Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Books Are You Reading in 2020? Part 1

It’s past midnight in several places now and this year will bring more reading opportunities!

What are your reading plans for the New Year? And what are you reading now?

My goals are no no longer buy any ebook that aren’t from a prescribed list of favourite authors, or aren’t under $5. O have far too many unread.

I also plan to read 2 classics per month and about 6 per month in total.

I will start with big ‘uns - Moby Dick, In Search Of Lost Time and thanks to the recommendations of Prof in the Classics thread I started a few months ago, the Iliad.

That said, I’m currently on a trashy holiday read - Grace Metalious’s Peyton Place, no less - so wish me luck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600August 3, 2020 10:25 PM

Read whatever I feel like reading. I read plenty. It's not something I have to plan, or commit to a New Year's resolution. Last night I finished [italic]What It Was[/italic], a George Pelecanos mystery that brought Derek Strange and Nick Stefanos together. Today I'm reading [italic]Black List[/italic], one of Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski mysteries, which, if I proceed at the same speed, will become my first book of 2020.

by Anonymousreply 1December 31, 2019 1:17 PM

Ugh. We have to look at that moving picture every time we come to this thread? I think I'll disappear it. Sorry, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2December 31, 2019 1:18 PM

Because I’m a couple of years behind everyone else, I am about to start the Sally Rooney books.

by Anonymousreply 3December 31, 2019 1:35 PM

Since I'm in 2019 for another 5 or so hours, just finishing John Boyne's Ladder to the Sky, based on a recommendation from the What Books Are You Reading in 2019 Part 3 thread (thanx R462). Boyne is one of those authors I was ambivalent about, but am glad I finally gave him a go. Clever, witty, compelling writing that encourages me to have a go at his other books.

First up on the nightstand for 2020, Le Carre's Agent Running in the Field.

by Anonymousreply 4December 31, 2019 1:49 PM

For me, it's two of the things in the poll:

Read more books AND purchase fewer (really no more!) books.

by Anonymousreply 5December 31, 2019 1:52 PM

I will read one of the basics I have never read - The Old Man And The Sea. A second-hand copy is from a charity store is one of the last things my father gave me before he died, so I will read it in memory of him.

And on another note, I received a copy of Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand from my boyfriend's father (!). If I don't accidentally on purpose lose it, I may read it in time for Easter so I can stir things up.

by Anonymousreply 6December 31, 2019 2:44 PM

r5, have you tried using your library's website to access kindle books? They are 95% of what I read now.

by Anonymousreply 7December 31, 2019 2:46 PM

R5 is a librarian pretending to be Joe Average.

by Anonymousreply 8December 31, 2019 2:48 PM

I am reading 'Investing' by Glen Arnold. He's a fucking genius, it's so easy to understand. I need it because that is my new decade resolution — changing careers. From teaching English to economics and finance.

by Anonymousreply 9December 31, 2019 2:50 PM

Sorry R2. It is the same gif Inused in the Classics thread I shall use a more appropriate image in then future, such as this headline from the New York Times on December 7 1938.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 31, 2019 5:10 PM

I received some books for Christmas presents - "The Dutch House" (loved it) and "The Innocents" (I'll be still reading it in 2020).

by Anonymousreply 11December 31, 2019 5:20 PM

It is not 2020 yet, so i cannot answer the question.

Thanks for the shitty gif we all have to look at, OP.

by Anonymousreply 12December 31, 2019 5:21 PM

Has anyone here read Brett Anderson's recently published second memoir?

by Anonymousreply 13December 31, 2019 5:24 PM

Started with Augustan Burroughs Toil and Trouble. Ok, somewhat humorous light read. Then working through John Boyne books - all of which have been great reads.

Tired of classics. I need some new books - but nothing of interest lately. All “woke” books - just want a well written story, preferably gay.

by Anonymousreply 14December 31, 2019 5:37 PM

I got suckered into a couple of Kindle rebate offers late in the year, added to my already Everest-sized Mount TBR. I have tried planning my reading ahead by the month, but it just hasn't worked out well for me. I'm afraid I'm just going to have to pick them as I go.

Tomorrow morning will find me partway through an Israeli novel: [italic]Five Seasons[/italic], as well as one I've mentioned at a political DL thread, [italic]In America: Tales from Trump Country[/italic], an Irish journalist's explanation to the Irish public of how the 2016 election turned out as it did (sorry, but it was lost even without "Russians").

Two titles I want to get to in the near future: [italic]Courting Mr. Lincoln[/italic] and [italic]Lost for Words[/italic], a British farce. I've been kind of leery of [italic]The Dutch House[/italic], but reconsidering as so many rave about it.

by Anonymousreply 15December 31, 2019 5:42 PM

I'm trying to read Goodnight Moon but it's a little too diffecullt

by Anonymousreply 16December 31, 2019 5:46 PM

[quote]R5 is a librarian pretending to be Joe Average.

I would never claim (or want) to be average.

by Anonymousreply 17December 31, 2019 6:04 PM

I’m the Franzen fan and curious to hear perspectives on other living authors who produced 3 books of the quality of The Corrections, Freedom and Purity.

I’m not saying the don’t exist but I can’t think of any.

by Anonymousreply 18December 31, 2019 6:21 PM

Hard Times by Dickens. About 50 pages in; so far, I’m enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 19December 31, 2019 6:29 PM

Totally agree R18. I thought I was THE Franzen fan. He gets so much hate - but I think his books are the some of the best of this century. Good story, great writing, brilliant insights into people and society, emotionally impactful. Looking forward to another book at some point.

by Anonymousreply 20December 31, 2019 7:03 PM

Another Franzen Fan here. Correctons is now one of my favorites. He is also on my to-read-list for 2020 with Freedom. Right after I'll have finished the book that I've just started [Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell]. I like to change between light reads just for fun and more serious ones.

by Anonymousreply 21December 31, 2019 7:21 PM

R18 Cormac McCarthy says Howdy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 31, 2019 7:39 PM

Currently reading Adam Higginbotham's "Midnight in Chernobyl." It's excellent and gripping, but slow going between all of the Russian names and frequent breaks to step away from the sheer horror of it all.

by Anonymousreply 23December 31, 2019 7:44 PM

Cormac McCarthy is too dark. Good writing - but don’t like the stories. Don’t inspire or provide insight. But they do affect emotionally and leave food for thought.

by Anonymousreply 24December 31, 2019 8:00 PM

R24 Just because they aren't to your taste doesn't mean that they don't rank among the most significant American works of the century. And he does provide insight; insight into the heart of darkness in human nature, the myth of the American West, and many other things.

by Anonymousreply 25December 31, 2019 8:06 PM

r16, you should try The Pet Goat

by Anonymousreply 26December 31, 2019 8:11 PM

I hate authors who crank out a book a year. Like they go to the office with a briefcase and type for 8 hours.

I'm in the middle of Robert Blake's autobiography "Tales Of A Rascal". He is certifiably insane. Written in a stream of conscious way- but you don't want to take a dip in that stream.

by Anonymousreply 27December 31, 2019 8:12 PM

I finished The End by Salvatore Scibona and was disappointed. It received rapturous critical acclaim and a National Book Award nomination but I thought it could have used a good editor. The writing itself is often gorgeous but there are so many characters and points of view and time jumps that I stopped caring about the characters halfway through.

by Anonymousreply 28December 31, 2019 8:25 PM

I'll still be reading Death Comes For the Archibishop in a few hours; there's no way I will finish it that quickly. I don't really read much recent publishing, outside of academic literature.

I would like to read more books with lesbians in them though.

by Anonymousreply 29January 1, 2020 2:17 AM

just finishedAugustan Burroughs' Wolf at the Table. thought i'd hate it. but really "enjoyed" it. incredible messed up family story.

by Anonymousreply 30January 1, 2020 2:32 AM

Just finished "Stuck in the Middle: Dissenting Views of Winnipeg" by Bartley Kives with photos by Bryan Scott. So good and negative, a non-fiction paean to mediocrity not unlike Franzen's "Twenty-seventh c ity" about St. Louis.

by Anonymousreply 31January 1, 2020 7:40 AM

Answering to the comment who asked for other author who produced 3 books of the quality of The corrections, -Freedom and Purity (everybody forgets that Franzen published two novels before The corrections) i suppose the obvious answer is Marylinne Robinson, or at least that what the critics say because i never read any of her novels.

There are a few of "a novel per decade" writers who are loved by critics, i'm thinking on Jeffrey Eugenides and Donna Tartt, but i suppose there are a lot more

by Anonymousreply 32January 1, 2020 10:16 AM

Thanks R32. Those are good “ nominations”.

Middlesex and The Goldfinch are big, sweeping novels on the scale of Franzen’s last 3 novels and both won Pulitzers. Franzen was only a finalist for Freedom but won a National Book Award for The Corrections.

I loved The Marriage Plot and liked The Secret History a lot. The first thee quarters of The Goldfinch was great.

Tartt’s second novel, The Little Friend, was not well received.

All in all, I think Franzen’s work stands up best of these 3 but they’re all due for new novels so it should be fun to see what they produce.

by Anonymousreply 33January 1, 2020 11:48 AM

Butcher’s Crossing - John Williams ( started in 2019 ).

The Overstory - Richard Powers ( started in 2019 ).

Dead Fashion Girl - Fred Vermoral.

Soul Beneath the Skin - David Nimmons.

The Old Weird Albion - Justin Hopper

by Anonymousreply 34January 1, 2020 12:19 PM

I'm currently reading both "Have His Carcase" by Dorothy L. Sayers and "Ten Word Game" by Jonathan Gash, so I suppose those will wind up being my first reads of 2020.

by Anonymousreply 35January 1, 2020 1:05 PM

Half way through A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I was inspired to read it from a recommendation in another thread.

by Anonymousreply 36January 1, 2020 1:11 PM

I read 70 books this year. My bridge book into 2020 is Zoo, by Otsuichi (It's really a collection of short stories).

I need to read less, this year, because it's time to jump back into real life.

by Anonymousreply 37January 1, 2020 2:00 PM

Finishing Where the Crawdad Sings just to see why it has been so incredibly popular. I'm finding it sweet and readable, but nothing to rave about and easy to walk away from. Sometimes books just catch on. Also rereading Little Women (first time since grade school) and To the Lighthouse.

by Anonymousreply 38January 1, 2020 2:19 PM

I'm part of a Facebook/email group that will be reading all of Shakespeare's works this year (the Shakespeare 2020 Project). We're starting out with Twelvth Night, and then heading into the histories (Henry VI is next).

by Anonymousreply 39January 1, 2020 2:25 PM

At the moment I'm reading Colin Woodwars "American Nations: A History of The Eleven Regional Cultures of North America." I should know I'm a Yankee living in the south.

The other is by Claude Shannon & Warren Weaver titled "The Mathematical Theory of Communication" - I should not Shannon is one of my heroes here's a guy who produced the writings that spelled doom for the Bell System and then rested on his laurels the rest of his career.

by Anonymousreply 40January 1, 2020 2:37 PM

just finished, and enjoyed George Pelecanos' "The Night Gardner". recommend it highly.

by Anonymousreply 41January 2, 2020 6:43 PM

Just about to dive into Toni Morrison's "God Help the Child" for my book group. Next one will be "Olive, Again" by Elizabeth Strout.

The Franzen discussion has me wanting to read "Purity" this year. For the fans of his work here, how would you compare it to "The Corrections" and "Freedom"?

by Anonymousreply 42January 3, 2020 7:31 PM

Purity is probably the weakest of the three - but still good. A little more convoluted but relevant to the age of fake news and internet manipulation.

by Anonymousreply 43January 3, 2020 7:54 PM

The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton. Undone Spragg would have been a DLer.

by Anonymousreply 44January 4, 2020 1:55 AM

Purity is my favorite of Franzen’s novels. I loved it!

by Anonymousreply 45January 4, 2020 2:08 AM

Love that book, r44!

by Anonymousreply 46January 4, 2020 4:51 PM

I have owned a copy of Dark Emu by for a few years and given the Australian fires, it may be time to crack it open. It is by indigenous historian Bruce Pascoe and goes back to first person accounts of Australian agricultural practises of the aboriginal settlers that were observed by British settlers.

by Anonymousreply 47January 5, 2020 1:38 AM

I'm about to go to Mexico and need to read something really absorbing. I'm bringing the following with me ion my Kindle:

Sinister Street, by Compton Mackenzie

The Prime Minister, by Anthony Trollope

White Jazz, by James Ellroy

The Long Goodbye, by Raymond Chandler

I started the first two novels years ago, and loved them both, but got interrupted with each of them, and ultimately realized I would have to start all over, and haven't given myself the opportunity to do so until now.

by Anonymousreply 48January 5, 2020 2:35 AM

[quote] I hate authors who crank out a book a year.

Oh, me too! What slackers!

by Anonymousreply 49January 5, 2020 2:37 AM

R48, why no Mexican authors?

by Anonymousreply 50January 5, 2020 2:38 AM

r50, I rarely read about a place while I'm there--I do it beforehand, or when I get back.

by Anonymousreply 51January 5, 2020 2:40 AM

I think The Way We Live Now would be more what you're looking for on the trip then the Prime Minister.

by Anonymousreply 52January 5, 2020 3:55 AM

I've already read The Way We Live Now, r52. I've also read all the other Palliser novels up through The Prime Minister, so it is the logical one for me to read next. (I've also read all of his Barsetshire novels.)

I should add: I absolutely was not looking for advice at r48. I was simply answering the OP's question. I'm happy with my choices.

by Anonymousreply 53January 5, 2020 5:08 AM

I just finished [italic]Paying Guests[/italic] by E.F. Benson. I am now reading [italic]Oscar Wilde and a Game Called Murder[/italic] by Gyles Brandreth.

My goal is to read 60 books this year. That's audacious enough for me, I'm choosing also to read longstanding "to be read" titles from my crammed bookshelves and release the fiction paperbacks when I'm done with them. I am not a mental heavyweight: for every classic on my Goodreads shelf there is a young adult novel or Dianne Brill/Joan Crawford/Bette Davis "conduct of life" manual.

by Anonymousreply 54January 5, 2020 6:02 AM

Don DeLillo is still alive, R18.

by Anonymousreply 55January 5, 2020 6:08 AM

R55: I'm talking about DeLillo, which are his great books? I only read Cosmopolis and i liked the writting but i didn't like the novel, so i would want to find the right one for a second chance

by Anonymousreply 56January 5, 2020 10:38 AM

Just finished Le Carre's Agent Running in the Field. One of his less memorable works.

Next up on the nightstand: The "Danish Novel of the Decade", Sissel-Jo Gazan's The Dinosaur Feather and my first foray into Barbara Kingsolver, Unsheltered.

by Anonymousreply 57January 5, 2020 10:45 AM

R56, read his White Noise.

by Anonymousreply 58January 5, 2020 12:12 PM

R58: I'll do

by Anonymousreply 59January 5, 2020 12:40 PM

I've been reading about British history. Currently it's "The Fury of the Northmen: Saints, Shrines and Sea-Raiders in the Viking Age" by John Marsden. The urge to profit by killing, enslaving and ripping off honest working people goes very deep in Anglo-American culture.

by Anonymousreply 60January 5, 2020 1:39 PM

R53 I read The Prime Minister and found it enjoyable. Perhaps it's less accomplished than The Eustace Diamonds but still a good read and Lopez is an interesting character - the outsider who schemes to be an establishment insider. The BBC version available on YouTube is well worth looking at.

by Anonymousreply 61January 5, 2020 3:39 PM

I read 91 books this year so I wish to read at least that and stop buying books compulsively. Am reading French Exit by Patrick dewitt, The Hunting Party, by Lucy Foley and Lost Connections by Johan Hari.

Trying to finish Cooking with Fernet Blanca, which seems written by a datalounger. It isvery funny but somehow I got stuck.

by Anonymousreply 62January 5, 2020 5:57 PM

Oh, for fuck’s sake, r50, ALL cultures are like that.

by Anonymousreply 63January 5, 2020 6:02 PM

Fernet Branca is pretty much a farce, as I recall. I have French Exit on my own TBR pile.

by Anonymousreply 64January 5, 2020 6:03 PM

DeLillo is always a slog. Good writing but the stories don’t engage me. And the weird pseudo-sci fi type thing. Very much straight guy writing. I prefer David Foster Wallace to him - which is saying a lot.

by Anonymousreply 65January 5, 2020 6:32 PM

Just read a great collection of short stories called Read by Strangers.

by Anonymousreply 66January 5, 2020 7:09 PM

Just bought "Midnight in Chernobyl" with my Audible credit - I hope it's good! I have a bad habit of starting books & not finishing them when I lose interest.

by Anonymousreply 67January 5, 2020 9:53 PM

Reading Kingsley Amis' [italic]The Green Man[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 68January 5, 2020 10:15 PM

Luminous Traitor, the Martin Duberman book on Roger Casement

by Anonymousreply 69January 5, 2020 10:17 PM

My book club has decided to revisit "Forever Amber" by Kathleen Windsor. All but two of us have read it outside book club. but it's such a great read that we're going to read it again in the club so we can discuss it. If you haven't read it, I suggest you do. It's like "Gone with the Wind" set in restoration period London. Just like Scarlett, you want to hate the main character, but can't help but root for her. SO GOOD!

by Anonymousreply 70January 5, 2020 10:32 PM

[quote] I'm talking about DeLillo, which are his great books?

White Noise and Libra are his two most admired.

