Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Olivia de H. Is an epic bitch

Watch her shit all over her co-star and explain why and how she Should have won best actress in a leading role in GWTW. Un fucking believable. Starts @33'15

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532December 8, 2020 3:17 PM

At 33'15, That cunt Olivia starts explaining why and how she should have won the academy award for best actress in a leading role in GWTW instead of Vivien Leigh because, quote, lots of people preferred Melanie over Scarlett, and how, quote, she was robbed and dumped in the supporting category, and then, voters weren't fooled because they knew she was in fact the lead, and how God doesn't exist because even then, Mamy won. FOR REAL PEOPLE. THAT'S HOW STUPID AND ENTITLED THIS OLD HAG IS

by Anonymousreply 1December 30, 2019 2:23 PM

Cunt. Die already.

by Anonymousreply 2December 30, 2019 2:24 PM

Not a word for Hattie's historic win

by Anonymousreply 3December 30, 2019 2:26 PM

How is she still alive?

by Anonymousreply 4December 30, 2019 2:26 PM

Alzheimer's

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 30, 2019 2:27 PM

Suck it Olivia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 30, 2019 2:27 PM

Indeed Suck it Livvie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 30, 2019 2:29 PM

Thanks so much for creating this thread OP! I'm shocked she is so delusional and self-important.

by Anonymousreply 8December 30, 2019 2:30 PM

Rare footage of Olivia running to the coconut Grove stage to grab the Oscar while Leigh and McDaniel try and fail to stop her from making a fool of herself

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 30, 2019 2:33 PM

R9 I bet Ashley's breath stank after all that time in the army!

by Anonymousreply 10December 30, 2019 2:36 PM

Hattie McDaniel acted de Havilland's ass right off the screen. That's why she won. She gave a far better performance.

Melanie Hamilton is a poorly drawn character present only to thwart Scarlett. de Havilland never cracked the problem of how to make something of such a sappy role. Mammy was a rich role for a character actress and McDaniel ran with it. She thoroughly deserved that Oscar.

But that video makes it clear why Joan Fontaine, no ray of happy sunshine, had nothing to do with her cunting awful sister.

by Anonymousreply 11December 30, 2019 2:38 PM

R11 is right. De Havilland played a sickly sweet non-character in a sickly sweet way. She didn't deserve a nomination much less an award. What a delusional old cunt.

by Anonymousreply 12December 30, 2019 2:41 PM

I'll never forgive her for this, she's ruined the movie for me!

by Anonymousreply 13December 30, 2019 2:42 PM

Finally she is having her comeuppance. AND she broke my collar bone AND she banned me from mother's funeral

by Anonymousreply 14December 30, 2019 2:42 PM

She was a camp a scamp and a bit of a tramp and she'll out live you bitter queens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 30, 2019 2:42 PM

Sorry, R15. Ava Gardner has been dead for decades.

by Anonymousreply 16December 30, 2019 2:44 PM

You pitiful nancy boys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 30, 2019 2:45 PM

Are you sure OP’s pic isn’t of Barbara Bush?

by Anonymousreply 18December 30, 2019 2:47 PM

I thought she was going to redeem herself when she spoke about waking up with a new perspective, thinking it was great Hattie won. I hoped she was going to concede that Hattie was terrific.

But no, she thought it was great that voters weren't fooled into thinking she was supporting and therefore went for Hattie. Jeepers.

by Anonymousreply 19December 30, 2019 2:48 PM

R20, he must have boned melly to death that night, can you imagine? 5 years without getting any, no wonder she died.

by Anonymousreply 20December 30, 2019 2:48 PM

Looks like the bitch the birthed Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 21December 30, 2019 2:49 PM

Meant R10

by Anonymousreply 22December 30, 2019 2:49 PM

Attention: Kiss my asssssss!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 30, 2019 2:50 PM

[quote] I thought she was going to redeem herself when she spoke about waking up with a new perspective, thinking it was great Hattie won. I hoped she was going to concede that Hattie was terrific.

But no, she thought it was great that voters weren't fooled into thinking she was supporting and therefore went for Hattie. Jeepers.p

I felt totally raped by that interview too. Unbelievable

by Anonymousreply 24December 30, 2019 2:51 PM

Believe it, R24. The only thing unbelievable about that video is that a film star spoke so candidly and truthfully. There is ENORMOUS narcissism in show business. But they usually work to cover it up when they go out in public.

If you're there every day and working in it, there is nothing surprising at all about what de Havilland had to say. It was absolutely standard. Everything boils down to, 'Why am I being robbed of the recognition I so richly deserve????!!!!!!'

by Anonymousreply 25December 30, 2019 2:55 PM

So by her logic, Selznik wouldn't put her and Leigh into the same category so that GWTW actresses wouldn't cancel each other out, but he put her and McDaniel into the same category so .... they could cancel each other out? Melanie was a supporting character and Olivia was a supporting actress. She wasn't in Leigh or McDaniel's league that year. He delusion is insane.

by Anonymousreply 26December 30, 2019 2:56 PM

R26 I think she qualifies that by saying it was essential to the movies success that it win Best Actress. Don't have any idea where she got that notion from.

by Anonymousreply 27December 30, 2019 3:01 PM

Just think, she might easily have passed away without divulging any of this and thereby forever kept the saintly glow that is hers by sheer longevity. But no.

by Anonymousreply 28December 30, 2019 3:02 PM

How can she even believe that she is a lead in the fucking movie ??? Didn't she WATCH the shit? Leigh is in every frame of the over-4-hours piece of shit delivering the performance of the century. She has like, 5 scenes!!! Is she NUTS??? Not to even mention the ' Hattie won because there's no God ' debacle

by Anonymousreply 29December 30, 2019 3:02 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she made that up out of her own delusion, R27.

by Anonymousreply 30December 30, 2019 3:03 PM

We now know who ' the craziest bitch on Hollywood ' is, Datalounge

by Anonymousreply 31December 30, 2019 3:06 PM

The all ' They couldn't nominate me for best actress in GWTW because I would have canceled Leigh. O d H. ' business is too much. This is EPIC. Fucking hilarious

by Anonymousreply 32December 30, 2019 3:37 PM

Vivian Leigh is seared into the collective consciousness forever with her “I’ll never go hungry again” and Olivia is nothing but a little rat fart.

by Anonymousreply 33December 30, 2019 3:37 PM

Does anyone know the part in "BROKEN HEARTS CLUB" when Dean Cain's character says, "I'm not a fucking extra". haha. I picture Olivia saying it exactly the same way. "I'm not a fucking supporting actress". lmao. She has ruined her image forever.

by Anonymousreply 34December 30, 2019 3:52 PM

[quote] We now know who ' the craziest bitch on Hollywood ' is, Datalounge

Paris, dear. Paris.

by Anonymousreply 35December 30, 2019 5:11 PM

You queens need to get over you grandmother issues. She left you out of her will for reasons which are known to you.

by Anonymousreply 36December 30, 2019 5:14 PM

Olivia was just arrested for being the serial shitter at the mall in Aurora , CO.

by Anonymousreply 37December 30, 2019 5:19 PM

LIVVIE...EVERYONE KNOWS YOU FUCKED ME !!!!!

by Anonymousreply 38December 30, 2019 5:27 PM

The old bitch should brag that she fucked Flynn. I would.

by Anonymousreply 39December 30, 2019 5:30 PM

I wouldn't brag I fucked a bisex nazi pedo

by Anonymousreply 40December 30, 2019 5:33 PM

Olivia , dahlink , everyone knows , I would only have a SAINT , FOR A BESTIE .

by Anonymousreply 41December 30, 2019 5:37 PM

And I'm supposed to be the bitch of all bitches...

by Anonymousreply 42December 30, 2019 5:40 PM

Vivian is in almost every scene, while Melanie was a one note performance imo. She’s won two Oscars. I can’t believe she still feels this way. She burst into tears when she lost and had to be practically shoved in Hatties direction to congratulate her.

by Anonymousreply 43December 30, 2019 5:55 PM

That bitch is working my last nerve

by Anonymousreply 44December 30, 2019 5:59 PM

In her defense...she is conflating “lead” with “star” and so in that mindset, a star would not be nominated for supporting. Note how she clumsily brings Goodbye Mr. Chips into the discussion, by comparing her situation to that of Greer Garson, the female star of that film who was nominated in the lead category despite it clearly being a supporting role. It’s basically the reverse thinking of today, where stars gladly go slumming in supporting despite being a co-lead.

Note: I am saying that’s her perception, not mine, of her position in the film.

by Anonymousreply 45December 30, 2019 6:12 PM

R45 true. I consider Gable more of a glorified supporting turn then lead. He doesn’t have much screen time in the first half. But there’s no way Gable would’ve tolerated being in supporting. Olivia believes she was a star on the level with Gable (not imo in that time period), and shouldn’t have been in the category. The story is told from Scarletts point of view. The cast is so large, pretty much everyone is supporting except Leigh. Even though Gable has much more screen time in the last half.

by Anonymousreply 46December 30, 2019 6:19 PM

I understand the significance of Hattie winning but I still don't think it was an Oscar worthy performance. Not her fault, blacks were not given good roles. But I never found anything special in her mammy performance. She was good when The kid died, but still not Oscar worthy or notable. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 47December 30, 2019 6:24 PM

I don't see why we are shitting on Olivia for being candid about her feelings. Did we all rip Bette Davis apart when she said she turned down playing Scarlett?

I think Viv and Hattie would get a big kick out of this and smile about it actually. They are in Heaven wondering how this lady is still alive when God took them both so early.

Maybe it was her sense of entitlement, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 48December 30, 2019 6:24 PM

I don't think Gable was nominated in any category for Rhett was he? I mean even England's own Leigh had the balls to try a southern accent, and she had never set foot in the USA prior to auditionning.

by Anonymousreply 49December 30, 2019 6:25 PM

I love her but shes she's so delusional. She thinks she was the lead in GWTW 😂

by Anonymousreply 50December 30, 2019 6:26 PM

R49 in lead. Lost to Robert Donat in Goodbye Mr. Chips.

by Anonymousreply 51December 30, 2019 6:27 PM

Bette NEVER said she had turned down Scarlett. Even in old age she was giving bitter interviews saying she should have won the part. She said she was approached by Mayer as a package with Flynn for Rhett, and replied she wouldn't do it with HIM

by Anonymousreply 52December 30, 2019 6:29 PM

R47 it’s generally conceded that Hattie won for the staircase scene, talking to Melanie near the end about the goings on between Rhett and Scarlett. Reportedly Academy members were in tears watching it along with audiences obviously.

by Anonymousreply 53December 30, 2019 6:30 PM

Olivia should have played Scarlett, the two-faced bitch with a slight veneer of good manners, and Vivien should have played the exquisite Melanie with her tiny frame and heart shaped face

by Anonymousreply 54December 30, 2019 6:32 PM

My mother 's favorite moment in all of GWTW is Mamy' s face when Scarlett puts her hand in Frank Kennedy 's pocket

by Anonymousreply 55December 30, 2019 6:34 PM

If she really wanted to play the part she would have played it with anyone. Thus she turned down the part by default.

by Anonymousreply 56December 30, 2019 6:34 PM

I was going to blame dementia until I realized it said 2006. Yikes.

I guess this further cements Olivia's DL icon status.

by Anonymousreply 57December 30, 2019 6:41 PM

I love starting threads from being the grave.

by Anonymousreply 58December 30, 2019 6:47 PM

Mother told me Olivia was born with both a dingle and a hoo-hoo.

by Anonymousreply 59December 30, 2019 6:57 PM

R56, she was intelligent enough to know that Flynn was wrong for the part. She thought Scarlett was written for HER . Same with Hepburn, that silly dyke, who pretends in her stupid autobio that she was the dark horse until they saw Leigh. They all knew a good part when they saw one. Davis gave an written interview about how great she would have been if they had agreed to loan her, in the 80's. It's somewhere on the web, at larry&viv.com or something.

by Anonymousreply 60December 30, 2019 7:02 PM

What a melodramatic cunt. She truly is DL’s spirit animal. She temporarily stopped believing in god because she lost the fucking Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 61December 30, 2019 7:05 PM

She who outlives everyone gets to rewrite history.

by Anonymousreply 62December 30, 2019 7:07 PM

Olivia gave great performance and was able to bring strengh to it. Viven’s Scarlett was a starring role and her performance was the only one that counted. She deserved her Oscar. So did Hattie who was sensational and who wasn’t even invited to the premiere. Olivia was good but nowhere near as good as those two. But she was honest in the interview, stupid but honest. I wonder how many actors think the same way when Oscar nominations are announced.

by Anonymousreply 63December 30, 2019 7:14 PM

Leigh and Mc Daniel were so far out of de Haviland 's league, or the rest of the cast for that matter (sauf Prissy, Pittypat, and Gerald but these are tiny parts) that it's ridiculous for her to even think she could rival their iconic performances. She should have shut her cocksheeth and remained the unsung hero of the movie. Now she has ruined her legacy for ever.

by Anonymousreply 64December 30, 2019 7:20 PM

Olivia gave a flawless performance. In no way was she out of her league. Call her what you want but nobody could have played that part better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 30, 2019 7:40 PM

Really R65? Nobody?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 30, 2019 7:48 PM

..A swaahrm of killaahhr beeeeees...

by Anonymousreply 67December 30, 2019 7:53 PM

[quote] Olivia de H. Is an epic bitch

Well, duh.

by Anonymousreply 68December 30, 2019 7:55 PM

R66, What would you have done with the part? You were busy being overshadowed by Crawford and Russell at the time!

by Anonymousreply 69December 30, 2019 7:56 PM

Well R69, not too busy for the academy... MOVIE STARS WIN AWARDS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 30, 2019 8:01 PM

The staircase scene is shot in one long take. Hattie’s performance is remarkable.

by Anonymousreply 71December 30, 2019 8:03 PM

The only good scene where Olivia stood out was encouraging Scarlett to go through the dead soldier's pockets. She added something to a dull characterisation.

by Anonymousreply 72December 30, 2019 8:05 PM

LOL..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 30, 2019 8:05 PM

Ona Munson gave a more nuanced performance as Belle Watling than Olivia did as Melanie.

by Anonymousreply 74December 30, 2019 8:08 PM

I love that old tart Belle!

by Anonymousreply 75December 30, 2019 8:10 PM

Cammie King gave a more nuanced performance as Bonnie ' blue' Butler than Olivia did as Melanie

by Anonymousreply 76December 30, 2019 8:14 PM

Olivia never forgave Joan Fontaine for winning an Oscar before her.

