Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gay Indie Films

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've looked at a few of them, mostly for free on Amazon or Dekoo. Some of them were made by crowdfunding. Some of them were really bad. And some were good. If you've seen one you think is good, post it here. I'd love to check it out. I just watched "Another Gay Sequel: Boys Gone Wild!" and I need something to cleanse my palate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153September 8, 2020 8:17 PM

Bump. Spent the weekend watching a bunch on Prime. There were a couple of German ones that were really good. Louis Hoffman and Jannik Schuemann in "Centre of My World" was touching and beautiful. Also "Free Fall" from Germany. These films are subtitled but absorbing and didn't center completely on the gay relationships.

Another Gay Movie is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen anywhere. Surprised even RuPaul and Lady Bunny would put their names to it.

by Anonymousreply 1January 20, 2020 3:33 PM

It's the sequel to Another Gay Movie that was gross. The first one was bad but not disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 2January 20, 2020 3:37 PM

I always liked the film TRICK from 1999.

by Anonymousreply 3January 20, 2020 3:38 PM

I’d rather watch gay foreign cinema. Most American movies after 1994 are total crap, gay or otherwise. Even John Waters lost his touch with his last two movies and gave up filmmaking altogether.

by Anonymousreply 4January 20, 2020 3:44 PM

Israeli director Eytan Fox made quite a few worth seeing. Yossi and Jagger and its sequel Yossi, The Bubble, Mary Lou, and Cupcakes.

by Anonymousreply 5January 20, 2020 3:52 PM

The Edge of Seventeen

by Anonymousreply 6January 20, 2020 3:55 PM

Yeah it definitely seems like European films are better than American ones. There was one (can't remember the name) set in Belgium where a Turk Muslim is gay but going through with a straight wedding. There is a crop of films re Muslims that go after the hypocrisy of religion and homosexuality that are interesting and moving.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 20, 2020 3:59 PM

Get Real

Weekend

Beautiful Thing

Party Girl (not gay but made for the gays)

by Anonymousreply 8January 20, 2020 4:02 PM

The Q-word is hate speech, R7.

by Anonymousreply 9January 20, 2020 4:03 PM

[italic]Beautiful Thing[/italic] is difficult to watch because it is full of music from a heterosexual man who fucked his daughter.

by Anonymousreply 10January 20, 2020 4:03 PM

Time to start arresting people for denigrating gays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 20, 2020 4:11 PM

The Sequel of Another Gay Movie was absolute shit. It features Perez Hilton in some major role as basic, gay bitch who turns into a crazy religious nut job. The movie tries to make the gay male version of Mean Heathers happen and Will Winkle plays the leader of the Mean Jaspers who ends up with a dirty Sanchez at the end. Most of the main cast (including Michael Carbonaro who has a pretty decent success with his show the Carbonaro Effect) refused to return for the sequel.

I know people don't like Casper Andreas' movies, but I very much like Between Love & Goodbye, Going Down in LA-LA Land, Big Gay Musical, and Violet Tendencies.

by Anonymousreply 12January 20, 2020 4:14 PM

Trying to make your movie "The Gay Version of a Hetero Hit" is a recipe for disaster.

Besides, [italic]Mean Girls[/italic] already had a gay male character and a lesbian character so it's already the gay version of itself.

by Anonymousreply 13January 20, 2020 4:18 PM

My Own Private Idaho.

by Anonymousreply 14January 20, 2020 4:32 PM

Another Gay Movie made me laugh out loud several times - there's no-one flying the plane!. Sequel was utter crap though.

by Anonymousreply 15January 20, 2020 5:57 PM

"Before the Fall" a gay adaptation of "Pride & Prejudice". Very sweet movie (although the supporting female cast are all uniformly bad actresses). The Male object of affection is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 16January 20, 2020 7:28 PM

[quote]Beautiful Thing is difficult to watch because it is full of music from a heterosexual man who fucked his daughter.

And a fucking fairy tale too.

by Anonymousreply 17January 20, 2020 7:36 PM

"Another Gay Movie" stars the adorable magician Michael Carbonaro of the "The Carbonaro Effect"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 20, 2020 7:41 PM

[bold]Twelve from the 2010s[/bold] (that haven't been mentioned yet)

B&B (UK, 2017) - Thriller. After winning a discrimination suit against the fundamentalist owner of a B&B, a gay couple check in for the weekend.

