Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Air travel attire

I was raised to dress nicely for air travel. I wear nice jeans or slacks, a button down shirt, and nice shoes. How some of you animals dress is atrocious. It’s about not only respect for other passengers, but self respect.

by Anonymousreply 140January 4, 2020 5:48 PM

No one under 89 says slacks.

by Anonymousreply 1January 2, 2020 10:40 PM

[quote] I was raised to dress nicely for air travel.

Just how old ARE you?

by Anonymousreply 2January 2, 2020 10:42 PM

This is elderspeak. Like wearing a hat in the 50s.

by Anonymousreply 3January 2, 2020 10:44 PM

I am always appalled with people who wear flip-flops on an airplane—especially going into the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 4January 2, 2020 10:51 PM

I just took a flight yesterday, and op would have needed her vapors and fainting couch.

There was this scary looking dude wearing gym shorts, a tank top (in 40 degree weather), and tatoos covering his arm, his face, and his shaven head!!!!

It was quite a sight.

by Anonymousreply 5January 2, 2020 10:54 PM

Jeans, no matter how “nice,” are not considered upscale casual.

by Anonymousreply 6January 2, 2020 10:54 PM

Dapper OP in full finery...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 2, 2020 10:57 PM

We always wear our best tank tops for international flights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 2, 2020 10:57 PM

I usually try to wear a blazer, but I also consider jeans fine. I don't really like to wear shorts on an airplane, I think it's a little tacky, and I would NEVER wear a tanktop. I remember the priest in the church where we went when I was a kid delivering a sermon about how he always wore a tie and jacket when he was flying because more than once it got him bumped into first class. Odd topic for the homily.

by Anonymousreply 9January 2, 2020 10:58 PM

Just look at those two trashy whores at R8!

Like a pair of garbage bags.

by Anonymousreply 10January 2, 2020 11:00 PM

This was one of Joan Rivers's obsessions. She thought everyone on airplanes should dress like JFK and Jackie arriving at Love Field.

by Anonymousreply 11January 2, 2020 11:00 PM

I always have a sweater or light jacket because I always find planes friggin' cold. Also, it's easiest to wear some sort of slip-on shoe going through security, so any casual lace-up shoe doesn't work.

by Anonymousreply 12January 2, 2020 11:01 PM

with people being packed in like sardines and it usually being super warm during the flight, the last thing I'd want to do is wear layers. I wear a t shirt and jeans and sneakers on a flight.

by Anonymousreply 13January 2, 2020 11:02 PM

Are you from the US, OP?

I’ve noticed people in The States tend to make “dressing down” an art form: shorts, tanks, tattoos, flip flops, obesity......

I’m a millennial, and I appreciate your post. I find it possible to dress respectfully and be comfortable. An added benefit is that respect is reflected: going through the airport, TSA, agents and others seem more open and easy and, yes, I get plenty of upgrades on flights.

Works well for me.

by Anonymousreply 14January 2, 2020 11:04 PM

"nice jeans"

Smell you, OP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 2, 2020 11:10 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 2, 2020 11:11 PM

I like looking presentable most of the time, but also I dress fairly well on flights because those clothes would take up too much space in my bag.

by Anonymousreply 17January 2, 2020 11:17 PM

Dressing well definitely helps with upgrades. The airlines want first and business class to look upscale. You also need to have appropriate carry ones. If you have a small roller and a laptop bag in good condition, you’re Ok. IOW, are you able to walk though the airport looking human, or do you look like you just got kicked out of your apartment after a 5 minute warning to grab your stuff?

Out of courtesy to the other passengers, you should be clean and shod. Other than that, all bets are off. Air travel is about on par with taking a public bus, so I feel absolutely no obligation to dress any better than I would on a public bus. I don’t take the bus, though, so moot point.

Parents who allow their teenage daughters to travel in short shorts and tank tops are complete idiots. They could end up shoulder to shoulder and thigh to thigh with some creep.

by Anonymousreply 18January 2, 2020 11:17 PM

r14 (and OP) need to be viciously slapped.

by Anonymousreply 19January 2, 2020 11:26 PM

OP must experience many nightmares at 20,000 feet. So do I. So do I.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 2, 2020 11:28 PM

This is what most passengers look like today.

