Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tell me more about Italy

Apparently they have the highest tested IQ in all of Europe. Unsure of how true that is but they certainly used to be the seat of the Roman Empire!

by Anonymousreply 570March 19, 2020 11:32 AM

Yes, they do. It’s a nice country but can never seem to keep a government together. Go figure. The men are absolutely gorgeous. It’s fucking frightening how attractiveness is a dime a dozen there and huge cocks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 24, 2019 7:20 PM

They come in at #5 after Asian countries in IQ rank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 24, 2019 7:21 PM

They bizarrely have larger brains on average.

That being said, there has always been a difference between Northern and Southern Italians. Southern Italians faced poverty and many fled to the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 24, 2019 7:26 PM

It produces the most irritating people on earth

by Anonymousreply 4December 24, 2019 7:28 PM

Currently living in Italy. Half the guys on grindr are in relationships with women.

by Anonymousreply 5December 24, 2019 7:35 PM

Unlike the rest of Western Europe, they seem to be under the thumb of the Catholic Church politically.

by Anonymousreply 6December 24, 2019 7:40 PM

My family is originally from the north. Fabulously gorgeous men, landscapes and cities. High fashion and design. Delicious good. Siesta. Bisexuality for men is endemic and not even questioned or adressed . An italian Mamma puts a jewish Mother to shame. Pretty girls. It's not meant to be a unified country.

by Anonymousreply 7December 24, 2019 7:43 PM

My italian Mother did my laundry until I was 40 yo, married with kids. I never lift a finger when I am visiting. My sisters do everything. I don't even enter the kitchen when she's cooking. Being a Guy is heaven. And of course I am gorgeous, even at my age. Thanks, Italy

by Anonymousreply 8December 24, 2019 7:48 PM

Trannies will not like it there. Distinct gender roles are strongly ingrained in the culture.

by Anonymousreply 9December 24, 2019 7:52 PM

[quote]It produces the most irritating people on earth

As well as some of the biggest assholes. They have serious attitude problems and are rude as hell.

by Anonymousreply 10December 24, 2019 8:06 PM

R9

Are you kidding? Trans love strict gender roles. Binary trans can't exist without them (how do you know a man's a "woman" unless women are defined by clothes), and non-binaries define themselves in opposition to those roles.

by Anonymousreply 11December 24, 2019 8:29 PM

[quote]Trannies will not like it there.

You sure don't know what you're talking about. Italian men love Trannies.

by Anonymousreply 12December 24, 2019 8:40 PM

[quote]As well as some of the biggest assholes. They have serious attitude problems and are rude as hell.

R10 has never been to Italy.

by Anonymousreply 13December 24, 2019 8:41 PM

Oh! Women are defined by CLOTHES! Dumb me thinking it was the XX gene. I now understand the trans movement.

by Anonymousreply 14December 24, 2019 8:41 PM

It is shaped like a boot! 👢

by Anonymousreply 15December 24, 2019 8:43 PM

Handsome, stylish, well-dressed men with perfectly intact penises. Nice scenery too. A bit chaotic.

by Anonymousreply 16December 24, 2019 8:44 PM

The men are a bit “handsy”.

by Anonymousreply 17December 24, 2019 8:49 PM

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics German, the lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the chefs are British, the mechanics French, the lover's Swiss, the police German and it's all organised by the Italians.

by Anonymousreply 18December 24, 2019 8:54 PM

Wow R18, did you make that up?

by Anonymousreply 19December 24, 2019 8:57 PM

No R19, saw it online. But it’s very true.

by Anonymousreply 20December 24, 2019 8:59 PM

"My italian Mother did my laundry until I was 40 yo, married with kids. I never lift a finger when I am visiting. My sisters do everything. I don't even enter the kitchen when she's cooking. Being a Guy is heaven."

That is revolting. You sound like a douche.

by Anonymousreply 21December 24, 2019 10:25 PM

Frau triggered alert @R21, run for the hills people!

by Anonymousreply 22December 24, 2019 10:28 PM

"Unlike the rest of Western Europe, they seem to be under the thumb of the Catholic Church politically."

Not so much R6.

Italy has had one of the most liberal abortion laws in all of Europe for many years. Also, marriage rates have dropped over the past 3 decades and Italian fertility rates have been some of the lowest in the world for decades (due to decreased marriage and women using contraception).

Seems like many Italians are choosing to not follow important Catholic dogma.

by Anonymousreply 23December 24, 2019 11:00 PM

They have their own champagne and mostly keep it to themselves. Franciacorta.

I have very popular tastes I feel that everything Italian rises to the very top of things that appeal to popular taste.

For example in opera after years of ignoring my love for popular Romantic and Contemporary opera, it's what I want. What I play and what I pay to see more often than not.

Let's take 3 slick fashion young men, say Spanish, Italian, and French. The Italian is going to have the best look, somehow.

Art, architecture, garden design, urban design, fashion, perfumery, jewelry, wine, cuisine - there is usually one culture that does it with more refinement than the Italians, but the Italians do it with the perfect, pleasing easy to love effect.

by Anonymousreply 24December 25, 2019 2:08 AM

R13 Oh yes I have and that’s how I came to my opinion. Beautiful buildings and scenery, but the people are assholes - especially the men.

by Anonymousreply 25December 25, 2019 2:18 AM

Italians know how to fuck. Beware.

by Anonymousreply 26December 25, 2019 2:29 AM

R25 = the nightmare tourist

by Anonymousreply 27December 25, 2019 2:34 AM

It's full of foreigners.

by Anonymousreply 28December 25, 2019 2:35 AM

Lots of jerking off in train station johns. Huge cocks and gorgeous suits on the married men who frequent these places for a quick wank.

by Anonymousreply 29December 25, 2019 2:36 AM

R23, but why are they still against gay-marriage (but not unions)? I mean, even formerly devoutly Catholic Ireland has gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 30December 25, 2019 2:39 AM

R30 Polling shows that Italians aren't against gay marriage but that's the one area that, yes, the Italian government (whether right or left ) isn't going to go against the Vatican.

Italy does have civil unions which have the rights of gay marriage with the exception of adopting children.

But R23 is correct that most Italians don't follow strict Catholic dogma.

by Anonymousreply 31December 25, 2019 2:50 AM

Currently living in Italy. Most of what has been written is true although the good looks tend to go by 40 unless they maintain them, and are mitigated by the extreme shortness. Even the best example, David, is clearly a short, stocky man. The word chaos doesn't even begin to cover it. Hardly any of the infrastructure functions properly almost to the level of a third world country and this is in Florence, not even talking about the south! In Rome, they are incapable of picking up the garbage, and rats will cross your path during an evening stroll. The red tape people have to deal with is off the charts, the taxes are very high to compensate for the vast number who don't pay anything, and the laws, when they are exerted, are harsh and punitive. The Italian people are lovely; they appreciate art and beauty; they are not depressive; they love their country, language and culture; and they have a lot of "soul." Italy is a great place to live as long as you can live on the surface and don't have to deal with the red tape, poor infrastructure, corruption and high taxes.

by Anonymousreply 32December 25, 2019 2:52 AM

Spain seems like the most modern of the Southern European countries (based on infrastructure).

by Anonymousreply 33December 25, 2019 3:00 AM

Thanks R32! How do Italians feel about their centuries old history, Pompeii, Roman Empire, Roman mythology?

They live right next to millennium old architecture! The roads they walk on were built centuries upon centuries ago! How do they reconcile that!?

by Anonymousreply 34December 25, 2019 3:02 AM

R32 is exactly my perception - though based only on brief visits. The chaos is something that ruins the whole experience for me. And poor maintenance. I much prefer vacationing in Northern Europe - so much less hassle and so much cleaner and well maintained. France is a good middle ground.

by Anonymousreply 35December 25, 2019 3:10 AM

The Italians identify strongly with their history and culture, which they believe is the very best, along with the climate, scenery, cuisine, wine, fashion and everything else. They are not arrogant, just confident about this. There are some real difficulties living here. Italy is in a major earthquake zone (just had one in Tuscany), the rivers are prone to flooding (right now in Orange Zone in Tuscany). The Metro in Rome is very limited for the size of the city because no matter where they dig, they uncover valuable Roman ruins and artefacts. Consequently people have to take buses, and due to the traffic gridlocks, getting anywhere takes forever. You have to be able to tolerate a lot of unpredictability and things not going to plan to be happy in Italy. And one way the Italians deal with it is they do what they want without much regard for rules and order. If this bothers you, Italy is not the place for you. The upside is you can do what you want too - push ahead to the front of the queue! I personally do not like the northern countries, eg Switzerland, where you will be censured if you flush a toilet after 11 pm in a condominium building. R35 is correct, France is a good middle ground, as is Portugal.

by Anonymousreply 36December 25, 2019 3:19 AM

[quote]mitigated by the extreme shortness.

?? Height is the same as France, taller than Spain.

Re: Florence infrastructure.

For a small city it has very good efficient public transportation and a train station that connects well to the rest of Italy and Europe. It's new tram wonderful BTW. And public transportation is relatively cheap.

[quote] and the laws, when they are exerted, are harsh and punitive.

No one goes to jail in Italy for unpaid taxes.

by Anonymousreply 37December 25, 2019 3:23 AM

Must get back to sleep before starting the Christmas festivities, but a few more comments.

The men are indeed short here....many are under 5'4".

Yes, the tram in Florence is very good, but really you can walk everywhere.

Trains are not great compared to other parts of Europe. Frequently very late, dirty, crowded and they are expensive.

True, a jail sentence for many crimes is never imposed, but the fines can be enormous for minor things!

Buon Natale a tutti!

by Anonymousreply 38December 25, 2019 3:32 AM

[quote]many are under 5'4".

Statistically Italy is in the norm for height. Many under 5'4"? That's simply ridiculous.

[quote]Trains are not great compared to other parts of Europe. Frequently very late, dirty, crowded and they are expensive.

Once again you simply don't know what you're talking about.

Italy (along with Portugal) has the least expensive train system in western Europe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 25, 2019 3:45 AM

Does every country in Europe think it's the best?

People are kind of partial to their own country, no? Surely, Switzerland, Russia, Norway etc, surely they all think on some level they are a cut above the rest?

There's no place like home. 👠👠

by Anonymousreply 40December 25, 2019 3:47 AM

Italians are very cultured and intelligent, well-dressed and "European," absolutely nothing like the guido Italian-Americans one is used to in the US. The contrast is unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 41December 25, 2019 3:51 AM

Why are Italians so enthralled by the Catholic hierarchy politically?

by Anonymousreply 42December 25, 2019 3:55 AM

Why do Italians dress up and why don't Americans dress like Italians?

In the movie Head Full of Honey, all the Italian are wearing these old 1920s berets. Do people still wear those?

by Anonymousreply 43December 25, 2019 3:58 AM

Why do Italians dress up and why don't Americans dress like Italians?

In the movie Head Full of Honey, all the Italian are wearing these old 1920s berets. Do people still wear those?

by Anonymousreply 44December 25, 2019 3:58 AM

Like this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 25, 2019 4:01 AM

Italians have an instinct for beauty. It's not the only culture that does but it's remarkable. One result of La Bella figura is public display of beauty - looking clean, sharp, fashionable, beautiful. It's an imperative for many. Everybody wins in this. A successful result gives benefits to the person who made the effort, and to the public viewing the person.

In the USA, you have too many beautiful young people, who certainly have the limited means necessary, dressing like pigs or with purposeful weirdness. Nobody wins in that game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 25, 2019 4:07 AM

[quote]Why are Italians so enthralled by the Catholic hierarchy politically?

Where did you get the information that Italians are "enthralled by the Catholic hierarchy politically"?

by Anonymousreply 47December 25, 2019 4:09 AM

I mean they are certainly responsible for a lot: the Renaissance alone.

by Anonymousreply 48December 25, 2019 5:25 AM

Come on, dish on Italian cocks.

by Anonymousreply 49December 25, 2019 5:25 AM

Northern Italians are not short.

by Anonymousreply 50December 25, 2019 5:25 AM

[quote]yes, the tram in Florence is very good, but really you can walk everywhere.

I find it hard to believe you know anything about Florence.

You can't walk to Scandicci. The purpose of the tram is to serve outlying areas.

by Anonymousreply 51December 25, 2019 5:37 AM

"My italian Mother did my laundry until I was 40 yo, married with kids"

40 year old men whose Mommy does their laundry = boner shrinker.

by Anonymousreply 52December 25, 2019 5:55 AM

I don't now about IQ, but i can state with certain that the overwhelming majority of Italian bi and gay men claim they're straight!

by Anonymousreply 53December 25, 2019 6:30 AM

I lived in Milan for 7 years. The men were on average as tall as me or nearly as tall (I'm 5'11). The Milanese are the snappiest dressers you will ever see anywhere. And they are beautiful. The food is absolutely divine. The Metro and tram system in Milan was excellent. There is bureaucracy to deal with that the rest of Western Europe probably doesn't have, but that's just the Italian (messy) way of governing. Overall, it was an enjoyable and very educational experience for me. The men mostly are quite well hung and of course uncut. I had a great time there for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 54December 25, 2019 6:34 AM

R52 I care not who does a native Italian's laundry or how often he sees or calls his momma. You probably haven't been laid by a good native Italian! If you had, you wouldn't make a stupid comment like yours!

by Anonymousreply 55December 25, 2019 6:34 AM

Any experiences with the mafioso men?

by Anonymousreply 56December 25, 2019 6:48 AM

I avoided the South partly for that reason. Southern Italians can be shady. The exception to this is over on the eastern side, where Lecce is. Beautiful place and very nice people.

by Anonymousreply 57December 25, 2019 6:50 AM

OP, just go buy this book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 25, 2019 6:50 AM

I lived in Venice when I was a little kid, though my family is American.

I'll give you a sample of why Italy is run by chaos. At one point in our stay, my mother wanted to go to the opera, and we went to La Fenice (the opera house) to buy tickets to La Traviata. The man at the box office didn't speak English (this was a long time ago) and my mother didn't speak Italian, so in order to be sure she knew what she was buying, he took us into the opera house to show us exactly the seats she was going to purchase.

It was incredible one-on-one service--but there was no one else at the box office, so anyone else who wanted to purchase biglietti to whatever performance had to wait till he got back to his post.

That's Italy: charming, helpful, personable, but kind of reckless.

I loved it. But I was too young to have to deal with the very layered and relentless bureaucracy that makes life hell for the population.

by Anonymousreply 59December 25, 2019 7:10 AM

Do they shave their pubes?

by Anonymousreply 60December 25, 2019 7:27 AM

I lived in Italy for several years as a young child and spoke Italian fluently. However, I subsequently forgot the language because I lived in a couple other countries where i had to learn their language. A few years ago I thought it would be good to retire in Italy because I know that I could pick up the language easily, and my feeble retirement funds would go further. I finally decided it was not a good idea because it's become even more politically unstable than the USA.

by Anonymousreply 61December 25, 2019 7:29 AM

I am getting a kick out of all this huge cock fantasy. Italian dick comes in all shapes and sizes and (gasp) many are tiny.

by Anonymousreply 62December 25, 2019 7:53 AM

R60 shaving is rare.

by Anonymousreply 63December 25, 2019 7:53 AM

The origin of the word "individual" is from Italy, and therein lies the rub. The Italians do not work "communally". They work for the interests of themselves or their families. As a culture, Italians seem to have certain aptitudes - for architecture, music, visual arts, and maybe, to a lesser extent, mathematics. Twice they invented the dome - first with Roman architects, (the Pantheon) and then in the late Middle Ages, with the Duomo in Florence, designed and built by Filippo Brunelleschi. The significance is that the dome is the most structurally sturdy of all tall architectural elements, enabling domes to withstand earthquakes when other buildings collapse. Apparently the Russian Tsars invited Italian architects (Marco Ruffo and Pietro Solari) to come to Moscow to design/redesign the Kremlin palaces and the Great Bell Tower, along with several of the main churches.

And we can't forget Leonardo da Vinci, Michaelangelo, and Galileo, among many others.

But forget getting together with other residents to clean up a vacant lot, or build a beautiful public park available to all.

by Anonymousreply 64December 25, 2019 8:03 AM

But the most important question- are they great in bed?

by Anonymousreply 65December 25, 2019 8:17 AM

Some of the cities are way too polluted for my liking; Milan, Turin, Naples...

A lot of Southern Italians moved to the center and north of Italy over the decades because economically Southern Italy is quite shitty. As for looks, some are hot but some are downright unfortunate. Europeans have this extremity of either being really good looking or really ugly. Americans are mostly average with few hot guys and also a lot of uglies.

by Anonymousreply 66December 25, 2019 8:20 AM

Contrary to what you'll hear here, if you have the $$$ the Amalfi Cost is heaven on earth.

by Anonymousreply 67December 25, 2019 8:26 AM

What are they like as sexual partners? Some of us want details and something to fantasize about.

by Anonymousreply 68December 25, 2019 8:30 AM

[QUOTE]You have to be able to tolerate a lot of unpredictability and things not going to plan to be happy in Italy. And one way the Italians deal with it is they do what they want without much regard for rules and order.