Olivia broke Hattie's collar bone for winning the Oscar over her for GWTW.

by Anonymousreply 77December 30, 2019 8:17 PM

R70, you won your only Oscar before I won my two. You died first.

I still win!

by Anonymousreply 78December 30, 2019 8:18 PM

Her last words were about me.

by Anonymousreply 79December 30, 2019 8:20 PM

Not after this thread!

by Anonymousreply 80December 30, 2019 8:20 PM

I like Olivia as Melanie as much as I'd like anyone in that one-dimensional, goody-goody role. But come on. Bitch is delusional.

by Anonymousreply 81December 30, 2019 8:22 PM

[quote] Watch her shit all over her co-star

I hope you mean this figuratively!

by Anonymousreply 82December 30, 2019 8:32 PM

She is crazy if she thinks voters go for an actor because they like their character best!

by Anonymousreply 83December 30, 2019 8:39 PM

She actually doesn't badmouth either Vivien or Hattie--she seems to think she would have won over Vivien had she been nominated, which i don't think anyone else believes, but that's not the same thing as "shitting all over" Vivien.

I will say, though, that she spent her life being much too competitive and awards-obsessed. I think this all stems from the crazy mother she and Joan had who made them compete with one another. De Havilland won two Oscars, which is pretty remarkable all things considered--she was not awesomely naturally talented (the way Bette Davis was, as she admitted), and only one of those two performances is truly a legendary (for "The Heiress"). Her notorious decades-long fury at losing out to her sister at the Oscars for 1941 has always seemed bizarre to me, since Joan is pretty objectively better in "Suspicion" than Olivia was in "Hold back the Dawn," and Joan really won it anyway for her performance in "Rebecca" the year before, which is another truly legendary performance. But I think it had much more to do with her thinking she was the real actress in the family and that Joan had no business even being nominated because she was inferior to her.

I think both De Havilland sisters were really fucked up by their mother, and they grew up to be pretty mean women. But they were both beautiful, and they both had genuine acting talent, although Olivia had greater range. (Joan was lucky she got three superb roles that fit her talents exactly: "Rebecca," "Suspicion," and "Letter from an Unknown Woman")

by Anonymousreply 84December 30, 2019 8:43 PM

[quote] [R53] I feel the same way. She made a complete fool of herself and insulted both Vivien and Hattie. And who the fuck would vote for an actor because they liked the character better?

—Aileen Wuornos

I am not the only person who thinks she insulted both Vivien and Hattie

by Anonymousreply 85December 30, 2019 8:47 PM

[quote] I think that cockamamie video of Olivia shitting all over her co-stars needs its own thread! Get the word out!

—Anonymous

There

by Anonymousreply 86December 30, 2019 8:50 PM

She said she thought they would cancel each other out if they were both in the lead category.

She lauds other actresses from that year but not a word of praise for how deserving her own co-stars were and she surely witbessed first hand how hard Leigh worked on her performance. Olivia just comes off as self-obsessed and lacking insight through this.

by Anonymousreply 87December 30, 2019 8:50 PM

R86 OP that was my request and I thank you! I really was shocked she could believe this crap.

by Anonymousreply 88December 30, 2019 8:53 PM

[quote] Olivia=cold-sliced cunt.

—Anonymous

reply 527 hours ago [R41] Papa Tooney we have a looney! haha. So, they only voted for Hattie because they knew Olivia was not a supporting actress but a lead and a STAR. And GOD didn't exist because she didn't win. What in the fuck? She is crazy as cat shit. I always liked her in GWTW but I will never be able to watch that movie the same now. Thank you for posting. What a freak.

by Anonymousreply 89December 30, 2019 8:53 PM

[quote] [R41] I'm shocked Olivia actually believed she was a lead actress in Gone With The Wind and she was crushed to be in supporting. Bitch extraordanire.

—Anonymous

by Anonymousreply 90December 30, 2019 8:55 PM

"Same with Hepburn, that silly dyke, who pretends in her stupid autobio"

R60=silly cunt.

by Anonymousreply 91December 30, 2019 8:57 PM

r87, unclench.

by Anonymousreply 92December 30, 2019 8:57 PM

Olivia was a cunt, but her sister was not shrinking violet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 30, 2019 9:04 PM

I don't even remember her in the movie.

I do remember the sweet Auntie Jemima character. Was it who they based the syrup on because she was so sweet? Well only Scarlett and Hattie and Brett were memorable.

Was Liz Taylor in it too? The girl with the horse? I don't. I like her sister Joan Fontaine better.

by Anonymousreply 94December 30, 2019 9:15 PM

Rare and unseen candid footage of Olivia de Haviland driving Vivien Leigh home after Oscar night. Vivien had had a few drinks too many and asked Olivia for a lift. Unknown to Olivia, Leigh 's car was equipped with a CCTV cam

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 30, 2019 9:16 PM

Did anyone else laugh when Bonnie Blue went flying?

by Anonymousreply 96December 30, 2019 9:17 PM

R96 = Olivia

by Anonymousreply 97December 30, 2019 9:18 PM

Joan was good in those ingenue roles, her transition (around or in Born to be Bad) to haughty society matrons marked a decline in career, not just at the time. Those roles seem to get no love now.

by Anonymousreply 98December 30, 2019 9:34 PM

I like her in Ivanoe

by Anonymousreply 99December 30, 2019 9:45 PM

To say anyone but Leigh would win that year is almost sacrilegious. Even Bette who I would have taken a bullet for has been quoted she should have won for Dark Victory.

Also Robert Osbourne has dismissed any claims Bette was offered Scarlet. She had just won an Oscar for playing a scheming southern belle in 1938`s Jezebel and she did do a 1939 film with Errol Flynn Elizabeth and Essex.

by Anonymousreply 100December 30, 2019 9:48 PM

The best actress lineup was packed with legendary actresses giving iconic performances. It was the only year that best actress and supporting actress wins were deserved, except for 1952, obviously for the same reason

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101December 30, 2019 9:53 PM

Let's give her due. Olivia was very good and she was probably a close second to the very deserving Hattie.

I always thought it was cool that way back in 1939 Hollywood gave a black woman an Oscar until I found out how she was treated.

by Anonymousreply 102December 30, 2019 9:54 PM

Only at Data Lounge does Olivia de Havilland still retain this sort of currency.

That goes double for her sister.

Oh, my people, my people.

by Anonymousreply 103December 30, 2019 9:57 PM

Would Olivia have been a credit to her race?

by Anonymousreply 104December 30, 2019 9:57 PM

I'm always mixed about De Havilland's performance as Melanie. She's too good to be true, but that is how Margaret Mitchell wrote her--and we all know people in life like her.

But I always think of Dinah Shore playing the character "Melodie" in the famous parody "Went with the Wind" on the old "Carol Burnett Show." She is so sugary that when "Starlett" (Carol Burnett) says to her snidely, "Melodie, why don't you go stick your head in the punchbowl," Melodie sweetly responds, "All right!" and proceeds to do exactly that. But at the end, when she's finally dying, she kicks Starlett down the Tara staircase.

by Anonymousreply 105December 30, 2019 9:58 PM

[quote]She burst into tears when she lost and had to be practically shoved in Hatties direction to congratulate her.

I thought (and it appears so in the clips above) that the nominees already knew who won.

R102, are you referring to how Hattie M. was treated by the Academy, or just generally in Hollywood? Curious to know what happened aside from the usual prejudices of the time.

by Anonymousreply 106December 30, 2019 10:06 PM

Vivien 's win was announced on the newspapers the night before the ceremony. It was a major blooper

by Anonymousreply 107December 30, 2019 10:07 PM

Oscars are so bought

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108December 30, 2019 10:10 PM

I believe I read Hattie wasn't allowed to come in the front door of the Oscar's. Also she wasn't allowed to attend the premiere also Reportedly this made Gable so mad he thought about not attending himself. Sadly he only thought.

by Anonymousreply 109December 30, 2019 10:56 PM

R109 I believe Hattie convinced him to go for the good of promoting their movie.

by Anonymousreply 110December 30, 2019 11:10 PM

Leigh was with Olivier at the premiere and they were both married to other people, and with children. Oliver's presence was explained as ' the lead in a forthcoming Selznick production (Rebecca) '. The rumor is that Selznick approached Fontaine for the part of Melanie, and she advised him to give it to her sister, hence his decision to cast her in Rebecca, because she was so modest and self deprecating.

by Anonymousreply 111December 30, 2019 11:17 PM

I don't know nothin' about this bitchy lady.

by Anonymousreply 112December 30, 2019 11:27 PM

Self-absorbed old cunt to the bitter end.

by Anonymousreply 113December 30, 2019 11:29 PM

She lost faith in God when Hattie won. Imagine if Butterfly had been nominated too ( and rightly so) and tied with Hattie?

by Anonymousreply 114December 30, 2019 11:31 PM

Joan was such a pretentious old fool. This interview never fails to deliver the laughs, especially how Olivia kept their mother's death from Joan.

That Olivia was a hardcore bitch and she knew just how to get under her sister's skin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115December 30, 2019 11:34 PM

Yeah, R115, what could be funnier than not telling your sister her mother died? You're as big a cunt as Livvie. Hope she dies soon.

by Anonymousreply 116December 30, 2019 11:36 PM

@R115 Olivia, we know it's you

by Anonymousreply 117December 30, 2019 11:37 PM

Olivia was bitter that she was nominated in supporting. She thinks of herself as a big star and to be considered "supporting" was a major come down for her. Until Jane Fonda and Jack Nicholson were nominated in the supporting category in the early 1980s, the "stars" were only nominated in lead. Remember Rosalind Russell having a cow when she heard the studio was going to push her for a supporting nomination for Picnic? She said she'd rather not be nominated than be nominated for supporting.

by Anonymousreply 118December 30, 2019 11:39 PM

Why did she buy a cow R118?

by Anonymousreply 119December 30, 2019 11:42 PM

[quote] Remember Rosalind Russell having a cow when she heard the studio was going to push her for a supporting nomination for Picnic? She said she'd rather not be nominated than be nominated for supporting.

Well, she wasn't nominated, so she got her wish. And she never won an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 120December 30, 2019 11:54 PM

Not surprise by any of this. Hollywood has always been filled with drama queens. But I guess that's part of the fun of being in showbiz.

by Anonymousreply 121December 30, 2019 11:54 PM

Moo-Moo...Moo-Moo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122December 30, 2019 11:59 PM

[quote] Hollywood has always been filled with drama queens.

Yes, but at least we’re queens not mere inverts like all of you.

by Anonymousreply 123December 31, 2019 12:01 AM

And what are YOU exactly, on DL, R123? Silly twat.

by Anonymousreply 124December 31, 2019 12:04 AM

Olivia comes across as slightly nutty on the Bette Davis "This Is Your Life" episode.

Watching Joan Fontaine's Youtube clips, I like her. She has a sense of humour about herself and her career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125December 31, 2019 12:10 AM

Is this going to be the latest Jani Lane thread?

by Anonymousreply 126December 31, 2019 12:13 AM

O. de H. may have the same delusional, narcissistic personality disorder that our President suffers from.

by Anonymousreply 127December 31, 2019 12:14 AM

Olivia is so cringey, fake and bitchy I couldn’t get past And THIS time SHE was Errol’s leading lady!

Meanwhile Bette in her black gloves comes across as fun and relaxed.

by Anonymousreply 128December 31, 2019 12:16 AM

I was referring to R125

by Anonymousreply 129December 31, 2019 12:16 AM

I stood up for Hattie.

by Anonymousreply 130December 31, 2019 12:29 AM

She won two Best Actress Oscars in the forties; that wasn’t enough for her?

by Anonymousreply 131December 31, 2019 12:34 AM

Well, R131, after all--this is a cunt who wouldn't tell her sister their mother was dead. That kind of a sociopath could win 5 Oscars and it wouldn't be enough.

by Anonymousreply 132December 31, 2019 12:39 AM

Dance like no one's watching....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133December 31, 2019 12:45 AM

Me, r132???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134December 31, 2019 12:49 AM

My heart always went out for Joan Fontaine...she seemed intimidated by Olivia. As a younger sibling who was tortured by an older brother...whom everyone thought was perfect, I can relate.

by Anonymousreply 135December 31, 2019 12:54 AM

Must have burned Cunty Livvie's ass that her hated younger sis Joan won the Oscar first.

by Anonymousreply 136December 31, 2019 12:57 AM

Thanks, OP. Her best interview.

And I learned they had the game "Battleship" before the 1960's.

by Anonymousreply 137December 31, 2019 4:23 AM

That will be six dollars Livy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138December 31, 2019 4:24 AM

[quote] De Havilland played a sickly sweet non-character in a sickly sweet way.

The character was unbelievably sweet and one-dimensional. Even as a child, the character seemed unbelievable and dumb to me. Not sure if the writing was bad or the acting was bad.

Then, I watched "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte" and it was like looking at the other side of a coin. De Havilland as an ostensibly sweet but actually evil woman, gaslighting poor Bette Davis. If you liked "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane," then you will like Hush Hush.

