Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Help me with my Los Angeles trip

I will be there the week before the Oscars. What is a good place to see celebs? Rodeo Drive?

I have not been to Venice Beach. Worth seeing or overrated?

Any recommendations for funky little cafes/cocktail bars/good cheap Chinese also welcome.

by Anonymousreply 182February 13, 2020 11:39 PM

All my celeb sightings have been in hotels/restaurants. I’ve seen a celeb every time I’ve been to the Polo Lounge for a weekday lunch and 2/5 times I went for Sunday brunch. I’ve also seen celebs at the Peninsula hotel and the Four Seasons in Doheny. Sat beside Jason Statham at the Tower bar.

I liked Kinney Blvd and the canals in Venice. The beach area is grimy and crowded and overrated.

by Anonymousreply 1January 3, 2020 8:10 PM

If you want to see celebs, go to the Trader Joe's in Toluca Lake or go across the street to The Counter or Sharky's. I've seen Miley Cyrus with Liam, Kathy Griffin, James Marsden, Jean Smart and a ton of other actors.

by Anonymousreply 2January 3, 2020 8:11 PM

Venice Beach has gentrified a lot -- fueled by the growth of tech in that region. Abbot Kinney, in particular, is Hipsterlandia. It still has its scuzzy corners, and the boardwalk still attracts characters. If you're already seeing Hollywood, it's not a must. There are nicer beaches, but it is more entertaining than the Santa Monica pier.

by Anonymousreply 3January 3, 2020 8:21 PM

Toluca Lake looks depressing.

How is Ventura Blvd in Studio City?

by Anonymousreply 4January 3, 2020 8:25 PM

Ventura Blvd is a never-ending strip mall. You got to Beverly Hills, WeHo and Santa Monica. And a day in Malibu. If you make the trip about seeing celebs, you will be disappointed. Completely unpredictable - can go months without seeing one.

Enjoy the beach, the beautiful neighborhoods, a night on SM Blvd in WeHo. I personally hate downtown LA- ugly and depressing. And I wouldn’t bother with the Valley or Venice. Maybe Pasadena for the Huntington.

by Anonymousreply 5January 3, 2020 9:29 PM

If Toluca Lake looks depressing to you, r4, you are in for a rude awakening LOL. There's a steaming bowl of diarrhea waiting for you on Hollywood Blvd and rampant construction everywhere else. The week before the Oscars there will be a travel nightmare trying to get around since they close off Hollywood for security. Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 6January 3, 2020 9:37 PM

As someone from a small rust belt factory town Toluca Lake looks like movie perfect suburban Americana. I don’t get depressing at all. If I had a family and money! I’d love to buy a home in Toluca Lake or Burbank. Every time I drive through it makes me nostalgic for something I never had.

LA has lots to offer though. People who live there can be it’s toughest critics. I was priced out but miss it all the time. I had a fantastic lifestyle with the weather and all the opportunities nearby for living an outdoorsy life.

R5 has given you good advice. My advice would be skip the Hollywood Blvd/Highland area unless you know going in what’s it’s about (a grimier Times Square) and want to squeeze into your itinerary amongst other much cooler things. If I had a dollar for every person who told me they went just. to Hollywood, stayed right there in Loews or one of the nearby hotels and then did a to the Santa Monica Beach and HATED LA.....I’d have my little dream house in the valley. For some reason millions of people from all over the world follow that itinerary and miss everything else in the city. Even the biggies like the observatory, Sunset Strip and LACMA. It’s strange because people don’t go to London, stay in Leicester Square and do the London eye and then say what a crowded, commercial dump. 🤷‍♂️ Even midwestern tourists venture out of Times Square and visit Central Park and the Highline. Maybe if L.A. has better public transport...

by Anonymousreply 7January 3, 2020 10:03 PM

West Hollywood Boulevard, after 11:00 pm.

by Anonymousreply 8January 3, 2020 10:05 PM

Some of you bitches are sheltered.

by Anonymousreply 9January 3, 2020 10:06 PM

I have already been to Hollywood Boulevard and don’t need to see anything there. I would like to see a movie inside Grauman’s but I don’t think anything interesting would be playing.

FWIW I have already been to LA and have already seen quite a bit - Hollywood Blvd, the Getty, LACMA, the Tar Pits, the Natural History Museum, the Norton Simon, the Griffith Observatory, Santa Monica Pier, downtown Pasadena, downtown Santa Monica, downtown LA...

This trip I am less occupied with museums and sites and would just like to catch the vibe and enjoy offbeat sights and local flavor.

by Anonymousreply 10January 3, 2020 10:13 PM

Celebs? Try Gelson's off Franklin, or for younger Hollywood, possibly Runyon Canyon.

by Anonymousreply 11January 3, 2020 10:18 PM

I've been told that it you want to see celebrities. Eat dinner at the Chateau Marmont, or hang out at its bar. I've never tried it, but FYI I've never seen a celebrity at the Grove, on Robertson Blvd. or Rodeo Drive, at the Beverly Center, or at the Beverly Hills Bristol Farms.

But really, if you have ANY interest, I can't recommend LA's art museums highly enough! The awesome Getty, the Norton Simon in Pasadena, and do reserve a whole day for the LA,County Museum of Art complex, with the nearby paleontology museum in the same park. I cant wait until gge Oscars museum opens in the same park! Which ought to be some time in the next century, at this rate...

by Anonymousreply 12January 3, 2020 10:44 PM

There's really nothing to see in Malibu, it's all private property designed to keep the hoi polloi out. There's the pier and a few places where you can get to the beaches, but really, no point going there unless you like coastal drives for their own sake.