Schlubs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 2, 2020 11:31 PM

My first flight was on a Chicago/Philadelphia/Chicago round trip with my grandmother on a TWA Constellation Super G. Suit, bow tie, polished black shoes, and short brimmed Frank Sinatra hat were all in order back in 1957. Since then, I've tried to keep up standards. Since most of my subsequent travel was business oriented, I usually wore a suit and tie. You do get better service, and the air crew is deferential. One time, tho, going out to Washington State, I wore shorts and it turned out to be great, The flight had three across seating, and a drugged out girl had the window seat, and I had the aisle seat. At the last minute, a really hot guy, also in shorts, claimed the middle seat. He was nice, and we smiled at each other and made small talk. Then, a short little grandpa and grandma farmer type took the two seats in front of us, and immediately jammed their seatbacks down into both of our legs. All of the way to Seattle our hairy legs were rubbing against each other, and when we eventually got to Seattle, he sported a big wet stain on the front of his shorts. We tried to start talking again at the baggage claim, but his wife whisked him off before we could exchange numbers.

by Anonymousreply 22January 2, 2020 11:31 PM

Somebody fell asleep on their flight.

by Anonymousreply 23January 2, 2020 11:35 PM

[quote] All of the way to Seattle our hairy legs were rubbing against each other, and when we eventually got to Seattle, he sported a big wet stain on the front of his shorts.

I call bullshit.

But that's quite a "NIFTY" story.

by Anonymousreply 24January 2, 2020 11:35 PM

Downscale casual. I wear gray or brown jeans and a shirt with a collar. I don't have blue jeans.

by Anonymousreply 25January 2, 2020 11:37 PM

Italian linen suit in summer. Austrian boiled wool and English shoes, winter. Upgraded sometimes. Use a German title - they love that shit - Herr Professor Doktor....

by Anonymousreply 26January 2, 2020 11:46 PM

People who talk about upgrading just makes me think, why do you still go in person to check in for a flight?

I alwayscheck in online, even if you have a bag you can drop it off curbside. Go directly to security when you go in. Interacting at the airline's desk is pretty unnecessary these days.

by Anonymousreply 27January 2, 2020 11:51 PM

Air travel is a nightmare...

There really is no more distinction between passenger airlines and cargo airlines.

To them, we're ALL cargo.

"Cram 'em in, ship 'em out, and unload 'em." That's the airlines' motto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 2, 2020 11:53 PM

I dress casually for travel because it is more honest. This attitude that dressing a certain way reflects respect is outdated bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 29January 3, 2020 12:05 AM

Leggings, nothing else underneath. For good air circulation.

Flip flops to show off my pedi.

Tube top for breast comfort and no wires to make TSA suspicious.

Doughnut pillow around my neck for extra comfort.

by Anonymousreply 30January 3, 2020 12:09 AM

FlipFlops should be fine on Cattle Car Airlines out of Abattoir International.

by Anonymousreply 31January 3, 2020 12:17 AM

I always assumed everyone on DL changed into a caftan once the flight started.

by Anonymousreply 32January 3, 2020 12:24 AM

I dress with crashes and fires in mind—cotton rather than synthetic fabrics, comfy yet sturdy jeans in case I need to vault over seat backs, good running shoes (which remain on my feet throughout the flight).

by Anonymousreply 33January 3, 2020 12:26 AM

[bold] [italic] DLCAS (Datalounge Class Anxiety Syndrome) Strikes Again!!! [/bold] [/italic]

Hint: men wearing suits don't look "classy", they just look uncomfortable.

Or, on a shorter flight, people assume they are salarymen who are going straight from the airport to a meeting.

by Anonymousreply 34January 3, 2020 12:31 AM

I have never worn a suit on a flight, unless I had to go to a work-related meeting immediately after landing.

