Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #375: "Mixed COMPANY?"

Door chimes, phone rings, in comes... Katrina Lenk!

from the previous:

[quote]The fact that 374 threads have gone by and perhaps none of them hasn't included multiple discussion of Follies is truly worthy of a gay sociology study. And as I have before, I challenge you all to keep it out of of #375 just to see if it's possible. I understand that La Lenk's performance seemingly made it irresistible, but we can be strong.

Live strong, DL! Don't use the "F" word!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600January 17, 2020 3:58 PM

FROZEN?

FREESTYLE LOVE SUPREME?

FLAHOOLEY?

by Anonymousreply 1January 4, 2020 4:50 PM

Fiorello!

by Anonymousreply 2January 4, 2020 4:55 PM

Laura Linney starts her new play tonight. Do we care? Any advance word?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 4, 2020 4:58 PM

I don't agree that there's nothing at stake with a thirtysomething Bobby. Intimacy. A life shared versus "Shall we let it go?" That's not small stuff.

by Anonymousreply 4January 4, 2020 4:58 PM

FAIL!! You Forgot the Fucking word "edition" in your title.

by Anonymousreply 5January 4, 2020 4:58 PM

FADE IN FADE OUT

FALSETTOS

FANNY

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF

FINDING NEVERLAND

FIRST DATE

FINIAN'S RAINBOW...

by Anonymousreply 6January 4, 2020 5:03 PM

Anyone else hear that Maggie Smith's one-woman show is coming to BAM this year?

by Anonymousreply 7January 4, 2020 5:03 PM

Is Karen Olivo still missing performances at Moulin Rouge?

by Anonymousreply 8January 4, 2020 6:04 PM

Bobby should be 40 and it should always be set in present day from here on out. 1970 was soooo long ago and I was not alive. I don't wanna watch that shit.

by Anonymousreply 9January 4, 2020 6:12 PM

[quote]1970 was soooo long ago and I was not alive. I don't wanna watch that shit.

You must have despised "Hamilton."

by Anonymousreply 10January 4, 2020 6:18 PM

A 40-year-old woman in NYC debating commitment and marriage? A highly desirable single, with multiple suitors, and overly helpful married friends?

It's a musical comedy, not science fiction.

by Anonymousreply 11January 4, 2020 6:26 PM

[quote]Is Karen Olivo still missing performances at Moulin Rouge?

It's her signature. She has to miss performances, so the lucky ones who actually see her can feel extra special.

by Anonymousreply 12January 4, 2020 6:57 PM

I must say, for a 56 year old woman, Laura Linney looks spectacular. If she's had work done, it doesn't show at all. (I don't think she has).

by Anonymousreply 13January 4, 2020 7:03 PM

[quote]A life shared versus "Shall we let it go?"

Or a life shared versus "could I leave you? Yes!"

(OOPS!)

by Anonymousreply 14January 4, 2020 7:05 PM

OP, congrats. That's one of the better thread titles and openers we've had in some time.

by Anonymousreply 15January 4, 2020 7:06 PM

Al Martino: "Losing My Mind"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 4, 2020 7:09 PM

Tony Bennett: "Losing My Mind"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 4, 2020 7:10 PM

Tony Bennett: "Losing My Mind"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 4, 2020 7:10 PM

An older Bobby/Bobbie definitely raises the stakes a bit more. These days, I don't think an unmarried 35 year old man or woman raises that many eyebrows like it did in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 19January 4, 2020 7:15 PM

[quote]Is Karen Olivo still missing performances at Moulin Rouge?

[quote]It's her signature. She has to miss performances, so the lucky ones who actually see her can feel extra special.

If Karen really misses as many performances as people say, how does she keep her job? You would think after so long, the producers would remind her she has a contract and if she doesn't start showing up more regularly that they're going to fire her ass and maybe even sue her for breach of contract. Any regular person who doesn't show up for work would get fired, so why should a Broadway star (who isn't even a celebrity at that) be any different? Seriously, how does she get away with it?

by Anonymousreply 20January 4, 2020 7:15 PM

If she does "get away with it", it's presumably because she's not a celebrity and thus there aren't much of any demands for refunds when she's out.

by Anonymousreply 21January 4, 2020 7:20 PM

She seems not to be doing any Tuesday evenings per Ticketmaster

by Anonymousreply 22January 4, 2020 7:20 PM

R20 The story I heard is she told them she is having dance lessons, and they were so fucking overjoyed the Queen of the NO Dancing Leady Ladies was actually upping her weak skill set, they were overjoyed.

by Anonymousreply 23January 4, 2020 7:37 PM

[quote]Bobbie's biological clock ticking is a subtext of the gender-swap Company, and it is made somewhat more specific in the way that Tick Tock was staged. It made the issue of should she or shouldn't she get married more meaningful and with some emotional weight in a way that having a male Bobby simply did not. Who really cares if a 30's good looking white male can't decide if he wants to get married? There is nothing at stake, whereas with a woman, there is.

Even if that argument makes sense, do you not think it's weird that ALL of Bobbie's married friends would spend SO MUCH time discussing that fact that she's not married, yet never actually mention the baby thing, and just leave all of that to "subtext?" I haven't seen this production yet, but it seems like that would be very odd, and I highly doubt they've added any actual lines about Bobbie's biological clock ticking.

by Anonymousreply 24January 4, 2020 7:43 PM

In real life you rarely if ever discuss a single woman, or a married woman's desire for a baby. With so many miscarriages and infertility issues ts a mine-field. You do not talk about someone's poop habits, possible eating disorder, or anything about fertility unless they bring it up first.

by Anonymousreply 25January 4, 2020 7:52 PM

[quote]In real life you rarely if ever discuss a single woman, or a married woman's desire for a baby. With so many miscarriages and infertility issues ts a mine-field. You do not talk about someone's poop habits, possible eating disorder, or anything about fertility unless they bring it up first.

I see what you mean, but I think it would come up if your friends were talking ALL THE TIME about why you're an unmarried, 35-year-old woman and if you ever do plan to get married, or if you're avoiding it.

by Anonymousreply 26January 4, 2020 7:55 PM

I don't think it actually does. Talking about soon to be rotten eggs is not the same as talking about finding the right guy.

by Anonymousreply 27January 4, 2020 7:59 PM

I don't ever talk about the possibility of having a baby with any of my single friends OR married female friends. Despite how close we might be, bringing it up would be stepping into a minefield. If they are dating someone really great, and I might encourage a more permanent union, there is always the implication that they could have children, but I can't imagine anyone reminding a single female friend that their days of having children are numbered.

by Anonymousreply 28January 4, 2020 8:07 PM

[quote]Talking about soon to be rotten eggs is not the same as talking about finding the right guy.

It's not the same, but I would think talking to a 35-year-old WOMAN about one thing would lead to the other, even if one would have to chose one's words carefully.

[quote]I can't imagine anyone reminding a single female friend that their days of having children are numbered.

Agreed, but of course, there are ways of bringing up and discussing the subject without being so blunt about it.

by Anonymousreply 29January 4, 2020 8:11 PM

R29 does not know any 35-year-old women.

by Anonymousreply 30January 4, 2020 8:25 PM

Of course, you generally do not talk to a 35-year-old man about why they are not in a relationship either.

But the characters in Company do.

Maybe we are getting to the problem of this script? No one acta like a recognizable human being.

by Anonymousreply 31January 4, 2020 8:27 PM

We don't see any kids in COMPANY, do we?

by Anonymousreply 32January 4, 2020 8:27 PM

The two scenes that didn't work for me in the London Company were:

1) Poor Baby. A bunch of men worrying about a woman being alone has a different vibe than a group of women worrying about a man. The latter has a maternal element to it, the former just comes across as the men wanting to fuck Bobbi

2) The Harry and Sarah DUI story. It's just gross how breezy they all are about drunk driving, and is a real relic of another era. Now I feel that if someone admits to driving under the influence that they would be shunned, and definitely wouldn't try to play the story for laughs at a social gathering.

by Anonymousreply 33January 4, 2020 8:43 PM

What's playing at the Roxy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 4, 2020 8:47 PM

Re. Laura Linney’s plastic surgery . . . LL has said the focus on looks and pressure to be beautiful was one of the reasons she struggled in Hollywood and a key reason she doesn’t like LA.

However, she’s certainly had something done, if only fillers and Botox. My dermatologist said there’s no one we see on TV or in the movies who hasn’t had work.

by Anonymousreply 35January 4, 2020 9:05 PM

FOLLIES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 4, 2020 10:04 PM

That steaming piece of shit , Slave Play, lasted this long?

by Anonymousreply 37January 4, 2020 10:19 PM

R33, I get all of that, but just running through the original script of COMPANY in my mind, I would there there are many scenes, lines and lyrics that worked fine when the story was set in 1970 but would seem very weird when it's set in the present day, regardless of whether the main character is male or female.

by Anonymousreply 38January 4, 2020 10:22 PM

If a person was a...

by Anonymousreply 39January 4, 2020 11:06 PM

The drunk driving story in Company could still work if Bobby/Bobbie displays utter horror at it. Or is that too subtle for today's audiences and they need someone coming out and saying "drunk driving's bad, kids. Don't do this at home?"

by Anonymousreply 40January 4, 2020 11:43 PM

follies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 4, 2020 11:46 PM

Robbie Fairchild interviewed this weekend on "On Stage" by Frank Dilella. Very cute.

by Anonymousreply 42January 4, 2020 11:54 PM

New Taylor Mac Play Will Seat Audience in Giant Ball Pit:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 5, 2020 1:56 AM

^ How very modernish.

by Anonymousreply 44January 5, 2020 2:00 AM

It takes balls.

by Anonymousreply 45January 5, 2020 2:02 AM

[quote]My dermatologist said there’s no one we see on TV or in the movies who hasn’t had work.

Glenda may be the exception.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 5, 2020 2:09 AM

Based on that short-lived KING LEAR, Glenda may want to reconsider. As a public service, if not out of vanity.

by Anonymousreply 47January 5, 2020 2:15 AM

[quote]The drunk driving story in Company could still work if Bobby/Bobbie displays utter horror at it. Or is that too subtle for today's audiences and they need someone coming out and saying "drunk driving's bad, kids. Don't do this at home?"

If Bobbie did react to the drunk driving story with utter horror, don't you think that in turn would require some counter-reaction from the couple that tells the story? Which would in turn require some new lines? Sorry, but your idea isn't as clever as you seem to think it is.

by Anonymousreply 48January 5, 2020 3:06 AM

Food on my clothes? So what...!

If it's good enough for Stephen Sondheim and Gore Vidal, then it's damn well good enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 49January 5, 2020 3:19 AM

I’m sorry, but Glenda Jackson was in her own play-within-a-play in that Broadway King Lear. She was incredible (as was Ruth Wilson playing The Fool). There was a lot wrong with that production - even tough I appreciated Elizabeth Marvel getting fucked in a pile of trash and then squatting through ther next scene so she could make sure the cum went up her pussy - but Glenda was astounding.

I was shocked when she didn’t even get a Tony nomination, especially after they had expanded the category to six nominees that year. Thankfully Ruth got one.

by Anonymousreply 50January 5, 2020 3:23 AM

R10 I did despise Hamilton. haha. R11 I'm talking about the original version with a male. I think doing it with a woman at all is moronic. R19 EXACTLY.

by Anonymousreply 51January 5, 2020 5:26 AM

Laura Benanti Auditions for NBC's Peter Pan Live!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 5, 2020 1:30 PM

Since when does Laura Benanti audition for anything?

by Anonymousreply 53January 5, 2020 7:42 PM

Didn't Benanti audition for My Fair Lady but then had to bow out because of her baby? She considered it a miracle that she got to replace Lauren Ambrose in that production, because she thought it'd be her last chance to play Eliza.

by Anonymousreply 54January 5, 2020 7:59 PM

"She had to bow out."

Sure, Benan.

by Anonymousreply 55January 5, 2020 8:05 PM

R55 I think she got pregnant. Same reason why Annette Bening missed out on paying Catwoman.

by Anonymousreply 56January 5, 2020 8:11 PM

Laura Benanti was not going to get MY FAIR LADY over Lauren Ambrose. The production was built around Ambrose. Remember the FUNNY GIRL revival that fell apart?

by Anonymousreply 57January 5, 2020 8:14 PM

[quote] I appreciated Elizabeth Marvel getting fucked in a pile of trash and then squatting through ther next scene so she could make sure the cum went up her pussy

wait, WHAT?

by Anonymousreply 58January 5, 2020 8:19 PM

Wouldn't squatting make it come out?

by Anonymousreply 59January 5, 2020 8:20 PM

One would think.

by Anonymousreply 60January 5, 2020 8:22 PM

Yep, it’s exactly how I described it. In the Glenda Jackson King Lear, Pedro Pascal and Elizabeth Marvel fucked on top of a pile of trash on stage (Edmund and Goneril) with Marvel taking her pantries off beforehand. Then, after he cums, she performs her next lines squatting presumably in order to make sure the cum stays in and she gets pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 61January 5, 2020 8:43 PM

But squatting brings the law of gravity into play... it would make more sense if she lay down and kicked her legs up into the air.

by Anonymousreply 62January 5, 2020 8:45 PM

I wasn’t the fucking director!

by Anonymousreply 63January 5, 2020 8:49 PM

[quote]I’m sorry, but Glenda Jackson was in her own play-within-a-play in that Broadway King Lear.

You make that sound like a good thing. Is it???

[quote]Didn't Benanti audition for My Fair Lady but then had to bow out because of her baby?

Benanti has been VERY vocal about the fact that Bartlett Sher initially had no interest in her playing Eliza, and yes, he did build the show around Lauren Ambrose. As it turned out, Ambrose wasn't as well received in the show as everyone hoped she would be, and Benanti was hired to replace (and got a far better reception overall).

by Anonymousreply 64January 5, 2020 8:53 PM

In the MFL revival going to the West End? I guess Diana Rigg reprising her role is rather unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 65January 5, 2020 8:58 PM

Only if that slacker Ambrose repeats, r65.

But it's highly unlikely to go to the West End. There wouldn't be much point.

by Anonymousreply 66January 5, 2020 9:10 PM

I thought Katrina was a terrible choice for Company from the start. She doesn't really exhibit a great sense of humor on stage, and she seems too frosty and chill to play someone looking for any companionship at all.

by Anonymousreply 67January 5, 2020 9:31 PM

Katrina has a moon face.

by Anonymousreply 68January 5, 2020 9:57 PM

Judy Kuhn is so wonderful....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 5, 2020 10:33 PM

While I didn't loathe Katrina Lenk's "Losing My Mind" as much as others, her "Could I Leave You" was just, yeah, no. I've said it before here (as have a small handful of others), but Lenk will make an excellent Desiree Armfeldt someday. (Preferably with a full orchestra and a beautiful production.)

After two Sondheim medleys in that NYPhil concert, I FF'd to Lenk. I felt like I was watching a high school concert band's spring concert. (Blame Gemignani and Lonny Price.)

by Anonymousreply 70January 5, 2020 10:35 PM

R67 My thoughts exactly.

by Anonymousreply 71January 5, 2020 11:19 PM

[Quote] I FF'd to Lenk.

Fist fucked?

by Anonymousreply 72January 5, 2020 11:25 PM

Lenk is probably more suited to "Dear World" than "A Little Night Music." She seems a bit of a space cadet.

by Anonymousreply 73January 5, 2020 11:26 PM

What Sondheim roles would Lenk even be right for? Desiree probably comes the closest.