THE BLOND ONE (Argentina, 2019) - The sexual tension is palpable when two co-workers share an apartment in present-day Buenos Aires.

BPM (France, 2017) - Award-winning drama, set in the 1990s, focusing on several members of ACT UP Paris.

ESTEROS (Argentina, 2016) - Drama about intimate childhood friends who re-meet as adults years later. One's gay, the other isn't. Or is he?

GETTING GO: THE GO DOC PROJECT (USA, 2013) - A gay college student uses the pretense of making a documentary film to get close to his crush, a NYC go-go dancer.

GOD'S OWN COUNTRY (UK, 2017) - A young farmer's life in Yorkshire is transformed when he hires a migrant worker from Romania for seasonal help.

JUST FRIENDS (Netherlands, 2018) - Romantic comedy about two young men of different ethnic backgrounds, their burgeoning relationship -- and their mothers.

MARIO (Switzerland, 2018) - The romance between two members of the same soccer team is challenged by the closeted world of professional sports.

OUT IN THE DARK (Israel, 2012) - Romantic thriller, set in Tel Aviv, about the relationship between a Palestinian student and an Israeli lawyer.

SAUVAGE (France, 2018) - A look at the life of a Parisian street hustler, featuring a stunning central performance by Félix Maritaud.

THEO & HUGO: PARIS 05:59 (France, 2016) - After meeting at an orgy in a sex club, Theo & Hugo get to know one another as they make their way home.

YOU'RE KILLING ME (USA, 2015) - Horror/comedy. George thinks his new boyfriend has a killer sense of humor. But that's not the only thing "killer" about him...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 20, 2020 9:35 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 20, 2020 9:40 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 20, 2020 9:41 PM

This one's getting a full series:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 20, 2020 9:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 20, 2020 9:43 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 20, 2020 9:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 20, 2020 9:46 PM

All Over the Guy is a great romcom whose advertising in the not-so-fay 90's focused instead on the barely-there subplot of one or of the gay character's heterosexual friend.

by Anonymousreply 26January 20, 2020 9:52 PM

It’s MY time! It’s MY time!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 20, 2020 10:53 PM

Better than anything posted here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 21, 2020 2:52 AM

Being 17. Probably my favorite of the gay films to come out in the past five years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 21, 2020 4:00 AM

Free Fall. And they’re filming a sequel!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 21, 2020 4:02 AM

Mario.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 21, 2020 4:03 AM

The [italic]Eating Out[/italic] movies are good for eye candy only.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 21, 2020 4:31 AM

With foreign films, not only do you get more emotional depth and better characters, but better eye candy as well. American gay films are mostly stupid comedies or the type of gay remake of some straight film.

by Anonymousreply 33January 21, 2020 5:20 AM

DOG TAGS (2008) got terrible reviews gay & straight, but I really enjoy it and count it as a favorite movie. It’s about two bi guys who find a kind of NSA soulmate love more than a romantic gay story, and it’s about the complications of social identity in wartime/the Bush years over the gay experience. What I liked though was that the gay themes were handled respectfully and realistically, not overwrought or cliched.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 21, 2020 7:23 AM

The Curiosity Of Chance has a bit of a John Hughes feel to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 21, 2020 8:03 AM

R34: It's bad reviews were due to the bi shit, and you loved it because you are also bi!

by Anonymousreply 36January 21, 2020 8:34 AM

Waiting In The Wings:The Musical

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 21, 2020 10:15 AM

The Argentinean indie hardcore film Starving (2015).

The link is an excerpt of one of the scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 21, 2020 10:38 AM

I agree with the those above recommendations of Trick and Beautiful Thing. Both are good films.

by Anonymousreply 39January 21, 2020 10:41 AM

I recommend August which I think is still on Dekkoo, started as a short then was turned into a feature starring Murray Bartlett from Looking. His character comes back to town (LA) and disrupts his ex's current relationship.

Beauty which is I think a South African film, about a closeted man with a crush on the twenty something son of a friend/colleague. It really stayed with me the first time I saw it.

Hot Guys with Guns is a kind of fun whodunit crime story with Daryl Stephens from Noah's Arc. I appreciated it because it put some topical stuff to good use in creating the mystery, and is a genre where there don't seem to be many decent gay films.

