Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My Three Sons

I get MeTV in my cable package, which shows a lot of vintage TV shows. I just started watching some episodes of My Three Sons , which I vaguely remember watching as a kid. The shows that are currently airing are from season 12. I didn't realize that MTS ran so long. Was the show really that popular? I know when it started out, Fred MacMurray was a widower with 3 sons (Mike, Robbie and Chip) and William Frawley was his father-in-law who became their live-in housekeeper. By season 12, Frawley was long gone, and you would never know that Fred had an eldest son.

I'm surprised at the longevity of MTS, because it seems to have a real "dated" quality to it. I can watch much-earlier TV shows like I Love Lucy, Leave It To Beaver and Andy Griffith and enjoy them over and over. But the success of My Three Sons mystifies me. Who else remembers this show?

by Anonymousreply 232December 31, 2019 9:32 AM

I do, MOTHER FUCKER!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 21, 2019 2:34 AM

I HATED that show. My parents had some absurd notion that my brothers and I should be as sweet and obedient as the Douglas boys.

by Anonymousreply 2December 21, 2019 2:50 AM

Never could get into My Three Sons reruns as a kid. It was just very meh. Fred MacMurray was dull, the sons were dull, William Demerest was annoying. For some reason they never showed the earlier seasons with Fred Mertz or hottie Tim Considine.

by Anonymousreply 3December 21, 2019 3:01 AM

They must have really run out of ideas by season 12. Today had Steve's identical cousin from Scotland coming to America to find a bride. Identical cousins must have been a big thing in 60s TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 4December 21, 2019 3:04 AM

Once attended a thanksgiving dinner and was told that one of the my three sons actors was seated next to me .I think it was the red headed one Stan Livingston. After a few glasses of wine I turned to him and said " I heard Fred MacMurray was a cheap SOB" He laughed and responded "Ya heard right".

by Anonymousreply 5December 21, 2019 3:10 AM

The show has always had a subdued, boring feel. It's as if all the cast members were drugged.

by Anonymousreply 6December 21, 2019 3:12 AM

Chip... Chipper,,, the Chipster…. always wanted to slap him.

by Anonymousreply 7December 21, 2019 3:12 AM

All I can really remember about it is the opening title sequence with the tapping animated shoes.

by Anonymousreply 8December 21, 2019 3:14 AM

It was so unfunny and so square.

This is one of my favorite bits... the Douglas family shows how hip they are by using an impromptu family musical ensemble to perform the latest groovy sounds of swinging London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 21, 2019 3:27 AM

[quote] They must have really run out of ideas by season 12. Today had Steve's identical cousin from Scotland coming to America to find a bride. Identical cousins must have been a big thing in 60s TV shows.

Yes, because they're cousins. Identical cousins all the way. One pair of matching bookends, different as night and day. Still they're cousins. Identical cousins and you'll find they laugh alike, walk alike, and at times even talk alike.

by Anonymousreply 10December 21, 2019 3:29 AM

R10 If you knew that without looking it up you 1) are old and 2) need help

by Anonymousreply 11December 21, 2019 3:32 AM

R10, thanks for injecting The Patty Duke Show here.

by Anonymousreply 12December 21, 2019 3:32 AM

r11: And you are Blocked.

by Anonymousreply 13December 21, 2019 3:37 AM

OP They canceled the show just three years after Dodie joined the show. Imagine that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 21, 2019 3:42 AM

Fun fact: the actress who played Dodie was Leif Garrett's sister

by Anonymousreply 15December 21, 2019 3:49 AM

Doesn't excuse her poor acting.

identical cousins do exist. had a grad school classmate with one. After she dumped husband #1, he wound up seeing (but not marrying) the identical cousin, who lived in Germany!

by Anonymousreply 16December 21, 2019 3:51 AM

Dodie, baby butch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 21, 2019 3:53 AM

Don Grady (Robbie) was sort of a cutie but always had a "lizard" man look. Great ass though until he became borderline anorexic (cocaine habit?).

by Anonymousreply 18December 21, 2019 3:53 AM

Dodie tormenting poor Dottie Hinkle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 21, 2019 3:58 AM

I loved the show when I was a kid. I also thought it was very gay, what with all men in the house for many seasons, and I assumed "Uncle Charlie" was Fred McM's lover. I'm fairly certain that is why I am attracted to the clean cut wholesome kinda preppy Douglas boys type.

by Anonymousreply 20December 21, 2019 4:02 AM

OP The oldest Douglas brother, Mike, left the show in 1965 after five seasons, And even though the show ran seven more seasons, Mike was only mentioned a few times.