I try not to be a slob on airplanes (mainly so that the flight attendants won't think I'm a mangy pig and will continue filling my wine glass), but I have been known to wear sweats on long haul international flights. Comfort is a priority.

by Anonymousreply 35January 3, 2020 12:43 AM

It took Miss Swanson 3 hours to choose her emotional support animal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 3, 2020 1:18 AM

I don't believe anyone has received any upgrades on flights in the past 10-15 years based on how they dressed. There are far too many people with 'status' levels on the flights who take up those seats.

Total bullshit. But I digress - a decent shirt and jeans isn't bad. It's actually young and middle aged men who I've seen look the worst.

by Anonymousreply 37January 3, 2020 1:41 AM

I just flew United, and nobody in first class was dressed in accordance with OP's standards.

by Anonymousreply 38January 3, 2020 1:53 AM

If this matters to you, OP. you're not trash, but you're nuts.

by Anonymousreply 39January 3, 2020 1:58 AM

I non rev, so dark jeans, button up shirt, comfortable non wrinkle sport coat, soft loafers.

by Anonymousreply 40January 3, 2020 2:19 AM

you non rev?

by Anonymousreply 41January 3, 2020 2:22 AM

[quote]All of the way to Seattle our hairy legs were rubbing against each other, and when we eventually got to Seattle, he sported a big wet stain on the front of his shorts.

Whenever this happens I just ask the flight attendant for a blanket. Then I jack them off under the blanket. It would be good if they were wearing sweats for easy access.

by Anonymousreply 42January 3, 2020 3:58 AM

I always see teenage girls wearing pajama bottoms and oversized sweatshirts, carrying their bed pillows on early morning flights. Who would let their daughters out of the house to fly across the country looking like this?

by Anonymousreply 43January 3, 2020 4:46 AM

[quote] I always see teenage girls wearing pajama bottoms and oversized sweatshirts, carrying their bed pillows on early morning flights

These people annoy me to no end!

They're basically turning a public space into their bedroom, and it's so ... undignified.

If anything, these flights are no more than four hours at MOST, so fucking buck up, put on some decent clothes, and leave the pillow and blanket in your fucking bedroom.

ASSHOLES!

by Anonymousreply 44January 3, 2020 11:43 AM

What are jeans? Do you mean dungarees?

How gauche. I suppose a nice fedora is quite out of the question for you, isn't it? I won't even ask about a suit jacket.

Tsk.

by Anonymousreply 45January 3, 2020 11:52 AM

Since I mostly fly long-haul (10+ hours), my airline attire is functional comfort. Sweats, long-sleeved t-shirt, hoodie, socks, and slip-on canvas or leather shoes. A 15+ hour non-stop plane flight will turn even the most fastidious dresser into a fuck the lotta yas, I wanna be comfortable shlub.

by Anonymousreply 46January 3, 2020 12:20 PM

I tried explaining that my corsage was a companion animal but the airline said it was a deadly allergen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 3, 2020 12:24 PM

Pajamas mostly. Sometimes I upgrade to sweats or track pants. Sitting in a cramped seat next to a 300lb person is hell enough. To do it in uncomfortable clothes? I'd rather watch 3 Amigos with a headset.

by Anonymousreply 48January 3, 2020 1:48 PM

Where do you people buy your clothes that only pajamas and sweats are comfortable? Is this a weight thing? There is nothing uncomfortable about formal wear, suits, or casual wear. Either you are not buying clothes properly, you are freakishly shaped or an oh so tender to the touch snowflake.

by Anonymousreply 49January 3, 2020 1:55 PM

I wouldn’t be seen on the subway in my blue jeans!

by Anonymousreply 50January 3, 2020 2:10 PM

R49 plays two sets of tennis in a tuxedo.

by Anonymousreply 51January 3, 2020 2:11 PM

I posted above about looking better increasing the chances of an upgrade. I only fly 1-3 times a year, so I never get upgraded when I am alone. so I could be completely delusional. But I’m convinced, clothes are an issue. Once (this was 20 years ago) they actually asked me if I could change out of shorts at check in (was going to Caribbean in May and they were neat, tailored shorts). Which I was thrilled to do. The other times were at the gate (only 2x) and the reason I think it’s an issue is because I was not at the kiosk, my traveling companion was, and the gate agent looked over to identify me and size me up. that asked “Where is so and so?” And then looked over.

