Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wizard of Oz fans, did Dorothy have bows on her red ruby slippers??

DL, I am having a Mary! moment. I have watched Wizard of Oz religiously for years, and I just noticed that her ruby slippers have BOWS?! WHAT?? I do NOT remember this!! I thought that the Mandela Effect was a BS until this!

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2020 5:31 AM

They've always had bows, you're just stupid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 2, 2020 6:07 PM

In the book, her shoes were silver not ruby

by Anonymousreply 2January 2, 2020 6:25 PM

Hi OP! This is a great post and I’m really fascinated by the subject and I’m so glad that you decided to post about it! It’s always so great to talk about this. It’s such a good topic that I think it’s already been covered. If I’m correct, it’s been covered several times. As a matter of fact OP I’m pretty GODDAMN SURE IT’S BEEN COVERED SEVERAL FUCKING TIMES!!!

I’m sure you’re probably new here OP and that’s okay. You’re always welcome here and I’m so glad that you want to participate and bring up such interesting subjects. What most of the posters do is to do a search first before we make a new post that way we don’t HAVE A BUNCH OF GODDAMN MOTHER FUCKING COCK SUCKING DUPLICATE THREADS!!! It’s fucking rude as hell when people like you come on here without doing a search first and just post!! It’s selfish and self-centered for people to come on here and post without doing a fucking search first!! Who the hell do you think you are!!!

OP I really enjoy this post a lot too and I love that you brought the subject up. What’s really neat is when someone has the consideration to do a search and add their new comments to the previous thread and then we can see the evolvement of the subject over time. BUT YOU COULDN’T FUCKING BE BOTHERED TO DO THAT MOTHER FUCKER!! YOU ONLY CARED ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR WANTS AND YOUR NEEDS!! YOU DIDN’T EVEN TAKE ONE MINUTE TO THINK ABOUT OTHERS!! I HATE YOU OP! I HATE YOU AND ALL YOUR FAMILY!! IF I EVERY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE, I WILL BURN YOUR GODDAMN HOUSE DOWN WITH YOU IN IT!!!

Do a search first mother fucker before you post! Is that going to kill you? Is it? Is it? I hate you.

by Anonymousreply 3January 2, 2020 6:26 PM

I never understood why Dorothy carries that basket throughout the entire movie or its purpose. Was it to carry Toto who is seen either walking or being cradled in arms? We never see Dorothy take anything out of it AFAIK. So why add an unnecessary prop?

by Anonymousreply 4January 2, 2020 6:37 PM

Okay, I tried to visualize the ruby slippers when I read the questions, and I thought they had little flat unobtrusive bows. I googled, and was correct!

Maybe they thought unadorned glitter pumps would look too sophisticated for a girl of Dorothy's age.

by Anonymousreply 5January 2, 2020 10:00 PM

Actually, the bows were added by the wardrobe department....

by Anonymousreply 6January 2, 2020 11:06 PM

The slippers Dorothy wore in the book version of TWOW were silver. They had turned up toes too, I think. From the sound of it, it would seem there were pretty funny looking. Here's info about the creation of the red slippers:

The slippers were designed by Gilbert Adrian, MGM's chief costume designer. Initially, two pairs were made in different styles. The so-called "Arabian test pair" was "a wildly jeweled, Arabian motif, with curling toes and heels." This pair was used in costume tests, but was rejected as unsuitable for Dorothy's Kansas farm girl image. The second design was approved, with one modification. The red bugle beads used to simulate rubies proved too heavy, so they were mostly replaced with sequins, about 2,300 for each shoe.

It is believed that at least six or seven pairs of the final design were made. According to producer Mervyn LeRoy, "We must have had five or ten pairs of those shoes". The wardrobe woman who worked on the film claimed "six identical pairs" had been made. Four pairs used in the movie have been accounted for. Rhys Thomas speculates that they were likely made by Joe Napoli of the Western Costume Company, and not all at once, but as the need arose. Garland requested one pair a half-size larger, as her feet would become slightly swollen in the afternoon from the rigors of morning rehearsals and filming.[citation needed] According to Rhys Thomas in his Los Angeles Times article, "all the ruby slippers are between Size 5 and 6, varying between B and D widths."

The four surviving pairs were made from white silk pumps from the Innes Shoe Company in Los Angeles. At the time, many movie studios used plain white silk shoes because they were inexpensive and easy to dye. It is likely that most of the shoes worn by female characters in The Wizard of Oz were plain Innes shoes with varying heel heights, dyed to match each costume. There is an embossed gold or silver stamp or an embroidered cloth label bearing the name of the company inside each right shoe.

To create the ruby slippers, the shoes were dyed red, then burgundy sequined organza overlays were attached to each shoe's upper and heel. The film's early three-strip Technicolor process required the sequins to be darker than most red sequins found today; bright red sequins would have appeared orange on screen. Two weeks before the start of shooting, Adrian added butterfly-shaped red strap leather bows. Each of the Art Deco-inspired bows had three large, rectangular, red-glass jewels with dark red bugle beads, outlined in red glass rhinestones in silver settings. The stones and beads were sewn to the bows, then to the organza-covered shoe. Three pairs of the surviving slippers had orange felt glued to their soles to deaden the sound of Garland dancing on the Yellow Brick Road.

by Anonymousreply 7January 2, 2020 11:19 PM

R4 It was her 'purse.' Many women, then and now, carry some kind of purse.

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2020 2:23 AM

[quote]So why add an unnecessary prop?

It was where Judy kept her drugs and she wasn't letting those out of her sight. Louie B. Mayer stopped by the set one day and said, "Why is she carrying a basket and trying to dance at the same time?" Judy's handler pulled Mayer aside before Judy heard it and said, "It's where she keeps her dolls." Mayer left the set more confused than when he had arrived.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2020 2:35 AM

In the book she puts bread and butter from the farm house in the basket before setting off, in case she and Toto get hungry.

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2020 2:36 AM

Farm girls carried stuff in baskets, they carried eggs in from the henhouse in those sorts of baskets, and packed lunches for the farmhands in them, and so on and so forth. The basket was an attempt to make her look like a farm girl, in spite of her false eyelashes, plucked eyebrows, heavy makeup, and ringleted hair.

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2020 5:24 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2020 5:28 AM

[quote] I never understood why Dorothy carries that basket throughout the entire movie or its purpose. Was it to carry Toto who is seen either walking or being cradled in arms? We never see Dorothy take anything out of it AFAIK. So why add an unnecessary prop?

It was to signal to her fans that she understood they were gayer than the picnic basket she was carrying.

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2020 5:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!