Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Am I the only person annoyed Gone With The Wind isn't showing this Christmas?

It's one of the few times I can actually sit down and watch this classic in peace without interruption or distraction and they aren't even screening it this year, just modern, crappy fare.

I know I could stream it or get the DVD but I like the Christmas tradions on TV.

Any other fans of this movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 26, 2020 4:55 PM

They didn't even play Sound of Music on the right weekend this year......

by Anonymousreply 1December 22, 2019 6:36 PM

I like watching The Sound of Music on Boxing Day (or the day after Christmas).

But, yes, this is a good time of year to watch GWTW.

by Anonymousreply 2December 22, 2019 6:40 PM

Yes, you are

by Anonymousreply 3December 22, 2019 6:42 PM

It's a brave new world, OP. You're going to have to acquire copies of your old faves it you expect to see them. Would streaming be so hard?

I understand fading cultures. I get sad when there's no place in a major city to have my shoes shined.

by Anonymousreply 4December 22, 2019 6:43 PM

R4 The brave new world sucks. How many Hallmark films (that are always the same thing again and again) one can watch without going crazy

by Anonymousreply 5December 22, 2019 6:49 PM

Just eat a big helping of beans, broccoli, garlic and dairy products and you’ll make The Wind—and be Gone.

by Anonymousreply 6December 22, 2019 6:51 PM

I've never seen the movie, nor read the book. Not particularly interested either.

by Anonymousreply 7December 22, 2019 7:01 PM

Where is the annual Christmas In Connecticut on TCM?

by Anonymousreply 8December 22, 2019 7:08 PM

I am annoyed. It was on TCM one night (the evening of its 80th anniversary) but I feel years ago it would be on TV more frequently. I have the DVD but there’s something about tuning in a certain channel at a certain time just to watch it. Kind of make me have something to look for when I know it will be on TV.

by Anonymousreply 9December 22, 2019 7:16 PM

And what is with AMC's holiday movies this year? Horrible direct-to-video or cable movies like Olsen twins craptacular Christmas movies or Dennis the Menace movies with Robert Wagner? Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 10December 22, 2019 7:17 PM

OP? TCM just showed it last Friday night and then again Saturday. It'll be back in February. It's in US theaters again for two days in January. I'd say that's a pretty active calendar of showings for an 80-year old film.

by Anonymousreply 11December 22, 2019 7:22 PM

R11 I am in The UK. Up until recently it was on around this time each year. Now nothing.

by Anonymousreply 12December 22, 2019 7:24 PM

Fuck this racist trash

by Anonymousreply 13December 22, 2019 7:29 PM

One of my all time favorite scenes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 22, 2019 7:35 PM

I don't remember GWTW ever being a Christmas tradition.

by Anonymousreply 15December 22, 2019 7:41 PM

I read the book recently. Compared to the film, Scarlett is less flouncy, not too smart and more straight up id. Melanie very naive and decent as opposed to being beatific and sickly sweet.

Also! Scarlett gave up her ring first!

by Anonymousreply 16December 22, 2019 7:44 PM

It's playing in London on December 31st at the Regent Street Cinema.

by Anonymousreply 17December 22, 2019 7:46 PM

Exactly how is Gone With The Wind a Christmas movie?

by Anonymousreply 18December 22, 2019 7:57 PM

I didn't know this was a tradition.

by Anonymousreply 19December 22, 2019 8:18 PM

OP's photo looks just like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 22, 2019 8:31 PM

Where is the Darfur orphan when we need him?

by Anonymousreply 21December 22, 2019 8:41 PM

Nothing gets you in the holiday spirit like a 4-hour movie about profiteering off slave labor.

by Anonymousreply 22December 22, 2019 8:43 PM

It’s not a Christmas movie...

by Anonymousreply 23December 22, 2019 8:48 PM

Suck my cock R22

by Anonymousreply 24December 22, 2019 8:48 PM

Cancel R22!