So it's a third world shithole with gorgeous ancient ruins.

by Anonymousreply 69December 25, 2019 8:30 AM

I have been lucky enough to travel all over Italy, and I love it. Being a recently formed country out of umpteen city states and small kingdoms the local history is very pronounced. That said, there is pride in being a unified state. The food is exceptional, and there are dozens of regional cuisines to discover. Sicily is my favourite so far. The people put an emphasis on looking their best at all times, and have great style. Milan is quite intimidating because it is a centre of fashion, and everyone is dressed up at all times. They don’t do casual. The history, culture, art and architecture are overwhelming at first. Don’t think you can cram everything into one trip. It’s not possible! Go back and take your time to appreciate things. Public transport is very efficient, well connected and cheap. We went by train between Rome, Florence and Milan a few years ago, and it was seamless. Buy good guide books. It’s worth the expense so you don’t miss anything. That is easily done when you are overwhelmed by the multitude of opportunities. After all that, I have to admit that Rome is my favourite. I am always surprised by something I didn’t see before. A word of warning- it can be expensive. Don’t assume anything. Take as much money as you can.

by Anonymousreply 70December 25, 2019 8:46 AM

[quote]Trains are not great compared to other parts of Europe. Frequently very late, dirty, crowded and they are expensive.

Much of the infrastructure, such as train service, is run by corrupt government officials who award jobs by taking bribes, etc...

There is a lot of government corruption, which is a big part of the reason for much of the chaos.

by Anonymousreply 71December 25, 2019 9:03 AM

[quote]Why are Italians so enthralled by the Catholic hierarchy politically?

The Catholic has been centered in Rome for thousands of years and is ingrained in the culture.

by Anonymousreply 72December 25, 2019 9:06 AM

^ that’s why it’s so surprising that everyone is uncut??

by Anonymousreply 73December 25, 2019 9:23 AM

Being “cut” is a Jewish thing. It’s also popular in the US for some unknown reason.

by Anonymousreply 74December 25, 2019 9:26 AM

Jewish & every Catholic I know!

by Anonymousreply 75December 25, 2019 9:43 AM

I grew up Catholic in the US, went to gym class, and am old enough to have experienced nude-optional swimming. I did not know about uncircumcision until I was 24 or 25 and took a puertorriqueño home one night from the Barefoot Boy. I thought I'd broken his dick.

It was an aha! moment for me that brought me back to my childhood, as there'd been a boy I knew growing up whose dick was tapered like a cigar, with pubic hair at one end and no head at the other. I was always nicer to this boy than I might otherwise have been, as he obviously had a deformed dick. At this moment, I realized his dick wasn't deformed. It was simply uncircumcised.

I knew Jesus had been circumcised, and that it was some kind of holy day, but the nuns weren't clear on what circumcision actually meant.

by Anonymousreply 76December 25, 2019 9:48 AM

R62 that is so true. I've spent some time in Italy. Mostly Florence and Rome. I had some great sex but huge cock size was not my experience.

by Anonymousreply 77December 25, 2019 10:08 AM

[quote]Public transport is very efficient, well connected and cheap. We went by train between Rome, Florence and Milan a few years ago, and it was seamless.

True.

It's so funny to hear Americans say that the train service in Italy is "chaotic". Far from the truth and at least Italy HAS train service. It's the US where public transportation is so shitty.

Ride on Italy's fabulous high speed "Frecciarossa" trains. The US has nothing comparable.

I've lived in Italy for years without a car. I never needed one. The country is so well served by public transportation.

by Anonymousreply 78December 25, 2019 2:04 PM

The way I heard it:

In heaven, the Italians are the lovers, the French are the cooks, the Swiss the administrators, the Germans the mechanics and the English are the police.

In hell, the Swiss are the lovers, the English the cooks, the French the administrators, the Italians the mechanics and the Germans are the police.

by Anonymousreply 79December 25, 2019 2:05 PM

R62 Correct. No men from any country or ethnic group have dicks substantially larger than others. I just happen to prefer Italian men, along with some others from certain regions. When i was talking with an older friend and mentioned I like italians, he commented i must like uncut dick, so i said most of my experience is with Italian-Americans. LOL

R55

by Anonymousreply 80December 25, 2019 2:16 PM

R79 LOL, Sounds about right!

by Anonymousreply 81December 25, 2019 2:18 PM

The smegmatic I spoke of with the cigar-shaped dick in r76 was Italian, btw (father born there). And, I now realize, pretty well hung (I never saw it hard, but it was a good five inches soft).

by Anonymousreply 82December 25, 2019 2:23 PM

The gay life is so strange. Lots of gays. All on GRINDR. But. No gay bars restaurants or areas in Rome Florence or Venice. One bathhouse on the mainland of Venice. And one dubious looking one on a side street in Florence. Sad

by Anonymousreply 83December 25, 2019 2:33 PM

R83 That's what a hot, hung young italian dude i chat with said! He said it's difficult for him to meet other gays, which is unbelievable! That's another reason i commented above that so many Italians claim they're straight, even though they're gay or bi; he said it has to do with the official religion of the country is Catholicism and it's still "conservative" there.

by Anonymousreply 84December 25, 2019 2:36 PM

R76 A temporary stint on Ignore demonstrated that you're a negative jerk with no class. Catholic school boys do not ask nuns about circumcision and they do not talk about circumcision. I saw an uncut dick long before i was 24 and i've had sex and dated men who are uncut. There's a difference between preferences and being close-minded. You need to grow up and learn manners!

R80

by Anonymousreply 85December 25, 2019 2:45 PM

True, R51, one cannot quickly or easily walk to the suburbs from the Centro Storico.

Excellent post, R64.

by Anonymousreply 86December 25, 2019 2:53 PM

You have to go to the Protestant countries for open homosexuality, gay bars etc.

by Anonymousreply 87December 25, 2019 3:01 PM

I agree, R78, the high speed trains are great, though expensive by Italian standards. It's the regionale ones that are a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 88December 25, 2019 3:15 PM

R83, totally agree. There are almost no gay scene in Rome. It is so strange.

by Anonymousreply 89December 25, 2019 3:23 PM

"Nuns," r85?

by Anonymousreply 90December 25, 2019 3:26 PM

Who needs a scene Rome is SO cruisy, no bar is needed just be a blond german and walk down the street.

by Anonymousreply 91December 25, 2019 3:28 PM

[quote] Trannies will not like it there. Distinct gender roles are strongly ingrained in the culture.

From what I've heard transsexual whores are a big thing in Italy. Trans women from South America travel to Italy to get money for their operations. Or that's how I remember from a documentary I saw years ago. Apparently Italy is the place in Europe where straight clients won't run out.

by Anonymousreply 92December 25, 2019 3:44 PM

[quote]I agree, [R78], the high speed trains are great, though expensive by Italian standards. It's the regionale ones that are a disaster.

Disaster? Exaggerate much? The Italian railway system's performance has a good rating. It's not among the very best but price/quality is very good.

"Spain and Italy have good or very good ratings for quality of service and safety, but low ratings for intensity of use (especially for freight)."

"Britain has an excellent rating for safety but its rating for intensity of use is only good, owing to a low level of freight utilisation while quality of service is poor because of high fares and the relatively low punctuality of regional trains."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 25, 2019 3:49 PM

R90 Sorry, I only mentioned nuns because R76 did. Close to my home in an upscale area, there was an order of nuns who did volunteer work to which my mother donated and where my grandfather (who i never met) died in their excellent care. Until the sex abuse scandals, the Catholic church was the world's largest charity.

I should've said a Catholic school boy did not ask any of his teachers or priests about circumcision. I had excellent sex education which was called "Family Life". We could ask questions by writing them on slips of paper and putting them anonymously in a basket for the teacher or nurse to answer. One week we had an RN come to sex ed class. However, birth control including condoms, was forbidden, even in high school. A friend who's a professor at a Catholic university told me i had a progressive Catholic education; partly because my parish's chief priest told us masturbation was acceptable (against Vatican policy) if we "didn't have lust" while doing it. I posted this in the religious customs forum, but when details of the immaculate conception were explained in religion class when i was 13, i knew i was being told lies. I left the Catholic chuch at about 15. As George Carlin said, i was Catholic until i reached the age of reason. Also want to add that recent research revealed that collectively, Protestant churches are far more wealthy than the Vatican. The single most wealthy "religious organization" in USA is the Chuch of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS), also known as Mormons. Scientoligist HQ is also wealthy; that cult is banned in Germany. Happy holiday!

R85

by Anonymousreply 94December 25, 2019 3:53 PM

All those Romans and Greeks were very gay.

Why would anyone expect anything different or make them hide it?

Fuck repression.

by Anonymousreply 95December 25, 2019 5:03 PM

R95 I believe It was acceptable for those men with certain positions or status to top boys only. And i agree with your last statement.

by Anonymousreply 96December 25, 2019 5:08 PM

[quote]totally agree. There are almost no gay scene in Rome. It is so strange.

There’s an entire gay scene inside the Vatican.

by Anonymousreply 97December 25, 2019 5:50 PM

If Italian trannies get lonely, they should look up Lapo Elkann.

by Anonymousreply 98December 25, 2019 7:35 PM

One thing that stands out about Italy and major Italian cities is that , in comparison with other world-class cities such as Tokyo, New York, and London, they really have a provincial outlook that shows in the culture. In the aforementioned cities, you will not only find native food culture for example, but also cuisines from around the world. Taking the best of other cultures and incorporating it into their own to make an even more interesting mix. When I travel to Italy, I know what I'm going to get in that there's a lot of predictability which can be good and bad. I spent a month in Italy just out of university, and after a while it just got too boring. Whereas around the same time when I stayed in Japan for a month, every day was pretty much an education and an experience, time flew by so quickly that I wanted to remain there and learn more.

by Anonymousreply 99December 25, 2019 9:42 PM

It’s shaped like a boot!

by Anonymousreply 100December 25, 2019 9:44 PM

r84, According to the article linked below, Roma has at least 6 gay bars....although the author does say that the gay bar scene is "quiet"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101December 25, 2019 11:08 PM

When I was young and sexy I knew some bars in Milan and a sauna that was OK. This was decades ago, practically the Renaissance times.

by Anonymousreply 102December 25, 2019 11:12 PM

Q: Why is Italy shaped like a boot?

A: Because so much shit can't fit in a shoe.

by Anonymousreply 103December 25, 2019 11:35 PM

If the Italians are allegedly so smart, how come they only are #12 in terms of Nobel laureates?

by Anonymousreply 104December 25, 2019 11:45 PM

The per capita ranking is interesting, anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105December 25, 2019 11:50 PM

R101 Thanks, but the young man to whom i referred does not live in Roma and does not like gay bars. Italy is a very large country. BTW, None of the men in photo are attractive. Happy holiday.

R84

by Anonymousreply 106December 25, 2019 11:53 PM

If only they could elect someone who would make the trains run on time!

by Anonymousreply 107December 26, 2019 12:00 AM

[quote]Italy is a great place to live as long as you can live on the surface and don't have to deal with the red tape, poor infrastructure, corruption and high taxes.

I’m currently based in Milan and the infrastructure isn’t lacking.

by Anonymousreply 108December 26, 2019 4:52 AM

What I notice:

Almost every man is partnered with a woman. You will rarely see a hot guy alone on the street, almost always with the “fidanzata” which in Italy is almost like a marriage, complete with anniversary. But here’s the catch. This blond British guy told me that all these men “can be had” and he does it often. How he approaches them, I don’t know.

by Anonymousreply 109December 26, 2019 4:58 AM

Italianisms that [might] drive some DLers crazy:

Being on 'Italian time.' Things happen as they happen. Some people will be tardy. Dinners and other social events can run longer and later than you imagine. If you're hosting a dinner or social event, prepare to entertain guests beyond any American time-frame you're probably used. This could be a nightmare to people who are used to timeliness and efficiency.

Businesses have odd hours, especially in small towns. Sort of like a siesta, there is a pisolino, or midday break, where businesses shutter down and it feels like time comes to a standstill. In general, if you're used to quick hustle bustle of US cities, things just feel slower there.

by Anonymousreply 110December 26, 2019 5:12 AM

I’m r109 who lives in Milan. Another thing I’ve noticed is, yes the men in Milan dress sharply and are well groomed and appear sophisticated and worldly, but they’re not, in general, as good looking or sexy as the men in Rome or further south. Many times in Rome, I fear I’ll get caught round to check out a guy on the street because it’s just so hard not to. Even the badly dressed one in the ubiquitous sweatpants I see nowadays. Romans are sexy. Then again, like almost every Italian I see, they have a wife or girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 111December 26, 2019 5:25 AM

Tells more about Swedish stereotyping than national intelligence R105.

by Anonymousreply 112December 26, 2019 5:27 AM

Oh, and everybody, I mean EVERYBODY, smokes. Obviously not literally true, but that’s the impression you get. You’ll see girls coming out of high school lighting up at the school gate.

by Anonymousreply 113December 26, 2019 5:28 AM

Birthplace of pizza and Amy Adams!

by Anonymousreply 114December 26, 2019 5:30 AM

Exactly, r112.

by Anonymousreply 115December 26, 2019 5:31 AM

Oh, it's frightful!

by Anonymousreply 116December 26, 2019 5:39 AM

R113 That's also true in the "dry" Islam countries; almost everyone smokes because there's no liquor. I guess it's part of there culture with the hookah, but i see many people smoking other things.

by Anonymousreply 117December 26, 2019 5:42 AM

Yes, Italians are HUGE smokers. Greeks as well. It's like the US in the 1960s in both countries as far as smoking is concerned.

by Anonymousreply 118December 26, 2019 6:03 AM

The important questions: Do they call it sauce or gravy? Do they rinse the pasta or not? Do they sauce the pasta in the pan?

by Anonymousreply 119December 26, 2019 6:23 AM

R119 i don't care what it's called as long as it's good. "Gravy" is a ridiculous term for pasta sauce. I guess rinsing is a matter of taste. I prefer mine hot, but also prefer it rinsed; too sticky otherwise. Sex is good sticky, not pasta.

by Anonymousreply 120December 26, 2019 6:28 AM

>>>Italy is a great place to live as long as you can live on the surface and don't have to deal with the red tape, poor infrastructure, corruption and high taxes.

Having lived in Milan as well as other parts of Italy, I agree, in Milan, the infrastructure is fine. There is little graffiti, the trash is collected, public transportation is good, and yes, the men are taller.

I will note that I paid €110 to see an English-speaking doctor. In Florence, it is half that, right in the centre. Milan is expensive!

Milan is not typical of the rest of Italy.

by Anonymousreply 121December 26, 2019 6:30 AM

^^^ R32

by Anonymousreply 122December 26, 2019 6:32 AM

Milan is more like the rest of Europe than any other place in Italy. But it also moves faster and lacks some of the Italian charm that cities further south have. I personally did not like visiting south of Rome except for Lecce which was wonderful. But Naples? Good lord. Maybe it's changed. But it scared the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 123December 26, 2019 7:24 AM

^Weird because Naples is my fave city to visit.

by Anonymousreply 124December 26, 2019 7:44 AM

Currently in Sicilia for the third (extended) time in last ten years. With each visit I’ve seen improvements. We love it here, hope it doesn’t get “discovered(beyond Taormina).” Two other trips to rest of Italy within same time frame, just not our cup of tea. Lots of good information upthread. I would just take exception to the stupid stereotypes about the South, or Sicily. My understanding is most of the out, national politicians have been from the South or Sicily. Palermo and Catania have huge Pride parades every year. I explain Sicilia to neophytes: it’s as if Hawaii and Mexico had a baby! Lol... Do your own research, be willing to push your boundaries. Buone Feste!

by Anonymousreply 125December 26, 2019 8:45 AM

I like the looks on this ginormous Italian whore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126December 26, 2019 9:50 AM

Where in Italy is Big Ang from? I want to visit that town

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127December 26, 2019 9:52 AM

R126 He has a certain appeal and has a magnificent dick, but i've had many hotter men free. He's not all that and too scrawny and unkempt.

by Anonymousreply 128December 26, 2019 11:44 AM

[quote]Being “cut” is a Jewish thing. It’s also popular in the US for some unknown reason.

The reason is not "unknown" it was sold to the prudish middle classes by religious nut jobs a century ago as a "cure" for masturbation in teenager boys. foreskin makes lubeless wanking easy, spontaneous and pleasurable

by Anonymousreply 129December 26, 2019 1:46 PM

^There's always a anti-circumcision nutjob. As Bill Maher said when he first saw a porno with an uncut dick, what an atrocity! Mother Nature makes mistakes. A urologist can explain the benefits of circumcision, as mine did. I've had sex with and dated uncut men. I don't crusade for circumcision.

by Anonymousreply 130December 26, 2019 1:59 PM

Americans who refer to Sicily and Naples as "Sicilia" and "Napoli" should just be shot.

by Anonymousreply 131December 26, 2019 2:53 PM

I'm OK with "Napoli". Also Torino.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132December 26, 2019 3:08 PM

[quote]Hardly any of the infrastructure functions properly almost to the level of a third world country and this is in Florence,

This is so ridiculous. What infrastructure are you talking about?

