Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump’s new Judiciary will rule this country for the rest of most of our lives

We had one job in 2016, and we failed. We will deal with the dire consequences the rest of our lives.

After three years in office, President Trump has remade the federal judiciary, ensuring a conservative tilt for decades and cementing his legacy no matter the outcome of November’s election. Trump nominees make up 1 in 4 U.S. circuit court judges. Two of his picks sit on the Supreme Court. And this past week, as the House voted to impeach the president, the Republican-led Senate confirmed an additional 13 district court judges. In total, Trump has installed 187 judges to the federal bench. Trump’s mark on the judiciary is already having far-reaching effects on legislation and liberal priorities. Just last week, the 5th Circuit struck down a core provision of the Affordable Care Act. One of the two appellate judges who ruled against the landmark law was a Trump appointee.

The 13 circuit courts are the second most powerful in the nation, serving as a last stop for appeals on lower court rulings, unless the case is taken up by the Supreme Court. So far, Trump has appointed 50 judges to circuit court benches. Comparatively, by this point in President Obama’s first term, he had confirmed 25. At the end of his eight years, he had appointed 55 circuit judges. Trump’s appointments have flipped three circuit courts to majority GOP-appointed judges, including the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit in New York. The president has also selected younger conservatives for these lifetime appointments, ensuring his impact is felt for many years.

While Trump has wavered on some conservative policies during his tenure, he has reliably appointed judges in line with conservative ideology. “I’ve always heard, actually, that when you become President, the most — single most important thing you can do is federal judges,” Trump said at a White House event in November celebrating his “federal judicial confirmation milestones.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114December 30, 2019 11:08 PM

The three circuit courts that have flipped to Republican majorities this year have the potential to not only change policy but also benefit Trump professionally and politically. The 2nd Circuit, with its new right-leaning majority, will decide whether to rehear a case challenging Trump’s ability to block critics on Twitter, as well as one regarding Trump’s businesses profiting while he’s in office. The 11th Circuit, which handles appeals from Georgia, Florida and Alabama, is set to take up several voting rights cases. Trump has facetiously thanked Obama for leaving him so many judicial vacancies. “Now, President Obama was very nice to us. He gave us 142 empty positions. That’s never happened before,” Trump said in the Oval Office on Thursday. “But, as you know, that’s said to be the most important thing that a President has.”

by Anonymousreply 1December 22, 2019 9:58 PM

There is only one circuit court vacancy left for Trump to fill, but more could open up next year. And if Trump wins in November, there will certainly be vacancies in his second term. There’s also the potential for additional openings on the Supreme Court. Ruth Bader Ginsburg, appointed by President Bill Clinton in 1993, is 86 and has had health problems. Justice Stephen G. Breyer, another Clinton pick, is also over 80. Chris Kang, chief counsel of Demand Justice, a group that supports liberal judicial nominees, wants Democrats to recognize just how high the stakes are for 2020. “Republicans have been using the courts to achieve policy priorities that they couldn’t achieve through the democratically elected legislative branch of government,” Kang said. “These federal judges serve for life; that’s a point we take for granted, but not a way a lot of Americans understand it. Trump’s imprint on this country will be felt for decades through his courts.”

by Anonymousreply 2December 22, 2019 9:58 PM

And they are not qualified according to the American Bar Association.

by Anonymousreply 3December 22, 2019 10:04 PM

R3, and it doesn’t mean a thing because they are on the bench anyway

by Anonymousreply 4December 22, 2019 10:08 PM

Liberals and Democrats keep crying about ABA accreditation and such as if we have power to make that stuff matter anymore. We need to realize we are out of power and the things that mattered to us have no sway in a Trump world.

by Anonymousreply 5December 22, 2019 10:10 PM

That why you don’t lose elections

by Anonymousreply 6December 22, 2019 10:11 PM

The job was actually to turn out for the 2014 midterms. Too many GOP senators were elected that year. It was too late by 2016.