by Anonymousreply 25December 22, 2019 9:02 PM

It what market was GWTW an Xmas flick? Not in my NYC metropolitan area 60-70-80s.

by Anonymousreply 26December 22, 2019 10:47 PM

Highly offensive racist movie. In fact most white movies are.

by Anonymousreply 27December 22, 2019 10:50 PM

I've seen it a few times, and then I wondered aside from the performances and production values, what was I supposed to get from it. Who was I supposed to root for. If the protagonists had their way and won the war, my ancestors would have remained enslaved. The fantasy of the happy, helpful slaves, content with their lives of service, and the benevolent plantation owners were just that...a fantasy. How benevolent would the slave masters be if the slaves decided to check out life up North. It would get ugly. I don't care how well fed the slaves were or that some might not have beaten bloody several days a week: THEY COULDN'T LEAVE. They were owned like animals and treated as breeding stock, babies being sold off like a litter of puppies. It was an evil institution that people were able to live with and go to war to protect.

I stopped feeling good about watching this movie or caring about the tribulations of its characters. I'd never tell anyone not to watch it. I just don't need to see it again. It was good for Hattie McDaniel. She won an Oscar. However, she wasn't allowed in the Atlanta theater where the movie held its premiere. At the Oscar ceremony, the hotel had to make a special exception just to allow her inside. And she certainly was not allowed to be seated with her other cast mates who had been nominated. They sat her as far in the back and out of sight as possible.

Frankly, I don't give a damn about this movie.

by Anonymousreply 28December 22, 2019 11:16 PM

This is my favorite movie and has been since I first saw it at the age of 10. I love it and always welcome its showings.

by Anonymousreply 29December 22, 2019 11:29 PM

Hattie was in a number of scenes so you'd think her cast members would have built some type of working relationship with her and demanded to give her a seat at their table, after all she was nominated for the Academy Award, but no they were content with separate but unequal. The movie is beautifully shot and an epic that I would watch the night before Thanksgiving. I adore Victorian 1860s gowns and architecture so I was swept away by the look. But I've stopped years ago as I too became disgusted by the theme and narrative of the story.

by Anonymousreply 30December 22, 2019 11:32 PM

Mammy is an icon!

by Anonymousreply 31December 23, 2019 12:05 AM

[quote] Hattie was in a number of scenes so you'd think her cast members would have built some type of working relationship with her and demanded to give her a seat at their table, after all she was nominated for the Academy Award, but no they were content with separate but unequal.

I thought Gable wanted to boycott the premiere because he was so mad about it.

by Anonymousreply 32December 23, 2019 12:11 AM

I just can't get over they make a such a pretty color movie way back during the Civil War! For example, it must have been dangerous to shoot while Atlanta burned!

by Anonymousreply 33December 23, 2019 12:11 AM

Gable did threaten not to go until McDaniel herself prevailed upon him to attend so there wouldn't be a scandal. I'm sure she also knew there would be much ill will in Hollywood if Gable refused to attend the premier on her behalf.

by Anonymousreply 34December 23, 2019 6:15 AM

Gone With The Wind was shown by TCM several weeks ago. And they will show it again almost certainly within the next two months. Like Lawrence of Arabia and Bridge Over the River Kwai it's on some sort of permanent rotation.

by Anonymousreply 35December 23, 2019 6:47 AM

Clark Gable and Hattie McDaniel were great friends before GWTW (this was in every way, as each respected the other both as a person and professional), and did what he could to cope with racism on set and elsewhere surrounding that film.

However there were somethings even the strongest white actors/cast members of GWTW and more importantly the studio just weren't going to shift.

