red carpet event with his boyfriend, and if asked by the reporters present who he is with, just say "This is my boyfriend Dave." Just treat it naturally, no big deal.

by Anonymousreply 99January 7, 2020 4:17 PM

There are many ways of coming out, Richard didn't use any of them because he didn't come out. He didn't say I'm gay and he didn't announce he was dating a man. Hence he did not come out.

by Anonymousreply 100January 7, 2020 4:25 PM

[Quote] celebrities who choose not to discuss their personal life are fully entitled not to, they don't owe you a magazine cover

Richard Armitage has just spoken about his personal life, so what's your point?

by Anonymousreply 101January 7, 2020 4:25 PM

[Quote] Yes it does strike me as a bit silly when grown men dodge questions or skirt around the topic without addressing it directly, but that is their choice and should be respected.

I disagree. As someone said upthread, silence is one thing, talking around it like Armitage did plays into the belief that same sex attraction is at best something to be hidden, not for polite society. I don't at all believe that playing into that bullshit should be respected. And before a fangirl responds, that doesn't mean I think he should be chased with pitchforks either. (This is a gay forum, we talk about gay subject matter, including the sexuality of public figures. No apologies for that.)

by Anonymousreply 102January 7, 2020 4:30 PM

[Quote] There are many ways of coming out, Richard didn't use any of them because he didn't come out. He didn't say I'm gay and he didn't announce he was dating a man. Hence he did not come out.

No, he just said that he wanted his parents to be proud of him and that talking about his personal life might have threatened that. But of course, in terms of personal life, he was talking about dating Mrs. Robinson. That's what he mean. Mrs. Robinson.

by Anonymousreply 103January 7, 2020 4:32 PM

[quote]Richard Armitage more or less comes out

I'd say less, not more.

Wish I could go to London to see "Uncle Vanya"...

by Anonymousreply 104January 7, 2020 4:54 PM

R86 You mean any self respecting gay man you know who isn’t in the entertainment business who relies on that for his bread and butter, who was never in the closet to begin with would say they’re dating a man. There I fixed it for you. One thing you should consider is a lot of celebrities don’t go around saying they’re dating a woman or they’re dating a man. They say they’re in a relationship or it’s none of your business. Pointing the finger at Richard screaming he’s still in the closet only shows how ignorant and insensitive you are to his situation. You don’t have to live his life nor live with the consequences of his life. Live yours as you want and he’ll continue to live his on his own terms.😒

by Anonymousreply 105January 7, 2020 4:59 PM

[Quote] lot of celebrities don’t go around saying they’re dating a woman or they’re dating a man. They say they’re in a relationship or it’s none of your business.

Let's pretend opposite sex dating and same sex dating are treated the same in public life, they're not. I'm reminded of Matt Damon's declaration that actors should keep their private lives private - the same Matt Damon who's married (a matter of public record) to a woman with whom he's seen on red carpets.

by Anonymousreply 106January 7, 2020 5:19 PM

Screaming? Interesting choice of words. Very few people are typing in all caps or with multiple exclamation points... Most people are commenting on a public figure who has given an interview where he's broached the topic of his personal life. And yes, how he handles the topic as a public figure contributes to the culture in which he lives, and from which he benefits by playing the closet game.

by Anonymousreply 107January 7, 2020 5:21 PM

R99: Nick Hamilton did that and just last week someone posted here that didn't count as coming out because he didn't say the words. It's true that press has a tendency to skip everything that it's not obvious, they did with Hamilton, and they did with Ben Platt when he talked about and ex (using male pronoums) on a red carpet

by Anonymousreply 108January 7, 2020 6:33 PM

There are always going to be people like that person denying Nicholas Hamilton, who has said the words "my boyfriend" on a livestream that was uploaded to YouTube. I like that Hamilton did it that way (plus walking the red carpet with his boyfriend). There's something very powerful about showing something like that, sidestepping the usual old narratives found in "coming out" interviews. It also puts less strain on Hamilton and his relationship.

by Anonymousreply 109January 7, 2020 6:37 PM

Richard, I see you. Wherever you go. Whatever you do in bed. Whoever you snog. You'll never escape me.

by Anonymousreply 110January 7, 2020 7:01 PM

I've never once heard of this guy but good for him! It's never too late to come out.

by Anonymousreply 111January 7, 2020 7:17 PM

bump for the idiot who started a new thread

by Anonymousreply 112January 9, 2020 2:30 PM

r27 How many gay kids has Pete inspired to not kill themselves and/or come out? Like Harvey Milk has done before him, and Barney Frank after that. How many have you? And you're the one to talk about gutlessness? Ugly fucking cunt. The ones who are the loudest online usually do jack shit in the real world when it comes to visibility and advancing LGBT rights.

by Anonymousreply 113January 9, 2020 2:35 PM

[quote] Gutless. Really sick of people applauding these cowards who let the rest of us take the brunt of oppression for decades instead of sharing the burden.

For real??? He's not some anonymous underachieving nobody posting at DL. He had a job which involved cultivating a public profile. He would have borne a disproportionately large share of the burden relative to the typical DL poster. And what would be his reward for that? Exactly nothing.

by Anonymousreply 114January 9, 2020 2:44 PM

R113

Around the turn of the century, I was on a stage giving an acceptance speech for a statewide award for queer youth activism. I started one of the first Gay Straight Alliances in the midwest back when we weren't allowed to be shown kissing on television. Peter was hiding away in the closet until he had a nice, comfortable era to come out in. And no, I didn't have a supportive family to back me up; I had an abusive one. I also didn't know any other queer people until college, let alone receive support from any. I've done plenty for us working in activism, education, and social research. Your assumptions are incorrect. And any inspiration for queer people coming from Peter has been a side-effect of his pursuit of his own self-interest.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just an "Ugly fucking cunt." That's quite a lot of seething rage to direct at a stranger just for criticizing your false prophet. Kind of scary.

by Anonymousreply 115January 9, 2020 4:03 PM

Regardless, i think he is a hotter version of Hugh Jackman. Wouldn't mind having fun with him.

by Anonymousreply 116January 9, 2020 4:08 PM

R114

"And what would be his reward for that? Exactly nothing."