There's another one on Dekkoo, the title escapes me, about a guy who's a prostitute and spends the night sort of working his way through one building. I can't remember if he's trying to find his way out of the building and keeps getting distracted or not, the acting is rough in places, it succeeds mainly on the charm of the lead. It's was available on Hulu before and might still be.

by Anonymousreply 40January 21, 2020 10:45 AM

I've seen Another Gay Sequel: Gays Gone Wild and yes it's dumb as hell but the threesome scene with Colton Ford was funny and Colton looked fucking amazing.

Gay indie films are usually so low budget they can't afford to hire anyone with any shred of acting ability unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 41January 21, 2020 10:56 AM

And Plata Quemada (Burnt Money) based on a true story about bank robbing lovers from Argentina,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 21, 2020 10:56 AM

While I agree the international films are where you should look, some American ones I thought were nice.

Shelter.

The Trip.

Mudge Boy.

by Anonymousreply 43January 21, 2020 11:16 AM

R43: I did like Shelter.

by Anonymousreply 44January 21, 2020 11:21 AM

Frisk (1996), Longtime Companion (1990), Outrageous (1977), Taxi Zum Klu (1981), Swoon (1991)

by Anonymousreply 45January 21, 2020 11:21 AM

Shelter, Weekend are both good movies.

by Anonymousreply 46January 21, 2020 11:27 AM

R46: Yes. But Weekend did depress me a bit especially at the end. Why couldn't they have stayed together!

by Anonymousreply 47January 21, 2020 11:30 AM

- Moonlight (not indie but vert good)

- End of the century

by Anonymousreply 48January 21, 2020 11:41 AM

R47 You're spoiling 😂🤷‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 49January 21, 2020 11:43 AM

R49: 😬🤐

by Anonymousreply 50January 21, 2020 11:50 AM

Holding the man and Those people on Netflix. Also an indie serie Eastsider on Netflix.

In The Graystale, Behond The Wall, Land Of The Storm,

by Anonymousreply 51January 21, 2020 11:59 AM

Some of my favorite "gay" films are stories of two male characters where one (or both) is perceived as gay by the audience but it's never declared or acted on, and then we watch the complications in that male/male relationship unfold as they deal with everything else in the world and the story. Like APARTMENT ZERO or WITHNAIL AND I.

by Anonymousreply 52January 21, 2020 12:16 PM

R52 This doesn't exactly fit your criteria, but I always thought of SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY (1971) in this way, even though the male couple is out (sort of). A beautiful, fantastic film.

by Anonymousreply 53January 21, 2020 12:19 PM

R51: Holding The Man was depressing and EXTREMELY sad! I cried so much! And the way that one of the leading "gay" male characters in the movie was extremely affectionate with his "female friend", and at one point in the film in a romantic embrace with his "female friend" while his boyfriend was always abandoned; that pissed me off immensely!

by Anonymousreply 54January 21, 2020 12:20 PM

I really loved Apartment Zero when it came out R52 - I need to watch it again.

Shelter is probably my favorite of all time, but depending on my mood, I might go for The Way He Looks. They're two completely different movies (the first is about a guy coming to grips with falling for a dude amongst his own family drama, and the second is about a highschooler who is blind who falls for the new guy). I could watch these two on repeat. Both are followed by Trick and Big Eden.

4th man Out (2015) is good, but predictable.

Almost Normal (2005) is a cute take on what the world would be like if it was normal for the world to be gay. Hard to believe the main actor is actually straight in real life.

Breakfast with Scot is a cute movie about coming to grips with being gay. Plus it has Tom Cavanaugh and hockey - big bonus for me on both parts.

Mulligans is a good movie about a guy who falls for his son's friend. It's good, but not great, but it holds a special place for me because I've met the older male lead several times. He's a goofball in real life and is mostly a stuntman, but this is one of his only dramatic roles. He said he really loved making the movie.

All four of the Donald Strachey mystery movies are good. The lead actors had amazing chemistry.

I work from home, so I have to have some distraction (TV series or movie) playing on a second screen while I work. That's why I watch a lot of gay flicks.

by Anonymousreply 55January 21, 2020 12:53 PM

Another for Shelter. I actually bought that one.