by Anonymousreply 7December 22, 2019 10:14 PM

We actually first stopped the ball in 2010, a pivotal election of the century that would determine gerrymandering and jumpstart the nascent Tea Party electrons. Liberals foolishly believed Obama would change everything for good and new demographics endured a progressive future. We were dumb and negligent

by Anonymousreply 8December 22, 2019 10:18 PM

Dont bet on it OP....many are unqualified...and several have a negative ABA rating. You can bet that at some point the Democrats will reevaluate them and either offer them an opportunity to resign or face impeachment themselves. Yes, we will be forced to keep about 50 % of them, but they will be staunch conservatives, but qualified with good reputations. The others were obviously appointed for easy manipulation and favors. Because the glaring fact they are unqualified was featured in the media, it will make it easier to accomplish.

by Anonymousreply 9December 22, 2019 10:22 PM

R9, you’re delusional. They are on the bench for life

by Anonymousreply 10December 22, 2019 10:29 PM

We're fucked.

I am glad I'm only on earth for 20 years or so more, and hope I can escape to a safe place if Trump's America starts expanding their emulation of the Third Reich.

by Anonymousreply 11December 22, 2019 10:30 PM

Yeah, there is a good chance that through precedent, Trump’s judges will rule this nation into the next century

by Anonymousreply 12December 22, 2019 11:01 PM

Polyanna Democrats like to wish away the consequences of 2016 with wild pipe dreams about how the harm will be undone in the future. What they fail to realize is that Trump and judiciary are Laying the foundation to undermine elections to keep the Democratic base suppressed and out of power permanently. Through court decisions, they will kill efforts to challenge Republican shenanigans. The watchdogs are on their side now

by Anonymousreply 13December 22, 2019 11:04 PM

Fucked for the most part. There are still some constitutional laws that will need to be adhered to. Anyone who does the dumbest ruling, Ala the judge who gave the lenient sentence to rapist Brock Turner will still be checked. They can be removed via impeachment.

by Anonymousreply 14December 22, 2019 11:06 PM

B-but we impeached him... ?!

by Anonymousreply 15December 22, 2019 11:10 PM

Good, they'll follow the constitution and not legislate from the bench as the progs do. Looks like you'll not get to go crying to the courts to overturn legal constitutional bills that the majority voted for.

by Anonymousreply 16December 22, 2019 11:14 PM

R16, this is not a place for you. Go to the Klan board

by Anonymousreply 17December 22, 2019 11:16 PM

A lot of the blaim is actually with Obama. He is the one who left so many of the seats open.

by Anonymousreply 18December 22, 2019 11:26 PM

R18, don’t be dumb. Repubs blocked his appointments. Read and educate yourself dude

by Anonymousreply 19December 22, 2019 11:30 PM

[quote]blaim

WTF

by Anonymousreply 20December 22, 2019 11:30 PM

No, impeachment of judges requires 67 votes to remove. These judges are here to stay. As for Brock Turner, that was a STATE judge, most of whom are subject to election every 4 to 6 years, not lifetime Federal appointments. As to Obama, he couldn't fill appointments once McConnell took over the Senate after the 2014 midterms. And no, 2016 was perfect to take the Senate back, but Hillary sucked and turnout dropped so we were fucked.

by Anonymousreply 21December 22, 2019 11:31 PM

[quote]overturn legal constitutional bills that the majority voted for.

What "majority," you train wreck? The MAJORITY didn't vote for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 22December 22, 2019 11:31 PM

And this is why Susan Sarandon is an absolutely selfish, unthinking CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 23December 22, 2019 11:32 PM

And the Best overdramatic poster award goes to R11

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 22, 2019 11:34 PM

I've known some unqualified federal judges who were appointed for political reasons and they drank themselves into early graves. So "lifetime appointment" doesn't always mean "forever".

by Anonymousreply 25December 22, 2019 11:36 PM

R22 I am not talking about the presidential election cunt-lick, I am talking about state referendums that the majority of voters voted for---can you think of a few??

by Anonymousreply 26December 22, 2019 11:36 PM

Liberals and Democrats are suffering the effects of a mixture of arrogant overconfidence, purity tests and cancel culture, naïvety, political laziness, and just plain political ignorance. We like to think of conservatives as dumb, but at least they prioritize seizing power and remaking the judiciary.

by Anonymousreply 27December 22, 2019 11:38 PM

Eight judges

Four Republican

Four Democratic

Voted on by the people.

Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 28December 22, 2019 11:39 PM

R25, you seem to have a hard time dealing with reality

by Anonymousreply 29December 22, 2019 11:39 PM

I know an acquaintance Lawyer who rode GOP coattails to work at the Dept of Justice for two years and suddenly got nominated and was granted a lifetime judgeship after that.

I was like WTF???

by Anonymousreply 30December 22, 2019 11:41 PM

[quote][R22] I am not talking about the presidential election cunt-lick, I am talking about state referendums that the majority of voters voted for---can you think of a few??

No one wants Trump licking their cunt unless they're getting paid, fucking asshole who doesn't use a comma. And you truly are trainwreck.

You're on a fucking GAY BOARD being gleeful over the prospects of REPUBLICAN APPOINTEES -some of whom are known homophobes- deciding people's fate?

IDIOT.

by Anonymousreply 31December 22, 2019 11:48 PM

We didn't 'fail'. The Republicans can't win without tricks (hacking, propaganda, brainwashing, voter suppression, smear campaigns...). They pulled every trick in the book and squeaked by... and "won".

by Anonymousreply 32December 22, 2019 11:57 PM

R31 There is so much more to the US and the world than seeing everything through an LGBT lens you histrionic igmoid. By the way, love your hyper-excitable use of "Republican appointees" as a dog whistle. Sad you think that Judges can legislate from the bench but all of that is going away and it is back to strictly following the constitution for a change. Trump's appointment of constitutional judges did this to R31 --->

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 23, 2019 12:00 AM

if you want to be angry at someone, be angry at RBG. She should have retired while Obama could replace her.

by Anonymousreply 34December 23, 2019 12:00 AM

Democrats need to take back the WH and Congress. Then, expand the SCOTUS a few sane young liberal judges.

Regarding RBG, who's to say that McTurtle wouldn't have held up any replacement for her as well.

by Anonymousreply 35December 23, 2019 12:05 AM

This is maddening and I am truly scared after reading all this. There's got to be a way to fix this.

by Anonymousreply 36December 23, 2019 12:05 AM

R33, you're an idiot and saying there's "more to it" as if we're talking about disputing a parking ticket, shows how low you'll sink. You're fine with people's rights being taken away based on the bigotry of the person sitting in judgment of them.

Yeah, there is "more to it." Usually, a homophobe doesn't limit their prejudice to only gay people.

WTF are you even on here normalizing unqualified appointees? Are you a troll. I mean it's obvious you're an asshole, regardless.

by Anonymousreply 37December 23, 2019 12:06 AM

the last POTUS who tried to pack the court didn't work out so well

by Anonymousreply 38December 23, 2019 12:07 AM

R33, this is not a place for you. You are a pariah

by Anonymousreply 39December 23, 2019 12:12 AM

The last POTUS who tried to pack the court didn’t succeed at that task, but he was elected four times.

by Anonymousreply 40December 23, 2019 12:12 AM

This is why elections are important. Federal and supreme judges can affect our lives for generations. Trump is placing extreme right wing judges that will make decisions on ideology rather than precedence or law.

by Anonymousreply 41December 23, 2019 1:49 AM

Lotsa them didn't go out to vote in 2014 and 2016, being busy playing Pokemon, but they had audacity to come out in droves to protest in 2017. Deplorable. And thank you Sue Sarandon and Jill Stein for making all this shit possible one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 42December 23, 2019 8:46 AM

Yes, anyone who didn't vote for Hillary gave up any right to complain about Trump. Thanks for helping him get elected, jackasses.

by Anonymousreply 43December 23, 2019 10:48 AM

elections have consequences, to those who didn't vote in 2016 out of spite, you get what you deserve

by Anonymousreply 44December 23, 2019 10:50 AM

R40: He also got the court sufficiently afraid of being changed and/or challenged that the existing judges started finding New Deal legislation constitutional. Courts scholars call it the "Switch in Time that Saved Nine" And then the retirements started and then that President had named all 9 justices by the time of his death. History is fun.

by Anonymousreply 45December 23, 2019 2:26 PM

Judges, judges, judges. It's not the actual White House.