It's not Sondheim, but I could see her as Sally Bowles.

by Anonymousreply 74January 6, 2020 12:01 AM

Lenk seems hard to cast. There's not a big demand for cold, vaguely European glamour girls.

by Anonymousreply 75January 6, 2020 12:02 AM

I always assumed Ambrose got a rather warm reception for My Fair Lady. I'm usually a fan of her TV and film work, but she didn't impress me in that show at all. She surprised me with how lovely her voice was, proving that she does have a good enough voice for the musical theatre, but her acting was what bugged me and the lousy projection didn't help. I was in the 6th row and could barely hear the poor thing. She didn't have a great stage presence.

by Anonymousreply 76January 6, 2020 12:05 AM

Guess again, r74....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 6, 2020 12:09 AM

I was going to say Lenk is a Kost.

by Anonymousreply 78January 6, 2020 12:14 AM

R68 What's a moon face? Full of craters? Pock-marked?

by Anonymousreply 79January 6, 2020 12:58 AM

That Cabaret that Lenk was in was one of the few good things that Reprise did.

by Anonymousreply 80January 6, 2020 12:59 AM

R80, bit why is Sally singing Tomorrow Belongs to Me? I have always seen that sung by the waiters and the MC.

by Anonymousreply 81January 6, 2020 11:05 AM

Lenk played Fraulein Kost.

by Anonymousreply 82January 6, 2020 12:05 PM

Fräulein Kost and Ernst sing Tomorrow Belongs to Me at the party that ends act one in the play version of Cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 83January 6, 2020 2:39 PM

R79, have you ever heard of Google?

by Anonymousreply 84January 6, 2020 2:43 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 6, 2020 4:46 PM

I missed the MY FAIR LADY revival at LCT in part because of negative word-of-mouth:

It was too long and slow, and...

Many were underwhelmed by Lauren Ambrose, her small voice, and her uneven acting. I think the hype leading up to the production didn't help her: people went in expecting a Liza for the ages, the second coming of Julie, etc. And she wasn't it. I do recall that the reviews were respectful towards her. The word-of-mouth, though, was much more negative.

In hindsight, I wished I'd seen Benanti do it. Or seen Ambrose and made up my own mind.

by Anonymousreply 86January 6, 2020 4:54 PM

Had you seen the show late in its run, you would have experienced a superb Higgins by Harry Haddon-Paton. One of the best I've seen in years.

by Anonymousreply 87January 6, 2020 5:56 PM

Agree, HHP was the best Higgins i've seen. Saw both Elizas - don't get Lauren Ambrose, but Benanti was right. And the set. Fucking glorious.

by Anonymousreply 88January 6, 2020 7:18 PM

[quote] people went in expecting a Liza for the ages

Hey! I'm shhtill alive, people! There'sh only one Liza for the agesh, and it'sh ME, darling!

by Anonymousreply 89January 6, 2020 7:24 PM

Yes, waiting for the replacement cast was the right move. Not only was Benanti perfection, but Danny Burstein was eons better than Norbert Leo Butz. And Harry Haddon Payton should have won the Tony, ESPECIALLY over Tony Shalhoub, which was a ridiculous win.

The production itself was lovely, and beautifully done, but I can see how it would be torpedoed by the wrong cast.

by Anonymousreply 90January 6, 2020 7:26 PM

I finally watched Lenk on the Sondheim special. I liked her in Indecent (didn't see The Band's Visit) and I assumed people were just being unnecessarily nasty. They weren't. I too went to Northwestern and any of the women who did theatre there when I was a student in the late 70s would have done a better job. I thought she was dreadful, both dramatically and musically, sorry to say.

by Anonymousreply 91January 6, 2020 7:32 PM

I know she has her detractors on here, but Benanti was an Eliza for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 92January 6, 2020 7:36 PM

What I heard of Benanti featured less than stellar accent work.

by Anonymousreply 93January 6, 2020 7:40 PM

"foyce", "I would navva." I guess Diana Rigg had already left the production, so...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94January 6, 2020 7:44 PM

Rosemary Harris took over for Rigg.

by Anonymousreply 95January 6, 2020 7:51 PM

Her studio recording is odd too. She pronounces "once" as "'unce", for instance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96January 6, 2020 7:57 PM

[quote]What I heard of Benanti featured less than stellar accent work.

Neither her Cockney nor her RP accents were perfect, and maybe not quite as good as Ambrose's, but certainly not bad at all, and in every other way Benanti was wonderful in the role.

[quote]Rosemary Harris took over for Rigg.

And was brilliant.

[quote]"foyce", "I would navva."

Her cockney pronunciation of both of those words sounds fine to me.

[quote]She pronounces "once" as "'unce", for instance.

No, she doesn't. Why would you type something like that when people can hear for themselves that it's simply not true?

by Anonymousreply 97January 6, 2020 8:02 PM

I didn't get to see Benanti in MFL but did attend a concert she gave. She sang all her MFL songs and told the story as she went. Stunning

by Anonymousreply 98January 6, 2020 8:05 PM

I've been watching interviews with Lenk to see if she has that weird accent in real life and she sounds like a normal woman her age with almost no trace of an accent. Why the weird accent for both the songs on the Sondheim special? Will she be delivering her lines in an American accent in Company, but switching to her Europea accent for the songs? What a confusing dame.

by Anonymousreply 99January 6, 2020 8:05 PM

What word do you hear at 0:55? It certainly isn't Once (or wonce or wunce). She lops off the beginning of the word. That's nonsensical and it hasn't nothing to do with cockney or RP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 6, 2020 8:08 PM

She was interviewd by Skip E. Lowe!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 6, 2020 8:10 PM

I think she lets the "t" in "at" do all the work, so the start of "once" gets a bit lost. There should have been more "w" in her "once." But I don't think she's simply dropping the start of the word.

She really sounds lovely in that cut.

by Anonymousreply 102January 6, 2020 8:18 PM

I saw MFL and Benanti was good. The set was fucking amazing. The show is pretty boring. I sat dead center Orch and everytime that house slide in and out, WOW. And the rotating! Forget about it.

by Anonymousreply 103January 6, 2020 8:18 PM

[quote]I think she lets the "t" in "at" do all the work, so the start of "once" gets a bit lost. There should have been more "w" in her "once." But I don't think she's simply dropping the start of the word.

In my opinion, there's just as much of the "w" sound as there needs to be. She doesn't hit it with a sledgehammer, but it's definitely there, and distinct enough that I don't know what the hell R100's problem is.

by Anonymousreply 104January 6, 2020 8:31 PM

[quote]What word do you hear at 0:55? It certainly isn't Once (or wonce or wunce). She lops off the beginning of the word. That's nonsensical and it hasn't nothing to do with cockney or RP.

She definitely drops the "W" sound on once. I was wondering if the word sits in her break and she was so busy changing from chest voice to head voice that she just let the "W" go.

However, she does get lazy in the beginning by speaking the second "bed" and "sleep". There are notes there and if she can't sing them, she shouldn't be playing the role. And her "Wouldn't It Be Loverly" is atrocious. Did she study the Cockney accent at all? Or even read the script? The Cockney accent drops the "H" at the beginning of words. You can clearly hear her "H" on the phrase "lots of coal making lots of heat." Never mind that her cockney sounds more like a speech impediment. With all the YouTube videos out there of people actually speaking the Cockney dialect there's no reason for her to be so sloppy with the accent.

But despite the fact that she doesn't have the singing technique to handle this very difficult role, she's just not right for the role. She's too porcelain. She's an Elsa in The Sound of Music, not an Eliza in My Fair Lady.

by Anonymousreply 105January 6, 2020 8:38 PM

"Sprad my wings" at 1:40. "Unce" again at 2:00 (repeated later as well). "Spryed my wings" at 2:56... And she keeps changing the way she pronounces "danced."

by Anonymousreply 106January 6, 2020 9:14 PM

oh for fuck's sake

by Anonymousreply 107January 6, 2020 9:30 PM

Do you want us to place a fatwa on her head, r106?

by Anonymousreply 108January 6, 2020 9:30 PM

[quote[Dream Whip predated Cool Whip. // Which is what I said at [R310].

This may be a first. I posted the above on the thread about discontinued foods, and it somehow migrated over here. You'll note that the above follows R96 above but is listed as R324.

by Anonymousreply 109January 6, 2020 10:51 PM

That only shows up on your browser, probably because you posted on one thread and immediately clicked on another.

by Anonymousreply 110January 6, 2020 11:02 PM

Good to know. Thanks, R110. I don't recall that happening before, and this site has been wonky for the past day or so.

by Anonymousreply 111January 6, 2020 11:18 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 6, 2020 11:23 PM

Correct, R69. Judy Kuhn has a unique and fantastic voice. Days and Days is a show-stopper number as is Colors of the Wind in Pocahontas.

by Anonymousreply 113January 6, 2020 11:29 PM

Laura Benanti is a treasure. It's just a shame that she's a soprano, because those roles are so few and far between these days. She has the personality of a brassy beltress and the singing voice doesn't always match.

by Anonymousreply 114January 6, 2020 11:38 PM

[quote]She definitely drops the "W" sound on once. I was wondering if the word sits in her break and she was so busy changing from chest voice to head voice that she just let the "W" go.

She definitely does NOT drop the "w" sound on "once." She definitely sings a light "w" sound at the beginning of the word, all three times it occurs. If she didn't, the phrase would sound like "why all at unss," and that is not what it sounds like. I'm glad we have the link to the recording so that anyone without hearing loss can clearly hear the truth.

Ironically, there are a few other words she pronounces a bit oddly in the song -- some vowel sounds, not consonants -- so it's strange that some people are dogging her for a word she pronounces absolutely correctly.

by Anonymousreply 115January 7, 2020 12:19 AM

More than one person has said she's not pronouncing "once" correctly...

by Anonymousreply 116January 7, 2020 12:42 AM

[Quote] a light "w"

Did you type that with a straight face?

by Anonymousreply 117January 7, 2020 12:43 AM

Can we have an opinion on her pronunciation of “still,” “begged,” and “more”? I have issues with them.

And don’t get me started on what she does to “the.”

by Anonymousreply 118January 7, 2020 12:45 AM

Verge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119January 7, 2020 12:56 AM

I saw both Benanti and Ambrose. Ambrose had some issues and was far from effortless when singing, but there was a real person fighting for respect. Benanti has it in the bag from the beginning and showed it Her singing was also far from effortless, but in a haughty way that was about her training rather than Ms. Doolittle.

Replacement Freddy was terrible, smiling constantly as though he had never stopped playing Cornelius. Danny Burstein was great, and an improvement on his predecessor (as was Rosemary Harris). That set was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 120January 7, 2020 12:58 AM

[Quote] Benanti has it in the bag from the beginning and showed it

That quality is common with Benanti, e.g. "She Loves Me."

by Anonymousreply 121January 7, 2020 1:01 AM

r69

Kuhn is a meeskite and that Days and Days song is a real stinker.

by Anonymousreply 122January 7, 2020 1:16 AM

[quote] Replacement Freddy was terrible, smiling constantly as though he had never stopped playing Cornelius.

Terrible actor, but he sang the role beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 123January 7, 2020 6:32 AM

Plus he has a huge bulge, which he happily shows off all the time on his IG.

by Anonymousreply 124January 7, 2020 10:53 AM

IG link, please.

by Anonymousreply 125January 7, 2020 1:30 PM

Bulge? What bulge?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126January 7, 2020 2:07 PM

Ew.

by Anonymousreply 127January 7, 2020 3:04 PM

[quote]Replacement Freddy was terrible, smiling constantly as though he had never stopped playing Cornelius.

Of course I can't say for sure, but I expect he was directed that way to show Freddy as something of a twit, although it's true that I don't remember the actor who originated the role playing it quite so broadly.

by Anonymousreply 128January 7, 2020 4:49 PM

I think he's just a naturally smiley guy (as evident at R126) and he needs to find a way to control it. Ricky Martin had the same problem when I saw him in EVITA years ago. A dumb smile plastered throughout.

by Anonymousreply 129January 7, 2020 4:56 PM

If he were acting, thought by thought, beat by beat, he wouldn't have to "control" his smile.

by Anonymousreply 130January 7, 2020 4:58 PM

Speaking of food on one's shirt, looks like Bernie spilled a little guacamole on her grey blouse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131January 7, 2020 5:42 PM

Benanti was at her best in Gypsy where she didn't seem to have it in the bag from her first scene. Her Louise was genuinely, painfully awkward and grew into a stunning woman throughout the course of the night. It was beautiful. Plus, she was roaringly funny in the most unexpected spots.

by Anonymousreply 132January 7, 2020 6:30 PM

Still, she still didn't look right as young Louise. Not an inch of babyfat on her face. It's a shame she isn't having roles crafted around her, like "Women on the Verge..."

by Anonymousreply 133January 7, 2020 6:40 PM

Oh dear. Did he trip on his dungeon sling up in CT?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134January 7, 2020 6:49 PM

[quote]Benanti was at her best in Gypsy where she didn't seem to have it in the bag from her first scene. Her Louise was genuinely, painfully awkward and grew into a stunning woman throughout the course of the night. It was beautiful. Plus, she was roaringly funny in the most unexpected spots.

If Benanti did seem like she had it "in the bag" from the beginning in SHE LOVES ME and MY FAIR LADY, I suspect that's because, in the current climate, many people seem to feel that all female characters have to appear completely in control at all times, never vulnerable or unformed or unsure or in need of anything they don't already have. Of course, this is ridiculous, but there you have it.

by Anonymousreply 135January 7, 2020 8:26 PM

Elderly people falling and injuring themselves is such a cliche. I would have expected better of Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 136January 7, 2020 9:28 PM

Me here at last on the ground.

by Anonymousreply 137January 7, 2020 9:31 PM

I'm watching Naked City. Ruth Ford is playing the mother of Kathryn Hays, a pill-popping socialite. I assume it's the same Ruth Ford....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138January 7, 2020 9:39 PM

R137 is my first big laugh of the New Year. Thanks, r137!

by Anonymousreply 139January 7, 2020 11:21 PM

I had no idea that Ruth Ford was so noteworthy. I only knew her from The Grass Harp. She was the widow of actor Zachary Scott but had many lovers, she died ten years ago at 98, completely wrote her daughter & grandchildren out of her will, and was known for having artistic "salons" in her Manhattan apartment. It was at one of those salons that Ruth introduced Stephen Sondheim to Leonard Bernstein. When she died she had a much younger lover that she had set up in the Dakota in his own apartment.

Ruth Ford, who died last year at 98, was best known for the salon she created at her beautiful, art-lined Manhattan apartment, frequented by the likes of William Faulkner, Cecil Beaton, Truman Capote and Andy Warhol. The apartment, is now in the hands of Indra Tamang, raised in a mud house in rural Nepal but for the past three decades the Ford family's loyal servant. In her will, the former actress, model and wife of the Hollywood film star Zachary Scott left her estate, including two apartments and her valuable collection of Russian surrealist art, to Mr Tamang. She kept back only her clothes and some jewellery. Mrs Ford had become reclusive in her last years, barely talking to her estranged daughter, Shelley Scott. Along with Mrs Ford's two grandchildren, she was completely written out of her mother's will. A lawyer for Mrs Scott, who received a modest settlement after challenging the will in court, said she was "very happy" for Mr Tamang. The 57-year-old Nepalese man was persuaded to come to America in 1974 by Mrs Ford's brother, Charles Henri Ford, a writer who had lived in Kathmandu. He cooked, cleaned and cared for Mr Ford, who also lived in the Dakota Building until his death in 2002, and then for his sister. He lived with his own wife and three daughters in a small house in a modest part of Queens. Mr Tamang said he was "grateful, honoured and humbled" by the Fords' generosity but was not altogether surprised. "This is my second family and I think they considered me family, too," he said. The American dream aspect of Mr Tamang's story has its limits, however. The co-op board which decides who can live in the landmark Central Park West building, once the home of John Lennon, is not expected to allow a former member of a resident's staff to move in. Mr Tamang, who now faces a seven-figure tax bill and has already put one of the apartments on the market for $4.5 million, tactfully said he was happy to stay in his house in Queens. While the value of Mr Tamang's property portfolio has been hit hard by the economic slowdown, prices for work by Pavel Tchelitchew, the Fords' favourite and most collected artist, have been rising. Last month his portrait of Mrs Ford sold for nearly $1 million at Sotheby's, a record for the painter. Mrs Scott had contested the will but Arnie Herz, her lawyer, insisted she was not upset about the outcome. He told the Wall Street Journal: "The one thing that everyone seemed to agree upon is that the guy who took care of her mother and the uncle is very well liked and well respected. Shelley also liked this guy and is happy for him." Mrs Ford starred in Orson Welles’s comedy Too Much Johnson opposite her then boyfriend, Joseph Cotton, as well as the western Roaring Frontiers and the crime serial Secrets of the Lone Wolf. She achieved more success on stage, touring with Welles’s acclaimed theatre troupe. Wells was another of her reputed lovers. Illustrating the influence of her artistic salons, Stephen Sondheim said that only a chance meeting with Leonard Bernstein at a Ford soiree led to their collaboration on West Side Story. After two marriages, she took up with a much younger boyfriend whom she installed in a separate attic flat in the Dakota Building

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140January 7, 2020 11:32 PM

Gavin performing at the Met (not that Met, the other Met):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141January 7, 2020 11:35 PM

Blair Underwood driving Broadway audiences wild:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142January 7, 2020 11:36 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143January 7, 2020 11:42 PM

Hopefully Gavin will receive some more music, of the acoustic variety. No more of that dancefloor stuff for which he has not budget.

by Anonymousreply 144January 7, 2020 11:43 PM

*release, not receive

by Anonymousreply 145January 7, 2020 11:43 PM

Gave prefers to receive.

by Anonymousreply 146January 7, 2020 11:47 PM

Jonathan Groff is a dom top?!

by Anonymousreply 147January 7, 2020 11:52 PM

R142 People are that hard up huh?

by Anonymousreply 148January 8, 2020 12:10 AM

In other news, Jason Robert Brown is musicalizing the 1993 film FAREWELL MY CONCUBINE. With an all-Asian cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149January 8, 2020 1:33 AM

Will they all be the right kind of Asian? No one would make an Irish musical with a bunch of Germans.

by Anonymousreply 150January 8, 2020 1:38 AM

Moises Kauffman is directing?? Jesus

by Anonymousreply 151January 8, 2020 1:44 AM

Asian privilege

by Anonymousreply 152January 8, 2020 1:44 AM

Who is the audience for this? Chinese female impersonator tourists?

by Anonymousreply 153January 8, 2020 1:47 AM

I saw that too, R151--I wouldn't trust him to direct him to direct traffic, but he's weirdly esteemed by some people in theatre.