I also loved The Curiosity of Chance.

by Anonymousreply 56January 21, 2020 1:15 PM

The Broken Hearts Club was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 57January 21, 2020 1:23 PM

It was mentioned above, but I think it can't be mentioned enough:

End of the Century

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 21, 2020 1:45 PM

Another good Spanish-language gay film:

Temblores

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 21, 2020 1:48 PM

R54 Seriously, stop the spoiler. It's not funny and it's so selfish. Anyway, I don't remember the female character you are referring to. Maybe you confuse with another film? Or it is my memory that plays tricks on me ... I loved this film, you make a very bad summary. Obviously it's sad considering the theme of the film, but above all it's absolutely beautiful. It's a true story which is very well transcribed

by Anonymousreply 60January 21, 2020 1:57 PM

r40, the movie you're thinking of is Strapped (2010), and it's one of my faves, too. I was really taken with the lead actor, Benjamin Bonenfant, to the point where I even went to Denver to see him in a production of John Logan's Red. I believe he's now trying to make it in New York, but he hasn't done any further film work, which is disappointing. He's very good looking and an excellent actor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 21, 2020 3:00 PM

If you like brooding, arty movies with hot guys, Mexico's Julian Hernandez delivers some nice visuals; my favorites are Broken Sky (2006) and Raging Sun, Raging Sky (2009). Strictly for patient viewers, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 21, 2020 3:08 PM

Another good one from Mexico is 4 Moons (2014), which presents 4 interlocking stories of the various stage of gay mens' lives: youth, young adulthood, middle age, elderly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 21, 2020 3:11 PM

I really loved Adam & Steve when it came out and remember thinking it was a riot. There's a scene where the lead walks to a gay bar patio and it's just a huge cloud of cig smoke and out of the ether emerges a know-it-all twink. Too relatable. And there's Parker Posey in a fat suit.

Sadly it seems to be memory holed in the US? It's not on iTunes and I can't find it to watch anywhere. You'd have to buy like an old DVD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 21, 2020 3:15 PM

Burnt Money = Best gay film ever, with two of the best-looking actors ever. See it, if you haven't already.

by Anonymousreply 65January 21, 2020 3:31 PM

I really liked this sweet Finnish film that didn't get much attention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 21, 2020 3:48 PM

Esteros was pretty good.

I think it is currently streaming on Tubi.

by Anonymousreply 67January 21, 2020 4:00 PM

Girls Will be Girls is probably one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Wasn't expecting it. All the female roles are played by men. One of the writes of Arrested Development directed it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 21, 2020 5:54 PM

Where the hell do you watch these movies streaming. None of these are on Netflix. Netflix needs to hire someone to acquire more LGBT content!!!

by Anonymousreply 69January 21, 2020 5:56 PM

Fair Haven was a pretty good film

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 21, 2020 5:58 PM

I don't want another gay ripoff of [italic]The Breakfast Club[/italic], and I don't want another movie where the only way gays can be accepted is through womanface.

I want a gay version of [italic]Rambo[/italic] or [italic]Commando[/italic]: movies where gay bashers get mowed down with machine guns by muscular gay hunks who get the guy in the end.

by Anonymousreply 71January 21, 2020 5:58 PM

From Afar. Cute bad boy twink falls in love with a 60 year old man. Perfect for DLers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 21, 2020 5:59 PM

I want movies about gays who bash back and bash hard. I want the gay equivalent of the scene in [italic]A Christmas Story[/italic] where Ralphie finally fights back against Scot Farkas.

by Anonymousreply 73January 21, 2020 5:59 PM

Amazon has most of them, R69. They have a MUCH better selection of just about everything.

by Anonymousreply 74January 21, 2020 6:00 PM

[quote] Girls Will be Girls is probably one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Wasn't expecting it. All the female roles are played by men. One of the writes of Arrested Development directed it.

That explains how they let a pig like Jeffrey Tambor get away with what he got away with.

by Anonymousreply 75January 21, 2020 6:01 PM

Streaming sucks. I want discs.

by Anonymousreply 76January 21, 2020 6:01 PM

Get Real

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 21, 2020 6:04 PM

I want gay movies that are 100% gay both in front of and behind the camera.

by Anonymousreply 78January 21, 2020 6:05 PM

GAYBY. I found it Very funny and well-written. Agree with above posters on SHELTER & ALL OVER THE GUY. Two other good ones: WHAT HAPPENS NEXT and WHOLE NEW THING.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79January 21, 2020 6:06 PM