I do like Santa Monica, with its shopping district next to the pier and the beach, but it's frightfully touristy. Go if you want th o feel like an unabashed tourist yahoo like everyone around you.

by Anonymousreply 13January 3, 2020 10:48 PM

Coming in 2123... The Academy Museum!

by Anonymousreply 14January 3, 2020 10:49 PM

A friend works at Bristol Farms on Wilshire in Santa Monica and meets or sees celebs on the daily there. As far as places to visit, I live in DTLA and hate it here. Whenever I need to remember why I live in LA, I go to The Getty Villa. So beautiful. Hit Geoffrey's in Malibu after for a late lunch and that's a perfect day. I drive the long way home from there up Wilshire-where you can stop at said Bristol Farms.

by Anonymousreply 15January 3, 2020 10:51 PM

The promenade in Santa Monica is the perfect combination of soaking up the LA vibe and appreciating its stunning beauty. Then can walk to the mall and get a salad. Santa Monica is the best of LA. DTLA is the worst followed by Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 16January 4, 2020 5:13 PM

[quote]I would like to see a movie inside Grauman’s but I don’t think anything interesting would be playing.

Grauman's was renovated a half dozen years ago and now features one of the largest screens (1.90:1 IMAX) in the country.

If you're in L.A. at the end of January/early February, you may be able to see [italic]1917[/italic] there, as it is being released in IMAX on January 24.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 4, 2020 6:29 PM

R17 = Sam Mendes

by Anonymousreply 18January 4, 2020 6:34 PM

I did not find the Third Street Promenade too special, it reminded me of Lincoln Street Mall in Miami. Same chain stores, manufactured vibe, etc. No different from The Grove where I have also been.

Downtown LA despite its grubbiness I at least appreciate because of its authenticity. Other places I liked in LA were Sunset Junction and Highland Park because they also felt very authentic.

by Anonymousreply 19January 4, 2020 6:39 PM

All the great Chinese food is in the San Gabriel Valley but some places have opened on the Westside.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 4, 2020 6:42 PM

I live here and this site gives me good interesting tips all the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 4, 2020 6:45 PM

“What is a good place to see celebs?“

Tanning salons, Botox stations, Beard-for-a-Night set-up agents.

by Anonymousreply 22January 4, 2020 6:46 PM

The ivy on Robertson or matsuhisa on la cienega if you’re into celebrity sightings.

by Anonymousreply 23January 4, 2020 6:53 PM

Yes, I agree about the Getty Villa. Go - it's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 24January 4, 2020 6:55 PM

OP, did you check out Highland Park Bowl? Good pizza, if pricey bowling.

Spire 73, America's tallest open air bar, has stunning views of downtown and nice drinks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 4, 2020 7:15 PM

Erewan in Venice

by Anonymousreply 26January 4, 2020 7:18 PM

Which is superior, Huntington Gardens or Getty Malibu?

by Anonymousreply 27January 5, 2020 12:04 AM

Depends what you like, R27. The Huntington Gardens are vast, and you can spend all day walking through the various theme gardens, eating lunch at one of the restaurants, and looking through the conservatory and art museums. I wouldn't say the art museums are worth the trip in themselves, they don't compare to the great LA Basin art museums listed above. I need to visit again, after they finish expanding the amazing Chinese Garden and put up the Chinese art museum. As of now, it's the gardens that are the big draw, and if you like gardens I also highly recommend the nearly Los Angeles County Arboretum in Arcadia.

The Getty Villa in Malibu is much smaller, it has some wonderful ancient art and the building itself is amazing, but I would be stretched to spend more than a half day there. Still, everyone with any interest in art or architecture should see it at least once.

by Anonymousreply 28January 5, 2020 2:52 AM

Getty is more to look at the view. Even the architecture while dramatic isn’t exactly stunning. Huntington is flowers and gardens,

by Anonymousreply 29January 5, 2020 6:30 AM

Take in a concert at the Hollywood Bowl. Pack a picnic lunch for the full experience. Also, there is a low cost shuttle that has several pickup points throughout the greater LA area.

For Chinese food, Jonathan Gold’s fave was Chengdu Taste in Alhambra. If you want something different but universally palatable, there are also several Islamic Chinese and Uighur places (China Islamic in Rosemead, Omar’s in San Gabriel, Ma’s in Anaheim, Nomad in Long Beach) which offer unique dishes and awesome breads, unique to the region.

If you like Thai, Jitlada is a firm favorite.

by Anonymousreply 30January 5, 2020 7:56 AM

Consider flying in and out of Long Beach or Burbank, much less frustrating than LAX.

by Anonymousreply 31January 5, 2020 8:25 AM

[quote]The ivy on Robertson or matsuhisa on la cienega if you’re into celebrity sightings.

I'll second the Ivy, but it's been decades since I was interning right across the street from it. However, it has always been a hot spot for celebs, especially during the day.

At night, I suggest taking a slow drive down Sunset Boulevard around the Laugh Factory.

by Anonymousreply 32January 5, 2020 9:32 AM

No I am already booked in and out of LAX. The FlyAway bus was no hassle the last time I took it.

by Anonymousreply 33January 5, 2020 6:08 PM

The Musso and Frank Grill, 6667 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 5, 2020 7:08 PM

I agree, to see celebs hit up restaurants like Polo Lounge, Michaels or Ivy (either one), and head out to Malibu and have lunch there, shop a bit, to see celebs. Try going for a walk on Broad Beach, lots of celebs live there and are often found walking their dogs.

You can also get yourself put on a 5150 and taken to UCLA and admitted to their psych ward. You will no doubt run into - if not celebs - definitely at least a few of their mentally ill/drug addicted offspring (you will see their parents during visiting hours).

