Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, tell me about 1970s New York City

Abe Beame as mayor. The sanitation strike. Gerald Ford refusing a bailout. How was it as a resident? What was average rent? Was it really as gritty as in the movies(The Warriors, Pelham One, Two, Three; etc.)

I was born in the early '80s, so I remember it during the Koch years when it was starting to get gentrified.

by Anonymousreply 35December 25, 2019 12:03 AM

Lots of rats and fires

by Anonymousreply 1December 22, 2019 6:25 PM

Is it true that you could easily find sex with whoever you wanted everywhere and anywhere? Did anyone here go to the trucks at the West Side Highway, the piers, Mineshaft, toilet, St. Mark's baths etc.?

I have elderbi friends who told me how they went to St. Mark's baths and the mineshaft but they were never infected with HIV as they were more into getting/giving oral sex, and mutual masturbation.

by Anonymousreply 2December 22, 2019 6:30 PM

It was a free for all. It was all about excess.

By the early 80s the party was over

by Anonymousreply 3December 22, 2019 6:51 PM

The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three was pretty accurate--one of the best films I've ever seen for what NYC felt like back then. The Warriors was a fantasy, though.

Other good films at showing how gritty and scary it was back then:

Where's Poppa

Desperate Characters

Claudine

Looking for Mr Goodbar

by Anonymousreply 4December 22, 2019 6:53 PM

drugs

by Anonymousreply 5December 22, 2019 6:53 PM

[quote]The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three was pretty accurate--one of the best films I've ever seen for what NYC felt like back then.

Throw in Taxi Driver too.

But at the same time: it also felt like the Woody Allen films of the era.

by Anonymousreply 6December 22, 2019 7:02 PM

Absolutely filthy. Everything.

by Anonymousreply 7December 22, 2019 7:28 PM

There is plenty of photo evidence out there; and yes it was that bad.

But "bad" is a state of mind I suppose. For many who grew up/lived through 1970's NYC they'd love to have it back (and or cherish the memories), over what city has become today.

Yes, the economy sucked, and city going down the toilet; but people manged to carry on and have fun. Films like Saturday Night Fever showed while yes, there was unemployment, crime, etc.. people generally did manage. You just did your best to keep out of harms way.

It cracks me to today waking down streets of city seeing everyone's faces buried in their phones, this even on subways... Back in 1970's those things would have been snatched out of your hands. And if you protested too much there was a very good chance you'd end up in hospital, or morgue.

This being said in some ways NYC needed to go through the upheavals of 1970's and into 1980's as the last gasp of manufacturing/industrial/shipping economy bit the dust for most part. Those jobs started leaving post WWII and weren't coming back, but people kept hoping in vain.... Meanwhile city did what it always had; spent money it didn't have, then borrowed to paper over things. This worked until banks said "enough"; and forced changes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 22, 2019 11:33 PM

More:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 22, 2019 11:35 PM

Piers 1976:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 22, 2019 11:43 PM

If anyone is looking for a last minute holiday gift along this theme; there is the book of photographs of 1970's "gay" NYC (mostly the piers) taken by Alvin Baltrop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 22, 2019 11:46 PM

NYC was a blast. Studio 54, Max's Kansas City, CBGB, Danceteria, Le Clique, the Mudd Club, GG’s Barnum Room, the FunHouse, Xenon....

And culture was booming : theatre....Lincoln Center...the art scene...the music scene

The crime and the filth were very real and oppressive but it was a wonderful place in many ways too.

by Anonymousreply 12December 22, 2019 11:55 PM

R1

Fires have gone; but rats have spread everywhere it seems.

In 1970's rat infestations were confined to place like Harlem, South Bronx, etc... Now seems as if entire city is infested.

by Anonymousreply 13December 23, 2019 12:07 AM

It was wild- fun- new creative stuff around every corner and the baby boom gay male generation swarmed in bars, clubs, and neighborhoods. And it wasn’t expensive. The rich mingled with the hot (Hurrah, Studio, Flamingo, 12 West, Fire Island Pines. Far as I’m concerned a world never to be repeated.

by Anonymousreply 14December 23, 2019 1:03 AM

Moved to Bensonhurst in 1977. This was right during the Son of Sam crisis. Everybody in the neighborhood was suspicious of me as a newcomer. Eventually worked out, and Bensonhurst was a wonderful place to live during that time. Tons on hot Italian guys...I still have the hots for Guidos. I did go to the Mineshaft once, but I was pretty heavy at the time and didn't get involved in any sex scenes. What I do remember however, there was a parking lot along Kings Highway, and the NBC Soap Opera studios were supposed to be located nearby. I lot of the guys who were in the soap operas would be cruising around at night looking for sex. If I remember properly, it was somewhere between Coney Island Avenue and Ocean Avenue. I moved away in 1977, and on my recent visits, the whole neighborhood seems to have gone to hell. Crummy, run down, not very friendly. I never heard the term "bridge and tunnel people" until recently, and I guess that pretty much describes what I was. I really felt I didn't belong in the Manhattan bars, and usually hung out in a bar on Montague Street in Brooklyn Heights called Danny's. Again, when I revisited, it was long gone, and I think replaced by a 7-11. I had heard of a gay disco that was supposed to be open on 20th Avenue in Bensonhurst, right across from the Sea Beach (N) Train Station, but never remember seeing it open.