R75 What are you talking about? Tambor isn't in Girls Will Be Girls.

by Anonymousreply 80January 21, 2020 6:44 PM

But he was on [italic]Arrested Development[/italic], the show the writer of that movie also wrote for.

by Anonymousreply 81January 21, 2020 6:46 PM

R75 You're a dope. STFU.

by Anonymousreply 82January 21, 2020 6:48 PM

R82, you're a misogynist. You shut the fuck up and stop making excuses for breeder male sexual harassment of women.

by Anonymousreply 83January 21, 2020 6:49 PM

Oh I see. You're a troll. Go back the Inland Empire thread, you dumbass,

by Anonymousreply 84January 21, 2020 6:51 PM

Nope, R84, the troll is you.

by Anonymousreply 85January 21, 2020 6:52 PM

God's Own Country might be my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 21, 2020 6:54 PM

R86: The only thing I did not like about that movie was the foreskins.

by Anonymousreply 87January 21, 2020 6:57 PM

Clapham Junction is extremely downbeat but totally worth it for the super hot scenes between Joseph Mawle and Luke Treadaway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 21, 2020 7:26 PM

Beach Rats was pretty good. The lead actor is a cute Brit and up and coming. And with that body, it's worth it. (Word is there's an erection in one scene if you look close-- I missed it, but I assume it's true.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 21, 2020 7:34 PM

R89 Agree! I really liked Beach Rats.

by Anonymousreply 90January 21, 2020 9:29 PM

Queuing up Beach Rats AWS.

by Anonymousreply 91January 21, 2020 10:22 PM

For A Lost Soldier

by Anonymousreply 92January 21, 2020 10:38 PM

Opposing opinion: [italic]Beach Rats[/italic] is a POS, written & directed by a straight woman who feels that uncritically using gay bashing as a plot device somehow makes her movie "edgy".

[quote]I want movies about gays who bash back and bash hard. I want the gay equivalent of the scene in [italic]A Christmas Story[/italic] where Ralphie finally fights back against Scot Farkas.

Check out [italic]The Living End[/italic] (1992) from director Gregg Araki.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 21, 2020 10:47 PM

[quote] Opposing opinion: Beach Rats is a POS, written & directed by a straight woman who feels that uncritically using gay bashing as a plot device somehow makes her movie "edgy".

It does … if this was 1987 and this was [italic]St. Elsewhere[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 94January 21, 2020 10:51 PM

Not only that, but Beach Rats was booooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggg.

by Anonymousreply 95January 21, 2020 10:54 PM

Don't agree. R95 And Greg Araki movies are an embarrassment to filmmaking. Utter garbage.

by Anonymousreply 96January 21, 2020 11:04 PM

R96 A lot of people have said this about Araki's films, going back to the 90's (when openly gay films were more scarce). I dunno... I get why people say this. They're kind of simple. They're trendy and of their time. They're hyper-stylized. But are his films really that bad? Compared to what? The glut of *genuinely* bad gay films that came out in the following decades? Worse than those? Seriously?

I think his films are more or less quite good, and have aged well if you watch them now. My opinion.

by Anonymousreply 97January 21, 2020 11:10 PM

The acting is usually atrocious and the art direction looks cheap, the lighting is awful, his plot lines are stupid. Frankly, I'm surprised everything is in focus. You can keep him.

by Anonymousreply 98January 21, 2020 11:18 PM

It's a crime to not mention Bruce La Bruce. He's a genius!

by Anonymousreply 99January 21, 2020 11:19 PM

R88 is correct, if understating.

I found CLAPHAM JUNCTION unbearably depressing, so much so I had to watch it split over two different nights of the week (Mary!, I know). It’s not even just the typical English bleakness one comes to expect; there’s something at its core that’s deeply nihilistic and mournful but revels in it’s stagnant hopelessness. It’s very bizarre.

For me I think this impression arises because the characters never come to any satisfying conclusion, good or ill. They just end up hurt and alone and at a loss but barely knowing why. There’s a morbid tone at even the most banal or funny moments, that casts an icy pall over the entire piece; it is felt as keenly in the shivery love scenes between Treadaway & Mawle (which I found less hot and more just tearful) as in the scattershot snarky little hush-hush conversations between Wilby & Graves (though it was good to see them reunite onscreen in gay roles). Such open-endedness should make for levity, one would think, but instead it creates a giant sinkhole in the film into which your stomach will likely plummet.