Venice Beach itself is awful. Avoid. I dislike the entire area. Go have lunch/drinks at Casa del Mar, you may see a celeb or 2 there.

by Anonymousreply 35January 5, 2020 9:29 PM

Musso and Frank's is only good for the ambiance and cocktails but AVOID the food. It is not good, it is bland and flavorless. But, honestly, IF you go there, valet or pay for a parking structure. It is very difficult to find parking around that area any more and sometimes you can only do it for an hour. If you try to put more coin in the meter for an extra hour, they might still ticket you so read the signs. Honestly, avoid Hollywood altogether.

by Anonymousreply 36January 5, 2020 10:07 PM

Watch TMZ and listen to the restaurants they are always in front of. Celebs know the paps will be and go to be seen.

by Anonymousreply 37January 5, 2020 10:11 PM

Only expensive cars are allowed to crash into this eatery

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 5, 2020 10:14 PM

I actually like Venice more than Santa Monica. The boardwalk sucks, but apart from that, it's just so much more colorful and interesting than bland SM.

Other suggestions are the Self Realization Gardens (near Getty Villa), Hollywood Forever Cemetery, Greystone Mansion in BH, Little Tokyo and/or Koreatown. The Arboretum is terrific as well.

by Anonymousreply 39January 5, 2020 10:27 PM

Pacific Palisades

by Anonymousreply 40January 5, 2020 10:37 PM

Thank you R40 your post is so, so helpful.

by Anonymousreply 41January 5, 2020 11:13 PM

It is not like it is a big place R41.

by Anonymousreply 42January 6, 2020 12:01 AM

Is it worth going out to Glendora for The Donut Man?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 6, 2020 4:36 PM

R43, Glendora is a bit of a jaunt. Donut man is good. He does seasonal varieties -- so his strawberry and peach donuts are available in the summer only, I think. It could be worth it if you combine it with a trip up to the San Gabriel mountains.

Speaking of mountains, a trip to the Mt. Wilson Observatory is pretty neat. On certain days, they have guides and lectures, and you can see the telescopes. On a clear day, great views of the city. You'd have to drive up the windy 2 Highway though, and cell service cuts out in the mountains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 6, 2020 6:43 PM

What is a good place to buy edibles?

by Anonymousreply 45January 7, 2020 5:27 PM

I think Donut Man opened a space in Grand Central Market in DTLA or is opening one. DTLA is a shithole but GCM, The Last Bookstore, and The Broad are all worth visiting.

by Anonymousreply 46January 7, 2020 6:27 PM

Is there anything worth seeing in Atwater Village? I am staying in Los Feliz.

by Anonymousreply 47January 7, 2020 6:56 PM

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 7, 2020 11:45 PM

Thanks but I am from Florida, we already have those.

Can anyone recommend a googie diner, I wanted to go to the one from "Mulholland Drive" but it's out in Gardena.

by Anonymousreply 49January 9, 2020 5:12 PM

Joe E. Tata likes to day drink at the State Social House on Sunset.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 9, 2020 6:12 PM

By himself.

by Anonymousreply 51January 9, 2020 6:12 PM

A few years ago we literally walked the red carpet the day before the Oscars and, of course, there wasn't a celebrity to be seen.

by Anonymousreply 52January 9, 2020 6:15 PM

[quote] I am staying in Los Feliz.

You'll be near Griffith Park. The Observatory and wisdom tree are worth checking out. A certain couple of moonlight hikes give you great night city views.

[quote] s there anything worth seeing in Atwater Village?

The gorgeous LA River.

by Anonymousreply 53January 9, 2020 6:38 PM

Another vote for Toluca Lake. Why? The majority of the studios literally surround it. Not a day goes by when I do NOT see a celebrity around town.

by Anonymousreply 54January 9, 2020 6:47 PM

Can I piggy back here? Going to LA later this year for a concert and staying near the venue, The Wiltern -- where would you go for lunch if you wanted the LA experience? Classic diner? Dive bar? Chinatown? Fancy restaurant? There for two nights/three days but the second day is already booked with touristy stuff. TIA!

by Anonymousreply 55January 9, 2020 6:54 PM

There is absolutely nothing of interest about Atwater Village, but if you are headed that direction - Forest Lawn Memorial Park is a MUST SEE. So many celebrities are buried there and the buildings and grounds are amazing (they usually have a large portion of the giant main castle roped off, but everyone pretty much wanders where they feel like - as long as you are not obvious about it). You could spend the entire afternoon and still not see everything notable and it is free of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 9, 2020 7:03 PM

I have already been to Hollywood Forever, so I don't think I need to see another cemetery.

Has anyone been to the Bob's Big Boy near Warner Brothers? Worth the trip?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 9, 2020 7:22 PM

Forest Lawn Glendale is a far, far more impressive place than the Hollywood Forever. Bob's is worth a visit. The food is nothing to speak of, but the Friday night car show is a must if you have any interest in vintage/exotic cars.

by Anonymousreply 58January 9, 2020 7:37 PM

I think Atwater is kinda cute-I had an amazing Croque monsieur at Bon Vivant Cafe and Market there. It could be a charming little village if there were any damned trees! Nice little records store, bookstore, and some thrift stores if that's your thing. I saw DL superstar Jazz Jennings at Home Restaurant in Los Feliz a few weeks ago(and also saw Seth Rogan there-not a fan and he was very loud). There's a cute Italian place called The Sit Down and a fun bookstore/art gallery called Wacko across the street on Hollywood. I love Los Feliz but be warned there are TONS of homeless encampments popping up there. I live in DTLA and see it all the time but I was surprised how many were in Los Feliz...I suppose homeless people like it, too. It really is a cute hood.

by Anonymousreply 59January 9, 2020 8:55 PM

[quote]Going to LA later this year for a concert and staying near the venue, The Wiltern -- where would you go for lunch if you wanted the LA experience?