ODH could have, at the very least, acknowledged that Vivien Leigh brought life and charisma to the Scarlett role. ODH was right in that there will always be fans who prefer the more sweet and boring character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139December 31, 2019 6:46 AM

I loved it, OP. Sassy Biotch.

by Anonymousreply 140December 31, 2019 7:26 AM

[quote] If you liked "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane," then you will like Hush Hush.

Not necessarily.

by Anonymousreply 141December 31, 2019 1:45 PM

R141 got that exactly right.

by Anonymousreply 142December 31, 2019 1:57 PM

Yep, what R141 and R142 said.

by Anonymousreply 143December 31, 2019 2:14 PM

I was the lead in ' pretty woman ' but they couldn't nominate me because I would have canceled Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 144December 31, 2019 3:00 PM

WHET you, LSG?

by Anonymousreply 145December 31, 2019 3:04 PM

At that time Supporting really did mean Supporting.

Not like today.

That's probably what she meant.

by Anonymousreply 146December 31, 2019 3:06 PM

Supporting is exactly what she was doing in GWTW, and she states several times that she was the LEAD.

by Anonymousreply 147December 31, 2019 3:14 PM

She made up bullshit to make herself look more important and a bigger star than she clearly was in that movie. It was absolutely a supporting part, and instead of considering herself lucky to be nominated for playing a dull part in a dull way, she trivialized the significance of Hattie McDaniel and attempted to minimize the real star of the film, Vivien Leigh, who would have beat her hands down even if, ludicrously, she had been nominated in the leading actress category, which of course never would have happened. De Havilland is just an old asshole.

by Anonymousreply 148December 31, 2019 3:16 PM

In the '30s Supporting meant character roles.

She was a leading lady in her own right.

I'm not thinking about CZJ's category fraud nom for Chicago something she never would've gotten away with in 1939.

by Anonymousreply 149December 31, 2019 3:19 PM

I'm NOW thinking of

by Anonymousreply 150December 31, 2019 3:22 PM

She was not a leading lady in that movie. She must have known that. Since when is GWTW the story of Melanie?? That's laughable. I am not even convinced that she has more screentime than Hattie. She must be on a par with Prissy and Gerald

by Anonymousreply 151December 31, 2019 3:23 PM

R145 I got fat

by Anonymousreply 152December 31, 2019 3:24 PM

She was a leading lady, even though the role wasn't lead.

Gable was billed above Leigh on the posters, OdH the same size print...

by Anonymousreply 153December 31, 2019 3:27 PM

R153 Gable was a megastar, and the leading man. Leigh was a COMPLETELY unknown player but clearly the lead. Scarlett fucking O'Hara IS GWTW. O. d. H was technically a bigger star than Leigh, but not IN THE MOVIE. She was not nominated for her entire career but for this specific part. What are you? A trannie insisting that you are a real woman and only a woman??

by Anonymousreply 154December 31, 2019 3:35 PM

Well, that took a... strange... turn.

by Anonymousreply 155December 31, 2019 3:39 PM

"A trannie insisting that you are a real woman and only a woman??"

What's THAT about, R154? Someone needs her Midol STAT.

by Anonymousreply 156December 31, 2019 3:39 PM

Well, delusional people support each other

by Anonymousreply 157December 31, 2019 3:41 PM

There was one lead female role, and only one, and that was Vivien Leigh's role. Period. FFS, the first words of the book are "Scarlett O'Hara..."

To a fat, crackling grease fire with you, Melanie, you cunt!

by Anonymousreply 158December 31, 2019 3:43 PM

Olivia gives a great performance making sense of an impossible role. She is believable and considering what a full of herself movie star she was none of it shows through which makes it all the more remarkable. And she is great in The Heiress holding her own against a titan like Ralph Richardson.

by Anonymousreply 159December 31, 2019 3:45 PM

The trannies on this board will insist that de Haviland was the leadin GWTW... Sad and twisted. Be gone with you de Haviland, and take your trannies with you, CUNT

by Anonymousreply 160December 31, 2019 3:46 PM

R160, her reputation is tarnished as a petty, deceitful, self-aggrandizing, mean-spirited, lying cunt.

R160--don't worry! We're calling Bellevue for you. The rubber room is being reserved for you. We'll get you the help you need, honey.

by Anonymousreply 161December 31, 2019 3:48 PM

That first was for R159. Happy New Year, Bitches!

by Anonymousreply 162December 31, 2019 3:48 PM

And from Tara to TERF-a...

*unclicks threadwatcher*

by Anonymousreply 163December 31, 2019 3:49 PM

Olivia de Havilland's a case study in the problem of living too long.

by Anonymousreply 164December 31, 2019 3:49 PM

If you read the book, Leigh manages to deliver every nuance and layer of this complex part in her performance. De Haviland is just giving a generic supporting performance that has very little to do with the character as written in the novel. She doesn't even look right for the part. They should have cast her sister, or Geraldine Fitzgerald, or Silvia Sidney

by Anonymousreply 165December 31, 2019 3:50 PM

At the end of the day,it astonishes me that Melanie Hamilton is STILL alive ! Every time I think of that it floors me.

by Anonymousreply 166December 31, 2019 3:52 PM

Well, R166, this is a new year.

by Anonymousreply 167December 31, 2019 3:53 PM

Y'all may think de Havilland had a supporting role in GWTW, but Scarlett, Rhett, Ashley, and Melanie are the leading roles. Olivia is absolutely correct that she had star billing, too. Her conclusion that Selznick protected Leigh by pushing Olivia into the Supporting Actress category is also correct.

The Academy Awards are a mammoth marketing campaign. It was best for the film for Leigh to win Best Actress. De Havilland is a pro. She knows how this works.

by Anonymousreply 168December 31, 2019 3:53 PM

Luise Rainer lived to be 104.

by Anonymousreply 169December 31, 2019 3:54 PM

Oh, honey, R168. Do you honestly expect us to believe Vivien Leigh were equal leading ladies in that movie, like Bancrodt and MacLaine in The Turning Point, or Baxter and Davis in All About Eve? Oh, my sides!

by Anonymousreply 170December 31, 2019 3:55 PM

*Vivien Leigh and Cunty Livvie were equal leading ladies

by Anonymousreply 171December 31, 2019 3:56 PM

You know what proves you wrong, R168? Screen time.

by Anonymousreply 172December 31, 2019 3:57 PM

I told y'all bitches that she was toxic.

by Anonymousreply 173December 31, 2019 3:57 PM

R161 Your foolishness is believing movie stars are basically self effacing modest people who genuinely care about other actors and their fans when they'd happily sacrifice their first born for an Oscar. None of them are nice people. Enjoy them from a distance.

by Anonymousreply 174December 31, 2019 3:57 PM

Since when did I say any of that, fool R174? Certainly some are nicer than others but few are such cunts and for as long as Livvie has been. Now do fuck off with your mansplaining.

by Anonymousreply 175December 31, 2019 4:00 PM

[quote] Olivia de H. Is an epic bitch

It takes one to know one

by Anonymousreply 176December 31, 2019 4:03 PM

That includes everyone on this thread. Looking at you, R176.

by Anonymousreply 177December 31, 2019 4:04 PM

WINNER VIVIEN LEIGH Gone with the Wind NOMINEES BETTE DAVIS Dark Victory IRENE DUNNE Love Affair GRETA GARBO Ninotchka GREER GARSON Goodbye, Mr. Chips Clearly Ollie had as many chances to fit in that category that year as a snowball in hell. She was lucky to even land a nomination in the best actress in a SUPPORTING part category. The truth is they pushed her UP in that category, and clearly they knew it wasn't even a problem for McDaniel, who just acted her stinking Japanese ass off the screen in her first scene at the window of Tara.

by Anonymousreply 178December 31, 2019 4:05 PM

LOL at all the big Marys in here having an aneurysm over the possibly senile musings of a then 90-year-old actress about a film she'd appeared in 67 years prior.

by Anonymousreply 179December 31, 2019 4:08 PM

R178, JAPANESE ASS ??? WTF THIS AIN'T TORA TORA TORA

by Anonymousreply 180December 31, 2019 4:31 PM

EVEN THOMAS MITCHELL WON THAT YEAR HAHAHA HAHAHA, EVERY FUCKING BODY WENT HOME WITH AN OSCAR THAT NIGHT EXCEPT YOU OLIVIA, YOU CUNT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181December 31, 2019 4:32 PM

R180 she's fucking Japanese, didn't you know? Bitch was born in Tokyo

by Anonymousreply 182December 31, 2019 4:34 PM

LOL that Mary R179 thinks she's superior--you're on this thread, Cunty!

by Anonymousreply 183December 31, 2019 4:39 PM

I agree with R168 - Melanie was a lead role.

She was the center of every scene she was in.

She was a catalyst for much of the story’s action.

Melanie was the moral center of the story and still got down in the mud to survive - she is the standard Scarlett at first resents and then emulates when vowing to never be hungry again.

Her treatment of Belle.

Her insistence that everyone include Scarlett.

When the authorities came to make arrests, everyone followed Melanie’s lead to thwart them.

Her death scene affected everyone, especially Rhett and Scarlett.

Belle, Mammy, Prissy, and I would argue Ashley, R168 were supporting roles.

by Anonymousreply 184December 31, 2019 4:42 PM

A legendary legend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185December 31, 2019 4:45 PM

R184 You obviously never saw that movie.. She's the center of every scene she's in... LOL

by Anonymousreply 186December 31, 2019 4:46 PM

R184, do you not understand that screen time in a 4-hour movie determines who the leads are? Hence, Melanie was a supporting character and Cunty Livvie was a supporting actress.

by Anonymousreply 187December 31, 2019 4:48 PM

Hilarious this bitch brought a bogus lawsuit against the FEUD makers claiming defamation for being portrayed as a trash-talking bitch when she's proved that in life every day she draws breath!

by Anonymousreply 188December 31, 2019 4:50 PM

There is only 1 lead in that movie and it's Leigh. Thread closed

by Anonymousreply 189December 31, 2019 4:50 PM

[quote] WTF THIS AIN'T TORA TORA TORA

TARA! TARA! TARA!

by Anonymousreply 190December 31, 2019 4:52 PM

Some of the Queens on this thread think that because they have Netflix subscription they know something about movies. They know nothing about movies and even less about the movie business.

For the logic of many of these arguments to hold up, all of the contractual particulars about billing would have to be decided after the film was shot and edited. Utterly ridiculous. Olivia de Havilland was an established star and established leading lady when she was offered the part of Melanie Hamilton, which was offered to her as a starring role as proven by her billing.

To argue that Olivia de Havilland did not have a starring role in Gone With the Wind requires pig-headed ignorance. "Starring...." It is printed on all promotional materials. Both Selznick and de Havilland agreed that she was starring in Gone With the Wind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191December 31, 2019 4:54 PM

Did she ever win the Sarah Siddons Award for Distinguished Achievement?

by Anonymousreply 192December 31, 2019 4:55 PM

The original poster, you silly cunt R190. Whose female face and body dominate that poster? Who's billed as the female lead? Who had most of the screen time?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193December 31, 2019 5:00 PM

Sorry, darling R190! That was clearly meant for the Fool R191!

by Anonymousreply 194December 31, 2019 5:01 PM

And if Livvie was so wonderful and SUCH a HUGE star, why didn't she win the Supporting Actress Award? LMFAO!!!

by Anonymousreply 195December 31, 2019 5:02 PM

She had star billing to appease Mayer. Cukor might have cast her as a lead, but then he was fired and Fleming concentrated on Gable. Leigh is obviously untouchable. In the finished product she is a supporting player. Remember that she herself campaigned and begged for the part. Bitch got what she deserved '

by Anonymousreply 196December 31, 2019 5:03 PM

Imagine how this GREAT, HUGE star must have felt, losing the award to a black actress playing a slave!

by Anonymousreply 197December 31, 2019 5:05 PM

We know how she felt R197 = ' God doesn't exist '

by Anonymousreply 198December 31, 2019 5:08 PM

It's clear God doesn't exist because this old cunt is still breathing!

by Anonymousreply 199December 31, 2019 5:09 PM

She and rapist Douglas are two peas in a pod

by Anonymousreply 200December 31, 2019 5:12 PM

Bullshit OP- she told the story from her perspective- and the company's. No competition between the two principles for the good of the film and Hattie won in part because she was supporting. She does not say in any manner she was "better" than either. She acknowledges being disappointed at the time but then realizing the outcome was for the best. Troll bait OP- you certainly attracted a whole bunch of them on this thread. God DL can be an ugly place full of misinformation and bullshit. As I have said before, a "gay" thread can display just as much base ignorance free floating spite as any group of Republicans at a Trump rally.