Theatre in Atlanta were GWTW was being premiered was a deep south "Whites Only" place. There were no bathrooms, dressing rooms, entrances/exits ... nothing at all for African Americans. Nor where they going to change things just for one night regardless of how much Clark Gable protested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 23, 2019 7:35 AM

OP is in the UK, where theyd show this film during the holidays. He already said - twice - that hes not in the US

by Anonymousreply 37December 23, 2019 7:46 AM

For all her successes Hattie McDaniel's life was bittersweet. After GWTW and her Oscar win what would ordinarily have been a breath through for a white actor's film career; it was basically the end of Ms. McDaniel's. Warner Bros. didn't have much use for Hattie McDaniel and in end her contract was quietly bought out.

HmD did find a bit of success later with radio show Beulah, becoming one of the highest paid women ( and AAs) at that time for that medium. She later would land a spot on television show of same name, but then became ill with cancer so that was that.

In death HmD was still dissed; Hollywood Forever Cemetery (whites only) refused to have her remains. The Oscar HmD donated to Howard University was deemed "worthless" and has been "lost" for decades with university seemingly in no rush to find the thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 23, 2019 7:49 AM

It's because of Brexit.

by Anonymousreply 39December 23, 2019 8:13 AM

r36 I wasn't talking about the premier in Atlanta, I was talking about the Oscars in LA. Even then she was forced to the back of the room out of site of the cameras until called upon for her reward. Given her films financial success, she should have been treated with more respect.

by Anonymousreply 40December 23, 2019 8:26 AM

Thanks R37 and everyone for their posts and musings on the movie. I never suggested it was a Christmas movie, just that in the UK its usually been shown at this time of year with a lot of the other old classics.

by Anonymousreply 41December 23, 2019 8:55 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 23, 2019 10:50 AM

Youre welcome R41, OP. Now come sit by me and swallow my cock ...

by Anonymousreply 43December 23, 2019 11:26 AM

Hattie McDaniel was a treasure!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 23, 2019 11:34 AM

And she could sing!

This is about close to "Song of the South" as most of us will get; as Disney is never going to release that film again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 23, 2019 11:37 AM

Look, if you like Gone With the Wind in spite of the fact that it praises the days of slavery, fine. But don't pretend that isn't its point of view and don't pretend to be baffled as to why black people might not list it among their favorites.

by Anonymousreply 46December 23, 2019 12:07 PM

I've never seen the movie.

by Anonymousreply 47December 23, 2019 12:19 PM

It's m'y favorite book, my favorite movie and of course my favorite actress. Yes it's the ultimate Christmas movie. A few days ago, I was feeling very low, and I needed to grab my original copy and read a few pages of Scarlett at Tara after the war, fighting and scrambling to survive and protect her people. I needed that.

by Anonymousreply 48December 23, 2019 9:20 PM

R48 I love you! What's your favourite part of the book?

by Anonymousreply 49December 23, 2019 9:23 PM

Thanks OP. R49. Let's see... I love pre-war Atlanta...And Desolated Tara most I think. And Scarlett's bond to Dilcey after the war has always moved me deeply. I think that Dilcey is the most fascinating and interesting supporting character in the book. She's not in the movie of course , that would have been too complicated at the time. I love Will Benteen too. The book is so deep, layered and complex , I am sad that stupid people who have obviously not read it reduce it to a racist cliché. It's basically a story of alienation ans survival. For white women, enslaved people and ' trash 'people. All trapped in a world where they are kept totally powerless. It' s truly epic, breathtaking and profoundly tender. A lesson in survival. Scarlett was raised in a crazy world where she could never express her True thoughts and feeling. Who here can't relate to that ?

by Anonymousreply 50December 23, 2019 9:45 PM

[quote] Yes it's the ultimate Christmas movie.