Many people consider the first fifty pages of Underworld to be the best thing he ever wrote, but I thought the book went downhill after that bravura beginning.

by Anonymousreply 71January 5, 2020 11:07 PM

R67

U S Audible members who complete three audio books that are longer than 3 hours each by March 3, earn a $20 Amazon credit later in March. Books that you started prior to January 1st, but finish later work fine.

by Anonymousreply 72January 5, 2020 11:13 PM

R71, I loved Underworld. Great read.

by Anonymousreply 73January 5, 2020 11:16 PM

A Double Life by Flynn Berry

by Anonymousreply 74January 5, 2020 11:44 PM

Underworld is spectacular, as was the short-story collection The Angel Esmeralda.

by Anonymousreply 75January 6, 2020 1:31 AM

I don't enjoy DeLillo, but I certainly think he's a better writer than Frantzen.

by Anonymousreply 76January 6, 2020 2:43 AM

"The Queen" about the infamous woman Reagan vilified over and over in speeches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 6, 2020 2:48 AM

Just finished the oral bio of Mike Nichols. LIFE ISN'T EVERYTHING. Fascinating guy, easy to admire and worship, it seems, but not always easy to know. Doesn't go near his love life, so no mention of the affair with Richard Avedon. Really enjoyed the movie and theater anecdotes.

by Anonymousreply 78January 6, 2020 3:25 AM

I am a quarter of the way through "Did You Ever Have A Family" by Bill Clegg, it's his first novel published in 2015. I cannot say enough good things about this book so far. It was longlisted for both the National Book Award and the Man Booker Prize. The writing is crisp and thoughtful; it could easily be made into a movie, I can see some of the shots in my head.

It details a tragedy in a small town that the protagonist flees. It's about love, loss and how we connect with others. I didn't think I was in the mood for it, but it drew me in immediately. Honestly one of the best things I've read in ages. I looked up the author, and he happens to be a gay man. I cannot wait to read more from him.

by Anonymousreply 79January 7, 2020 4:03 AM

Bill Clegg - The meth-addict / pretty boy former editor/man about town? Curious to hear what he has to say. His flameout was spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 80January 7, 2020 4:11 AM

That'd be him, R80. It seems he's made quite the turnaround.

by Anonymousreply 81January 7, 2020 4:13 AM

I read that a few years ago R79, and the whole story has really stayed with me. Agreed, it would make a good movie.

And good thing we can be allowed second chances in this life.

by Anonymousreply 82January 7, 2020 4:14 AM

R80: He received a lot of criticism (specially on gay sites) but the truth is he was able to come back not only as editor but as a writer, and yes, Did you ever have a family is a great novel

by Anonymousreply 83January 7, 2020 9:44 AM

I think Clegg will publish his second novel this year. The same with Garth Greenwell (who seems to be loved by other writers)

by Anonymousreply 84January 7, 2020 9:45 AM

Dwight Garner's review of Larry Kramer's latest jumbo tome is fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 85January 7, 2020 1:38 PM

OP, what were you trying say with that gif? I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 86January 7, 2020 3:21 PM

Currently reading Mischling by Affinity Konar about twins who are sent to Auschwitz and experimented on by Dr. Mengele. Love the writing so far and it's incredibly sad the evil that men do to others.

by Anonymousreply 87January 7, 2020 3:41 PM

Just finished The Dutch House by Ann Patchett. It was quite sad at times but very well written. The eponymous house is vividly realized and haunts the entire book as well as its two central characters.

I’m about to try my first Felice Picano — Like People in History. Was curious if that was a good place to start with him. I picked it up recently at a used bookstore.

Has anyone read At Danceteria? Apparently there’s a follow-up coming out this year. Walker dropped the first story recently in an AIDS magazine.

by Anonymousreply 88January 7, 2020 8:57 PM

I read Like People in History for the first time last summer. Have to say--it confirmed my impression that Picano was, by far, the LEAST talented member of the Violet Quill.

by Anonymousreply 89January 8, 2020 12:55 AM

For my free Kindle Library selection this month (a subset of Kindle Unlimited offerings for Prime members) I have selected [italic]All This I Give to You[/italic], a novel from Spain where it turns out the newly widowered main character learns his husband was leading a secret life. Anyone here read it?

by Anonymousreply 90January 8, 2020 1:08 AM

Correspondents: a Novel, by Tim Murphy. New novel by the writer of Christadora.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91January 8, 2020 1:32 AM

This book completely escaped my notice, R91 so thank you for mentioning it. I liked Christodoro, so sprawling and epic. Will check it out, reviews look very good.

by Anonymousreply 92January 8, 2020 2:21 AM

I'm still waiting Christodora to be published here in Spain. The same for The great believers

by Anonymousreply 93January 8, 2020 1:14 PM

I'm going to start His bloody project by Graeme Macrae Burnett

by Anonymousreply 94January 8, 2020 8:14 PM

Somebody told me about this book Empty Mansions. It’s supposed to be very good. I just ordered a hardcover copy off of Amazon. I let you know how it is!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95January 8, 2020 8:25 PM

I did read that R95. It is good. Great story of obscene wealth. Somewhat Vanity Fair-ish topic but interesting because she was uniquely odd and it covers a long time span from Gilded Age to relatively recent.

by Anonymousreply 96January 8, 2020 8:29 PM

I have a few recommendations for you all that I have thoroughly enjoyed in the last month or so. First, I was introduced somewhere on DL to the free app called Libby that allows you to download through a network of libraries e-books and audiobooks for free. You just need to link your library card to the account, and then away you go. Sometimes you need to place a hold on the things that you want, but it's also pushed me to read certain things I wouldn't normally have because it was available when I needed something to read. Thanks again to whoever posted the info originally, I've become an even more voracious reader because of it.

The Shadow Of The Wind is a book from 2005 by the Spanish author Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It's set in Barcelona and begins in 1945 when the protagonist is allowed to choose a book from the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. He chooses a book called The Shadow Of The Wind written by a man named Carax. It's a rather elaborate and well-plotted mystery dealing with Carax's books being destroyed and our protagonist is there to solve what's happening. Beautiful and evocative language and gripping story. Apparently, there are more as this is the first in a series of three.

The Language Of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh is a gripping novel of a young girl who grew up in foster care and how that shapes her. She ends up working for a florist and her easiest way of communication is through the Victorian perspective of what flowers symbolize, something taught to her by one of the many foster homes she's been through. The book sort of runs out of steam at the end, but the first two thirds or so are pretty awesome.

Janet Evanovich is known for her Stephanie Plum novels, which I don't entirely care for, but I picked up Wicked Appetite, which is a fluffy novel of pastry chef Lizzy who becomes aware of her supernatural power. She sort of falls into treasure hunting relics representing the 7 deadly sins with a mysterious and handsome stranger she meets who is working against his demonic yet charming cousin. There are a foul-tempered monkey sidekick and a ninja cat also in the mix. It's laugh out loud funny at times, and while it's no high art, it's a fun read. First in a series of 4 so far.

by Anonymousreply 97January 8, 2020 9:22 PM

I just finished The Other Side of the Coin by Angela Kelly. She’s the Queen’s dresser but I don’t recommend it. It’s very superficial and fawning.

by Anonymousreply 98January 8, 2020 9:30 PM

I'm not reading, I'm binge watching Srugim on Amazon Prime

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99January 8, 2020 9:36 PM

I picked up HAUSFRAU by Jill Alexander Essbaum from the library - admittedly, the title tickles me.

It is a post-modern Anna Karenina homage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 9, 2020 4:47 AM

Anyone know WILBERFORCE by H.S. Cross? Set in a British boys' school in the 1920s. It was recommended on a literary website I visit often.

by Anonymousreply 101January 9, 2020 1:15 PM

Re-reading William Gibson's Sprawl trilogy, for starters.

by Anonymousreply 102January 9, 2020 1:27 PM

i have given up on Evanovich. she now writes with her son, and he is no writer, and she has become barely a writer. ham-handed and humorless....

by Anonymousreply 103January 9, 2020 1:54 PM

I don't want to go too far OT on the thread about most boring book; however, I noticed there are a few fans of Bartley the Scrivener. Consider [italic]I Am Jonathan Scrivener[/italic] by Claude Houghton, a later novel where Scrivener is willing to work, but there's not much for him to do!

by Anonymousreply 104January 9, 2020 9:34 PM

I just finished Mackenzie Phillips’s first book, so now I have to read her second. After that, I’m going to read all the books by the women of [italic]Family Ties[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 105January 9, 2020 9:44 PM

Tina Yothers wrote a book, R105?

by Anonymousreply 106January 9, 2020 10:20 PM

Yes she did, R106. And it must have been something else because used copies are not cheap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107January 9, 2020 10:24 PM

Thank you, R79, I picked that up at your suggestion and read it straight through what would have otherwise been an unbearable night.

I'd recommend it along with The Dog Stars for anyone to sidestep freefall while peering into the abyss.

by Anonymousreply 108January 9, 2020 10:40 PM

R108 I loved The Dog Stars - post-apocalyptic fiction is my jam. It’s even better with dogs. The Road would have benefited from a canine companion. x

by Anonymousreply 109January 10, 2020 1:04 AM

Dying Fall by Elly Griffiths. Strictly speaking I suppose that Griffiths' books could be considered Chick Lit, but I'm not averse to reading good Chick Lit when it comes along. Her books are mysteries, written with a dry sense of humor, which I like, and the characters are diverse and interesting, especially the self-proclaimed Druid, Cathbad. Her main character, Dr. Ruth Galloway, is a forensic archaeologist in Norfolk. Rather than being the glamorous heroine often portrayed in detective stories, Ruth is a fat and 40-ish, highly unglamorous heroine.

by Anonymousreply 110January 10, 2020 8:40 AM

R109: There's a canine companion in the group who finds the child at the end of the novel. I have the dog stars at home but i didn't read it yet. I think the last post apocalipsis novel that i read was Station eleven

by Anonymousreply 111January 10, 2020 11:34 AM

R99 I love Srugim. There's a subplot in seasons 2-3 involving a gay character though, and it's rather sad.

by Anonymousreply 112January 10, 2020 2:29 PM

Reading Forster’s “Maurice” for the first time and quite enjoying it so far.

by Anonymousreply 113January 10, 2020 2:43 PM

Forster was a great writer

by Anonymousreply 114January 10, 2020 4:10 PM

I hope someone remakes that, R113. I won't watch anything James Ivory has anything to do with after he collaborated on that antisemitic pedo melodrama set in Fascist-land.

by Anonymousreply 115January 10, 2020 5:09 PM

R115: You are as dense as you are ridiculous. Ivory has a very loooong career, so if you didn't watch anything he made it's not because some ridiculous prejudice about a movie he was the screenplayer.

And you need a dictionary because you obviously don't understand the meaning of pedophile

by Anonymousreply 116January 10, 2020 5:33 PM

Corey Feldman, who actually is Jewish, does:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117January 10, 2020 5:36 PM

James Ivory is a pedophile and an antisemite and I will not watch anything anyone involved with that movie had ANYTHING to do with. If that means remaking the entire Merchant-Ivory catalog without him, then so be it.

by Anonymousreply 118January 10, 2020 5:37 PM

It seems we have a troll here.

It was surprising this thread was troll free for so many time

by Anonymousreply 119January 10, 2020 5:38 PM

R119 must also be a pedo and an antisemite since you feel so emotionally invested in defending their ultra-vile work. Everything related to that goddamn movie makes me sick to my stomach. And for the AMPAS to honor this crap along with that transcult propaganda they gave the Best Foreign Film award to while totally ignoring the far superior consensual romance between two gay MEN in [italic]God's Own Country[/italic] makes them a criminal organization as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 120January 10, 2020 5:41 PM

I won't read the book, either. I'd rather burn it.

by Anonymousreply 121January 10, 2020 5:41 PM

R120: You are really stupid, and i don't even like that novel (i didn't watched the movie either)

R121: Do the world a favour and burn yourself with the book

by Anonymousreply 122January 10, 2020 5:45 PM

Currently: Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, but I haven't progressed much. Also, Trick Mirror by Jia Tolentino.

by Anonymousreply 123January 10, 2020 5:47 PM

R122, the more you insult me, the more I will double down on my opposition to that film and its source material.

by Anonymousreply 124January 10, 2020 5:48 PM

Lipstick Alley is also calling a spade a spade, so to speak:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125January 10, 2020 5:49 PM

R124: Don't worry, i waste enough time with you and there's a fantastic block button to use

by Anonymousreply 126January 10, 2020 5:53 PM

Corey was right then and he is right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127January 10, 2020 5:54 PM

I will not date anyone who likes either the book or the movie.

by Anonymousreply 128January 10, 2020 5:55 PM

I buy gift copies of CMBYN, both books / kindle copies and DVDs. I have given them to all my friends. We are a semi-semitic crowd, not a pedo among us. We all just loved that gorgeous, skinny, obsessed NJB Elio Perlman. What Oliver did was a shandeh.

We all wish Ivory had gotten his way, scriptwise.

by Anonymousreply 129January 10, 2020 6:00 PM

Enjoy being an incel, R129.

by Anonymousreply 130January 10, 2020 6:01 PM

You are a pedophile, or at minimum an enabler, if you think it is okay for a grown man to carry on with a 17-year-old of either sex.

by Anonymousreply 131January 10, 2020 6:02 PM

Don't use Italian law to justify it when they don't even have gay marriage now and fucking Germany does!

by Anonymousreply 132January 10, 2020 6:02 PM

R129, you're a self-hating Jew if you can't see the antisemitism inherent in this text along with the pedophilia.

by Anonymousreply 133January 10, 2020 6:03 PM

I don't have to step in shit to know it's shit!

by Anonymousreply 134January 10, 2020 6:04 PM

I thought you didn't read it, r133.

by Anonymousreply 135January 10, 2020 6:08 PM

R135, I can't wait until the FBI pays a visit to you and your sick "friends."

by Anonymousreply 136January 10, 2020 6:16 PM

R135:_ He is a troll, he doesn't need facts. I'm pretty sure he doesn't even know the movie (and the novel) are set in the 80's and had nothing to do with fascism or antisemitism.

But talking about italian fascism, the last Strega award winner, M, the son of the century is published here. It's about the rise of Mussolini and it seems pretty interesting. It's a long novel (900), two of the last four winners are very long novels because The catholic shool by Edoardo Albinati is way beyond 1000 pages

by Anonymousreply 137January 10, 2020 6:17 PM

I go through around 5 to 10 audiobooks per month. I just started listening to John Connolly's Bag of Bones, book #17 in the Charlie Parker series, which is about darker crimes with a supernatural twist. Parker's best friends are a gay couple, a burglar and a hit man, and they are one of the reasons I like the series so much.

Otherwise I tend to listen to a lot of frau porn, i.e. "romantic erotica" which features alien MMF or MFM threesomes, gay couples and such. Too bad the audiobook source I subscribe to doesn't have that many true gay novels, i.e. novels written by gay men, but occasionally I try to find novels with gay content. One such was John Boyne's A Ladder to the Sky, which was about a sociopathic social climber who used men and women to get where he wanted. The novel was surprisingly memorable although I wouldn't really call it a very pleasant read. A more lighter read has been Gregory Ashe's Pretty Pretty Boys series about a gay cop and his straigth-ish partner.

I've also recently finished a few Stephen King audiobooks, like The Tommyknockers, The Outsider and his latest The Institute. Say what you will about King but he knows how to tell a story, and how to build believable worlds. I'm currently on an Alistair MacLean binge, although three novels in a row is possibly enough for now.

I guess I should point out that I listen to audiobooks almost all the time when working on a computer (design/illustration), doing household chores or when taking long walks outside. The only novel I've managed to read as an e-book in the past like 5 years is the first novel in James S. A. Corey's The Expanse series, Leviathan Wakes. I'm on the second novel now. For some reason that series makes me want to read it properly in written words, right before going to sleep. I love traveling to that world.

[quote]You are a pedophile, or at minimum an enabler, if you think it is okay for a grown man to carry on with a 17-year-old of either sex.

What an idiotic thing to say. CMBYN isn't exactly my favorite gay novel but it's surprisingly touching nonetheless. 25 (or was it 23?) year old having sex with a 17 year old is not pedophilia, and you know it perfectly well. I advise you to not visit Pornhub's straight section where barely legal porn seems to be quite prevalent these days.

by Anonymousreply 138January 10, 2020 6:27 PM

R137/R138, the more defensive you get, the more guilty you seem.

by Anonymousreply 139January 10, 2020 6:39 PM

A 17-year-old is not an adult, and if a survivor of child molestation says it's pro-pedo, then I'm inclined to believe him and not you.

by Anonymousreply 140January 10, 2020 6:40 PM

You make me embarrassed to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 141January 10, 2020 6:40 PM

[quote]James Ivory is a pedophile and an antisemite and I will not watch anything anyone involved with that movie had ANYTHING to do with. If that means remaking the entire Merchant-Ivory catalog without him, then so be it.

R140, I just read though your posts in this thread... C-R-A-Z-Y. I remember one banned British right winger going on about God's Own Country in the CMBYN threads just like you did in this one.

by Anonymousreply 142January 10, 2020 6:45 PM

R142, you are a disgusting pig and so is anyone rationalizing this bigoted vileness.

by Anonymousreply 143January 10, 2020 6:46 PM

Not only are you an antisemite and a pedo enabler (if not an actual pedo yourself), but you are an ableist.