I think JR Brown is making a big deal out of the casting as a pre-emptive measure: if this show actually has a life, he will be pilloried without Asian-Americans on the creative team.

by Anonymousreply 154January 8, 2020 1:49 AM

He'll be pilloried for cultural appropriation, as in "how dare he!" in being a non-Asian writing a show about Asians. It's a different time than when Sondheim wrote the score to "Pacific Overtures", which I don't think has ever done particularly well at the box-office.

by Anonymousreply 155January 8, 2020 1:53 AM

Kaufman is one of those inexplicable people in theater.

by Anonymousreply 156January 8, 2020 1:58 AM

Kaufman nailed [italic]Gross Indecency[/italic] 23 years ago, and [italic]Laramie Project[/italic] in 2000 was ok. That's how he still gets jobs.

by Anonymousreply 157January 8, 2020 1:59 AM

NYC is not about good directors. All it takes is one play well directed and it creates a lifetime career of directing, even though one is a mediocre to poor director. (I might mention Michael Greif ).

by Anonymousreply 158January 8, 2020 2:14 AM

LARAMIE PROJECT was just... okay. To criticize it as anything but Really Groundbreaking Epic Theatre at the time was interpreted as hating on the memory of poor Matthew Shepherd. Which is absurd.

I see some of that thin-skinned, reactive response in the ongoing debate over THE INHERITANCE, or the last ANGELS IN AMERICA production. We're never going to get great and lasting LGBT art if we can't criticize it, people.

by Anonymousreply 159January 8, 2020 2:21 AM

[quote] Kaufman nailed Gross Indecency 23 years ago, and Laramie Project in 2000 was ok. That's how he still gets jobs.

Yeah, but he really fucked up “Bent” in LA a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 160January 8, 2020 2:21 AM

The only salvageable part of the last Angels in America was the actress playing Hannah Pitt. She was fantastic. Everyone else was trash especially the awful performance of Denise Gough.

by Anonymousreply 161January 8, 2020 2:35 AM

[quote]Kaufman nailed Gross Indecency 23 years ago, and Laramie Project in 2000 was ok. That's how he still gets jobs.

But both of those were group projects, neither one greatly dependent on his direction. I believe EVERYTHING he has done since then has been a critical and/or financial flop, which unfortunately (in his case) gives the lie to the the theory that, in the theater, you're only as good as your last show. Like someone above wrote, the fact that anyone hires him to direct ANYTHING anymore is inexplicable. I had hoped that TORCH SONG had ended his career forever, but I guess not....

by Anonymousreply 162January 8, 2020 2:48 AM

[quote] For which he should be blackC

What is blackC, r160? Black cock?

by Anonymousreply 163January 8, 2020 3:06 AM

I meant to write “blacklisted”, but my finger posted before my brain was done.

by Anonymousreply 164January 8, 2020 3:47 AM

NY producers are very lazy when it comes to hiring directors. Talk about rounding up the usual suspects.

by Anonymousreply 165January 8, 2020 1:43 PM

[quote]NY producers are very lazy when it comes to hiring directors. Talk about rounding up the usual suspects.

Agreed, but aren't there far more successful, less flop-ridden people than Kaufman among the "usual suspects?" Maybe he only gets hired when everyone else who's known to be a decent director is already working. But honestly, when it comes down to him, that's when they should really go looking for a talented newcomer.

by Anonymousreply 166January 8, 2020 3:40 PM

I was looking at My Fair Lady page on the Kennedy Center's website, and it warns: 'Please note that Act II contains a brief scene that may be suited for ages 13 and up.'

What are they referring to? The men in dresses during Get Me to the Church on Time?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167January 8, 2020 4:42 PM

Here's a theory - Slave Play's odds of winning the Tony will actually be enhanced by its closing. With no one able to see it -- and witness its crappiness as a play -- come spring, it will increase in its reputation as a cultural accomplishment for woke Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 168January 8, 2020 5:02 PM

[quote]it warns: 'Please note that Act II contains a brief scene that may be suited for ages 13 and up.' What are they referring to?

There's a new scene where Mrs. Pearce teaches Eliza how to orally service Prof. Higgins.

by Anonymousreply 169January 8, 2020 6:09 PM

[quote]Here's a theory - Slave Play's odds of winning the Tony will actually be enhanced by its closing. With no one able to see it -- and witness its crappiness as a play -- come spring, it will increase in its reputation as a cultural accomplishment for woke Broadway.

Interesting theory, but it doesn't really work, because the people who would vote for SLAVE PLAY to win the Tony, or not, are only supposed to vote if they've seen it and all of the other nominees. And there have been reports that, in recent years, the League has been cracking down on this.

by Anonymousreply 170January 8, 2020 6:15 PM

As much as it’s lambasted on this board, The Inheritance will still receive Tony nominations for Best Play, Best Leading Actor in a Play, and Best Featured Actor in a Play.

by Anonymousreply 171January 8, 2020 7:04 PM

Don’t be too sure about that R171...

by Anonymousreply 172January 8, 2020 7:07 PM

FOLLIES set in bombed-out Dresden? I'm THERE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173January 8, 2020 8:58 PM

I was looking at My Fair Lady page on the Kennedy Center's website, and it warns: 'Please note that Act II contains a brief scene that may be suited for ages 13 and up.'

What are they referring to? The men in dresses during Get Me to the Church on Time?

It's a new scene where Higgins , while getting anally penetrated by Freddy Eynsford-Hill, sings," Why Can't a Woman be More like a Man?"

by Anonymousreply 174January 8, 2020 9:22 PM

Forget "Hazel." We'll be getting a "Nanny" musical.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175January 8, 2020 10:02 PM

What we were all waiting for: "Young Frankenstein Live!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176January 8, 2020 10:07 PM

Hot box of crazy Bway producer, Adela Holzer, DEAD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177January 8, 2020 10:17 PM

Trapped in a time tunnel: Stefanie Dietrich (Stella), Dominica Herrero Gimeno (Young Stella) in “Follies” at Staatsoperette Dresden.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178January 8, 2020 10:22 PM

Pagin Almodovar! Carmen Maura IS Adela Holzer!

by Anonymousreply 179January 8, 2020 10:23 PM

Was Young Stella meant to be a transman? An Olympic pole vaulter? A bouncer?

Those legs. Saints preserve us.

by Anonymousreply 180January 8, 2020 10:25 PM

Good god, Jermaine Jackson is disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 181January 8, 2020 10:36 PM

Her name is Luka......

She'll be in the second act!

She'll be upstage from you!

I guess you might have seen her before.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182January 8, 2020 10:47 PM

The most shocking thing about the article at r182 is that Jonathan Marc Sherman is still writing. Remember when he was a teenager and we were told he was going to be the greatest playwright in generations?

by Anonymousreply 183January 8, 2020 11:00 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184January 8, 2020 11:10 PM

Um, Jason Robert Brown is not Stephen Sondheim...

by Anonymousreply 185January 8, 2020 11:24 PM

He's not even Jason Butler Harner!

by Anonymousreply 186January 8, 2020 11:26 PM

Kyle as a twink at the Jimmy awards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187January 8, 2020 11:32 PM

I actually watched that entire FOLLIES from 1991. WTF!? I couldn’t avert my eyes. Why are the young ones doing the twist in “Girls Upstairs?” Why is “Broadway Baby” staged with six backup guys in vinyl police outfits? So many questions.

by Anonymousreply 188January 9, 2020 12:38 AM

Who the hell knows? It’s Germany. We're lucky they didn’t do a coprophilia ballet during "One More Kiss".

by Anonymousreply 189January 9, 2020 12:57 AM

Maybe Young Heidi was doing it offstage because she sure wasn’t in the number.

by Anonymousreply 190January 9, 2020 1:06 AM

Incidentally, the playwright of SLAVE PLAY thinks that only women know how to TRULY act; if a man has some acting talent, he's probably gay or bi. Didn't he hire some straight men for his play?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191January 9, 2020 1:32 AM

R184 Kyle Selig trying to sing Oh, Is There Not One Maiden Breast from Pirates of Penzance was PAINFUL!! He had to scream the high notes.

by Anonymousreply 192January 9, 2020 1:37 AM

Apparently he doesn't have a solo as Aaron Samuels in MEAN GIRLS...

by Anonymousreply 193January 9, 2020 1:44 AM

Re: The Benanti comments, I have to say it's refreshing not to see an entire thread trashing her. I'm a big fan. But I found her Eliza monumentally disappointing. She felt entirely too contemporary in the role, the accents were such a mess and, as others have said, there was no journey for Eliza in her hands. But, I'm still happy she got to play her dream role. Harry Hadden Patton was out the night I saw the show. At first I was disappointed. I needn't have been. His understudy, Clarke Thorell, was magnificent. In fact, he was the first Higgins I'd ever seen who didn't make long for Rex Harrison in the role.

Bart Sher remains, to quote the King of Siam, a puzzlement to me. I found his South Pacific thrilling, but his King & I and My Fair Lady both felt cold and stilted to me.

by Anonymousreply 194January 9, 2020 2:17 AM

Is it a bad sign that Isaac Powell has deleted every single Instagram post? He hasn't made them private, he's literally deleted every post. His account remains live. I was hoping he'd be back in West Side Story by the time I was in NY in late February, but this move makes me a touch suspicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195January 9, 2020 2:18 AM

[Quote] But, I'm still happy she got to play her dream role

This comment is entirely too contemporary.

by Anonymousreply 196January 9, 2020 2:19 AM

He apparently went on a social media post deleting spree a while back. Someone commented about it here but, of course, they failed to elaborate on what he'd posted/deleted.

by Anonymousreply 197January 9, 2020 2:21 AM

You can archive posts on Instagram, right? They disappear from the page but they're not actually deleted.

by Anonymousreply 198January 9, 2020 2:21 AM

[quote]This comment is entirely too contemporary.

R196 - 😂

by Anonymousreply 199January 9, 2020 2:23 AM

Buck Henry has died at 89. He adapted "The Graduate" for the screen and co-created "Get Smart."

by Anonymousreply 200January 9, 2020 3:20 AM

Goddamn, Jeremy O. Harris is fucking exhausting. Does he actually think people are reading his stupid tweets and thinking- Thank GOD! The Algonquin Round Table will rise again! And he doesn't even know the difference between your and you're.

by Anonymousreply 201January 9, 2020 3:37 AM

BROADWAY IS WOKE, R201. Get your geezer self out of the way and let in the new generation of theater folk who grew up on Mamma Mia and Sponge Bob but have all of the answers to what ails New York theater. Too much focus on the past and not enough on the future of theater as a social statement on the evil of white males and cis identifiers. Every new show must reflect that!

by Anonymousreply 202January 9, 2020 4:15 AM

BOB & CAROL & TED & ALICE is such a silly idea for a new musical that it might be brilliant. Or excruciating.

Duncan Sheik has had mixed success as a theatre composer, but even his failures (ALICE BY HEART) are more interesting musically, IMHO, than many of his contemporaries' work. I'd rather listen to ALICE than, say, TOOTSIE.

SPRING AWAKENING is one of the few outstanding musical scores of the 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 203January 9, 2020 4:35 AM

Jeremy Harris really shouldn't handle his own social media. Or he should hire a proofreader, at least.

For a Yale-educated playwright (and I think, a promising one), he keeps stepping in it.

by Anonymousreply 204January 9, 2020 4:38 AM

[quote]She felt entirely too contemporary in the role, the accents were such a mess and, as others have said, there was no journey for Eliza in her hands.

The first two points are arguable, but I really don't think it's accurate to say that Benanti's Eliza had "no journey." To me, an important aspect of the character is that she's a very strong and smart woman from the get-go, it's just that she needs to learn how to speak and act in such a way that she won't immediately be dismissed. I thought Benanti caught all of that beautifully, and I'm wondering in what specific way(s) you feel that her Eliza had "no journey."

by Anonymousreply 205January 9, 2020 5:15 AM

Ugh, I walked out of Alice By Heart after a half hour. I aggressively loathed it. I wanted very much to walk out of Tootsie, as well, and contemplated it all through intermission, but I grimly stuck with it. I've only seen three Duncan Sheik shows and I consider Spring Awakening to be the last great score Broadway has produced. I did not feel the same about American Psycho.

by Anonymousreply 206January 9, 2020 6:47 AM

R205 - I completely agree.

What I think Sher's production did specifically - as he's arguably done in every one of his stagings of classic musicals - was draw attention to the social conditions in which Eliza lived, rather than Eliza herself. It doesn't matter how strong and smart from the get-go one might be if the opportunities to make use of those qualities are limited because of gender or class.

MFL has always been about this to various degrees, but what I thought was genuinely wonderful about Sher's production and Benanti's performance in particular was that Eliza smartly but intentionally outwitted all of the men. She is supposed to be supine and grateful, the subject of a bet between two older educated dudes and a father who wants to profit from her. If Eliza went on a journey, it wasn't that she flowered into the woman that the men wanted her to be, but the realisation that she could suddenly be unstoppable on her own terms if she played along with them.

It's a subtle but significant difference, and I found it (MARY!) profoundly moving. I cried several times: when she stepped off the set, out of Higgins' house and social milieu to deliver the final full-throated final lines of I Could Have Danced All Night; when she appeared in her dress for the Embassy Ball, as if she couldn't quite believe it herself; and the end, where she left that fucker dry and stepped out into the world. Glorious.

by Anonymousreply 207January 9, 2020 10:07 AM

R207 interesting

by Anonymousreply 208January 9, 2020 12:18 PM

R207, The same is true of She Loves Me! Benanti gave the performance the producers wanted. People seem to ignore that the same director did a vastly different production some years earlier. The producers did not want a traditional Amalia. They wanted an Amalia for women who had grown up with Sex and the City.

Unfortunately, this is going to be the norm for a very long time to come. I am waiting for the empowered Bella in Angel Street.

by Anonymousreply 209January 9, 2020 12:32 PM

That being said, Amalia should not have the fashion model vidage that Benanti has. There is no way that woman would be neglected by men. Same as Benanti's Rosabella in MOST HAPPY FELLA.

by Anonymousreply 210January 9, 2020 1:02 PM

[quote]I'd rather listen to ALICE than, say, TOOTSIE.