The cinematography only makes this worse, floating as if on tiptoes moving through drizzly London streets and tipping to spin the perspective with nauseating effect. The light is sickly or saturated wherever we go in the story. Entrances & exits into scenes are shot at a strange distance that is too close but not intimate. Everything glitters and glows and we can see it all clearly, but it’s unwelcoming.

In this sense I was reminded of cult tragicomedy IN BRUGES with Colin Farrell, and also the earlier atmospheric British film I’LL SLEEP WHEN I’M DEAD, with Clive Owen & Jonathan Rhys-Meyers (clip below, trigger-warning for a male rape scene). Both are queasy, unsettling watches too.

I’m no scholar and feel inadequate to describe this impression any better, but suffice to say when you see it I’m sure you’ll understand. I’m glad I watched CJ the once, but don’t think I ever will again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 22, 2020 12:13 AM

R100: Clapham Junction was probably the most depressing one ever!

by Anonymousreply 101January 22, 2020 12:29 AM

R66 - here's a non-sweet Finnish film . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102January 22, 2020 12:33 AM

"You and I" is a German film about one straight friend, one gay friend, and a Polish hitchhiker on a camping trip with a stopover at a woodlands mansion. A little slow but kept my interest, mainly because one of the actors was a doppelganger for an ex BF.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 22, 2020 12:46 AM

Which star actual gay actors? I hate when "gay" indie movies star straight guys.

by Anonymousreply 104January 22, 2020 1:27 AM

"Who's Afraid of Vagina Wolf?" Not perfect, but much to like in this little film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105January 22, 2020 1:37 AM

The Blond One (2019) from Marco Berger. Gaston Re is just the sweetest man you'll ever meet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106January 22, 2020 2:24 AM

Beach Rats. It's Good.

by Anonymousreply 107January 22, 2020 2:28 AM

At least that's not about adults preying on teenagers, which is more than I can say about that movie about Horseface and Ratboy.

by Anonymousreply 108January 22, 2020 2:32 AM

SJP and Adam Driver made a movie together? ^

by Anonymousreply 109January 22, 2020 2:49 AM

KM.0 (Kilometer Zero) - sort of “Love Actually”, if told by Pedro Almodovar. One of the storylines centers on two guys hooking up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110January 23, 2020 11:31 AM

Handsome Devil - a loner is forced to share a room at an all boys boarding school with the star athlete.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111January 23, 2020 11:34 AM

R100

Thank you for that detailed, insightful review of Clapham Junction. I'm one of the people that really like (liked?) the movie but you opened an entirely new view of it and I'm going to watch it again tonight with your thoughts in mind.

I'd only quibble about the scene with Treadaway and Mawle.

Can we be friends and go to the movies together? I'd love to hear all your opinions!

Thanks, again.

by Anonymousreply 112January 23, 2020 1:01 PM

Compliments to R31 for suggesting MARIO Compliments to R107 for mentioning BEACH RATS Compliments to R86 for mentioning GODS OWN COUNTRY

They are each good indie films. They are all available for free in the NY PL system.

You might want to check out a British film called PRIDE or A VERY BRITISH SCANDAL (Both based on historic events) A German movie called SUMMER STORM. I think someone else mentioned FREE FALL. A Swedish film called PATRIK 1.5 From Canada, MAMBO ITALIANO ( I fell in love with Luke Kirby) and GIANT LITTLE ONES From Australia, THE SUM OF US (with Russell Crowe)

Don't bother with DISOBEDIENCE, the novel was ten times better, the film adaptation was a letdown.

by Anonymousreply 113January 28, 2020 12:55 AM

Agree with R52 and R55 about APARTMENT ZERO. What a riveting film.

Also A SINGLE MAN, very true to the novel.

Crazy humor - DIE MOMMIE DIE

NORTH SEA TEXAS is beautiful

by Anonymousreply 114January 28, 2020 1:25 AM

OUR LADY OF THE ASSASSINS is a Colombian film about a man who returns to his hometown in Colombia and falls for the member of a street gang.

by Anonymousreply 115January 28, 2020 1:33 AM

Isn't every gay themed film with the exception of Brokeback Mountain and Love, Simon technically an indie film?

by Anonymousreply 116January 28, 2020 3:20 AM

Mysterious Skin (2004) and the Australian film Head On (1998).

by Anonymousreply 117January 28, 2020 11:10 AM

BEAUTIFUL SOMETHING

IN THE NAME OF

JONGENS

PRIDE

G. B. F.

KEEP THE LIGHTS ON

4th MAN OUT (This one really hit home, similar to my experience in coming out to my straight male friends).