Hitler also killed the differently-abled in addition to Jews and gays. Thanks for making my point for me.

by Anonymousreply 144January 10, 2020 6:47 PM

Italian fascism is why Germany turned Nazi in the first place, yet we went easy on them compared to the other Axis powers. Why?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145January 10, 2020 6:48 PM

Spit the Kool-Aid out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146January 10, 2020 6:50 PM

Same review, different source:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147January 10, 2020 6:50 PM

Someone's missed his meds.

by Anonymousreply 148January 10, 2020 6:53 PM

Finish this sentence: "I am spamming the 'What Books Are You Reading in 2020' thread with comments about film because..."

On topic: finished [italic]The Green Man[/italic] and will soon flip a coin to decide which of these two books I will read next: [italic]The Pursuit of Love[/italic] by Nancy Mitford and [italic]Human Croquet[/italic] by Kate Atkinson.

by Anonymousreply 149January 10, 2020 7:13 PM

I'm glad you liked the book R108. I'm still working through it, I've been reading it at night before bed, and I'm only halfway through. Lydia is such a well-drawn character. Almost all are, and it's just heartbreaking. R149, I have read nothing by the Mitford sisters, but just managed to ruin an unread biography of them after I knocked a glass of water over. Would anyone recommend a good starting point with them? They seem like a fascinating family.

by Anonymousreply 150January 10, 2020 7:47 PM

If the book had never been written, then there'd never have been a movie of it.

by Anonymousreply 151January 10, 2020 7:49 PM

r150 I don't know about generally good, only "I read this and this is why I am choosing to read _The Pursuit of Love_ next", so if [italicThe Pursuit of Love[/italic] is not the overall recommended 'first' read, then [italic]Christmas Pudding[/italic] would be my experience-based recommendation.

by Anonymousreply 152January 10, 2020 7:50 PM

Call pedophilia and antisemitism by their names.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153January 10, 2020 7:53 PM

Thanks, R152!

by Anonymousreply 154January 10, 2020 7:54 PM

R154 is going to end up getting shivved in jail.

by Anonymousreply 155January 10, 2020 7:56 PM

I read [italic]Christmas Pudding[/italic] first only because it was available and fit a category in a Book Challenge I undertook. [italic]The Pursuit of Love[/italic] is supposed to be better.

This week's bookshelf slough read is Nero Wolfe's [italic]Fer-De-Lance[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 156January 10, 2020 8:09 PM

Larry Kramer's The American People Vol.2

He continues his exhaustive account of homosexuals in American life throughout its history.

by Anonymousreply 157January 10, 2020 8:10 PM

R157: I remember it under its original title: [italic]F@ggots[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 158January 10, 2020 8:15 PM

R158 I'm not sure what you mean, but this is not "Faggots."

by Anonymousreply 159January 10, 2020 8:17 PM

Wow. You block one person and then you certainly see a trail of unhinged lunacy continuing through R158. Go home, R158, you're drunk.

by Anonymousreply 160January 10, 2020 8:39 PM

Such contention ! Tsk tsk. Can't we all agree that the one novel that all DLers can celebrate is A Feast Unknown by Philip Jose Farmer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161January 10, 2020 11:48 PM

I just re-read White Palace by Glenn Savan, which I first read in 1987, the year it was published. For some reason I end up re-reading it every few years, and am struck anew by how well-crafted, witty and insightful it is, and how it manages to be romantic without being schmaltzy or overly sentimental. The 1990 film with Susan Sarandon and James Spader (both badly miscast) didn't come close to doing it justice.

Savan died in the early aughts, and only wrote one more novel, which sadly I found to be nearly unreadable. But White Palace is truly a gem.

by Anonymousreply 162January 11, 2020 12:57 PM

read "second Sleep" from a recommendation further up thread. was a good read, but hated the ending...

by Anonymousreply 163January 11, 2020 5:56 PM

I finished

Run Away by Harlan Coben

The Death of Mrs Westaway by Ruth Ware

The Final Girls by Riley Sager

by Anonymousreply 164January 11, 2020 6:43 PM

R158 is a mental case

by Anonymousreply 165January 11, 2020 6:47 PM

It’s that “Matt the Loon” freak from the theater threads. I knew it the second he/it used the word “ableist.”

Someone included his last name once and I looked him up on Facebook. Let’s say, I can see why he’s so angry at life.

by Anonymousreply 166January 11, 2020 8:32 PM

I’m sharing this new article about The House of Mirth, a favorite of mine and a number of Dataloungers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167January 11, 2020 8:40 PM

There's a lovely story in this week's New Yorker by a gay Scottish writer, Douglas Stuart. He's publishing a novel, SHUGGIE BAIN, next month—this story may be an excerpt from it—and I can't wait. The story is terrific.

by Anonymousreply 168January 12, 2020 4:03 PM

I found the short 1967 George Baxt novel Swing Low, Sweet Harriet in our building's common library. The detective Pharoah Love is gay and black. Its theme is an unsolved murder of a Hollywood director in the 1930s. I'm enjoying it so much although I picked it up at 9 pm last night my hands feel empty without it.

by Anonymousreply 169January 12, 2020 5:38 PM

Hmm. Gonna have to look that up, R169. A little piece of history in your hands there.

by Anonymousreply 170January 12, 2020 5:46 PM

"the Virginian" by Owen Wister. Yasss Queen.

by Anonymousreply 171January 12, 2020 6:13 PM

I've always been curious about the Baxt mysteries. There are a lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 172January 12, 2020 6:47 PM

George P. Pelecanos. just discovered his writing. so damn good. no gay, but lots of straight men falling in love with other straight men. friendships born from diversity. his characters are often black, dealing with racism. but so well written. and always a page-turner.

i started with "the night gardener" made me tear up several times. just finished the 3rd, and i'm going to work my way thru many more......

by Anonymousreply 173January 12, 2020 7:07 PM

Been meaning to try Baxt for a while - thanks for the reminder!

by Anonymousreply 174January 12, 2020 7:33 PM

[quote] Larry Kramer's The American People Vol.2

[quote] He continues his exhaustive account of [bold]those he broadly deems homosexuals, without much substantive proof,[/bold] in American life throughout its history.

FIFY.

by Anonymousreply 175January 12, 2020 7:38 PM

Got the second volume of the Larry Kramer behemoth. Now I just have to tackle the first.

by Anonymousreply 176January 16, 2020 2:03 AM

Ugh - I can’t imagine slogging through that Larry Kramer book. Who is his editor? He failed.

by Anonymousreply 177January 16, 2020 2:06 AM

Finished [italic]All This I Will Give to You[/italic] by Spanish writer Dolores Redondo. Longer than it should've been, with a soap-opera-ish plot, granted. However... I was struck by how she totally nailed the main character's sense of alienation being a gay guy dropped into an environment of totally new straight in-laws, etc. At present, it's free for anyone with Amazon Prime or Kindle Unlimited, so I would recommend it if you're looking for a "beach read" type situation.

by Anonymousreply 178January 17, 2020 3:44 PM

I find curious your comment because in my book forum everybody complained about the gay character, most people thought she was not wrting him like a gay man but as a woman.

That novel won the Planeta award with is the "literary award" with the biggest check in the world, but of course that has nothing of literary award because everybody in the industry knows who is going to win. Even there are two nobel winners that won the award it probably has negative prestige.

I remember how Dolores Redondo was hyped even before the publication of her first novel, the premise was interesting but the execution not that much.

Her first novel was adapted to a film recently, and i think they are going to film all of the Baztán trilogy novels.

To be honest, if i want to read a page turner thiller written by a spanish writer i prefer Toni HIll

by Anonymousreply 179January 17, 2020 7:27 PM

r178 Is it translated into English?

by Anonymousreply 180January 18, 2020 7:35 PM

Yes, I read it in English!

As I said, it was downright cheesy in places, not at all award-winning literature to me. I felt for him as being up against a group of unknown straight strangers. I suppose a gay guy, even in his circumstances, might have commented more about the mens' looks... and speculated about whether the friend-of-the-family priest was gay?

The mother-in-law here gives Bernarda Alba a run for the money in the Stone Cold B itch department.

by Anonymousreply 181January 18, 2020 7:48 PM

I'm reading an Agatha Raisin book by MC Beaton who also wrote Hamish Macbeth. Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener. It's funny and makes me want to visit the Cotswolds immediately! Agatha is a complete bitch and basically a Datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 182January 18, 2020 7:56 PM

I felt the last few books the Agatha Raisin series jumped the shark, but the earlier ones are definitely worth it!

by Anonymousreply 183January 18, 2020 8:03 PM

I'm currently reading "Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore" by Robin Sloan. It was recommended to me by a few people, and while I like the mysterious premise, it's still not fully grabbing me after 3 chapters. I hate not finishing a book, but to anyone who has read it, does it pick up?

by Anonymousreply 184January 18, 2020 8:46 PM

I bailed early on that one, R184.

by Anonymousreply 185January 18, 2020 8:50 PM

R184: It's an ok book and to be fair the only of that type that i didn't fully disliked. I can't stand To rise again at a decent hour (even i love the title)

by Anonymousreply 186January 18, 2020 8:53 PM

Alas, r182/ r183, there will be no more Agatha , the author died some days ago. I started reading her this year andthe books are addictive, not so much for the mystery but for her cringeworthy character. I tried the first Hamish Mcbeth, tjough, and thought it was really awful. Does it improve?

Am reading Dead Woman Walking, from Sharon Bolton. Her thrillers are flawed but always interesting. This one starts with a group in a hot balloon who witness a murder onthe ground and are actually chased and killed within the first 25 pages or so (except one). It is pulpy but unexpected.

by Anonymousreply 187January 19, 2020 1:00 AM

R186, I can't make heads or tails of your comment, but I looked up "To Rise Again At A Decent Hour" and it sounds rather good. I feel like anything shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize or an NBA finalist is probably worth a look. I may have to go search titles that have been nominated for those awards. I have continued a few more chapters into Penumbra, and it has gotten a bit more interesting. I wish somehow that there was a way to lighten the tone because I like the premise, but not the narrator.

by Anonymousreply 188January 19, 2020 5:17 PM

R188: If you think everything nominated to a big award is good it's that you just didn't read things like The idiot, Normal people or Exit West

by Anonymousreply 189January 19, 2020 5:23 PM

I just finished reading "The Innocents" by Michael Crummey. It's about two children whose parents die and the two of them have to do anything to survive by themselves on an island off the coast of Newfoundland. Watching the news this weekend about Newfoundland being walloped with a vicious snowstorm kind of reminded me of the story. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 190January 19, 2020 5:40 PM

R189. I see reading comprehension is not a skill of yours. Worth a look does not equate to being good. Any book nominated for those awards, however, must have at least a shred of merit. Whether or not I like them would be entirely subjective. While plenty of good books are not nominated for awards, looking at award listed books is a way of finding some good ones.

by Anonymousreply 191January 19, 2020 5:50 PM

Just finished "Life Isn"t Everything", an oral history of Mike Nichols's life and career. Inspiring and funny!

Just finishing the next Harlan Coban mystery, "The Boy From The Woods".

by Anonymousreply 192January 19, 2020 5:55 PM

R191: No, even if english is not my language my reading comprehension is perfectly ok. I use awards to find new books, and that's exactly the reason i can say that not everything nominated is worth the time you spend reading

by Anonymousreply 193January 19, 2020 6:02 PM

I rest my case.

by Anonymousreply 194January 19, 2020 6:13 PM

finished: "A Gentleman in Moscow" by Amor Towles "Mrs. Osmond" by John Banville (sequel to James's "Portrait of a Lady"

Up next: "Aturo's Island" by Elsa Morante, in new translation from the Italian

by Anonymousreply 195January 19, 2020 6:20 PM

I was looking through Anna May Wong's filmography and came across Java Head (1934), one of the few films from that era to portray a marriage between a white man and a Chinese woman; I saw that it was based on a 1918 novel of the same name by Joseph Hergesheimer, and so I looked at Amazon and discovered that the Kindle edition is free, so I downloaded it. I started reading today and am already 25% into it...so far, it's very good -- an interesting portrait of Salem, Mass., in the 1840s. Apparently, Hergesheimer was considered one of the "Great American Novelists" of the 10s and 20s, but was forgotten by the public by the time he died in 1954, though Wikipedia quotes Samuel Beckett as saying that Java Head was his favorite American novel.

by Anonymousreply 196January 20, 2020 6:15 AM

Cosmopolitan

by Anonymousreply 197January 20, 2020 9:32 AM

Denton Welch: "Maiden Voyage"

Sorta Evelyn Waughish inter-war novel, young brit runs away from private school and joins his father in China just before the Japanese invasion. gay undertones but nothing overt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198January 20, 2020 2:07 PM

I'm going to read Who killed my father by Edouard Louis. I don't know how he is able to generate controversy everytime, anyway this time Macron and his ministers gave him all the publicity he wanted and even more (even if he hates them)

by Anonymousreply 199January 20, 2020 6:05 PM

I've read Denton Welch's other two autobiographical novels : In Youth is Suffering and A Voice Through a Cloud as well as his journals. Oddly, it was John Updike who first brought Welch to my attention in an essay he wrote for The New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 200January 20, 2020 6:15 PM

I like Welch's gay-themes short story "When I Was Thirteen"

by Anonymousreply 201January 20, 2020 6:20 PM

The Uninhabitable Earth, and I love it

by Anonymousreply 202January 20, 2020 6:26 PM

I fell like all of Edouard Louis is poverty porn. Good for him for making a living on it - Especially in France. But feels a little like Hillbilly Elegy and the “honoring” of the horrible behavior of Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 203January 20, 2020 7:54 PM

R203: In his case it would be a little counterproductive given that he is clearly a leftist, but for sure he is quite ready to forgive homophobia when it comes from poor people.

To be honest, i think the guy is talented but it's time to embrace fiction and abandon his life as literary material. Maybe he could return to autofiction when he is older and make his own Lie to me like Philippe Bresson. He seems interested in a lot of themes, well, time to put them on paper and use an story to show them (whithout preaching if it's possible)

by Anonymousreply 204January 20, 2020 8:21 PM

The main reason Edouard Louis’ stories hold interest is they are supposedly autobiographical. The reality TV of modern writing.

by Anonymousreply 205January 20, 2020 8:37 PM

i'm reading Dexter in the Dark. i thought i'd dislike Dexter because it would be too bloody.... but, no its very funny. and i may have to read some more of them....

by Anonymousreply 206January 20, 2020 10:20 PM

Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje.

by Anonymousreply 207January 20, 2020 10:22 PM

I'm reading Little Women for the first time (I'm from the UK...)

Oh, my. It's so beautiful and sad. Like a teenager in the 1860s, I find myself getting weepy and emotional every few pages.

by Anonymousreply 208January 20, 2020 10:24 PM

I think you meant this, R200, which I posted in the "Gay Novels" Thread

Denton Welch: "In Youth Is Pleasure"

"A tender and fierce account of boyhood and nascent homosexual desire

First published in 1945, In Youth Is Pleasure is a beautiful and unassuming coming-of-age novel by the English writer and painter Denton Welch (1915–48). Painfully sensitive and sad Orville Pym is 15 years old, and this novel recounts the summer holiday after his first miserable year at private school―but as in all of Welch’s work, what is most important are the details of his characters’ surroundings. Welch is a Proustian writer of uncanny powers of observation who, as William S. Burroughs wrote, “makes the reader aware of the magic that is right under his eyes.”

Film director John Waters includes this novel as one of his “Five Books You Should Read to Live a Happy Life If Something Is Basically the Matter with You,” and writes: “Maybe there is no better novel in the world than Denton Welch’s In Youth Is Pleasure. Just holding it in my hands, so precious, so beyond gay, so deliciously subversive, is enough to make illiteracy a worse social crime than hunger.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209January 20, 2020 11:20 PM

Looking forward to reading Douglas Stuart's first novel, just released "Shuggie Bain".

Very much liked his possibly autobiographical short story, "Found Wanting" published in The New Yorker earlier this month.

I though about posting it in the gay lit thread but since it deals with a 17 year old's sexual initiation by a much older man, I knew it would be overrun with the resident DL pedo cockroaches

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210January 20, 2020 11:29 PM

Me too, r210. Posted as much in another thread. Loved the New Yorker story.

by Anonymousreply 211January 21, 2020 1:41 PM

What other four books besides the Welch are in that John Waters list?

by Anonymousreply 212January 21, 2020 1:59 PM

here

John Waters's Five Books You Should Read to Live a Happy Life If Something Is Basically the Matter with You

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213January 21, 2020 2:05 PM

A third thumbs-up for Stuart's "Found Wanting" in The New Yorker. I read it twice, something I rarely do.

Just finished RChernow's "Alexander Hamilton" (whew, it was a LOT, just like AH himself). Now going to finish up my second pass through Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin novels, then I've got Susan Orlean's "The Library Book" waiting for me.

by Anonymousreply 214January 21, 2020 6:41 PM

I have some trouble thinking We need to talk about Kevin will lead you to a happier life. Give that novel to a pregnant woman and she'll have nightmares for months

by Anonymousreply 215January 21, 2020 7:04 PM

Thanks for the list. The only one I can't get behind is the Jane Bowles. Maybe I should try again.

by Anonymousreply 216January 21, 2020 8:29 PM

possibly because it follows two upper class women into debauchery 80 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 217January 21, 2020 8:53 PM

I'm reading the Underground Railroad..so far it's really good

by Anonymousreply 218January 21, 2020 9:01 PM

R214, "The Library Book" is fascinating and well written. The story at its core is very compelling, but there are so many layers of library history and trivia that make it a big treat.

by Anonymousreply 219January 22, 2020 1:45 AM

Do y’all agree?