Why, thank you! Nice to finally get some love here on DL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211January 9, 2020 1:05 PM

r194: Thanks for the shoutout to Clarke Thorell, HAIRSPRAYS original Corny Collins. Handsome, talented fellow with a gorgeous singing voice. He didn't work as often as he should.

by Anonymousreply 212January 9, 2020 1:23 PM

"doesn't" sorry!

by Anonymousreply 213January 9, 2020 1:24 PM

r188: I loved the fabulous Kessler Twins in "Who's That Woman"!

by Anonymousreply 214January 9, 2020 1:25 PM

[quote]Thanks for the shoutout to Clarke Thorell, HAIRSPRAYS original Corny Collins. Handsome, talented fellow with a gorgeous singing voice. He didn't work as often as he should.

When I saw "My Fair Lady" at Lincoln Center, Clarke Thorell was playing Zoltan Karpathy.

by Anonymousreply 215January 9, 2020 1:27 PM

R207, agreed. I thought Benanti's empowered portrayal of Eliza worked beautifully, but her performance as Amalia in SHE LOVES ME, not so much. I think that character has to be more nervous, more unsure of herself, less "empowered" than Eliza, especially at the start of the story, because that's the way she was written.

by Anonymousreply 216January 9, 2020 1:31 PM

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Clarke Thorell had a period of vocal difficulties around the time of HAIRSPRAY, and if so, that would certainly explain why he didn't work more after a certain point. Hope he's fine now, glad he was involved with MFL at Lincoln Center.

by Anonymousreply 217January 9, 2020 1:47 PM

And we love you, r214!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218January 9, 2020 2:46 PM

Now THAT'S how to put asses in seats, R218! Company, schmompany!

Howchamagowcha.

by Anonymousreply 219January 9, 2020 2:53 PM

Bring in the Girls!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220January 9, 2020 3:00 PM

THE INHERITANCE?

Feh. No girls, no gags, no chance!

by Anonymousreply 221January 9, 2020 3:02 PM

Wasn’t “I Love My Wife” basically a musical version of “Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice” with the names changed.

by Anonymousreply 222January 9, 2020 3:29 PM

Alice & Ellen turn on the STEAM HEAT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223January 9, 2020 3:41 PM

I don't live in NYC, and saw a bootleg of Ambrose in My Fair Lady. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did, because I had seen it enough times for a lifetime, but I was curious about Ambrose. She was wonderful. I've read criticisms of her singing, but it did not bother me at all. She was scrappy and a little less sure of herself than most Elizas, which I thought worked beautifully. As someone else commented, I thought the focus was more on the society in which she lived than on Eliza. There is a line in the play which is something to the effect of "the difference between a lady and a flower girl is how she is treated, not who she is." I certainly heard that line before, but it was the first time I HEARD it. Ergo, I have not seen Benanti's version, but it shouldn't make a difference if she appeared strong in the first scene, because Sher really didn't make it about her evolution as much as he commented on how society's view of someone can alter their circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 224January 9, 2020 4:03 PM

Hey kids! Time to open a can of worms.

Let's unpack one of the latest COMPANY promo photos together and discuss representation!

Here's "Bobbi" and her good and crazy people, her friends. Of the 5 couples, one is 2 gay men. Three appear to be interracial, including Patti as Joanne and hubby Larry. Looks like the 3 boyfriends are all white.

I think this is all swell. My question: is there any lesbian content/representation in this production?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225January 9, 2020 4:03 PM

PS: bonus points if you can answer why "Bobbie" is dressed like a convicted prisoner. Is it a metaphor?

by Anonymousreply 226January 9, 2020 4:08 PM

Will Bernadette replace as Joanne?

by Anonymousreply 227January 9, 2020 4:11 PM

All Bobbie's boyfriends are played by gay men?

by Anonymousreply 228January 9, 2020 4:12 PM

"Susan & Peter" do not look right together.

by Anonymousreply 229January 9, 2020 4:12 PM

I saw the Neal Patrick Harris COMPANY (with the NY Philharmonic). It also had Patti Lupone.

I loved it. Is there any reason to see this new revival considering Patti is playing the same role?

by Anonymousreply 230January 9, 2020 4:25 PM

The lead role has been switched to that of a woman.

by Anonymousreply 231January 9, 2020 4:34 PM

R224 Love it. ❤ And I agree. I don't understand why people were bashing her voice. It was perfectly fine. But you know how snooty Theatre queens like to be.

by Anonymousreply 232January 9, 2020 4:37 PM

[quote] The lead role has been switched to that of a woman.

...but that woman is being played by Lenk.

PASS

by Anonymousreply 233January 9, 2020 4:40 PM

Ben Cook out of West Side Story. New Riff - cute kid, but it loses something when the Jets are multiracial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234January 9, 2020 5:06 PM

Have we discussed this yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235January 9, 2020 5:10 PM

ah yes, the classic story of a gang of black and white guys who all hate puerto ricans.

by Anonymousreply 236January 9, 2020 5:13 PM

Is that ballet creep still in the company of WSS?

by Anonymousreply 237January 9, 2020 5:16 PM

[quote]Have we discussed this yet?

I linked to the same article at R176, and the only response was the sound of crickets, R235.

by Anonymousreply 238January 9, 2020 5:26 PM

because we're all bored by the Young Frankenstein choice.

It was a flop on Bway for a reason

by Anonymousreply 239January 9, 2020 5:29 PM

WEHT Roger Bart?

by Anonymousreply 240January 9, 2020 5:38 PM

What's WEHT, r240?

by Anonymousreply 241January 9, 2020 5:43 PM

Last I saw Roger Bart was supposed to play Doc Brown in Back to the Future the musical in the West End.

by Anonymousreply 242January 9, 2020 6:00 PM

Another ugly black boy taking a role traditionally played a white guy for a reason. How thrilling and progressive. I'm Puerto Rican by the way and this totally negates the purpose. A friend of mine saw it and confirmed what I already knew. That its trash. She said it didn't feel like WSS but glad she saw it. She said the computer screen was distracting to her. She said it only worked during the rumble. She saw understudy Tony and said he was horrible. She said Maria was the best thing about it. Her daughter went and it was her first time seeing WSS. She did not like it.

by Anonymousreply 243January 9, 2020 6:20 PM

Blacks and Whites team up against the Puerto Ricans. Yea ok. 👌

by Anonymousreply 244January 9, 2020 6:23 PM

And another ugly racist comment,

by Anonymousreply 245January 9, 2020 6:23 PM

R245 And how is it racist? He is ugly and he is black. Those are facts. And in what world are whites and blacks teaming up together to fight Puetro Ricans? Please. It's idiotic. And for the record, I probably wouldn't mind if he was being played by a hot and thick sexy black boy.

by Anonymousreply 246January 9, 2020 6:27 PM

[quote] And for the record, I probably wouldn't mind if he was being played by a hot and thick sexy black boy.

At least you're not shallow.

by Anonymousreply 247January 9, 2020 6:29 PM

All that Jazzy "street" shit has aged into pure camp. WSS might as well take place on another planet

by Anonymousreply 248January 9, 2020 6:31 PM

R239, the reworked version of Young Frankenstein I saw in London last year was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 249January 9, 2020 6:33 PM

I must say I don't have very high hopes for a musical based on "The Nanny."

by Anonymousreply 250January 9, 2020 6:54 PM

Songs"

"Oh Mr. Sheffield",

"She's Out On Her Fanny",

"Hahahahahehehehehehheehheeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhh (Oh That Laugh Of Hers)"

by Anonymousreply 251January 9, 2020 7:01 PM

I'm proud to announce the nominees for the 34th annual ROBBIE AWARDS have just been announced! This is a very prestigious Los Angeles Area Theater Awards program that highlights the best in theater in the Los Angeles Area! Created by internet theater reviewer Rob Stephens, a real champion of Los Angeles Area theater!

by Anonymousreply 252January 9, 2020 7:24 PM

That's an awful lot of exclamation points, R252.

by Anonymousreply 253January 9, 2020 7:30 PM

And the next major musical revival that Absolutely No One Was Clamoring For....

Diane Paulus "reexamines" 1776 in spring 2021!

At the Roundabout--so you just know it's gonna be good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254January 9, 2020 8:02 PM

And the next major musical revival that Absolutely No One Was Clamoring For....

Diane Paulus "reexamines" 1776 in spring 2021!

At the Roundabout--so you just know it's gonna be good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255January 9, 2020 8:02 PM

I recall the last 776 Revival. The script was so strong that the songs were unnecessary...which is a bad thing for a musical

by Anonymousreply 256January 9, 2020 8:09 PM

I wonder if hottie Ramin Karimloo knew any of the victims of that plane in Tehran. He’s Iranian-Canadian, too, after all.

by Anonymousreply 257January 9, 2020 8:15 PM

It's no Teddy, r252.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258January 9, 2020 8:16 PM

Or a Sea Bee.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259January 9, 2020 8:16 PM

Let alone a Sarah Siddons....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260January 9, 2020 8:17 PM

I don't understand the hate surrounding Ambrose's voice. She genuinely surprised me with how robust she sounded. The main issue was, as many have said, the way she stopped acting the minute the music started. It was like she was so nervous that she wouldn't hit the notes that she couldn't stay in character. I felt like I was watching some opera singer trying to act. Benanti definitely made those transitions much smoother, but she's such a natural musical theatre actress. I think that's what was missing from Ambrose. She's a great actress with a great voice, but she's a terrible musical theatre performer. It almost feels like a gene some people just don't have.

by Anonymousreply 261January 9, 2020 8:22 PM

[quote] [R245] And how is it racist? He is ugly and he is black. Those are facts.

I'm not R245, but when I saw his photo with today's announcement, I thought Dharon E. Jones was very nice looking. So... feel free to say he's ugly in your opinion, but I wouldn't call it a 'fact'.

by Anonymousreply 262January 9, 2020 8:37 PM

I don't think Jones is remotely ugly. And I'm a Broadway fan. I know ugly.

by Anonymousreply 263January 9, 2020 8:40 PM

[quote]The main issue was, as many have said, the way she stopped acting the minute the music started. It was like she was so nervous that she wouldn't hit the notes that she couldn't stay in character. I felt like I was watching some opera singer trying to act.

None of this makes a very compelling case for casting her as in the title role in a high-profile revival of a classic, much beloved stage musical. I like to set the bar a bit higher when I buy a theatre ticket, frankly.

by Anonymousreply 264January 9, 2020 8:43 PM

Jackie Hoffman just tweeted “Why is Vancouver in another country? Why is Canada another country? What is British Columbia is that another country?”

I guess she’s referring to Harry and Meghan. She cracks my shit up.

by Anonymousreply 265January 9, 2020 9:39 PM

Baz Bamigboye has tweeted that Andy Nyman is playing Vandergelder opposite Imelda Staunton in the London production of Hello, Dolly! Nyman last played Tevye in a successful West End production of Fiddler on the Roof. Is director Dominic Cooke intent on only casting Brits and no Yanks in what is an extremely American musical? He did the same thing with Follies but that was OK.

by Anonymousreply 266January 9, 2020 10:13 PM

I saw that Fiddler. Nyman was ok, but could not sing to save his life. They gave almost all of Sunrise, Sunset to Judy Kuhn.

by Anonymousreply 267January 9, 2020 10:30 PM

[quote]She cracks my shit up.

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 268January 9, 2020 10:41 PM

R262 263 Yikes. I guess that comes with slumming it.

by Anonymousreply 269January 9, 2020 10:46 PM

The cast of WSS is being reminded that they have all signed NDAs and they cannot talk to the press about what is going on backstage. When is The Times going to write that story?

by Anonymousreply 270January 9, 2020 10:51 PM

F&F racist r243.

by Anonymousreply 271January 9, 2020 10:56 PM

Andy Nyman also played part of the cute gay couple who invited Judy over and cook her dinner in "Judy." Then they reappear at the end of the movie in a crucial part.

by Anonymousreply 272January 9, 2020 10:58 PM

[quote]I recall the last 776 Revival.

Me too. I hated the actor who played Hrodgaud of Friuli.

by Anonymousreply 273January 9, 2020 11:00 PM

Why didn't the Amber Riley Dreamgirls production transfer from the West End to Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 274January 9, 2020 11:32 PM

They want to build a new revival around Cynthia Erivo.

by Anonymousreply 275January 9, 2020 11:40 PM

R275 oh God, no

by Anonymousreply 276January 9, 2020 11:42 PM

I hope Erivo's Dreamgirls has white actors in a roll traditionally played by a black actor. Colorblind casting is colorblind casting, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 277January 9, 2020 11:59 PM

I'd like a jelly roll.

by Anonymousreply 278January 10, 2020 12:06 AM

R277 Yup. That's how it should work.

by Anonymousreply 279January 10, 2020 12:06 AM

[quote]They want to build a new revival around Cynthia Erivo.

As what? James Thunder Early?

by Anonymousreply 280January 10, 2020 2:12 AM

[quote]ah yes, the classic story of a gang of black and white guys who all hate puerto ricans.

I could be wrong, but I believe the "Puerto Rican" gang in this production has also been cast multi-culturally. I certainly don't think they're all Latino. And apparently they ALL have freaking tattoos, to make them look "tough."

by Anonymousreply 281January 10, 2020 5:17 AM

R281 what is the point of casting both gangs multiracially?

by Anonymousreply 282January 10, 2020 5:57 AM

[quote]Thanks for the shoutout to Clarke Thorell, HAIRSPRAYS original Corny Collins. Handsome, talented fellow with a gorgeous singing voice. He didn't work as often as he should.

[quote]When I saw "My Fair Lady" at Lincoln Center, Clarke Thorell was playing Zoltan Karpathy.

He understudied Higgins, and took over the role of Karpathy til the end of the run. He was excellent in each role.

by Anonymousreply 283January 10, 2020 6:40 AM

Soooo both of the male leads in WSS have now gotten serious injuries. Where is Equity when you need them? Seems like there is not enough being said about this ...

by Anonymousreply 284January 10, 2020 11:39 AM

Is West Side Story the new "Spider-Man"?? How many more actors will be injured to satisfy Ivo's crazed vision?

by Anonymousreply 285January 10, 2020 12:14 PM

Injuries? Big deal!

by Anonymousreply 286January 10, 2020 12:17 PM

"[R281] what is the point of casting both gangs multiracially?"

You don't understand, because you're either old or logical. Despite being multi-racial, all of the Jets IDENTIFY as being white.

by Anonymousreply 287January 10, 2020 12:20 PM

Meanwhile, Anita identifies as being a young gay tearoom queen.

by Anonymousreply 288January 10, 2020 12:41 PM

Hasn't she always r288?

by Anonymousreply 289January 10, 2020 12:42 PM

[quote] She's a great actress with a great voice, but she's a terrible musical theatre performer. It almost feels like a gene some people just don't have.

It’s called training and practice, dear. Something Lauren Ambrose does not have in musical theater. You can’t just suddenly decide that you have an operatic voice and you are going to sing one of the most demanding musical theater roles written. It simply doesn’t work that way. Yes, I know she studied voice for five minutes when she was young. That did not make her qualified to sing MFL.

It’s not a gene. Benanti has been doing this repertoire literally her entire career. That’s why it looks “natural” to you.

by Anonymousreply 290January 10, 2020 12:59 PM

Regarding the WSS injuries, and the earlier rumours about De Keersmaeker's choreography being replaced or being made more B*R*O*A*D*W*A*Y by Sergio Trujillo, perhaps it's worth considering that contemporary dance pieces - as is De Keersmaeker's forte - aren't made to be performed eight times a week. Opera singers and ballet dancers don't do eight performances a week for a reason.

I haven't seen it yet, but could it be that the choreography is just a bit more demanding than usual Broadway song and dance fare?

by Anonymousreply 291January 10, 2020 1:13 PM

I hear from an insider that the Maria has been out for several performances because her voice has been affected by some additive in the "rain" to replace chlorine. The shirtless boys are getting rashes from the rain. Last week they went on with seven understudies. Sounds like fun all around.

by Anonymousreply 292January 10, 2020 1:15 PM

If De Keersmaeker's choreography isn't meant to be performed eight times a week, she shouldn't be choreographing a show on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 293January 10, 2020 1:16 PM

But, but.......she's so NOW. Just read her words........

In her movement vocabulary for the show, she harmonizes the vertical and horizontal. “In ballet, you’re constantly celebrating vertical posture and defying gravity on extension,” she says. “With the history of contemporary dance, post-modern dance, we came to a sense of reality that defying gravity is the history from [a crawling] child to somebody who’s growing up from animal to upright person.”