Die Hard begs to disagree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 23, 2019 9:47 PM

R50 I agree, it works on so many levels and has a great many supporting characters who offer so much to the story. And Scarlet is the ultimate survivor. As Mammy said, The Lord didn't give her anything she couldn't endure.

by Anonymousreply 52December 23, 2019 10:03 PM

"Who was I supposed to root for. "

SCARLETT, silly. Think of what she was up against; she comes home from Atlanta to find her mother dead, her father deranged and all the slave labor gone, along with the family fortune. She has to start from the very bottom to save her family home and what's left of her family. In the book, she has to find a way to feed herself and her son and all the others at the plantation; Gerald, Mammy, Pork, Dilcey, Pork and Dilcey's baby, Prissy, her recovering from typhoid sisters Suellen and Careen, Melanie and her baby. All of them are depending on her. It's all up to her to take care of the house and the fields and to pay the taxes to keep Tara from being taken away from her. Will Benteen, a soldier who gets dumped off at Tara and eventually becomes Suellen's husband tells her that what's she'd done to save Tara and her family has been "two men's work." And that scene where she swears "as God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again" is meant to drive home the fact that Scarlett will try with every breath of her body to overcome the ravages of war and triumph over adversity. It's the plucky, determined Scarlett that you're supposed to root for.

by Anonymousreply 53December 23, 2019 10:17 PM

Anyone who still continues to support and watch this film is a dumb ass bitch who should be reckoned with cancer.

by Anonymousreply 54December 24, 2019 3:12 AM

R54, you're retarded. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 55December 24, 2019 3:33 AM

r54=blocked

by Anonymousreply 56December 24, 2019 7:46 AM

[quote]I am annoyed. It was on TCM one night (the evening of its 80th anniversary) but I feel years ago it would be on TV more frequently.

More frequently? The bi-monthly airings on TCM isn't enough for you?

And since when is GWTW a "Christmas tradition"?

by Anonymousreply 57December 24, 2019 7:53 AM

Since forever. Do you live in a cave ?' Gone with the wind' the book is a very complex work and is clearly condamning the confederation and the slavery, but the POV is the one of a privileged white woman who suffers (and is doomed to) through this social system while not even understanding nor accepting her own position. Anyone who calls it racist 1) has clearly not opened it 2) is dumb. The fact that it is set in the South during the civil war doesn't make it racist. The movie is another story. What makes it worth watching IMO is Madame Vivien Leigh's extraordinary performance, the gorgeous production and cinematography (that ages like wine) and a strong ensemble effort by the rest of the cast. I can't imagine what it's like watching it if you haven't read the book. Even Leigh's performance is wasted if you don't know the book, whereas if you do, it's a miracle.

by Anonymousreply 58December 24, 2019 9:08 AM

R56, You think I category that you have me blocked you fkin Mary. Grow some fkin balls you son of a whore.

by Anonymousreply 59December 24, 2019 11:19 AM

Even though GWTW made both cable and network television in November 1976; have never considered it a holiday sort of film.

Bells of Saint Mary's, It's a Wonderful Life, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Christmas in Connecticut and White Christmas , yes; but not GWTW. What does the American war between the states have to do with Christmas anyway?

by Anonymousreply 60December 24, 2019 12:13 PM

Because the movie looks, feels and smells like a fucking giant gorgeous 4 hours high Christmas Tree. It doesn't even need 'splaining. . And it' s on @every holiday or Christmas Day, all over the world.Do you guys love in a parrallel universe ???

by Anonymousreply 61December 24, 2019 1:14 PM

Live ! Not ' love'. Fuck autocorrect.

by Anonymousreply 62December 24, 2019 1:15 PM

Enough of your gaslighting, R61.

Although this claim is more interesting than the usual EST.

by Anonymousreply 63December 24, 2019 2:27 PM

Gaslight is a movie starring Ingrid Bergman R63. This is a GWTW appreciation thread. It's another movie

by Anonymousreply 64December 24, 2019 2:32 PM

I did not look for the airing but I saw it years ago. It's a okay but not great movie. The one viewing was enough.

by Anonymousreply 65April 5, 2020 8:18 PM

Has this epic been on lately?

by Anonymousreply 66May 26, 2020 4:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!