That's easy. The original El Cholo on Western, only a few minutes south of The Wiltern.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 10, 2020 4:09 AM

Studio City is a good place to spot celebs doing everyday things, especially at Whole Foods and Bed, Bath and Beyond. I used to work at that B,B&B and the weekends were prime celeb traffic times.

by Anonymousreply 61January 10, 2020 4:40 AM

How is the Museum of Jurassic Technology?

by Anonymousreply 62January 10, 2020 7:15 PM

You have to have an odd, subtle, sense of humor to enjoy the Museum of Jurassic Technology. I went years ago, and enjoyed it, but a lot of people might think it's a wasted afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 63January 10, 2020 9:28 PM

It’s not for everybody, but the tar pits can be intriguing.

by Anonymousreply 64January 10, 2020 10:59 PM

I like the tar pits, I like the paleontology museum next to it, and I LOVE the Los Angeles County Museum of Art in the same park! And if I'm in LA by myself, I like going down the street a mile to eat at the Farmer's Market.

It's a whole day's worth of fun, for someone who likes art and science, and who's going to be eating dinner alone.

by Anonymousreply 65January 10, 2020 11:29 PM

Already done that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 10, 2020 11:30 PM

[quote]Take in a concert at the Hollywood Bowl. Pack a picnic lunch for the full experience. Also, there is a low cost shuttle that has several pickup points throughout the greater LA area.

The Hollywood Bowl won't be open during the time OP is there.

by Anonymousreply 67January 11, 2020 1:11 AM

If you mean casually seeing celebrities on the town, you'll want to sync your out and about schedule with theirs. TV stars work afternoon late into the night. They're not out getting coffee or marketing until the afternoon. Movies are rarely filmed in LA, so I wouldn't count on seeing many randomly, unless you drive up to Malibu. in the afternoon and go grocery shopping at Pavilions, Vintage, or even the Malibu Ralphs. Get a guest day pass at exclusive gyms, not 24 Hour or Equinox.

Lunch at extraordinarily expensive restaurants can be good scouting grounds. Chauteau Marmont, Polo Lounge, The Palm.

by Anonymousreply 68January 11, 2020 1:24 AM

There are many homeless in Venice on the streets,

by Anonymousreply 69January 11, 2020 1:28 AM

Where do thecD listers hang out? I think it would be more interesting to run into the washed up celebs for some reason. Like maybe they would be more appreciative of being recognized. The big stars are all boring now anyway.

by Anonymousreply 70January 12, 2020 12:52 AM

Pump and the Abbey, next door to Pump, on Robertson. They're the sad ones who are desperate for somebody to recognize them and offer to buy them a drink.

by Anonymousreply 71January 12, 2020 3:08 AM

OP, maybe you'll see Angelyne in her little pink corvette. She might even give you a lift in her car, but you'd probably have to buy groceries for her..

by Anonymousreply 72January 12, 2020 3:14 AM

Is this Tristan?

by Anonymousreply 73January 12, 2020 3:46 AM

Craigs or Madeo for celeb dinner sightings, but reserve now. Walk Beverly Hills at lunch.

by Anonymousreply 74January 12, 2020 4:05 AM

Is there anything worth seeing in Westwood Village/

by Anonymousreply 75January 14, 2020 4:55 PM

Westwood Village looked like a very attractive place to have lunch and stroll around, but I couldn't find a place to park so I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 76January 14, 2020 5:15 PM

Westwood is so late 80's early 90's. Half the storefronts are empty. Once the drive-by shootings and gang activity picked up there, people fled. Now they congregate at the Grove or LA Live downtown.

by Anonymousreply 77January 15, 2020 1:53 AM

Is it worth going to Roscoe's or are there better places for chicken and waffles?

by Anonymousreply 78January 15, 2020 8:14 PM

The Broad is fun if you like easily accessible pop art.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79January 15, 2020 8:26 PM

I have already ordered my ticket for the Broad.

How is Norm's near the Beverly Center? It looks like a great vintage googie.

by Anonymousreply 80January 17, 2020 7:33 PM

I don't know most of the "celebrities" featured on TMZ but the bus tour might be a good way to see parts of the city and spot a few celebs in their natural habitat. It would help me if I had someone to point out famous people to me. I almost never recognize them, it's like I go face blind and it's someone I should recognize. They're usually much smaller in person than I would expect.

by Anonymousreply 81January 17, 2020 8:22 PM

Try to get tickets to a TV taping (Tonight Show, Ellen, etc.). A sure fire way to see a celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 82January 17, 2020 8:37 PM

I am not going to a fucking Ellen taping, I am there the week before the Oscars, I just want to see them walking around.

by Anonymousreply 83January 17, 2020 8:41 PM

Duh! Hire an escort from Corbin Fisher.

No trip to California is complete without having sex with a whore.

by Anonymousreply 84January 17, 2020 8:43 PM

She only needs to hang in Weho for that. ^

by Anonymousreply 85January 17, 2020 8:46 PM

Have dinner at Craig's or Catch. You will see celebrities there.

The rest of you clearly visited LA once back in '95 judging by your lame advice.

by Anonymousreply 86January 17, 2020 8:51 PM

If you want to see celebrities go to a tv show taping.

by Anonymousreply 87January 17, 2020 8:57 PM

It's true about Craig's. Joan Collins dines there regularly. If Joan still counts as a celebrity. But the paps shoot her waddling out all the time.

by Anonymousreply 88January 17, 2020 9:02 PM

There is a wonderful establishment in Silver Lake called The Slammer

by Anonymousreply 89January 17, 2020 9:13 PM

I frequently see celebrities at Amoeba Music and the ArcLight theater in Hollywood. Go in the evening.

The recently revamped Century City mall can also be good for celebrity sighting but it’s such a nightmare dealing with parking and crowds it’s not really worth the hassle. I’ve seen many celebs at the Grove/Farmers Market over the years and it’s a much more pleasant experience.