You aren’t going to get snatched out of a coach seat like Cinderella, but if you are eligible for an upgrade, but other people probably are too, I think it helps.

You can wear pretty comfortable clothes and still look OK. Decent shoes, haircut, carry-on luggage + jeans and button down is not equivalent to hiking backpack, shopping bag, flip-flops + jeans and t-shirt.

by Anonymousreply 52January 3, 2020 2:14 PM

R52 was known in the 1980s as co-author of The Official Prissy Sissy Handbook.

by Anonymousreply 53January 3, 2020 2:19 PM

Malo cashmere sweats and hoodie, flipflops in the terminal, closed slippers with thin silk socks in cabin. They already turned flying into shit, so it's luxe comfort all the way now.

by Anonymousreply 54January 3, 2020 2:20 PM

Hostess pants.

by Anonymousreply 55January 3, 2020 2:30 PM

[quote] you non rev?

R41, he means he works for the airline and flies for free (non-revenue passenger), also known as dead-heading.

Some airlines require their non-revs to dress a little more appropriately because, in theory anyway, they’re representing the airline. I don’t quite get that since who would know, but whatever. Also, if there’s a Business Class or First Class seat available they’ll get that, so they have to be prepared.

by Anonymousreply 56January 3, 2020 3:01 PM

If all the shirts I wear to fly are Polo or BB oxford cloth, and all my pants are either khakis or cords (different manufacturers, no pleats), am I "upscale casual"? I almost never tuck in my shirt.

by Anonymousreply 57January 3, 2020 3:05 PM

R57, if you don’t tuck in your shirt you’re a slob.

by Anonymousreply 58January 3, 2020 3:10 PM

r58 Then slob I am, and slob I shall stay. It's just an airbus.

by Anonymousreply 59January 3, 2020 3:12 PM

And like it or not, cuntesse, none of these airbuses is going to take you back to 1957, to which all of you oh, so obviously wish you could return.

by Anonymousreply 60January 3, 2020 3:15 PM

I love the cuntiness on this thread 😊

by Anonymousreply 61January 3, 2020 3:19 PM

Baggy linen designer trews. Loose cotton shirts. Cotton sweater around the shoulders. Fanny pack, tasteful.

by Anonymousreply 62January 3, 2020 3:24 PM

I can't believe people would take airline travel so seriously.

You have nothing else about which to worry than airline attire...???

Why should people dress better to ride in an airplane? What purpose is served? To satisfy your antiquated philosophy of what others should do...???

Is airline travel some "great gift"...???

by Anonymousreply 63January 3, 2020 3:28 PM

Generational divide r63. A lot of DLers are older and remember the days when plane travel was considered glamorous and people dressed up.

However, those days are long gone.

by Anonymousreply 64January 3, 2020 3:44 PM

R63 - oh honey let me tell you! And yes, airline travel was “some great gift” growing up in the 70s. It was glamorous and exotic! You picked out your best outfit and arrived early to the terminal to watch the planes land and takeoff. You ogled the hot pilot who filled out his uniform so well. It was an event.

by Anonymousreply 65January 3, 2020 4:09 PM

R65 now air travel is cattle cars in the sky.

No sensible man is going to wear a suit.

by Anonymousreply 66January 3, 2020 4:16 PM

R11 Most of us dress like JFK and Jackie departing Love Field.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67January 3, 2020 4:36 PM

A little black dress will do,no?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 3, 2020 4:38 PM

R67, death becomes you.

by Anonymousreply 69January 3, 2020 4:43 PM

The Ladies Club diction in this thread sends me: "attire," "slacks." "formal wear." Love it. Just love it.

by Anonymousreply 70January 3, 2020 4:51 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 3, 2020 5:16 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 3, 2020 5:17 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 3, 2020 5:19 PM

I've just gotten my trilby from the haberdasher, and I'm taking a cab to Idlewild.