[quote]jordan.b.peterson Verified Reading for pleasure has always been a minority occupation. Most people don't read for pleasure. Of the people who read for pleasure, only a small proportion buy books. Of the people who buy books, only a small proportion buy difficult books. It's a specialty market.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220January 23, 2020 7:05 AM

Name a book you are reading or fuck off r220!

by Anonymousreply 221January 23, 2020 1:19 PM

I don't really get what is interesting or striking about Peterson's remark, r220. Sounds like a fairly banal observations. Anyway, I am off to the bookstore to buy the Douglas Stuart and Larry Kramer books.

by Anonymousreply 222January 23, 2020 3:35 PM

Well, i ended who killed my father and i liked it way more than expected, it's short but powerful, an attempt to understand a father who he had a very rocky relationship all his life. And the final part where he mentions all the politics and polititians who affected negatively his father's health is touching.

Now i'm reading Ross Raisin's A natural, and i'm loving it so far. I don't like soccer, but all around the sport is interesting, the fear of failing, watching what you expect a promising career sink, the toxic enviroment.

I'm really liking the fact that he doesn't skip one of the main character's wife, and she is a very interesting character, with her own insecurities and constant feeling of being out of place. Even when he shows gimpses of the other players you can see some fit the stereotype whie others are different

by Anonymousreply 223January 26, 2020 6:16 PM

I enjoyed A Natural, too, R223, and I like soccer. I thought he captured the grimy atmosphere of third-tier soccer -- miles away from the lights of the Premier League -- very well. It ends with a bit of a twist that in retrospect I should have seen coming from afar, so I liked that, too. I'd like to see someone try to take a crack at filming it.

by Anonymousreply 224January 26, 2020 8:35 PM

I just read What Does It Feel Like To Die? by Jennie Dear

S P O I L E R S

Most likely you won't feel anything as your brain will be shutting down. Don't worry about it.

by Anonymousreply 225January 26, 2020 9:00 PM

Just finished Denton Welch's In Youth Is Pleasure. Thanks to DL for reminding me. Fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 226January 27, 2020 1:25 AM

if you're a soccer (football) fan, read Philip Kerr's trilogy with Scott Manson.... learned more than i ever wnated to know about football and payers. but enjoyed the stories very much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227January 27, 2020 2:23 AM

you're welcome R226

by Anonymousreply 228January 27, 2020 3:14 PM

I’m going to read Moby Dick over the next four days - I aim to finish it by Monday morning.

The audiobook is 21 hours long and I am a fairly fast reader at roughly 450-500/minute so even given breaks I should finish it quite easily.

by Anonymousreply 229January 29, 2020 11:50 AM

Reading all of Dostoevsky's novels. Right now at the Idiot. I am not Boris, the Russian troll.

by Anonymousreply 230January 29, 2020 11:58 AM

I just finished reading "Olive, Again," by Elizabeth Strout and totally loved it. I had really enjoyed her earlier novel "Olive Kitteridge" and was somewhat afraid that the sequel would be disappointing but it wasn't. If anything, the sequel is even better. And now I want to read her earlier novel "The Burgess Boys."

by Anonymousreply 231January 29, 2020 2:39 PM

I'm trying to get through the last 1/3 of Paul Theroux's [italic]The Last Train to Zona Verde[/italic], but it's really proving a slog.

by Anonymousreply 232February 10, 2020 12:31 AM

I’m reading Catcher In The Rye for the first time.

Just brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 233February 10, 2020 7:09 PM

Rereading Howards End for the third (?) time after watching the Kenneth Lonergan version on PBS.

by Anonymousreply 234February 10, 2020 7:24 PM

Just finished Helen Dunmore’s EXPOSURE. Literate page-turner with some spies and gay stuff.

by Anonymousreply 235February 11, 2020 1:00 AM

"arturo's island" by elsa morante in new translation from the italian. raging adolescent hormones on an island in the bay of naples

by Anonymousreply 236February 11, 2020 1:18 AM

Re-reading 'Wolf Hall' and 'Bring Up The Bodies' in anticipation of the final Cromwell novel's release next month.

by Anonymousreply 237February 12, 2020 12:40 PM

Just discovered Irish mystery/thriller writer John Connolly and his thoroughly enjoyable Charlie Parker series. Parker is American from Maine, his off-siders who figure prominently in the series are a gay couple, Louis and Angel. Dry, witty, funny, serious, thought-provoking, more social commentary and personal interaction that who dunnit. It's best to start with the earlier books and work your way through in order. A delightful read!

by Anonymousreply 238February 12, 2020 1:08 PM

I just finished reading "Cleanness" by Garth Greenwell. I was disappointed -- it's not nearly as good as his debut novel, "What Belongs to You."

by Anonymousreply 239February 12, 2020 1:23 PM

Has anyone read NIGHTS IN BERLIN by Janice Law? Detective series starring a young and slutty (he even does his uncle) Francis Bacon in prewar Berlin. Not great but diverting and not frauish.

by Anonymousreply 240February 12, 2020 1:33 PM

The Iranian Plot by J McClintock. It’s a political thriller involving the FBI, a white nationalist group & a dirty bomb.

by Anonymousreply 241February 12, 2020 3:42 PM

R238: I really like John Connolly novels. There's a mix of noir and horror, and his villains are always terrifying. I'm going to read The Unquiet this month

by Anonymousreply 242February 12, 2020 6:10 PM

R239: I enjoyed the Greenwell story that was excerpted in The New Yorker awhile back about the narrator-teacher out for a drunken night of clubbing with his students, which juuuust avoided squickiness.

by Anonymousreply 243February 12, 2020 6:25 PM

I am very excited to start THE BIG GOODBYE: Chinatown and the Last Years of Hollywood by Sam Wasson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244February 13, 2020 7:35 AM

I finished Cleanness last night.

Greenwood said he wanted the book to be as close to pornography as one could make serious literature. The two chapters/stories that are focused on sexual interactions - particularly the earlier one - are almost shocking in their language, detail and what occurs sexually.

I may be a prude but I can’t imagine a straight person or a lesbian getting through those two stories.

by Anonymousreply 245February 13, 2020 5:30 PM

A Double Life by Flynn Berry. It's inspired by the Lord Lucan case.

by Anonymousreply 246February 13, 2020 5:38 PM

I ended Ross Raisin's A natural (which is a great novel) and i'm in the middle of Daisy Jones and The Six

by Anonymousreply 247February 15, 2020 12:03 PM

HBO is going to release in May the tv version of Fernando Aramburu's Patria (Homeland). The novel was absolutely huge in Spain in 2016, so i was searching for international reviews, i knew it was well received in Italy (where it received an award) but i was particularly interested in the USA. Most of the reviews i watched were very positive (in fact it made the best of the year list in a newspaper) including a star review on Kirkus but i was surprised by the incredibly bad review on the New York Times. The novel was controversial in Spain, because it was considered a taboo theme for a novel till recently, and it has it's detractors, from the ones who don't like Aramburu's writing style to the ones who think he didn't treat the theme correctly (i had mixed feelings when i read it, and if i have to recomend a foreign only one spanish novel of the last 20 years to read it would be Crematorio by Rafael Chirbes) but i was surprised by the incredibly poor review of the NYT.

And when i say poor, i'm not saying negative, one can write a negative review and even if you don't agree you are able to see the point of the critic, but that was not the case. The critic started with the style, i don't have nothing to say about, it's a question of taste and i don't remember being particularly impressed by the writer's skills, but then go to say that the novel doesn't treat equally the victim and the terrorists which is a disturbing point of view (i never read someone complaining that the nazis and the jews were not treated equally on a II world war novel) and is exactly the same people linked to ETA claimed here. That point of view doesn't hold a close view, Miren, the mother of the terrorist is a very unpleasant character, she is narrow minded and harsh, but curiously, she has both things in common with Bittori who is the victim's wife. Arantxa who is the killer's sister is probably the most sympathetic character on the whole novel, and Gorka (who is his brother) is a sympathetic character too (both are way more interesting than the victim's son and daughter).

Then he points that a lot of characters suffer some illness. I saw that point on forums too, and i find it ridiculous, the novel develops on a time span of 40 years, so yes, with time most characters have medical problems and that's only realistic.

Then accuses the novel of not going into the heart of the conflict, and i found that incredibly blind, because the Basque conflict is not the theme of the novel but how that conflict was able to separate childhood friends and made them enemies, how you should not react to your feelings only to survive and how the fear installed on a society.

But the worst point is that he accused the novel to be boring, and i'm sorry but you don't sell over a million in Spain with a boring novel, in fact the novel is pretty addictive. Unlike Creamatorio (or En la orilla, which is published in english with the title of On the edge), Patria is a very easy novel to read, and a page turner

by Anonymousreply 248February 15, 2020 12:20 PM

Someone read American dirt? it's on the news constantly, there's nothing like controversy to spark interest

by Anonymousreply 249February 15, 2020 12:21 PM

I can’t speak to AMERICAN DIRT’s authenticity but it’s otherwise a standard woman on the run from bad guys novel, and that aspect is pretty good. The characters are flat but the pace is good albeit interrupted by passages of Writing that made me roll my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 250February 15, 2020 4:18 PM

I am looking for ideas from Harold Bloom's Western Canon Appendix D: The Chaotic Age. There's actually a lot of shit on it, but additionally some pleasant surprises.

by Anonymousreply 251February 16, 2020 2:07 AM

In 1933 JB Priestley wrote a book about his travels through England; in 1983 the BBC filmed a footsteps travel through roughly the same itinerary featuring writer Beryl Bainbridge.

Currently reading her book about the experience [italic]English Journey[/italic]. My God - what a hoot! If you're not familiar with her as a writer, I can highly recommend her novellas [italic]Injury Time[/italic] and [italic]The Girl in the Polka Dot Dress[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 252February 16, 2020 3:00 AM

Injury Time is wonderful, r252, I actually laughed at a rape scene. Most of her books are great, she is truly original.

by Anonymousreply 253February 16, 2020 11:42 AM

I picked up [italic]I Saw Three Ships[/italic] by Bill Richardson, Christmas short stories from Vancouver's queer enclave of the West End. [italic]I Saw Three Ships[/italic] was published very late 2019, being a seasonal read, and is very popular here in Vancouver. (No, I have not met Bill Richardson.)

by Anonymousreply 254February 16, 2020 4:24 PM

Such a harmless name of the thread, and here come the mess(

Jerome K. Jerome "Novels".

One of my biggest passion is reading. If I like the author, only after reading all his/her work can I calm down. And I found that not world-famous pices are better in majority of cases. Like with Nabokov, Evelyn Waugh, Martti Larni etc.

by Anonymousreply 255February 16, 2020 5:58 PM

When will there be good news, from Kate Atkinson. Unlike popular opinion I don’t love her Jackson Brodrie novels and this one just confirmed it.

Also, Poor Miss Finch, based on a recommendation from an earlier tnread. I liveWillkie Collins but so far not very excited about this one.

by Anonymousreply 256February 16, 2020 9:37 PM

I'm reading Cleanness right now. I'm at the part where he is being sexually humiliated. It just goes on and on. I hope it gets better. I have Night in Berlin on my bed stand as well.

by Anonymousreply 257February 17, 2020 12:18 PM

Just finishing "A Very Stable Genius" (nothing much I didn't know); just finished "Interior Chinatown" by Charles Yu (funny and insightful look at life as an Asian-American); recently finished "Dear Edward" which was interesting, sad and hopeful. I got through "Cleanness" and it was just sort of meh.

by Anonymousreply 258February 17, 2020 12:48 PM

I remember when Greenwell released What belongs to you i find difficult to understand why the critics wents crazy, the plot seemed an indie film of the 90's. Of course the writting is really good (in fact i heard a lot of young writers saying how much they love Greenwell's writting). I had trouble with the first part of the novel (where it's all the sex) and i loved the rest.

The line of beauty made gay sex respectable as literature, not only to gay readers

by Anonymousreply 259February 17, 2020 1:34 PM

I’ve read all or almost all of what would be considered the best gay themed novels in the last generation including every Alan Hollinghurst and both Garth Greenwells. I think The Line of Beauty is the very best of them all.

by Anonymousreply 260February 17, 2020 2:08 PM

Agree R260. Line of Beauty is possibly the best gay novel. Also captures a time and place I experienced. But I think the writing and story are superb. Unfortunately I saw the BBC TV movie of it - which ruined it by putting inappropriate faces to the characters that now stick with me when I read it.

by Anonymousreply 261February 17, 2020 4:50 PM

Oh and just finished "A Very Stable Genius". It affirms what I knew already about this administration that they are incompetent and corrupt as all hell.

by Anonymousreply 262February 17, 2020 5:57 PM

R256

I was the one who recommended Poor Miss Finch. To me, I found it a hilarious farce, but perhaps that comes through better as the LibriVox audio Edition? Sorry if I misled you.

by Anonymousreply 263February 19, 2020 6:31 PM

I took a cue from R237 and am re-reading Hilary Mantel's Bring Up the Bodies in advance of the release of The Mirror and the Light next month. Thanks for the tip, SylviaFowler!

by Anonymousreply 264February 19, 2020 6:38 PM

[italic]I Saw Three Ships[/italic] is Elegiac beyond my expectations. I should have looked at the back cover: "characters from various walks of life whose experience of transcendence leaves them more alienated than consoled," and should not have picked this up on a week of family grief commemoration.

by Anonymousreply 265February 19, 2020 6:44 PM

I liked The Line of Beauty very much, but The Swimming Pool Library, Hollinghurst's first is still my favorite

by Anonymousreply 266February 20, 2020 5:27 PM

I just started this one. It's a gay-themed historical novel set in 1810 England. I'm only about 40 pages in, but it's decent so far.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267February 20, 2020 6:43 PM

Paul Takes the Form of a Mortal Girl by Andrea Lawlor, about a gender shapeshifter early 20 something in early 90s America.

Gets a little stuck with pop culture references (naming names but not what made them interesting). More a nostalgia trip with some interesting insight into identity. The shapeshifter and jock on acid scene is great.

by Anonymousreply 268February 20, 2020 7:00 PM

Jumps right into the ending of Bring up the Bodies. Excited after reading the extract--it's like as if I just finished BUTB, not just in timeline but in tone and character. Hard to believe the 2nd book was published 8 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269February 22, 2020 4:02 PM

Damn you, R269! I don't want to be tempted to peek at the extract.

by Anonymousreply 270February 22, 2020 4:22 PM

I read Gone Girl (good but not great) and The Girl on the Train (disappointing) last week and I'm about to read The Silent Patient to keep with my unstable female-focused thrillers.

by Anonymousreply 271February 22, 2020 4:29 PM

I've started [italic]French Exit[/italic], but the mother-son main characters are unlikeable which isn't helping. Blurbs indicate a possible worthwhile payoff.

by Anonymousreply 272February 22, 2020 4:47 PM

The Pit by Frank Norris; it's good, but not as good as McTeague and The Octopus.

by Anonymousreply 273February 22, 2020 4:48 PM

R263, by all means, I love Wilkie Collins, it is jusy more difficult getting started than I expected. When finished i will tell what i think.

French Exit is great, very original and the title is a spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 274February 22, 2020 10:00 PM

My favourite Wilkie Collins is The Moonstone.

by Anonymousreply 275February 22, 2020 11:11 PM

The guys in Armadale act so much like a gay couple that if requires some suspension of disbelief to proceed with the idea that such isn't so.

by Anonymousreply 276February 22, 2020 11:30 PM

Yes, r276, it is actually distracting, that is a porn story waiting to happen

by Anonymousreply 277February 22, 2020 11:35 PM

i pulled a book off my shelves that i'd bought about 40 years ago, and never read. "Alice in La-La Land" by Robert Campbell. set in Hollywood in the 60s, gay bars, street walkers (male, female and whatever) kinky characters and a good mystery. very noir. am currently searching for the other La-La Land books by the author. (at lest 3 exist)

by Anonymousreply 278February 23, 2020 5:19 PM

[quote]George P. Pelecanos. just discovered his writing. so damn good. no gay, but lots of straight men falling in love with other straight men.

Interesting interpretation, r173. I've always felt a lot of love among Pelecanos' characters. Never quite saw it in terms of falling in love, but...

I'm about to start rereading The Sweet Forever. I'm working my way through all of his books chronologically. Needless to say, I'll be looking at it from the "straight men falling in love with other straight men" perspective.

by Anonymousreply 279February 23, 2020 6:14 PM

r279 what i meant by "love", Strange keeps picking up men in trouble and taking them under his wing. feep friendships develop.

and yes, i'm damn mad at Pelecanos' twiest in the 3rd strange book!

by Anonymousreply 280February 23, 2020 10:47 PM

[quote]i'm damn mad at Pelecanos' twist in the 3rd strange book

Soul Circus, r280?

by Anonymousreply 281February 23, 2020 11:03 PM

yes r281

by Anonymousreply 282February 24, 2020 3:11 PM

I ended A Natural and it's great (and i don't even like soccer).

Now i'm going to read On earth we're briefly gorgeous or Incredibly loud and extremely close

by Anonymousreply 283February 26, 2020 6:39 PM

Furious Hours, about Harper Lee and the "lost" book she may or may not have written. Fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 284March 1, 2020 2:10 PM

OP here and only 10 chapters in but I am absolutely LOVING Moby Dick - it's funny and vibrant and weird and completely homoromatic which I wasn't expecting.

by Anonymousreply 285March 1, 2020 4:20 PM

Well, I found the writing in [italic]French Exit[/italic] high enough quality, but the story itself not so much. If I had a do-over, I wouldn't read it again, not particularly recommended. Husband reincarnated as the cat was probably the best part (not really a spoiler).