I saw Patricia Arquette at the West Hollywood Target last year. Also Harriet Samson Harris. I was much more excited to see HSH!

by Anonymousreply 90January 17, 2020 10:16 PM

R55, if you’re looking for Young Dong you’re in luck! You’ll find it just steps away from the Wiltern on Wilshire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91January 17, 2020 10:25 PM

You can usually see someone at the Original Farmers Market on 3rd & Fairfax, if you get there early enough and hang out at 326 bar. Have dinner at Dan Tanas, I've seen several people there. Have drinks at the Sunset Marquis or if you must, The Chateau Marmont. Some sightings in Santa Monica near the Promenade, but usually off streets near it.

by Anonymousreply 92January 17, 2020 10:48 PM

[quote] Also Harriet Samson Harris. I was much more excited to see HSH!

So excited that you couldn't get her name right!

by Anonymousreply 93January 18, 2020 12:00 AM

[quote]Have dinner at Dan Tanas, I've seen several people there.

I saw Jim Nabors at Dan Tana's.

In 1975.

by Anonymousreply 94January 18, 2020 12:01 AM

Is there any chance they'll be filming a Battle of the Network Stars?

by Anonymousreply 95January 18, 2020 12:09 AM

Is there anything worth seeing at the Beverly Center?

by Anonymousreply 96January 22, 2020 7:36 PM

What about the bars from “Barfly”? Are any of them left? Where would Barbara Payton have hung out?

by Anonymousreply 97January 22, 2020 9:13 PM

LA is like New Orleans to me.

Mostly really worn down, and ALWAYS smelling like piss and/or shit.

by Anonymousreply 98January 22, 2020 10:35 PM

Is the Abbey still a thing? Worth checking out or overrun by white women?

by Anonymousreply 99January 22, 2020 10:50 PM

Isn’t this trip over yet?

by Anonymousreply 100January 22, 2020 10:57 PM

What about the Don's Bar from Nightmare on Elm Street 2? I remembered reading that scene was shot in a real bar in LA but cannot find where I read it again. Google has failed me. Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 101January 23, 2020 1:42 PM

OMG Donut Man is opening in Grand Central Market! It says February but doesn’t give a day. I hope I catch them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102January 24, 2020 10:04 AM

Is there a decent independent theatre scene like in London? Any recommendations?

by Anonymousreply 103January 24, 2020 7:01 PM

The post about checking yourself into a psychiatric hospital to spot a celebrity made me lol.It wouldn't surprise me if someone has already been there,done that.

by Anonymousreply 104January 27, 2020 5:56 AM

Are you going for work, OP? I've never really understood why Americans would decide to vacation to other places in America. We're such a boring country, even our most exciting and unique attractions are dull.

by Anonymousreply 105January 27, 2020 7:43 AM

I always take visiting friends and family on my "Hollywood Death Tour" - visiting sites of famous deaths and murders - John Belushi, Marilyn Monroe, Janis Joplin & Divine (same hotel), The Menendez Bros murder, the Manson murders, Dennis Wilson, Nicole Brown Simpson & Ron Goldman, Michael Jackson, Bugsy Siegal, River Phoenix, Freddy Prinze, and others. I even have a brochure printed up for it. You really get to see all of LA. It's really quite the tour (now offered by Grey Line Tours, I might add, well after I established mine).

I guess I have a new spot to add.

by Anonymousreply 106January 27, 2020 8:26 AM

[R106] I live near DC and have thought about doing a spy tour and showing the parks where drops were made, restaurants where the spooks would meet up etc. All the suburbs look so monotonous though. I’d love to go on your tour!

by Anonymousreply 107January 27, 2020 12:53 PM

[quote]why Americans would decide to vacation to other places in America

Because it's a gigantic fucking country? Arizona/Nevada/Utah looks nothing like the east coast and most of the big cities feel completely different from each other. If you're the type that only goes to Starbucks and Olive Garden I can see your point though.

by Anonymousreply 108January 27, 2020 1:41 PM

Don't take any helicopter flights....

by Anonymousreply 109January 27, 2020 3:07 PM

You guys suck. I searched for "hiking" and only one result came up. Searched for "outdoors" and only one result came up. Searched for "nature" and the only mention of it was in relation to the Natural History Museum. Someone up above called you sheltered and I'd agree. What have you been talking about for the last 100+ replies? West Hollywood? Places to shop and fuck?

Go outside while you're here, OP. Southern California is surrounded by mountains, and some of those mountains can be found in Los Angeles! The Santa Monica Mountains are incredible what with Griffith Park, Topanga Canyon, and Malibu Creek State Park... among others. They stretch all the way out to Oxnard. GO WALK IN NATURE!

Also, if you want even more nature than the Santa Monica Mountains, you've got the entire San Gabriel National Forest to the northeast, as well as the San Bernardino National Forest and parts of the Cleveland National Forest to see if you're feeling adventurous.

There are better, more peaceful parts of the coast than Venice or the Santa Monica Pier if water's what you want, but if you're looking for that energy and hustle bustle, then those'll do fine.

Also, see museums. There are TONS and some are free. I suggest the Norton Simon or the Hammer. The Broad and MOCA are also free. There's tons of free parking around the city if you know where to find it and how to read signs. I suggest the SpotAngels app if you'll be driving yourself. If you're just Ubering everywhere ignore this.

If you don't get distracted by the bullshit, LA's fun!

by Anonymousreply 110January 27, 2020 3:23 PM

Always up for a hike and tacos in El-Lay!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111January 27, 2020 3:31 PM

By all means go to Grauman's - last time I was there, John Wayne's block was loose.

by Anonymousreply 112January 27, 2020 3:47 PM

I really wanted to see a movie at Graumann’s but it looks like they’re closing after Wednesday because of Hollywood Boulevard red carpet preparations.