The web of bus service through the town is excellent and cheap. The new tram is perfect. The train station is well run and perfectly organized. Trains are new.

Roads and bridges are fine. The airport does need improvement but it gets the job done and it's easy to get to.

Internet is fast and service is cheap.

Florence probably functions better than most American cities it's size. So could you point out exactly what infrastructure is at a third world level?

by Anonymousreply 133December 26, 2019 3:22 PM

Controlling, constipated queens with untreated anxiety disorders who concern themselves with anonymous poster’s word choices should just shoot themselves.

by Anonymousreply 134December 26, 2019 3:22 PM

no manners when in line at a place where you need to order. they'll just cut in front of you without asking.

by Anonymousreply 135December 26, 2019 3:44 PM

American tourists don't realize that a good portion of the "Italians" they see are actually new arrivals from Albania and Romania.

by Anonymousreply 136December 26, 2019 3:48 PM

R79 didn't quite have it right...

Heaven in Europe is where: the English are the policemen, the French are the cooks, the Germans are the mechanics, the Italians are the lovers, and the Swiss organize everything.

Hell in Europe is where: the Germans are the policemen, the English are the cooks, the French are the mechanics, the Swiss are the lovers, and the Italians organize everything.

If you like insane people who turn everything in life into an absurd opera, you'll love Italy.

by Anonymousreply 137December 26, 2019 3:55 PM

[quote]If you like insane people who turn everything in life into an absurd opera, you'll love Italy.

Where have you seen such behavior in Italy?

by Anonymousreply 138December 26, 2019 4:17 PM

"Sicilia" and "Napoli" is so fucking pretentious coming out of an American's mouth.

by Anonymousreply 139December 26, 2019 4:22 PM

Heaven in Europe is where the English have huge cocks, the French are charming, the Germans have huge cocks, the Italians are beautiful and charming, and the Swiss are my bankers. Which is the way it can be, if you try hard enough.

by Anonymousreply 140December 26, 2019 4:22 PM

Not if you lived in Italy, you rube.

by Anonymousreply 141December 26, 2019 4:37 PM

R140 maybe for you, but English men have never turned me on. My 2nd boyfriend is of English ancestry and was good in bed, but he's ugly and is two-faced, as are most English people.

by Anonymousreply 142December 26, 2019 4:39 PM

When I was in Barcelona, I hooked up with this gorgeous 32 year old Italian. I think he was 5’8 or 5’9, but he his the best looking guy I’ve ever hooked up with. But, he was paranoid about descretion. I felt like he might have had a girlfriend or something. He was staying in Spain for a couple of months for work.

We had to book a hotel room (I was staying at a hostel and he wouldn’t risk taking me to his flat where is other coworkers stayed). He also wanted to make sure that I was masculine before meeting me. He seemed guilty before we even started fooling around. But he took my dick like a champ. It was one of my first times playing with an uncut cock (so hot).

After he came, a switch went off in his head and that Catholic guilt really took over. Such a fucked up expeince, but hot none the less. I wish he would have spent the night, but he wanted to get away from me and that hotel as soon as possible.

I’ve wanted to save a trip to Italy for a romantic trip with a boyfriend or husband, but maybe is should stop over and lay some pipe into more gorgeous closet cases.

by Anonymousreply 143December 26, 2019 5:00 PM

I can't think of any other country in Europe that comes close to Italy. With the amount of history it has. The was the place where it was cooking in Europe 2000 years ago. It wasn't in Gaul or Almania or even Viking tribes in the North.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144December 26, 2019 5:04 PM

It's Rick Steve's favorite place too. ^

by Anonymousreply 145December 26, 2019 5:04 PM

It looks like a boot!

by Anonymousreply 146December 26, 2019 5:14 PM

Don't worry DLers. Apparently marriage rates have continued to drop in Italy over the past 20 years. That means less men who want to be with you will be saddled with a wife.

It seems that women are responsible for this. They are working and no longer have time to cook and clean for a man-baby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147December 26, 2019 5:16 PM

No really. Look at a map. What do you see? A boot!

by Anonymousreply 148December 26, 2019 5:20 PM

Funny they chose a marriage photo of hot Italian DILF Carlo Cracco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149December 26, 2019 5:39 PM

R149 The man with less hair in the background is hotter than the man with more hair in the foreground.

by Anonymousreply 150December 26, 2019 5:43 PM

Do you see the boot?

by Anonymousreply 151December 26, 2019 5:46 PM

[quote]The man with less hair in the background is hotter than the man with more hair in the foreground.

In Italy there's a lot of hotness lurking around.

by Anonymousreply 152December 26, 2019 5:48 PM

[quote]"Sicilia" and "Napoli" is so fucking pretentious coming out of an American's mouth.

I love visiting Roma!

by Anonymousreply 153December 26, 2019 8:36 PM

[quote]"Sicilia" and "Napoli" is so fucking pretentious coming out of an American's mouth.

R139 probably pronounces Sicilia "suh-SILL-yuh."

by Anonymousreply 154December 26, 2019 8:46 PM

The vast majority of Italians here in Australia are total morons. The ones who are particularly intelligent have severe personality disorders and are fug.

by Anonymousreply 155December 26, 2019 8:51 PM

What is the gayest part of Italy. I want to have fun and get laid, where should I go? Also, is it possible to snag a Swiss Guard from the Vatican. They work so hard and deserve some physical appreciation.

by Anonymousreply 156December 26, 2019 8:59 PM

Did you watch The Two Popes on Netflix, r156? There's a short scene where the new pope interacts with a Swiss Guard that was kind of cute. It doesn't come until nearly the end, so if it's not your kind of story, FF it.

by Anonymousreply 157December 26, 2019 9:02 PM

[quote] is it possible to snag a Swiss Guard from the Vatican.

Gurl, puh-leeze.

by Anonymousreply 158December 26, 2019 9:03 PM

So r158 is that a no? A bitch needs to see what’s unde those Romeo and Juliet uniforms.

by Anonymousreply 159December 26, 2019 9:07 PM

Let’s just say the cute ones were not hired for their marksmanship.

by Anonymousreply 160December 26, 2019 9:10 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 26, 2019 10:00 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162December 26, 2019 10:00 PM

How you say . . . Boot? Issa boot. Capice?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163December 27, 2019 4:15 PM

And I oop...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164December 27, 2019 4:21 PM

[quote]I don't now about IQ, but i can state with certain that the overwhelming majority of Italian bi and gay men claim they're straight!

So true.

by Anonymousreply 165December 28, 2019 3:26 AM

[quote]The Italians do not work "communally". They work for the interests of themselves or their families ... But forget getting together with other residents to clean up a vacant lot, or build a beautiful public park available to all.

So maybe this competition with each other manifested in successes like the Renaissance? San Gimignano, with all its towers is a direct result of such competitiveness amongst families.

by Anonymousreply 166December 28, 2019 3:37 AM

This Italian man tells me they go for American and British women because they’re “easy”. An Italian girl would never put out on the first date. In fact, for many it takes years of dating from high school to get in their pants. Many Italian men will be with their childhood sweethearts their entire lives.

by Anonymousreply 167December 28, 2019 4:06 AM

[quote]The Italians do not work "communally". They work for the interests of themselves or their families ... But forget getting together with other residents to clean up a vacant lot, or build a beautiful public park available to all.

Bullshit.

Italy has gorgeous parks but aside from that, the Italian culture is about the public square...the piazza... moreso than parks. And the Italian piazzas are the envy of world for their beauty and function.

But beautiful parks? Italy has plenty of them and it also has a great State park system.

The Boboli Gardens of Florence. Spotlessly clean, perfectly maintained. 11 acres of elegance and history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168December 28, 2019 4:42 PM

Giusti Gardens, Verona.

Clipped to perfection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169December 28, 2019 4:53 PM

A view of the Giardini di Villa Monastero, Lake Como

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170December 28, 2019 4:58 PM

heading to venice and bologna in a week

by Anonymousreply 171December 28, 2019 5:01 PM

Those are all private gardens: it's not hard to maintain a place that charges a steep entrance fee to enter. Actual public gardens and parks in Italy hardly look like the ones in those pics above and are usually best avoided after dark (unless you go crusing for some cock or buying drugs).

by Anonymousreply 172December 28, 2019 5:07 PM

[quote]They work for the interests of themselves or their families ... But forget getting together with other residents to clean up a vacant lot, or build a beautiful public park available to all.

LOL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173December 28, 2019 5:09 PM

[quote]Those are all private gardens: it's not hard to maintain a place that charges a steep entrance fee to enter.

No. They are public. Not private. Only some do require and entrance fee but the price is cheap.

The Boboli gardens are FREE for residents of Florence. And that's a usually a policy throughout Italy.

As for: "and are usually best avoided after dark (unless you go crusing for some cock or buying drugs)."

What public parks in the US would you visit after dark?

And BTW: while incidents like the girl who was recently murdered in Central Park is not surprising in the US, it's rare for Italy.

by Anonymousreply 174December 28, 2019 5:18 PM

That was Morningside Park.

by Anonymousreply 175December 28, 2019 5:21 PM

OOPS sorry. I get my American public park murders mixed up. Central Park is where a man was murdered in August.

by Anonymousreply 176December 28, 2019 5:47 PM

With 38 million visitors per year, you’re bound to lose one or two.

by Anonymousreply 177December 28, 2019 6:16 PM

Those are public parks NOW. They were originally private gardens, designed and developed by the wealthy or the nobility, one and all. Likewise, the piazzas of most towns were ordered built by the local duke or bishop. Compare that to the famous rice terraces of China built over generations, where villagers worked communally

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178December 28, 2019 6:20 PM

Christ, there's a fucking Janbot-like stan for everything these days, including one for Italian gardens?

by Anonymousreply 179December 28, 2019 6:24 PM

[quote]Compare that to the famous rice terraces of China built over generations, where villagers worked communally

(Good Lord...)

by Anonymousreply 180December 28, 2019 6:28 PM

let's be private, I'm going public

by Anonymousreply 181December 28, 2019 6:53 PM

[quote]Those are public parks NOW. They were originally private gardens, designed and developed by the wealthy or the nobility,

Uh, yes. Like Hyde Park in London. Or Kensington Gardens. Or Hampstead Heath. Or Jardin des Tuileries in Paris.

Or like so many other famous parks in Europe?

And your point is?

by Anonymousreply 182December 28, 2019 6:56 PM

[quote]And BTW: while incidents like the girl who was recently murdered in Central Park is not surprising in the US, it's rare for Italy.

Hmmm......I wonder why?

by Anonymousreply 183December 28, 2019 7:45 PM

I wonder, do Italian parents tolerate, or not care, when their kids smoke? Like the French who get their kids drinking wine from a young age? I

by Anonymousreply 184December 28, 2019 7:55 PM

This thread has gone off the rails. SHUT IT DOWN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185December 28, 2019 7:57 PM

Ahi, che bella!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186December 28, 2019 8:10 PM

[quote]Likewise, the piazzas of most towns were ordered built by the local duke or bishop. Compare that to the famous rice terraces of China built over generations, where villagers worked communally

Italians aren't communists. We get it.

by Anonymousreply 187December 28, 2019 8:24 PM

[quote]Likewise, the piazzas of most towns were ordered built by the local duke or bishop. Compare that to the famous rice terraces of China built over generations, where villagers worked communally

It has to be one of the stupidest comments ever.

by Anonymousreply 188December 28, 2019 8:32 PM

Risotto per le dame!

by Anonymousreply 189December 29, 2019 12:04 AM

[quote]They work for the interests of themselves or their families ... But forget getting together with other residents to clean up a vacant lot, or build a beautiful public park available to all.

Forget getting together with other residents to clean up a vacant lot?

What??

Do you now anything about the "Angeli del Bello"? A completely volunteer group that cleans vacant lots, parks and removes graffiti.

Scroll around their website (Florence edition) click on the calendars to see the work they do.

Scroll down for more photos. There's even a chapter for children.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190December 29, 2019 12:22 AM

Vengo al ristorante con lui

by Anonymousreply 191December 29, 2019 1:22 AM

What is wrong with referring to an Italian town by its Italian name?

Napoli! Roma! Firenze! Milano! Genova! Venezia!

by Anonymousreply 192December 29, 2019 1:29 AM

Asti!

Palermo!

by Anonymousreply 193December 29, 2019 2:24 AM

It's pretentious AF when a non-Italian does it. Especially an American. It's like when Americans who don't speak a word of Spanish pronounce Spanish words or names with an exaggerated accent.

by Anonymousreply 194December 29, 2019 2:24 AM

Fully agreed that for a English speaker to say in conversation "When I took the Roma - Firenze train... " or more likely "There are some great pizza finds in Napoli for those in the know" sounds absurd.

by Anonymousreply 195December 29, 2019 2:50 AM

I don't like the Genoa park with dedication to a rapist native American massacring tyrant, Columbus.

He did some bad stuff. Italy doesn't even have any lands in the New World. They need to burn that park down. Ought to be ashamed for celebrating a murdering pedophile.

by Anonymousreply 196December 29, 2019 3:00 AM

[quote]Ought to be ashamed for celebrating a murdering pedophile.

Ashamed for celebrating a murdering pedophile? Gee... how do you feel about Ramadan?

by Anonymousreply 197December 29, 2019 3:14 AM

It's great song R197!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198December 29, 2019 3:21 AM

R155 The Anglo-Celtic Aussies we have in the US are fugly, moronic and look like inbred criminals. So people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

by Anonymousreply 199December 29, 2019 3:22 AM

Keith Urban at R199

by Anonymousreply 200December 29, 2019 3:36 AM

And if we speak Italian and/or Spanish we should just pretend not to, so we can make some controlling and constipated queen with an untreated anxiety disorder comfortable? Got it.

by Anonymousreply 201December 29, 2019 4:06 AM

R201

In an English-language conversation, if you're not Czech you don't say "But Praha is soooooo overcrowded now" etc.

by Anonymousreply 202December 29, 2019 4:27 AM

Oh, the Americans who regale their friends with stories about their travels to "Napoli" and "Roma."

**loading shotgun***

by Anonymousreply 203December 29, 2019 4:32 AM

R202, I don’t usually speak that way in an English language conversation. I also don’t go out of my way to say San Peeedro in Los Angeles, or San Rafelll in the Bay Area to accommodate Anglophiles in casual conversations. R203, use it on yourself, xenophobic cunt. I don’t regale anybody with any stories about any travels. I don’t mention travel unless asked. I worked hard to speak different languages, and I’m not going to pretend not to just make some Trumptard frau more comfortable. Save your caftan/turban babble for someone who actually gives a fuck, I do not. This is a thread about Italy.

by Anonymousreply 204December 29, 2019 4:52 AM

Yet we are expected to call Peking “Beijing”and Bombay “Mumbai.” Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 205December 29, 2019 5:10 AM

r204 it's not about pretending you don't speak different languages, why would anyone have a problem with that? It's when you're an American and using "Napoli" and "Roma" to try and sound sophisticated. It's pretentious and parvenu.

And I'm neither a Trump supporter or a frau. I'm a well-traveled American who just rolls my eyes at other Americans trying to be oh-so-sophisticated.

by Anonymousreply 206December 29, 2019 5:36 AM

R204, You’d have to ask them. Perhaps your next travel plans should include “Flyoverstan?” We do have at least one thing in common, as I roll my eyes at people who introduce needless foreign phrases into pedestrian conversations in an effort to show us yokels how oh-so sophisticated they are.

by Anonymousreply 207December 29, 2019 5:44 AM

But you don't speak either of those languages, R201.

by Anonymousreply 208December 29, 2019 5:52 AM

R208, Really? Lol...you have no idea what languages I speak. I’m guessing you’re the controlling and constipated queen with the untreated anxiety disorder? Find a hobby, dear. Or get on a Benzodiazepine. Smh.

by Anonymousreply 209December 29, 2019 6:10 AM

Enough already with this crap, please.

by Anonymousreply 210December 29, 2019 6:50 AM

Who knew pronouncing things in the proper way was so triggering?

To be honest though, I felt a bit triggered when those NBC broadcasting idiots kept purposefully mispronouncing Nagano during the '98 Winter Olympics. It just reeks of professional laziness.

by Anonymousreply 211December 29, 2019 6:59 AM

[quote]I felt a bit triggered when those NBC broadcasting idiots kept purposefully mispronouncing Nagano during the '98 Winter Olympics.