This interview is fascinating and OD is one helluva woman. Still alive too.

by Anonymousreply 201December 31, 2019 5:16 PM

Charlie-the-tranny?

by Anonymousreply 202December 31, 2019 5:22 PM

R201, give it up. She was a cunt to her sister, not even telling her their other died. She came up with some ludicrous nonsensical "reason" as to why she was in a supporting actress category, pretending she was otherwise when she was clearly a supporting actress and not the lead actress. Her perspective is that of an entitled old bat who still thinks she's still a great star and always has been from Day One. I really enjoyed the performances she won for, but her personality is repellent. And the fact that she's still breathing means nothing. Leni Riefenstahl lived to be in her hundreds, too--a helluva woman!

by Anonymousreply 203December 31, 2019 5:23 PM

*mother

by Anonymousreply 204December 31, 2019 5:23 PM

R193, you are an idiot. That poster is from the 1967 re-release. There is information printed all over it that precludes it from being the original poster, as you have alleged it to be. All you have to do is read it.

by Anonymousreply 205December 31, 2019 5:25 PM

No, idiot, R193, it says it's from 1939, and if you could read the words on the poster, it's clearly from the time. And if you look at the credits in the movie, it's listed the way the poster is, too.

by Anonymousreply 206December 31, 2019 5:27 PM

Hey, dumb cunt, R205, how about the actual credits to the damn movie? Will that convince you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207December 31, 2019 5:29 PM

This GREAT, HUGE star even got billing under Leslie Howard!

by Anonymousreply 208December 31, 2019 5:30 PM

Another poster--an original--proving Leigh was the female lead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209December 31, 2019 5:31 PM

Lol. You keep posting promotional materials showing four people with star billing, one of the four being de Havilland.

by Anonymousreply 210December 31, 2019 5:43 PM

Honey, R210, can you read? Can you see the placement of names? Leigh is the second lead after Gable and the first female lead, in that order. Don't you understand how that works?

by Anonymousreply 211December 31, 2019 5:46 PM

Me Too would rightly demand that the star of the show Vivien Fucking Leigh would be first billed if it was marketed today.

by Anonymousreply 212December 31, 2019 6:07 PM

JFC - Vivian was the star of the movie, but there can be more than one lead, why is that so hard for some to understand?

by Anonymousreply 213December 31, 2019 6:11 PM

Vivien, of course.

by Anonymousreply 214December 31, 2019 6:12 PM

Wrong R206. That poster says stereophonic sound and Metrocolor, neither of which existed in 1939. It’s from a later 1950s or 1960s re-release.

by Anonymousreply 215December 31, 2019 6:17 PM

Just popping in to say how much I absolutely love that 80 years later here we are angrily debating who the lead in Gone With the Wind was. Only, and I mean only, on DL.

by Anonymousreply 216December 31, 2019 6:23 PM

R215, see R207. The fucking credits to the movie prove the point that Vivien's name was second, and Cunty Livvie's was fourth.

by Anonymousreply 217December 31, 2019 6:30 PM

Thank you R216. Leigh of course was the "star" of the film for Christ's sake- the whole damn story is or her life. But the others are co-stars and OD was in a starring role and describes the Oscar strategy in the interview- she does not in any way insist she should have won as best actress or even supporting actress, nor is she bitter. She is honest about her disappointment, albeit she understood the strategy for the good of the film. Those who cannot pick this up from the interview and play it like the OP, who is a troll, are if nothing else, stupid. All the leads and supporting actors are perfectly cast which is one of the reasons the film was and is such a classic, even if it does whitewash the South.

by Anonymousreply 218December 31, 2019 6:33 PM

"she understood the strategy"

There was no "strategy." There was never any chance she was going to be nominated alongside Leigh in that movie as leading actress. She's plainly lying. R218, you really can't see through the phoniness of a then-90-something-year-old?

by Anonymousreply 219December 31, 2019 6:40 PM

R218 most agree Leslie Howard was indeed miscast.

And OP has a very valid view, Olivia gives no credit to Vivien's or Hattie's win. She has not come to see it was fantastic that Hattie actually won, she has managed to rationalise to herself that voters did not vote for her because they could see she was too big a star to be considered supporting and that they wouldn't play studio's game. She is enormously self-absorbed and believes that if her Melly Wilkes performance gone into lead she would've been able to pull enough votes from one of the most iconic performances in film history to ensure it didn't win.

She also doesn't seem to recognise that voters are meant to pick the most impressive acting/skill, not just go for the person who played the character they liked best.

by Anonymousreply 220December 31, 2019 6:47 PM

No need to defend it, R220. OP is exactly right, as are you for pointing out it's an old woman's rationalization of something that happened nearly 70 years ago, at that point. She's an old, delusional liar.

by Anonymousreply 221December 31, 2019 6:50 PM

R175 Using the more than stupid mansplaining makes you a bigger cunt than Olivia could ever dream of being. Some are nicer than others! You aren't a fool you're a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 222December 31, 2019 6:52 PM

R174/R222, you're an odious, self-satisfied know-it-all, condescending twat. Do fuck off, and while you're at it, wash that sand out of your vadge.

by Anonymousreply 223December 31, 2019 7:52 PM

It is at this point, in what has turned out to be a very contentious thread, that Prissy would clutch at the sides of her face, drop to her knees and begin caterwauling as only Prissy could.

“Why Lawd, WHY is ev’ry BODY a-screamin’ an’ a-yellin’ an’ a-fightin’??

Dear Lawd, jus’ make it stop! Make it stop! Make it STOP!!!

by Anonymousreply 224December 31, 2019 8:13 PM

Who ever would have predicted that DL would flame out 2019 with an epic nasty thread about a woman who's almost 104? This is phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 225December 31, 2019 8:19 PM

[quote]If you liked "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane," then you will like Hush Hush.

I liked Hush Hush better in some ways. It's not as good a movie, of course, but it has a better atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 226December 31, 2019 8:36 PM

[quote] That cunt Olivia starts explaining why and how she should have won the academy award for best actress in a leading role in GWTW instead of Vivien Leigh

That isn’t what she says at all, OP. She says she was a lead, not supporting, but she explains why Selznick put her in the Supporting category, and she was delighted that McDaniel won because McDaniel was a true Supporting Actress. She never says she should have won over Leigh.

by Anonymousreply 227December 31, 2019 8:56 PM

Can’t she be both ? The movie is owned by Scarlet clear and simple but Millie does have storylines of her own and she is supporting in the arc that Scarlet thinks her true love is Ashley. Olivia doesn’t even make the top 10 list of Best Actresses of 1939 and would not have been nominated. Maybe this is why she was so bitter that her sister won before her she felt robbed in 1939.

by Anonymousreply 228December 31, 2019 11:58 PM

[quote] Melanie Hamilton is a poorly drawn character present only to thwart Scarlett. de Havilland never cracked the problem of how to make something of such a sappy role.

As has often been noted, Margaret Mitchell clearly drew heavily from Thackeray's VANITY FAIR in creating GONE WITH THE WIND, and Melanie is much less complexly drawn (and so much less memorable) than Amelia Sedley Osborne, her analogue in the Thackeray novel.

by Anonymousreply 229January 1, 2020 12:01 AM

What I don’t like about Hush Hush there is a long scene Bette is doing nothing but I hate the scene I Baby Janewith Bette imitating Joan’s voice. I think it is so badly done.

by Anonymousreply 230January 1, 2020 12:03 AM

Is Melanie’s part in the book much bigger ?

by Anonymousreply 231January 1, 2020 12:04 AM

No, it is about the same.

by Anonymousreply 232January 1, 2020 12:35 AM

[quote] De Havilland sued over ["Feud: Bette and Joan"]. Her objection was how Catherine Zeta-Jones' portrayal of her made her seem like a vulgar hypocrite and gossip. De Havilland claimed the series put false words in her mouth. Specifically, her legal action asserted violation of her right of publicity and false light.

[quote] [T]he U.S. Supreme Court rejected her petition to review the dismissal of her lawsuit brought against the makers of FX's Feud: Bette and Joan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233January 1, 2020 12:49 AM

What exactly does Livvy do in the film that she thinks is so great?

The (supporting!) character of Melanie's pretty mild mannered and unremarkable. Really, her only function is to keep exasperating Scarlett with her sickly sweetness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234January 1, 2020 6:04 AM

[quote][bold]Supreme Court Denies Review of Olivia de Havilland's 'Feud' Lawsuit[/bold]

[italic]Suck it,[/italic] MISS de Havilland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235January 1, 2020 6:11 AM

I want to thank you dearly R220, along with all the sweet souls who defended me against the vicious attacks of a random resident frau. I am happy that you found my thread entertaining and that was my only purpose. I have been blocked yesterday and couldn't wish you all, including miss Olivia if you read this, a very happy new year. All love

by Anonymousreply 236January 1, 2020 9:15 AM

R236 I'm the one who suggested you make this thread when you posted the video in another thread. Given how many people have shown an interest you were right in doing so. Happy New Year! Xx

by Anonymousreply 237January 1, 2020 12:42 PM

You type HOT R220

by Anonymousreply 238January 1, 2020 12:45 PM

All I can say is that I would not want to be the minimum wage worker changing that old harpy's diaper.

by Anonymousreply 239January 1, 2020 1:26 PM

HAD I BEEN NOMINATED IN THE LEAD CATEGORY WHERE I BELONGED I WOULD HAVE BLOWN LEIGH OUT OF THE COMPETITION..

by Anonymousreply 240January 1, 2020 1:36 PM

Why were you blocked, OP?

by Anonymousreply 241January 1, 2020 2:36 PM

I am curious about one thing. How did Olivia make enough money to keep herself in style for the last 50 years ? She hasnt worked,and Paris sure isnt cheap. Investments ? Residuals ? Rich lovers ?

by Anonymousreply 242January 1, 2020 2:42 PM

OP was blocked I assume because of the pile-on, gang-up mentality of a few pathetic fraus who raised a stink. It's one of the lamest aspects of Datalounge. I'm sure all of us with a strong point of view on something have been blocked before. The moderators stoop to the pressure of these sad cases. Welcome back, OP!

by Anonymousreply 243January 1, 2020 2:47 PM

Exactly R243. Thank you

by Anonymousreply 244January 1, 2020 3:40 PM

Being temporarily blocked on Dataliunge is like being put in the corner for a time out by the cunty teacher for hurting the feelings of pathetic snowflakes.

by Anonymousreply 245January 1, 2020 4:00 PM

*Datalounge

by Anonymousreply 246January 1, 2020 4:00 PM

Well friends, it a little bit worse than that. I can't start threads anymore. I'm afraid I have been a little too honest about the resident fraus on this board. Who obviously rule over gay men. Doesn't matter. I'd rather not contribute to a frau board. Thank you for your support. The fraus obviously won here. Once again we can't have our space without being bullied and silenced. Old story

by Anonymousreply 247January 1, 2020 4:30 PM

Bye!

by Anonymousreply 248January 1, 2020 4:33 PM

I don't care resident frau, you'll still get that ovarian cancer. Bye gurl

by Anonymousreply 249January 1, 2020 5:31 PM

It's a shame that cunts like R248 and their ilk can't hack Dataliounge. It's clear they love their Cunt Livvie. We'll be saying Bye! to her soon enough.

OP, try starting a new thread in a day or so, That's usually when the nonsense goes away.

by Anonymousreply 250January 1, 2020 5:32 PM

Thanks R250! It's working already! HAPPY NEW YEAR BITCHES

by Anonymousreply 251January 1, 2020 5:35 PM

Welcome back!

by Anonymousreply 252January 1, 2020 5:38 PM

R251 welcome back!

by Anonymousreply 253January 1, 2020 6:07 PM

Thanks guys!

by Anonymousreply 254January 1, 2020 6:15 PM

[quote] I'm sure all of us with a strong point of view on something have been blocked before.

LOL. The thoughts of a 103-year-old woman about an 80-year-old film are SO worth having a strong point of view about.

by Anonymousreply 255January 1, 2020 7:01 PM

Yeah, like give Hitler a break! It's happened 70 years ago and there were good sides to him R255?

by Anonymousreply 256January 1, 2020 7:23 PM

R255, then why do people gang up on someone over something as seemingly insignificant as this? Because they're triggered cunts.

by Anonymousreply 257January 1, 2020 7:43 PM

No one is ganging up on her, it's not like she's ever going to see this. It's just amusing how conceited someone can be.

by Anonymousreply 258January 1, 2020 7:51 PM

R257 is talking about triggered cunts ganging up on OP.

by Anonymousreply 259January 1, 2020 7:52 PM

' I woke up the next morning with a different perspective : Hattie had won and it was all that mattered'.

by Anonymousreply 260January 1, 2020 7:54 PM

[quote] Yeah, like give Hitler a break!

You're not exactly furthering your case by suggesting that an actress with bitchy delusions about her stardom is the equivalent of Hitler. And nobody cares whether you give her a break or not; it's just hilarious that one could feel so strongly about something so trivial.

by Anonymousreply 261January 1, 2020 7:56 PM

"it's just hilarious that one could feel so strongly about something so trivial."

You just described Dame Olivia herself, R261.

by Anonymousreply 262January 1, 2020 7:59 PM

R261 you realize of course that this is also a tribune in disguise to the last movie star/ great cunt we have?

by Anonymousreply 263January 1, 2020 8:01 PM

Her suit against "Feud" was insane given that she has gone on record referring to Joan as a "bitch," when that was the heart of the lawsuit. I would say i am amazed she took it as far as the Supreme Court, but I am sure her judgement is impaired at this great age, and her lawyers saw the cash cow that her suit presented them with needed to be milked for every last drop.

by Anonymousreply 264January 1, 2020 8:06 PM

Suing right and left has always been her signature. She's very good with the $$$$

by Anonymousreply 265January 1, 2020 8:09 PM

She got herself splashed all over the trade papers, again, with those law suits. And she didn't have to show up for work to do it. Go, girl!

by Anonymousreply 266January 1, 2020 8:19 PM

Olivia’s inner Scarlett has come out.

by Anonymousreply 267January 1, 2020 8:21 PM

Sweet Melanie my ass

by Anonymousreply 268January 1, 2020 8:29 PM

Not the last time, R265. It cost her a small fortune in lawyers when she lost that ridiculous vanity suit. It was the height of hubris to carry that to the Supreme Court. So, R266, girl got got.

by Anonymousreply 269January 1, 2020 8:41 PM

She's TRASHING Errol in the interview too. She 's shitting all over his dick like a messy bottom from hell

by Anonymousreply 270January 1, 2020 8:51 PM

She should have been honoured such a beautiful woman as CZJ would agree to play this frump.

by Anonymousreply 271January 1, 2020 8:51 PM

[quote] She should have been honoured such a beautiful woman as CZJ

So young.

by Anonymousreply 272January 1, 2020 8:54 PM

In another interview she said she was given the choice by Selznick, to look beautiful or to look plain, and she herself chose to look plain, ' for the sake of the character ',

by Anonymousreply 273January 1, 2020 8:55 PM

So generous of her!

by Anonymousreply 274January 1, 2020 8:56 PM

Lol R273 wtf

by Anonymousreply 275January 1, 2020 8:58 PM

The great star of the movie mistaken for an extra . Sit on it and rotate, Ollie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276January 1, 2020 9:04 PM

Butterfly too acted circles around de Haviland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277January 1, 2020 9:32 PM

[quote]r243 OP was blocked I assume because of the pile-on, gang-up mentality of a few pathetic fraus who raised a stink. It's one of the lamest aspects of Datalounge.