Who else has a good IMAX theater, Universal City? I was hoping to see 1917.

by Anonymousreply 113January 27, 2020 3:51 PM

[quote]You guys suck. I searched for "hiking" and only one result came up. Searched for "outdoors" and only one result came up. Searched for "nature" and the only mention of it was in relation to the Natural History Museum. Someone up above called you sheltered and I'd agree.

Maybe because the OP asked [italics]specifically[/italics] for places to see celebrities, cafes & bars, and whether Venice Beach was "worth it". Subsequent inquiries were made about specific neighborhoods, locations, or "local flavor". If anyone had inquired about hiking trails, sports activities or nature walks, I'm sure there would have been plenty of responses.

Get over yourself.

by Anonymousreply 114January 27, 2020 3:56 PM

Short of the website itself, Runyon Canyon probably has more Youtube and young Hollywood celebrities gathered all in one place than any other spot in the world..

by Anonymousreply 115January 27, 2020 11:00 PM

I tried to go hiking in Runyon Canyon once, and found there was no parking available. Apparently you have to live in the area to use it, or walk a few miles from the nearest legal parking for that extra degree of fitness.

Franklin Reservoir has lots of trails, AND parking.

by Anonymousreply 116January 27, 2020 11:12 PM

[quote]I tried to go hiking in Runyon Canyon once, and found there was no parking available. Apparently you have to live in the area to use it, or walk a few miles from the nearest legal parking for that extra degree of fitness.

Hahaha, okay, this is just wrong. The trailhead for Runyon Canyon is at the end of Fuller Street, which you can freely park along for at least a mile... maybe more. I don't know because I got bored scrolling through Google Street View. You can plop the orange guy down on the map yourself and drive up and down Fuller and you'll see that for the most part there's only one sign which says you can't park there for a certain amount of hours on Tuesday for street sweeping.

I'm serious when I say there's free parking all over Los Angeles. You just have to know where to look and which signs to read. Also, there are [bold]way[/bold] better hikes in Los Angeles than Runyon Canyon that provide more striking views not just of Los Angeles, but from the Pacific out to Palm Springs, and they're barely frequented compared to the selfie trap that is Runyon Canyon, but people aren't curious about these things so they don't know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117January 28, 2020 4:55 AM

Runyon Canyon is only several blocks from the Hollywood and Highland Metro station and its easily accessible for Uber or Lyft... are people really that selfish that they can’t fathom not driving their own car there?

by Anonymousreply 118January 28, 2020 10:35 AM

You're asking if humans are selfish? Anyway, you're right about its proximity to Hollywood and Highland. Keep in mind though that not everyone's getting to Runyon Canyon by train or Uber. I live about an hour out of the city, and public transport fucking sucks from that distance. More efficient to selfishly drive myself.

by Anonymousreply 119January 28, 2020 3:50 PM

If you're driving an hour to go to Runyon...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120January 28, 2020 4:02 PM

Since the Oscars are on 2/9, I assume you'll be here next week. Unseasonably warm weather is forecast for the early part of your stay (83 this Saturday, if you'll be here that early), so be prepared. Rest of the week we're back to the typical 60s. No rain, at least per current estimates.

by Anonymousreply 121January 28, 2020 4:31 PM

R120 I don't drive an hour to go to Runyon. It takes me about an hour to get to Los Angeles in general. I did Runyon once a couple years ago and that was enough for me. There are so many more worthwhile things to do in the city.

by Anonymousreply 122January 28, 2020 7:37 PM

I think I'm the poster who originally mentioned Runyon Canyon (because OP wanted to see celebrities), but I agree with R122, that there are much more interesting places to go -- including other hiking.

by Anonymousreply 123January 28, 2020 10:09 PM

Santa Monica Pier/Beach is scary as FUCK. I went there after not being there for many years, and I'm not one to talk/think about shit like this, but it had a very palpable DARK energy. Lots of homeless people, which is fine, doesn't bother me, but people were just super weird energy. It's the only time when I went to a beach-like area and felt that very strong, evil energy.

by Anonymousreply 124January 28, 2020 10:38 PM

R122 - Runyan kind of sucks but I did have Charli XCX hiking behind me with a friend and I eavesdropped on her entire conversation.

by Anonymousreply 125January 28, 2020 10:39 PM

You should always rent a car in Los Angeles...I rented one for super cheap from this place in Santa Monica and I only paid $136 for 4 days and I drove everywhere. Gas is expensive as fuck though, but I only had to refill once. Los Angeles speed limits are 35 mph on most roads so I was not intimidated to drive.

by Anonymousreply 126January 28, 2020 10:41 PM

R125...anything good?

I do Runyon now and again because it's centrally located and easy to get in and out of, but either I go at bad times or I don't pay attention (most likely) because I never notice anybody.

by Anonymousreply 127January 28, 2020 10:42 PM

R116 - you can find parking to get to Runyan, but it can take awhile.

by Anonymousreply 128January 28, 2020 10:42 PM

If you don't need to be somewhere immediately before or after, save yourself the trouble and Uber or Lyft.

by Anonymousreply 129January 28, 2020 10:47 PM

If you're renting a car, beware of driving huge sections of damn Santa Monica Bl. and Melrose Avenue -- streets which always seem to have ginormous, gaping potholes, the size of which rival those found in La Paz.

by Anonymousreply 130January 28, 2020 10:55 PM

I'm the dude who said there were more worthwhile things to do than hike Runyon. I should clarify that I don't think Runyon sucks. It's just one small section of the Santa Monica Mountains. Its reputation and the people who perpetuate it suck. They've decided that this is the place for them to take their shirtless Yoga selfies and bump their bluetooth speakers. I assume this is because it's easy to get to the trailhead and near the heart of Hollywood. And ultimately that's fine. Live your life, and honestly it's better that the masses remain there instead of spreading to more remote trails of the mountains.

by Anonymousreply 131January 28, 2020 10:56 PM

[quote]Santa Monica Pier/Beach is scary as FUCK. I went there after not being there for many years, and I'm not one to talk/think about shit like this, but it had a very palpable DARK energy.