Looking forward to Ottessa Mossfegh's new book [italic]Death in Her Hands[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 286March 2, 2020 6:46 PM

I have a thing with Ottessa Mossfegh, i don't really loved any of her novels (even i liked My year of rest and relaxation way more than Eileen) but i'm always in the mood for something new of her. It's like i know sooner or later she will serve a novel that i will love unconditionally

by Anonymousreply 287March 2, 2020 6:58 PM

I am reading John Niven's [italic]Second Coming[/italic], in which hippie-slacker Jesus gets booted down to Earth by his Old Man, who returned from a 300-year fishing trip, to remind the post-Industrial Revolution populace that genocides, mutilations, sociopathic Peak Capitalism are no-nos and the main message, perverted by religions, is still to be nice to each other. Jesus becomes a musician eager for global fame but his antagonist is a Simon Cowell type character. God loves the gays and has several of them as office managers.

Reading it this week, I was amused to find a cell in Hell being prepped, with LIMBA so far etched on one cage door. I also found the following on page 53 of the paperback edition:

[italic] Flush it down the toilet and start again.[/italic]

Easily done. Up the sun's temperature by just a handful of degrees, nudge its orbit just a fraction closer, and it was all over down there in a few years. Throw another meteorite their way. Something just the size of Belgium -- of fucking Manchester - would probably do the trick. Boom. Say hello to my leetle fren. A virus. He had samples in the lab He'd been scared to even get out the Petri dish: stuff that made AIDS look like a head cold, made Ebola look about as infectious as an indie B-side. A few grams of that into the water supply and mainland Europe would look like the third reel of a fucking zombie movie inside a month.

It's fluff with a lot of nonsense, but I'm enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 288March 2, 2020 7:03 PM

whoever recommended John Connolly up thread. thank you. am so enjoying "Every Dead Thing" and plan to work my way thru the huge list of books featuring Bird.

by Anonymousreply 289March 2, 2020 8:20 PM

R288, thanks for posting. It's right up my alley.

by Anonymousreply 290March 2, 2020 11:50 PM

I'm listening to [italic]The Road to Oxiana[/italic] by Robert Byron, his travels through the Middle East in the 1930s. The narrator likely aimed for "posh", but the author comes off as quite the effete prisspot!

by Anonymousreply 291March 7, 2020 3:22 AM

I just finished The Big Goodbye by Sam Wasson about the filming of Chinatown. It’s a fantastic subject, of course, but Wasson is a careless, mediocre writer. He writes that Cabaret beat The Godfather for Best Picture at the Oscars, which isn’t true.

by Anonymousreply 292March 8, 2020 1:16 PM

I read In Youth Is Pleasure by Denton Welch, thanks to recommendations at DL (and I believe on this thread). It’s a wonderful read and actually quite daring. I’m going to read the author’s other works as well.

by Anonymousreply 293March 11, 2020 1:57 AM

Managed to score a signed copy of Hilary Mantel's The Mirror and the Light yesterday. Can't wait to get back to Thomas Cromwell, but first I have to finish the book I'm currently reading, as I am a toddler and can only handle one book at a time.

by Anonymousreply 294March 11, 2020 5:59 PM

Received my copy of Mirror & the Light yesterday, will be starting tonight!

by Anonymousreply 295March 11, 2020 6:39 PM

I just finished reading The Bible in Spain by George Borrow. I always wondered why a book published in 1843 with such an off-putting title (at least to modern tastes) should become a best seller, go through many editions, and remain in print to this day. Borrow is a fine writer and creates vivid character sketches of both the humans he encounters and the horses and mules he uses as his transport during his journeys through the length and breadth of the Iberian Peninsula flogging his Spanish translation of the New Testament. He even meets an American plantation owner from South Carolina while staying in Gibraltar who extols the merits of flogging as a way of keeping slaves in line.

by Anonymousreply 296March 11, 2020 8:20 PM

Just into the first 50 of GREAT BELIEVERS, Enjoying it, but not overwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 297March 12, 2020 1:21 AM

I thought with all the cancellation of events, festivals and public spaces, there would be more reading!

I've just finished reading 'Tell Me When This Ends Well' by David Samuel Levinson. A family saga, in the vein of Franzen, a Jewish family gathers for Passover in LA, during a time of rising anti-Semitism in the US (after Israel is dissolved). Not a spoiler, but the offspring contemplate killing their father. Interesting reading, it all comes together in the end, each long chapter is from the perspective of each family member.

About to start 'Wake In Fright' by Kenneth Cook, classic Australian short novel about one man's decline in a backwards Australian Outback town. Was made into a film of the same name that was almost lost (surviving film reels almost destroyed) - I think the film was released as 'Outback' in foreign markets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298March 13, 2020 9:42 AM

Madame Bovary.

by Anonymousreply 299March 13, 2020 5:20 PM

The Mirror and the Light by Hillary Mantel

3rd book in trilogy about Thomas Cromwell

I have waited 6 years for this book.

Hillary will make history and get her third Booker for Mirror and Light (she won for the previous books in the trilogy).

by Anonymousreply 300March 13, 2020 6:54 PM

r300, not if David Mendelsohn has anything to say about it. His review in the New Yorker was pretty brutal.

by Anonymousreply 301March 14, 2020 4:24 PM

In honor of current events, I'm reading A Journal of the Plague Year by Daniel Defoe.

by Anonymousreply 302March 14, 2020 4:27 PM

[quote]i'm damn mad at Pelecanos' twist in the 3rd strange book!

r280 I take it you're referring to the last thing that happens in the book, when Derek takes Nick Stefanos with him to Virginia.

Why did it make you "damn mad"? It seemed logical enough.

by Anonymousreply 303March 14, 2020 4:57 PM

[quote] [R300], not if David Mendelsohn has anything to say about it. His review in the New Yorker was pretty brutal.

I never trust him for reviews. I've known him for years. He's very smart, but he takes pleasure in being a real bitch.

by Anonymousreply 304March 14, 2020 5:00 PM

Bill Bryson's [italic]A Short History of Nearly Everthing[/italic]

Mortimer Adler's [italic]How to Read a Book[/italic]

and Agatha Christie's [italic]A Pocketful of Rye[/italic]

We'll see how many pages one week of isolation can cover

by Anonymousreply 305March 14, 2020 5:53 PM

Me, too, r244. It's simply one of the greatest films of all time. An astounding accomplishment, that enriches with repeated viewings (literally scores for me).

Am also in the middle of THE SHAKESPEARE WARS by Ron Rosenbaum. I thought it would be some dry, dusty account of academic squabbling that I'd skim in a day, but it is an absolutely fascinating read, yielding nuggets of insights and information on every page.

by Anonymousreply 306March 14, 2020 6:05 PM

R301: The power of critics was reduced a lot in the last decade, and frankly the Booker jury probably couldn't care less about what an american critic has to say.

Anyway, a third win is a very low possibility. I remember that the odds weren't in Bring back the bodies favour back then because people thought that a second part of an already awarded novel couldn't win

by Anonymousreply 307March 14, 2020 6:44 PM

I'm reading Extremely lous and incredibly close but it's not my cup of tea so i started Willa Cather's My Ántonia

by Anonymousreply 308March 14, 2020 6:46 PM

HA! R181

MY LOCAL LIBRARY JUST CLOSED FOR WEEKS. damn virus! i only have 5 books to last me during that time. talk about virus hardship!

by Anonymousreply 309March 14, 2020 7:14 PM

r309 get an account at archive dot org, The Internet Library

by Anonymousreply 310March 14, 2020 9:41 PM

Liked French Exit but the last third kind of lost it's way..reading Nights in Berlin now...pretty good

by Anonymousreply 311March 18, 2020 4:31 PM

If you haven't read a Gentleman In Moscow ...it's very appropriate. A man imprisoned in a grand hotel.

by Anonymousreply 312March 18, 2020 4:31 PM

The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein, of course.

by Anonymousreply 313March 18, 2020 4:51 PM

R299 Have you tried The Red and the Black, by Stendhal?

by Anonymousreply 314March 18, 2020 4:56 PM

R266 I loved The Swimming Pool Library. It's extraordinarily well-written and the story even seems to transcend the writing, if that were possible.

by Anonymousreply 315March 18, 2020 4:59 PM

There isn't much blue in THE RED AND THE BLACK, r314.

by Anonymousreply 316March 18, 2020 5:14 PM

I am simultaneously reading French and English translations of The Brothers Karamazov. Plus listening to audio versions of same. The French audio is with Garel and is good. The English audio is the laughable original translation by Constance Garnett, but the performance by Constantine Gregory is very entertaining, and it's in the public domaine I think, and my library had a copy. My book is the Andrew R. MacAndrew translation. So it's fun to listen to all the different ways, and it's helpful particularly for the audio because the story is dense and repeat listening of early chapters helps me digest the important details that make the story resonate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317March 18, 2020 5:18 PM

My hat is off to you, R317. Coming at a book from a few different angles is an interesting idea. I don't have that sort of discipline. I am reading "Becoming" by Michelle Obama, which must have been talked about before, but I am amazed at how down to earth she comes across. It only reinforces my deep sadness for a First family that had a good impact on the country.

by Anonymousreply 318March 22, 2020 2:26 AM

My church has an LGBTQ book club. We just finished reading LESS by Andrew Sean Greer, previously we read SOUTHERNMOST, we are now reading SALVATION ARMY by Abdellah Taia.

Outside of the book club (and because coronavirus has us staying at home), I've been listening to audiobooks about the DUNKIRK evacuation and an espionage novel called NEED TO KNOW by Karen Cleveland.

by Anonymousreply 319March 22, 2020 2:33 AM

"Contagion" just to torture myself.

by Anonymousreply 320March 22, 2020 3:10 AM

Blood Meridian--not exactly a feel-good, but the writing is brilliant and the topic shows people at their worst, so ideal for this moment in Trumpovid Times.

by Anonymousreply 321March 22, 2020 3:10 AM

with a heart breaking for Italy (yeah, I know, we'll be the same in two weeks) reading "The Figures of Beauty" by David Macfarlane, about Carrara and its marble.

by Anonymousreply 322March 22, 2020 3:18 AM

I'm reading My Ántonia by Willa Cather, and i'm going to read Robin Hobb's Assasin aprentice (because i think fantasy probably is the best to avoid reality right now)

by Anonymousreply 323March 22, 2020 11:15 AM

R320, check out OUTBREAK by Robin Cook. Freaky!

Or EYES OF DARKNESS by Dean Koontz about a fictional virus/bioweapon known as "Wuhan-400," which started in China.

by Anonymousreply 324March 22, 2020 9:49 PM

Ironically, when I checked a few weeks ago, EYES OF DARKNESS did not appear to be currently in print.

by Anonymousreply 325March 22, 2020 10:13 PM

Currently enjoying HMantel's The Mirror and The Light, the third/final book in her Wolf Hall series about Thomas Cromwell, Henry VIII's consigliere. (Someone needs to slap Princess Mary.) The few reviews I've read of it all praised it but said it's too long; I might possibly agree a bit, but I'm happy to live in her vision of that world.

by Anonymousreply 326March 23, 2020 7:57 PM

Maybe i use this situation to finally read Wolf Hall (which is waiting on the shelf for years)

by Anonymousreply 327March 23, 2020 8:29 PM

R326 Me too. Not finding it too long at all, as I'll be bereft when it ends. I wonder if we'll get another BBC adaptation?

by Anonymousreply 328March 23, 2020 8:33 PM

i'm enjoying the "Charlie Parker" rabbit hole. on book 4 now. Connolly tells a great story. and i so enjoy the gay criminals!

by Anonymousreply 329March 23, 2020 8:33 PM

740 Park: the story of the world's richest apartment building by Michael Gross, as recommended by someone here. I'm reading maybe ten pages a day, so this should last a while. Lifestyles and machinations of the rich and eccentric, the rich and idiotic, etc. I can't claim to keep all these genealogies straight in my head, but the interconnectedness of the top 5% in the late 20s through 40s is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 330March 23, 2020 8:34 PM

Good point about Gentleman in Moscow . I had not thought of that - but it is the perfect book for the quarantine. Talk about good timing. I didn’t love it - but in retrospect, a good example of how to be happy even in a cage.

by Anonymousreply 331March 23, 2020 8:34 PM

R329 Angel and Louis always bring a little fun to the stories (not that Louis is exactly the life of the party himself)

by Anonymousreply 332March 23, 2020 8:35 PM

There'd BETTER be a BBC adaptation of The MIrror and The Light, SylviaFowler! They can write the screenplay now during quarantine and hit the ground filming when it lifts. (I don't think any of the principle cast members have passed away... yet... gulp.) Side note: I watched the last two episodes as a quick catch-up before starting the third book and had totally forgotten that Tom Holland plays Gregory Cromwell.

by Anonymousreply 333March 23, 2020 8:48 PM

Downloaded 740 Park--need something decadent.

by Anonymousreply 334March 23, 2020 9:16 PM

R333 As much as I loved the BBC adaptation, in my mind's eye I always pictured Wolsey as Orson Welles (as per A Man For All Seasons) and Oliver Reed as Cromwell. I love Rylance, but he lacks that bulldoggish, street-fighter heft that Cromwell is meant to have.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335March 23, 2020 9:19 PM

R301 The British reviewers disagree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336March 23, 2020 9:56 PM

I took a bag of books to my neighborhood Little Free Library today and then snagged a copy of The Overstory by Richard Powers. Anyone here read it?

by Anonymousreply 337March 23, 2020 11:35 PM

I read the Overstory last month and enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 338March 23, 2020 11:40 PM

I think Mantel has said that there will be a stage adaptation first; she's writing it with Ben Miles for the RSC.

by Anonymousreply 339March 24, 2020 12:21 AM

And if it's as pedestrian as that earlier stage incarnation, no thanks.

by Anonymousreply 340March 24, 2020 12:55 AM

R337: It's a very good novel. Some parts are really great (the first part of the novel works perfectly as a great short story colection)

by Anonymousreply 341March 24, 2020 8:05 PM

Paolo Giordano recomended (in an El País article with a lot of writers recommending books for the quarantine) My year of rest and relaxation, and it seems pefect for this time. Nothing like spend your whole time drunk and drugged to make the quarantine look way shorter

by Anonymousreply 342March 26, 2020 2:47 PM

Anybody reading the Glass Hotel or Mandel's other book Station Eleven?

by Anonymousreply 343March 26, 2020 4:33 PM

I loved Station eleven when i read it some years ago but probably this is not the best time to read a distopy that starts with a lot of deaths provoked but a virus similar to the flu

by Anonymousreply 344March 26, 2020 7:23 PM

I'm running out of reading material and I have Lawrence Durrell's "Justine" on my shelf. Worth a go?

by Anonymousreply 345March 30, 2020 2:21 AM

Lisa See - The Sea Women, about female Korean divers and their matriarchal society

by Anonymousreply 346March 30, 2020 2:23 AM

Listening to Joe Ide's High-five, book #4 in his IQ series. Less than an hour in but enjoying the reunion with IQ and his Long Beach neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 347March 30, 2020 3:13 AM

Recent events have meant that THIS is the time I finally finish Ulysses!!!

by Anonymousreply 348March 30, 2020 3:14 AM

New topic suggestion; "What Challenging Tomes Have You Finished During the Great Confinement?"

by Anonymousreply 349March 30, 2020 3:46 AM

The Moviegoer by Walker Percy. Halfway through and not loving it.

by Anonymousreply 350March 30, 2020 4:00 AM

R349: To be honest, i'm not sure if something challenging is the best thing for these times. At least not for me.

I'm reading Heaven and earth by Paolo Giordano. I really liked The solitude of prime numbers (which was a huge success in Europe more than a decade ago) and wanted to read his new novel

by Anonymousreply 351March 30, 2020 1:42 PM

I just finished The Other Americans by Laila Lalami. I enjoyed it but could predict the plot twists too easily.

I’ve started Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk based on recommendations on this thread. I am loving it 20% in.

I will re-recommend Ladder to the Sky by John Boyne. I have close to 100% certainty that everyone will really like this book.

by Anonymousreply 352March 30, 2020 1:50 PM

I did enjoy the Boyne, without thinking it was particularly distinguished.

by Anonymousreply 353March 30, 2020 2:31 PM

[quote]I'm running out of reading material and I have Lawrence Durrell's "Justine" on my shelf. Worth a go?

Well, it's worth trying because it's part of a classic series. I read the quartet years and years ago, so I can only remember generalities. Loved the intrigue. Durrell did a good job with revealing the story in layers with small reveals here and there as you see the story from different perspectives. I can remember not being thrilled with the resolution of the story, but was glad to have finished the books to know how things turned out.

by Anonymousreply 354March 30, 2020 3:45 PM

Drew Droege (DL fave "Chloe") just posted an Instagram raving about "At Danceteria and Other Stories." It's been recommended on a couple of these book threads in the past:

"Loved this collection of fantasies on the dance floor- vividly imagined private conversations between public figures like Halston, Keith Haring, Sylvester, Rock Hudson, Jackie O... beautiful job @flipp525"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355March 30, 2020 6:55 PM

R345, Justine is best when you’re high. Or feverish.

by Anonymousreply 356March 31, 2020 11:45 AM

Oh, the mighty Ondine Spragg - I am massively into Edith Wharton at the moment.

