Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tchaikovsky

Gay Russian composer. Nutcracker, Swan Lake, 1812 Overture, Capriccio Italien, Eugene Onegin, etc.

What's a good biography of him that deals forthrightly with his homosexual relationships?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 6, 2020 4:11 PM

(I like how you think you have to explain to us who Tchaikovsky is, OP...)

I haven't read it yet, but "Tchaikovsky - The Quest for the Inner Man" by Alexander Poznansky seems to be considered the best biography.

by Anonymousreply 1January 2, 2020 9:06 PM

Why did you think you need to explain to us who Tchaikovsky is? Anyone who is familiar enough with him to recommend a good biography probably knows that he's the composer of "The Nutcracker", "Swan Lake", et al.

by Anonymousreply 2January 2, 2020 9:09 PM

I wasn't trying to explain, just advertise his greatest hits.

by Anonymousreply 3January 2, 2020 9:22 PM

You can hear his voice in this fascinating audio clip (he's the one talking at 0:29, 0:43 and 1:00). He sounds totally different from the way I always imagined.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 3, 2020 12:53 AM

Here you go, OP. Just watch the movie.

It is everything you wanted. And more!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 3, 2020 1:09 AM

I don't know what the current thinking is but for years the rumor went around that he was threatened with being outed and told to do the "honorable thing." So he committed suicide by deliberately drinking disease contaminated water.

Eldergay who hasn't kept up here. Is this theory still seriously considered?

by Anonymousreply 6January 3, 2020 6:20 AM

He was so handsome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 3, 2020 6:26 AM

With a "Y" at the end of his name instead of an "I," would he likely have been cut or uncut?

by Anonymousreply 8January 3, 2020 6:29 AM

R4, wow, Russian gayvoice!

by Anonymousreply 9January 3, 2020 6:32 AM

R6 here. I'll answer myself. Here is an excerpt from his current Wikipedia article:

[quote]While Tchaikovsky's death has traditionally been attributed to cholera from drinking unboiled water at a local restaurant,[114] there has been much speculation that his death was suicide.[115] In the New Grove Dictionary of Music, Roland John Wiley wrote that "The polemics over [Tchaikovsky's] death have reached an impasse ... Rumors attached to the famous die hard ... As for illness, problems of evidence offer little hope of satisfactory resolution: the state of diagnosis; the confusion of witnesses; disregard of long-term effects of smoking and alcohol. We do not know how Tchaikovsky died. We may never find out ...".[116]

by Anonymousreply 10January 3, 2020 6:34 AM

r3, you left out Symphonies #4, #5, and (especially) #6 (at the end of which he is alleged to have drunk the poison that killed him).

by Anonymousreply 11January 3, 2020 6:35 AM

I love Tchaikovsky’s work, though I’ll have to admit that it’s also because he was gay.

R6, R10: the forced suicide theory has been heavily criticized by Alexander Poznansky and generally has the air of a tabloid conspiracy theory. Suicide theories have existed for longer (Klaus Mann has his version of Tchaikovsky kill himself, in his 1935 biography) but are also flawed.

R8: the Y is just translation convention. Most other Russians whom I can think of also have a -sky ending in English translation and not -ski.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 6, 2020 12:09 PM

Who is Tiecowski - some Emo trap gutter rat?

by Anonymousreply 13January 6, 2020 1:09 PM

Пётр Ильи́ч Чайко́вский

That's his name. Anyone arguing here about the merits of a particular transliteration is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 14January 6, 2020 1:13 PM

Cannily, Ken Russell cast a closeted gay actor as Tchaikovsky. Chamberlain does romp in bed with the delectable Chistopher Gable to indicate the composer was "hommosectual."

by Anonymousreply 15January 6, 2020 1:41 PM

The 2007 documentary/drama Tchaikovsky didn't shy away from showing his homo relationships.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 6, 2020 1:52 PM

Agreed r7 he was hot.

by Anonymousreply 17January 6, 2020 2:58 PM

R5 That film scarred me for life. Seeing Glenda Jackson's hairy ginger pussy when I was 12 was too extra.

by Anonymousreply 18January 6, 2020 3:00 PM

Translating names from non-latin scripts is so annoying because they look different in each language; depending on where you're from you may either know him as: Tschaikowski, Chaikovski, Ceaikovski, Čajkovski, Csajkovszkij, Tjajkovskij, Tšaikovski, Tsjajkovski, Čaikovskis, Czajkowski, Çaykovski...

by Anonymousreply 19January 6, 2020 3:01 PM

There was rumor that Tchaikovsky was having a affair with a closeted Romanov Grand Duke and that he was eliminated conveniently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 6, 2020 3:10 PM

Piotr Ilitch Tchaïkovski - when in doubt, defer to French spelling, comme il faut.

by Anonymousreply 21January 6, 2020 4:01 PM

R21 Tchaikovsky was actually fluent in Froggy and he always signed his French letters as: "Pierre Tschaïkowsky".

by Anonymousreply 22January 6, 2020 4:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!