Who cares if everyone is injured? It's an intellectual exercise. Isn't that the thrust of the new Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 294January 10, 2020 1:34 PM

Anyone who would injure adorable Ben Cook is evil!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295January 10, 2020 1:39 PM

I don't think Benanti sounded natural singing Eliza. Quite the opposite. Her choices drew attention to the work - her work, not the character or piece.

by Anonymousreply 296January 10, 2020 3:18 PM

R287 Haha. Right!

by Anonymousreply 297January 10, 2020 4:12 PM

[quote] The shirtless boys are getting rashes from the rain. Last week they went on with seven understudies. Sounds like fun all around.

Won’t somebody PLEASE think of the shirtless chorus boys?!?

by Anonymousreply 298January 10, 2020 5:14 PM

I have an idea. A theatre centric remake of Deathrace 3000 : Taymor vs. van Hove (sp?)

by Anonymousreply 299January 10, 2020 5:20 PM

I can't help but wonder if someone (a marketing rep) is stirring the pot for WSS. These weird backstage stories are actually helping sell the show, perversely enough. The public is curious and it's selling exceptionally well in previews.

In other news, THE INHERITANCE continues to bleed money every week. Maybe they should consider chlorinated rain or post-modern crawling.

by Anonymousreply 300January 10, 2020 5:34 PM

They should dump Lois Nettleton and stunt cast the role with a series of Real Housewives.

by Anonymousreply 301January 10, 2020 5:39 PM

*Lois Smith

by Anonymousreply 302January 10, 2020 5:40 PM

[quote] Benanti has been doing this repertoire literally her entire career.

but r290 Benanti stunned everyone when she replaced Luker in The Sound of Music opposite Richard Chamberlain. She was, like, 19 so it was before her career - but she just had "it" and still does - and I didn't even particularly care for her in MFL or She Loves Me. But the "it" factor is undeniable.

Having "it" really is real. And mere "training and practice" can make you way more competent and capable but doesn't do the trick.

by Anonymousreply 303January 10, 2020 6:40 PM

Not really R303. I saw that Sound of Music. It was a competent performance. She didn’t “stun” anyone. People were surprised that she was so competent being so young, but there are a lot of kids that could have pulled off the same thing. It actually left me cold. She was so concerned about getting through it and so young that there wasn’t much there other than what was on the page. It wasn’t fully alive. I contrast that with now when there’s a lot of depth and life to her performances, something that only comes with training and practice. Yes, there’s an it factor, but she didn’t have it early on. The charm came later.

by Anonymousreply 304January 10, 2020 7:14 PM

[quote]They should dump Lois Nettleton and stunt cast the role with a series of Real Housewives.

Lois Nettleton died in 2008, so her salary demands are probably minimal.

by Anonymousreply 305January 10, 2020 8:19 PM

R282, don't you know, in this WSS production, none of the issues or tension is about race; they're just fighting over who gets to play basketball at what time on the playground.

by Anonymousreply 306January 10, 2020 8:27 PM

Is the youtube kid helping sell tix to Mean Girls?

by Anonymousreply 307January 10, 2020 8:36 PM

If only Joshua Logan were around now to direct, think of it. Back when he was directing, he often used to feature lots of shirtless guys in locker room scenes, football players shirtless, guys without shirts in "South Pacific", etc. Nowadays with nudity allowed, he'd have naked guys in practically everything (and still insist on being called totally straight).

by Anonymousreply 308January 10, 2020 9:02 PM

Would he be METOOed?

by Anonymousreply 309January 10, 2020 9:04 PM

I don't know if he actually pulled their undershirts off; he only directed them too.

by Anonymousreply 310January 10, 2020 9:10 PM

"to", not "too", that is.

by Anonymousreply 311January 10, 2020 9:12 PM

r298....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312January 10, 2020 9:15 PM

Incidentally, whatever happened to 'Pollyanna Prisspot, School Marm'? That name always cracked me up whenever she'd post.

by Anonymousreply 313January 10, 2020 9:18 PM

I think Pollyanna has been subsumed by The Maiden Aunt Brigade.

These things happen.

by Anonymousreply 314January 10, 2020 9:21 PM

Benanti first caught my attention in that absolutely awful revival of Into the Woods. She was the sole bright spot in a truly excruciating night. It was like your local community theater took over a Broadway theater and everyone either seemed to be phoning it in or they were incredibly miscast. She was the only one who made her role seem fresh and I remember her being incredibly funny and singing beautifully. I've been a fan ever since. I love actors who can support an entire show on their backs even when they shouldn't have to. That's real talent right there.

by Anonymousreply 315January 10, 2020 9:25 PM

Baby Christine "lacked star presence"......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316January 10, 2020 9:28 PM

[quote]Benanti stunned everyone when she replaced Luker in The Sound of Music opposite Richard Chamberlain. She was, like, 19 so it was before her career

Her professional career may have begun with The Sound of Music, but she had been doing musical theatre since junior high school. She's got more than twenty years of doing leads and supporting roles in musical theatre under her belt.

by Anonymousreply 317January 10, 2020 10:07 PM

So if Christine Ebersole took over as Guinevere on just a few days' notice, who did she replace, and what happened?

by Anonymousreply 318January 10, 2020 10:10 PM

[quote]Baby Christine "lacked star presence"......

We know! That's why I booted her ass off Saturday Night Live.

by Anonymousreply 319January 10, 2020 11:40 PM

The first thing I saw Benanti in was as Ann(e?) in A Little Night Music at LA Opera. She definitely had "it" there -- a very funny and, of course, beautifully sung performance. What a great cast they had, too. They very smartly cast from Broadway instead of from the opera world -- Judith Ivy, Victor Garber, Michelle Pawk, Kristen Bell (yes, the movie star... now), Zoe Caldwell, Marc Kudisch. I think it was back in 2003 or 2004.

by Anonymousreply 320January 11, 2020 12:07 AM

Kristen Bell is a movie star?

by Anonymousreply 321January 11, 2020 12:09 AM

I have no idea, r318. I remember her telling the story but I don't remember if she said who she replaced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322January 11, 2020 12:13 AM

Hey Lorne at r319, I'm sorry I couldn't make cancer funny like Gilda did!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323January 11, 2020 12:18 AM

Christine Ebersole replaced Kathleen McKearney who wasn't cutting it.

by Anonymousreply 324January 11, 2020 12:23 AM

Pro tip: blocking the inbred racist fuckwit shitting all over the Megan Markle threads makes his racist fuckwit posts in this thread disappear.

Would be nice if Muriel could block white nationalists from posting here, but I guess that's not gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 325January 11, 2020 12:46 AM

Yeah, the racebaiting on these theatre threads is beyond tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 326January 11, 2020 12:47 AM

[quote]Hey Lorne at [R319], I'm sorry I couldn't make cancer funny like Gilda did!

Hey Christine at r323, you couldn't even remember your lines. You got, what, five lines in that 2 minute skit, and you stumble over five lines.

by Anonymousreply 327January 11, 2020 1:09 AM

Christine's loveliest SNL moment.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328January 11, 2020 1:24 AM

[quote]They should dump Lois Nettleton and stunt cast the role with a series of Real Housewives.

Better yet, they should stunt cast it with other dead actresses, each playing for two weeks!

Imagine that role played by Ethel Barrymore, Mary Boland, Liz Taylor, Claudette Colbert and Ethel Merman!

by Anonymousreply 329January 11, 2020 1:39 AM

[quote] Better yet, they should stunt cast it with other dead actresses, each playing for two weeks!

I noticed you didn't mention me. But then again, if I was offered, Gary would talk me out of it.

by Anonymousreply 330January 11, 2020 2:24 AM

Hey Christine. You were so fucking checked out on SNL, you didn't even realize I'd left the show in 1980 and was replaced by Jean Doumanian, who was then replaced by Dick Ebersole, who was your boss. You dumb fuck.

by Anonymousreply 331January 11, 2020 2:45 AM

There's never been one ideal production of LNM, but Benanti is definitely the all-star Anne ... along with Sian Phillips as Mme Armfeldt ... and who else?

by Anonymousreply 332January 11, 2020 10:45 AM

The best Anne I ever saw was Joanna Riding in London. The best Carl-Magnus was Doug Sills at the Kennedy Center. Everyone else was difinitive in the original production.

by Anonymousreply 333January 11, 2020 10:58 AM

R293, other choreographers from the concert dance world whose choreography was not meant to be performed 8 time a week did okay on Broadway. Balancine, Robbins, de Millle.....I am sure that there are others.

by Anonymousreply 334January 11, 2020 1:42 PM

[quote]There's never been one ideal production of LNM, but Benanti is definitely the all-star Anne ... along with Sian Phillips as Mme Armfeldt ... and who else?

I thought NY City Opera's production in 1990 was pretty fantastic. The best work Scott Ellis has ever done. Sally Anne Howes as Desiree and Regina Resnick is the definitive Madame Armfeldt. You can just feel the imperiousness dripping off her (a far cry from Stritch's fishwife Armfeldt).

Resnick's great "Liaisons" begins at the 51:55 mark. (watch it, she breathes life into the song)

"Send In The Clowns" scene begins at 2:22:56 (watch it, Sally Anne brings warmth to the role that other recent actresses weren't able to capture)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335January 11, 2020 3:13 PM

why is Girl From the North Country recasting the role they put out a breadown for a few days ago?

by Anonymousreply 336January 11, 2020 3:20 PM

Joanna Riding would make a terrific Charlotte now.

by Anonymousreply 337January 11, 2020 6:44 PM

[quote]I thought NY City Opera's production in 1990 was pretty fantastic.

That production was very good overall, but that theater is too large for NIGHT MUSIC, and there were a couple of weak links in the cast. The guy who played Henrik, an opera singer named Kevin Anderson (not the actor), was incredibly good looking and had a gorgeous tenor voice, but his acting was weak, especially for that kind of character. And Michae Maguire, from LES MIS, was also weak as Carl-Magnus -- not funny, and vocally miscast as well. (I believe he was involved with Susan Stroman at the time but then apparently he started abusing her and he was basically drummed out of show business.)

For me, the Kennedy Center production with Doug Sills et al. was the best ALNM I've seen, near perfection.

by Anonymousreply 338January 11, 2020 8:19 PM

The City Opera ALNM was much better on TV than it was onstage.

by Anonymousreply 339January 11, 2020 10:08 PM

[qquote]he was basically drummed out of show business

And now he's an attorney in Los Angeles. Still sings, occasionally, and the voice still sounds good. Les Mis shot him into an arena he didn't really have the chops for. Even without the Stroman situation, I don't think it would have been a long-lasting career.

by Anonymousreply 340January 11, 2020 10:13 PM

He won the Tony for LES MIZ.

by Anonymousreply 341January 11, 2020 10:18 PM

[quote]I thought NY City Opera's production in 1990 was pretty fantastic.

Can you believe that 1990 is as distant to us as 1960 was to them then?

by Anonymousreply 342January 11, 2020 10:21 PM

Yes, he did, r341. And then didn't really have the acting goods necessary to back up that win. His career disappeared as much from that as from the rumors of his abuse of Stroman.

by Anonymousreply 343January 11, 2020 11:44 PM

R343 He won in '88 and reprised 'Enjolras' in the LES MISERABLES 10th Anniversary Concert Dream Cast seven years later. I don't think he disappeared that quickly after winning.

by Anonymousreply 344January 11, 2020 11:54 PM

Here's the 1990 NIGHT MUSIC. I think it's complete. Quality is just... okay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345January 12, 2020 12:49 AM

I saw Michael Maguire in 1991 playing Starbuck in 110 in the Shade in San Bernardino, which is one the the dumps of the world. Maybe that was after he was blackballed.

by Anonymousreply 346January 12, 2020 12:52 AM

R346 Not necessarily. Didn't Patti LuPone do community theater (and was ridiculed for it) after winning the Tony for EVITA?

by Anonymousreply 347January 12, 2020 12:55 AM

Patti did community theatre? Do you mean regional theatre? That's pretty common and where most actors find their work. Community theatre is (maybe) one rung above high school theatre and there's no payment whatsoever. I'd assume she was in Equity during Evita and they frown upon actors doing non-union work.

by Anonymousreply 348January 12, 2020 1:19 AM

R348 I didn't mean she did it immediately after winning the Tony for EVITA. It was sometime in the early '80s before she returned to Broadway in OLIVER!.

by Anonymousreply 349January 12, 2020 1:39 AM

[quote] That production was very good overall, but that theater is too large for NIGHT MUSIC, and there were a couple of weak links in the cast.

As opposed to "Company," which will just have one weak LENK.

by Anonymousreply 350January 12, 2020 2:10 AM

Patti was Rosamund in AS YOU LIKE IT at the Guthrie Theatre directed by Liviu Ciulei, in Mamet’s EDMOND at The Provincetown Playhouse. All regional, not community theatre.

by Anonymousreply 351January 12, 2020 2:30 AM

[quote]Yes, he did, [R341]. And then didn't really have the acting goods necessary to back up that win. His career disappeared as much from that as from the rumors of his abuse of Stroman.

The thing about all those European pop-operas is that they're through sung. Some actors who appeared in them came across very well because they had beautiful voices, and the fact that they couldn't act dialogue wasn't an issue because -- there was no dialogue. Then, later, some of those people were cast in actual musicals with book scenes, and it became obvious that they could not act dialogue well at all.

by Anonymousreply 352January 12, 2020 2:34 AM

[quote] Bobby should be 40 and it should always be set in present day from here on out

The entire show would have to be rewritten so drastically it would not make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 353January 12, 2020 2:36 AM

[quote] Patti was Rosamund in AS YOU LIKE IT

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 354January 12, 2020 2:37 AM

[quote] It was sometime in the early '80s before she returned to Broadway in OLIVER!.

No. That was when she went to Australia for a year and started in Elvira in Sydney, Melbourne, and Adelaide. She did regional theatre, but not community.

by Anonymousreply 355January 12, 2020 2:38 AM

[quote]That was when she went to Australia for a year and started in Elvira

Did she have the boobs to play Elvira?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356January 12, 2020 2:51 AM

R353 I don't think so. Why? I saw it at Barrington with Tveit for the first time. I'm 38. I had no idea it was taking place in the 70s. Was it? Same with Chorus Line. If they didn't stick them in those stupid costumes I would have no idea. Even then I just thought they were like the dancers at my performing arts high school wearing eccentric clothing. I really don't understand what's so dated about the show material. I need examples.

by Anonymousreply 357January 12, 2020 4:04 AM

Patti LuPone did not do community theater after Evita or before Oliver,

She was an Equity actress and could not do community theater without losing her union membership.

by Anonymousreply 358January 12, 2020 6:06 AM

If you look at Lupone's stage work in the 1980s, there does not seem to be much time available for community theater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359January 12, 2020 6:08 AM

Unless she used another name. Here she is doing Sweeney Todd in Brooklyn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360January 12, 2020 6:12 AM

[quote] I really don't understand what's so dated about the show material. I need examples.

r357 it's about many many references in the script. People who are 25–30 today wouldn't talk about Troy Donahue, Peyton Place etc etc

by Anonymousreply 361January 12, 2020 1:31 PM

The lyrics in Company have been revised but in doing so are much less on point.

In 1970 you might clutch a copy of Life, just to keep in touch. Today no one clutches a copy of Time (the lyric change) to keep in touch. No one clutches any magazine to keep in touch.

In 1970 talk of god and the decade ahead really were popular topics (with Time magazine asking on its cover "Is God Dead? just shortly before and no one knowing where the social changes would lead).

Mahler was plucked out of music history obscurity to become the "hip" classical composer.

It is a perfect period time capsule.

by Anonymousreply 362January 12, 2020 1:39 PM

The "talk of God" has been changed to "wedded bliss". And "clothing that you swap" has been changed to "people that you drop".

Someone on here suggested a different lyric to "clutching a copy of Time", it went something like:

"Here's to the girls who play mom, aren't they too much? Keeping house and logging onto Bloomberg.com, just to keep in touch"

by Anonymousreply 363January 12, 2020 1:59 PM

I missed the "clutching a copy of Life" line more than any of the other changes, because of the double entendre of "life." I don't care about the other revisions, but the futility of clutching onto "life" is a beautifully heartbreaking image.

by Anonymousreply 364January 12, 2020 2:18 PM

Also, changes needed to be made to Another Hundred People

"And I'll call you in the morning or my service will explain"

Everyone these days has cell phones, they don't need answering services anymore.

