Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anyone Take Turmeric/Curcumin?

I’m too confused. It’s supposed to be 95% but most brands don’t advertise the percentage online. What’s a good brand at a decent price? I’m on expensive prescriptive medication and can’t spend a lot on supplements. I also don’t want to take 3x a day. Two is the most I can take. It’s for lung inflammation.

by Anonymousreply 40May 13, 2021 8:01 AM

I sprinkle the herb in lots of things (soup, sauces, etc.) because it has a sort of chicken bouillon flavor. I believe it helps my joint pain.

by Anonymousreply 1December 21, 2019 11:43 PM

Turmeric is now the new "miracle" food. Tomorrow, it will be forgotten and we will move on to something else.

Eat vegetables and reduce meat and milk, if you want a long and healthy life. Stop relying on snake oil

by Anonymousreply 2December 21, 2019 11:44 PM

Doesn't work. Save your money. And why do people say 'too-meric'?

by Anonymousreply 3December 22, 2019 12:02 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 22, 2019 12:14 AM

We can't have curcumin because my radical "cut is ruined" roommate ("Mr. DickCheeseIsLife") says it sounds too much like "circumcision."

by Anonymousreply 5December 22, 2019 12:22 AM

Considering turmeric is the main spice in so much Indian food, one would think Indians never get cancer or heart attacks...but they do

by Anonymousreply 6December 22, 2019 12:23 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 22, 2019 12:41 AM

Curcumin inhibits COPD-like airway inflammation and lung cancer progression in mice

Recent studies have demonstrated that K-ras mutations in lung epithelial cells elicit inflammation that promotes carcinogenesis in mice (intrinsic inflammation). The finding that patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), an inflammatory disease of the lung, have an increased risk of lung cancer after controlling for smoking suggests a further link between lung cancer and extrinsic inflammation. Besides exposure to cigarette smoke, it is thought that airway inflammation in COPD is caused by bacterial colonization, particularly with non-typeable Hemophilus influenzae (NTHi). Previously, we have shown that NTHi-induced COPD-like airway inflammation promotes lung cancer in an airway conditional K-ras-induced mouse model. To further test the role of inflammation in cancer promotion, we administered the natural anti-inflammatory agent, curcumin, 1% in diet before and during weekly NTHi exposure. This significantly reduced the number of visible lung tumors in the absence of NTHi exposure by 85% and in the presence of NTHi exposures by 53%. Mechanistically, curcumin markedly suppressed NTHi-induced increased levels of the neutrophil chemoattractant keratinocyte-derived chemokine by 80% and neutrophils by 87% in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid. In vitro studies of murine K-ras-induced lung adenocarcinoma cell lines (LKR-10 and LKR-13) indicated direct anti-tumoral effects of curcumin by reducing cell viability, colony formation and inducing apoptosis. We conclude that curcumin suppresses the progression of K-ras-induced lung cancer in mice by inhibiting intrinsic and extrinsic inflammation and by direct anti-tumoral effects. These findings suggest that curcumin could be used to protract the premalignant phase and inhibit lung cancer progression in high-risk COPD patients.

by Anonymousreply 8December 22, 2019 12:42 AM

I take it every day because of the belief it can stave off Alzheimer’s. I figure even if it’s a crock of shit, I would rather do everything possible to avoid my genetic fate.

by Anonymousreply 9December 22, 2019 12:43 AM

A recent study published by the National Institute of Health (NIH) reported that curcumin, an active ingredient in turmeric, has a wide variety of benefits for people suffering with lung disease. Namely, the herb can help prevent and modulate inflammation in the airways, and it can help manage stress that is induced by a lack of oxygen in the body. Although turmeric is an herb commonly used in southern Asia, it is widely available in the United States as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 22, 2019 12:50 AM

Turmeric is also good to preserve memory when you age, but you have to take it (in food) with some cracked pepper.

At least one brand of supplement gives you both the curcumin and the pepper in the same bottle.

by Anonymousreply 11December 22, 2019 1:10 AM

A woman offering samples of a liquid turmeric supplement at Costco told me that she'd used it to get rid of gophers in her yard because they love to eat it and it causes them to explode.

Aside from issues of animal cruelty, I'm hesitant to ingest it myself (gophers are mammals, like us....). I declined the sample and didn't buy the product.

by Anonymousreply 12December 22, 2019 1:20 AM

OP, take a look at NatureMade turmeric (Amazon link). Dose is one capsule (500 mg) per day, ~ $7.50 for a bottle of 60 capsules. NatureMade is supposed to be a good brand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 22, 2019 2:58 AM

NIH says it sort of works in mice in late amounts...so we have decided it completely works in Humans!

by Anonymousreply 14December 22, 2019 12:24 PM

Really, R14?