OP was set upon by a gang of nelly Mellys!

All at their queen's bidding - -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278January 1, 2020 11:06 PM

My opinion of Olivia hasn’t changed from being of the one of the greats. I remember reading even they were friends Bette considered her inferior, when Gone With The Wind had an anniversary Vivien and Olivia seemed very chummy. Also they have been many who felt slighted when they lost the award they forget they are insulting the loser. Hell George C Scott took himself out of the completion because he hated the feeling of losing.....

by Anonymousreply 279January 1, 2020 11:09 PM

I have no idea what R279 is even trying to say, but I do know George C. Scott took himself out of the competition (not completion, oh dear) because he hated actors competing with one another.

by Anonymousreply 280January 1, 2020 11:12 PM

[quote] Butterfly too acted circles around de Haviland.

Yes, she was ON FIRE!

by Anonymousreply 281January 1, 2020 11:15 PM

[quote] It's one of the lamest aspects of Datalounge. I'm sure all of us with a strong point of view on something have been blocked before.

Yes, Matt Anscher.

by Anonymousreply 282January 1, 2020 11:16 PM

R282, hunty, all it takes is bashing Cunty Livvie.

by Anonymousreply 283January 1, 2020 11:18 PM

R278-what a fabulous blouse she's wearing there. It's covered in bananas!

by Anonymousreply 284January 2, 2020 1:11 AM

Has David Ehrenstein given his opinion yet?

by Anonymousreply 285January 2, 2020 2:22 AM

Why are straight me so stupid?

by Anonymousreply 286January 2, 2020 2:39 AM

Fellow Trailblazer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287January 2, 2020 4:03 AM

I've worked as an entertainment reporter for decades in LA and they all show you who they are in the end.

You realize the assholes are just more honest and the nice ones (which I'm sure many saw Olivia as) aren't so nice.

It's all 'me, me, me.'

There's only one celeb who's turned into a genuine pal in all my years.

by Anonymousreply 288January 2, 2020 4:06 AM

She's confusing her overall reputation as a 'star', versus a supporting or character actress, with what her role is in the film.

"But I wasn't a supporting actress!"

Uh, you were Livvie. In that film, you were.

by Anonymousreply 289January 2, 2020 4:34 AM

There's a reason Joan and Olivia didn't get along with each other. And this video shows part of the reason why...

by Anonymousreply 290January 2, 2020 4:37 AM

I've always loved this clip where she walks into a wall on her way out on stage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291January 2, 2020 4:45 AM

^^ Honestly, I think she just wanted something to hold onto. She kind of grabs the podium once she gets there, too.

Be that as it may, she's still a vile, phony-assed old bitch.

by Anonymousreply 292January 2, 2020 5:38 AM

Which sister supported the other for awhile ?

by Anonymousreply 293January 2, 2020 1:02 PM

Yes, she was grasping for support in R291. The bigger question in that clip, is how did she manage to get from the podium to her place in line less than 2 minutes later?! She's still at the podium at the 2:23 mark, then she halfway across the stage in the star line-up when they call her named at the 4:07 mark.

by Anonymousreply 294January 2, 2020 1:22 PM

This guy says (at 5:58) that Olivia recalled being immediately shamed for her poor reaction to Hattie's win. Olivia was 23 at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295January 2, 2020 4:20 PM

I read she was disappointed but very pleased for Hattie. Turns out she was only (eventually) glad she didn't get a lowly supporting award. I really don't know if I can't get over this and think of her warmly again.

by Anonymousreply 296January 2, 2020 5:06 PM

R293 JOAN had married money and supported OLIVIA during her financial problems (suspension?) and guess what? OLIVIA RESENTED HER for the rest of their lives. Bitch maximus

by Anonymousreply 297January 2, 2020 5:21 PM

Luise Rainer was nicer....

by Anonymousreply 298January 2, 2020 9:21 PM

Maybe we could hook her up for a date with Kirk Douglas. They have complimentary backgrounds in the film industry and they are age appropriate. They'd be cute together, out on the town!

by Anonymousreply 299January 2, 2020 9:30 PM

Dear God, give us Natalie Wood back, we give you de Haviland instead

by Anonymousreply 300January 2, 2020 9:31 PM

She and Joan both had round shoulders and terrible posture...

by Anonymousreply 301January 3, 2020 1:32 AM

Do we now say if someone dies old but not that old ?

So and so died at 72....

So young...

by Anonymousreply 302January 3, 2020 1:58 AM

R294, with assistance and possibly a cane. The same way she should've entered.

That clip also shows the extremely patronizing tone in her voice, where she slows waaaay down, like she's talking to little children.

by Anonymousreply 303January 3, 2020 2:10 AM

[quote]That clip also shows the extremely patronizing tone in her voice, where she slows waaaay down, like she's talking to little children.

Compared to Olivia, everyone is a little child.

by Anonymousreply 304January 3, 2020 2:13 AM

Children, chilllllldren.... I need your attention, please...this is Miss Schuster....

by Anonymousreply 305January 3, 2020 2:19 AM

[quote]r300 Dear God, give us Natalie Wood back, we give you de Haviland instead

No one wants plastic, wind-up toy Natalie Wood back.

An early death at least gave her some distinction. Don't take that away from her.

by Anonymousreply 306January 3, 2020 2:20 AM

Buzz bizzy buzz, r305.

by Anonymousreply 307January 3, 2020 2:35 AM

Well I for one think she's tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 308January 3, 2020 2:47 AM

R308 ' I love Natalie, I always have and I always will. ' Orson Welles. Same here

by Anonymousreply 309January 3, 2020 8:29 AM

[quote]She and Joan both had round shoulders and terrible posture...

Possibly some holdover of the 1920s 'debutante slouch'?

by Anonymousreply 310January 3, 2020 10:39 AM

'No Bed of Roses'

No Shred of Truth

At least Olivia was honest.

by Anonymousreply 311January 3, 2020 5:08 PM

An honest actress? Possibly. But almost never objective. They are, all of them, self-absorbed.

by Anonymousreply 312January 3, 2020 5:10 PM

You'd have to be to be successful. You make your lasting relationships when you are very young or getting old and unwanted by your profession. That's how Robert Osborne said he became friends with some of these people. He caught them between too mature and decrepitude.

by Anonymousreply 313January 3, 2020 5:28 PM

R312, artists are self-absorbed, not just actors. That's how they do what they do.

Clearly, you're no artist, just a judgmental twat. You must really have been burned by someone in the acting profession, in your day.

by Anonymousreply 314January 3, 2020 5:30 PM

[quote]She's TRASHING Errol in the interview too

EVERYONE trashed Errol Flynn. He was not the best actor in the world, as Bette Davis was so fond of reminding people (she claimed she turned down Scarlett because it was a joint deal with Flynn as Rhett, and he wasn't good enough to be Rhett).

He ended his days as a raging alcoholic whose looks were destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 315January 3, 2020 7:29 PM

He had a big dick and could throw a terrific fuc... HE WAS FINE

by Anonymousreply 316January 3, 2020 7:45 PM

Errol Flynn would've been great as Rhett, much better than Bette would've been as Scarlett.

by Anonymousreply 317January 3, 2020 11:03 PM

She makes it very clear how enormously charismatic and stunningly attractive Flynn was when starting out. The fact that he turned into a monumental wreck is a secret to no one.

by Anonymousreply 318January 3, 2020 11:18 PM

Would Bette have won her third Oscar in 5 years if she got the part.

by Anonymousreply 319January 3, 2020 11:25 PM

Does anyone know what R319 is talking about?

by Anonymousreply 320January 3, 2020 11:27 PM

The part of Scarlett was an automatic Oscar winner for just any actress. Leigh was better than most of the actresses of her generation.

by Anonymousreply 321January 3, 2020 11:29 PM

*The part of Scarlett was NOT an automatic Oscar winner for just any actress.

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 322January 3, 2020 11:29 PM

I kind of doubt Paulette would have gotten one to reverentially put on her mantelpiece. I mean she was the one who just about had it at her fingertips wasn't she? Selznick would have put Olivia in as best actress and she certainly would have won it. And the existence of God would have been incontestably proven.

by Anonymousreply 323January 3, 2020 11:39 PM

R320 Midler said numerous times she regrets turning down "Misery" because the part won the Oscar, implying whoever played the role would have won. Twas a bit of a joke here a while back.

by Anonymousreply 324January 3, 2020 11:48 PM

That was not a part that suited her.

by Anonymousreply 325January 3, 2020 11:50 PM

R320 the origins of my allusion..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326January 3, 2020 11:50 PM

Leigh was so perfect for the part that it hurts. None of the other would have had an Oscar. It would be forgotten today. With its content, the KKK and all, the movie survives on Leigh 's performance alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327January 4, 2020 12:05 AM

Leslie Howard was truly the weakest link in the cast. Too old for Ashley and rather funny looking. I would have picked Gene Raymond for Ashley. He had the looks, if not the chops. But he was rather vocal in his criticism of the studio system and despite marriage to Jeanette MacDonald, rather indiscreet with his gay dalliances. He kind of sabotaged his career.

by Anonymousreply 328January 4, 2020 3:21 AM

Olivia is 100% class BUT I think she's way off here. Vivian Leigh was the only lead actress in Gone With The Wind and rightfully won the Oscar. Olivia was a bigger star in Hollywood at the time, but was definitely supporting in this movie. She was wonderful in the role, but Hattie was more memorable. She's a diva even at 100 and I love it!

by Anonymousreply 329January 4, 2020 3:29 AM

Can’t post photos but look at the YouTube video of Gene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330January 4, 2020 3:30 AM

The casting of Leslie Howard as Ashley has always mystified me, as he's completely wrong for the role - a very fine actor in other films such as The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Petrified Forest and Pygmalion, he is, as mentioned above, too old and, really, not handsome enough to make you believe a teenage girl would swoon over him -- plus, he plays the role so wanly (he reportedly hated making the film) that the idea that she was attracted to his personality is missing as well.

Allegedly, Randolph Scott was a fan favorite, but Selznick ruled him out as he had just starred in a Civil War movie, So Red the Rose, that had flopped; and still a bit too old for Scarlett. If they wanted to get the right age, how about Richard Greene? Even I would've swooned over him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331January 4, 2020 4:45 AM

R331, I think the casting works-- if the actor playing Ashley were very attractive he would compete too much with Rhett. It works better if we see Ashley for who and what he is, but Scarlett cannot-- at least, not until the last act of the script.

by Anonymousreply 332January 4, 2020 5:26 AM

what bothers me about Howard is some of his line readings esp when he does the honor scene...

by Anonymousreply 333January 4, 2020 10:00 AM

Rio opened before Dec 29th of '33. It was the first movie chosen to play the Christmas show at Radio City Music Hall back in its history when films played along with the stage show..

The Catholic church gave the film a C rating as in condemned meaning so obscene it was not fit for adults let alone children. At Christmas the Music Hall was showing a very dirty film to many thousands of unsuspecting families who never quite recovered from the shock. They might as well have been playing Ken Russell's The Devils.

Raymond when making the film thought it was pretty bad. After gratefully forgetting the film a while later he was in a cab riding in front of the Music Hall and was astonished and embarrassed to see the film playing there. When he saw the huge crowds outside waiting to get in he was mortified. It's actually very enjoyable and Raymond is indeed gorgeous in it.

by Anonymousreply 334January 4, 2020 10:15 AM

Leslie Howard was sex on a stick

by Anonymousreply 335January 4, 2020 10:47 AM

I thought Leslie Howard was fine and looked fine. But he didn't even try to hide his BRITISH ACCENT!

by Anonymousreply 336January 4, 2020 1:25 PM

If a good director had smacked around Leslie Howard and demanded a proper performance from him, he would have been fine. I always found him an attractive man and he was a very fine actor. Moreover, he was the right type for the bookish and refined weakling Ashley Wilkes. At 46, he was too old for Ashley in the early scenes, but not at all for the later scenes. His age is present, but not a problem. I can have daddy issues, so Scarlett can, too. She is, after all, DEVOTED to Gerald O'Hara. In any event, all the actors who appear throughout GWTW have the same problem. The characters age. Deal with it.

Howard had a deal with Selznick. If he played Ashley, then Selznick would produce Intermezzo, a film Howard very much wanted to make. So honor the deal. Show up and give the performance. That's the only problem with Leslie Howard in GWTW. He just didn't do his job.

by Anonymousreply 337January 4, 2020 1:38 PM

Ashley is such a bore and a whimp even in the novel. And it is strongly suggested that he fucks Moses = When he's imprisoned and Moses crazy with grief looks for him everywhere. No such passion between him and Melly. Or Scarlett. Ashley is so GAY

by Anonymousreply 338January 4, 2020 1:56 PM

Marlene Dietrich scoffed at Leslie Howards "apricot coloured hair." She said this to her daughter when she got home after the premier.

by Anonymousreply 339January 4, 2020 8:54 PM

Vivien said the movie was a fucking bore after the premiere, loud enough for people to hear her. She had to write Selznick a long apologetic letter that is somewhere on the web. If my memory serves me well, it goes like ' David dear, I meant that I didn't saw fit to say that a movie that I am in every shot in is excellent. My words and intentions were taken out of context blablabla.. ' you just KNOW she meant it. LMAO

by Anonymousreply 340January 4, 2020 9:05 PM

The people who make the movie can be a very bad judge of wherever it is good or not. Great movies you wouldn’t mind if they were longer.

by Anonymousreply 341January 4, 2020 9:20 PM

Ashley isn't supposed to be some ball of fire. Everyone criticizing Leslie Howard in the role can just fucking fuck right the fuck OFF!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342January 4, 2020 9:25 PM

I love Leslie Howard's inexplicable super-posh British accent in the part.