by Anonymousreply 74January 3, 2020 7:56 PM

R51 No one would play two sets of tennis in a tuxedo. A tuxedo is evening wear. He would play the tennis in a morning coat.

by Anonymousreply 75January 3, 2020 9:12 PM

You were obviously raised right OP.

by Anonymousreply 76January 3, 2020 9:13 PM

The better dressed you are, the better you behave. And the better other people behave towards you.

by Anonymousreply 77January 3, 2020 9:15 PM

If you look like a lowlife people will treat you like a lowlife.

by Anonymousreply 78January 3, 2020 9:16 PM

Ooooh, Aunt Consuelo is reading us all to filth!!!! "If you look like a lowlife...."

by Anonymousreply 79January 3, 2020 9:28 PM

Does anyone else change in the bathroom when changing climates?

I started doing this shortly after I started flying from New England in the frozen winter; to Puerto Rico, Aruba, Antigua, Mexico, or wherever. I just can’t stand waiting in line in jeans or other winter clothes when I’m in the tropics. I never felt funny about this when I was a young fella, but maybe now I need to just suck it up. It doesn’t seem like a lot of others do so.

OP, I dress smart casual; and tourist shorts. I’m not a slob, would never wear sweats or pajamas.

by Anonymousreply 80January 3, 2020 9:40 PM

I dress for comfort (long flights). I don't spill into the seat next to me. I'm cordial but not talkative. Riding a plane is like riding a bus, as mentioned above. My feet tend to get puffy during long flights, so I wear comfortable footwear.

Sometimes, I do fly "non-rev" (non-revenue, using someone else's airline employee benefits). On those occasions, I follow the airline's written dress code policies for non-revenue passengers (not overly strict). IIRC, the dress code only applies to business / first class. But better to be prepared for a possible upgrade.

The plane could crash and there could be a crazy person on the plane. Better to be comfortable and able to handle those situations.

by Anonymousreply 81January 3, 2020 9:51 PM

R76 the OP was raised right 97 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 82January 3, 2020 9:57 PM

Let's not pick on OP. People dressed much more formally for air travel in his day because the whole experience, including the food service, was a lot more elegant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83January 3, 2020 10:13 PM

Slacks is the term that people who were raised in decent homes use. Only trash say "pants" or "trousers".

by Anonymousreply 84January 3, 2020 10:14 PM

There is an entire movie based on this exact subject, called "View From the Top."

It stars GOOP, Candice Bergen, Christina Applegate, Mike Myers, and Mark Ruffalo.

It's hilarious, and basically covers everything in this thread.

For those who like to fly, it's a must-see movie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 3, 2020 10:30 PM

Here's the trailer for "View From the Top."

I love this movie so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 3, 2020 10:33 PM

Let's reflect on the words of "Lucious Lucius," social lion Lucius Beebe, who in his many writings pointed out the proper way to live. Beebe had two private railroad cars, the earlier of which is now in a railroad museum, but the later one, The Virginia City, decorated by a noted Hollywood stage designer, still available for private rentals. Beebe long had an aversion to air travel, and during his tenure as a travel writer, many airlines made overtures to get him aboard an aircraft. TWA (Trans World Airlines, now defunct) made the best effort. They wined and dined Lucius, gave him the best cognacs and cigars, and finally escorted him down to a first class seat in a transcontinental flight. He sat back, belted in, sighed, and suddenly ripped off the seat belt, and ran down the aisle screaming, "Let me off this hell bound cylinder of death!" Need anything futher be said?

by Anonymousreply 87January 3, 2020 10:37 PM

[quote] Slacks is the term that people who were raised in decent homes use. Only trash say "pants" or "trousers".

Mother told me that when I went to work at Penneys and I've found it to be very true!!!

by Anonymousreply 88January 3, 2020 10:49 PM

[quote] Fanny pack, tasteful.

I'll take oxymorons for $400, please Alex

by Anonymousreply 89January 3, 2020 10:52 PM

Y’all are right, this thread IS hilarious. I failed resisting the urge to add my own opinion but I agree with OP so much and have a long history of air travel myself.

