Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dave Chapelle is getting the Mark Twain award

Next year, maybe Kevin Hart? Or Tracy Morgan?

by Anonymousreply 47January 20, 2020 11:14 AM

What’s your point OP? The fact that you only listed other black comedians must mean you believe he’s unworthy because of race or his humor. And I don’t know that much about him other than snippets, which were some very funny stuff. Is it about gay material? What’s your point?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 4, 2020 8:45 PM

I'm pretty sure you figured out my point R1.

I heard Eddie Murphy was in the running.

by Anonymousreply 2January 4, 2020 8:49 PM

I love Dave Chappelle. He deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 3January 4, 2020 8:53 PM

Oh! I must correct myself, Eddie Murphy was already honoured. I guess it'll be Kevin hart next.

by Anonymousreply 4January 4, 2020 8:54 PM

Dave Chapelle is a comic genius. Yes, he offends everybody, women included. Where were you when he offended women, OP?

His observation about the Alphabet crowd describes DL to a point.

by Anonymousreply 5January 4, 2020 8:57 PM

[quote] Where were you when he offended women, OP?

Gay Men don't exist to be saviours of w*Men.

by Anonymousreply 6January 4, 2020 8:59 PM

So what’s the point of this thread?

by Anonymousreply 7January 4, 2020 9:03 PM

R5 I wondered when the nigs were going to show up and defend him.

I find it funny that in his last special he said you're not permitted to offend "the alphabet people" yet he's made millions doing that and continues to work.

Michael Richards career was ruined for saying nigger. This baboon gets awards for saying faggot.

by Anonymousreply 8January 4, 2020 9:19 PM

By calling people nigs, it shows how you are a selective racist/bigot.

by Anonymousreply 9January 4, 2020 9:33 PM

Sorry to hurt your feelings R9 but I'm fed up with niggers and their bullshit. People like Dave Chapelle go after soft targets because they know they'll get away with it. If he can say faggot--with impunity--then I can say nigger. And will proudly do so.

by Anonymousreply 10January 4, 2020 9:36 PM

By the way R9, nigs is a work that Chapelle has used. But I guess he can use it.

by Anonymousreply 11January 4, 2020 9:37 PM

I really only found his blind KKK guy and I'm Rick James, bitch! sketches worthy of any notation.

by Anonymousreply 12January 4, 2020 11:06 PM

Dave Chapelle as Prince

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 4, 2020 11:43 PM

So no discussion about who gets to use what slurs and who doesn't?

by Anonymousreply 14January 5, 2020 11:55 AM

Blacks and women get to say whatever slurs they want about gay men, but if gay men point out that they even do such a thing they're bigoted and hateful.

That's basically how it works.

by Anonymousreply 15January 5, 2020 11:57 AM

R15 my issue with Chapelle is when he did a "joke" about arguing with a gay man about changing the words husband and wife on marriage licenses. He called it semantics and claims he told the guy to go outside and argue about it and the gayer one of the two is the wife.

The joke isn't funny and so tone deaf about what gays in America have to deal with. But it's ok, he has lots of gay friends.

by Anonymousreply 16January 5, 2020 12:02 PM

I loathe Dave Chappelle but not as much as Kevin Hart. Still we all should be prepared because the Oscars will likely hire Hart as host this year.

by Anonymousreply 17January 5, 2020 12:08 PM

Honored for their tireless work in promoting Homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 18January 5, 2020 12:12 PM

He used to tear at the establishment but now he's part of it.

by Anonymousreply 19January 6, 2020 12:52 PM

Didn't he become a Muslim after going crazy? We all know how the religion of peace feels about gay people.

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2020 10:45 AM

The special was funny and OP is a racist fucking cracker.

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2020 12:48 PM

White gay men claim to be liberal, but the racial slurs come out the moment a black man refuses to kowtow to the same transcult that is actively emasculating gay black men along with white ones as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2020 12:49 PM

George Jefferson was right: y’all crackers are honkies! Dave talked about having gay friends but drew the line at this T shit. He gets it. How is he any worse than, say, Ricky Gervais?

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2020 12:50 PM

Will Ferrell, Eddie Murphy and Jay Leno have all received the Mark Twain Prize.

Dave Barry, Joan Rivers, Mike Nichols and Elaine May and, most egregiously, Sid Caesar, have not.

by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2020 1:01 PM

Oh just shut up, R24.

by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2020 1:03 PM

Make me, R25.