Any recommendations for nonfiction books about the Gilded Age?

by Anonymousreply 357April 3, 2020 5:54 PM

Wharton's bio by Hermione Lee is a good place to start.

by Anonymousreply 358April 3, 2020 6:40 PM

I read The Devil in the White City by Eric Larson a few years back. It centers on the 1893 Columbian Expo in Chicago. It's dark in places so I don't think I could stomach it at present.

by Anonymousreply 359April 3, 2020 10:47 PM

This

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360April 3, 2020 11:00 PM

and this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361April 3, 2020 11:01 PM

R345 Yes, but you must read the entire Alexandria Quartet in order to get the differing perspectives on the events that take place in Justine.

by Anonymousreply 362April 3, 2020 11:41 PM

Night Terrors: The Ghost Stories of E.F Benson.

by Anonymousreply 363April 3, 2020 11:57 PM

I enjoyed Faye's memoir. Honest and well-written.

by Anonymousreply 364April 4, 2020 4:35 AM

The Art of the Deal

by Anonymousreply 365April 5, 2020 5:04 AM

Pretty much anything by John Boyne. Very readable with good stories and great writing.

by Anonymousreply 366April 5, 2020 5:22 AM

[quote] I don't enjoy DeLillo,

I'm just reading DeLillo's "Mao II," or rather, I've limped through the first one-third of it. People have recommended him to me before, and Amazon's rather aggressive internet algorithim has suggested his books to me before. I'm not feeling his writing in this book. Very stream of consciousness that goes nowhere. Is his other stuff better?

by Anonymousreply 367April 5, 2020 9:38 PM

*algorithm

by Anonymousreply 368April 5, 2020 9:38 PM

R367, Underworld is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 369April 5, 2020 9:41 PM

I was thinking about Don Delillo the other day. Remembering the how much the unnamed 'event' in White Noise is reminiscent of Covid-19.

by Anonymousreply 370April 5, 2020 10:12 PM

R369, thanks for the recommendation. I will give him another shot. Meanwhile, I'm determined to finish Mao II. I hope it gets better.

by Anonymousreply 371April 5, 2020 11:32 PM

The only DeLillo book I've managed to get through is the Oswald fever dream (Is the title White Noise? Too drunk to look it up).

by Anonymousreply 372April 6, 2020 12:02 AM

Libra, r372.

by Anonymousreply 373April 6, 2020 1:31 PM

Mysteries. Lately Phillip Margolin. Well-constructed mysteries that (mostly) take place in Portland, OR. The Amanda Jaffe series is where I started.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374April 6, 2020 1:44 PM

I only read Cosmopollis and i liked the style but the story is pretty lame. DeLillo is one of those writers i said i will give another opportunity when i read it the first time but the second never came (at least till now).

I started On earth we're briefly gorgeous, which is probably one of the most successful gay novels in recent years. I don't know if it was hyped but i was surprised that the first novel of a gay poet did so well on the bestsellers list of the NYT

by Anonymousreply 375April 6, 2020 2:10 PM

Just finished "The Mirror & The Light." Gutted. I'm glad I went back and re-read the first two, it lent that much more emotional heft to the end.

by Anonymousreply 376April 7, 2020 7:57 PM

If you're interested in ye olde sodomy trials

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377April 8, 2020 2:04 AM

R306 if you like his writing style, try a collection of his longform non-fiction articles, The Secret Part of Fortune or Travels with Dr Death. He has another one about Doomsday scenarios during the Cold War-I think it's called How the End Begins.

by Anonymousreply 378April 9, 2020 10:53 AM

Finished Shuggie Bain. Loved it. Incredibly moving.

by Anonymousreply 379April 11, 2020 10:39 PM

Really good thread

by Anonymousreply 380April 11, 2020 10:42 PM

Doris Lessing's Shikasta series, the first book.

Strange. At times brilliant, at times boring.

by Anonymousreply 381April 11, 2020 10:49 PM

Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. Magic swirls around Skull & Bones!

by Anonymousreply 382April 11, 2020 11:12 PM

Katabasis by Brassey, Moo, Teppo and Trim - This is in the Mongoliad series. It's okay, but only for fans. I do like learning tidbits about the orders of religious knights post Crusades.

by Anonymousreply 383April 11, 2020 11:32 PM

Reading is for sissies and the liberal elites!

by Anonymousreply 384April 11, 2020 11:56 PM

oh no! a maga has entered ^

by Anonymousreply 385April 12, 2020 1:43 AM

Can someone recommend a book with pictures in it?

by Anonymousreply 386April 12, 2020 1:45 AM

I just finished Tinkers by Paul Harding, which was a pleasant surprise. There were some really lovely passages.

by Anonymousreply 387April 12, 2020 2:18 AM

R396, I like My Pet Goat, Don!

by Anonymousreply 388April 12, 2020 4:47 AM

I've been reading some Agatha Christie books. She's actually a genius.

by Anonymousreply 389April 13, 2020 11:13 AM

In this time of government-mandated house arrest, when you can't get to the library or the bookshop, may I highly recommend the Internet Archive. Two minutes to no-hassle/no spam register and 140 million books from around the world are yours for the online borrowing. Especially excellent if you're looking for early, out-of-print or not locally available works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390April 13, 2020 11:28 AM

r389 I finished [italic]A Pocket Full of Rye[/italic] and while it's not a better-known title, it's very good, some snark & dark humour, and had me guessing. After I am done with my Judy Bolton #1 [italic]The Vanishing Shadow[/italic] and E L Konigsburg's [italic]Father's Arcane Daughter[/italic], I'm going to dip into some William Trevor (I snagged a thick book of selected stories from the library the day before it closed to the public), and read [italic]Ask a Policeman[/italic], a 1939 collaboration of mystery writers who were part of The Detection Club, to which Dame Agatha Christie belonged.

by Anonymousreply 391April 13, 2020 3:21 PM

Exciting Times by Naoise Dolan

by Anonymousreply 392April 13, 2020 3:45 PM

Recently finished Shuggie Bain, which another poster referenced. Bleak, but an excellent read.

by Anonymousreply 393April 13, 2020 7:34 PM

The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 394April 13, 2020 7:38 PM

R335 I agree that Orson Welles is a great Cardinal Wolsey in A Man for All Seasons. Leo McKern is very good too as Thomas Cromwell. Oliver Reed isn't in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 395April 14, 2020 3:05 PM

R395 I know Reed's not in A Man For All Seasons, I was just rattling off my ideal dream cast for a film adaptation of 'Wolf Hall' / how I picture the characters in my head.

by Anonymousreply 396April 14, 2020 3:12 PM

"we all love the beautiful girls" by Joanne Proulx. barely a gay character in site, but a great family dynamics story that will lstay with you after you finish. keep your kleenix handy as you read, tho.

by Anonymousreply 397April 14, 2020 3:59 PM

R391, William Trevor could write. I read [italic]Angels at the Ritz[/italic]; it has stayed with me for years. I need to pick up another collection of his stories.

by Anonymousreply 398April 14, 2020 5:53 PM

Still reading The Mirror and the Light (actually, rationing it at 20 or so pages a day) and hoping they're working on the screenplay and signing Rylance's and Lewis's contracts as I'm reading. Anne of Cleves is on the horizon.

by Anonymousreply 399April 14, 2020 6:31 PM

R399 I finished it last week. Because I can't bring myself to let go, now I'm reading Diarmaid McCulloch's massive biography of Cromwell.

Thomas Cromwell, I don't know how to quit you.

by Anonymousreply 400April 14, 2020 6:36 PM

Read 'Girl, Woman, Other' by Bernadine Evaristo for my book group, which was done on a Zoom call. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 401April 14, 2020 7:12 PM

R401 I was going to bought it and then the coronavirus lockdown started.

It's one of those books that i would not read without the award, but the last time a novel that didn't caught my attention won a big award was Anna Burns' Milkman, and i loved that novel

by Anonymousreply 402April 15, 2020 2:40 PM

R402, our group read 'Milkman' last year. It was something I probably wouldn't have read otherwise, but glad I did. Awards are not handed out willy nilly.

by Anonymousreply 403April 15, 2020 4:35 PM

Obviously, you've never heard of the Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 404April 15, 2020 9:51 PM

For Anna Karenina's fans, the Russian Embassy released a recent film version on Youtube for free viewing. The film is in 8 parts, link to Part 1 below.

Sorry, didn't want to start a new thread and figured Russian literary fans may be interested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405April 15, 2020 10:34 PM

House of Ghosts

by Anonymousreply 406April 21, 2020 11:18 PM

I'm reading The age of innocence

by Anonymousreply 407April 22, 2020 2:15 PM

SWAN SONG, a fictionalized life of Capote and his spectacular social meltdown.

by Anonymousreply 408April 22, 2020 6:07 PM

R408 How is it? I'd been planning to read it but I saw a lot of mixed reviews.

by Anonymousreply 409April 22, 2020 6:16 PM

I haven't been able to finish a book this year. I have managed to complete a couple of audiobooks. I'm on the waitlist for Mirror and LIght and close to getting a e-copy. Hoping Mantel will get to finish a book in 2020. I loved the first two books so I'm hoping the 3rd book will do the trick.

I have to stop trying to read books I SHOULD be reading and just concentrate on some book candy. I currently have a book on trusts and wills on my Kindle and I have zero interest in reading it--but it's something I need to take care of.

by Anonymousreply 410April 23, 2020 1:31 AM

Just finished Hangsaman by Shirley Jackson. Torn between what to read next - either The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy or Ready to Catch him should he fall by Neil Bartlett

by Anonymousreply 411April 23, 2020 4:00 AM

r409, I'm about 100 pages in and enjoying it quite a bit, but then again I'm fascinated by Capote and his decline. It's written with incredible energy (sometimes too much) and humor, although I'm not sure it won't wear after a while. (It's nearly 500 pp.long.) Let's just say it goes down easy, it's bitchy, and it's fun—pretty much suitable to lightening my current mood.

by Anonymousreply 412April 23, 2020 3:27 PM

Anyone here follow the kookiness that is BookTube?

by Anonymousreply 413April 23, 2020 3:30 PM

R412 Actually, I got the book that you're reading confused with THIS novelization of the Fall of Truman Capote (just how many are there!?) that has been on my wish list. Has anyone read this one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414April 23, 2020 5:07 PM

I'm up to Page 1114 (Rabinowitz-Radio) of the Manhattan White Pages. 398 pages to the finish line.

by Anonymousreply 415April 23, 2020 5:25 PM

R413: There's tons of booktubers, most of them are into young adult. There are some who are well established and respected (the booker prize invites some of them regularly and uses their reviews), some only want to publish their novel (generally not written by them)

by Anonymousreply 416April 23, 2020 6:03 PM

Has anyone read the Slow Horses series from Mick Heron? I strongly recommend them, spy stories centered on a spy department of London’s secret services where all the fuck ups are sent to. Great pllots and characters and bitchy dialogue. Just finished Spook Street, the fourth in the series and they are so good i am making them last.

Also read The Essence of the Things, from Madeline St John. Much better than I ever thought for a typical separation story.

Have Swan Song to read since August, the first pages did not grip me but will try it again.

by Anonymousreply 417April 23, 2020 6:31 PM

Call me by your name is on the nyt bestseeller list on paperback which seems pretty random

by Anonymousreply 418April 28, 2020 7:54 PM

The Vincent Price Treasury of American Art.

It is brilliant, no joke. Mr. Price was quite the connoisseur of art, so his observations about the selected paintings in this anthology (profusely illustrated) are informed and beautifully written.

by Anonymousreply 419April 28, 2020 11:41 PM

r419 I received [italic]Come into the Kitchen[/italic] by Mary and Vincent Price. I didn't know it was a treasury of ancient Americana recipes. Still, I'll try some recipes as long as I don't need a hunting license.

by Anonymousreply 420April 29, 2020 1:14 AM

What's a book?

by Anonymousreply 421April 29, 2020 3:13 PM

what i love most about the current DL visitors is the deep and profoundly written humorous comments! ^

by Anonymousreply 422April 29, 2020 8:22 PM

The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson. Told from the perspective of a soldier in the North Korean army. A bit apt considering their situation over there right now.

Thank goodness for the public library making copies of these books available for online checkout/reading.

by Anonymousreply 423April 29, 2020 8:30 PM

Says the poster who has never posted anything funny, ever

by Anonymousreply 424April 29, 2020 8:59 PM

then why does my profile say i've gotten 534 WWs? ^

by Anonymousreply 425April 29, 2020 10:40 PM

On the other 2020 book thread someone posted about being halfway through The Mirror and the Light and being bored by it. I'm 14% in (e-reading) and I'm enjoying it. I can see if it goes on and on for 700 pages but we know how it's going to end for Cromwell and I'm banking on Mantel to turn the screws expertly as we build to that end.

by Anonymousreply 426April 30, 2020 2:43 PM

Less literary than Orphan Master’s Son but tons of fun, Star of the North is about two Korean-American sisters split when the North Koreans kidnap one on a beach in Japan, and the other, years later, is determined to find and rescue her. Highly improbable plot but expertly written.

by Anonymousreply 427April 30, 2020 4:13 PM

How about The Dutch House?

by Anonymousreply 428April 30, 2020 8:54 PM

R410. The Mirror and the Light is outstanding, possibly the best in the series. Definitely short list for Booker prize.

- I couldn't wait for the ebook so I purchased it.

I am reading David Quammen’s “Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic,” - great read. He - and the scientists interviewed for the book - basically predicted Covid 19. And there will be more.

by Anonymousreply 429April 30, 2020 9:19 PM

R429 I read 'Spillover' several years ago. Definitely one of the best books of its kind I've ever read; I've been recommending it to people right and left.

Mirror and the Light wasn't as "fun" (for lack of a better word) as the others, because poor old Cromwell has had all the joy rung out of him by that psychopath H8, but it rings true and his character has been developed so well across the books I can't complain. Of course, the burden of doom hanging over the whole book makes it difficult going as well. There's a LOT going on, so M&L lacks the very clear arcs of the first two, but it's not Mantel's fault that the last few years of Cromwell's life were so action-packed.

On the other hand, the massive biography of Tom C. that I'm currently reading IS a slog because the author is more interested in writing a history of the Reformation than about Cromwell the man.

by Anonymousreply 430May 1, 2020 12:45 AM

R430 - Sylvia - are you referring to Tracy Borman's biography? It has received excellent reviews. I purchased this about 2 years ago but decided to wait until Mantel's final book in her trilogy before reading it.

Interesting aside - I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Nigeria years ago. There was an outbreak of Lassa fever near the area where some of us were living, and we taken from our sites. My compound was full of rodents and I was always worried about breathing in dust from their urine or feces. (and yes I went on to get an MD).

by Anonymousreply 431May 1, 2020 4:16 AM

R427, that sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

by Anonymousreply 432May 1, 2020 4:42 AM

R431 No, I'd read that one a while ago. It was ok...seemed hastily tossed together to cash in on Mantel's success. I'm referring to this one. It's a far more scholarly work, but as I said, a little TOO scholarly and loses sight of Cromwell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433May 1, 2020 10:17 AM

Has anyone here read Tracy Kidder's "Mountains Beyond Mountains," a biography of the American physician Paul Farmer?

by Anonymousreply 434May 1, 2020 10:40 AM

Read a biography of Avery Brundage.

by Anonymousreply 435May 1, 2020 12:11 PM

While I could barely put it down, I did think The Mirror and the Light sagged a bit in the middle, but the final quarter or so, as the walls closed in, was undeniably gripping, with the final pages very moving. (On a lighter note, I nearly clapped every time that sly bitch Lady Jane Rochford showed up. Where's HER book?)

by Anonymousreply 436May 1, 2020 5:41 PM

Agree with your assessment R436. I re-read the final chapters several times, they were so beautiful, even though I wept like a MARY.

[quote] On a lighter note, I nearly clapped every time that sly bitch Lady Jane Rochford showed up. Where's HER book?

Somewhere in my imagination, there exists an ABC Movie of the Week version of Wolf Hall with Joan Collins as Lady Rochford.

by Anonymousreply 437May 1, 2020 5:53 PM

For those looking to read a thriller, the Edgar Award winners were recently announced.

Of them, I have read the excellent Miracle Creek by Angie Kim.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438May 2, 2020 12:30 PM

The Uninhabitable Earth by David Wallace-Wells is really good. I wouldn't read it now, but I read it January through February 2020 and it softened the blow when it came to lockdown.

by Anonymousreply 439May 2, 2020 3:24 PM

The Memoirs of Harry Truman. This is a somewhat condensed and edited version of his original memoirs which were two books. Apparently, the original two books were kind of inconsistent and confusing. I can say this book is a great read and It's just reaffirmed my belief that Truman was the second or third best president of the 20th century. To give an idea of how honorable the man was--he was almost broke when he left the office and he pretty much stayed that way until he died. He was very stubborn and had strong instincts about things. Without Truman, there wouldn't be a modern world as we know it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440May 2, 2020 3:32 PM

I've found much to enjoy in two children's books of strong literary quality--Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book and Kenneth Grahame's The Wind In the Willows.

The Kipling particularly conjures up a world entirely though the use of picturesque language and the odd culture of the jungle animals, such as the bizarre "dance" of the giant snake Kaa, during which he hypnotizes his prey. I never saw the Disney adaptation, but I'm told the book is quite different, and not all cutesy.

by Anonymousreply 441May 2, 2020 9:22 PM

Don't know about the book by Nicholas Searle, but I reallly enjoyed the movie The Good Liar with Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren.

by Anonymousreply 442May 3, 2020 5:50 PM

Can't believe I'm reading Emily St. John Mandel's "Station Eleven" -- about the aftermath of a global pandemic -- right now, but it's pretty gripping. And dystopian novels are rarely my jam.

by Anonymousreply 443May 4, 2020 5:56 PM

I loved that novel, but now it's not the best time to read it

by Anonymousreply 444May 4, 2020 6:24 PM

Is Station Eleven, however timely, actually any good? People who I know read it gave it a pass.

by Anonymousreply 445May 4, 2020 8:16 PM

I really liked, but i think it's one of those hit or miss.