"But are you heppy, Melanie? Truly heppy?"

by Anonymousreply 343January 4, 2020 9:28 PM

Randolph Scott would have been all wrong for Ashley.

they should have hired Franklin Pangborn.

by Anonymousreply 344January 4, 2020 9:30 PM

Was Lesley nominated for an Oscar like everyone else ? I can’t believe it didn’t win Best Score.

I just watched Making of GWTW and they didn’t say what happened to Hattie after the movie I know she still played maid roles and died at 60.

by Anonymousreply 345January 4, 2020 9:40 PM

She died of breast cancer and diabetes in 1952 at the age of 58.

by Anonymousreply 346January 4, 2020 9:49 PM

I'll tell you what happened to Hattie after the movie you ninny, she WON MY FUCKING OSCAR!!!

by Anonymousreply 347January 4, 2020 10:36 PM

How could Leslie have played the part any better? He was always a subtle actor and Ashley was a subtle, non threatening character.

by Anonymousreply 348January 4, 2020 10:39 PM

He could be less subtle and quite threatening in a different set of circumstances

by Anonymousreply 349January 4, 2020 10:41 PM

R345. No. Clark, Vivien, Olivia, Hattie. Thomas Mitchell (Scarletts father) won supporting actor, but for Stagecoach not GWTW.

by Anonymousreply 350January 5, 2020 12:06 AM

If Leslie Howard had been nominated he would have canceled Gable and they had to protect Rhett.

by Anonymousreply 351January 5, 2020 12:19 AM

Melanie Hamilton : Oh, Mammy, Oh, no, Mammy.. Oh, poor Captain Butler Oh, Mammy! Oh, Mammy, Mammy! Oh, but I can't intrude Oh, Miss Watling, Oh you have? Oh Scarlett Oh Ashley

The way she oh-ed all the time, made me wanna xxxxxx her

She started the same shit in "Hush Hush; Sweet Charlotte"

Oh, Charlotte....

by Anonymousreply 352January 5, 2020 12:46 AM

With the treacle seemingly in her veins as Melanie it almost seems like a prodigious performance on her behalf giving her last bit of strength to Rhett in his hour of need. That scene where she takes Scarlets arm after the India incident was actually one of her better moments in the film and there's no way that a stone cold iceberg narcissist like her is capable of that kind of vulnerability so she did well.

I think her performance in "Hush, hush" was just Olivia having fun as herself, one reason I find it so funny.

by Anonymousreply 353January 5, 2020 1:28 AM

Both Joan and Olivia are very good opposite Bette in Baby Jane and Hush Hush but she steals the movie anyway....

by Anonymousreply 354January 5, 2020 3:45 AM

R351 , the guy who played Frank Kennedy , was A better actor and showed more range than Leslie Howard

by Anonymousreply 355January 5, 2020 3:51 AM

R351 , the guy who played Frank Kennedy , was A better actor and showed more range than Leslie Howard

by Anonymousreply 356January 5, 2020 3:51 AM

R190 , YOU MADE MY DAY !!!

by Anonymousreply 357January 5, 2020 4:22 AM

R190 , YOU MADE MY DAY !!!

by Anonymousreply 358January 5, 2020 4:22 AM

R335, Maybe , a POGO STICK

by Anonymousreply 359January 5, 2020 4:41 AM

I assume we'll all be here in 20 years on its 100th anniversary still bitching about Leslie Howard and how wrong he was for the role when in 1940 all the bobbysoxers were swooning over him. Listen to Bacall in her interviews talking about him when she was a teen. Of course on DL if you're 46 you might as well be dead.

by Anonymousreply 360January 5, 2020 5:36 AM

Was the issue of multi-generational cousin-fucking that led to the Hamiltons' and Wilkeses' numerous congenital weaknesses ever addressed either in the film or the novel? I can't remember exactly, but wasn't Melanie's death due to being unable to carry another inbred baby? Ashley preferred his cousin due to duty over his love for Scarlett.

by Anonymousreply 361January 5, 2020 5:49 AM

It is discussed at length in the novel. Gerald is tactfully trying to explain to Scarlett that Ashley is no husband material. Scarlett is obsessing over him precisely because of his elusive quality (+ her parents' wish to have a boy when she was born and Gerald 's encouraging her to behave like a tomboy, and Ashley giving string fem vibes.) I am sure Gerald knew that Ashley was gay.

by Anonymousreply 362January 5, 2020 7:45 AM

Holman, Vivien 's first husband, was a Howard doppelganger. Howard was the Redford of his day = Brad Pitt for us, quite the ideal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363January 5, 2020 7:49 AM

Vivien Leigh greatly admired fellow Brit Leslie Howard, and was disappointed her screen test wasn’t with him.

I think his appeal is kind of lost to modern audiences - including me. He does have a nice speaking voice, however.

by Anonymousreply 364January 5, 2020 7:55 AM

If you try to forget the atrocious wavy hairdo, bad make up and unflattering costume, he is a well built man with a pervy twinkle and extreme case of BDF

by Anonymousreply 365January 5, 2020 8:06 AM

I'm sure Howard had no problem with the ladies as Letterman would put it like Hitler plowing through Poland. Probably with a few men as well as all his Brit co actors did.

I have no idea why people don't get it today.

by Anonymousreply 366January 5, 2020 11:15 AM

[quote]Maybe we could hook her up for a date with Kirk Douglas. They have complimentary backgrounds in the film industry

Only on Datalounge would a woman with an ego be compared to a man who has raped one actress and possibly murdered another.

by Anonymousreply 367January 5, 2020 11:22 AM

Has Olivia issued an apology yet?

by Anonymousreply 368January 5, 2020 11:53 AM

SPOILER:

It's amazing to think that all of the events of the final part of the movie (Rhett "raping" and impregnating Scarlett, this inspiring Melanie to get pregnant again, Scarlett's miscarriage and Bonnie Blue's demise, Melly dying and Rhett leaving) are all direct results of Scarlet and Ashley's only kiss.

by Anonymousreply 369January 5, 2020 12:06 PM

R360-that's a perfect way to contextualize Howard. Put that way, you can understand why Scarlet was so obsessed.

by Anonymousreply 370January 5, 2020 1:38 PM

Did Melly and Ashley mostly stick to hand and mouth things so she wouldn't get preggers, did they completely avoid each other or did she let him in her back door?

by Anonymousreply 371January 5, 2020 3:05 PM

Melly Wilkes, butt slut.

by Anonymousreply 372January 5, 2020 3:12 PM

Everything that happens at the end feels like in a day. Bonnie dies Scarlett faints but we do not have any scene of the mother greiving for Bonnie. Then Brett locks Bonnie in her room for 4 days. Mamie gets Mellie to talk to Rhett and Mellie dies. Scarlett realizes Ashley loved Mellie and Mellie was her best friend. She also realizes she truly loves Rhett but he frankly doesn't give a damn...

by Anonymousreply 373January 5, 2020 3:18 PM

We just get told Scarlett pounds on the door and screams at Rhett. I would have liked see a scene where Scarlet mourns too though.

On a side note Bonnie must have stank after 4 days in the Atlanta heat.

Olivia wasn't even good in her final scenes, where she could have really showed more shades of the character. She was lucky to even be nominated IMO.

by Anonymousreply 374January 5, 2020 3:29 PM

This is the house that Hattie McDaniel lived in from 1941 - her death in 1952. Lots of artistic types stayed with her there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375January 6, 2020 2:36 PM

I was not invited there. I really can't understand why.

by Anonymousreply 376January 6, 2020 3:25 PM

Clark Gable was a frequent guest at Hattie’s house. Allegedly he was a big fan of her cooking. He’d surprise her and her guests with visits. One of the early liberals in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 377January 6, 2020 5:14 PM

As I say in the remarkable interview of ME, Clark and Vivien would invite to join them sometimes in a game of ' battleship '.... Well, not often, but sometimes. When no one else wanted to play, or there was no one else on the set. They would often roll their eyes or whisper between them as we played. I never knew what or who they were talking about. That was their thing. I entertained them with my views on the character of Melanie, her importance in the movie, and how exciting that there were 3 leads. (Well, technically, Clark didn't have much screen time, but he had top billing because, there had to be a leading man in this women story, for the success of the movie.) Anyway, they could benefit from my long experience and my expertise as a leading star. And all my funny gossip about poor dear Errol, and how low he was setting the bar for his pretty self. Hattie and the other supporting members of the cast I didn't see much of. For some reason she seemed to avoid me, to be shy. I think she was too impressed. Good memories of one of my greatest works.

by Anonymousreply 378January 6, 2020 8:31 PM

"Bonnie must have stank"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 379January 6, 2020 9:01 PM

R379 what's wrong?

by Anonymousreply 380January 6, 2020 9:34 PM

Stink. Stank. Stunk.

"Bonnie must have stunk."

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 381January 7, 2020 2:12 PM

I 'll tell you what really stunk something awful: Gable' s breath

by Anonymousreply 382January 7, 2020 2:45 PM

I wonder if audiences 80 years from now will have the same reaction to Benedict Cumberbatch as modern audiences have to Leslie Howard: Shocked disbelief that the man in question was ever a sex symbol.

by Anonymousreply 383January 7, 2020 3:01 PM

Um, r383, we think that now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384January 7, 2020 3:06 PM

You guys are funny. If you don't think that every single actress who loses an award doesn't go through similar rationalizations in her head as to why she lost, you're mistaken. As someone above said, her only "crime" is saying it in public. Now, I rolled my eyes at what she said, but it hardly makes her a "cunt."

by Anonymousreply 385January 7, 2020 3:15 PM

Exactly R384. Leslie Howard is a thing of beauty compared to those weirdos we have now

by Anonymousreply 386January 7, 2020 3:16 PM

R385... I think you miss the point.

by Anonymousreply 387January 7, 2020 3:17 PM

Leslie was homely. The accent is what got him laid.

by Anonymousreply 388January 7, 2020 4:41 PM

I read a bio by some guy who was socializing in the upper circles of stardom in the 60's. He was invited to some kind of intimate dinner and seated next to Leigh. They talked about GWTW and she told him that Gable tried to rape her during filming. She said something about him being ' method ' before the method, and a bit too excited by the infamous staircase scene. Anyone read that?

by Anonymousreply 389January 7, 2020 5:09 PM

Should Vivien have won a third Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 390January 7, 2020 5:26 PM

R390 OH YES! thanks for bringing this up. She should have won for ship of fools. And she could have won for Mrs stone. But Ship of fools was definitely a snub. It's one of the great performances of the American screen

by Anonymousreply 391January 7, 2020 5:29 PM

Who did better than this that year??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392January 7, 2020 5:31 PM

Who, R392? The actress who actually won, Julie Christie in DARLING.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393January 7, 2020 5:33 PM

I love Olivia! Great lady!

by Anonymousreply 394January 7, 2020 5:35 PM

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 395January 7, 2020 5:38 PM

Aside from all the trolls on this thread in general- I don't think I saw the same vid as most- she did not trash anyone let along VL and EF or HM. DL is so strange- or rather I should say many of it's posters are.

by Anonymousreply 396January 7, 2020 5:55 PM

"many of it's posters are"

Oh, dear, R396.

by Anonymousreply 397January 7, 2020 5:58 PM

R293, yes Julie is so much the better actress... RMAOTF

by Anonymousreply 398January 7, 2020 6:00 PM

In the novel, Melanie is supposed to be rather dull compared to Scarlett, but graceful as a dove, with a tiny waif like frame, almost like a little girl , exquisite features, huge brown eyes in a heart shaped face. She wouldn't know evil is she stared at it, is genuinely loving, loyal and generous, brave despite ill health, adoring of children, and sees only the good in people, can see through her whimp husband and her sister in law and always takes the higher road. She is the kind of person who hides black and white fugitives in her basement. She's heartbreaking and her death is a truly moving. I don't see that in de Haviland 's performance. I think Sylvia Sidney or Margaret Sullavan would perhaps have been more effective in the part. She's just OK.

by Anonymousreply 399January 7, 2020 6:08 PM

I loved Julie Christie in DARLING. Some of the best dialogue ever. Even the men were cunts in this film. I guess because both Dirk Bogarde and Laurence Harvey we’re both gay...as was the director John Schlesinger. They were even bitchier than Julie was.

by Anonymousreply 400January 7, 2020 6:21 PM

Why was Viv not recognised for Ship I'd Fools. I remember seeing the Helen Mirren Roman Spring of Mrs Stone. She was OK but Olivier Martinez was lovely. Pity he would show his cock to make up for seeing Mirren in the nude again.

by Anonymousreply 401January 7, 2020 6:32 PM

I think Hollywood was tired to invest in Leigh who didn't give two fucks. After GWTW she was the biggest star and the most photographed woman in the world, she just broke her contract and went back to England. Selznick sued her ass and lost. Yet she was given superstar treatment, another Oscar and 200 000 UK pounds (an gargantuesque sum of money at the time, almost a million US $) for ' streetcar '. And left again for 15 years. She was very ill during the filming of ' elephant walk' but also not interested in finishing it. They wouldn't give her a third Oscar. She is one of the rare stars who really dominated Hollywood as opposed to being dominated. Fascinating character really

by Anonymousreply 402January 7, 2020 7:03 PM

She was fascinating, unlike Olivia who only gave one great performance in her career.

by Anonymousreply 403January 7, 2020 7:09 PM

As fine as Leigh is in Ship of Fools, I think Simone Signoret is much better (her tragic romance with the equally excellent Oskar Werner is the emotional heart of the film) -- and the Academy though so, too, as Signoret got the Best Actress nomination and not Leigh.

by Anonymousreply 404January 7, 2020 7:26 PM

Signoret was nominated the supporting actress category. It's like being dumped in a boiling cyst of diarrhea. Vivien was the second lead in GWTW. The academy would NEVER have accepted another infamous ' supporting ' nomination for a legendary leading lady of the golden age. The world had learned its lesson.. With ME.

by Anonymousreply 405January 7, 2020 7:33 PM

Simone was nominated for Lead Actress Livvie abs she was a real French person, unlike you my wizened old dear.

by Anonymousreply 406January 7, 2020 7:43 PM

Well R406, every French man REALLY has one then. Why was that commie nominated in the LEAD category since she was SUPPORTING in the movie? (the members weren't fooled-she lost didn't she)

by Anonymousreply 407January 7, 2020 7:49 PM

[quote] she just broke her contract and went back to England. Selznick sued her ass and lost.