Meanwhile, they had to adopt another son so they would have Three Sons. Enter Barry Livingston as Ernie.

FYI Barry Livingston was the real life brother of Stanley Livingston who played Chip. So, wrap your head around this -- they hired Chip's real life brother to play his fictional adopted brother.

by Anonymousreply 21December 21, 2019 4:02 AM

The kid who played Ernie wrote a book about his acting experiences. The other Livingston brother and it was a good read. Most of the time Fred wasn't there, he had the same deal Brian Keith had on Family Affair. The other actors acted opposite a mop when Fred wasn't around. He also spoke about how cheap he was.

by Anonymousreply 22December 21, 2019 4:03 AM

Thanks for the heads up, R22. I just ordered the book.

by Anonymousreply 23December 21, 2019 4:11 AM

[quote]I'm surprised at the longevity of MTS, because it seems to have a real "dated" quality to it.

Season one is wonderful. All down hill after season two.

by Anonymousreply 24December 21, 2019 4:17 AM

Three decades ahead of Seinfeld, it was truly the first sitcom about nothing.

by Anonymousreply 25December 21, 2019 4:19 AM

The show was just easy watching and was NEVER novel or titillating at all. I only saw it in syndication, but at least on a daily basis verses weekly - it was somewhat more palatable. The last 3 or 4 seasons were pretty horrible. Literally EVERY actor was phoning it in and that obnoxious "Polly" who was always trying to rape and marry Chip. Ughhhhh...

by Anonymousreply 26December 21, 2019 4:23 AM

All you fags wanted to BE Katie Douglas. (Tina Cole)

You wanted to dress like her, sing like her, have her groovy hair and have Don Grady's ass babies

Just admit it

by Anonymousreply 27December 21, 2019 4:48 AM

Shove triplets through one of my orifices? No thank you.

by Anonymousreply 28December 21, 2019 5:07 AM

Come on R27, if that tiny little bubble-butted shortie Don Grady were to have sex with a man - he would DEFINITELY HAVE BEEN THE BOTTOM.

by Anonymousreply 29December 21, 2019 5:22 AM

don grady was the cute one, I had the pleasure of watching the landing of Apollo on the moon, summer of 69 with him, and a man who headed a record company from whom he wanted a possible record contract. don was hot....

by Anonymousreply 30December 21, 2019 5:34 AM

It's a TV-watching comfort memory from the era. I remember liking and watching a lot on...Sunday nights in its first-run primetime slot, I believe? I thought Tina Cole and her blonde-version Diana Ross bouffant Supremes flip hairstyle were so cool, plus I knew that she was one of The King Sisters family singers. Like posters above echoed, it was never mind-blowing television--its vibe, acting and character interactions always reminded me of a family comedy sitcom version of the late-1960s color reboot of the police series "Dragnet." Don Grady--definitely some really dreamy stuff. And I liked Dodie, her mom, and later Polly with her big '70s-yarn ponytails. I just really remember only the later color seasons. In perspective, there were relatively so many fewer TV network and programming options during that era compared with now; it can sort of make you understand better in retrospect how such a show as "My Three Sons" lasted and remained popular for so long.

by Anonymousreply 31December 21, 2019 5:47 AM

I only watched my 3 sons for don grady, he was so very cute.... later years with Bub sucked.

by Anonymousreply 32December 21, 2019 5:51 AM

[quote]later years with Bub sucked.

That's impossible, as Bub (William Frawley) was only in the early years.

by Anonymousreply 33December 21, 2019 7:16 AM

You know Uncle Charlie popped at least one of those boicherries.

With that voice, you knew he was a verbal top.

by Anonymousreply 34December 21, 2019 7:38 AM

[quote]I thought Tina Cole and her blonde-version Diana Ross bouffant Supremes flip hairstyle were so cool, plus I knew that she was one of The King Sisters family singers.