That’s what you got from this “ A recent study published by the National Institute of Health (NIH) reported that curcumin, an active ingredient in turmeric, has a wide variety of benefits for people suffering with lung disease.”

by Anonymousreply 15December 23, 2019 2:43 PM

Then there’s this one

“Recent studies have shown that curcumin has a wide range of pharmacological activities, including anticarcinogenic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antiangiogenic activities“

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 23, 2019 2:44 PM

And this

“Curcumin exemplifies a promising natural anticancer agent for this purpose. This review primarily underscores the modulatory effect of curcumin on the cancer hallmarks. The focus is its anticancer effect in the complex pathways of breast carcinogenesis. Curcumin modulates breast carcinogenesis through its effect on cell cycle and proliferation, apoptosis, senescence, cancer spread and angiogenesis. Largely the NFkB, PI3K/Akt/mTOR, MAPK and JAK/STAT are the key signaling pathways involved. The review also highlights the curcumin mediated modulation of tumor microenvironment, cancer immunity, breast cancer stem cells and cancer related miRNAs. Using curcumin as a therapeutic and preventive agent in breast cancer is perplexed by its diverse biological activity, much of which remains inexplicable.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 23, 2019 2:47 PM

Be sure to go around pronouncing it like 'TOOMERIC' so you can sound like an ignorant dumb-ass.

by Anonymousreply 18December 23, 2019 4:12 PM

I can't speak to the medical claims, but it really does help if you get cold hands and feet during wintertime.

by Anonymousreply 19December 23, 2019 7:19 PM

R17, read the study closer. It's all been done in mice

by Anonymousreply 20December 23, 2019 8:00 PM

Nothing to do with humans just the new gluten free shit and low carb shit that some yoga instructor told them to do. You're fat cause you eat like a cow and sit on your ass.

by Anonymousreply 21December 23, 2019 8:41 PM

R20, no info about exploding gophers?

by Anonymousreply 22December 24, 2019 1:45 AM

Bumped - I started taking Turmeric capsules this week. It is supposed to help with depression with its anti-inflammatory properties.

So far I have noticed a considerable mood bounce. Could be placebo effect for now - but I'm pretty in tune with my body.

by Anonymousreply 23May 29, 2020 12:28 AM

[quote]“If you want anti-inflammatory effects you need to get 500 to 1,000 milligrams of curcuminoids per day.” When using the spice on its own, the common rule of thumb is that there are 200 milligrams of curcumin in one teaspoon of fresh or ground turmeric (though it varies a bit depending on the source and origins).

That's a lot to consume each day.

by Anonymousreply 24May 29, 2020 12:34 AM

I think it helps with blood sugar as well

by Anonymousreply 25May 29, 2020 12:40 AM

I keep fresh turmeric in the freezer and then grate some into smoothies. But for it to be effective, you have to soak it in hot water for a few minutes first.

by Anonymousreply 26May 29, 2020 12:44 AM

Qunol 1000 mg - you can get them from amazon. Two soft gels is 1000mg.

by Anonymousreply 27May 29, 2020 1:12 AM

OP - you can get powdered Tumeric off of Amazon - use it to make Golden Milk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 29, 2020 1:16 AM

Here's a relatively affordable turmeric supplements 3000 mg , 90 capsules for $9.99 , which is just 10 cents a day. It's gotten good reviews too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 29, 2020 1:18 AM

Some people take the capsule...I actually add it to tea and that works well.

Supposedly if you are taking the capsule it's better to pick a brand that also has black pepper, which apparently aids in absorption.

by Anonymousreply 30May 29, 2020 1:19 AM

the Indians love it!

by Anonymousreply 31May 29, 2020 1:20 AM

BUMP for turmeric success stories.

Joints?

Memory?

Depression?

by Anonymousreply 32May 12, 2021 8:23 PM

Buy the whole raw roots (they resemble baby carrots in dark skins), but wear gloves when preparing them to avoid staining your hands.

by Anonymousreply 33May 12, 2021 8:35 PM

R7 that is good news because I was kept awake at night by mice coughing in the walls, I will leave out a dish of curcumin in the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 34May 12, 2021 8:40 PM

Have eaten it for years because my late partner liked Indian food but couldn't do overly spicey food as his health worsened. I always noticed it, along with the cumin and saffron, always helped my colitis and inflammation and it tasted good. No clue in the late 90's about it. He made some chicken thighs without skin (had to avoid it) and marinated them in lemon juice, turmeric, Greek yogurt, and his own garlic paste. Then he would stick them in the oven or on the grill. Amazing taste. He would wash basmati rice 5 times he bought from Persian markets, boil water and then put in the rice. In the meantime, a dash of ghee was warmed with 2 threads of saffron. When the rice was nice and done, he would put in goat butter and mix it well and put the saffron mixture on top in a line and keep it on a low flame until the bottom was crispy and buttery and serve it upside down with sumac and the succulent chicken on top. My own version is a much less tasty version.

by Anonymousreply 35May 12, 2021 9:51 PM

None if those studies have been implemented, it's all in vitro and in mice. Call me when starts being used in medication. Turmeric has been around for thousands of years and yet no western medicine is using it.

by Anonymousreply 36May 12, 2021 10:13 PM

What about anecdotal reports of joint pain relief? Even if mood uplift?

I want to believe!

by Anonymousreply 37May 12, 2021 10:24 PM

I took it for tennis elbow. Worked in three days. I told other people about it and they all thanked !e and said it worked wonders.

by Anonymousreply 38May 12, 2021 10:35 PM

Learn to make your own golden paste. It is just turmeric, oil and black pepper. It is extremely effective.

by Anonymousreply 39May 12, 2021 10:53 PM

I just think it tastes good and add it to various foods. Have also discovered a turmeric tea imported from Turkey and add a drop of honey to it. It sure tastes great.

by Anonymousreply 40May 13, 2021 8:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!