It's everything.

God, I hate Trump.

by Anonymousreply 46December 23, 2019 2:30 PM

I hate so=called liberals and moderates too arrogant that they couldn't see the forest for the trees.

To stupidly think Trump and Clinton were the same that you didn't think about the people *actually* surrounding Trump and making the decisions were extremists.

Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 47December 23, 2019 3:12 PM

so-called*

by Anonymousreply 48December 23, 2019 3:12 PM

"Judges, judges, judges... God, I hate Trump"

I imagine it's Pence doing the hiring. Choosing all his Christian Supremacist buds.

by Anonymousreply 49December 24, 2019 1:36 AM

“The 5th Circuit today is a sneak peek of what more courts will look like once they have been fully captured by judges both Trump-appointed and Trump-aligned.”

Please read. This is terrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 27, 2019 2:46 AM

If it gets so one sided in the courts that justice can't prevail, then people will revolt. It won't matter how much power the Reich has when their heads are on a spike or chopped off by guillotines. Too bad they are so against gun control, it will be their undoing. Mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 51December 27, 2019 2:54 AM

It should not be surprising that this court cut back on protections against double jeopardy, permitting prosecutors to retry a defendant on an issue of fact that a jury has already decided in his favor. Or that the court curbed Americans’ right to protest in a decision involving DeRay Mckesson, a Black Lives Matter activist. During one demonstration that Mckesson helped lead against police brutality, a protester threw a hard object at an officer that hit him. The officer then sued Mckesson, even though he’d done nothing to incite violence. In shocking ruling, the 5th Circuit approved the lawsuit, holding Mckesson was liable for any violence committed by any protester at his demonstration. This decision is a frontal attack on the First Amendment, subjecting activists to crippling damages by making them liable for the conduct of people they can’t actually control. It radically alters free speech law, suppressing dissent and threatening to bankrupt civil rights groups.

The 5th Circuit is also finding new and creative ways to trample LGBTQ rights. The court held that the Eighth Amendment does not require prisons to provide sex reassignment surgery to transgender inmates, even those who threaten suicide. Ho’s opinion for the court willfully misgendered the trans plaintiff. The court also held that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act does not bar discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. In a long-winded concurrence to his own majority opinion, Ho then lobbied SCOTUS to rule against LGBTQ equality, writing that a decision for LGBTQ rights would delegitimize the court.

by Anonymousreply 52December 27, 2019 3:53 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 53December 28, 2019 1:03 PM

Those examples aren't helping your argument, R52.

by Anonymousreply 54December 28, 2019 5:03 PM

I was just talking to a group of friends about this. We came to The conclusion that it’s hopeless because liberals are so politically lazy and asleep. Conservatives are always in fight and conquer Mode.

by Anonymousreply 55December 28, 2019 10:09 PM

[quote]If it gets so one sided in the courts that justice can't prevail, then people will revolt.

Your assumption that the rulings would be opposed by the majority of Americans is probably incorrect. There may be a revolt, but it would likely be by a minority of the population. For example, I'm inclined to believe that most people would agree that the Constitution does not require that the federal government pay for gender reassignment surgery for federal prison inmates.

by Anonymousreply 56December 28, 2019 10:27 PM

Democrats and progressive tick me off being so weak

by Anonymousreply 57December 28, 2019 10:48 PM

[quote] For example, I'm inclined to believe that most people would agree that the Constitution does not require that the federal government pay for gender reassignment surgery for federal prison inmates.

I'm trying to picture the founders grappling with this notion. As scientists, Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson would probably be intrigued by such a medical procedure becoming possible -- but I fear that many of them might be unable even to imagine it (much less approve). I don't know enough about those men's personalities, but at least one would probably snicker derisively.

by Anonymousreply 58December 29, 2019 2:59 PM

The problem isn't just 2016. Democrats get complacent at the mid-terms when there is a Democrat in the White House. If we had not lost the Senate in 2014 all of those seats would have been filled by Obama, and Merrick Garland would be sitting on the Supreme Court - or someone more liberal, since Garland was a compromise nomination.