It has the problem (for some) of being too literary for a theme usually destined to bestsellers. It was a National Book Award finalist, and it was finalist of a genre award (i think it was the Cambell)

by Anonymousreply 446May 4, 2020 8:30 PM

Colson Whitehead won the Pulitzer with The nickel boys.

The dutch house and The Topeka school were the finalists

by Anonymousreply 447May 4, 2020 8:31 PM

Has anyone read the Great Believers?

by Anonymousreply 448May 4, 2020 8:47 PM

I did. Found it readable, but disappointing. The author wrote very wanly about gay sex and much more vividly about the hetero kind (not surprisingly). I was surprised it got a NBA finalist slot.

by Anonymousreply 449May 5, 2020 1:20 PM

I also read The Great Believers and thought it was fine for a nice diversion but not they type of novel that I would keep on my bookshelf to reread in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 450May 5, 2020 2:18 PM

It's curious that the Pulitzer went for heavy hitters for two years in a row.

The winner is only a surprise from time to time, but most of the finalists generally are not on the list of favourites to win, but the last two years all the winners and finalists were in all list of candidates to win

by Anonymousreply 451May 5, 2020 2:38 PM

Semi-OT - I saw the first 3 episodes of Sally Rooney's NORMAL PEOPLE and gave up. I liked the book - didn't change my life, but liked it - but the show annoys the fuck out of me. Marianne is very miscast.

by Anonymousreply 452May 7, 2020 7:27 PM

In Search of Lost Time —also translated as Remembrance of Things Past—is a novel in seven volumes, written by Marcel Proust.

OP, You have a lot of reading too do!

by Anonymousreply 453May 7, 2020 7:30 PM

Is anyone else reading The End of October? I've just started it, engrossing so far mid-fourth chapter. I haven't (though intend to) read Spillover or The Uninhabitable Earth mentioned upthread, wondering how the three compare despite the genres not being quite the same.

by Anonymousreply 454May 7, 2020 7:40 PM

R452: I'm still trying to figure out the hype around Sally Rooney because i don't understand it at all

by Anonymousreply 455May 7, 2020 8:14 PM

^Yes, In Search of Lost Time is the book that takes as long to read as it did to write...I think it's the greatest book ever written, but it is certainly no quick diversion. Hard to read, although the newer English translations are vastly improving the awful, clotted mess of the earliest "official" version. It's got a hell of a lot of wisdom to offer if you go easy with it and let yourself become accustomed to Proust's way of writing.

by Anonymousreply 456May 7, 2020 8:24 PM

R454 I was just looking into The End of October, so I'll be interested in your review. Spillover is excellent, but it's not a novel.

by Anonymousreply 457May 7, 2020 9:24 PM

There was a Spanish DLer who spoke about reading Homeland by Fernando Aramburu but I can't recall if he recommended it. Has anyone?

by Anonymousreply 458May 12, 2020 9:45 PM

R458: It was me. I was curious about the reaction of a foreign reader (the reviews on Kirkus and the New York Times are opposites).

The novel was probably the biggest success in Spain in a good while. Aramburu knows what he is talking about because he lived in the Vasque country and at the same time he has the objectivity of the distance (he is living in Germany). It touched a very important point in spanish history, something that was taboo till very recently (The dinner guest by Gabriela Ybarra was nominated to the Man Booker prize international and talks about ETA from a very personal perspective).

The novel has that difficult thing of having literary qualities but being read as a bestseller.

I found it interesting but i didn't love it (and in my opinion there are other great spanish novels of this century that are way better, specially Crematoria by Rafael Chirbes). The situation has the distopic qualities that Milkman had (i'm not comparing the novels, and i think Burns' novel is way better) of havil a society where their normal is a total anomaly.

I recommend you to read it, it's long but very easy to read, and even if you don't like the style (i was not crazy about it) the plot is interesting enough.

I found very curious that the criticism of The New York Times was so close of what people linked to terrorism said about the novel

by Anonymousreply 459May 13, 2020 2:10 PM

Right now i'm reading Sermon on the fall of Rome by Jerome Ferrari (who won the Goncourt with this novel) and The Tsar of love and techno by Anthony Marra. I loved A constellation of vital phenomena and i don't know why took me so long to read his second book.

Marra is quite curious for an american writer, he seems pretty focused on Chechenya, generally it happens with american writers who are first generation (and the country of their parents has a lot of inlfuence in their work) but i didn't find nothing about Marra's origins. He published his second work quite soon after the first, but it's been a while without a new novel

by Anonymousreply 460May 13, 2020 2:16 PM

I usually read books that have been well reviewed, well-established in the mainstream, or recommended by friends. So for a change I grabbed a book from my library that I knew nothing about except having heard (vaguely) of its author. Only reason I bought it was that it was an old Modern Library edition from 1936; always loved those volumes. The book is BARREN GROUND by Ellen Glasgow. Written in 1925. (She later won the Pulitzer for IN THIS OUR LIFE, the basis for a Bette Davis film.) About 25% into it's 500 pages, I find it totally absorbing and moving. Lots of casual racism (set in Virginia) that's hard to swallow, but often beautifully written.

So I recommend it. Not necessarily this book, but diving into a book without any knowledge or expectations.

by Anonymousreply 461May 13, 2020 3:38 PM

Separation Anxiety. I find it funny - if a little frauish. But needed a humorous, lighthearted book and this did the trick. Funny witty writers are rare.

by Anonymousreply 462May 13, 2020 3:56 PM

just read the newest Paul Cleave. "whatever it takes" such a good story teller. i own all of his books. loved all of them.

by Anonymousreply 463May 13, 2020 4:33 PM

Well, I finished the Orphan Master's Son to mixed feelings. The first half was stronger, the book could have been condensed by about 100 pages, and in the second half the author falls prey to a kind of endless, over-the-top rhapsodizing over a female character that I find too common (and annoying) with straight male authors. I get it -- she's beautiful, faultless, and pisses rosewater.

I feel like gay male authors never get [italic]that[/italic] mushy over a man's beauty...

by Anonymousreply 464May 14, 2020 12:07 AM

I started “The Medici Boy” by John l'heureux - historical fiction novel about Donatello and his sexual and romantic relationship with the young male model who inspired his famous bronze statue of David. Pretty good so far.

by Anonymousreply 465May 14, 2020 12:39 AM

I've gotten some good recommendations from these threads!

by Anonymousreply 466May 14, 2020 12:48 AM

Any of these books a possibility for a good, adult musical?

by Anonymousreply 467May 14, 2020 4:47 AM

I'm in the middle of the non-fiction "The Mad Boy, Lord Berners, My Grandmother and Me" by Sofka Zinovieff and though the writing is average and the book itself is strangely designed, the stories are fascinating (lots of upper-class shenanigans) and the lifestyle porn is strong. And I now know that Waugh based "Brideshead Revisited" on a real family.

by Anonymousreply 468May 14, 2020 5:36 AM

Speaking of Brideshead Revisited, this is a good read. It's about the real (gay) scandal that inspired the book, and it's also a sort of Eveyln Waugh bio

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 469May 14, 2020 5:08 PM

I do not know the answer so help me out:

Is it pronounced Brides-head or Bride-shead or is a British pronunciation that bears no resemblance to the spelling?

by Anonymousreply 470May 14, 2020 5:22 PM

Brides-head, r470. No "sh" sound.

by Anonymousreply 471May 14, 2020 5:26 PM

r470, it's the first one

by Anonymousreply 472May 14, 2020 5:31 PM

Watch the miniseries, R470! It's gorgeous, will take up hours of your time, and is nearly word for word from the book.

by Anonymousreply 473May 14, 2020 5:41 PM

R473 - Bought the complete series with jeremy Irons from shoppbs.org over a year ago but have not had time to watch as I want to binge watch it some weekend.

Being 40 years old, how does it hold up production wise?

by Anonymousreply 474May 14, 2020 5:49 PM

It's a period piece done on location(s), so it has not dated.

by Anonymousreply 475May 14, 2020 5:55 PM

R475 - One of the locations was Castle Howard in Yorkshire. I look forward to watching it as much for the country house and London Townhouse porn as anything.

by Anonymousreply 476May 14, 2020 5:58 PM

R474 It's also free to watch on Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 477May 14, 2020 6:19 PM

R469, thanks for the recommendation. The basics of it are covered in the Lord Berners book, as he and his boy toy were friends with the "Brideshead" family. It was interesting that, unlike in BR, the father was banished from England for having had male lovers, not for having a mistress.

As said above, the miniseries is great, but the book is also very much worth reading.

by Anonymousreply 478May 14, 2020 6:30 PM

Just starting James Salter's "All That Is." I don't really know what the premise is, but I love his writing.

by Anonymousreply 479May 14, 2020 8:36 PM

At my mother's house reading some of her mysteries. I quite like the Fethering mysteries by Simon Brett about a skinny uptight retired civil servant and her plump alternative healer neighbour who solve mysteries in West Sussex. I fear they could become samey, though.

by Anonymousreply 480May 14, 2020 9:40 PM

[quote] Is it pronounced Brides-head or Bride-shead or is a British pronunciation that bears no resemblance to the spelling?

"Brides-head."

We are told the castle was built originally at the head of the (fictitious) river Bride.

by Anonymousreply 481May 14, 2020 9:43 PM

I love Brett's theater mysteries.

by Anonymousreply 482May 15, 2020 2:51 PM

R479: I loved Light years

by Anonymousreply 483May 15, 2020 8:15 PM

R483, I have an e-copy of that book on hold from my local library! Can't wait to read it.

by Anonymousreply 484May 16, 2020 7:08 AM

I have two James Salter books on my Kindle from $0.99 Daily Sale. So onto the list they go!

by Anonymousreply 485May 16, 2020 7:48 PM

Finally, after years and years on my shelf i started Wolf Hall.

I'm not a big historic novels fan but i'm liking it. And i even have the advantage of not knowing more than hints of the story

by Anonymousreply 486May 18, 2020 6:43 PM

Recently read Midnight in Chernobyl by Adam Higginbotham and Idaho Falls by William McKeown.

by Anonymousreply 487May 18, 2020 7:03 PM

[italic] PLAGUE [/italic] , Kent Heckenlively, Judy Mikovits

by Anonymousreply 488May 18, 2020 7:03 PM

my library just started curb-side pick-up. books are available again!!!

by Anonymousreply 489May 19, 2020 1:05 AM

Not sure about sharing books at this time, though I'm guessing the protocol would be to pick up a book and quarantine it for 3 days before reading.

by Anonymousreply 490May 19, 2020 2:50 AM

I bought a ukulele on 11 March. It stayed quarantined in its case for two weeks before I dared approach it. Maybe that was a little extreme. I was suprised to discover the strings aren't in order, but I still like the sound. I can't play.

Sorry for the OT.

by Anonymousreply 491May 19, 2020 8:59 AM

Fog Island, by Mariette Lindstein or whoever wrote it for her.

by Anonymousreply 492May 19, 2020 8:59 AM

Just heard of a gay writer, Vestal McIntyre. What a name! Anyone read him?

by Anonymousreply 493May 19, 2020 1:03 PM

"It's only 6 inches but it smells like a foot"

by Anonymousreply 494May 19, 2020 9:23 PM

Just read Ben MacIntyre's most recent nonfiction spy thriller, The Spy and the Traitor, about the most important spy of the Cold War, Oleg Gordievsky, who was an MI6 double agent for about 11 years (I think). A mesmerizing book. All of MacIntyre's books are great (I've read 2 or 3 others). I wanted something that would be totally distracting, and this was it. Should be made into a documentary or even a feature. Highly recommend. (Got it from Libby--the audiobook is good too with John Lee narrating, who does all of MacIntyre's books. I mostly read it, but took the audiobook on a walk.) Am trying to figure out what to read next, so looked up this thread. Lots of good suggestions here.

by Anonymousreply 495May 27, 2020 1:32 AM

^^I should have said that Oleg Gordievsky was a highly placed KGB agent, maybe the biggest fish who ever went to the west. He is still alive and living in England in anonymity more or less.

by Anonymousreply 496May 27, 2020 1:35 AM

I picked up the new Hunger Games book, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes.

by Anonymousreply 497June 3, 2020 5:37 AM

I'm reading Hobbes's Leviathan. I'm a philosophy graduate, so I should've probably read it long ago.

by Anonymousreply 498June 3, 2020 5:42 AM

I'm ending Wolf hall, and i think after that i will read Train dreams

by Anonymousreply 499June 3, 2020 1:35 PM

Reading Girl Woman Other. Enjoying it, but not sure it's Booker-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 500June 3, 2020 1:43 PM

I think I'm going to reread K.M. Soehnlein, starting with his first novel, The World of Normal Boys.

Richard McCann's Mother of Sorrows is also rereading-worthy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501June 3, 2020 1:43 PM

Finishing the Moser biography of Sontag. What a tiresome, insufferable woman. Am halfway through Lawrence Wright's new and eerily prescient pandemic novel (about a novel virus), The End of October. A good read,mix not great literature. It's certainly holding my inte est.

by Anonymousreply 502June 3, 2020 1:51 PM

Has anyone here read Barkskins by Annie Proulx? Your review? The kindle version is on sale to tie-in with the TV series they've made of it.

by Anonymousreply 503June 3, 2020 2:51 PM

Does a gay get killed in that one, Sylvia?

by Anonymousreply 504June 3, 2020 3:02 PM

Just started Fright by Cornell Woolrich

by Anonymousreply 505June 3, 2020 3:05 PM

Son of a whoreson bitch, I don't know. I want to know if it's worth my dropping $2.99 for it.

Oh, and for the Cromwellians...

[quote] Mark Rylance, a good source tells me, is to reprise his role as Thomas Cromwell in the BBC adaptation of Hilary Mantel’s final instalment of her Wolf Hall trilogy, The Mirror and the Light. So far the BBC has simply said it will film the next novel, published on 5 March, without confirming the Oscar-winning actor.

Yes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506June 3, 2020 4:48 PM

I'm so glad to hear you say that about Sontag R502. If you said that about her in NYC gay circles you'd be ostracized, but I share your opinion. I don't quite see what the point of her is (yes I know about her dissection of Camp), why she was always such a down in the mouth Gloomy Gus, or why she's so venerated. Why she was given such a voice for so long when she was such an obvious fraud.

I remember she had that one bestseller but her plays and movies never went anywhere or made much noise at the box office.

A gay friend talks about meeting her being the highlight of his life and I have to stop myself from grabbing him and shaking him forcefully like Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins in Old Acquaintance.

by Anonymousreply 507June 3, 2020 7:46 PM

[quote]movies never went anywhere or made much noise at the box office.

She was supposed to be "avant-garde"; her films were never released to wide audiences. "Duet for Cannibals," anyone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508June 3, 2020 11:57 PM

When she was alive her "creative" works were never well thought of, only her essays, especially as mentioned "Notes on Camp." Also her book on photography was very well received I remember. I might have read Notes on Camp but so long ago that I don't remember a word.

by Anonymousreply 509June 4, 2020 12:26 AM

Lucy Ellman’s “Ducks, Newburyport” is a masterpiece and a project. Stick with it through the first hundred pages. If you start to drift, read aloud. It’s worth it.

by Anonymousreply 510June 4, 2020 1:24 AM

R510 One of my favourite booktubers just love that novel. I hope it'll be published in Spain

by Anonymousreply 511June 4, 2020 1:49 PM

Which booktuber? I'm strangely addicted to a few of them.

by Anonymousreply 512June 4, 2020 3:39 PM

Eric Karl Anderson. That guy loves Joyce Carol Oates for sure

by Anonymousreply 513June 4, 2020 6:33 PM

Reading Patrick Radden Keefe's "Say Nothing" about the Troubles in Northern Ireland in the early 70s. Because why not, during these sectarian times? I certainly knew the basics, but I didn't know there were two branches of the IRA -- the Officials and the Provos -- that were also shooting each other. (Also watching the hilarious "Derry Girls" on Netflix as a tonic.)

by Anonymousreply 514June 4, 2020 6:37 PM

R514 That was the best book that I read last year. I wound up bingeing a bunch of related documentaries afterward.

by Anonymousreply 515June 4, 2020 7:38 PM

The Deviant's War: The Homosexual vs. the United States of America, by Eric Cervini.

Biography of "homosexualist" Frank Kameny. It's quite well-written, with a narrative flow you don't always find in biographies and other nonfiction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516June 4, 2020 8:01 PM

r513, yes, I've subscribed to his Lonesome Reader. Can be a bit annoying, but his heart seems to be in the right place. I'm fascinated by Steve Donoghue, who is insane but knows his stuff. And likes dogs. A lot.

by Anonymousreply 517June 4, 2020 10:24 PM

R517: Eric is so nice and enthusiastic that you forgive everything else. He even got the joke when memento mori made a not so subtle hint at Eric doing poppers before his videos in his video of the Booker prize

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518June 5, 2020 1:58 PM

Thanks r518 for pointing me to momento mori. Not sure if he's an interesting guy or a dick. Maybe both. As for Eric, I like his reviews but don;t think I'll ever get the Joyce Carol Oates love.

by Anonymousreply 519June 5, 2020 2:17 PM

He really really loves her.

I only tried one of her young adult novels and i hate it, i have Little bird of heaven at home but never tried.