So, which is the correct pronunciation, NAH-guh-no' or nuh-GAH-no? And the pretending-not-to-be-pretentious?

by Anonymousreply 212December 29, 2019 7:14 AM

The Japanese accent every syllable evenly.

by Anonymousreply 213December 29, 2019 7:27 AM

I'm watching a film called "Lion of the Desert" with Anthony Quinn and Greek goddess Eirini Papas on TV right now, about the Italian occupation of Libya. Wow, I had no idea Italians were such complete dickheads: they even opened concentration camps for the local Bedouin population (and that was years before the ones in Germany).

by Anonymousreply 214December 29, 2019 1:52 PM

[quote]Catholic school boys do not ask nuns about circumcision

Of course they don't. That was (at least part of) my point, that there was no one with whom to discuss either circumcision or uncircumcision.

by Anonymousreply 215December 29, 2019 2:07 PM

[quote] It's like when Americans who don't speak a word of Spanish pronounce Spanish words or names with an exaggerated accent.

you sound like a vicious cunt

by Anonymousreply 216December 29, 2019 2:42 PM

Don't you mean "un coño vicioso," r216?

by Anonymousreply 217December 29, 2019 2:54 PM

actually I mean a cunting Cunny cunt

by Anonymousreply 218December 29, 2019 2:56 PM

r216 it sounds absolutely ridiculous when you hear Bob and Sally Whitebread drop a Spanish word with an exaggerated flair of an accent in normal conversation. Pretentious and cringe-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 219December 29, 2019 3:43 PM

Me encanta hablar español perfecto, como tantos otros con talento y clase.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220December 29, 2019 3:52 PM

E amavo parlare italiano fino a mia moglie puttana ha fregato il suo ex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221December 29, 2019 3:58 PM

R219 I agree. You hear this done all the time on CNN and MSNBC...cringe worthy.

I'm Italian and speak Italian fluently but I'd never say "Firenze" or "Napoli" or whatever in a conversation in English.

I DO however pronounce Italian food names in their proper Italian pronunciation. I just can'y bring myself to do otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 222December 29, 2019 4:01 PM

some of you worry way too much about what other people do. why don't you clean up your own behavior?

by Anonymousreply 223December 29, 2019 8:00 PM

Comedian Victoria Wood had a skit about 'bilingual Brits living in Spain: '¡Un poco de Red Leicester por favor, Carmencita!'

by Anonymousreply 224December 29, 2019 8:08 PM

Back to discussing Italians. Is it true that most date all the way through high school without losing their virginity because they're "waiting"? And when do bisexual hookups typically start?

by Anonymousreply 225December 29, 2019 8:20 PM

[quote]Back to discussing Italians. Is it true that most date all the way through high school without losing their virginity because they're "waiting"?

R225 Is posting from 1942

by Anonymousreply 226December 29, 2019 8:21 PM

We all remember our late 30s fondly, R226.

by Anonymousreply 227December 29, 2019 8:24 PM

Never felt so physically inferior as when visiting Siena as a student in the 90s. It was early evening, dusk, and people were turning out for promenading, strolling in the city center. It was alarming. I felt an urge to hide myself away and sat down near a fountain where I could ogle discreetly. Granted, a lot of it is about dress and I was looking shabby, being into my 3rd week of rail travel and hostel hopping. The men, of course, held me in rapture. I do not remember them being short or stocky. In Florence, young men would whistle after you or follow you a bit. I found it odd, aggressive. Later I found out this was a come-on: "Hey, look at me, friend." If I had only known. All those beautiful young men with their arms draped over each other, laughing and teasing. My brain was short circuiting. Attractive young men being affectionate with each other in public. Never saw such a thing in the US.

by Anonymousreply 228December 29, 2019 8:56 PM

Oodles of Fascist Foreskins.

by Anonymousreply 229December 29, 2019 9:08 PM

R226. No teens in the world have as much sex, with as many partners as American teens. And according to Italian men, Italian women are extremely high maintenance and hard to get.

by Anonymousreply 230December 29, 2019 9:11 PM

R229, bologna is commie

by Anonymousreply 231December 30, 2019 1:19 AM

[quote] If the Italians are allegedly so smart, how come they only are #12 in terms of Nobel laureates?

Honey, Henry Kissinger has a Nobel... and Obama. They’re a joke.

by Anonymousreply 232December 30, 2019 1:51 AM

they love the nightlife

by Anonymousreply 233December 30, 2019 1:52 AM

[quote] The vast majority of Italians here in Australia are total morons... and are fug.

Brandon Martignago is fug??!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234December 30, 2019 1:57 AM

Currently on a train from Florence to Lucca. Every time I think I’m having a moment with the guy across the aisle he pulls out his phone and talks to his wife, girlfriend or kids. It’s happened to me so many times that I just can with this country sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 235December 30, 2019 9:33 AM

They’re extreme racist towards black people. Unlike other cultures they don’t even pretend to be polite.

by Anonymousreply 236December 30, 2019 11:12 AM

^ I’m the guy who lives in Milan,btw

by Anonymousreply 237December 30, 2019 11:19 AM

[Quote]They’re extreme racist towards black people.

Which non-black country isn't?

by Anonymousreply 238December 30, 2019 11:40 AM

R231 Southern Italian women are especially crazy. High maintenance,crazy and the like make Italian men go after foreign women and more often than not domestic and foreign cock!

by Anonymousreply 239December 30, 2019 12:32 PM

northern women are tall and quiet

by Anonymousreply 240December 30, 2019 12:39 PM

[quote] Ought to be ashamed for celebrating a murdering pedophile.

He was not a rapist, you dolt. That’s SJW revisionist history like a tranny being responsible for Stonewall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241December 30, 2019 4:37 PM

[quote]Ought to be ashamed for celebrating a murdering pedophile.

He was not a pedophile, you dolt. That’s SJW revisionist history like a tranny being responsible for Stonewall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242December 30, 2019 4:38 PM

Italian women turn into Italian mothers - so yeah, they are high maintenance.

by Anonymousreply 243December 30, 2019 5:36 PM

To be the son of an Italian mother is heaven. To be the wife of an Italian son is hell.

by Anonymousreply 244December 30, 2019 5:47 PM

Sorry. R237 = r235

by Anonymousreply 245December 30, 2019 7:44 PM

Heading to venice for the first time at the end of the week,

by Anonymousreply 246December 31, 2019 12:21 AM

R244 = American who knows nothing about Italy.

by Anonymousreply 247December 31, 2019 12:29 AM

Not American and live in Italy.

R247= arrogant asshole.

by Anonymousreply 248December 31, 2019 5:47 AM

suck ass cunts

by Anonymousreply 249December 31, 2019 11:22 AM

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but I love Italy and one of my new year resolutions is to learn Italian by reading Elena Ferrante (I want my textbook to be interesting, so that I can keep reading). Then I saw this article saying that her Italian isn't very good: "the poor lexical choices, the odd constructions, the inconsistent tone...", as the author said. Will some Italian speakers weigh in on this? Is Ferrante's language suitable for an Italian learner like me? Or should I just look for some other, better reading materials? Any recommendations?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250December 31, 2019 12:18 PM

[quote] Southern Italian women are especially crazy.

And they're ugly too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251December 31, 2019 12:25 PM

R250, I’m not sure I’d start with Ferrante if I were learning Italian, but not for the reasons the “critic” gave (it sounds like a critique of the overall novel, and not specifically about the Italian she uses, which is of the contemporary, rather stiltedly literary sort)—the Italian of her novels would be beyond the grasp of any beginner (or even intermediate) student of Italian. Start with Rosari, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 252December 31, 2019 12:45 PM

Sorry, that should be Rodari.

by Anonymousreply 253December 31, 2019 12:47 PM

Be sure to report back, r246. I decided to skip Venice this month after I read about all the damage the acqua alta had done. I want to see it at its most beautiful so I hope they would have cleaned it up by then. Went to Florence instead, but for the tourist crowds, it's stunning.

by Anonymousreply 254December 31, 2019 6:47 PM

Italian sounds so pleasing to the ears. I like it better than French.

French is incomprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 255December 31, 2019 7:37 PM

Portuguese is lovely

by Anonymousreply 256December 31, 2019 8:02 PM

French sounds great but is less easier to undertand than Italian. Italian is pretty much pronounced as it is written, French is not. Also Italians are much more kind to foreigners speaking their language. French can be complete cunts when foreigners try to speak their language.

by Anonymousreply 257December 31, 2019 8:08 PM

I've heard that if you are a native English speaker, Italian is not very difficult to learn. It's the easiest of the Latin languages.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but it's what I've been told by several people.

by Anonymousreply 258December 31, 2019 8:27 PM

I'm a native English speaker (American). I've taken classes in both Spanish & French (languages). Spanish is way easier. I'm assuming Italian is closer to Spanish than it is to French. Therefore, I'd say Italian is easier than French.

by Anonymousreply 259December 31, 2019 11:24 PM

Italians are thrilled if you try to speak their language. They'll help you along and coax you no matter how badly you are mangling it.

by Anonymousreply 260January 1, 2020 12:54 AM

R254, will do

by Anonymousreply 261January 1, 2020 12:55 AM

You can get a hold on the language quickly but it takes a long, long time to speak it well enough to be considered part of the gang.

There is the local dialect to learn and even in areas without dialect, there are words and phrases to learn that you won't learn in a classroom.

To be able to sit down and have a deep conversation, to get jokes, sarcasm , irony, to be able to "read between the lines"... it takes years of living there.

by Anonymousreply 262January 1, 2020 1:42 AM

I’ve taken French, Spanish, and Italian. For me, Spanish was the easiest, and Italian the most difficult.

by Anonymousreply 263January 1, 2020 1:57 AM

We need some photos of Italian cock!!

by Anonymousreply 264January 1, 2020 2:02 AM

Italians love to do it

by Anonymousreply 265January 1, 2020 3:18 PM

Yes, Italian is easiest of the Latin languages. Then come Spanish and French with Portuguese being the hardest to pronounce, but then the most pleasing to the ear, for me (love those zhao-zheus sounds).

The Spanish are the most liberal and gay friendly of these. The French can be surprisingly provincial and macho outside of Paris. Someone mentioned upthread that it is very hard to find an openly gay Italian because most are likely to have a girlfriend. I don’t think this is an exaggeration.

Finally, imho, Italy is unlikely to get gay marriage this coming decade. Attitudes are shifting further and further right, with the young being an important base for this shift.

by Anonymousreply 266January 1, 2020 5:48 PM

This story illustrates how hard it is for Italian celebrities to identify as gay/bi. I know two supposedly gay entertainers, singers Tiziano Ferro and Mahmood, yet it’s not really discussed, even by them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267January 1, 2020 5:53 PM

[quote]I know two supposedly gay entertainers, singers Tiziano Ferro and Mahmood, yet it’s not really discussed, even by them.

This is so ridiculous. Two of Italy's biggest pop stars Tiziano Ferro and Gianna Nannini are both very out.

[quote]yet it’s not really discussed, even by them.

Not discussed by them? You don't know what you're talking about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268January 1, 2020 9:00 PM

[quote] Two of Italy's biggest pop stars Tiziano Ferro and Gianna Nannini are both very out.

No, r268, one of these (TF) is very out; the other (GN) keeps coyly saying she doesn’t like labels and refuses to use the word “lesbica”.

by Anonymousreply 269January 2, 2020 10:40 AM

I tried to shake the Pope’s hand, but he beat me silly!

by Anonymousreply 270January 2, 2020 1:04 PM

R266 I disagree. Spanish is the easiest especially for Americans who come into contact with that language more than any other foreign language. Italians are extremely tolerant of speaking their language(there are so many dialects) so trying to speak Italian to a native is the easiest. Portuguese? Continental Portuguese sounds like a Slavic language and doesn't sound that nice. Brazilian Portuguese sounds much better. French is the hardest BECAUSE the French are so exacting and cunty about their language. If you are slightly off in your language rhythm they can get annoyed! Though the younger generation is getting better though.

Italians are not as anti-gay as you claim. I had friends from The South(Naples and Bari) that thought it was OK that Gianna Nannini and Lucio Dalla were gay. That was in the 90s! Sicily and Apulia have had openly gay governors(Crocetta and Vendola) and that in the Italian Deep South.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271January 2, 2020 1:19 PM

That fucking Canadian paul needs to get in his knees and suck my italian cock right now

by Anonymousreply 272January 2, 2020 1:39 PM

[quote]This story illustrates how hard it is for Italian celebrities to identify as gay/bi.

The article doesn't even mention Italy.

by Anonymousreply 273January 2, 2020 4:01 PM

[quote]the other (GN) keeps coyly saying she doesn’t like labels and refuses to use the word “lesbica”.

So What?

Nannini speaks openly of her civil union with a woman and their daughter. What more do you want?

And she says (In Vanity Fair):

""A me le divisioni, a partire da quelle di genere, non mi hanno mai interessato granché. Ho sempre amato uomini e donne e soprattutto non ho mai avuto freni nel sentire e seguire quello che volevo. Le ho sempre rifiutate, le definizioni. "

"Ho sempre amato uomini e donne". Sounds perfectly clear. Reasonable and not evasive nor coy.

by Anonymousreply 274January 2, 2020 4:16 PM

So how were Nianini and her partner allowed to adopt?

by Anonymousreply 275January 2, 2020 6:54 PM

R275 Why are you changing the subject? The comment was: "the other (GN) keeps coyly saying she doesn’t like labels and refuses to use the word “lesbica”."

No, not true: she's open about her homosexuality. But even if she wasn't ...plenty of celebrities keep the public guessing.

by Anonymousreply 276January 2, 2020 7:02 PM

Mahmood has never discussed his homosexuality. Roberto Bolle does not. Italy’s last World Cup winning captain publicly said there would be no place for a gay man in his team. Other players, like Antonio Cassano, echoed the same. Openly homophobic Matteo Salvini is the most popular politician in the country. Gay marriage is still a long way off. Finally, I get cruised May times by men with a girl on their arm.

by Anonymousreply 277January 2, 2020 7:30 PM

[quote]Mahmood has never discussed his homosexuality. Roberto Bolle does not.

So? They've chosen not to discuss their homosexuality. And what's your point exactly?

At the same time other (much more) popular Italian celebrities discuss theirs: Eva Grimaldi, Pierluigi Diaco, Alessandro Cecchi Paone, Guglielmo Scilla, Rosalinda Celentano, Cristian Imparato, Leo Gullotta, Costantino Della Gherardesca, Marco Carta, Naike Rivelli, Nichi Vendola . Valerio Pino, Alfonso Signorini , Aldo Busi, Francesca Vecchioni, Alfonso Pecoraro Scanio, Ivan Cattaneo....etc...etc....

by Anonymousreply 278January 2, 2020 8:49 PM

Is Mahmood a top or a bottom?

by Anonymousreply 279January 2, 2020 9:48 PM

Still not seeing any Italian cock in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 280January 2, 2020 11:49 PM

^^^Because the only gay Italian porn site Lucas Kazan was forced to feature talent from other countries like Spain and Brazil after getting virtually no Italian takers. The Italians were ok with appearing nude and jerking off for the camera, but almost none would take the extra step to actually have gay sex. So the talent dried up.

by Anonymousreply 281January 3, 2020 3:40 AM

When Fabio Cannavaro said that gays were not welcome in soccer, he got a lot of support.

by Anonymousreply 282January 3, 2020 3:42 AM

Italian cock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283January 3, 2020 3:47 AM

Meat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284January 3, 2020 3:48 AM

Boom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285January 3, 2020 3:48 AM

It's shaped like a boot.

by Anonymousreply 286January 3, 2020 3:49 AM

It's shaped like a boot.

by Anonymousreply 287January 3, 2020 3:49 AM

Italian DILF.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288January 3, 2020 3:49 AM

Italian American isn’t Italian.

by Anonymousreply 289January 3, 2020 3:53 AM

R282 Why are you mentioning a comment by convicted criminal Fabio Cannavaro said over 10 years ago? The guy doesn't even work in Italy anymore.

But anyway, his comment is nothing strange. Do you know anything about football in Europe?:

"Homophobia has been widespread in association football, also known as soccer, throughout the world. Journalist Matt Williams stated that being a gay professional player in football is still a taboo, which journalist Simon Barnes has said will never change.In February 2013, football magazine When Saturday Comes described homosexuality as a "continuing taboo" in the sport. John Amaechi, the first NBA player to come out, has blamed football's "toxic" culture for the lack of openly gay players, while Clarke Carlisle has called for more education to be given to players to combat homophobia."

So again: what's your point?

by Anonymousreply 290January 3, 2020 5:17 AM

Is Fabio Cannavaro not Italian? Wasn’t he captain of the National team when he made those comments?

by Anonymousreply 291January 4, 2020 5:36 AM

Anyway, looking at the rest of the world, we know most gay celebrities are actually closeted and leading public straight charades. But I can’t find any gay gossip about Italian celebrities anywhere. I wonder if it’s taboo and just not discussed. If you take the UK for example, I can list you a number of premier league soccer players rumored to be gay/bi. Not a single case in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 292January 4, 2020 5:44 AM

Please post Cannavaro's exact quote that " there would be no place for a gay man in his team."

And as for Cassano, why do you fail to mention this?:

Cassano later issued an apology through the Italian state news agency ANSA. "I am sincerely sorry that my comments have caused controversy and protests among gay groups. Homophobia is not a point of view that I share. I didn't want to offend anyone and I absolutely don't want to put a person's sexual freedom under discussion.

"I only said that it was a problem which was nothing to do with me and I don't let myself express judgments on other people's choices, which should all be respected."