Vote by mail needs to spread across the country. We have it in Colorado - I get an email when my ballot is on the way to me, I can mail it back, or drop it in the drop box outside the library two blocks away. I get an email when my ballot is received, and another when it is counted. Making it easier to vote increases participation.

Higher turn-out is always good for the Democrats - that's why the Repugs are against it.

We need to get our shit together and remember that EVERY election is important - not just the Presidential election, and not just the mid-terms when the GOP holds the White House.

by Anonymousreply 59December 29, 2019 3:12 PM

Yes, R59. Voting is mandatory in Australia, isn't it? I remember someone from that country posting on DL that the system works there.

by Anonymousreply 60December 29, 2019 3:15 PM

Yes, I believe it is compulsory in Australia. I don't know that that would fly here, but election day should be a National Holiday, or on a weekend. Another benefit of vote by mail, is that for the most part, they don't know what your race is.

Minorities experience voter suppression in much greater percentages than white people. Precincts in "urban" neighborhoods are more prone to long lines, power issues, and sudden changes in polling places on election day.

by Anonymousreply 61December 29, 2019 3:20 PM

Republicans vote.

by Anonymousreply 62December 29, 2019 3:42 PM

Democrats like the tenacious commitment to gaining and keeping power that conservatives instinctually have. Liberals lack fear of losing power or being subjugated that conservatives harness to political advantage.

by Anonymousreply 63December 29, 2019 3:44 PM

I read that Clarence Thomas is planning to retire if Trump gets re-elected. So that’s another potential Supreme Court appointment.

by Anonymousreply 64December 29, 2019 3:45 PM

Democrats are still too chill and lackadaisical about politics. Why aren’t we storming Capital Hill and shouting down Republicans Wherever they go en masse? Why are we so low energy?

by Anonymousreply 65December 29, 2019 3:46 PM

They also cheat. They can't actually win if votes counted and gerrymandering didn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 66December 29, 2019 3:46 PM

R64 what a dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 67December 29, 2019 3:48 PM

You are swiftly approaching fascism.

by Anonymousreply 68December 29, 2019 3:49 PM

And we are too lazy to protest it

by Anonymousreply 69December 29, 2019 4:21 PM

In the 60s, movements were able to stage multiple massive protests without social media and technology. Now, people whine but do nothing tangible to make a difference.

by Anonymousreply 70December 29, 2019 4:24 PM

The majority of this country votes for Dems and pays most of the bills for this country. If they try to take away rights based on targeting a single sexuality or a single gender or a single religion, there will absolutely be war.

Do people honestly think that they could just take away the right to choose in NYC and LA- two cities with a combined population greater than several red states combined? Good luck getting either city to send tax money to bumfuck if they take away the rights of the citizens who pay for red state moochers who on top of having their leech hands out, want to tell their benefactors what they can and can't do.

by Anonymousreply 71December 29, 2019 5:03 PM

[quote]Precincts in "urban" neighborhoods are more prone to long lines, power issues, and sudden changes in polling places on election day.

You know that those are controlled by the local supervisor of elections, right?

by Anonymousreply 72December 30, 2019 3:52 AM

Nina Turner voted for Jill Stein in '16, and she's damn proud of it!

You see, one is judged by the company one keeps.

by Anonymousreply 73December 30, 2019 3:56 AM

R72, STFU.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 30, 2019 4:02 AM

Whoever upthread said 2020 will be all about turnout is dead right. If turnout is high, we will have a Democratic president-elect in 2020. It's one reason I continue to warm to Bernie. Although I find the man personally grating at times, polling suggests no other better candidate is in a better position to drive turnout from low-interest and first-time voters. Those who've felt left out by the political process and have disengaged. Those who would, overwhelmingly, support the Democratic nominee.

by Anonymousreply 75December 30, 2019 4:12 AM

Trump had nothing to do with it. Pence has been hard at work on this.