My mom had NO money when I was a kid, but I did have one suit as a little boy that I would always wear when flying off to visit my Dad. Flying was about looking as sharp as everyone else on the plane.

Now it’s about looking like you couldn’t give two shits about anyone around you. Flip flops, tank tops, butt floss hiked above your hips and low-rise homemade Daisy Dukes. WTF?!?

I work in the industry now so I see all of it. And yes, as a non-rev passenger I’ve had to meet a dress code for the CHANCE of a first class seat, only to sit next to bimbos who can’t even spray a little deodorant on their pussies

Yes, it’s a cattle car at times, but know what the difference is between us and cattle? We have a choice. Of you don’t like it, go elsewhere or pay to upgrade. Air travel remains one of the FEW “commodities” whose price from the 70s has actually DROPPED when accounted for inflation.

Imagine what excellent comfort these assholes could enjoy if they spent $200 dollars more on a seat upgrade than their shitty FCUK sweatpants with cum stains and the knees already worn out.

by Anonymousreply 90January 3, 2020 11:00 PM

LOL at OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91January 3, 2020 11:01 PM

Air travel is horror show. You have to stand in a security line and get treated like a prisoner by TSA and then be jammed into smaller and smaller seats with no amentities.

Its not glamorous, no one is going to treat it as if it were.

by Anonymousreply 92January 3, 2020 11:04 PM

R89 fanny packs are indeed useful when flying. Mine are lovely and handcrafted.

by Anonymousreply 93January 3, 2020 11:10 PM

R89 fanny packs are indeed useful when flying. Mine are lovely and handcrafted.

by Anonymousreply 94January 3, 2020 11:10 PM

[quote]$200 dollars more on a seat upgrade

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 95January 3, 2020 11:33 PM

R93 - please post a pic of your “handcrafted fanny pack.” I’m oh so curious.

by Anonymousreply 96January 3, 2020 11:35 PM

R85, that’s a great cast, IMO. I’ll watch it!

by Anonymousreply 97January 3, 2020 11:42 PM

R96 how does one post a pic?

by Anonymousreply 98January 4, 2020 12:31 AM

So you make your own fanny packs R94? Like from scratch?

Wow.

If someone ever asks "What is the Maiden Aunt Brigade?" or "What is a Mincing Prisspot?" we can point them to this thread.

OTOH, it's another reason I am fascinated by DL. It's like traveling through a time warp to the early 80s or something. Like the time period when "The Americans" was set.

by Anonymousreply 99January 4, 2020 12:37 AM

“Handmade Fanny Pack” is the best new euphemism for a transexua’s bottom surgery

by Anonymousreply 100January 4, 2020 12:50 AM

R99 I didn't make it myself but it's handcrafted.

by Anonymousreply 101January 4, 2020 12:55 AM

[quote] Air travel remains one of the FEW “commodities” whose price from the 70s has actually DROPPED when accounted for inflation.

That's complete horseshit and I'm tired of hearing this misinformation being floated around.

by Anonymousreply 102January 4, 2020 12:55 AM

[quote] R98: how does one post a pic?

Take a picture and post it on imgur.com. Sometimes, for a commercial picture, I take a screen shot, then crop it, so that I have a picture. After doing so, on imgur, click “share”, then “copy link”. Then come back here and paste the link in the lowest box on this page, when you are making a post, that says above the box, “Web Site Link”. It’s below the signature box.

Pictured is a squirrel presenting hole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 4, 2020 1:02 AM

R103 that's a lot of work. Did you take the pic of the hole yourself?

by Anonymousreply 104January 4, 2020 1:09 AM

I sit in first class in shorts and a T-shirt. Sometimes I bring a sweater. I fly to be comfortable. I don’t need a tux or a suit. I need enough money to buy the seat. If that makes me trash so be it. Steward I’d like another Prosecco please

by Anonymousreply 105January 4, 2020 1:16 AM

R104, the camera is Is a go-pro that is motion activated. No work for me.