WE WERE ONE MAN

DROWN (Australian, I think)

COWBOYS AND ANGELS

There's also a Scandinavian film I thought was terrific. I saw it one night on cable and I don't remember the name. About a married governmental official who questions his sexuality when he becomes attracted to a male lobbyist.

by Anonymousreply 118February 2, 2020 4:30 PM

Lazy Eye. Two middle-aged guys who had separated fifteen years earlier reunite in the California desert. They have a hot sex scene and good chemistry.

As a newly-minted eldergay, there was a lot I identified with.

by Anonymousreply 119February 2, 2020 4:36 PM

I enjoyed Love, Simon, Jeffrey, Brokeback Mountain, and God’s Own Country. There are many titles in this thread I never heard of before, and will check them out. On the whole though, about 90% of gay films I’ve seen on Amazon Prime, Netflix, or Hulu have been shit. Many are depressing (cute, endearing protagonist wins the heart of so and so, and then dies of AIDS/suicide/homicide/car accident/drug overdose), repetitive (coming of age movies, or gay X and straight Y are reunited years later...will sparks fly?, etc), or attempted comedies which try way too hard.

by Anonymousreply 120February 2, 2020 4:56 PM

[quote]There's also a Scandinavian film I thought was terrific. I saw it one night on cable and I don't remember the name. About a married governmental official who questions his sexuality when he becomes attracted to a male lobbyist.

FYRA ÅR TILL (2010) from Sweden. It was released as FOUR MORE YEARS in the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121February 2, 2020 5:17 PM

Thanks R121, I might watch it again. Sincerely R118

R120, I agree with you. For each I've mentioned in my post, I've watched (or attempted to watch) another two lousy second-rate gay -themed indie. To quote your post, there are a lot of movies with these story lines "coming of age movies" OR "gay X and straight Y are reunited years later...will sparks fly?"

Last week, I borrowed GRIMSEY from my library. It should have been a short film, but it was filled up with about an hour of music playing over images of water and ships. Another stinker was SUNBURN from Portugal. Lots of people sitting around a swimming pool talking about a guy they all miss.

by Anonymousreply 122February 2, 2020 6:15 PM

Ernesto

Tan Lines

THE CURSE OF EDGAR

The Wedding Banquet

My Beautiful Laundrette

As You Are

Time to Leave

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123February 2, 2020 7:40 PM

From Australia:

WAKE IN FRIGHT (based on a novel by Kenneth Cook based on a real event)

CUT SNAKE

THE SLAP (This is a mini-series based on a novel)

THE SUM OF US (Russell Crowe as a young gay Australian soccer player)

WALK LIKE A MAN (A documentary about gay Australian rugby players)

HOLDING THE MAN (based on a true story of a young gay Australian couple). I really didn't like the characters, so I wasn't a fan of the film.

AMMONITE (This will be released in theaters in the Spring).

by Anonymousreply 124February 7, 2020 1:52 AM

FROM ISRAEL:

CUPCAKES

EYES WIDE OPEN

THE CAKEMAKER

OUT IN THE DARK

WALK ON WATER

by Anonymousreply 125February 7, 2020 1:55 AM

"Parting Glances" is a good one. It features a young Steve Buscemi. Sadly the director, Bill Sherwood, died of AIDS before completing another film.

by Anonymousreply 126February 7, 2020 2:08 AM

R104 : Adam & Steve stars gay actors doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 127February 7, 2020 2:17 AM

Coming Out (1989)

When this film was being screened the Berlin Wall was being torn apart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128February 7, 2020 2:18 AM

From the 1970's:

Something For Everyone

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129February 7, 2020 2:38 AM

I'd suggest skipping ADAM and STEVE.

by Anonymousreply 130February 7, 2020 2:40 AM

Maurice

R115's choice, Our Lady of the Assassins, was memorable.