by Anonymousreply 76December 30, 2019 5:36 AM

And this (and the tax cuts) are the reasons he'll continue to have the support of 99.9% of Republicans and Republican-leaning voters in 2020. Nothing he says or does -- racist, xenophobic, homphobic, downright insane -- will stop them from supporting him because he's probably done more than any President in modern history to solidify their regressive, ultra-conservative viewpoint.

by Anonymousreply 77December 30, 2019 5:47 AM

In regard to abortion rights and gay marriage rights, the very worst scenario (and it IS a terrible scenario), is that those rights would revert to states, rather than being federal rights. But that would be a bitter blow and would possibly ignite a complete gender divide in red states, with women deserting the Republican party completely. One would hope that that the Supreme court would uphold past decisions......but given the ideological bent of the newer judges, that is by no means certain.

by Anonymousreply 78December 30, 2019 6:01 AM

[quote]Trump had nothing to do with it. Pence has been hard at work on this.

Trump... SI G N E D off on ALL OF IT. EVERY NAME.

So when you say he had "nothing" to do with it, you better not be disgustingly trying to defend Trump in some warped way like he hasn't shown he is scum for numerous other reasons.

by Anonymousreply 79December 30, 2019 6:53 AM

It's all about abortion and nothing else. These motherfuckers don't care about anything else, not do they care about the country. It's about abortion and abortion only.

by Anonymousreply 80December 30, 2019 7:13 AM

It's true that Dems are too lazy - take CNN. No matter how important any subject matter is, you can be sure they are not going to make their big name commentators come in to work the news desk. You can be certain, however, that Hannity will will appear "live" and be right in your face.

As far as lifetime judicial appointments go, we live in interesting times. No other U.S. President has broken so many laws and corrupted the Constitution as much as Dump has. The only reason why he is still president is because our stupid laws prevent criminal charges be brought against a sitting president. How idiotic is that? Plus, there's the questionable means as to how he even got elected in the first place!

I trust that if Dems gain both Houses and the Presidency, they will return the favor to these criminal Repukes. I can only hope that their comeuppance be a slow and painful one ending with felony convictions. That's right, these rat fuckers are going to J-A-I-L! Why...can you imagine what a Dem Attorney General can do once Bill Barr is gone? The breath and debt of these investigations will be mind boggling. The paper trail would go on and on and on, lasting years if not a decade to unveil.

by Anonymousreply 81December 30, 2019 8:48 AM

Democrats are too weak

by Anonymousreply 82December 30, 2019 12:13 PM

Democrats try to follow the rules, R82 -- always a disadvantage.

by Anonymousreply 83December 30, 2019 12:56 PM

11/21/2013 : Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) warned Democrats Thursday that they’d regret using the “nuclear option.” “You’ll regret this, and you may regret this a lot sooner than you think,” McConnell said on the Senate floor. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) on Thursday started the process of invoking the nuclear option, saying he wanted to change Senate rules to prevent the minority from filibustering any nominations other than those to the Supreme Court.

No one can say that they weren’t warned.

by Anonymousreply 84December 30, 2019 1:11 PM

OP is absolutely right.

Hey asshole. R34, Supreme Court judges don't resign, they retire. And even if she had, Obama would have replaced her with another liberal and we wouldn't be any further ahead with liberals on the bench. Can you do simple math?

by Anonymousreply 85December 30, 2019 1:27 PM

True, but it’s also true that Trump has a good chance of replacing Ginsburg with a Hardline rightwinger next year, or in his second term.

by Anonymousreply 86December 30, 2019 1:34 PM

He's always had that chance, it was handed to him by McConnell. Its neither the fault of Obama or Ginsburg.

by Anonymousreply 87December 30, 2019 1:39 PM

*It's

by Anonymousreply 88December 30, 2019 1:39 PM

I'm not R34, but R85 if you knew how to read you would see R34 wrote "retired."

by Anonymousreply 89December 30, 2019 1:40 PM

So what, R89? Can you read this, C-U-N-T?