I had a HUGE gay boy crush on Tina Cole! My city had a telethon every year to benefit cerebral palsy. One year she was a featured guest. I waited hours for the opportunity to meet her and have her sign my autograph book. I brought it to school the next day, I was so very proud of it. I am now friends with her on Facebook and get regular posts about her and the rest of the King Cousins. Her cousin Cam, who was one of the younger "King Kids" is an out gay man and is the keeper of the King Family history. And yes, I am fully aware of how very "Mary!" my post is.

by Anonymousreply 35December 21, 2019 9:59 AM

R5, He would invite people to lunch, but then not even reach for his wallet when the bill came.

by Anonymousreply 36December 21, 2019 10:08 AM

Bub was better than William Demerest. Demerest always seemed like an old sailor to me.

by Anonymousreply 37December 21, 2019 10:59 AM

Saw repeats as a child. I distinctly remember Chip (the youngest) and his big ass.

by Anonymousreply 38December 21, 2019 10:59 AM

Back in the '70s through mid-'80s local stations only showed the reruns that were shot in color. They thought families that had just shelled out for a color TV would have zero interest in anything that was black and white. So no Mike, no Bub. Then Nick at Nite started showing the black and white episodes and the whole secret previous lives of the Douglas clan were revealed. Chip had blonde hair, no Ernie, no grouchy Uncle Charley. The scales fell from our eyes.

To answer OP, I think think the show ever set the world on fire, but you have to remember, back then there were three TV networks. No cable or satellite, no VCRs, no streaming, no nothing. For electronic entertainment, most Americans had their choice of shows on one of the Big Three. This captive audience meant that shows stayed on LOOOOOONG after they should have gracefully departed the airwaves. See also: everything Lucille Ball did post-divorce.

by Anonymousreply 39December 21, 2019 11:15 AM

The show was very popular when it originally ran. I loved it. My young loins burned for Robbie.

by Anonymousreply 40December 21, 2019 11:25 AM

Tina had SUCH a 60s look. I loved it. I remember as a kid being enthralled with her hair. And Don was indeed hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 21, 2019 11:25 AM

It's the 3rd longest running (live action) sitcom after Ozzie & Harriett & It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

by Anonymousreply 42December 21, 2019 11:29 AM

I remember one of the show's television sponsors was Hunt's Catsup.

They made a commercial featuring the boys sucking tomato inside an empty catsup bottle by using a lighted match.

Does anyone else remember this bit of1960s television advertising trivia?

by Anonymousreply 43December 21, 2019 11:30 AM

Love it, R35. As odious as much of social media is, it is fun to be able to connect with our old faves, who were incredibly remote as stars back then. Can you imagine going back in time and telling your young self, “One day you and Tina will be friends on Facebook!” It sounds so strange, makes you wonder what marvels the future holds, like virtual reality friendships?

by Anonymousreply 44December 21, 2019 11:32 AM

There must have been so much jizz in that household.

by Anonymousreply 45December 21, 2019 11:40 AM

Barry Livingston (Ernie) been a busy beaver since his M3S days. He has a resume most jobbing actors should envy. Can't say the same for his brother Stanley (Chip) who has done considerably less work in the industry since M3S.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 21, 2019 11:41 AM

A commercial mentioning the "big tomato in the bottle."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 21, 2019 11:45 AM

Another one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 21, 2019 11:47 AM

I watched this in reruns because it was between Brady Bunch and Gilligans Island on the local station. I can’t remember any of the plots and the clothes and hair were very dated looking by the early 80s. In retrospect those 60s looks are better than 80s hair and fashion.

by Anonymousreply 49December 21, 2019 12:09 PM

Don Grady was devoon! Before becoming Don Grady he was Don Agrati on The Mickey Mouse Club. He was Lani O'Grady's (Eight Is Enough) brother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 21, 2019 1:15 PM

Stanley Livingston is a tiny little thing here between his real brother Stanley and Don Grady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 21, 2019 1:16 PM

Sorry, that should be "Barry Livingston is a tiny little thing".

by Anonymousreply 52December 21, 2019 1:17 PM

I love you R35 for all of your Mary!-ness!

by Anonymousreply 53December 21, 2019 1:50 PM

I only saw this show in reruns and it was my father's favorite. When it was on he'd sit and watch it while berating his own kids for being garbage and no Goddamn good compared to those TV kids.

by Anonymousreply 54December 21, 2019 2:08 PM

Unwatchable in its later years. The first season was the best--I remember seeing the reruns on Nick at Nite--complete with Chevy footage in the closing credits. The first season was written well with a lot written and directed by Peter Tewksbury. Unfortunately he didn't do things on the cheap and they brought in hacks for the rest of the show. I think they did the identical cousin thing more than once. Frawley was less annoying than Demerest, but became uninsurable.