Furthermore: why is there not one out player in the NFL?

by Anonymousreply 293January 4, 2020 5:59 AM

[quote]But I can’t find any gay gossip about Italian celebrities anywhere

LOL. Then you don't look very hard.

by Anonymousreply 294January 4, 2020 6:01 AM

R293 I believe you are of above average intelligence. Which of Cassano’s two statements do you think are a reflection of his true feelings? The first unguarded one or the second one issued after a controversy and likely crafted by a committee of high powered PR executives and lawyers provided by his club and only bearing his signature? Come on, don’t disappoint me.

by Anonymousreply 295January 4, 2020 6:35 AM

Cannavaro made that comment about gay players not being welcome the same time he gave his views on gay marriage. And that’s what got most of the coverage and the only thing I could find surviving in English. But he said it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296January 4, 2020 6:42 AM

If course Cassano meant exactly what he said the first time. But what’s important is that he apologized. I think he’s a bigot, just as Trudeau is a racist with his blackface. The problem is when public figures say the worst things and don’t apologize: see Trump.

As for Cannavaro: I speak Italian fluently and there is no record of what you’re claiming he said. Again you’re posting bullshit. His comments were about Gay marriage. So what?

But I do believe an out gay player in the Italian National League would be a disaster. Just as it would in the NFL.

by Anonymousreply 297January 4, 2020 3:31 PM

*Of course

by Anonymousreply 298January 4, 2020 3:33 PM

The NFL has had quite a few players who’ve come out after they stopped playing. Wild guess is we’re going to see an out active player on the NFL at least decades before the serie A. Look, we’re talking about one of the only countries in Western Europe without gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 299January 5, 2020 4:02 AM

[quote]The NFL has had quite a few players who’ve come out after they stopped playing.

Only after they've left. Let me repeat: there are no out gay players in the NFL.

The same all over Europe. There are no gay players in the major leagues. Pointing fingers at Italy simply shows your stupidity .

"The gay rights group Stonewall published a report in August 2009 which described English football as "institutionally homophobic."

"Malcolm George Mackay Scottish professional football manager, who is currently the performance director of the Scottish Football Association was accused of sending racist, sexist and homophobic text messages."

"In January 2019 Sol Campbell (who is married with three children) spoke out about homophobic abuse he had recently received. He had also been the victim of similar abuse in 2014."

"In December 2019 Brighton players were subjected to homophobic abuse by Wolves fans; two people were arrested.Later that month "hundreds of West Ham fans" were accused of homophobic chanting against Chelsea."

"In August 2019, a Ligue 2 match between Nancy and Le Mans was halted following homophobic chants from the stands against the league. Later that month a game between Nice and Marseille was halted due to homophobic chanting."

"Germany: In March 2010, former manager Rudi Assauer said that "If a player came to me and said he was gay I would say to him: 'You have shown courage'. But then I would tell him to find something else to do. That's because those who out themselves always end up busted by it, ridiculed by their fellow players and by people in the stands. We should spare them these witch hunts."

"A popular football chant in Spanish stadiums is "maricón", which translates as "faggot."

Etc and etc.

by Anonymousreply 300January 5, 2020 4:33 AM

I love me some Italian men

by Anonymousreply 301January 5, 2020 5:43 AM

I just had an Italian dick so large it nearly broke my jaw.

by Anonymousreply 302January 5, 2020 9:04 PM

I just saw an article about another semi abandoned southern Italian town that's offering houses at 1 euro.

Im so fucking tempted but I guess this is only for European Union citizens.

by Anonymousreply 303January 5, 2020 9:39 PM

There are abandoned Italian houses and villages everywhere. I don't know why they are so anti-immigration. And speaking about that, there are significantly fewer Africans/black men trying to sell you stuff in tourist areas than there were five years ago when I first visited Italy. Might be hard for an Italian to notice but it's clear for someone like me who went away then returned. Black faces have become rarer and I don't know if that's a good thing. Where did they go? France? I was in a Tuscan town where I cheerful old guy told me the Senegalese are respectful, they try to sell you something and if you don't want it they go away, said the Chinese and Indians are hard workers but the real problem is maghrebians (North African Arabs) and Latinos. Said the Arabs sell drugs, are extremely violent, walk around with knives in their pockets and are fuelling the drug problem amongst youth in the town. Also, called the latinos, especially Cuban women, violent and greedy. Many come as caregivers to old folks and end up mistreating them.

by Anonymousreply 304January 7, 2020 1:05 PM

I'll tell you something I've noticed that's almost unique to Italy. A lot of domestic drama spills on to the street. I've seen a man try to drag a woman (ex-wife) who apparently didn't want him by the hair and people just standing by and watching. When she got free, he hurled her cellphone at her, cursed at her and walked off. Just yesterday, the waitress that was serving me, started talking to this guy who's apparently her ex quietly telling him to get help for either drinking or drugs, he left and screamed "asshole" (cogliona) at her and told her to go fuck herself in front of the whole cafe. Just this morning, some woman was screaming at her man on the train and everybody was ignoring them. This isn't normal to me, but Italians seem used to people airing their dirty laundry in public.

by Anonymousreply 305January 7, 2020 1:12 PM

It’s very hard to make friends. People often stick to life-long groups some having known each other from kindergarten but mainly just school. Hard to penetrate these circles especially as foreigner.

by Anonymousreply 306January 9, 2020 6:31 AM

[quote]Spain seems like the most modern of the Southern European countries (based on infrastructure).

It is and most parts of Italy look like a ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 307January 9, 2020 6:46 AM

That is so not true. Most of the country is gorgeous. Ghettos? Have you ever been to France or the UK?

by Anonymousreply 308January 9, 2020 12:39 PM

I see too many (majority?)Italians smoking, so many gambling and just today, two guys tried to sell me their phone obviously to get money for drugs. But what I've never seen, is Italians drunk and disorderly on the streets, like you see in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 309January 9, 2020 8:47 PM

[quote]and just today, two guys tried to sell me their phone obviously to get money for drugs.

Most likely Albanians. Perhaps Romanians.

by Anonymousreply 310January 9, 2020 8:51 PM

R307 Bullshit. I'd rather live in most parts of Italy than any part of Spain. BTW I'm a big fan of Catalunya and Barcelona and I'm saying that . Spanish assholes are clean but Italian ones can be eaten off of!

by Anonymousreply 311January 9, 2020 9:30 PM

La bella italia!

by Anonymousreply 312January 9, 2020 9:45 PM

I thought Italian and Persian men were in some sort of a competition to see who can be the biggest mama's boys?

by Anonymousreply 313January 9, 2020 9:50 PM

r313, you've forgotten Jewish men.

by Anonymousreply 314January 10, 2020 1:51 AM

R311 Apparently, you stuck close to the tourist spots in Italy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315January 10, 2020 6:01 AM

Well, yes if you search hard enough. But Nothing, nothing to compare with France or the UK.

And certainly nothing to compare with the tragedy that is the USA...king of urban blight.

by Anonymousreply 316January 10, 2020 6:19 AM

R315 Crime in Rome? LOL.

Murders 2019

Rome - 10

London - 132

NYC - 299

Chicago - 530

by Anonymousreply 317January 10, 2020 6:31 AM

R317

First, every city that you listed w/the exception of Chicago has a lot more people, so there should be more crime. Next, the influx of guns is more prevalent in some communities in Chicago than in Rome.

by Anonymousreply 318January 10, 2020 6:45 AM

The metro are of Rome is 4,250,000 people on par with Los Angeles.

Murders LA 2019: 242

The city proper of Rome has a population of about 2,873,00 on par with Chicago, bigger than Houston, bigger than Philadelphia.

Murders Chicago 2019: 530

Murders Houston 2018: 279

Murders Philadelphia 2019: 351

Murders Rome? 10

by Anonymousreply 319January 10, 2020 7:14 AM

Between August 2018 and July 2019, 307 murders were committed in Italy.

Last year 318 murders were committed in Baltimore.

Population Italy: 60,480,000

Population Baltimore: 602,495

by Anonymousreply 320January 10, 2020 7:29 AM

Sadly their average IQ is declining. It’s not PC to note that, however.

by Anonymousreply 321January 10, 2020 7:34 AM

Italian gay porn anyone?

by Anonymousreply 322January 10, 2020 7:34 AM

[quote]The metro are of Rome is 4,250,000 people on par with Los Angeles.

[quote] Murders LA 2019: 242

There are many variables to consider. One major thing you're overlooking is the availability of guns in the US vs Italy or in this case, Rome.

LA has 376K registered guns but who knows how many illegal guns are out there.

Italy doesn't have accurate records of how many guns they have.

Plus. . .

Within the G8, Italy has the highest number of gun homicides after the United States.

Although, their homicide numbers are low, it's still high considering, that -- on record -- they don't have the availability of guns as the US. Plus, they have three times more cops than the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323January 10, 2020 7:39 AM

That is a great article, R315. Something I had never read about. But the author's blog filled me with disgust because he is a typical American expat, whose Italian experience mainly consists of food and beverage consumption.

He thinks Old Bridge is the best gelateria in Rome!!!! Yes, we all know they have the biggest portions.

by Anonymousreply 324January 10, 2020 8:28 AM

[quote]There are many variables to consider.

Oh please. Bottom line: for ghetto filled shit holes of urban decay and uncivility... no one tops the US.

Intentional homicide victims per 100,000 inhabitants.

USA: 5.30

Germany: 1.00

Sweden: 1.10

UK: 1.20

France: 1.30

Italy: 0.67

by Anonymousreply 325January 10, 2020 1:16 PM

Bologna - strangled priests!

by Anonymousreply 326January 10, 2020 2:54 PM

You guys, if you want to point fingers at crime in Italy, focus on their pickpocketing and petty theft rates which are truly astronomical. But murders? Italy has probably one the lowest rates for a country of its size in the world. It’s very safe. Only place I’ve been that’s safer is Japan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327January 10, 2020 7:39 PM

[quote]Most likely Albanians. Perhaps Romanians.

You’re probably right, r310. They had a different look and vibe to them. Even how they were dressed.

by Anonymousreply 328January 10, 2020 7:41 PM

[quote]You guys, if you want to point fingers at crime in Italy, focus on their pickpocketing and petty theft rates which are truly astronomical. But murders? Italy has probably one the lowest rates for a country of its size in the world. It’s very safe. Only place I’ve been that’s safer is Japan.

Yeah, maybe, we are using the wrong word: murder. Since, in Italy, people just come up missing -- a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329January 11, 2020 6:08 AM

R329 Oh please. Do you know how to read statistics? The number is over a 7 year period. "reported to police" ...but what are the statistics on who returned or was found. How many cases have been resolved. How many are still open. And how do these numbers compare to other counties in the EU. Compare to the UK:

"In the United Kingdom, The Huffington Post reported in 2012, over 140,000 children go missing each year, as calculated by the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) of the United Kingdom's National Crime Agency." And that's just children.

BTW: 600,000 people go missing in the US ......each year.

by Anonymousreply 330January 11, 2020 1:05 PM

R328 Northern Italians say that about Southern Italians! The organized crime element comes from Calabria, Sicily and Campania. The Ndrangheta from Calabria has spread to The North. So it is not only non native Italians causing problems.There have been ethnic Albanians in Italy for hundreds of years. Mostly since the Ottoman Turkish conquest of Albania. Many Christians fled and moved to Apulia.

by Anonymousreply 331January 11, 2020 3:55 PM

Also, the rate for domestic violence is very high. One in three women is a victim.

by Anonymousreply 332January 11, 2020 4:32 PM

A lot of Italian men on webcams still sleep in their childhood bed with cartoon sheets...at 35.

by Anonymousreply 333January 11, 2020 5:05 PM

[quote]Also, the rate for domestic violence is very high.

Wrong again.

Italy ranks lower than most EU countries.

Also:

"Spain, Finland, and France all lack legal recognition that sex without consent is rape. Requiring rape survivors to prove they were subjected to violence or threat, or that they resisted their attacker, is contrary to international human rights standards," Patsalides told Euronews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334January 11, 2020 8:19 PM

I love seeing the anti-Italy troll getting her ass handed to her over and over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 335January 11, 2020 11:28 PM

The problem is many Americans romanticise Italy instead of seeing it as a great and beautiful country with good and bad aspects like any other. I laugh walking through Piazza Navona, seeing Americans eating overpriced pizza while smiling and taking selfies (who does that with their food?) so that they can go home to tell their friends and family that they ate pizza in Italy. Then there's the other extreme of Americans who seek out McDonald's, again, in Italy!

by Anonymousreply 336January 12, 2020 8:57 AM

Vaffanculo, stronzo R424!

Per te..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337January 12, 2020 5:09 PM

Bella Italia

by Anonymousreply 338January 13, 2020 3:23 AM

Prove it's worse than other countries, r337.

by Anonymousreply 339January 13, 2020 9:55 AM

he's got na hairier ass

by Anonymousreply 340January 13, 2020 2:27 PM

But Italy is now officially a right-wing country (even though their leader is so dumb he played himself out of power). In that aspect, Italy is more like the Southern US and flyover red neck country than New York and California.

by Anonymousreply 341January 13, 2020 4:21 PM

Salvini might get an opening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342January 13, 2020 4:39 PM

[quote]But Italy is now officially a right-wing country (even though their leader is so dumb he played himself out of power). In that aspect, Italy is more like the Southern US and flyover red neck country than New York and California.

The right in Italy and actually in all of Europe is more like the Dems in the US than like the GOP.

There is absolutely NO similarity to the Southern US and flyover red neck country.

Most of Salvini's voters are ex members of the Left, the Communists, the working class, union members, people who up until 5 years ago voted for the PD.

by Anonymousreply 343January 13, 2020 5:18 PM

[quote]But Italy is now officially a right-wing country

Italy compared to the rest of Europe:

The BBC November 2019:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344January 13, 2020 5:23 PM

Link stinks

by Anonymousreply 345January 13, 2020 6:10 PM

Yes, the link at r344 proves Italy is one of the most right wing countries in Europe only behind the likes of Hungary.

[quote]The right in Italy and actually in all of Europe is more like the Dems in the US than like the GOP.

No, just no. The Dems are the antithesis of what Salvini does/did: Anti-immigrant, openly racist, denying humanitarian aid to migrants, turning back rescue ships, rounding up gypsies for internment and deportation, allying himself to Trump and LePen, modelling his party on the old fascists, invoking religion for his own political gain ... which dems are you talking about? The right-wing in Italy has lurched far right and are only like the U.S. Democrats if you believe Nancy Pelosi is a witch who swoops by on a broom.

by Anonymousreply 346January 13, 2020 6:54 PM

[quote]Yes, the link at [R344] proves Italy is one of the most right wing countries in Europe only behind the likes of Hungary. . You have a hard time reading?. Take a look at the chart.

Furthermore the Lega's stance on immigration is in line with most Euro countries today. You might want to check out liberal Denmark.... Italy is nowhere as severe.

The right in Italy in no way can be compared to the GOP. Free health care, workers rights, flat tax etc....nothing like the GOP. Yes, they're tough on immigration. But so are other European countries. The UKs solution? Leave the EU entirely.

by Anonymousreply 347January 13, 2020 7:40 PM

[quote]Yes, the link at [[R344]] proves Italy is one of the most right wing countries in Europe only behind the likes of Hungary.

Oh really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348January 13, 2020 7:49 PM

scary and dark

by Anonymousreply 349January 14, 2020 3:04 AM

Did r348 look at the chart he posted? Also, UK leaving was largely in part due immigration from the EU. There is a lot of anti-Polish sentiments in the UK. The brexiteers actually claimed Brexit would allow them to increase legal skilled immigration from places like India and Africa.

I love Italy, but it’s clearly more racist than other Western European countries. Monkey chants against black footballers could never happen in the UK; calling a black (token) minister a monkey would end a politician’s career in France. No! The Italian far-right and their hateful rhetoric are not like the American democrats. That’s just a ridiculous and slanderous to democrats.

by Anonymousreply 350January 14, 2020 3:38 AM

[quote]Monkey chants against black footballers could never happen in the UK....

Oh no....never....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351January 14, 2020 4:08 AM

[quote]Did [R348] look at the chart he posted?

The chart clearly shows that the comment " Italy is one of the most right wing countries in Europe only behind the likes of Hungary" is false.

Furthermore: Americans and Brits who have voted in the likes of Donald Trump and Boris Johnson might want to think twice about pointing fingers.

by Anonymousreply 352January 14, 2020 4:13 AM

What are you trying to prove, 351? That the U.K. is just as racist as Italy? Or that monkey-chants at soccer games are the norm? Because you’re wrong on both counts. Do you think life for a black or Asian person in both countries is the same?

by Anonymousreply 353January 14, 2020 4:17 AM

[quote]Monkey chants against black footballers could never happen in the UK....

Oh no...never

"From parks to Premier League: the shocking scale of racism in English football"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354January 14, 2020 4:18 AM

I went to Rome as a tourist and loved it. I went to the Coliseum twice, I loved it so much. I figured I walked 20 miles a day.

The city has at least four fabulous features, most cities have only one, maybe two.

1. Ancient Roman ruins

2. Renaissance, art

3. Roman Catholic Church, allegedly to the year 1. See the chains that held St. Peter, etc.

4. Current Roman culture

I don’t want to quarrel with R32, but Rome manages to keep its public water fountains running.