I think it was changed to "I'll call you in the morning or I'll text you and explain".

by Anonymousreply 365January 12, 2020 2:49 PM

Uggh. Those lyric changes are awful. (Sure, Mr. Sondheim. "I Feel Pretty" is the worst thing you ever wrote.)

Does the new COMPANY still mention Sazerac Slings? I remember having to look that up. Even people who were adults in 1970 had no memory of this cocktail, which sounds ghastly.

This website is cute, if not terribly complete, BTW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366January 12, 2020 3:49 PM

What was the lyric change somebody suggested on here? It was funny, as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 367January 12, 2020 3:56 PM

Patti traveled to East McKeesport, where, under the name "Gerda Utling," she played "Mame" with the Coopersmith Community Players.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368January 12, 2020 4:07 PM

It's one thing for Sondheim to change his lyrics (even if said changes are lamentable). He wrote 'em, he can do what he wants with 'em.

However, how can they change the book? George Furth died in 2008.

I guess "Author's Rights" only extend so far....

by Anonymousreply 369January 12, 2020 4:09 PM

You're asking that question when the FOLLIES bookwriter is long dead?

by Anonymousreply 370January 12, 2020 4:12 PM

Thank you all for the examples. I see. I really didn't notice or hear those things when I saw it I guess. I had no idea it was in the 70s. It's a story that totally can work in the present though. Just change those lyrics. It can't be that hard. Go grab Lin Manuel and Harvey Fierstein (KIDDING!) haha.

by Anonymousreply 371January 12, 2020 5:10 PM

That is a good question about Furth's book. What loophole allows that and is there a certain amount they can change before you have to add someone else as co-writer? Speaking of Follies, did the Widow Goldman do all the revisions for those post-70's productions?

by Anonymousreply 372January 12, 2020 5:23 PM

I do seem to remember one witty DL poster saying that they should change "June!" "April" in "Barcelona" to "Amos!" "Andy." Then again, would that reference be just as dated as copies of Life and answering services?

by Anonymousreply 373January 12, 2020 5:25 PM

Speaking of answering services, has any musical ever become as instantly dated and un-performable as Bells Are Ringing by the time the 21st century rolled around? It'd be literally impossible to stage that in this day and age since the entire show revolves around an answering service. So many people would be confused. Even if you kept it a period piece, I feel like it wouldn't work.

by Anonymousreply 374January 12, 2020 5:27 PM

[quote]I do seem to remember one witty DL poster saying that they should change "June!" "April" in "Barcelona" to "Amos!" "Andy." Then again, would that reference be just as dated as copies of Life and answering services?

Even more dated.

by Anonymousreply 375January 12, 2020 5:49 PM

If they didn't switch genders for this production, they could the names to the Kardashian women.

by Anonymousreply 376January 12, 2020 5:58 PM

I don't think the concept of a telephonist is confusing. I'm reminded of the scene of that in Auntie Mame (a movie I still haven't gotten all the way through). As a young'un, it's immediately clear what's going on and the scene is still funny.

by Anonymousreply 377January 12, 2020 5:59 PM

[quote] It'd be literally impossible to stage that in this day and age since the entire show revolves around an answering service.

Literally impossible, R374? Yes, it would have to be done as a period piece, but you don't have have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what an answering service was. It was revived as a period piece in 2001 with Faith Prince. It wasn't successful, but it was badly directed and, although on paper she seemed like a good choice, Faith Prince was not a good fit for the Judy Holliday role.

by Anonymousreply 378January 12, 2020 5:59 PM

I watched "Bells Are Ringing" last week on TCM, and even though it's clearly a period piece now, it's still very entertaining. Judy Holliday was fantastic, Dean Martin fun, and its score is chock full of standards and other enjoyable songs. Yes, Faith Prince, a rather boring Marc Kudisch, and that production fell short, but the concept of an answering service isn't hard for anyone to comprehend, pre-smart phones. Someone like a younger Cyndi Lauper (maybe Annaleigh Ashford) could still pull it off if done well.

by Anonymousreply 379January 12, 2020 6:06 PM

Ashford would be a good choice. Didn't they do it an Encores with Kelli O'Hara? I can't think of anyone less right for that role. It's a personality role and O'Hara, God love her, doesn't have much in that department.

by Anonymousreply 380January 12, 2020 6:08 PM

[quote]Judy Holliday was fantastic, Dean Martin fun, and its score is chock full of standards and other enjoyable songs.

All true, but, regrettably, the movie cut one of the loveliest songs in the score, "Long Before I Knew You."

by Anonymousreply 381January 12, 2020 6:14 PM

Yes, there's only a few phrases of it that Holliday "la da da da da da"s in her singing of "The Party's Over" that remains. They also filmed but cut (though it's available on the DVD) "Is It A Crime?". It's a fun song, and great to see another performance by the great Ms. Holliday, but it's really more a song for the stage, and it would have slowed down the film. I like Dean Martin's performance of the song "Do It", though I rather like the original song in its place "On My Own" as well. The lovely duet "Better Than a Dream" works really well on screen was actually added to the original stage version after the show opened and is in the printed music score.

by Anonymousreply 382January 12, 2020 6:19 PM

Barbara Cook singing "Long Before I Knew You." She was 80 when she recorded this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383January 12, 2020 6:19 PM

R373, I have suggested wanting him to change them to "Oscar" and "Tony." They're both two syllables which fit the music and they are both names that everyone can still relate to and will be able to relate to for the foreseeable future.

by Anonymousreply 384January 12, 2020 6:27 PM

The lyric change I'm thinking of was online related - Huffington Post or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 385January 12, 2020 6:57 PM

R385, so Bobbie becomes a non-entity with no life?

by Anonymousreply 386January 12, 2020 7:01 PM

I love the musical "Bells Are Ringing". I saw the Faith Prince revival and it just landed like a dud. I think part of the problem is that Faith Prince is a great actress (her Falsettoland was excellent) but her comedy needs to be reigned in. So Faith's take on the character became overbearing. Judy Holliday was very subtle with her performance, funny in a quiet way. Faith was going at the comedy and playing to viewers in Hoboken.

by Anonymousreply 387January 12, 2020 7:03 PM

This is the one:

[Quote] Here’s to the girls who play mom/Aren’t they too much?/Keeping house but bookmarking Bloomberg.com/Just to keep in touch

by Anonymousreply 388January 12, 2020 7:22 PM

In contrast to the Sondheim rewrite:

[Quote] Here’s to the girls in their prime. Aren’t they too much. Keeping house but Clutching a copy of Time just to keep in touch.”

by Anonymousreply 389January 12, 2020 7:23 PM

that lyric so doesn't work compared to Life.

by Anonymousreply 390January 12, 2020 8:01 PM

Back in the day, Bernadette is really the only one who could have succeeded as Ella in a revival.

by Anonymousreply 391January 12, 2020 8:02 PM

Michael Maguire was a sexy fucking otter back in the 80s. Chest hair for days.

by Anonymousreply 392January 12, 2020 8:02 PM

A Bernadette-led Bells Are Ringing really could have been adorable. She's just the type that role needs.

by Anonymousreply 393January 12, 2020 8:19 PM

Bernadette is so fucking over-rated. She is a terrible actor and brings no joy to any role she attempts. She does pouty very well, but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 394January 12, 2020 8:29 PM

She was pretty joyful in Hello, Dolly. Better than Bette who looked like she was walking through it and doing her grocery list in her head the entire time.

by Anonymousreply 395January 12, 2020 8:35 PM

Can't you hear her Party's Over, r393?

by Anonymousreply 396January 12, 2020 8:44 PM

R394 And, you bring no joy to your cunty post.

by Anonymousreply 397January 12, 2020 11:06 PM

Hell, I'd go see a Bernadette Peters Bells Are Ringing now. Her voice has diminished a bit, but she still has the range that role would require and, of course, she still looks like she's 45 (especially past the 4th or 5th row). Who says the role has to be for any particular age? It could be more endearing with an older woman and could imply she's a widow who took this job to support herself.

by Anonymousreply 398January 12, 2020 11:13 PM

If Bernadette needs a leading man, I'm available as always.

by Anonymousreply 399January 12, 2020 11:25 PM

So am I.

by Anonymousreply 400January 12, 2020 11:37 PM

Now, now, r400!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401January 13, 2020 12:36 AM

So I'm suddenly getting a lot of discount offers for Jagged Little Pill and Hadestown. Is there a story?

by Anonymousreply 402January 13, 2020 1:36 AM

R357, as several people above have noted, both COMPANY and A CHORUS LINE have many specific references in the lines and lyrics that date the shows back about 45-50 years, and not just the examples people have given here. But on top of that, the basic concepts of both shows -- a bunch of married couples constantly pressuring their 35-year-old bachelor friend to get married, and a Broadway audition being conducted as a group therapy session -- are absolutely "dated" in the sense that the shows only make sense if the original time period of the action is retained.

[quote]Speaking of answering services, has any musical ever become as instantly dated and un-performable as Bells Are Ringing by the time the 21st century rolled around? It'd be literally impossible to stage that in this day and age since the entire show revolves around an answering service. So many people would be confused. Even if you kept it a period piece, I feel like it wouldn't work.

"It wouldn't work" only for people who don't have the basic intelligence or grasp of the history of technology to comprehend how answering services worked and why they were necessary before answering machines, voicemail and cell phones existed.

[quote]They also filmed but cut (though it's available on the DVD) "Is It A Crime?". It's a fun song, and great to see another performance by the great Ms. Holliday, but it's really more a song for the stage, and it would have slowed down the film.

Really? I've always thought of that song as a near-total dud, with only one amusing section in it -- "Those two kids would be alive today!"

by Anonymousreply 403January 13, 2020 1:41 AM

Bells are Ringing wouldn't work today not because of "dated" material (audiences do understand the concept of "period") but because it was one of the "charm" shows, cannily built around the very specific gifts of its star, by writers who knew her well. I think Holluday had much more versatility than many give her credit for (her Billie Dawn is different from Gladys Glover and Ella Peterson and her Laura Patridge in Solud Gold Cadillac was re-envisioned from the stage version that starred Josephine Hull!), but the particular kind of comedy with wistful romance that makes her do godd in BAR was especially designed for her--even more, I'd say, than the Fanny Brice of Funny Girl (though, obviously, the latter's score was made for Streisand). I know Phyllis Newman was Holluday's understudy or standby and I'm sure she was capable, but Holluday was one of a kind. Prince, as good as she can be (and I thought she made Miss Adelaide her own and was strong in A Catered Affair, though the latter left much yo be desired as a show), but her kind of vulnerability (and Adelaide has to have some vulnerability) just doesn't translate to the romance of the comic Ella. Kelli O'Hara sounds about as wrong as could be--I've never seen her really funny and her voice would overpower the score. A good performance of Ella should seem effortless, and that is not a word I would use for either Prince or O'Hara.

Plus the show just disappears anytime Ella isn't on. Sue is a thankless role and the Bplot with her and Sandor/Otto isn't very amusing. Seeing the movie again on TCM did make me appreciate the Dean Martin of the late 50s/early 60s. He matches Holliday in making it seem easy. And I'm not usually a big fan of his--but he was good in this and Some Came Running.

by Anonymousreply 404January 13, 2020 2:23 AM

What about a "revisical" of BELLS with a gay male romance at the center? Make Ella "Elton" and keep it in period.

It would heighten the drama if Elton pines for the Dean Martin character without knowing whether he's straight or not. Set a musical number in a pre-Stonewall gay bar.

by Anonymousreply 405January 13, 2020 2:48 AM

per IMDB.com:

[quote]This film failed at the box office, resulting in a loss to MGM of $1,720,000 ($14.62M in 2018) according to studio records.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406January 13, 2020 2:55 AM

This past December, I went to see MikeR in A Christmas Carol. He said the director insisted on the nude scene, but, I have my suspicions. Anyway, the switch from Orange Theory Fitness to F45 has done wonders for him. His hip flexors are incredibly powerful now. Since he works at that theatre so much, he should see if they can get the couch in his dressing room reupholstered, though. Those tufted buttons really dig into your skin when you have the full weight of MikeR on top of you.

Anyway, do we think there's a chance the Met will bring Porgy & Bess back in 2021 or 22 or are the remaining performances through February my last chance?

by Anonymousreply 407January 13, 2020 2:56 AM

[R394] And, you bring no joy to your cunty post.

Nice to see you posting, Bernie.

by Anonymousreply 408January 13, 2020 2:57 AM

Answering services are not defunct; many doctors' offices still use them.

by Anonymousreply 409January 13, 2020 3:17 AM

Jesus, R409. You must post on ATC. So pedantic. You know exactly what the poster meant -- no one uses answering services in their personal or professional lives outside of medical staff.

by Anonymousreply 410January 13, 2020 3:37 AM

The issue is not whether anyone uses answering services, but whether the public would be so mystified by the concept of an answering service that a revival would not work…

by Anonymousreply 411January 13, 2020 1:26 PM

I'm mystified by the concept of a Show Boat, so that show should never be done.

by Anonymousreply 412January 13, 2020 1:35 PM

I don't understand the need to update older shows (e.g., COMPANY) with modern references/parlance. Movie audiences have no problem with period films, so why can't theater folk do likewise.?

by Anonymousreply 413January 13, 2020 1:47 PM

These paper-thin shows of the past are perfect for Encores! but not for open-ended revivals, especially shows built around a specific personality. Annaleigh would have made a great Ella for Encores! but there's no way it could have run longer on Broadway. (Think AA should be playing Mabel, too.)

by Anonymousreply 414January 13, 2020 1:47 PM

That's the one disappointment about Mack & Mabel, Alexandra Socha is not a very exciting performer. It's not like she created a sensation in that Hey Look Me Over revue with the M&M songs. And Sills must be 60 now. Poor thing has never really gotten over losing his older brother in a horrible plane crash.

by Anonymousreply 415January 13, 2020 1:53 PM

Annaleigh triumphs in every show she does, r414. Thanks to ME!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416January 13, 2020 1:55 PM

Baranski.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417January 13, 2020 2:56 PM

Now movie star Anna Kendrick was in the NYCO ALNM revival, I believe

by Anonymousreply 418January 13, 2020 4:38 PM

I believe that was Danielle Ferland.

by Anonymousreply 419January 13, 2020 4:49 PM

Saw Sing Street. Kinda loved it. It's a small show but a lot of heart. BTW I HATED Moulin Rouge, so I guess i'm not the norm.

by Anonymousreply 420January 13, 2020 7:16 PM

Alexandra Socha for Mabel???

What, was Carmen Cusack busy?

by Anonymousreply 421January 13, 2020 7:18 PM

I sort of like Sing Street. Felt amateur hour to me...

by Anonymousreply 422January 13, 2020 7:38 PM

Where are there discounts for Hadestown? I looked but haven't seen any.

Jagged Little Pill, however... all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 423January 13, 2020 7:42 PM

A gay Bells Are Ringing would certainly liven it up a bit and add a few more dramatic stakes. Then again, that might also be what they thought with the revival of On A Clear Day and we saw how that went. It's a good concept, but maybe it'd be best to do an entirely new show loosely based on that concept. Rip offs tend to fare better than reimagined revivals.

by Anonymousreply 424January 13, 2020 7:44 PM

[quote]Alexandra Socha for Mabel??? What, was Carmen Cusack busy?

Socha played Mabel opposite Doug Sills in that "Mack & Mabel" segment of the "Hey Look Me Over" revue at Encores two or three years ago. It was the best-reviewed segment of the show.