Ozzie & Harriet was the original show about nothing and began well before this one. Barry Livingston, btw, had a recurring role on Ozzie and Harriet. He had a lock on funny looking but likable kid roles.

by Anonymousreply 55December 21, 2019 2:11 PM

I brought some desperately needed glamour to the endeavor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 21, 2019 2:22 PM

R51, Barry is short...but...he is sitting in a chair in that pic and Stanley and Don are standing.

by Anonymousreply 57December 21, 2019 2:40 PM

You can all suck it.

by Anonymousreply 58December 21, 2019 2:47 PM

Tim Considine was nice looking. Didn't he go back to the Mouseketeers with Gaysketeer Tommy Kirk?

by Anonymousreply 59December 21, 2019 2:59 PM

R58, Not only did Fred never win an Academy Award, he never received a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 60December 21, 2019 3:00 PM

How come Don was handsome and his sister was SO ugly? How's that possible

by Anonymousreply 61December 21, 2019 3:04 PM

Because they had the same face, R61. It didn't look as good on a chick.

by Anonymousreply 62December 21, 2019 3:06 PM

It was a hot because there was only three networks. ABC< CBS & NBC and a few independent stations. NY had PBS, WOR Channel 9 and WPIX 11 butt hey didn't have original programs so there wasn't much of a choice. Plus Fred MacMurray was a movie star. Though he didn't like to work have a three day work day. Watch how little he is in each episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 21, 2019 3:12 PM

Here's Italian Stallion Don Agrati in the Burbank High School yearbook.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 21, 2019 3:18 PM

Beverly Garland invested her money in a successful hotel in LA. Her sons run it now. Tina Cole was married to Beverly's son and they had three kids. Beverly also hosted the first Hollywood Show autograph shows at the hotel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 21, 2019 3:18 PM

It's amazing how much more memorable the opening sequence were (animated tapping shoes and that music) than the show itself.

I must have watched it a lot (and I'm sure my young proto-gay self was mostly watching for the couple of relatively hot guys but who knows), but I literally have almost no memory of what the show was ABOUT. No plots, barely even the people. I remember Uncle Charley, Chip, and the Dad, mostly because they were annoying.

by Anonymousreply 66December 21, 2019 3:23 PM

Ah yes, the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn in N. Hollywood. Somewhat nicer (and more expensive) than most Holiday Inns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 21, 2019 3:25 PM

The Garland inn has a nice patio for brunch.

by Anonymousreply 68December 21, 2019 3:27 PM

Never knew Beverly was Tina's Mother-In-Law until I looked her up.I always confused Tina with Mark Harman's sister Kristin Harmon who was married to Ricky Nelson.

by Anonymousreply 69December 21, 2019 3:31 PM

The BG....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 21, 2019 3:34 PM

I know I ask for each and every one of us, r64. WHET to Elaine Guy???

by Anonymousreply 71December 21, 2019 3:40 PM

Funny how Don back then had to Anglicize his "ethnic" Italian name.

by Anonymousreply 72December 21, 2019 3:46 PM

R71 I wonder if this is her. Famous for 1969's "Naked Angels."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 21, 2019 3:48 PM

Who had a bigger dick, Don or Burt Ward?

by Anonymousreply 74December 21, 2019 3:48 PM

The only credit for anyone named Elaine Guy in IMDb is this schlock from 1969. I have no idea if it's the same Elaine Guy who went to high school with Dan Grady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 21, 2019 3:48 PM

[quote] Funny how Don back then had to Anglicize his "ethnic" Italian name.