I hope I go back soon!

by Anonymousreply 355January 14, 2020 4:20 AM

Finland is the most racist country in the EU in terms of racial harassment, but Italy doesn’t look that much better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356January 14, 2020 4:21 AM

[quote]calling a black (token) minister a monkey would end a politician’s career in France.

In Britian they make you Prime Minister!

"Boris Johnson called gay men 'tank-topped bumboys' and black people 'piccaninnies' with 'watermelon smiles'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357January 14, 2020 4:23 AM

They got charged, r351. That type of behaviour isn’t tolerated by authorities unlike places like Italy.

by Anonymousreply 358January 14, 2020 4:26 AM

Meanwhile Trump's latest tweet is THIS:

The PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES does racist shit!!! LOL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359January 14, 2020 4:26 AM

Oh, the only Gay bar we found was named the hanger, like for airplanes. It had a confederate flag hanging and was run by a guy from Alabama. We passed a group of ~25 gypsies on the way there, but they left us alone. My bf and I were at the height of our power, ~age 32 and gym rats, so maybe that mattered.

The coffee turned our teeth black. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 360January 14, 2020 4:28 AM

Whatever you say r359, everyday black people live normal and infinitely better lives in the U.S. and U.K. than they can ever hope for in Italy. That’s can’t be disputed.

by Anonymousreply 361January 14, 2020 4:31 AM

That's relig-ist not racist. Anyone can be Muslim, it's not contingent upon your race to wear those garments.

I mean he does do racist stuff too but that particular instance with Nancy is against religion not race. Like AOC, I too, don't know why he's still president. Perhaps it will be grounds for her to really do something about it?

by Anonymousreply 362January 14, 2020 4:33 AM

R362 Are you that incredibly stupid. Of course Islam is a religion... but it's a religion associated mostly with brown and Black people in the US. That was clearly a racist post...by a PRESIDENT.

by Anonymousreply 363January 14, 2020 4:38 AM

My Grammy‘s parents were from Naples and she or someone “warned” us that we might have Black babies from some mixing there. “Warned” was the word from them, in that era. I suppose it would be a surprise as I was raised lilly White. I have Black cousins, now. My late, racist Uncle would shit the bed. He was orange Irish from Brooklyn and moved to Florida, oy!

by Anonymousreply 364January 14, 2020 4:41 AM

R363 I don't think like you do or see it that way, sorry. I've lived in a Muslim country and didn't think of them as 'brown' people. I've seen Muslims of all races, though I guess according to you the white Muslims won't be offended. Sounds idiotic to me but maybe your words will be the spark that ignites a movement which succeeds in removing the man from office.

by Anonymousreply 365January 14, 2020 5:12 AM

[quote]I've lived in a Muslim country and didn't think of them as 'brown' people.

It's not about what you think. Or what I think.

It's about how Muslims are largely perceived by the general public in the US.

It is a religion associated with black and brown people. If you say "Muslim" to the average Joe in the US, white people aren't what first comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 366January 14, 2020 5:43 AM

who cares what the public in the US thinks?

by Anonymousreply 367January 14, 2020 1:35 PM

My family lived in Italy when I was a kid, and everything R32 says is true. It affects many things we take for granted. For instance, a lot of commercial establishments close during midday (also churches!). The postal service is so terrible that eBay sellers won't sell to Italy (or many other places), because a lot of mail just never arrives.

There was also this other thing: everyone in the north (where we lived) hated everyone from the south. They called them "terroni," which is untranslatable but means something like "I hate them and the train they rode in on." And it's true that southerners came from a different culture and had different habits that did not sit well with northerners. (You see it in Visconti's movie Rocco and His Brothers.) It was even racial, as northern genetics are Etruscan and German and Latin, while much of the south was once known as Magna Graecia-- "Big Greece," because it was settled by immigrants from the east.

by Anonymousreply 368January 14, 2020 3:26 PM

[quote]My family lived in Italy when I was a kid, and everything [R32] says is true. It affects many things we take for granted. For instance, a lot of commercial establishments close during midday (also churches!).

And that's a good thing, a cultural thing that you'll also find in Spain. It has advantages and disadvantages but I love the ability to have a long leisurely lunch. Many workers are able to return home to have lunch with their family. And I like a short afternoon nap. "La pausa" is something that we cherish an not something that would work with the American mind-set.

R367 Idiot, Trumps tweets in the US. Who do you think is the audience is for his racist tweets?

[quote]The postal service is so terrible that eBay sellers won't sell to Italy (or many other places), because a lot of mail just never arrives.

What year are you writing from? Ebay is alive and well in Italy. Also, as in the US, private carriers now take a good part of business.

[quote]There was also this other thing: everyone in the north (where we lived) hated everyone from the south. They called them "terroni," which is untranslatable but means something like "I hate them and the train they rode in on."

That's not what the word means but anyway it is an insult. That attitude has changed greatly over time.

by Anonymousreply 369January 14, 2020 5:30 PM

I think they meant a lot of people live outside the US. Europe is what twice the amount of people as North America? Italy alone is what a fifth the population of the US?

So saying it's about what Americans think... There are just so many people and so much life outside of America. It's aggrivating to have American's think their America controls the whole world. The military and all that is just too much, but maybe it allows places like Europe to flourish with no more WW2 repeats, not sure. Europeans can unite against that horrible US tyrant, or Russia. Or maybe they have truly learned from the past.

So yeah, I get it sounds commical to a European to suggest that what Americans think about Muslims, or even the American President thinks, has any bearing on the weight of a Muslim's life, except in America, or when America wants to bomb a Muslim country. Around the world they're not paying attention to this stupid President Trump and watching America self destruct.

Seriously, America and Trumpism need to be stopped. Europe, Russia, China need to call a meeting and say that what happened was completely uncalled for and over the top.

by Anonymousreply 370January 14, 2020 5:51 PM

Okay, shithead at R369, you want to mince words?

Terrone is literally "big ugly land," and the terroni are the people who live there. Happy now, you fucking schmuck?

by Anonymousreply 371January 14, 2020 6:29 PM

R371 Also doesn't understand the term "to mince words".

by Anonymousreply 372January 14, 2020 6:36 PM

Isn't "terroni" a word that refers to southern Italians?

by Anonymousreply 373January 14, 2020 8:48 PM

And Southern Italians call Northern Italians 'polentoni' which is also an insult. But stop acting that regional divides exist only in Italy. There's a North-South divide in places like the United States, the U.K., Spain, Japan and Brazil. There's an East-West divide in Germany, Russia, Turkey and Ukraine. However, if you think North and South Italians will take a German or a Spaniard's side over their own fellow Italians, you've got another thing coming. They're Italian first.

by Anonymousreply 374January 15, 2020 12:12 PM

For the people who want to know what "terroni" and other regional Italian insults mean, here's a brief but very interesting and informative video. Basically all of Italy's twenty regions have something for others to pick on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375January 15, 2020 12:35 PM

the northerners hate the southern italians because they have bigger, plumpy, intact penises

by Anonymousreply 376January 15, 2020 10:06 PM

And why do southern Italians hate northerners?

by Anonymousreply 377January 15, 2020 11:23 PM

So is it true that people around the Rome region are considered crude and unwashed?

by Anonymousreply 378January 15, 2020 11:24 PM

Americans have this idea of Italy like it's still 1948.

Yes R378, people around the Rome region are considered crude and unwashed much like the Cockneys of London.....

by Anonymousreply 379January 15, 2020 11:29 PM

^ Do you really mean that or am I missing a “Rose” somewhere in your reply?

by Anonymousreply 380January 15, 2020 11:44 PM

Yes Rose.

by Anonymousreply 381January 15, 2020 11:47 PM

Ok, I get it r381. But the video at r375 says they’re considered bumpkins.

by Anonymousreply 382January 16, 2020 12:04 AM

One thing that most people do not know is that Italians are obsessively clean, both their bodies and homes. I don't know if that's true of US Italians, bu it is certainly true in Italy. Aside from using the bidet every time they shit and having an array of personal care products, the home cleaning and laundry products available in even a small store is extensive.

by Anonymousreply 383January 16, 2020 6:46 AM

^ On Italian Grindr, so many people say they’re turned on by the smell of fresh laundry. It’s cultural ?

by Anonymousreply 384January 16, 2020 7:20 AM

Having lived in both countries, I’d pick living in Italy over soulless Germany any day.

by Anonymousreply 385January 16, 2020 9:30 PM

Do Italians use a spoon when they twirl pasta onto their forks?

by Anonymousreply 386January 16, 2020 9:33 PM

R374 Terroni has much more of a sting. The South has historically been very impoversihed when compared to Northern Italy. Southern Italians have moved to Northen Italy for work not the other way around.

R383 Italian cities could be much cleaner. When compared to a next door neighbor like France(if Austria and Switzreland were added it would be even worse) Italian cities are comparatively dirty. Italians are immalucate when it comes to their personl space and dressing but the public trust not so much.

by Anonymousreply 387January 18, 2020 2:29 PM

[quote]Italian cities could be much cleaner. When compared to a next door neighbor like France(if Austria and Switzreland were added it would be even worse) Italian cities are comparatively dirty.

I take it you've never visited the towns and small cities of Tuscany, Le Marche, Lombardia, Trentino-Alto Adige, Emilia-Romagna, Liguria, Umbria, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Sardegna.... they are immaculate.

Have you been to the center of Milan?

Florence is hard to maintain with thousands of tourists pouring through every day.

My town in Tuscany is kept beautifully. We do have problems: things like pot holes, getting grass cut often enough... but on the other hand the city must deal with maintaining buildings, murals, statuary ...exquisite treasures that are hundreds of years old. There can only be so much money to go around.

Italy isn't Denmark, but then again, it does not have the squalor that you'll find in the US. It doesn't have cities that look like they were bombed out like Detroit, or massive tent cities, or people shitting in the streets.

by Anonymousreply 388January 18, 2020 4:29 PM

[quote]Terroni has much more of a sting. The South has historically been very impoversihed when compared to Northern Italy. Southern Italians have moved to Northen Italy for work not the other way around.

No, polentoni seems just as bad judging from the video at r375. And the most celebrated aspects of Italian culture, including the cuisine, come from the South. 🍕 Northern Italy is bland and soulless.

by Anonymousreply 389January 18, 2020 8:52 PM

R389 And the most celebrated aspects of Italian culture, including the cuisine, come from the South.

LOL. You mean like the Renaissance? Or Tuscan cuisine? Or Venice? Or Milan with it's fashion and Modena with it's cars?

by Anonymousreply 390January 18, 2020 8:58 PM

R388 I didn't mention the US. However Athens is the biggest architectural disaster of any European capital That being said Rome is dirtier! That is embarrasing ebcause Athens is a complete shithole. Not to mention most major Spanish cities are pretty clean. There are no Rome or Naples in Spain. That is my point. I've been to Northern Italy and there were definitely places that were great. Rome on down is more of a mess excluding Apulia. Bari is very nice for a Southern Italian city.

R390 The poor Southern Italians really lost out after the reunification of Italy. They really were treated like the runt of the litter. A lot of the blame comes from The South however some of it comes from Northern Italy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391January 18, 2020 9:33 PM

[quote]Rome on down is more of a mess excluding Apulia.

Oh please.

Sorrento, The Amalfi Coast, Ischia, Maratea, Matera, Specchia, Alberobello, Castelmezzano, L’Aquila, Capri, Tropea, Taormina....etc.

by Anonymousreply 392January 18, 2020 10:01 PM

Pino Aprile's book has been criticized as mostly a work of fiction:

[quote]Lo storico Salvatore Lupo* in una sua intervista dichiara di considerare il libro di Pino Aprile all'interno di un "filone che con il Risorgimento non ha nulla a che vedere, perché mescola alla rinfusa fatti accertati con eventi immaginari". Inoltre ne critica la poca chiarezza nell'indicare le fonti storiche utilizzate fino a definire il libro come una delle "macchine editoriali che non hanno nulla in comune con il lavoro di storico"[3].

[quote]Va infatti ricordato che quest'opera manca completamente della sezione bibliografica a supporto dei fatti citati.

*Lupo BTW is Sicilian. Professor at the University of Palermo and of Catania

by Anonymousreply 393January 18, 2020 10:12 PM

R390 Compare Southern Italy to Greece, Southern France and Spain .Spain is very clean and the North South divide is not as severe as inItaly. That is where Southern Italy loses. Oh and Naples is worse than Athens . Athens is a complete mess but unlike Naples foreign tourists don't avoid it.

by Anonymousreply 394January 18, 2020 11:08 PM

Unforunately there is still truth in Aprile's book. However to blame what happened well over a hundred years ago for The South's current situation is ludicrous. I'm surprised that April didn't claim that Garibaldi brought The Camorra down from Nice!

by Anonymousreply 395January 18, 2020 11:15 PM

[quote]Compare Southern Italy to Greece, Southern France and Spain .Spain is very clean and the North South divide is not as severe as inItaly. That is where Southern Italy loses. Oh and Naples is worse than Athens . Athens is a complete mess but unlike Naples foreign tourists don't avoid it.

Naples is only a fraction of the South of Italy. The South is home to some of the most spectacular locations on earth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396January 19, 2020 12:47 AM

Matera.

UNESCO World Heritage Site,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397January 19, 2020 12:52 AM

Taormina Sicily

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398January 19, 2020 12:58 AM

Alberobello Puglia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399January 19, 2020 1:03 AM

Cefalu Sicily

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400January 19, 2020 1:09 AM

Sperlonga, Lazio

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401January 19, 2020 1:14 AM

Atrani, Amalfi Coast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402January 19, 2020 1:25 AM

Some have huge cocks.

by Anonymousreply 403January 19, 2020 1:28 AM

Castel Gandolfo, Lazio

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404January 19, 2020 1:30 AM

Pacentro Abruzzo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405January 19, 2020 1:36 AM

San Marco di Castellabate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406January 19, 2020 1:49 AM

[quote]Not to mention most major Spanish cities are pretty clean. There are no Rome or Naples in Spain.

Indeed there isn't.

Spain would LOVE to have a city like Rome.

The 3rd most visited city in Europe after London and Paris. There as reason for that.

The Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, St. Peter’s Basilica, St Peter’s Square, The Pantheon, The Roman Forum, The Sistine Chapel, The Vatican Museums, Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, Piazza Navona, Caravaggio, Trastevere, The Jewish Ghetto, Testaccio, The the Appia Antica

But of course all of that goes over your head, for tourist like you it's "a mess"!

by Anonymousreply 407January 19, 2020 3:59 AM

You can do a "Call Me By Your Name" tour in Italy that takes you to all the filming locations used in the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408January 19, 2020 4:07 AM

Most people visit Italy because of the sights, culture and food of the South. It’s not even close.

by Anonymousreply 409January 19, 2020 1:05 PM

Rome isn't the cleanest but it has an elegance, grandness to it that's inimitable. Paris is a poor man's Rome.

by Anonymousreply 410January 20, 2020 5:40 PM

Italy: Don’t Hate Us Cause We’re Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 411January 21, 2020 8:27 AM

no r409, venice

by Anonymousreply 412January 21, 2020 8:58 AM

If you like cheese with your sausage then you’re in luck.

by Anonymousreply 413January 21, 2020 9:59 AM

I’ll never get used to Italy. Every time the waiter at the place I like to eat greets me with Ciao Bello!” it takes me a second before I remember he doesn’t mean it that way. Sigh! But I love it.

by Anonymousreply 414January 23, 2020 6:48 AM

131 I am Italian and this is the proper way to say Sicily and Naples in Italian.

by Anonymousreply 415January 23, 2020 8:18 AM

R131 I am Italian and this is the proper way to say Sicily and Naples in Italian.

by Anonymousreply 416January 23, 2020 8:18 AM

Italy is the absolute best in every way...aside from the financial mess it finds itself in and the disorganization. Such a shame! It’s contributions to science, finance, the arts, industry, mathematics and cuisine is unsurpassed. not to mention its landscape is beautiful and the people are stunning. I think the only other country I’ve seen equally stunning people are in Israel.

by Anonymousreply 417January 23, 2020 8:28 AM

R391 I Am Dying!

I mean, you obviously haven’t spent any time in Italy if you are saying that Rome on down is a mess. That statement is just idiotic. And for your sake, don’t ever repeat that in public because anyone who is truly familiar with Italy will drag you for filthhhhhh. Don’t make that mistake.

by Anonymousreply 418January 23, 2020 8:41 AM

R388 Reading through the comments I’m realizing that people like that poster haven’t spent a considerable amount of time in Italy. Nor have they visited the regions they’re even commenting about. It’s just so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 419January 23, 2020 8:49 AM

R383 R384 Italians are sticklers about hygiene. So much so that a complaint that prisoners have is that they don’t have bidets in their jail cells!

by Anonymousreply 420January 23, 2020 8:52 AM

^^^ meant to say that even prisoners complain about not having bidets.

by Anonymousreply 421January 23, 2020 8:54 AM

R307 the ghetto? You clearly haven’t been in Italy then. It’s the most gorgeous country in Europe. What are you even talking about? R308 I think she’s jealous.

by Anonymousreply 422January 23, 2020 8:57 AM

R343 Yes, queen! Tell this bitch!

by Anonymousreply 423January 23, 2020 8:59 AM

I'm in Rome now, and man, the graffiti is off the charts! How do people stand it? If someone graffiti'd my house or garage door, I'd sure as hell paint it asap.

by Anonymousreply 424January 23, 2020 9:20 AM

R424 Every city has its cycles of grime. NYC right now is experiencing the same nonsense with our shitty mayor. The graffiti is getting better in Rome actually. Slowly but surely. Two years ago it was worse.

by Anonymousreply 425January 23, 2020 10:12 AM

Disagree, R425. I am in Rome for an extended stay every year going back a decade and we were just saying how much fresh graffiti there is.