Why did he lose? It seems that's the whole point of the contract, he made her a big star and now she just leaves?

by Anonymousreply 408January 7, 2020 9:00 PM

[quote]R388 Leslie was homely. The accent is what got him.

Plus, till Twelve Oaks burned down, he was rich enough to make up for his pasty-facednous.

by Anonymousreply 409January 7, 2020 9:13 PM

[quote]R399 ...exquisite features...

No. Melanie is plain as the day is long. Her innate goodness can make her seem “almost pretty”. On a GOOD day.

by Anonymousreply 410January 7, 2020 9:17 PM

R308, the contract stipulations was that she would make 1 movie for Selznick and 1 movie for Korda plus 6 months off every year for stage work. But they were too greedy to be careful and rushed to milk the $$ cow. After GWTW she made waterloo Bridge for MGM, then ' that Hamilton woman ' for Korda, so the contract was already breached. Selznick was still married to Mayer's daughter so he couldn't say no for waterloo Bridge. He tried to block her from working with Olivier, saying it would damage her Star status. Then England was at war and the court ruled that if she couldn't work on the stage as she wished she would have to participate in the war effort and clean offices, hardly enhancing her star status. So she won. But she was blacklisted for years in the US and that is one of the reasons why ' the deep blus sea' isn't released in DVD. It's blocked between MGM and the Korda estate. In his diary, Noel coward wrote that in the 40's she was a young star at the height of her beauty and powers and couldn't work, and that it must have been maddening for her.

by Anonymousreply 411January 7, 2020 9:30 PM

They should have cast me as Aunt Pittypat.

by Anonymousreply 412January 7, 2020 11:44 PM

Yeah, R398, seriously: Julie Christie is better than Dame Cunty. I don't ever recall seeing Livvie's cockney whore.

by Anonymousreply 413January 8, 2020 12:47 AM

I don't feel sorry for her: A young star at the height of her powers broke her contact with the most powerful studio in the world which wanted nothing more than to pay her lots of money to be a huge star. Not because she was so interested in the war effort in England, but because she was obsessed with Olivier and couldn't bear to be apart from him. Even though he was intensely jealous of her film career and pushed her to do stage, which never really suited her talents (she had a great face for closeups and a weak voice that needed a studio microphone). Leigh made terrible decisions and paid the price.

by Anonymousreply 414January 8, 2020 1:12 AM

R414, you fucking Mary, what does that have to do with this thread? To the nearest grease fire, CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 415January 8, 2020 1:14 AM

It is a shame she had such a negative opinion about Bette Davis it would have been a hoot to see her in Hush Hush.

by Anonymousreply 416January 8, 2020 1:29 AM

It would have been degrading for Leigh to play second fiddle to Davis, R416. Instead, she was in SHIP OF FOOLS, which was much classier.

by Anonymousreply 417January 8, 2020 1:31 AM

Leigh suffered from mental illness...don’t anyone judge her...

by Anonymousreply 418January 8, 2020 2:10 AM

[quote]r413 Seriously: Julie Christie is better than Dame Cunty.

I have really come to appreciate Julie Christie. She's wonderful in everything. I first really paid attention to her in AFTERGLOW (1997), then I went back and watched everything else. She's divine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419January 8, 2020 7:53 AM

Agreed, R419. She's wonderful in everything. I particularly love her in PETULIA, McCABE AND MRS. MILLER, DON'T LOOK NOW, SHAMPOO, and AWAY FROM HER. She was also I think the most beautiful woman in movies in the 1960s and 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 420January 8, 2020 1:54 PM

R414 she wanted to have a stage career with her husband instead of being harassed and bullied by sleazy producers and film directors. Are you Harvey Weinstein?

by Anonymousreply 421January 8, 2020 3:29 PM

I’m gay man and I’m in love with Julie Christie and always have been. Sadly, I think she’s done with film and retired. She has a condition of short term memory (not Alzheimer’s) that affects her being able to work.

by Anonymousreply 422January 8, 2020 7:39 PM

Thanks for the details, R411. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 423January 8, 2020 9:33 PM

Leigh passionately wanted to become an accomplished stage actress since she was a little girl. Maureen O'sulivan's daughter Mia gave an interview about her mother 's childhood memories of Leigh. Olivier didn't push her, she wanted it. She was a stage sensation years before meeting Olivier, and a legendary figure of the international theatre after divorcing him. When she was young her voice was too thin , but she trained her ass off and developped a wonderful voice. In her later years she took leads for the RSC and Broadway. Kenneth Tynan hated her, but other criyics and her pears thought her superb on the stage.

by Anonymousreply 424January 8, 2020 10:50 PM

[quote]r422 Sadly, I think she’s done with film and retired.

She was always very selective, anyway. Though she was first choice for practically everything in the 60s and 70s, she turned most projects.

I think she's the tye who's fine living in a quiet cottage somewhere, with a bunch of books and decent wine. She didn't need a hundred million dollars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425January 8, 2020 11:28 PM

^^ turned most projects DOWN, I meant!

by Anonymousreply 426January 8, 2020 11:28 PM

Agreed. Christie had the world at her feet after her Oscar win. She’s always been selective and her film career always took a back seat to her love life and political activism. She’s gone on record as saying she was never that ambitious and never aspired to be the next Streep.

by Anonymousreply 427January 8, 2020 11:44 PM

Julie is magnificent in just about everything that she’s in. Glad to see she’s been selective and fussy about choosing her roles.

by Anonymousreply 428January 9, 2020 2:36 AM

Its telling that Vivien and Julie Christie are more interesting, taking the discussion away from Olivia de Dishwater in her own thread.

by Anonymousreply 429January 9, 2020 3:02 AM

I preferred Joan over Olivia anyway.

by Anonymousreply 430January 9, 2020 3:08 AM

I love Christie paired with Alan Bates. They have great chemistry and made at least 3 great movie classics together. Leigh was used as a spy by Churchill during the war. She could travel across the Atlantic and toured North Africa with secret army documents and such. Leslie Howard too but he was found out abd shot down by the luftanza. Bergman and Vivien got away. Hence the lifelong friendship /admiration from Churchill.

by Anonymousreply 431January 9, 2020 11:22 AM

I love Christie paired with Alan Bates. They have great chemistry and made at least 3 great movie classics together. Leigh was used as a spy by Churchill during the war. She could travel across the Atlantic and toured North Africa with secret army documents and such. Leslie Howard too but he was found out abd shot down by the luftanza. Bergman and Vivien got away. Hence the lifelong friendship /admiration from Churchill.

by Anonymousreply 432January 9, 2020 11:22 AM

So true, R432. Another favorite Julie Christie movie of mine: THE GO-BETWEEN, with beautiful Alan Bates. And FAR FROM THE ADDING CROWD. Yes, they were a great and sexy team.

by Anonymousreply 433January 9, 2020 4:56 PM

*FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD

by Anonymousreply 434January 9, 2020 4:56 PM

Julie as far as I know only did one stage production in New York. Uncle Vanya at Circle in the Square.

by Anonymousreply 435January 9, 2020 6:08 PM

I want to see a movie called ' far from the adding crowd '

by Anonymousreply 436January 9, 2020 6:32 PM

It would be about someone escaping an accounting firm - -

by Anonymousreply 437January 9, 2020 8:04 PM

If Olivia finds out a bunch of Julie Christie queens have hijacked her thread... there is going to be hell to pay.

Y'all better take your Julie Christie love and open a thread for her, too. If you don't, this won't end well.

by Anonymousreply 438January 9, 2020 8:08 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439January 9, 2020 8:19 PM

What, R438, will Livvie sue us?

by Anonymousreply 440January 9, 2020 8:20 PM

She will sue my ass

by Anonymousreply 441January 9, 2020 8:24 PM

We're not some bunch'a underpaid Hattie McDaniels she can just ride roughshod over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442January 9, 2020 8:30 PM

But I am currently living in France. I'm in DANGER, GURLS !

by Anonymousreply 443January 9, 2020 8:41 PM

Oh R442 !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444January 9, 2020 11:34 PM

MERDE for you, OhhhP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445January 9, 2020 11:36 PM

OP must be smuggled out of France on a secret jet.

Muriel ! !

Where's MURIEL ? ! ? !

by Anonymousreply 446January 9, 2020 11:41 PM

[quote]shot down by the luftanza

Lufthansa ≠ Luftwaffe

by Anonymousreply 447January 10, 2020 1:53 AM

You’re a cunt, R395.

by Anonymousreply 448January 10, 2020 4:22 AM

What a snappy riposte, R448. Dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 449January 10, 2020 5:08 AM

449 posts and I'm still breathing bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450January 10, 2020 5:11 AM

But she's been irrelevant for 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 451January 10, 2020 5:23 AM

Well everywhere except datalounge R451.

by Anonymousreply 452January 10, 2020 11:19 AM

That ancient bitch is the life's blood of this place.

by Anonymousreply 453January 10, 2020 11:37 AM

Where DL leads, the world follows.

by Anonymousreply 454January 11, 2020 2:38 AM

Is this her most recent pic, taken last year?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455January 11, 2020 4:16 AM

Wow. What does she EAT ??? SHE DOESN'T LOOK A DAY OVER 80

by Anonymousreply 456January 11, 2020 6:14 AM

Wow. What does she EAT ??? SHE DOESN'T LOOK A DAY OVER 80

by Anonymousreply 457January 11, 2020 6:15 AM

Why is she flaunting herself in her nightie??

by Anonymousreply 458January 11, 2020 6:49 AM

it's photoshopped for DL right ? She DOESN'T have a picture of HERSELF framed on her nightstand ? Right ?

by Anonymousreply 459January 11, 2020 12:30 PM

What r429 said...Olivia is a great actress but she has always seemed, to me at least, a tad personality deficient. Even Sister Joan had a more engaging screen persona, if a tad mannered. I admire her acting but, like Miss Jane Wyman, she lacks fire and sex appeal despite the talent.

by Anonymousreply 460January 11, 2020 5:34 PM

[quote] She DOESN'T have a picture of HERSELF framed on her nightstand ?

A picture of herself as Melanie Wilkes!

by Anonymousreply 461January 11, 2020 5:42 PM

She could have had a poster, or a framed certificate of her academy award nomination for BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

by Anonymousreply 462January 11, 2020 6:56 PM

Have one created for her, R462. Send it to her. We will all hear the screams.

Good times!

by Anonymousreply 463January 11, 2020 6:57 PM

We could create a draft for one of those "Hollywood Greats Who Never Won an Oscar" articles, and put de Havilland on there in error, but note she was once at least once nominated in the supporting catagory.

Then we send it to her for fact checking?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464January 11, 2020 10:31 PM

that will end her. I think it can count as actual homicide. I don't want to end up in jail because that twat thought that she was the lead in a movie where she has 5 scenes

by Anonymousreply 465January 11, 2020 10:52 PM

This 2013 article about de Havilland's feud with her sister has some interesting tidbits in it I haven't heard before. Dramatic!

[quote]The unknown Joan, meanwhile, began serving as Olivia's chauffeur, since Olivia, at the time, didn't know how to drive. Joan recalled to me that one night, while waiting to pick up Olivia at the Warners lot, she was approached by a studio employee who told her that she should be in films and he wanted to help her make that happen — but when Joan mentioned this to her mother she was told that Warner Bros. was "Olivia's studio" and that she was not to pursue work there.

The idea of a hungry young Joan having to cart her employed sister to and from a movie studio, and hang around waiting for her, is hilarious!

We also get this:

[quote]In 1946, not long after Olivia wed the author Marcus Goodrich, the first of her two husbands, who had previously been married four times, Joan apparently cracked, "It's too bad that Olivia's husband has had so many wives and only one book." This unnecessarily mean remark, at the outset of Olivia's marriage, got back to Olivia and elevated an already fractious relationship to an out-and-out cold war.

Mmmmmm....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466January 11, 2020 11:05 PM

Livvy is having NONE of Joan's antics in this photo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467January 11, 2020 11:19 PM

at the ceremony, when Joan's name was called, she recalled in her autobiography that she froze: "I stared across the table, where Olivia was sitting directly opposite me. 'Get up there, get up there,' Olivia whispered commandingly. Now what had I done? All the animus we'd felt toward each other as children, the hair-pullings, the savage wrestling watches, the time Olivia fractured my collarbone, all came rushing back in kaleidoscopic imagery. My paralysis was total."

I asked Joan about that moment and she recalled, "I was terrified because of Olivia," adding with a laugh, "I'm still afraid of her!" Of beating her sister to an Oscar she said half-jokingly, "That was such a mean thing for me to do,"

by Anonymousreply 468January 11, 2020 11:22 PM

[quote]How is she still alive?