I only watched memento mori's videos about the booker prize and they are very funny

by Anonymousreply 520June 5, 2020 2:22 PM

Unfortunately, so many of the "BookTubers" have such dull and droning voices that I can't help but tune out. Many seem to have no clue how to address an audience.

by Anonymousreply 521June 5, 2020 4:30 PM

I'm reading Primera memoria (First memory) by Ana María Matute.

She was one of the most important spanish writers of the XX century. She was very prolific in the 50's and 60's and wrote novels, essays and children books, but by the early 70's she stopped writting.

She came back in 1996 with Olvidado rey Gudú (Forgotten King Gudú) which was a mix of medieval novel, fantasy and fairy tale and become her biggest success in her career. She used to be (even with little chances) in the Nobel list of candidates. She joked a couple of years before her death that the academic who proposed her every year died so she was not on the list anymore.

First memory is one of her first novels and deal with a theme that was very important in her work, childhood and adolescence, as a teen girl spends her summer with a cousin, an aunt and her grandma in an island (it seems to be one of the Balear Island) as the civil war starts on Spain (which it's seem from a distance)

by Anonymousreply 522June 6, 2020 8:23 PM

I just finished Ron Hansen's collection of short stories, Nebraska: Stories. I loved it so much that I moved onto another collection of his -- She Loves Me Not -- and I'm breezing through it as well. I do like his style very much.

by Anonymousreply 523June 6, 2020 9:39 PM

just finished John Sandford's latest fuckin' Flowers book. funniest line i've rad in a long time: "i', sweating like a blind lesbian in a sushi bar,"

by Anonymousreply 524June 7, 2020 12:19 AM

Hansen's MARIETTE IN ECSTASY is a wonderful book.

by Anonymousreply 525June 7, 2020 1:43 PM

[quote]just finished John Sandford's latest

I tried last year's Lucas Davenport novel, Neon Prey. I hated all the characters in the first chapter. Davenport isn't among them. I returned it to the library already, but since no one's working at the library, not even kindle books are being checked in. If I can, maybe I'll pick it up again. I remember liking a couple of earlier Davenport novels.

by Anonymousreply 526June 7, 2020 2:26 PM

Meh, I didn't finish Hansen's MARIETTE or ATTICUS. Disappointments. Liked the former's cover, though.

by Anonymousreply 527June 9, 2020 12:41 AM

R223, I'm reading A Natural and it's taken 3 weeks to read about 20%, reading on Kindle. I admit I'm sleep deprived and in a mental fog but I just can't get into the story. Does anything happen?

And I'm big soccer fan.

by Anonymousreply 528June 9, 2020 8:23 PM

Not a whole lot happens, R528, but there is a twist (which I should have seen coming) at the end. I enjoyed it largely for the descriptions of the less glamorous end of English soccer.

by Anonymousreply 529June 9, 2020 8:36 PM

R528: Curiously i hate soccer and i think A Natural is a fantastic novel.

I

by Anonymousreply 530June 9, 2020 8:37 PM

Starting the new Oscar Wilde bio.

by Anonymousreply 531June 15, 2020 8:01 PM

Just finished Lady Glenconner’s memoir "Lady in Waiting: My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown:. The book is excellent if you are into UK nutter Aristocrats, UK Aristocratic gays and all that went down on the island of Mystique in the 1970s and 1980s with the rick & famous.

by Anonymousreply 532June 19, 2020 12:43 PM

Finished "Say Nothing" about the Troubles in Ireland (grim, but very good), now re-reading some Laurie Colwin as a palate cleanser (always a delight) before reading "The Winter Soldier" by Daniel Mason.

by Anonymousreply 533June 19, 2020 6:33 PM

Can anyone recommend any decent contemporary German novels? I

by Anonymousreply 534June 20, 2020 11:11 PM

Just started "Country," by Michael Hughes, a retelling of the Iliad set in 1990s "troubles" Ireland. It's brilliant! I purchased it after finishing "Say Nothing," and I don't think I'd understand half of Hughes' novel if I hadn't read "Say Nothing" first.

by Anonymousreply 535June 21, 2020 1:35 AM

R534: I really liked In times of fading light by Eugen Ruge. Decades of a communist family saga on the rda (from the militance of the grand grandfather to the total indiference of the last generation).

by Anonymousreply 536June 21, 2020 9:44 AM

Just read the Wayward Pines trilogy and now starting Stephen King's Outsider.

by Anonymousreply 537June 21, 2020 9:50 AM

I just finished the Glass Hotel...it was kind of underwhelming considering the publicity. I'm now reading Leading Men.

by Anonymousreply 538June 22, 2020 11:53 AM

I was reading Nicholson Barer's The Mezzanine but i don't know if it's the book or if i'm on one of my reading lows (it happens from time to time that i just don't feel in the mood to read) but i think i'm not getting it

by Anonymousreply 539June 28, 2020 11:58 AM

R538 I - and much of my book group - found The Glass Hotel rather flat. The characters just 'did' stuff, but we had little idea as to why. I followed that book up with Money, Murder and Dominick Dunne, which was an unapologetic dive into Dunne's life. Lots of name dropping and bitchy gossip, just as he lived his life.

by Anonymousreply 540June 28, 2020 5:45 PM

I've been reading a few pulp novels from Hard Case Crime. They're fun!

by Anonymousreply 541June 28, 2020 5:48 PM

Which ones did you like R541? I read quite a few in their first years of existence but haven't read one in a while. I don't care for Donald Westlake or Max Allan Collins or Lawrence Block, their mainstays, and their originals I've tried didn't do much for me either. The Michael Crichton reprints I read were ok but I didn't read them all.

But I loved their reprinted Ed McBain, Robert Bloch, James Cain, Mickey Spillane, Cornell Woolrich, George Axelrod, David Goodis, Wade Miller, Day Keene. And the two Stephen King originals were solid too, especially enjoyed Joyland.

Glad they exist and have survived. 16 years since the first book was published, not bad.

by Anonymousreply 542June 28, 2020 6:01 PM

r542, I just finished Fright by Cornell Woolrich and The Cocktail Waitress by James M. Cain and liked them both. I'm in the middle of The Knife Slipped by Erle Stanley Gardner and liking it so far

by Anonymousreply 543June 29, 2020 4:39 PM

I need to get Turn on the Heat. Loved Fright and especially loved The Cocktail Waitress.

by Anonymousreply 544June 30, 2020 2:42 AM

I started Jean Rhys' Wide sargasso sea

by Anonymousreply 545June 30, 2020 1:24 PM

r545, are you liking it? I read it in college and liked it a lot.

by Anonymousreply 546June 30, 2020 4:55 PM

R546: I'm just starting it. I'm not at my reading best, i gave up (for now) on the mezzanine so i have my hopes on this (or i will need to rely on Pierre Lemaitre or Elena Ferrante to go back on track)

by Anonymousreply 547June 30, 2020 5:31 PM

Was a huge Jean Rhys fan when I was younger. She only wrote 5 or 6 short books. I also read a biography of her written about 20 years ago maybe. She had a very sad life. Her novels are semi-autobiographical. Wide Sargasso Sea is definitiely her best. There was a not very good movie made in the 70s or 80s I think with Nathaniel Parker in the lead when he was at his peak of youthful gorgeousness. Worth watching if only for him. Anyway, Jean Rhys is unique. I don't think there is another writer quite like her, and her prose is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 548July 1, 2020 9:07 PM

Swimming in the Dark. Lovely coming-of-age gay story set in Communist Poland.

by Anonymousreply 549July 2, 2020 2:08 PM

R549 I wanted to read that novel since the first time i heard about it. Hopefully it'll be published here soon

by Anonymousreply 550July 2, 2020 2:18 PM

If you are staying home most of the time still and you like historical biographies, I really recommend Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by the great writer of popular history, Robert Massie, from 2011. The first half is a page-turner, but then it gets more into different aspects of her rule (34 years I think). She was quite an extraordinary person and the writer obviously is a great admirer but he did do a lot of research. Years ago I read his biography of Peter the Great, which won the Pulitzer that year. That was a better book as I recall (not quite as long for one thing). Got it on Libby (free digital library app). Tried the audio version but sent it back cause the narrator was a little bit machine-like. I feel virtuous to have read something that long (over 700 pages) and actually learning something about Russian history. Massie really was a wonderful writer (he died at the end of last year at 90--lucky man to have missed the Rona).

by Anonymousreply 551July 2, 2020 10:24 PM

And let's not forget Massie's seminal NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA.

by Anonymousreply 552July 3, 2020 1:48 PM

I've just finished 'Rainbow Milk' by Paul Mendez. A remarkably assured and beautiful debut novel, about being a gay black ex-Jehovah's Witenss sex worker in London. It also comtains lots of hot literary sex.

I'm unsure if it's been published in the US, but it deserves to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 553July 3, 2020 1:53 PM

I'm not reading it yet, but I will be: David Mitchell's "Utopia Avenue" is released later this month. I've read his "Black Swan Green," "Cloud Atlas" and "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet" numerous times. (The latter would make a *fantastic* miniseries in the right hands, given a lavish budget.)

by Anonymousreply 554July 3, 2020 6:56 PM

I love David Mitchell and it's always funny to catch the references to his other novels. You never know in which form and century Marius will appear

by Anonymousreply 555July 3, 2020 8:09 PM

I was thinking in reading Percival Everett's X but i have some doubts because my last attempt to satire from an african american writer was not smooth. I think Paul Beatty's The sellout has brilliant moments but in the end it felt like a very long joke (and i had the feeling that i was missing something)

by Anonymousreply 556July 4, 2020 6:57 PM

Well, i'm hating The Mezzanine (it's supposed to be funny but i just don't get it) but i'm liking X

by Anonymousreply 557July 8, 2020 8:36 PM

By the way i'm keeping on calling X to Percival Everett's novel because that's the title they gave it in Spain (for some reason) but i realized the real title is Erasure

by Anonymousreply 558July 9, 2020 2:00 PM

I just bought Cherry, i'm happy to know that Nico was released from jail. At least he got some money in the pocked when he came out of prison

by Anonymousreply 559July 10, 2020 8:05 PM

Well, i started Cherry. Till now it's a page turner but not particularly great

by Anonymousreply 560July 16, 2020 6:45 PM

I'm reading Cherry and i don't understand the hype.

To be honest the addiction to opioids is way better done and with a lot less pages on On earth we're briefly gorgeous, and the military part is not even close to Billy Lynn's long halftime walk. Even the short part of the Nix that happens on Irak is way more interesting and relatable (and it's a very small part of that story).

It's entertaining but that's basically all.

A lot of debut novels are overhyped (which sometimes ends in dissapointment in perfectly fine novels) but this is close to a trashy bestseller than anything else

by Anonymousreply 561July 20, 2020 6:00 PM

I started Girl, woman, other. My favourite books of last year were Milkman and Lincoln in the bardo so i have great expectations for another booker (they are pretty consistent lately)

by Anonymousreply 562July 23, 2020 6:52 PM

Eleni, Querelle, The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, City of Joy, and The Day of the Locust. And yes, I then watched the film versions.

by Anonymousreply 563July 23, 2020 7:16 PM

Can someone explain to me why Normal People was such a sensation? I was honestly so underwhelmed by these two boring borderline spectrum people. Did I miss something?

Just started Chiffon Trenches by ALT and LOVING it so far.

by Anonymousreply 564July 24, 2020 11:45 AM

R564 Normal people is awful, and it was the same with Conversations with friends (even i have to admit i liked that novel till i reach the middle). Rooney is one of the most overhyped and overrated young writers in recent times.

The reviews in my country were fantastic when there are a lot of great young writers that don't receive any attention

by Anonymousreply 565July 24, 2020 1:26 PM

Delighted that SHUGGIE BAIN was longlisted for the Booker. Quite an achievement for a young queer first-time novelist.

by Anonymousreply 566July 30, 2020 1:54 PM

Just started The Winter Soldier by Daniel Mason. Young, inexperienced med student gets sent to the hinterlands of Galicia during WWI to work in a first-aid station. So far, so good (I enjoyed Mason's The Piano Tuner), despite all the lice on the wounded making me itch.

by Anonymousreply 567July 30, 2020 5:48 PM

Well, the Booker was all about diversity this year. Only four men, and i think only two are straight.

Shuggie Bain looks great but i have my doubts about Real life, i read an interview with Brandon Taylor and he seems exhausting

by Anonymousreply 568August 1, 2020 10:44 AM

autobio of val kilmer, so so

catcher in rye, must read it once a yr

bio of sue mengers

novels of barbara pym

many mags

by Anonymousreply 569August 1, 2020 11:32 AM

Just reserved Shuggie Bain. Author Douglas Stuart looks more gay than queer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570August 1, 2020 11:44 AM

Currently reading "The Outsider" Stephen King.

Enjoying it so far.

by Anonymousreply 571August 1, 2020 11:45 AM

Right now, oddly enough, I'm reading Mary Renault's Fire From Heaven, about Alexander the Great. I haven't read it in maybe 15 years, but this is probably the 3-4th time I've read it. I just wanted some kind of historical something that would take me out of Coronaville. I also have Gerald Clarke's Capote on the nightstand, and an nice gossipy read about the Mountbattens, Louis & a.

by Anonymousreply 572August 1, 2020 12:03 PM

I just read a very nice short story by Allan Gurganus (The Wish for a Good Young Country Doctor).

Are his novels worth reading?

by Anonymousreply 573August 1, 2020 12:57 PM

Oldest Living Confederate Widow . . . is wonderful, but it's very long, so be prepared.

by Anonymousreply 574August 1, 2020 2:31 PM

Creation by Gore Vidal

Shuggie Bain is great - Douglas Stuart also had a story in the New Yorker (and read it on the podcast) that is very much more of the same. The character was unnamed but felt easily could have been Shuggie.

by Anonymousreply 575August 1, 2020 4:06 PM

Loved Creation.

Re-reading Steven Saylor's mysteries set in ancient Rome, starting with Roman Blood.

by Anonymousreply 576August 1, 2020 4:10 PM

I heard great things about Creation, so maybe i'll try it

by Anonymousreply 577August 1, 2020 7:05 PM

I'm reading Conversations with Friends...it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 578August 1, 2020 8:30 PM

R578 Rooney is the most overrated young author in recent times. Normal people is not better than Conversations with friends

by Anonymousreply 579August 1, 2020 8:32 PM

Finally finished A Natural and it did get better. Thanks R549 and R550 for the encouragement, definitely worth the persistence. Re-starting The Mirror ad the Light. Read about 10% of it on my laptop and got tired of the mode of reading a few months. My turn for the Kindle version came up this week.

Plugging away to get back to reading. The struggle against Internet-Addled Syndrome is real.

by Anonymousreply 580August 1, 2020 8:45 PM

R580 I think A natural first part is hard for someone who doesn't know or doesn't care about soccer. I feared that part because i knew Raisin focused totally in the sports part at the beginning of the novel.

Curiously i loved that part, maybe becaue even i don't like soccer i always found very interesting some thing related to being an athlete, like fear of failing (or fear of success), the sacrifices you make only to get near of success, the expossure to media and the fans.

I think he did a great work showing the enviroment of an small club. And i really liked the ending, realistic without being too depressing.

by Anonymousreply 581August 1, 2020 9:06 PM

R581, I agree Raisin did a great job depicting the day to day life of lower tier soccer life. I found the first half lacking of something happening but of course, the author was correct--he was laying a very solid foundation. I am a big soccer/sports fan though and though not English, I recognized many of the club names in the book.

by Anonymousreply 582August 1, 2020 10:36 PM

I ended Girl, woman, other. I liked it (some parts more than others) but not as much MIlkman or Lincoln in the bardo. Anyway Booker is doing very weel picking its winners lately.

I'm starting (and finishing because it's a short book) Train dreams, and till now i'm liking it a lot

by Anonymousreply 583August 3, 2020 7:14 PM

And yet I hear the Atwood book is not good at all. Anyone read it?

by Anonymousreply 584August 3, 2020 8:54 PM

Just finished "The Traitor's Wife." It's a fictionalized account of Benedict Arnold and his treasonous acts. It's based on actual events and a lot of what's in the book actually happened.

I usually read fluff like the books about amateur sleuths so this one surprised me. Although I am fond of the books by Philippa Gregory. She writes about the early Royal Family, i.e, The Other Boleyn Girl.

I started reading 11/22/63 sometime last year. I need to go back and re-read it from the beginning. I also read that book about early gay Hollywood (Bowers is the author.).

I like a lot of genres, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 585August 3, 2020 9:43 PM

----

by Anonymousreply 586August 3, 2020 10:09 PM

by Anonymousreply 587August 3, 2020 10:22 PM

>>>>

by Anonymousreply 588August 3, 2020 10:22 PM

by Anonymousreply 589August 3, 2020 10:22 PM

&&&&

by Anonymousreply 590August 3, 2020 10:22 PM

####

by Anonymousreply 591August 3, 2020 10:24 PM

####

by Anonymousreply 592August 3, 2020 10:24 PM

~~~~

by Anonymousreply 593August 3, 2020 10:24 PM

by Anonymousreply 594August 3, 2020 10:25 PM

____

by Anonymousreply 595August 3, 2020 10:25 PM

@@@@

by Anonymousreply 596August 3, 2020 10:25 PM

>>>>

by Anonymousreply 597August 3, 2020 10:25 PM

<<<<

by Anonymousreply 598August 3, 2020 10:25 PM

!!!!

by Anonymousreply 599August 3, 2020 10:25 PM

by Anonymousreply 600August 3, 2020 10:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!