As for the work of posting, you might develop a following on imgur! You can make your photos private or public there, FYI. It is work, but it’s not like churning butter, or typing out the instructions for you. Haha. I kid, because I care.

by Anonymousreply 106January 4, 2020 2:22 AM

Comfortable things: lightweight t-shirt with sweater in case I get cold, sweatpants, sneakers. The entire experience is already unpleasant enough, and I could not care less what my fellow passengers think of my sartorial choices. I am always clean and reasonably groomed out of consideration for the randos I’ll be cheek to jowl with, though. The idea of dressing up to fly really does seem completely outdated!

by Anonymousreply 107January 4, 2020 3:00 AM

I was so disappointed that Pan Am when bust and we never got to see stewardesses who wore bulbous hats and could walk upside down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108January 4, 2020 3:01 AM

^^went bust^^

by Anonymousreply 109January 4, 2020 3:03 AM

Some reveal that they can’t be “dressed (up)” and comfortable simultaneously.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 110January 4, 2020 3:11 AM

Tell us what you consider an example of both “dressed up” and “comfortable” clothing for air travel r110

Preferably with pictures.

by Anonymousreply 111January 4, 2020 3:21 AM

Once we were forced to be herded like cattle, interrogated like felons (the ridiculous security checks), discarded like trash when we have any questions and generally beat up when we choose to have the audacity to fly to a destination - well, we started to dress accordingly. Obvious - duh. I am 6'1" and 185 lbs.; the fact that I get sadistically packed into my seat like a sardine (designed for a 100 lb. child who has no lumbar curve) is enough of a reason to dress any fucking way that I want to (usually in sweats or basketball shorts unless I have no time to change for work-related reasons).

by Anonymousreply 112January 4, 2020 3:31 AM

I don't put on a 3 piece suit when I fly, but I do wear business casual attire. A nice pair of khaki slacks, a long sleeve white dress shirt and a sport coat. But first and foremost I make sure I wear the most comfortable shoes I can find. With all the walking involved in getting in and out of an airport no one should suffer with uncomfortable footwear.

by Anonymousreply 113January 4, 2020 10:33 AM

[quote]A nice pair of khaki slacks

Why is it the only people who wear "slacks" are people who dress up to go on an airplane?

by Anonymousreply 114January 4, 2020 11:23 AM

I don't know how old you are R114, but maybe it's because we're from older generations than you. I'm 66 years old. "Slacks" is the term I grew up with.

by Anonymousreply 115January 4, 2020 11:49 AM

Well, I'm a little older than you, r115. I just say "pants."

by Anonymousreply 116January 4, 2020 11:54 AM

R116 You realize, don't you, that one day somebody younger will sneer at you for using the word "pants" or something similar. Youth isn't an achievement, and it's a finite state for all of us.

by Anonymousreply 117January 4, 2020 11:56 AM

For long haul flights, I have typically changed into scrub bottom pants. When trying to sleep on a plane, jeans can get a little hot and sweaty. However, I'm easier to spot during medical emergancies, which is a downside.

I usually only fly enough to get low level status, so typically, I'll board during the elite boarding process, then slip into the planes bathroom and change into scrub pants and then site back down in my coach seat. Then depending on how clean the bathroom remains, I'll change back into jeans just before breakfast. If it's an an earlier departure, I'll change into scrub pants after the dinner service.

Now that I'm slightly older, I'm able to flight business class sometimes on long haul. I need to learn the points game.

by Anonymousreply 118January 4, 2020 12:11 PM

Most early travelers were business travelers and business attire was different rent then. People were dressing for work not flying. I used to travel regularly to Asia—the idea 5hat anyone should wear a suit on a long flight to Hong Kong or Tokyo is hilarious in its impracticality. OP appears to have been in a coma for about 50 years. If the press pot wants to dress up, fine, but don’t expect it from the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 119January 4, 2020 2:14 PM

[quote] OP appears to have been in a coma for about 50 years

Welcome to Datalounge R119.