by Anonymousreply 90December 30, 2019 1:42 PM

Deal with your anger issues R90.

by Anonymousreply 91December 30, 2019 1:44 PM

R91, go fuck yourself, C-U-N-T.

by Anonymousreply 92December 30, 2019 1:45 PM

It’s the Democratic and progressive base’s fault for not prioritizing the judiciary the say conservatives have for decades. Liberals are still shockingly unbothered by it.

by Anonymousreply 93December 30, 2019 1:53 PM

We only care about trans women of color and child molesters getting the right to vote in prison.

by Anonymousreply 94December 30, 2019 1:57 PM

Oh, that's SO funny and trenchant, R94, you cunt.

by Anonymousreply 95December 30, 2019 2:03 PM

WTF is R94 even talking about? What a dumb post when the Republicans want their molesters in the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 96December 30, 2019 2:44 PM

R84 is right - it was Harry Reid, when the Democrats had the majority in the Senate, who changed the long-standing rules that used to block this sort of thing.

I remember arguing with a good friend of mine about what a bad idea this was, and he was just like “it doesn’t matter we can get things done now”. I told him that this would be a big mistake in the long run and I’m sorry to say that I was right.

by Anonymousreply 97December 30, 2019 4:35 PM

Don’t be so quick to declare yourself right, r97. The Republicans still may have changed the rules, but Harry Reid would not have been able to appoint any of Obama‘a nominees.

by Anonymousreply 98December 30, 2019 4:39 PM

Trump has been able to appoint more judges in three years than President Obama did in eight. If the appointments continue at the same pace and Trump wins reelection, he will irrevocably change the federal judiciary for the next 30 years.

Harry “I work for the Vegas mob“ Reid made a big mistake.

by Anonymousreply 99December 30, 2019 4:42 PM

R97, the Republicans would have definitely changed the rules as it did so without second though when it came to approving a SCOTUS judge.

by Anonymousreply 100December 30, 2019 4:44 PM

This--and everything to do with Trump--is an ongoing tragedy. And nothing stops it. Not impeachment, not anything. It's happening every single day until the 2020 election. And then--I can't think about it.

by Anonymousreply 101December 30, 2019 4:45 PM

[quote] Harry “I work for the Vegas mob“ Reid made a big mistake.

As if Harry Reid caused any of this.

With McConnell creating a rule out of thin air to deny Obama from naming a SCOTUS judge and then recently saying that rule didn't matter any more, the GOP would have created a new rule about judges once it knew it had the votes.

by Anonymousreply 102December 30, 2019 4:45 PM

All we can hope for is Dems to win the White House and Senate and do exactly what the GOP has been.

No more of this, "Now we can return to the regular way things are done" bull shit.

by Anonymousreply 103December 30, 2019 4:46 PM

The rationalization for what Reid did shows that no lesson was learned from that and the Democrats will again set a precedence that they will come to regret.

by Anonymousreply 104December 30, 2019 9:32 PM

Reid changed the rules because Republicans we’re blocking Obama’s judges.

by Anonymousreply 105December 30, 2019 10:04 PM

Reid changed the rules because Republicans we’re blocking Obama’s judges.

by Anonymousreply 106December 30, 2019 10:04 PM

R104: Shut up trollboy.

by Anonymousreply 107December 30, 2019 10:17 PM

Idiot R104, you mean precedent, not precedence.

by Anonymousreply 108December 30, 2019 10:27 PM

I know, but there’s no edit option.

by Anonymousreply 109December 30, 2019 10:35 PM

You still could have clarified it in a future post, but you didn't, dummy R109.

by Anonymousreply 110December 30, 2019 10:38 PM

I trusted that someone else would bother.

by Anonymousreply 111December 30, 2019 10:41 PM

Bullshit. You had no clue.

by Anonymousreply 112December 30, 2019 10:58 PM

I suspect half will be found to be child molesters or soliciting bribes or hopeless alcoholics or drug addicts. Let the impeachments begin 2021.

by Anonymousreply 113December 30, 2019 11:05 PM

Not gonna happen

by Anonymousreply 114December 30, 2019 11:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!