Why did Lani Irish-ize hers?

by Anonymousreply 76December 21, 2019 3:50 PM

Elaine Guy played.....Ginny.

by Anonymousreply 77December 21, 2019 3:51 PM

What the hell did Bev say to Miss Kitty???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 21, 2019 3:52 PM

R76 You mean Lanita. She probably wanted to set herself apart from her brother. "Now I'M the one in a top-rated network family series!" Mama and Papa Agrati must have been proud of their two kids.

by Anonymousreply 79December 21, 2019 3:57 PM

Young Don must have hated putting on those stupid mouse ears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 21, 2019 4:13 PM

I was fuckin all the lil bastards!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 21, 2019 4:28 PM

If it wasn't for Nick at Nite in the 90s, I never would have known that Mike existed or that the show as in black and white. For some reason they didn't syndicate the early years of the show, at least not in my market.

by Anonymousreply 82December 21, 2019 4:41 PM

What was weird was that they married off Robbie, Chip AND Steve in the later years--I think for a lot of Americans it became like seeing their own family members getting married.

It was also weird that much of the humor of the show just depended on Uncle Charlie being cranky. Who would want to see that in real life? It would be like a horrible Thanksgiving that never ended.

by Anonymousreply 83December 21, 2019 4:43 PM

I was raped by the three son of a bitches and I’ll never forget it.

by Anonymousreply 84December 21, 2019 4:47 PM

Here Barry Livingston talks about working with Frawley and Demorest, who hated each other's guts. Frawley was a drunk, but a relatively happy drunk. Demorest was sober, but not much fun to be around.

What Barry didn't mention and something I read about long ago was that after Frawley was written out (due to his declining health) he kept showing back up at the studio repeatedly, some said because he thought they would eventually get rid of Demorest and take him back. It got so bad the studio had to ban him from the lot, except they didn't tell him. The day he showed up and was told he was no longer allowed on the property was not a good day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85December 21, 2019 5:20 PM

Lucy had him back for a cameo (same lot). I suspect the keep returning thing was an urban myth.

by Anonymousreply 86December 21, 2019 5:29 PM

Nope, he kept showing back up on the M3S set, not just coming onto the lot. The article I read said it got so bad he and Demorest almost came to blows at least once as Frawley would waste no opportunity to antagonize Demorest when and if he got the chance.

by Anonymousreply 87December 21, 2019 5:34 PM

Frawley's contract with I Love Lucy had a clause written in that provided for his removal from the series if he didn't keep his well known drinking and work related deficiencies under control.

[quote] Both Ball and Arnaz agreed it would be great to have Frawley, a motion picture veteran, appear as Fred Mertz. Less enthusiastic were CBS executives, who warned of Frawley's frequent drinking and instability. Arnaz warned Frawley about the network's concerns, telling him that if he was late to work, arrived drunk, or was unable to perform because of something other than legitimate illness more than once, he would be written out of the show. A slightly different version of this conversation holds that Arnaz told Frawley he would get three chances. The first screw-up would be tolerated, the second would result in a severe reprimand, and the third would result in his being fired.

by Anonymousreply 88December 21, 2019 5:40 PM

It's hard these days to understand how much TV watching used to involve NOT actually watching. Unless you were watching public TV, programming was heavily loaded with commercials that were if anything even more stupid and obnoxious than they are now, and the quality of picture and sound were terrible by today's standards. As often as not you'd be walking in and out of the room, talking to other people, and doing other things while the program was on. And most of the time you saw a sitcom like "My Three Sons," it wasn't in prime time but in reruns during the day or on weekends. You also have to remember that TV was free. Other than your initial investment in the set and maybe an arial on the roof, you weren't paying anything for what you were watching, so there was less of that subtext of having to watch it because you'd paid for it.

by Anonymousreply 89December 21, 2019 5:40 PM

TIna Cole was one of the King Family Singers, a group of blond boring singers who, for some reason, had a number of specials during the 60s. If I'm not mistaken, they might have had a weekly tv show for a while. It was the blondest, blandest, whitest variety show you can imagine.

by Anonymousreply 90December 21, 2019 6:22 PM

Tina getting her groove on singing the Beatles with the Four King Cousins (she's the shortest of them).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91December 21, 2019 6:33 PM