Where the years 1993 to 2019 apparently never happened.

by Anonymousreply 120January 4, 2020 2:40 PM

My sister flew somewhere for an airline interview. She dressed casual, and they sent her home to dress up for the flight. Funny, huh? I’m she she wasn’t initially dressed as a slob, but they wanted her dressed smartly.

by Anonymousreply 121January 4, 2020 2:49 PM

Thanks, R118.

[quote] R112: I am 6'1" and 185 lbs

“You are an oversized gorilla who has no business flying coach”

I know that because we are the same size and I was told so on DataLounge. Isn’t that funny? But it’s not funny that American Airlines’ seats are not fit for tall people. I couldn’t sleep on an overnight flight from NYC to London because of the lack of the damn leg room.

by Anonymousreply 122January 4, 2020 2:56 PM

[quote]I am 6'1" and 185 lbs. [and] dress any fucking way that I want to (usually in sweats or basketball shorts...

Mmmmm. I hope you’re on my plane, R112! I’ll be gawking and bulge spotting. I LOVE guys who dress like this.

by Anonymousreply 123January 4, 2020 3:50 PM

[quote] Youth isn't an achievement, and it's a finite state for all of us.

Wow. Such a devastating statement put so succinctly. I miss my youth.

by Anonymousreply 124January 4, 2020 3:52 PM

“slacks” lol

by Anonymousreply 125January 4, 2020 4:17 PM

It sounds like a lot of you just fly to your Aunt Ida's in some godforsaken backwater so you might as well wear sweats or pajamas anyhow. If you're just going to sit around eating mashed potatoes and going through photo albums with the old girl. She won't mind. You don't even need to shower or comb your hair.

For those of us who end up in a meeting, checking into a nice hotel or seeing our well heeled friends upon deplaning, we tend to smarten up our appearance a bit more. Because we care about how we appear to the world

by Anonymousreply 126January 4, 2020 4:51 PM

And take the sodas out of the cardboard container!

by Anonymousreply 127January 4, 2020 4:53 PM

I hate seeing the cameltoes and guys in sandals.

by Anonymousreply 128January 4, 2020 5:03 PM

In that case, R126, you appear to the world as a smug, condescending, self-satisfied pince-nez.

by Anonymousreply 129January 4, 2020 5:10 PM

Only to the unwashed, ungroomed, uneducated and unremarkable.

by Anonymousreply 130January 4, 2020 5:15 PM

Answered with yet more smug condescension...

by Anonymousreply 131January 4, 2020 5:26 PM

Just be grateful you're not one of his "well-heeled friends," R131.

by Anonymousreply 132January 4, 2020 5:28 PM

[quote] seeing our well heeled friends upon deplaning

The 1970s are completely owning this thread. I bet those well-heeled friends include some real hunks and foxes living in a groovy pad with lots of mirrored shit and macrame.

by Anonymousreply 133January 4, 2020 5:30 PM

If you don't think you are worth the trouble, why should others.

by Anonymousreply 134January 4, 2020 5:30 PM

[quote] For those of us who end up in a meeting, checking into a nice hotel or seeing our well heeled friends upon deplaning, we tend to smarten up our appearance a bit more. Because we care about how we appear to the world

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 135January 4, 2020 5:31 PM

[quote] If you don't think you are worth the trouble, why should others.

100% this is straight from an argument that R134 had with his significant other.

by Anonymousreply 136January 4, 2020 5:32 PM

Ignore-dar reveals OP is the same poster who posted a thread earlier this week out of the blue claiming he is rich and white (white people automatically identify their race for no reason in anonymous forums, of course) and likes to steal things.

Somehow I think he is neither rich nor white... although I do believe he likes to steal things.

by Anonymousreply 137January 4, 2020 5:38 PM

The OP is a black lesbo from Lip Stick Alley

by Anonymousreply 138January 4, 2020 5:43 PM

That explains a lot R137

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 139January 4, 2020 5:43 PM

R43 These are the same pigs who wear pj bottoms to the grocery store. Only difference is at the store they walk around sucking on a massive Starbucks covered in whip cream and sprinkles. Disgusting creatures.

by Anonymousreply 140January 4, 2020 5:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!