The first time I picked up on this was walking along Venice Beach where the vendors set up. My buddy and I got there shortly before sunset it was just another day along the coast, but as the sun went down, that dark energy you're talking about started rising. It was subtle at first... vendors closing up shop... the crowd thinning, but then not thinning completely, and you hear lighter clicks, and bikes dart by in the dark, and your suspicions start to rise. It was super eerie, and it was like my buddy and I, and some of the people around us, knew it was time to head out.

I've felt a similar energy near the Santa Monica Pier, but honestly it wasn't as unsettling as Venice. Yeah, it definitely gets sketchy at night, but for the most part you've got the lights of the ferris wheel and downtown illuminating the night, so it's not as intimidating as Venice, which lacks that light.

by Anonymousreply 132January 28, 2020 11:00 PM

R132 - this is so true. When I am in Malibu, I feel very free and clear. When I am in Santa Monica near the beach, I feel like a dark force is trying to influence/get inside me. Will Rogers State Park beach has the "cleanest" energy but it also feels a bit "dull" and drains me ever so slightly.

by Anonymousreply 133January 28, 2020 11:06 PM

I will not be renting a car, I will just use Metro when I can and Uber if that’s more convenient.

I will be there tomorrow! Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

by Anonymousreply 134January 29, 2020 12:35 AM

I live in LA. My friend occasionally goes to Craig's Restaurant and she always sees celebrities there. She met famous tennis star Roger Federer a couple years ago. I just looked at the Yelp reviews. Many people mention seeing celebs there--Justin Bieber was mentioned. It's on Melrose in West Hollywood--which is pretty far from Hollywood, sort of Beverly Hills adjacent. If Dan Tana's is still there (can't remember), it's in that same general area and also attracts a lot of celebs.

I always recommend people go to the Getty Center up off the 405 freeway north of Westwood/Santa Monica. The views can be spectacular (and of course there's the great art--especially the various photography exhibits) and the wonderful garden which changes with the seasons. Parking is expensive, but you can take an Uber there and there is a dropoff. There is also an LA bus that goes there. I think it's much more interesting than the Getty Villa, and the Villa needs an advanced reservation. The Getty Villa is a beautiful place, a reconstructed Etruscan villa I think, but the art is all just antiquities (which I find pretty boring personally) There is a beautiful view of the Pacific. You can go from there to Pacific Palisades, which has a new outdoor mall with new restaurants and you might see celebs there since a lot of them live in the Palisades. Have a good time.

by Anonymousreply 135January 29, 2020 1:05 AM

Hi bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136January 31, 2020 7:07 PM

[quote] What is a good place to see celebs?

That's so funny

by Anonymousreply 137January 31, 2020 7:16 PM

Follow Alison Martino (daughter of singer Al "Johnny Fontaine" Martino) on IG. She posts all the LA hot spots, and seems to "run into" a different celebrity every day.

by Anonymousreply 138January 31, 2020 7:19 PM

Admittedly, I haven't read this thread post to post. I have lived in LA for over 20 years and the LA area my whole life. Here's what you do: Getty. LACMA (I love art and museums). Avoid the Hollywood sign. It's silly and not worth the time. That said, walk Runyon. I do it all the time. It's stunning.

by Anonymousreply 139February 1, 2020 12:37 AM

Alison Martino is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 140February 1, 2020 12:45 AM

Don’t let me catch you at Perino’s. That’s MY place!

by Anonymousreply 141February 1, 2020 1:28 AM

What is the allure to seeing a celebrity?

by Anonymousreply 142February 1, 2020 2:12 AM

r139 Los Angelino myself. I would also say for a tourist first time go see the walk of fame, TCL theater (where the handprints are) and the Kodak where they do the Oscars. Just once. Last time I had out of town guests I took them there - they were preparing for the Mummy premiere and doing the Pirates of The Carribean (not sure what one) - we stuck around and saw Depp and all the rest. Luckily I work in entertainment PR so I got them in a few shows they wanted to see that are impossible to get without two years waiting ( have no idea why cough Ellen cough). That took one day and then we could do the good stuff (pretty much your list lol..).

by Anonymousreply 143February 1, 2020 2:20 AM

[quote]Los Angelino myself. I would also say for a tourist first time go see the walk of fame, TCL theater (where the handprints are) and the Kodak where they do the Oscars. Just once.

Must have been a while ago. It's the DOLBY Theater, not the Kodak.

by Anonymousreply 144February 1, 2020 3:38 AM

DO NOT GO TO LACMA! Whole sections of it are shut down for renovation. There are only two buildings open, and the second floor of one of those buildings is closed. It's not worth the price of admission at all, and there are other museums, even free ones, that are more worthy of your time.

[quote]Avoid the Hollywood sign. It's silly and not worth the time. That said, walk Runyon. I do it all the time. It's stunning.

That's hilarious. OP, there the trails in Griffith park are better than Runyon, and provide way better views from the Pacific to the Observatory, to Downtown, out to Palm Springs. It's definitely worth the time to explore the park. I recommend Glendale Peak trail, which gives you all the views I talked about. I've hiked to the Hollywood sign before and it was way less crowded than Runyon was. The influencer presence was less obvious. I mean, Runyon's cool... do whatever you want. I assume you won't do any of this anyway lol.

by Anonymousreply 145February 1, 2020 3:40 AM

Is Dan Tana’s worth a stop?

by Anonymousreply 146February 1, 2020 7:47 PM

How is your trip so far, OP?

If you were in Boys Town last night, we might have briefly crossed paths. 😂

by Anonymousreply 147February 2, 2020 5:57 AM

R146 ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148February 2, 2020 6:01 AM

I am doing very well as far as my inventory of sites to visit. I have been to Graumans, the MOCA, the Broad, the Hammer, and the Getty already.