Yeah, that's actually the point. Standing up for your principles, having integrity and the courage of your convictions isn't supposed to be reward-based.

And underachieving? I love how you people seem to think that you know who I am or what I've achieved simply because you don't like something I wrote in an online forum. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 117January 9, 2020 4:11 PM

R112 Your Mummy didn't love you, poor soul?

by Anonymousreply 118January 10, 2020 11:00 AM

[quote]I'm reminded of Matt Damon's declaration that actors should keep their private lives private - the same Matt Damon who's married (a matter of public record) to a woman with whom he's seen on red carpets.

This would also be the same Matt Damon who broke up with girlfriend Minnie Driver in front of millions of people on [italic]Oprah[/italic]. I'd turn to Kim Kardashian for advice on the topic of keeping one's private life private before I would to him.

As for Richard Armitage, I'd rather encourage him for sticking a toe out of the closet to test things than snap at him and drive him back in. I'll get along just fine whether or not he makes any unambiguous declarations to the press.

by Anonymousreply 119January 12, 2020 1:32 AM

[quote] And underachieving? I love how you people seem to think that you know who I am or what I've achieved simply because you don't like something I wrote in an online forum. Grow up.

You have the gift of anonymity. We don't know you. We don't know if you are closeted or out. Whether you are an underachiever or a superstar. We don't know anything about you. You are a nobody. Yet you've stated you have borne some type of burden or endured oppression that Armitage has avoided. YOU need to grow up.

by Anonymousreply 120January 12, 2020 1:56 AM

R120

"We don't know anything about you."

"You are a nobody."

Do you not see the obvious contradictions in your idiotic ramblings?

by Anonymousreply 121January 13, 2020 3:21 PM

R120

"We don't know anything about you."

"You are a nobody."

Do you not see the obvious contradictions in your idiotic ramblings?

by Anonymousreply 122January 13, 2020 3:21 PM

R121 Not really a contradiction. No one actually knows you here so therefore you are indeed a nobody. Just saying. *shrugs*

by Anonymousreply 123January 14, 2020 7:18 PM

Do we know his bf?

by Anonymousreply 124January 14, 2020 11:15 PM

r94, I interpret those words as a man who is making an argument or excuse or blaming his parents for his own anxieties or desire not to be open about whatever he's keeping secret because he wanted to protect his career. If this is his way of saying he's gay and is being genuine, he either has his own damage or is still just being defiant for reasons only he can explain.

If he thinks that means "Yes, I'm in a relationship with a man" it's a pathetic way to say it. He could be in a relationship with a trans-woman, trans-man, an older woman of colour, a mail order bride, who knows.

He seems to resent it even being part of the interview, so if he was not prepared to answer it, I can discount it, but he's put himself in this position.

by Anonymousreply 125January 23, 2020 8:57 AM

Outside the Harold Pinter Theatre after a performance of "Uncle Vanya".

Just when you think "come back, you selfish bastard", you see him in the distance. LOL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126January 27, 2020 2:39 PM

I have no idea who he is but I'm generally not impressed with celebrities who come out of the closet. I'm not saying it isn't brave of them to do so or that it might be difficult for them to do so but I'll save my admiration for others. I came out when I was 15, when I lived in the god forsaken state of Mississippi, while I was in a parochial high school, when I lived in a town that had a population of only 3000 people. Celebrities coming out when they are rich, famous, established, adult is not a big deal to me. I don't admire them nor do I see them as particularly brave. I'll save my admiration for those thousands and thousands of unknowns, those young kids who come out at an age when coming out can be quite difficult. They are the real heroes.

by Anonymousreply 127January 27, 2020 2:58 PM

In or out, I would still lick every inch of him.

by Anonymousreply 128January 27, 2020 3:14 PM

Anyone watching his new show on Netflix?

by Anonymousreply 129January 30, 2020 11:27 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 130February 1, 2020 11:25 AM

Is he currently seeing anyone? I'm sure we have UK gays here on DL. Someone must know something. Is there no gossip about his boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 131February 1, 2020 4:37 PM

[quote] I have no idea who he is but I'm generally not impressed with celebrities who come out of the closet. I'm not saying it isn't brave of them to do so or that it might be difficult for them to do so but I'll save my admiration for others...I'll save my admiration for those thousands and thousands of unknowns, those young kids who come out at an age when coming out can be quite difficult. They are the real heroes.

Just save your admiration altogether. Coming out can be difficult at any age in any place depending on circumstances. LGBT people commit suicide at statistically higher rates than non-LGBT people both before and after coming out. It is not a show and people don't come out just to entertain and inspire others. Living your life authentically is necessary if you are to weather the myriad storms of life that have nothing to do with sexuality.

The one thing millennials get right is to not be so impressed and/or judge-y about sexual orientation and identity.

by Anonymousreply 132February 1, 2020 4:42 PM

Daddy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 16, 2020 11:51 AM

To that cardigan, I say: No.

by Anonymousreply 134June 16, 2020 12:37 PM

You bumped this thread for that?

FF/blocked

by Anonymousreply 135June 16, 2020 12:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!