About the bidet - I asked an Italian what they do if they have to shit when not at home - do they bring soap and a towel into the bathroom at work or in school? He said they use baby wipes.

by Anonymousreply 426January 23, 2020 1:36 PM

R426

You’re an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 427January 23, 2020 3:50 PM

R426 And I will add to the “you’re an idiot” statement with I live right outside of Rome as well as NYC and work in the fashion industry. I grew up an hour away from Rome. So I don’t know who you’re trying to kid, but shill you’re bullshit elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 428January 23, 2020 3:58 PM

^^ your

by Anonymousreply 429January 23, 2020 3:58 PM

I want a big Italian sausage and big butt.

by Anonymousreply 430January 23, 2020 4:09 PM

The graffiti situation as I see it:

Florence was in such a sorry state 10 years ago, graffiti seemed to cover everything. It was depressing to see. But the city has made a huge effort to combat it. A volunteer group, the "Angeli del Bello" was formed and they're very active in cleaning what graffiti appears. The center of Florence is now pretty much graffiti free.

The last time I was in Rome was 3 years ago for a number of business appointments. The center was free of graffiti and the streets were clean. The place was gorgeous. Jaw droppingly stunning. If it's sliding back, well, I'm sorry to hear it.

The center of Milan is clean and beautiful, it's so luxurious, but outside of the center, graffiti is a problem.

All of my Italian friends are very tolerant of graffiti and don't even seem to notice it. I'm very sensitive to it. I think it's a cultural thing...you know, the word is Italian.

by Anonymousreply 431January 23, 2020 5:24 PM

What on earth is your problem, R427? That someone sees the world slightly differently than you do?

Life must be hard for you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432January 23, 2020 10:22 PM

R434 That photo of a building on the periphery of Rome is from 4 years ago. Let's hope the building has been cleaned since then.

The Angeli Del Bello in action in Rome:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433January 23, 2020 10:40 PM

The Instagram account of the volunteer group Angeli Del Bello. Interesting to flip through.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434January 23, 2020 10:50 PM

More power to them, R434. But I walked through Trastevere yesterday and thought the graffiti was worse than ever. Tourists were commenting on it.

by Anonymousreply 435January 23, 2020 10:55 PM

To clarify my point, the graffiti in Rome is bad, but it’s being removed slowly but surely. There are many grass root organizations (Civilians) that are taking care of the graffiti and garbage situation themselves. They have been vigilant about it. The current mayor, as polarizing as she is, is trying to turn the city around, but sadly she has the cards stacked against her. It has gotten much much better.

by Anonymousreply 436January 23, 2020 11:33 PM

Far-right racist boor, Matteo Salvini, who personifies the worst of Italian culture was positioning himself to trigger a collapse of the current Italian government, paving the way for his own return. He, however, got sharp slap-down in regional elections in Emiglia-Romagna (includes the city of Bologna), one of Italy's traditional leftwing strongholds, where even communists flourish. He will have to wait another time for the chance to return to power.

This is the first check to the momentum of the hateful far-right coalition Salvini leads that even includes a smaller party led by Mussolini's granddaughter. But if any region was ever going to halt his match to Rome, it would be proudly left Bologna and Emilia-Romagna. And with migration no longer a problem as the previous flood from Africa all but completely halted, Italians might not have an excuse to vote for him anymore. The longer he stays out of power, the harder it gets for him to return.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437January 27, 2020 1:05 PM

Rome is a fascinating city but it is filthy. And the African guys outside the tourist spots are out of control. Worse than Paris. They will physically assault you. The police don’t care. Deport them!

by Anonymousreply 438January 27, 2020 1:46 PM

[quote]This is the first check to the momentum of the hateful far-right coalition Salvini leads

Bullshit.

Although the outcome of this election is not all of what Salving hoped for, he continues to make gains. And these elections show that.

Yes, thanks to Salvini immigration is down. Instead of criticizing the Lega you should be criticizing the Left that has allowed the Right to flourish in all of Europe.

[quote]And the African guys outside the tourist spots are out of control

Yes, and Italians are tired of that shit.

But be careful: R437 will call you a racist.

by Anonymousreply 439January 27, 2020 4:14 PM

R439 100%!

by Anonymousreply 440January 27, 2020 8:00 PM

[quote]And the African guys outside the tourist spots are out of control. Worse than Paris. They will physically assault you.

The Africans final destination was never Italy and as mentioned before, they are much fewer than there were a few years ago. And no, they're not violent. A lot of they will just go away if you tell them you're not interested in whatever they're selling. Also they are tiny drop in numbers compared to North African Arabs, other Middle Easterners, Indians and Chinese. But because their skin is so jarring to r438, he wants them deported because they don't fit into his La Dolce Vita fantasy of Italy.

I accept that Italy is not a multiracial country like the UK or France, and they are poorer for it. Outdated stereotypes about black people are still very prevalent. But Emiglia-Romagna proves not all of Italy is a backward southern European version of Belarus.

by Anonymousreply 441January 28, 2020 7:33 AM

The elections in Emiglia-Romagna were a referendum on Salvini, which he failed. I

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442January 28, 2020 7:38 AM

[quote]"(Salvini) is the big loser in this election because the people saw it as a referendum in him," said Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, adding that he expected his coalition would survive until the end of the legislature in 2023.

As a lover of Italy, music to my ears. And to think he was in government and essentially played himself out of power unforced. Low IQ and rightwing populism go hand in hand.

by Anonymousreply 443January 28, 2020 7:46 AM

Salvini GAINED in the election on Sunday.

Winning 43.6% of the vote in Emilia Romania of all places is an incredible achievement. Unthinkable just a few years ago.

And in the election before this one he won another Leftist stronghold, Umbria.

[quote]Low IQ and rightwing populism go hand in hand.

Gee I wonder why Europe's IQ has suddenly dropped so low in the last 5 years....

by Anonymousreply 444January 28, 2020 12:38 PM

[quote] Salvini GAINED in the election on Sunday.

Actually, his Lega party dropped from almost 34% in Emilia Romagna in the 2019 European elections to 31% in the regional elections in Emilia Romagna on Sunday. In Calabria, the other regional election on Sunday, Salvini’s Lega got 12% of the vote, while only the year before it had managed a whopping 23% at the European elections. The centre right coalition he’s part of did extraordinarily well, but the Lega itself not so much.

by Anonymousreply 445January 28, 2020 1:34 PM

[quote] The centre right coalition he’s part of did extraordinarily well, but the Lega itself not so much.

What I should have said was the right coalition.

However according to the latest polling, the Lega remains by far the most popular political party in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 446January 28, 2020 2:31 PM

r438 I spent the day on the Spanish Steps, The Trevi Fountain and Piazza Venezia. Majority of vendors look South Asian, very few (single digits) black men. But you'll find the Africans at Termini Station, many homeless and sleeping rough. But never violent. You've taken your American fear of black people to Europe with you.

by Anonymousreply 447January 28, 2020 7:35 PM

[quote]I spent the day on the Spanish Steps, The Trevi Fountain and Piazza Venezia. Majority of vendors look South Asian, very few (single digits) black men. But you'll find the Africans at Termini Station, many homeless and sleeping rough. But never violent. You've taken your American fear of black people to Europe with you.

Typical American tourist spouting off about issues he knows nothing about.

I really don't feel like posting the long list of violent crimes perpetrated by African men in Italy.

But R447, why don't you tell us about the Polish tourist gang raped by four Africans, on a beach in Rimini. Or the American woman Ashley Olsen murdered in Florence? Or why don't you tell us about 16-year-old Desiree Mariottini raped and murdered in Rome by a group of Senegalese? Or the British tourist raped in Milan by a gang of Africans last June?

40 percent of rapes in Italy are committed by foreigners who make up 8 percent of the population (Istat 2017).

by Anonymousreply 448January 28, 2020 10:48 PM

[quote]But you'll find the Africans at Termini Station, many homeless and sleeping rough. But never violent. You've taken your American fear of black people to Europe with you.

Nope. Never violent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449January 28, 2020 10:53 PM

Graffiti is an ancient Roman tradition that survives to this day. It's how news was spread and how people made their opinions known . Every city in the empire had graffiti. As a matter of fact by studying ancient graffiti archaeologists are able to build a very clear picture of Roman culture in classical times. You must keep in mind that this was a very literate cosmopolitan society, Most people knew how to read and write, even the poorest and slaves. They were very self aware that they lived in a huge world spanning empire and news traveled very quickly. They had a pop culture that even we would recognize, Actors, athletes, charioteers, and gladiators had huge followings as did local politicians. All of this we know from graffiti.

by Anonymousreply 450January 28, 2020 11:56 PM

[quote]But you'll find the Africans at Termini Station, many homeless and sleeping rough. But never violent. You've taken your American fear of black people to Europe with you.

Nope. Never violent.

30 Sept. 2019: Gambian arrested at the Termini Station for raping a 15 year old Italian girl who was on her way to a march for climate change awareness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451January 29, 2020 2:52 AM

Because r448, that would be like having to tell you about crimes by Americans in Italy, including teens recently murdering a police officer in Rome, and blaming it on Americans. You seem quick to blame all Africans whenever one commits a crime. No wonder there aren’t so many left anymore.

[quote]40 percent of rapes in Italy are committed by foreigners who make up 8 percent of the population (Istat 2017).

How many by Senegalese? Yeah, that’s what I thought. Most are Romanian, Albanian, and other Eastern Europeans.

by Anonymousreply 452January 29, 2020 4:54 AM

R449. That is NOT normal behaviour, in any culture on this earth. Yet you’re using it against African migrants.

by Anonymousreply 453January 29, 2020 4:57 AM

I can tell you this - nearly all of the violent robberies carried out in Florence and Rome are by groups of North Africans (Moroccans).

The pickpockets are Roma, often teenaged girls.

by Anonymousreply 454January 29, 2020 4:59 AM

R454 I posted up thread about the old Italian man telling me about the violence of North Africans, Cubans and Colombians. Can you confirm to these people that the African vendors are not likely to “assault you” as r438 says?

by Anonymousreply 455January 29, 2020 5:05 AM

As I said, R455, they commit different kinds of crimes. The sub-Saharan African vendors can be pushy but are generally not aggressive. Opportunistic sexual crimes might be anther story though. The Moroccan youths can be predatory. I would not want to be a woman walking alone at night in Florence or a lone drunk foreign man stumbling out of a bar at midnight in either Florence or Rome.

by Anonymousreply 456January 29, 2020 5:22 AM

The reason Italy has swung to the right is because of the influx of immigrants. It's quite simple really. Western Europe hates these immigrants that flooded their countries a few years ago and they've swung hard to the Right ever since.

by Anonymousreply 457January 29, 2020 6:18 AM

ps, I do not think men are authorised to opine on who is sexually threatening to women.

by Anonymousreply 458January 29, 2020 6:53 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459January 29, 2020 7:17 AM

^

[quote]A woman raped by two Italians who were caught sharing high fives after their vile attack on her in a Soho nightclub has slammed the students for treating her like 'a badge of honour'.

[quote]Lorenzo Costanzo, 26, and Ferdinando Orlando, 25,[b] had brazenly claimed they should face a lighter sentence as they are from a 'different cultural background',[/b] but were jailed for seven-and-a-half years today.

by Anonymousreply 460January 29, 2020 7:30 AM

A 19-year-old American recently gang-raped in Catania, Sicily by ... Italians. Not a single migrant insight. But one case of an immigrant misbehaving is used to condemn the entire group. In this way, Italy will never be a modern society.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461January 29, 2020 7:34 AM

In my experience, Italians are generally more racist, prejudiced and provincial than your average westerner. In this way, the country’s sensibilities are more aligned to Russia and Eastern Europe than with the West.

by Anonymousreply 462January 29, 2020 9:20 AM

There was a poll recently that showed that 25% would not accept a Jew marrying into their family. And 50% would not accept a Muslim marrying into their family, as well.

by Anonymousreply 463January 29, 2020 9:54 AM

^ They must’ve been too scared to have a black option for that poll.

by Anonymousreply 464January 29, 2020 2:01 PM

Look how pretty Bologna is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465January 29, 2020 11:05 PM

[quote]A 19-year-old American recently gang-raped in Catania, Sicily by ... Italians. Not a single migrant insight. But one case of an immigrant misbehaving is used to condemn the entire group. In this way, Italy will never be a modern society.

Cut the bullshit.

Italy, like every country, has it's own home-grown crime. And Italy fortunately has a lower crime rate than many countries.

But immigrants are way over-represented (for their percentage of the population) in the crime that does occur for their percentage of the population. This is statistical (Istat) not opinion.

[quote]You seem quick to blame all Africans whenever one commits a crime. No wonder there aren’t so many left anymore.

YOU are the one making sweeping generalizations about people. Not me.

YOU are the one who wrote the idiotic statement: ""But you'll find the Africans at Termini Station, many homeless and sleeping rough. But never violent. You've taken your American fear of black people to Europe with you."

Never violent? The statement is false. And I showed you examples.

Here's another one for you: Italian girl stalked by an African at a train station:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466January 29, 2020 11:23 PM

Nope. Never violent.

Italian girl attracted by African immigrant at train station.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467January 29, 2020 11:27 PM

* attacked

by Anonymousreply 468January 29, 2020 11:29 PM

Gore Vidal's tongue said the Italian boys had the cleanest holes.

by Anonymousreply 469January 29, 2020 11:29 PM

I fucked lots of guys there. They were straight, they said, and wanted to get married and have kids. I didn't wait to see if they had the kids etc.

by Anonymousreply 470January 30, 2020 2:25 AM

Give us the stats then, r466. Let’s end this now. Show us that Africans are responsible for most of the crime in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 471January 30, 2020 5:15 AM

Look at R466 and r467 acting like those cases are the norm and to be expected from Africans in Italy. Why don’t you tell the truth? That they are about as likely as the sex-starved Italians in U.K. at r459 going wild and crazy like they’ve never seen so many blonde women at once and behaving like animals? You know that case was used by some idiots as one of the reasons for supporting Brexit, right?

by Anonymousreply 472January 30, 2020 9:55 AM

Italy is a beautiful country in every sense of the word and the small hill towns are pretty accepting of immigrants. Moreso than the people who live in small American suburban towns.

by Anonymousreply 473January 30, 2020 10:44 AM

Ever since I was a kid I kept reading that Italy's population is shrinking, along with Russia's, Japan's and Spain's. Japan recently made it easier to immigrate because they need it to offset its ageing population. The Japanese have always been far-sighted and practical and know what has to be done to solve that problem.

by Anonymousreply 474January 30, 2020 7:13 PM

R474 You don't know what your talking about.

Italy's population has grown steadily every year since the 1950s.

There was a very slight dip only in the last year.

Italy's population: 1955 - 48,335,578 - - - 2019 - 60,550,075

by Anonymousreply 475January 30, 2020 9:41 PM

*you're

by Anonymousreply 476January 30, 2020 9:42 PM

Italians make far too much noise.

by Anonymousreply 477January 31, 2020 12:19 AM

[quote]Show us that Africans are responsible for most of the crime in Italy.

Please show me where I ever said "Africans are responsible for most of the crime in Italy."

Nope. Never violent.

Italian girl punched in the face at train station by African.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478January 31, 2020 3:49 AM

What you're doing r478, is using isolated incidents to tarnish a whole group. And I demonstrated the same could be easily done with Italians spreading the mafia to the US and some of them misbehaving in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 479January 31, 2020 8:00 AM

R479 Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 480January 31, 2020 12:17 PM

What, you're saying Africans assaulting people is common?

by Anonymousreply 481January 31, 2020 12:58 PM

Italy's 'sardines' hold an anti-far-right rally in Rome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482January 31, 2020 2:45 PM

The African migrants are nothing but a pain in the ass. They hassle people to give them money with "Please, please, I am so hungry, give me a euro for a cup of coffee." Meanwhile I have never seen one who looked the least bit undernourished, and as far as I know, all their needs for food, shelter, clothing and medical care are paid for by the government. And each and every one is a young, healthy, strong guy. At the Trionfale produce market in Rome, I see old Italian men in their 70s lifting heavy crates of vegetables in the cold while these losers lounge around smoking and chatting with their mates.

by Anonymousreply 483January 31, 2020 4:36 PM

you tell me

by Anonymousreply 484January 31, 2020 4:41 PM

While the Italian Left is now working on allowing children born in Italy to non-citizens automatically becoming Italian citizens, Greece is doing this:

(and they wonder why people vote for the right...)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485January 31, 2020 6:27 PM

You mean the way it is in a lot of advanced democracies, such as the USA, Australia, France, the UK..., r485?

by Anonymousreply 486February 1, 2020 5:48 PM

R486 Wrong again.