One sight that was not mentioned here that I was happy I went to was the OUE Skyspace in the US Bank Tower. It was not crowded and because it is clear, I had fantastic views from the mountains to the ocean.

Visiting Los Angeles is always a mixed bag for me though because of the volume of human suffering you see - it really is something like out an apocalyptic movie.

by Anonymousreply 149February 2, 2020 6:19 AM

Dan Tana's is amazing, R146. I live about a block away. My best friend is from NYC and he is a snob about Italian food. I took him there and now it's where we go whenever he's back in LA.

by Anonymousreply 150February 2, 2020 6:24 AM

[quote] One sight that was not mentioned here that I was happy I went to was the OUE Skyspace in the US Bank Tower. It was not crowded and because it is clear, I had fantastic views from the mountains to the ocean.

Did you ride the slide?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151February 2, 2020 4:36 PM

r149 I hope you're enjoying the weather, OP. It's so warm today that I have all my windows open.

by Anonymousreply 152February 2, 2020 5:49 PM

What is a good WeHo bar to watch the Stupid Bowl in?

by Anonymousreply 153February 2, 2020 9:51 PM

[quote] Joe E. Tata likes to day drink at the State Social House on Sunset.

Not that you would particularly want to go there unless you were a 90210 groupie but the Apple Pan is the inspiration for the Peach Pit on that show.

I don't think you sound like you want to do the nature thing but a book came out recently called Wild L.A. - and there's another one called Day Hiking In Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 154February 2, 2020 10:07 PM

No I do not want to fucking go to the inspiration for the Peach Pit.

Seriously Micky’s, Hi Top, Rocco’s, Abbey? Someone recommend one.

by Anonymousreply 155February 2, 2020 10:21 PM

You're an irritable, picky and demanding fellow for someone who's asking for advice, aren't you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 156February 2, 2020 10:28 PM

R153 Gym

by Anonymousreply 157February 2, 2020 10:34 PM

R155 Apple Pan has great burgers and pie but if you're one of those posh queens then please forgive me for my working class existence.

by Anonymousreply 158February 3, 2020 12:37 AM

Oh and please go take a hike. Literally.

by Anonymousreply 159February 3, 2020 12:39 AM

r144 - sorry I forget all the name changes - DC pavillion, Kodak, Dolby etc.. all I know is best place to park to do the Hwl Blvd walk.

by Anonymousreply 160February 3, 2020 12:45 AM

I went to the Apple Pan a couple weeks ago for the first time and loved it! Pretty delicious burgers... fresh crisp lettuce. Cool experience. CASH ONLY!

by Anonymousreply 161February 3, 2020 1:14 AM

Great idea for the Apple Pan. It's an institution. On Pico in West LA. My husband (who also grew up in LA) go there when we want to splurge. It feels like you're in a 40s noir film.

by Anonymousreply 162February 3, 2020 6:39 AM

Splurge? Is it expensive?

by Anonymousreply 163February 3, 2020 6:41 AM

I looked at the menu. It's quite reasonable. Especially for LA

by Anonymousreply 164February 3, 2020 10:16 PM

Calorie splurge, duh.

by Anonymousreply 165February 3, 2020 10:22 PM

R163, we try to eat healthy. When we want a burger, fries and a shake, that's where we go. Splurging for eating, not financially. Sorry if I wasn't more specific.

by Anonymousreply 166February 3, 2020 11:22 PM

Get into The Zone at night.

by Anonymousreply 167February 4, 2020 1:20 AM

Is the Zone still a thing?

I thought the kids these days looked down on those types of places. Or is it the 'older' crowd?

by Anonymousreply 168February 4, 2020 11:44 AM

OP, are you serious!?!?

JFC. 😂!

by Anonymousreply 169February 4, 2020 11:56 AM

[quote] OP, are you serious!?!?

No, I’m at food court at Charlotte. I left LA last night. My trip is over, you stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 170February 4, 2020 1:28 PM

R110, read what you wrote as your opening salvo, and call me a stupid cunt again, without any irony, or laughter.

I’m betting you will.

by Anonymousreply 171February 4, 2020 1:48 PM

Oops! Meant that for R17O not R110.

Apologies.

by Anonymousreply 172February 4, 2020 1:51 PM

LOL. Stupid cunt fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 173February 4, 2020 1:59 PM

I thought you said you were coming to LA the week before the Oscars -- which is THIS week.

by Anonymousreply 174February 4, 2020 2:09 PM

LOL, stupid cunt is ok with making mistakes, whether in LA, or a food court in Charlotte, inhaling undoubtedly fine Chinese cuisine, and suddenly realizing that I didn’t have to go to LA to see stars, because if I looked up at the evening sky I could see the stars that really matter, for free!

by Anonymousreply 175February 4, 2020 2:20 PM

A drink at the Culver Hotel bar. It’s very old time Hollywood and beautiful. It’s where the actors playing the Munchkins in The Wizard Of Oz stayed.

by Anonymousreply 176February 6, 2020 8:49 AM

I always work out when there and have seen the most celebs at the gym.

by Anonymousreply 177February 6, 2020 8:59 AM

but the burgers suck

by Anonymousreply 178February 7, 2020 2:53 AM

LA has great burgers. I live here. It's one of the few things everybody says about LA food. Since you're back home there's no use telling you where to go.

by Anonymousreply 179February 7, 2020 5:00 AM

I'm planning a trip to LA soon, R179. Tell me!

by Anonymousreply 180February 7, 2020 12:11 PM

r180:

These should all still be open since it's from 6 months ago or so:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181February 8, 2020 12:19 AM

For the record, In-n-Out is not what it's hyped up to be.

But I'm sure there is an entire thread devoted to THAT.

by Anonymousreply 182February 13, 2020 11:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!