by Anonymousreply 15December 23, 2019 1:16 AM

I really miss those days. And not just because I was young but because the city was filled with New Yorkers and tourists were a side business. And there was light. Even in midtown. Zoning laws were in place for a reason. The city is now a pretty window display from a distance but I would never want to go in it.

by Anonymousreply 16December 23, 2019 1:47 AM

Love all the insight. I forgot about Looking for Mr. Goodbar as someone has mentioned, that was another good movie.

Yes, there was a certain grittiness of the first time I saw it in the Koch years, but with that grittiness was also a charm about the city that is now lacking.

I haven't been in Manhattan in about 20 years, but seeing it on TV just looks so whitewashed and overpriced.

by Anonymousreply 17December 23, 2019 2:08 AM

I picture it like the film Crusing. Was it like that?

by Anonymousreply 18December 23, 2019 2:22 AM

Wasn't Looking For Mr. Goodbar set in Chicago not New York?

by Anonymousreply 19December 23, 2019 2:58 AM

Best movie, An Unmarried Woman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 23, 2019 4:56 AM

The soap opera studios were on Avenue M in South Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 21December 23, 2019 5:03 AM

If you want good street scenes of 1970's NYC (especially Manhattan) watch reruns of Kojak. So many scenes were shot around Mid-town, West Side, docks/piers, LES and East Village.

Watching those episodes it is amazing all the spaces that were parking lots in 1970's; especially in West Village, Chelsea, Tribeca, SoHo, along Sixth Avenue, etc... They are now largely all long gone or in process of being developed into whatever.

by Anonymousreply 22December 23, 2019 6:25 AM

R19

Yes, film Looking For Mr. Goodbar was shot in Chicago and L.A., but IIRC it like book was set in NYC. Book was based on a true crime story, murder of Roseann Quinn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 23, 2019 6:31 AM

R22, funny you mention Kojak because my parents were in the city once and my mom actually bumped into Telly Savalas while he was filming a scene for Kojak.

by Anonymousreply 24December 23, 2019 10:03 AM

R20

Thank you! Have just decided what film to watch over long holiday "weekend".

Movies! channel ran "An Unmarried Woman" a year or so ago, but only caught last half.

Lower Manhattan in 1970's (Tribeca, Soho, etc....) you could have gotten those lofts for very little money (buying or renting). There was of course nothing down there (friends knew in 1980's actually took train over to NJ to get groceries), and finding a taxi late night or even weekends could be a problem.

by Anonymousreply 25December 23, 2019 11:05 AM

I really wish there were picks of the gay bars back in those days. All I have ever found are grainy exterior shots.

by Anonymousreply 26December 23, 2019 11:13 AM

Sex, drugs, Studio 54, CBGBs, Times Square was a fabulous wreck. I had sex everywhere. Subway platforms, parks, doorways, the piers. My rent was $80/month for a West Village studio. As a young gay man, it was one big wonderland.

by Anonymousreply 27December 23, 2019 11:19 AM

My rent was $80/month???? OMFG!

by Anonymousreply 28December 23, 2019 11:35 AM

The 70s rocked for the gaylings.

by Anonymousreply 29December 23, 2019 11:38 AM

R15: I was pretty heavy as a younger man too but that never stopped me from getting lots of play from Latino boys who of course happen to be my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 30December 23, 2019 12:18 PM

[quote]My rent was $80/month???? OMFG!

Mine was $375, then $431.92, for two different one-bedrooms between on 10th and 11th between Fifth Ave and B'way.

by Anonymousreply 31December 23, 2019 12:42 PM

R8, r25 what is your aversion to the word “the”?

by Anonymousreply 32December 23, 2019 1:20 PM

Song and montage from 1970s NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 24, 2019 8:34 PM

If you love grit, you would have loved it. We had grit to spare. Newark and Camden were envious of our supply of grit. We exported grit to Oakland.

by Anonymousreply 34December 24, 2019 9:53 PM

Another big difference between then and now: the city had so many less people. Less tourism , less people on the sidewalks. Few hotels compared to today. Peaceful empty streets on summer weekends. It was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 35December 25, 2019 12:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!