What are you babbling about?

Not one European country has birthright citizenship for children of parents (at least one) who are not citizens.

by Anonymousreply 487February 1, 2020 7:59 PM

In Italy, everything seems to breathe peace and freedom, and it make one forget the world and its problems.

by Anonymousreply 488February 1, 2020 8:04 PM

R486 Australia?

Australia abolished birthright citizenship over 30 years ago.

But the idiotic Italian left wants it for Italy.

And you're surprise that former lefties now vote for Salvini?

by Anonymousreply 489February 2, 2020 3:44 PM

^ Didn’t Salvini just lose Emilia-Romagna? Clearly they don’t care.

by Anonymousreply 490February 3, 2020 6:02 AM

Italians, especially young Italians, are emigrating in search of greener pastures at higher rates than any country in Western Europe. And they’re moving everywhere in the world where there’s work. But accepting immigrants into Italy? Oh, no! No way that’s going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 491February 3, 2020 12:17 PM

All the young Italians I know of who have emigrated or are trying to emigrate are highly qualified, and seeking to advance their careers. They also speak a few useful languages.

by Anonymousreply 492February 3, 2020 12:38 PM

R491 What an intelligent equivalency!

by Anonymousreply 493February 3, 2020 12:44 PM

Every Little Italy in the world, including a couple in Africa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494February 3, 2020 6:49 PM

What they’re saying is, we’ll emigrate to your country, but don’t you dare come to ours. Italy’s economy has been stagnant for years and they’ll keep moving elsewhere in search of a living.

by Anonymousreply 495February 3, 2020 7:27 PM

I seriously doubt many Italians are hoping to move to sub-Saharan Africa. And there are numerous American and northern European expats living in Italy, so clearly Italy has not been unwelcoming.

by Anonymousreply 496February 3, 2020 8:28 PM

Wrong. From that list, there are Italian communities in South Africa, Kenya, and from my own observations, a budding one in Zanzibar, Tanzania. These are three sub-Saharan African countries that ironically have next to zero migrants into Italy (most come from West African countries like Senegal and Nigeria) and most of their citizens happy with their lives at home. I’ve seen Italians open restaurants, Safari businesses and scuba diving outfits in places like Kenya.

by Anonymousreply 497February 4, 2020 3:51 AM

For what it’s worth, Italians were my guides up Mt Kilimanjaro last year.

by Anonymousreply 498February 4, 2020 3:55 AM

[quote]What they’re saying is, we’ll emigrate to your country, but don’t you dare come to ours.

Why do you continue to talk out of your ass?

According to Eurostat (2017) Italy ranks 4th in Europe for number of immigrants, that is people born outside of the country.

The country is certainly open to immigration but like every other Euro country it's not open to uncontrolled mass immigration.

by Anonymousreply 499February 4, 2020 4:09 AM

[quote]What they’re saying is, we’ll emigrate to your country, but don’t you dare come to ours.

From the LaRepubblica:

"Italy is first place in Europe by far in terms of number of citizenship acquisitions. In 2015 and 2016 (latest data available) Italy ranks first in Europe in terms of number of citizenship acquired: our 380 thousand new acquisitions are 40 percent more than those of the United Kingdom (268 thousand) or Spain (265 thousand), followed by France (233 thousand), Germany (223 thousand) and Sweden (110 thousand). "

"L'Italia è di gran lunga al primo posto in Europa per numero di acquisizioni di cittadinanza. Nel 2015 e nel 2016 (ultimi dati disponibili) l'Italia risulta al primo posto in Europa per numero di acquisiti alla cittadinanza: le nostre 380mila nuove acquisizioni sono il 40 per cento in più rispetto a quelle del Regno Unito (268mila) o della Spagna (265mila), seguite da Francia (233mila), Germania (223mila) e Svezia (110mila). "

by Anonymousreply 500February 4, 2020 4:54 AM

Any Italians here? I'm watching Sanremo and still not sure what #bugogate is about. Also, can someone explain what kind of drugs this Achille Lauro guy is on?

by Anonymousreply 501February 8, 2020 11:12 PM

They really do eat by the seasons.

That is a joy in summer but in winter means lots of turnips. Lots of them.

by Anonymousreply 502February 9, 2020 12:22 PM

R469 No. Vidal said American boys have clean feet and dirty assholes and Italian boys have dirty feet and clean assholes. Boys? What a pervert!

by Anonymousreply 503February 9, 2020 1:22 PM

R502, just spent two weeks in Venice and bologna and saw not one turnip. The Markets in bologna were brimming with radicchio and artichokes

by Anonymousreply 504February 9, 2020 1:33 PM

r501 I was watching San Remo, too, and I saw and heard Rita Pavone, whom I remembered from millenovecento sessantaquatro (1964) and her American song, "Remember Me."

I assumed, even at my young age, that she liked girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505February 9, 2020 2:37 PM

I think Sanremo has been won for two straight years by a gay guy, even though, this year’s winner Diodato Isn’t out and says even if he was gay, he would never come out. But Fai Rumore is a beautiful song. For once, the song I was rooting for from the start won.

My back ups were Il Confronto by Marco Masini; Dov’è by Le Vibrazioni; and Viceversa by Francesco Gabbani. They all did well.

by Anonymousreply 506February 9, 2020 3:22 PM

[quote]even though, this year’s winner Diodato Isn’t out

Uh... what proof do you have that he's gay?

by Anonymousreply 507February 9, 2020 5:46 PM

No proof. But there’s enough gossip for him to be asked even though he won’t speak of his private life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508February 10, 2020 2:50 AM

Uh... what proof do you have that he's straight?

by Anonymousreply 509February 10, 2020 3:44 AM

R509 Well, the fact that he has a girlfriend might be a clue.

by Anonymousreply 510February 10, 2020 3:48 AM

r510 He's never had a public girlfriend. The blogs trying to link him to Levante but as recently as 2019, they had both stated that they're single.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511February 10, 2020 5:10 AM

Chickens coming home to roost for baby Mussolini.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512February 11, 2020 11:43 AM

R512 What a face. It will just guarantee more people abandoning the left.

The latest polling:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513February 11, 2020 6:02 PM

*What a farce.

by Anonymousreply 514February 11, 2020 7:37 PM

Yet they couldn’t win Emilia-Romagna.

by Anonymousreply 515February 11, 2020 9:31 PM

[quote]Yet they couldn’t win Emilia-Romagna.

That in the traditionally red Emilia-Romagna, the right did so well in the last election is startling. It has been steady growth. Unthinkable only 5 years ago. And they did win the traditionally red Umbria.

Tuscany is next. I doubt that the right will win but again it will be close and again show growth.

Their growth has been from the working class, people who voted left for generations.

by Anonymousreply 516February 11, 2020 10:28 PM

Sometimes the weather report on tv is done by handsome meteorologists from the Italian Air Force, in uniform.

by Anonymousreply 517February 12, 2020 11:04 AM

Yeah, I’m waiting for R510 to show us the girlfriend. Diodato is one singer I was onto even before he got popular in Italy. I remember wondering why his songs weren’t raking as many views on YouTube. Needless to say, I’d done my stalking bit for three years and knew more than most Italians about him and his private life.

by Anonymousreply 518February 12, 2020 3:58 PM

How to fall out of love with a country you’ve loved visiting as tourist over many years: live in it!

by Anonymousreply 519February 13, 2020 1:47 AM

Here people don’t know they’re backward and racist.

by Anonymousreply 520February 13, 2020 1:49 AM

My favorite Italian, Marco in a Box, teaches us "ITALIAN WORDS you've been getting wrong..." He's gay, too. That's his husband Alan with him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521February 13, 2020 2:33 AM

Gay Italian couples often look like brothers, see above

by Anonymousreply 522February 15, 2020 12:24 AM

Who are you talking about, r522?

by Anonymousreply 523February 15, 2020 12:27 AM

The boyfriend is Irish.

by Anonymousreply 524February 15, 2020 3:23 AM

Marco has a cute way about him.

by Anonymousreply 525February 15, 2020 4:00 AM

That video on how to pronounce Italian words @r521 has got to be the most irritating thing I’ve seen this month. If anglos pronounced those words as an Italian native speaker does then they’d probably be speaking Italian. Have neither of them heard the way Italians butcher English words?

by Anonymousreply 526February 15, 2020 8:38 AM

[quote]If anglos pronounced those words as an Italian native speaker does then they’d probably be speaking Italian.

Erm...yes, that's what they'd be doing, speaking Italian. Nothing gets past you, does it?

by Anonymousreply 527February 15, 2020 8:56 AM

[quote]If anglos pronounced those words as an Italian native speaker does then they’d probably be speaking Italian.

R526 Duh.

by Anonymousreply 528February 16, 2020 3:25 AM

I have to say I’ve met some really kind people here in Italy. Smart, educated unselfish, worldly, unprejudiced people who are not happy their country might be perceived as racist And backward. But as the likes of r478 show, they may be a minority, I fear.

by Anonymousreply 529February 21, 2020 10:49 AM

R529 Why is pointing out a genuine social problem racist?

by Anonymousreply 530February 21, 2020 11:29 AM

[quote]who are not happy their country might be perceived as racist And backward.

The judgmental Americans and Brits ...with their superiority complex...love lecturing other countries about how they're supposed to live.

It might be a surprise for you to know that Italians don't give a rats ass about what you think.

by Anonymousreply 531February 21, 2020 1:21 PM

The corona virus has spread to Northern Italy. Some see the poetic justice as Salvini, Trump-like, used to be trumpet a different tune.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532February 22, 2020 8:04 AM

[quote]The corona virus has spread to Northern Italy. Some see the poetic justice as Salvini, Trump-like, used to be trumpet a different tune.

Funny, Salving won the very Southern region of Calabria a couple of months ago.

Furthermore, the corona virus has also spread to Rome with two cases.

by Anonymousreply 533February 23, 2020 2:57 AM

*Funny, Salvini won the very Southern region of Calabria a couple of months ago.

by Anonymousreply 534February 23, 2020 2:58 AM

R531 Well I care. Why don't you care? Why doesn't everyone care? I cared enough to start this thread.

Caring power!

by Anonymousreply 535February 23, 2020 3:02 AM

Italy is freaking out about the coronavirus!

by Anonymousreply 536February 23, 2020 3:58 AM

[quote]*Funny, Salvini won the very Southern region of Calabria a couple of months ago.

Yes he did, despite the vile abuse and insults he used to heap on them when he was campaigning for the separation of Northern Italy. A little like Donald Trump saying in 1998 that if he were to run for president he would run as a Republican because "They’re the dumbest group of voters in the country...“

by Anonymousreply 537February 23, 2020 4:21 AM

The U.K. wants the best immigrants. Why would they want the U.K.?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538February 23, 2020 5:20 AM

“Rome music school bans all East Asian students from class amid coronavirus fears”. Seriously!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539February 23, 2020 5:23 AM

R538 That's a zero sum game. Skimming other countries that are already down trodden to begin with for their cream of the crop is dishonorable and not smart. It's going to further increase asylum seeking because the brilliant minds that run the country will have left, and when brains drain countries can't run.

by Anonymousreply 540February 23, 2020 6:54 AM

So the solution is not to let in half a continent to a small country. It's to make the continent like Italy and Britain. Those tiny countries can't support half a continent. Where instability is, there must be agreeable nation building.

by Anonymousreply 541February 23, 2020 7:07 AM

R540 Canada and Australia do the same.

by Anonymousreply 542February 23, 2020 11:58 AM

Italy is a freaking out about the CoronaVirus right now. Europe’s biggest surge with close to 80 cases as making Italy the third most infected country outside of China and that cruise ship. Full on panic mode in Milan with empty supermarket shelves as people horde groceries that may not be replenished due to resulting restrictions in the supply chain. Lombardy and Veneto regions suffering the brunt of the outbreak, so I’d cancel that trip to Venice if I were you. There are three cases detected in Rome but, thankfully, were all contracted outside the country, so Rome is still fine. Here’s a nice graphic from the French newspaper, Le Parisien.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543February 24, 2020 3:17 AM

Of course Salvini hasn’t wasted time in trying to make political capital from the crisis. Claims Conte’s government has let down 60 million Italians and is demanding that they resign.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544February 24, 2020 3:20 AM

Grocery stores cleaned out by Milanese in panic mode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545February 24, 2020 3:28 AM

Austria stops all train traffic to and from Italy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546February 24, 2020 3:29 AM

Coronavirus Infections in Italy have actually jumped to 140. I’m staying indoors.

by Anonymousreply 547February 24, 2020 3:31 AM

[quote]Of course Salvini hasn’t wasted time in trying to make political capital from the crisis.

Exactly as the opposition would if Salving were in charge. Except their efforts to make make capital from the crisis would be far worse..

by Anonymousreply 548February 24, 2020 3:38 AM

*Exactly as the opposition would if Salvini were in charge.

Ugh ...spell check.

by Anonymousreply 549February 24, 2020 3:40 AM

This is getting serious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550February 24, 2020 7:23 AM

I left a few days ago and am now in the depths of cold, rainy rural France. With nearly 4000 covid-19 cases, it seemed like a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 551March 5, 2020 9:59 PM

I left a few days ago and am now in the depths of cold, rainy rural France. With nearly 4000 covid-19 cases, it seemed like a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 552March 5, 2020 9:59 PM

[quote]I left a few days ago and am now in the depths of cold, rainy rural France. With nearly 4000 covid-19 cases, it seemed like a good idea.

Well, with that ridiculous post you left at R32, it's best you're gone.

You have to be the only person in the world who can look at Michelangelo's David and say he looks short and stocky or that Florence's infrastructure is at 3rd world levels. Good God.

BTW, Italy has nearly 4000 people who have tested positive for covid-19 ....but guess what...they've so far done around 23 ,000 tests.

How many tests have been carried out in the US so far?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 553March 5, 2020 10:58 PM

You make me laugh, R553. I stand by my statements. And why would I know how many covid-19 tests have been carried out in the US? I don't live there and have no current plans to visit.

by Anonymousreply 554March 7, 2020 6:05 AM

[quote]The corona virus has spread to Northern Italy. Some see the poetic justice as Salvini, Trump-like, used to be trumpet a different tune.

Ha, ha, ha...

Look who has actually come down with the virus: segretario del Partito democratico: Nicola Zingaretti.

Poetic justice indeed!

by Anonymousreply 555March 8, 2020 1:35 AM

^ Unfortunate. I was hoping that cunt Giorgia Meloni would get infected. I'm not r32, but also I'm in Italy locked in my apartment in Rome weighing my options.

by Anonymousreply 556March 8, 2020 4:50 AM

Another unfortunate thing I've discovered. Homophobia and homophobic attacks are quite common, but most hate crimes go unreported or are ignored by the police. Italy is still in many ways a very backward country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557March 8, 2020 4:54 AM

[quote]homophobic attacks are quite common, but most hate crimes go unreported or are ignored by the police.

Proof please.

by Anonymousreply 558March 8, 2020 4:59 AM

R556 Giorgia Meloni's popularity only continues to rise. Not surprising considering Italy's idiotic left.

by Anonymousreply 559March 8, 2020 5:02 AM

R557 Please show us were it is said that Italians are responsible for that attack.

Thanks in advance.

by Anonymousreply 560March 8, 2020 5:04 AM

Here's one, with video, of Italians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561March 8, 2020 5:13 AM

[quote]Please show us were it is said that Italians are responsible for that attack

Being in Italy, I think it's reasonable to assume they're Italian? Because another thing, if they were migrants or Italian-born but with foreign origins, you can trust the Italian media to at least mention, if not highlight, it.

by Anonymousreply 562March 8, 2020 5:17 AM

R561 The article (and video) says nothing about the perps being Italian.

You do understand that cities like Amsterdam, Berlin, London, Paris have horrible gay bashing incidents. The perps are usually not ethnic Dutch, Brits, French etc.

by Anonymousreply 563March 8, 2020 5:20 AM

R562 Porta Romana e Vittoria, le case bianche is a high crime South American neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 564March 8, 2020 5:24 AM

R562 Before you go shooting your mouth about things you know nothing about, at least do a little research.

Le Case Bianche

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565March 8, 2020 5:35 AM

All businesses closed except pharmacies, banks and grocery stores. Dystopian nightmare, Italy.

by Anonymousreply 566March 11, 2020 10:11 PM

And Italians love singing, apparently. Even as they drop like flies, they sing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567March 14, 2020 10:54 AM

Sweet.

It will be interesting to see, when US cities are in lockdown, how the Americans will behave...

by Anonymousreply 568March 14, 2020 3:37 PM

America? We'll be OK. I have my guns and will shoot anyone who messes with my toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 569March 14, 2020 3:59 PM

Here in Italy, we are not worried about carta hygienica (toilet paper). By law, every bathroom has a bidet and we think anyone who does not use one is disgusting.

That law did not apply to Italian prisons, causing the inmates to riot.

by Anonymousreply 570March 19, 2020 11:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!