In this clip, at about 1 minute in, you can see Socha do a bit of "Look What Happened to Mabel," and Sills do "Movies Were Movies." She's actually not bad at all. Sills ... well, I hope he's been dieting since he did this. Age is not being as kind to him as it is to some people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425January 13, 2020 8:04 PM

R415-WTF does losing his brother in a plane crash have to do with anything, except your own inflated sense of self?

by Anonymousreply 426January 13, 2020 8:05 PM

Nice belt, r425, but she doesn't have a...for lack of a better phrase....quirky appeal like Bernadette or Jane. She seems spunky enough, but I don't think she could break my heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427January 13, 2020 8:19 PM

Douglas Sills has turned into a hot daddy if that clip is any indication. Can I make a confession? Does anyone like Bebe Neuwirth's singing voice? It always grates me nerves and that's saying a lot since she's singing a song originated by Elaine Stritch. It's not a like a pretty voice is a requirement.

by Anonymousreply 428January 13, 2020 8:43 PM

Of course, one can have a bit too much quirky charm...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429January 13, 2020 8:44 PM

[quote]Movie audiences have no problem with period films, so why can't theater folk do likewise?

Only stupid, ignorant, uneducated theatergoers and moviegoers have a problem with it.

by Anonymousreply 430January 13, 2020 8:46 PM

R428 I think she's horrible. One note performer. Severely overrated and arrogant. R430 Not all of us want to travel back in time. Some of us prefer the present. There is enough period pieces. People are too modern now days anyway. All the girls have vocal fry. If I want a glimpse into how it used to be, I'll just watch something from that exact period. Only exception is something before 1920. Ignorance has nothing to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 431January 13, 2020 9:01 PM

[quote]That's the one disappointment about Mack & Mabel, Alexandra Socha is not a very exciting performer. It's not like she created a sensation in that Hey Look Me Over revue with the M&M songs.

The one disappointment? What about the total miscasting of Lilli Cooper as Lottie and Major Attaway as Fatty Arbuckle just to fill a quota?

[quote]A gay Bells Are Ringing would certainly liven it up a bit and add a few more dramatic stakes. Then again, that might also be what they thought with the revival of On A Clear Day and we saw how that went. It's a good concept, but maybe it'd be best to do an entirely new show loosely based on that concept. Rip offs tend to fare better than reimagined revivals.

How would a "gay BELLS ARE RINGING" work? Do you mean just that Jeff and Ella would both be gay guys? The whole point of the original show is that Jeff doesn't realize the woman he has met and fallen in love with is the same woman who works for his answering service and gives him his messages. I hope no one is suggesting some kind of weird rewrite involving a man pretending to be a woman, because I don't see how that would work at all. Anyway, any gay version of the story would require so much rewriting that the result would no longer be BELLS ARE RINGING.

by Anonymousreply 432January 13, 2020 9:16 PM

I dunno, r425. I think Sills looks (and sounds) pretty great.

Thank you, r426.

by Anonymousreply 433January 13, 2020 9:30 PM

What the fuck are you babbling about, r426? What does that have to do with inflated sense of self?

by Anonymousreply 434January 13, 2020 9:36 PM

[quote]What about the total miscasting of Lilli Cooper as Lottie and Major Attaway as Fatty Arbuckle just to fill a quota

Lottie isn't a real character, she's not based on anyone historically. Why shouldn't Lilli Cooper play her? She's actually pretty good casting for it, assuming she's can really tap.

The fact that they've cast a "Fatty Arbuckle" at all means that, unfortunately, they're using one of the Francine Pascal rewrites. It used to be that Encores endeavored to do a show as it was done on opening night originally, even when said show has since been rewritten (ie, like 70, Girls, 70). But not anymore, and so we get poor additions like "That Frank" in Merrily. Oh well. Fatty isn't really Fatty in the show. When the show was first produced, Arbuckle's widow Minta Durfee was still alive, and they couldn't include him in the cast. After she had died, they didn't want to bother with massive rewriting (more than what they were already doing), so they just slapped Fatty's name on the character of Charlie that Christopher Murney played in the 1974 original cast. It's a one weekend concert, who cares if they cast a POC in a role that was historically a white man? It's doubtful there is a "quota," just a desire to open the casting up.

by Anonymousreply 435January 13, 2020 10:00 PM

"Bells Are Ringing" doesn't have to be gay -- you just switch Ella to Elliot the answering service operator and have Jeff become Jess, who is the career woman playwright in need of a hit who has men oogling her when she goes out to the party and who want to go the RACES with her. The should could work with a couple of lyric changes. "On a Clear Day" actually invented a character and gave her new songs (granted it was Jessie Mueller being very impressive in her NY debut), but it really didn't work for the show, which had a major book rewrite anyway. "Bells Are Ringing" doesn't need that much of an overhaul to its basically simplistic plot -- the dentist, actor and others he/she is helping are purely platonic. Only the playwright and the telephone operator have to have real chemistry. It could work. Plus, I guess if you want to make them gay, I guess it could work, too, but more rewriting -- which again, screwed up "On a Clear Day".

by Anonymousreply 436January 13, 2020 10:04 PM

I don't understand. What is the point of that, r436? I mean, what does it really accomplish? It's not like "Bells Are Ringing" is one of the great musicals that needs to be freshened up so people can still do it.

by Anonymousreply 437January 13, 2020 10:19 PM

It's better than a lot of musicals charging $200 these days, so I disagree -- plus it can mounted for a lot less without special effects.

by Anonymousreply 438January 13, 2020 11:23 PM

"Bells Are Ringing" also has a wonderful score, something that can't be said about most shows these days that aren't jukebox musicals.

by Anonymousreply 439January 13, 2020 11:27 PM

Since we're talking about gender-swapping roles, I DEMAND that a man be cast in "Song & Dance."

Can't you just hear him singing:

Take that look off your face, you would love to be right

I'll bet you didn't sleep good last night

Couldn't wait to bring all of that bad news to my door

Well, my hard bitchin' friend, I knew before.

by Anonymousreply 440January 14, 2020 12:46 AM

what's the word of mouth on van hove's WSS?

by Anonymousreply 441January 14, 2020 12:54 AM

Megan Mabel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442January 14, 2020 1:20 AM

r435 - that tinkering doesn't sound good if it means the original, downbeat ending which shocked audiences expecting a splashy bit of Jerry Herman razz-ma-tazz has been jettisoned in favor of the "Keystone Kops Wedding" finale.

by Anonymousreply 443January 14, 2020 1:29 AM

Who saw Broadway shows last year?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444January 14, 2020 1:46 AM

[quote]Lottie isn't a real character, she's not based on anyone historically. Why shouldn't Lilli Cooper play her? She's actually pretty good casting for it, assuming she's can really tap.

Aside from the fact that that sort of character would NEVER have been an African-American woman, because the film industry (like so many other industries and social constructs) was so segregated at the time, Lilli Coopers's personality and performing style have nothing to do with that character as written. I thought she was well cast in her reconceived role in TOOTSIE (many people disagreed with me), but not as freaking Lottie in MACK AND MABEL.

by Anonymousreply 445January 14, 2020 3:09 AM

These far-leftists just want to rewrite history and pretend that segregation never happened. See the recent Disney LADY AND THE TRAMP remake.

by Anonymousreply 446January 14, 2020 3:23 AM

Lili Cooper should be playing Fatty Arbuckle.

by Anonymousreply 447January 14, 2020 3:27 AM

I'd actually like to see Lili Cooper take on Mabel vs Sills as Mack. Socha was fine at ENCORES previously, but this would be a more dynamic duo.

by Anonymousreply 448January 14, 2020 3:59 AM

Mullally could really have been the great Mabel - it's too bad that never happened.

by Anonymousreply 449January 14, 2020 12:00 PM

Nobody could ever be as perfect for it as Bernadette. She even looked almost exactly like her.

by Anonymousreply 450January 14, 2020 12:38 PM

Do people who post here actually see any shows, or do they just like to keep giving their opinions about the same 3 shows and trash everything else, whether they've seen it or not?

by Anonymousreply 451January 14, 2020 2:05 PM

[quote] Do people who post here actually see any shows, or do they just like to keep giving their opinions about the same 3 shows and trash everything else, whether they've seen it or not?

I definitely trash shows I haven't seen. Can Beetlejuice, for example, in any way, ever be a good show?

by Anonymousreply 452January 14, 2020 2:57 PM

[quote] Can Beetlejuice, for example, in any way, ever be a good show?

Not with that score. It's the element that I thought kept the show completely earthbound. It also plays through about three quarters of the plot of the movie by the Act One curtain, and Act Two is all a lot of huffing and puffing and filler. That said, it could have gone a whole lot worse, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 453January 14, 2020 4:05 PM

I just felt like listening to the Grass Harp overture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454January 14, 2020 8:21 PM

[quote]It's better than a lot of musicals charging $200 these days, so I disagree -- plus it can mounted for a lot less without special effects.

Yes, but what would be gained by gender-swapping the two leads?

by Anonymousreply 455January 14, 2020 10:48 PM

This is on in an hour. Do I want to watch it?

It's a Living

TODAY, 5:00 PM ON ANTEN 5.2, 30 MIN 1981 TV-PG

SEASON 1 • EPISODE 9 • MAKING THE GRADE • COMEDY / SITCOM

Jan's grade depends on how she reacts to her teacher's advances. Jan: Barrie Youngfellow. Larry: Terry Kiser. Lois: Susan Sullivan. Dean Pressman: Priscilla Morrill. Cassie: Ann Jillian. Nancy: Marian Mercer. Woman at Piano: Maxine Elliot...

by Anonymousreply 456January 14, 2020 11:05 PM

All the Mack & Mabel talk got me to listen to the score again, and wow does it make you realize how much songwriting has declined. Sure there are some clunkers but when it's good, it's miles and miles beyond the best songs we get today. Made me sad.

by Anonymousreply 457January 15, 2020 2:29 AM

I was listening to the OBC recording of 42nd St., and although the songs were not originally written for Broadway, that Warren and Dubin sure knew how to write a catchy tune. I'm not surprised the show ran for so many years…

by Anonymousreply 458January 15, 2020 2:55 AM

Harry Warren doesn't quite get his proper due in the tunesmith Pantheon because he is pretty much an exclusively Hollywood composer - working for warners, Fox, MGM and Paramount - and never had a hit Broadway show. "Shangri-La" (1956) was a huge bomb running for only 21 performances.

by Anonymousreply 459January 15, 2020 3:13 AM

Has ENCORES done THE GRASS HARP yet? It seems the perfect, quirky little show to bring to that audience.

I'd happily trade my THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE Redux ticket for that.

by Anonymousreply 460January 15, 2020 3:31 AM

Glad to see Harry Warren getting some love here. His catalogue is incredible. Not only tons of standards, but even throwaways like IN ACAPULCO, YOU DISCOVER YOU'RE IN NEW YORK, HAPPY HARVEST (just to name a minimal few) are musically appealing and distinctive. But he really soars in songs like THE MORE I SEE YOU or IN THE VALLEY (When The Evening Sun Goes Down), they are simply glorious. It puts contemporary "songwriting" in Hollywood and Broadway to shame.

by Anonymousreply 461January 15, 2020 5:39 AM

One of Warren's best songs, the very dark "There Is No Music," was written for Judy Garland when she was going to do "The Barkleys of Broadway." When Judy quit (was fired?) and Ginger took over, the song was cut because Ginger didn't have the vocal or emotional chops for it.

by Anonymousreply 462January 15, 2020 11:06 AM

[quote]Has ENCORES done THE GRASS HARP yet? It seems the perfect, quirky little show to bring to that audience.

You're right, r460. Encores should do it. It could be their "wild card" show, and they can follow it with some blatant cashgrab, which they will need after mounting a first class "The Grass Harp."

Rebecca Luker for Dolly Talbo? She's a bit older than Cook was, but she has that "faded soprano leading lady" look, and her voice is still gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 463January 15, 2020 11:08 AM

Earworm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464January 15, 2020 12:49 PM

Too bad they didn’t record the “Yellow Drum” reprise, where Dolly sings it in counterpoint with Verena singing “Think Big Rich.” Cook is really heartbreaking singing it on the tape of the show.

by Anonymousreply 465January 15, 2020 12:59 PM

Karen Morrow mentions on a podcast that the instrumental tracks were done in Prague. That was unusual, no?

by Anonymousreply 466January 15, 2020 1:16 PM

Thank you, rt461: You picked two of my Warren favorites: "In The Valley (When the Evening Sun Goes Down)" is one of Garland's most beautiful and inexplicably forgotten MGM songs. And the luscious "The More I See You" doesn't get the attention it once did.

by Anonymousreply 467January 15, 2020 1:31 PM

You discover you're in New York....eventually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468January 15, 2020 2:20 PM

"The More I See You" ended up being a pop hit for Chris Montez in the '60s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 469January 15, 2020 2:48 PM

Judy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470January 15, 2020 3:02 PM

Apparently Funny Girl has been announced for Bway in 2020, starring Idina Menzel (who is pushing 50...), per Broadway Journal

by Anonymousreply 471January 15, 2020 3:07 PM

[quote]Idina Menzel (who is pushing 50...)

Not to worry. From the stage she reads to be pushing 70.

by Anonymousreply 472January 15, 2020 3:09 PM

I've always loved this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473January 15, 2020 3:11 PM

Have any of you Queens heard rumours of Idina Menzel doing a Funny Girl revival?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474January 15, 2020 3:11 PM

[quote]Apparently Funny Girl has been announced for Bway in 2020, starring Idina Menzel (who is pushing 50...), per Broadway Journal

Well I never in all my life!

by Anonymousreply 475January 15, 2020 3:13 PM

R471 Oops, didn't see this. Well here's Idina singing Cornet Man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476January 15, 2020 3:13 PM

Any chance of Lillias White as the standby?

by Anonymousreply 477January 15, 2020 3:15 PM

She'll be matinee Fanny, r477.

by Anonymousreply 478January 15, 2020 3:18 PM

Idina can sing the songs, but she's never been funny

by Anonymousreply 479January 15, 2020 3:31 PM

I recall Menzel's "Don't Rain on My Parade" at the Streisand Kennedy Center Honors segment was on the side of cringe. Did she make a dorky lyric change?

by Anonymousreply 480January 15, 2020 3:31 PM

She's loud

by Anonymousreply 481January 15, 2020 3:36 PM

The first version I head of The More I See You was Peter Allen's. I was such a fan during the day. I saw him several times at the Paradise in Boston, and, then, a bunch at a nightclub called Madison's in London. I was thrilled that he recognized me from the Boston shows when he saw me waiting outside at Madison's. We chatted for a little bit, and, thereafter, I was always on his guest list for future Boston shows. He was very friendly, but, looking at videos of him now, I wonder what all the fuss was about. His act hasn't aged well.

by Anonymousreply 482January 15, 2020 4:15 PM

I looked up some Peter Allen videos on YouTube after seeing the TV biopic. He seemed rather charmless. The guy who played him was very appealing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483January 15, 2020 4:21 PM

The funniest thing about Idina Menzel is Adele Dazeem.

by Anonymousreply 484January 15, 2020 4:25 PM

In person, Allen was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 485January 15, 2020 4:34 PM

I meant to post the link to Peter Allen's version of The More I see You

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486January 15, 2020 4:47 PM

I saw Peter Allen in Legs Diamond on Broadway. The show was awful; he was " energetic."

by Anonymousreply 487January 15, 2020 5:07 PM

Thanks for posting that, R469. Good song.

Oh, the 60s! The arrangement is fun, in a cheesy way, but holy mackerel: that dude cannot sing. Even a little bit.

Was there another pop cover version later on? I know this song, but that version is just a little before my time.

by Anonymousreply 488January 15, 2020 5:19 PM

Actually, R486 answered my question.

Not bad. Pleasant, a little bland.

by Anonymousreply 489January 15, 2020 5:25 PM

Somebody who saw it told me it was amazing scenically, r487. She said the sets never stopped moving.

by Anonymousreply 490January 15, 2020 5:46 PM

What men did Peter Allen have affairs with? Surely there must have been some famous ones?

by Anonymousreply 491January 15, 2020 5:49 PM

My Fair Lady Comes To Town (1965)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492January 15, 2020 6:35 PM

[quote]Idina can sing the songs, but she's never been funny

So how do you know she's not? She's a singing Jew from Long Island. She's perfect.

by Anonymousreply 493January 15, 2020 6:54 PM

[quote]Not to worry. From the stage she reads to be pushing 70.

Oh don't tell us you're one of those strange people that actually believe the characters on stage are real are you? Unless you are sitting in the front row with binoculars, she'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 494January 15, 2020 6:59 PM

Should we consider more appropriate titles?