It depresses me to think of some middle-aged dad in small-town Missouri in 1969 watching that clip at r91 and being turned on by those tight hideous outfits. "I'd like to peel those purple slacks off of her!" You know that was the whole idea behind them.

by Anonymousreply 92December 21, 2019 6:47 PM

Tina Cole did add some charm to MTS, but Beverly Garland and Ronne Troup (who played Polly) added nothing, and Dodie was absolutely unbearable. As a kid I would turn the show off if she were on it. She always spoke as if she could not breathe through her nose.

by Anonymousreply 93December 21, 2019 6:49 PM

Beverly Garland was an easy to cast wife--she's played it multiple times, but not a great actress. Her early work was as a scream queen in tight sweaters in Roger Corman films. Like Lyle talbot, she was a bland but not unwelcome presence who probably had some very interesting stories to tell.

by Anonymousreply 94December 21, 2019 7:22 PM

In his book Barry Livingston talks about how Frawley would go to the set of Here's Lucy and throw something when Vivian had a line to read and then run off laughing. He sounds like a hoot.

I liked Beverly on MTS, i thought she added to the show, Dodie not so much.

by Anonymousreply 95December 21, 2019 7:27 PM

R55 yes, Ozzie and Harriet, was the original show about nothing, but it was also fun and entertaining. I have many of their episodes on DVD and my hard drive, and I enjoy and watch them. But, My Three Sons, is abut nothing and is boring as shit.

by Anonymousreply 96December 21, 2019 7:32 PM

It was one of the most popular tv shows of all time.

by Anonymousreply 97December 21, 2019 7:51 PM

Our entertainment tastes back in those days were far more innocent than those of today. In those days TV sitcom married couples were not even allowed to be seen getting into the same bed. They always had to sleep in twin beds. The sexual revolution had not taken place yet.

by Anonymousreply 98December 21, 2019 8:59 PM

Vance and Frawley did hate each other's guts. Hell, he was old enough to be her father. When she heard he had died she said "CHAMPAGNE FOR EVERYBODY!!".

by Anonymousreply 99December 21, 2019 9:09 PM

I don't think you were able to marry into that family unless you contractually agreed to "sing" and "dance".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100December 21, 2019 9:27 PM

I love Barry Livingston's voice. So crisp and clear. He seems like he's probably a good decent guy.

by Anonymousreply 101December 21, 2019 9:35 PM

Don Grady was so beautiful...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102December 21, 2019 9:41 PM

[quote]Frawley would waste no opportunity to antagonize Demorest when and if he got the chance.

Can't say I'm surprised. Nope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103December 21, 2019 9:56 PM

I watched for Tim Considine, whom I considered hotter than Don Grady. I'd been watching him since Mickey Mouse, Spin & Marty, and Swamp Fox. Just a few weeks ago, I caught a guest episode of Medical Center in which he played a campus hippie protester.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104December 21, 2019 9:58 PM

A tribute to Miss Ronne Troup

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105December 21, 2019 10:00 PM

Ronne Troup was on Knots Landing as the nanny to Meg.

by Anonymousreply 106December 21, 2019 10:04 PM

Reunion!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107December 21, 2019 10:19 PM

R78 that's NOT Miss Kitty that Beverly Garland is fighting.....it's the 50 foot woman herself, Allison Hayes, in the Roger Corman oater GUNSLINGER.

The six day shoot encountered so much rain and mud that Allison asked: "Who do I have to fuck to get off this picture?"

by Anonymousreply 108December 21, 2019 11:01 PM

I really like this song!

These chicks really have a Nancy Sinatra influence in their makeup and head movements.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109December 21, 2019 11:15 PM

I sit corrected, r108.

by Anonymousreply 110December 21, 2019 11:20 PM

Tim Considine was married to Miss Beadle from Little House on the Prairie for a few years. Not sure if it was before or after she was fucking Jim Morrison

by Anonymousreply 111December 21, 2019 11:20 PM

R105, she reminds me of a few other actresses, including bits of Meg Ryan and Peggy Lipton. Cute.

by Anonymousreply 112December 22, 2019 12:01 AM

I remember Tina Cole from the show always concerned with casseroles, either making or burning one.

by Anonymousreply 113December 22, 2019 12:02 AM

What everyone has been saying about how unmemorable the show's plots were is true. I know every cast member, but virtually no plots they were involved in. One exception: when Ernie was adopted, it was handled very well. Does anyone know if Mike ever got mentioned again once the character got married and left town?