Europa Europa

by Anonymousreply 131February 7, 2020 2:51 AM

Farewell My Concubine

by Anonymousreply 132February 7, 2020 2:51 AM

This list is being hotly debated on another thread, but what do you all think? I agree with the top 3, but the rest of the list is kind of hit and miss for me. Love Holding the Man though

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133February 7, 2020 3:15 PM

Do any of you Australians remember this Aussie Independent movie? I can't remember the Titile. Released in the mid 2000s.

It was a story about a middle-aged man who becomes creepily obsessed with his daughter's boyfriend/fiance and starts stalking him. The ending takes place in a hotel room, when the older man attempts to kiss the young man. (I don't want to spoil the ending)

The Middle aged man who played the lead is a well known Aussie actor, i think. He is NOT an attractive man, is bald, heavyset, and looks really mean. The young man who played the boyfriend was very handsome. Does this sound familiar? What's the title?

by Anonymousreply 134February 7, 2020 7:47 PM

R134 It's South African, not Australian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135February 7, 2020 7:51 PM

Beauty (2011) is a really good movie!!! Thanks r135!

by Anonymousreply 136February 7, 2020 7:54 PM

It seems that Spanish language gay films (Hispanic/Spain) is more 'sexually fluid' than the American/(mostly) European ones and obviously more towards for the bi audience, it's good to know this.

by Anonymousreply 137February 7, 2020 8:36 PM

Irish: Rialto

Norwegian: Mannen som elsket Yngve(The Man Who Loved Yngve)

Spanish: El Sexo de Angles(The Sex of Angels)

by Anonymousreply 138August 9, 2020 7:52 AM

[quote]It seems that Spanish language gay films (Hispanic/Spain) is more 'sexually fluid' than the American/(mostly) European ones and obviously more towards for the bi audience, it's good to know this.

In Spain gay and bisexual characters figure more prominently than in the U.S. and their roles are less comic counterparts to the more important characters in a story. It's done in the same matter-of-fact way that if an actor in a TV series or film gets out of bed, you will likely see his dick.

by Anonymousreply 139August 9, 2020 11:44 AM

I watched “Almost Love” on Netflix last night. It’s hardly a gay classic but it was a pleasant, if disjointed, little film. The surprise for me was Scott Evans who I thought was quite good. Before this I had only seen him on All My Children years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140August 19, 2020 3:47 PM

The Breeding. Offensive on so many levels I don’t know where to begin.

by Anonymousreply 141August 19, 2020 4:04 PM

It's strange that some of these gay films have actual sex in them but still be considered a 'film'.

by Anonymousreply 142August 22, 2020 2:53 AM

Who actually watches this shit? They're juvenile, mindless and horribly cliched. It's mindless dreck, and perpetuates every stereotype about gay men.

by Anonymousreply 143August 22, 2020 10:40 AM

I Am Jonas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 22, 2020 10:55 AM

"Longhorns" was pretty good.

I hate weepy gay melodramas and tragic endings. The descriptive word that embodies us is GAY... so let's be shiny happy people and not doom and gloom.

by Anonymousreply 145August 22, 2020 11:54 AM

Can't think of the name at this moment but there's a movie about a woman who later on learns that she has a terminal illness. Her single bi/pan brother eventually moves in with her and her boyfriend. As the woman's illness progressively gets worse. She decides that she wants her straight boyfriend and bi/pan brother to get together and tells them both about it. She also tells her boyfriend that she would be very upset if he tried moving on with another woman.

by Anonymousreply 146August 22, 2020 12:56 PM

R140 Wtf is a queer role? Also, I'll pass every film that features these gay actors who believe that gays have rights because of trannies.

by Anonymousreply 147August 25, 2020 2:13 PM

That one was especially horrible R146.

by Anonymousreply 148August 25, 2020 2:17 PM

Private Romeo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149August 25, 2020 2:17 PM

JC Calciano has made some decent (not great) gay Indie films like 'Is It Just Me?', 'eCupid', and 'The 10 Year Plan'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150August 25, 2020 2:32 PM

I liked FROM ZERO TO I LOVE YOU...but only for Darryl Stephens.

by Anonymousreply 151August 25, 2020 3:11 PM

The one where one of the guys is possessed by the spirit of the dead wife is another horror, but it has hot sex scenes

by Anonymousreply 152August 26, 2020 5:19 AM

Capital Games - interesting film, attractive guys of course in the leads, totally different types.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153September 8, 2020 8:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!