Seriously? She's an old bitch who couldn't care less what anyone thinks. Why do you think Bar Bush lived so long?

by Anonymousreply 469January 11, 2020 11:25 PM

getting worse [quote] As both sisters established themselves firmly atop Hollywood's A-list, their relationship was further tested by quarrels over men. Joan had gotten married in 1939, for the first of four times, before her older sister, which, in those days, was considered something of a slight — and to the actor Brian Aherne, whom Olivia had once dated. On the night before Joan's wedding, Olivia's then-boyfriend Howard Hughes, while having a celebratory dance with Joan, apparently tried to convince Joan not to marry Aherne because, he said, he wanted to marry her himself. When Joan, appalled, shared this with Olivia, it seems that Olivia either didn't believe her or didn't want to believe her; regardless, it only further complicated their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 470January 11, 2020 11:26 PM

and worse [quote] In 1947, 14 months after her wedding, Olivia finally won a best actress Oscar of her own, for To Each His Own (1946) — the first of two, in fact, that she would within a span of just four years, with the second coming for The Heiress (1949). After Olivia completed her acceptance speech for the former, she was approached backstage by Joan, who, having just presented the best actor prize, stuck around to congratulate her sister. But, as was famously immortalized in a photo snapped by Hymie Fink of Photoplay, Olivia turned away from Joan, snubbing her advance. Daily Variety reported at the time that Olivia then muttered to her press agent, Henry Rogers, "I don't know why she does that when she knows how I feel." Joan, for her part, reportedly "stood there looking after her with a bewildered expression and then shrugged her shoulders and walked off." (Joan would later write, "I went over to congratulate her as I would have done to any winner. She took one look at me, ignored my hand, clutched her Oscar and wheeled away."

by Anonymousreply 471January 11, 2020 11:30 PM

Once Olivia finally kicks the bucket, I pray someone makes a movie (preferably) or a tv series (more likely) about Joan and Olivia’s relationship.

by Anonymousreply 472January 11, 2020 11:35 PM

the girls themselves said there was no feud and it was all press

by Anonymousreply 473January 11, 2020 11:37 PM

[quote]Supposedly, Olivia began picking on Joan when the younger sibling was still in the crib and, as they entered adolescence, the bullying escalated to hair-pulling, tearing clothes that were to become hand-me-downs and even outright fighting, with one incident causing a break in Joan's collarbone. Later, the abuse became less physical and more psychological. As editor of their high school newspaper, Olivia apparently published a fake will: [italic]"I bequeath to my sister the ability to win boys' hearts, which she does not have at present."[/italic]

MEOW!

by Anonymousreply 474January 11, 2020 11:40 PM

[quote]r473 The girls themselves said there was no feud, and it was all press

Olivia's face doesn't lie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475January 11, 2020 11:44 PM

[quote]r473 The girls themselves said there was no feud, and it was all press

Olivia coldly rebuffing Joan's congratulations when she finally did win (LEAD!!!) actress.

[italic]"De Havilland's press agent Harry Rogers subsequently told the press, 'The girls haven't spoken to each other for four months. Miss de Havilland had no wish to have her picture taken with her sister. This goes back for years and years, ever since they were kids — a case of two sisters who don't have a great deal in common."'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476January 11, 2020 11:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477January 11, 2020 11:51 PM

Interesting that Joan Crawford didn’t show up twice in the 40s at the Oscars. Her win (faking the flu) and the next year to present best actor. Crawford had a case of stage fright, so they got the next best Joan (Fontaine) and a recent winner to present. You couldnt keep Crawford away from the Oscars in the 1960s. If Joan C would’ve shown up, we would’ve been spared that great pic of Olivia snubbing Joan.

by Anonymousreply 478January 12, 2020 12:05 AM

R473, the "girls" face countless cunty interviews about how much they disliked each other.

by Anonymousreply 479January 12, 2020 12:11 AM

Reporters like to simplify issues because it makes for a more readily digestible headline. It's easier to print "Sisters Feud!" rather than "These Two Sisters Sometimes Don't Get Along." The truth is somewhere in between.

Fontaine and de Havilland kind of detested each other, and also kind of loved each other. They visited each other's homes, and they also avoided each other.

For instance, it's kind of hard to tell exactly what was going on when Olivia pressured Joan to attend the 1942 Oscars when they were up against each other. Joan said over the phone that day that she wasn't going to go, as she didn't think she was going to win, anyway, and she also had to get up for filming at 5:00 a.m. the next morning. Olivia was aghast and said, "Think how it would look!" Joan countered that she had nothing to wear (which always strikes me as an odd claim for rich movie stars to make, but whatever), prompting Olivia to immediately send over a selection of evening clothes and a fitter from the department store I Magnin & Co. Olivia also picked up the check for the selected outfit. Joan rather reluctantly went, and won.

There's something sweet about all that, but it's all also just a BIT controlling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480January 12, 2020 12:46 AM

R477 wow and Thank you. Olivia really is an Iron Lady. Dame. Dame.. Sorry Olivia. She really cut Hollywood down to size. Can you imagine being the younger bullied sickly sister of THAT ? I can understand why Joan's memoir is called ' no bed of roses'. On a side note. Olivia looks way too healthy for Melanie . Joan had the heart shaped face and was better suited for the part. And LOL at Jennifer Jones' s nom for Best actress that year with that line up. It's like nominating Pia Zadora for Best actress the year Streep, Sarandon, Close, Redgrave and Huppert are all in the category. Hollywood....

by Anonymousreply 481January 12, 2020 9:58 AM

Hattie McDaniel Arrives at the Coconut Grove.

Any poems written about Olivia de Havilland? Anyone???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482January 12, 2020 1:05 PM

Let's see Olivia try this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483January 12, 2020 1:13 PM

I have written a few poems about Olivia since childhood if you care to read them R482. They mostly rhyme with "...unt"

by Anonymousreply 484January 12, 2020 1:28 PM

I think those are called limericks, R484.

My sister was always the runt....

by Anonymousreply 485January 12, 2020 2:13 PM

She thought she could act good as Lunt

by Anonymousreply 486January 12, 2020 2:53 PM

^Oh, dear.^

by Anonymousreply 487January 12, 2020 2:54 PM

You guys are such a bunch of drama Queens. Olivia’s great.

by Anonymousreply 488January 12, 2020 3:03 PM

A great big cunt.

by Anonymousreply 489January 12, 2020 3:03 PM

With r485 and r486's permission...

[italic] My sister was always the runt She thought she could act good as Lunt When she got high handed Wooden clogs I sanded And into her cunt bone I'd punt

by Anonymousreply 490January 12, 2020 3:08 PM

oh crap. Well, there goes my Pulitzer[bold] : (

by Anonymousreply 491January 12, 2020 3:09 PM

"act good"

No.

by Anonymousreply 492January 12, 2020 3:09 PM

Maybe "act goodly"?

It has to scan, so we're cutting corners.

by Anonymousreply 493January 12, 2020 3:16 PM

Olivia is terrific in The Heiress.

by Anonymousreply 494January 12, 2020 3:18 PM

The thread isn't referring to her acting.

by Anonymousreply 495January 12, 2020 3:27 PM

Girls, girls! These old Hollywood dames were tough as nails--tougher than anyone on this thread....just get over this whole THING.

Thought it IS too bad that Olivia didn't play Mammy.

by Anonymousreply 496January 12, 2020 3:36 PM

"tougher than anyone on this thread."

Says you, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 497January 12, 2020 3:37 PM

Yeah, yeah. Those old Hollywood broads were tough.

But none of them were as tough as Mary Martin.

by Anonymousreply 498January 12, 2020 3:47 PM

How many threads when she kicks the bucket? I’m wagering 16.

by Anonymousreply 499January 12, 2020 4:51 PM

One for every year the old twat lived.

by Anonymousreply 500January 12, 2020 6:49 PM

I guess like a lot of sibling relationships, it’s very complicated. I read an biography on them back in the nineties and Joan’s autobiography NBOR...The father sounded quite pervy. And the mother was an absolute cunt. Small wonder how the sisters turned out the way they did.

by Anonymousreply 501January 12, 2020 7:21 PM

Rare footage of the little known actress who played second lead to Dame Olivia in GWTW , and was inexplicably nominated in the leading actress category. You might remember her from the movie, although Dame Olivia herself is the centre of every scene she's in, according to some DLers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502January 12, 2020 9:06 PM

Let’s put her in a cage and bring in the sweaty beatniks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503January 12, 2020 9:40 PM

she would SCREAM! coz' she's " the screaming woman"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504January 12, 2020 10:24 PM

Now who was that again in the video, R502? I'm blanking on her name. Did she work much after her supporting role in GWTW?

by Anonymousreply 505January 12, 2020 10:35 PM

In the r502 video, why are they interviewing Olivia's stand in?

by Anonymousreply 506January 13, 2020 3:28 AM

R505 no not really , she went back to obscurity. Not much of a film career, but she did find some tits and bits on the stage. Olivia was good enough to invite her to the centenial

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507January 13, 2020 8:34 AM

I love these threads on old Hollywood. What happened to Hollywood? It's nothing like the golden age of cinema, when the studios ran everything.

Everything is so sterilized now.

by Anonymousreply 508January 14, 2020 6:31 AM

Human based movies don't exist anymore, and these actors we love, those whose reputation have survived, were stage trained, hard working, educated artists . Now you pick up anyone,fuck them, pass them around, give them plastic surgery and throw them in the publcity machine until the next one. Nobody will remember gal gadot, Brie Larson and the Chrises in 100 years. Performances =good editing nowadays. I honestly believe that the last great talent I saw emerging in my lifetime was Christina Ricci. I remember Tim Burton saying that if Bette Davis and Peter Lorre had had a child it would be Christina. Hollywood dropped her in favor of cookie cutter Portman who's awful. Same in the music industry. From Nina Simone and Joni mitchell to Beyoncé ans Taylor Swift...

by Anonymousreply 509January 14, 2020 7:00 AM

Human based movies don't exist anymore, and these actors we love, those whose reputation have survived, were stage trained, hard working, educated artists . Now you pick up anyone,fuck them, pass them around, give them plastic surgery and throw them in the publcity machine until the next one. Nobody will remember gal gadot, Brie Larson and the Chrises in 100 years. Performances =good editing nowadays. I honestly believe that the last great talent I saw emerging in my lifetime was Christina Ricci. I remember Tim Burton saying that if Bette Davis and Peter Lorre had had a child it would be Christina. Hollywood dropped her in favor of cookie cutter Portman who's awful. Same in the music industry. From Nina Simone and Joni mitchell to Beyoncé ans Taylor Swift...

by Anonymousreply 510January 14, 2020 7:00 AM

The salaries of some of the A-listers are preposterous. I think that the reliance on franchises and new style animation is a pushback from the powers that be in Hollywood. No longer can a film be really guaranteed to be a moneymaker based on the names in the marquee. And the stars, while popular enough, are not megastars from the 60s, 70s or eighties.

by Anonymousreply 511January 14, 2020 4:34 PM

Dame Olivia Mary de Havilland (pictured here with an unknown devotee) invented helmet hair. Allegedly to protect herself against the shocking and appaling physical attacks from siblings and co-stars (femme).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512January 14, 2020 9:41 PM

We prefer Merle Oberon

by Anonymousreply 513January 14, 2020 9:45 PM

We prefer Merle Oberon

by Anonymousreply 514January 14, 2020 9:45 PM

Merle Oberon was a whore

by Anonymousreply 515January 14, 2020 10:22 PM

R515 = Olivia, triggered. Finally Ollie ! Bonjour chérie

by Anonymousreply 516January 14, 2020 10:32 PM

Merle Oberon was NOT a whore. She loved sex and was ambitious like scores of other women trying to make a name for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 517January 14, 2020 11:50 PM

She worked as an escort upon arriving in London, and that’s how she met (meal ticket) Alexander Korda.

by Anonymousreply 518January 15, 2020 3:21 AM

Olivia turned 103 and a 1/2 this month. Happy half-birthday!

by Anonymousreply 519January 15, 2020 12:25 PM

Most celebrities sold their bodies to make it...Crawford, Stanwyck, Lucille Ball and Yvonne DeCarlo were all allegedly pay-for-play. A girl has to eat and change her tampons.

by Anonymousreply 520January 15, 2020 4:04 PM

Vivien texting Larry " Olivia is such a cunt. Merle and I just can't"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521January 15, 2020 10:59 PM

just realized that Vivien Leigh was in the movie too. Hahaha . No, just realized that De H was younger than Leigh. She looks older in the movie

by Anonymousreply 522January 16, 2020 3:51 PM

Kirk died first because otherwise, I would have knocked him off the obituary column, and his death would have been unnoticed. God had to protect him.

by Anonymousreply 523February 7, 2020 6:50 PM

The egos of Stars from the Golden age of Hollywood must've been scary as shit.

Oh well, Olivia is one of the last big names still hanging on from that time period.

Crazy she's still here though.

by Anonymousreply 524February 13, 2020 7:22 AM

I am not going anywhere until they fucking give me the lifetime achievement award, american film institute medal, and a special award for my central place as a leading star in the history of film in America

by Anonymousreply 525February 13, 2020 7:41 PM

God Rest Her Old Soul x

by Anonymousreply 526July 26, 2020 4:09 PM

R.I.P. to a DL icon.

by Anonymousreply 527July 26, 2020 4:11 PM

Jesus Christ, she's finally dead.

by Anonymousreply 528July 26, 2020 4:52 PM

So I just logged in to say that I have a friend who's partner was Olivia's nurse and has reliably informed me that Olivia had been feeling down and logged onto Datalounge hoping for a pick-me-up from some supportive comments from "her gays". Instead, she read the nasty comments on this thread, and immediately had a stroke and died. I hope you're happy, OP - you murdered her!!

by Anonymousreply 529July 26, 2020 5:36 PM

r529, the devils work is never done.

by Anonymousreply 530July 26, 2020 6:21 PM

She didn't deserve her first Oscar

by Anonymousreply 531October 31, 2020 1:55 PM

Never forget

by Anonymousreply 532December 8, 2020 3:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!