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2020 1:07 PM

I'm funny, dammit! Where's my fucking award?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2020 1:08 PM

[quote]Dave talked about having gay friends

Like I have black friends.

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2020 5:48 PM

[quote]How is he any worse than, say, Ricky Gervais?

They both defended Kevin Hart so they're both garbage.

by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2020 5:50 PM

Back in 2017 Chapelle complained that the BLM movement wasn't a good idea. He didn't like the name Black Lives Matter and he felt they were causing more problems than solving.

The black community went after him and he immediately apologized, back tracked and never said a word about BLM again.

He knows the gay community is a soft target and he knows all the smirking woke white liberals will applaud and laugh because he's a black man saying these things.

How is he any different than Jerry Falwell, Jr, or Sean Hanity, or Tucker Carlson or Trump?

At his last show Anderson Cooper and Andy Cohen were both in the audience smirking and laughing at his "jokes".

I'll believe everything is acceptable when white comedians can get up and ridicule black people and not be labeled racist or have their carers ruined.

He tells a joke about Netflix telling him he can't say faggot because he's not gay and he replies in regards to him being able to say nigger, that he's not a nigger.

Everyone was going on about how brilliant that was. it's not brilliant, it's fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2020 5:59 PM

It isn’t stupid, R30. You are.

by Anonymousreply 31January 15, 2020 9:05 PM

Shouldn't they get the "Jim" award?

by Anonymousreply 32January 15, 2020 9:08 PM

R30 Chapelle can say nigger because he's black. He's not gay, he shouldn't be throwing faggot around so freely.

by Anonymousreply 33January 15, 2020 9:13 PM

Blacks have earned the right to say whatever the fuck they want.

by Anonymousreply 34January 15, 2020 11:33 PM

Gay white male racism knows no bounds.

by Anonymousreply 35January 15, 2020 11:33 PM

Dave Chappelle and Jimmie Walker are both welcome in my house any time to dish the dirt on how horrible gay white men are.

by Anonymousreply 36January 15, 2020 11:35 PM

I know someone on the selection committee. Martin Short was supposed to get it this year but Chappelle lobbied for it when he was in town visiting his old high school with Seinfeld. It's really political.

by Anonymousreply 37January 15, 2020 11:40 PM

R37 seriously? So it's no different than any other award where you suck up or pay for it?

by Anonymousreply 38January 16, 2020 1:20 PM

R34 there was a black man who was president of the United States for eight years.

Chapelle is getting $60 million to tell stories on TV.

Rappers are billionaires.

Hollywood is recasting white characters with black actors.

Black people can give up their victimhood now.

by Anonymousreply 39January 16, 2020 1:22 PM

That “black President” was half white and refused to support anything gay without enabling the tr*ns cult as well. “God is in the mix” is just a more articulate way of calling gay men f@ggots and lesbians d¥kes.

by Anonymousreply 40January 16, 2020 3:41 PM

He couldn’t even get his Norman Lear sitcom characters right. Even gay white men could do that.

by Anonymousreply 41January 16, 2020 3:42 PM

[quote] Hollywood is recasting white characters with black actors.

If they were serious about this, they would remake every Merchant-Ivory movie with all-black casts, not just family fare such as [italic]Annie[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 42January 16, 2020 3:44 PM

Black people have had civil rights for 55 years after 400 years of oppression. The score is nowhere near settler yet. Whites and other nonblacks got off too easy for their collective complicity in the matter, and you have made things worse by glorifying the emasculation of the black man in popular culture since then.

by Anonymousreply 43January 16, 2020 3:46 PM

Settler = settled

by Anonymousreply 44January 16, 2020 3:47 PM

He deserves no prize. Others write his jokes for him.

by Anonymousreply 45January 16, 2020 5:12 PM

R43...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 16, 2020 5:14 PM

Dave Chapelle pontificating on being gay in America makes as much sense as me, a white Canadian, talking about what it's like to be black in America.

He goes after soft targets because he knows we won't retaliate and if we try to nothing will come of it.

If he wants to be edgy why doesn't he go to Virginia and talk about neo-Nazis and white nationalism?

Because he's a coward and some of is fans are probably neo-Nazis.

by Anonymousreply 47January 20, 2020 11:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!