It's so strange that after My Three Sons everyone thought MacMurray was typecast as the perfect dad. Although he did play nice guys in movies (The Egg and I), his most memorable roles cast him as a real bastard (Double Indemnity, The Caine Mutiny, The Apartment).

by Anonymousreply 114December 22, 2019 12:09 AM

Above it was said that Mike was mentioned a few times after leaving the show.

by Anonymousreply 115December 22, 2019 12:16 AM

R109 Thanks for posting, I like it too! Young people today (I know, ok boomer) shouldn't dismiss the corny, earnest stuff of the 60s. It was all very innocent and sincere and fun. We watched it and more or less accepted it. Nothing wrong with blondes.

by Anonymousreply 116December 22, 2019 1:05 AM

His four Disney films Shaggy Dog 1959, Absent Minded Professor 1961, Son of Flubber 1963 and Happiest Millionaire 1967 probably did as much for his goody-two loafers image as MTS.

by Anonymousreply 117December 22, 2019 1:15 AM

[quote]Funny how Don back then had to Anglicize his "ethnic" Italian name.

Fellow Musketeer Annette Funicello had no problem with her last name.

And for that matter neither did his TV brother Tom Considine.

by Anonymousreply 118December 22, 2019 3:01 AM

*Mouseketeer

by Anonymousreply 119December 22, 2019 3:02 AM

As others noted, the most memorable thing was the opening sequence. Here it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120December 22, 2019 3:24 AM

oops I meant not bub but the w demarest character: sucked ,, the later years sucked w/o fred mertz.

by Anonymousreply 121December 22, 2019 3:43 AM

anyone else hang out with don hot grady? I DID !!!

by Anonymousreply 122December 22, 2019 3:44 AM

i only watched it for tim c and don g.....not the other fug sons or that hack Demarest. Frawley was fab in all he did, he was a grouch but funny as fuk. mcmurrary seemed fake and boring and useless.

by Anonymousreply 123December 22, 2019 3:51 AM

What was Bub's relationship to the family? Was he an Uncle like Uncle Charlie? And whose uncle was Uncle Charlie? Steve's?

by Anonymousreply 124December 22, 2019 3:55 AM

i also met ricky nelson and his wife, pierre salinger ,eartha kitt and Bianca jagger at the daisy, a club in hwood in the sixtys….hella fun. ricky got drunk as fuk

by Anonymousreply 125December 22, 2019 4:18 AM

Bub was he father of Steve's dead wife, and thus the boys' maternal grandfather. Uncle Charley was Bub's brother.

by Anonymousreply 126December 22, 2019 4:19 AM

[quote] I remember Tina Cole from the show always concerned with assholes, either making or burning one.

That's how I originally read this post--I was very confused for a second.

by Anonymousreply 127December 22, 2019 4:24 AM

[quote] Does anyone know if Mike ever got mentioned again once the character got married and left town?

Just a VERY few times.

by Anonymousreply 128December 22, 2019 4:24 AM

You would think they would have brought Mike back for a few guest spots.

by Anonymousreply 129December 22, 2019 4:59 AM

mike and fred fought over the same groupies......fukd up

by Anonymousreply 130December 22, 2019 5:28 AM

[quote]Tina getting her groove on singing the Beatles with the Four King Cousins (she's the shortest of them).

Another King Cousin is Liza Rey Butler (or as I call her "the very tall one"in the back"). She is a renowned harpist and mother to Win and Will Butler of Arcade Fire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131December 22, 2019 6:17 AM

The posters upthead are correct in saying that the plots were pretty forgettable. I watched the show regularly in its last 4 or 5 years. I honestly can't remember much of what happened. I mostly remember how annoying Dodie was. But I did like Beverly Garland.