FRUMMY GIRL

FUNNY LOOKING GIRL

NOT ESPECIALLY FUNNY GIRL

by Anonymousreply 495January 15, 2020 7:00 PM

Isn't it around this time when we hear from the poster who talks about Idina's face scaring children at a screening of Enchanted?

by Anonymousreply 496January 15, 2020 7:04 PM

Isn't that Donna kissing George?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 497January 15, 2020 7:06 PM

Carol Channing was practically promanading the passerelle with a walker and no one bitched.

by Anonymousreply 498January 15, 2020 7:07 PM

Barbra was just turning 22.....

by Anonymousreply 499January 15, 2020 7:12 PM

Uninterrupted takes - One uninterrupted take for Judy, and only two 'cuts' for Carmen & Alice. I can't imagine any director/choreographer doing that today.

by Anonymousreply 500January 15, 2020 7:12 PM

No Theatre Queen will ever approve of Idina. They want a complete nobody they can claim they discovered before she was famous.

by Anonymousreply 501January 15, 2020 7:12 PM

Idina proved she had undeniable magnetism in IF/THEN. She made you care about a trivial human being for 2 hours.

by Anonymousreply 502January 15, 2020 7:12 PM

To be fair, r500, Busby did almost kill Carmen filming Tutti Frutti Hat.

by Anonymousreply 503January 15, 2020 7:23 PM

FUNNY--BUT I THOUGHT FANNY WAS SUPPOSED TO BE YOUNG--GIRL.

by Anonymousreply 504January 15, 2020 7:24 PM

Anyone know why Sing Street is transferring? I saw it last night. It's beyond amateurish. It will close by July 4. wtf?

by Anonymousreply 505January 15, 2020 7:28 PM

I was psyched to see SING STREET off-Bway, but was put off by the word-of-mouth.

I agree. It sounds like this show will DIE on Broadway without some major surgery first.

by Anonymousreply 506January 15, 2020 7:31 PM

[quote]Isn't it around this time when we hear from the poster who talks about Idina's face scaring children at a screening of Enchanted?

Honestly, and with no exaggeration, she did look quite hideous in that movie, at least in some shots. I remember I couldn't get over how carelessly she was photographed. She looked far better in RENT.

by Anonymousreply 507January 15, 2020 7:42 PM

[quote]FUNNY--BUT I THOUGHT FANNY WAS SUPPOSED TO BE YOUNG--GIRL.

Idina is an actress, she'll act young.

by Anonymousreply 508January 15, 2020 7:42 PM

Maybe they should adapt FUNNY LADY instead.

by Anonymousreply 509January 15, 2020 8:07 PM

[quote]Idina is an actress, she'll act young.

She's got 36 expressions! Sweet as pie to tough as leather.

by Anonymousreply 510January 15, 2020 8:30 PM

Idina will be 50. Fanny Brice died at 60.

by Anonymousreply 511January 15, 2020 8:31 PM

Tovah for Mrs Brice?

by Anonymousreply 512January 15, 2020 8:37 PM

I'm still young and can play Fannie better than hatchet-face Idina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513January 15, 2020 8:43 PM

"Well I never in all my life! —Lea Michele"

Imagine how I feel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 514January 15, 2020 9:02 PM

R512. Not even in jest...

by Anonymousreply 515January 15, 2020 9:13 PM

A Britney Spears Jukebox musical on Broadway. Who's booking The Marquis? Did they not learn from "Margueritaville"?

by Anonymousreply 516January 15, 2020 9:15 PM

Gee, r514.....born in London and died in....Gardena.

by Anonymousreply 517January 15, 2020 9:20 PM

And somehow Gardena, California, ended up in the UK. Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 518January 15, 2020 9:22 PM

Please don't mention her name, r516. Just last week on my jaunt....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519January 15, 2020 9:29 PM

What is "The Zone"?

by Anonymousreply 520January 15, 2020 9:30 PM

Hell if I know.

by Anonymousreply 521January 15, 2020 9:32 PM

But, but...............

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522January 15, 2020 9:41 PM

[quote]"Margueritaville"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 523January 15, 2020 9:47 PM

yeah, it was hell on the lungs

by Anonymousreply 524January 15, 2020 9:59 PM

R505 How do you mean by 'amateurish'? I believe the book writer also wrote the book for ONCE, and the director won a directing Tony a couple years back.

by Anonymousreply 525January 15, 2020 10:14 PM

I guess they're going to need to change the name to "Funny Older Woman Going Through Menopause."

by Anonymousreply 526January 15, 2020 10:23 PM

Gardena is the garden spot of California! It's almost as lovely as San Berdoo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527January 15, 2020 10:27 PM

[quote]Well I never in all my life! —Lea Michele"

Lea can be first replacement.

by Anonymousreply 528January 15, 2020 10:47 PM

Idina Menzel is Funny "Girl"

Not only is she not funny, nor a girl, she also has one of the most off-putting personalities ever. She exudes conceit.

by Anonymousreply 529January 15, 2020 11:05 PM

r529 = Kristi Dawn

by Anonymousreply 530January 15, 2020 11:15 PM

I’d actually be interested in seeing this Funny Girl because I know Idina will sing the roof off the place.

The script is crap so I’ll just ignore it

by Anonymousreply 531January 15, 2020 11:19 PM

Who will be Nicky Arnstein? Aaron Lazar?

by Anonymousreply 532January 15, 2020 11:28 PM

No, Taye Diggs

by Anonymousreply 533January 15, 2020 11:33 PM

Nicky Arnstein is supposed to be older and more sophisticated than Fanny (who is a teenager at the start of the show).

So I'm thinking they'll see if Lee Roy Reams or Tommy Tune are available.

by Anonymousreply 534January 15, 2020 11:39 PM

Maybe Martin Vidnovic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535January 15, 2020 11:45 PM

Idina Menzel is a Triple Threat!

Can't Act

Can't Sing (that's technically shrieking)

Number 3 could either be: "She's Not Funny!" or "Hatchetface!" depending on how mean you are.

by Anonymousreply 536January 15, 2020 11:50 PM

At 82, DL fave Linda "ALICE" Lavin would be perfect as Fanny's mom.

by Anonymousreply 537January 15, 2020 11:55 PM

Jayne Houdyshell will probably play Mrs Brice.

by Anonymousreply 538January 16, 2020 12:01 AM

Muriel needs to make "I'm a DL Fave!" t-shirts.

by Anonymousreply 539January 16, 2020 12:02 AM

[quote] Idina Menzel is Funny "Girl"... Not only is she not funny, nor a girl, she also has one of the most off-putting personalities ever. She exudes conceit.

Oh my R529 has spoken. Perhaps Idina should just retire now and become a housewife back on Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 540January 16, 2020 12:41 AM

R536 THANK YOU. She's fucking awful.

by Anonymousreply 541January 16, 2020 12:48 AM

R536 THANK YOU. She's fucking awful.

by Anonymousreply 542January 16, 2020 12:48 AM

Miss Loudon....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543January 16, 2020 1:08 AM

Obviously, Alex Newell IS Fanny Brice in 'Funny, Girl?'. Only a black trans fatty with no fanny can do justice to Fanny.

by Anonymousreply 544January 16, 2020 1:22 AM

It's America. Alex has a fanny.

by Anonymousreply 545January 16, 2020 1:35 AM

[quote]Maybe Martin Vidnovic?

Then of course Laura Benanti for matinee Fanny.

by Anonymousreply 546January 16, 2020 2:33 AM

Benanti can play the Anne Francis part.

by Anonymousreply 547January 16, 2020 2:36 AM

In the stage version it’s the Allyn Ann McLerie part. It was cut in rehearsals, and her three remaining lines were doled out to the chorus girls.

by Anonymousreply 548January 16, 2020 2:53 AM

Allyn Ann!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549January 16, 2020 3:18 AM

Move over, Barbara Nichols!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550January 16, 2020 3:19 AM

Kit was Sally in the first FOLLIES production that I saw.

by Anonymousreply 551January 16, 2020 3:23 AM

... did she try for the soprano notes?

by Anonymousreply 552January 16, 2020 3:27 AM

It was about 45 years ago. I only vaguely remember her Losing my Mind....it was torchy. Also her gown probably out-sparkled Dorothy Collins....just a bit.

by Anonymousreply 553January 16, 2020 3:32 AM

^ Collins'

by Anonymousreply 554January 16, 2020 3:33 AM

[quote]r79 What's a moon face? Full of craters? Pock-marked?

No. Round.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555January 16, 2020 3:35 AM

Full details about ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME, for the Spears Carriers among you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556January 16, 2020 4:01 PM

Dear God, that Britney Spears musical sounds like five kinds of hell. Of COURSE it is about a bunch of women who discover they are STRONG! and CAN FORGE THEIR OWN PATH! and, by golly, THEY WILL CLAIM THEIR OWN KINGDOM! Even money says one of the "princess" is a trans. I am so fucking sick of all this "woke" bullshit. I saw the Max Martin jukebox play in London, in which Romeo and Juliet is rewritten to make Juliet a woke woman who DOESN'T NEED A MAN! WHO CAN LIVE HER LIVE FOR HERSELF! It is pandering and god awful and tedious. Is this what we have to look forward to? I am a white male who is not into the drag culture, so I know that I am not their target, but I can still smell a pandering, by the numbers "woke" musical a mile away. God deliver us from this crap.

by Anonymousreply 557January 16, 2020 4:46 PM

At least it's not a bio-musical. If Cher and Donna Summer's bio-musicals didn't last, Britney's doesn't deserve one either.

As is, ONCE UPON A WHATEVS sounds like someone's massive tax write-off.

by Anonymousreply 558January 16, 2020 4:51 PM

A Britney Spears musical strikes me as the nadir of jukebox shows, but who knows what else is on the horizon.

by Anonymousreply 559January 16, 2020 4:53 PM

Anyone planning on seeing the TAKE ME OUT revival?

I liked the original well enough, but I'm not psyched to see it again. They seem to be de-emphasizing the mansexiness of the original. The gratuitious male nudity was pretty much the incentive for going, IMHO.

Anyone know anything about the new production and the eye candy? How's the advance sale?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 560January 16, 2020 5:54 PM

oops, pic is probably NSFW, for you Cubefrauen....

by Anonymousreply 561January 16, 2020 5:55 PM

[quote]I liked the original well enough, but I'm not psyched to see it again. They seem to be de-emphasizing the mansexiness of the original.

How do you know they're going to do that? The show hasn't started performances yet.

by Anonymousreply 562January 16, 2020 5:56 PM

Anyone seen My Name is Lucy Barton? Love Laura Linney and hope she will finally get her long-overdue Tony.

by Anonymousreply 563January 16, 2020 5:58 PM

The only reason Sing Street is transferring is its billionairess producer...Those theater owners love those corporations and those trust fund producers. It will be gone by July 4.

by Anonymousreply 564January 16, 2020 5:58 PM

I saw the original Take Me Out. It was great. I don't want to replace its memory with another version

by Anonymousreply 565January 16, 2020 6:00 PM

I based the "unsexiness" of the revival based on a promo email I had seen.

Here's the trailer video, which.... tries to be sexier. You decide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566January 16, 2020 6:02 PM

I'm sure they'll all do a fine job....

But none of those actors really do it for me.

by Anonymousreply 567January 16, 2020 6:04 PM

It does look like Mitchell Pritchett is in it, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 568January 16, 2020 6:08 PM

Ha, r268! Yes!

by Anonymousreply 569January 16, 2020 8:56 PM

Jesse Tyler is off stage during the shower scenes, does he get to sit front row during the undress rehearsals?

by Anonymousreply 570January 16, 2020 9:09 PM

Okay.... I know it's bad form to review a show in previews, much less based on the first preview performance. I guess I can live with the guilt.

The musicalized version of BOB & CAROL & TED & ALICE (from The New Group at Signature Theatre) is the worst new musical I can recall seeing in a very long time. And I see a good deal of new theatre. Given the prominence of the creative team, it's shockingly bad.

The performers are merely adequate, but I don't fault them. The book and lyrics are atrocious. How did it make it this far?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571January 17, 2020 3:07 AM

I never miss a Mr. Maisel musical.

by Anonymousreply 572January 17, 2020 3:19 AM

He was... fine. Given the low bar, he was the one of the four that irritated me least. (Did I mention the bar was quite low?)

Can we speak frankly? These are 4 performers I never need to spend 2 hours of my life with while they chain smoke in their underwear.

And Suzanne Vega (!) stepping in for Duncan Sheik as the narrator/bandleader/lead player simply had no idea what she was doing. Or perhaps, where she even was.

Absolute hell to sit through.

by Anonymousreply 573January 17, 2020 3:24 AM

^^ Someone thought that making a musical out of a forgotten relic of the Swinging Sixties was a good idea? ^^

by Anonymousreply 574January 17, 2020 3:43 AM

With an actual point of view, BCTA could have been fun. It could have been satiric, or straight camp, or as a knowing examination of gender roles in the throes of the sexual and feminist revolution. Like Sondheim famously said, almost anything can be a musical.

Instead, it was basically the screenplay of the movie performed achingly slowly, minus the laughs, with a few musical moments thrown in. With a lot of herbal cigarettes smoked onstage. And Suzanne Vega.

by Anonymousreply 575January 17, 2020 3:52 AM

Forgettable songs pointlessly stuck into little-changed screenplays is an apt description of so many recent Broadway flops: "Pretty Woman," "Groundhog Day," "Rocky." And those are just the Andy Karl shows.

by Anonymousreply 576January 17, 2020 4:13 AM

Andy Karl in his underwear, smoking or not--that almost might have been worth 2 hours and the price of the ticket.

I'm going to lie down now.

by Anonymousreply 577January 17, 2020 4:26 AM

The creative team for that show is, frankly, pretty darn unskilled.

by Anonymousreply 578January 17, 2020 4:36 AM

Mr. Maisel looks pretty distressed in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 579January 17, 2020 12:47 PM

The gif, r575.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 580January 17, 2020 1:14 PM

[quote]The musicalized version of BOB & CAROL & TED & ALICE (from The New Group at Signature Theatre) is the worst new musical I can recall seeing in a very long time. And I see a good deal of new theatre. Given the prominence of the creative team, it's shockingly bad.

On the one hand, I thought it MIGHT be good because of the songwriters and the book writer. But on the other hand, almost everything that company produces -- The New Group -- is shite, and especially everything directed by their artistic director.

by Anonymousreply 581January 17, 2020 2:23 PM

And thus, another DL Theatre Gossip Thread fades off into the sunset, trailing ooze, glitter, and broken dreams....

by Anonymousreply 582January 17, 2020 2:57 PM

[quote]trailing ooze

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 583January 17, 2020 2:58 PM

In happier news, a season seemingly designed with us in mind, with revivals of

SEESAW!

A CLASS ACT!

NO STRINGS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 584January 17, 2020 3:00 PM

Michelle IS Gittel!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585January 17, 2020 3:01 PM

More...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586January 17, 2020 3:02 PM

[quote]And thus, another DL Theatre Gossip Thread fades off into the sunset, trailing ooze, glitter, and broken dreams....

And the utterly predictable failure of the stated goal of not mentioning "Follies" once in the entire thread.

by Anonymousreply 587January 17, 2020 3:04 PM

Yes. That didn't last long, did it?

We are SO predictable.

by Anonymousreply 588January 17, 2020 3:06 PM

FOLIES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589January 17, 2020 3:27 PM

Bad news for chorus boys, and those who love them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590January 17, 2020 3:28 PM

I see what you did there, R589.

Heh.

by Anonymousreply 591January 17, 2020 3:29 PM

FIRST MIDNIGHT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592January 17, 2020 3:33 PM

C'mon, kids.

I have Thread #376 ready to go.

Let's kill this fucker already.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593January 17, 2020 3:40 PM

Whoop-Up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594January 17, 2020 3:47 PM

Pousse Cafe!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595January 17, 2020 3:49 PM

Oh, fuck it all. It's Friday.

New thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596January 17, 2020 3:51 PM

Happy Friday!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597January 17, 2020 3:53 PM

Bajour

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 598January 17, 2020 3:56 PM

Bajour

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599January 17, 2020 3:57 PM

Bajour....dammit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600January 17, 2020 3:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!