But I do remember one episode where Robbie and Katie went back to Bryant Park for his high school reunion or something like that. Robbie was really looking forward to showing off his hometown to his wife, but everything had changed since the family moved to Los Angeles and Robbie was having a miserable time. Finally, as they are leaving town, Katie has the taxi driver go by the old Douglas house, which still looked exactly the same. That made Robbie feel better.

by Anonymousreply 132December 22, 2019 6:42 AM

Some interesting trivia about the show with the Wikipedia entry

[quote]At the end of the 1970-1971 season (the show's 11th year), My Three Sons was still garnering healthy ratings. By the spring of 1971, it had finished in 19th place. A 1971 television pilot with Don Grady and Tina Cole called Three of a Kind, then retitled Robbie—about Robbie, Katie, and the triplets moving to San Francisco—was filmed but not picked up as a series.[5] The final episode of the 1970-1971 season, "After the Honeymoon", actually set up the premise for this pilot. The guest stars were Richard X. Slattery and Pat Carroll, who were featured as the landlords of the apartment block into which Robbie and Katie move. However, Don Grady had informed the producers of his intention to leave the series and pursue a new full-time career as a composer, which he ultimately did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133December 22, 2019 6:47 AM

Don Grady should have posed for Playgirl.

by Anonymousreply 134December 22, 2019 6:57 AM

R63, is that the CBS Chicago affiliate? I notice everything is an hour early compared to the East Coast broadcast. It must have been weird to have prime time starting at 6:30.

“Honey, why do we have to have dinner at 5:30?”

“So we can watch Jackie Gleason! I don’t want to miss one minute of those June Taylor Dancers. And maybe Crazy Guggenheim will be on. Who doesn’t love actors pretending to be drunk who can also sing?”

“You just described Dean Martin.”

“Him, too.”

by Anonymousreply 135December 22, 2019 7:05 AM

MTS was produced by Don Fedderson whose son Mike Minor married Linda Kaye [Henning] when they appeared together on Petticoat Junction - produced by Linda's father Paul Henning who produced that show and The Beverly Hillbillies among others. Fedderson also produced Family Affair and To Rome With Love, and The Millionaire.

Don F. was married to former High School Hellcat, Yvonne Lime, who now runs a Meditation Center and Holistic Medicine emporium with her daughter in Arizona. She has been nominated FIVE times for a Nobel Peace Prize for her work with ChildHelp.....

by Anonymousreply 136December 22, 2019 12:59 PM

I totally forgot that Crazy Guggenheim sang, r135!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137December 22, 2019 1:42 PM

Don had itty-bitty nipples

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138December 22, 2019 1:54 PM

Don was cute, but he was no Luke Halpin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139December 22, 2019 1:56 PM

R115

I can think of three episodes where Mike was mentioned. The first one without him, one time with an old business acquaintance of Steve, and another time an old flame of Steve's. It was said, "Mike was back east."

We can assume Mike and Billie Jo never had kids because you never hear about him being a grandfather

by Anonymousreply 140December 22, 2019 1:57 PM

[quote]Beverly Garland and Ronne Troup (who played Polly) added nothing, and Dodie was absolutely unbearable.

I so agree with this. Beverly was the best of the three but she didn't do much. Polly just lumbered around awkwardly, and only wanted to marry Chip to get away from her father. Dodie was a total disaster who picked on Joanie from Happy Days.

by Anonymousreply 141December 22, 2019 1:59 PM

Tim Considine wanted to direct more than act and also wanted to race cars which made him a literal liability. He directed a few episodes and went in to have a fairly successful career doing this on other shows. The car racing was real deal breaker--Fedderson didn't want an important property to literally crash and burn and so he was written out of the show. His character could be annoying and didactic, a psychologist in training and not a very good one. Bringing on Ernie helped the show go in a somewhat different, if cliche ridden direction, plus Barry Livingston was short so they didn't really have to reference his age that much.

by Anonymousreply 142December 22, 2019 2:10 PM

I was an early teen during Tim Considine's last seasons. I knew without really being able to articulate it exactly, that I really, truly wanted to take his pants off and lick his pole.

by Anonymousreply 143December 22, 2019 2:33 PM

The last few season Tim really grew into his looks.

Till he married Meredith who ruined Petticoat Junction with her version of Busty-Jo

by Anonymousreply 144December 22, 2019 2:46 PM

Interesting the show wasn’t in the Nielsen top 10 ONCE. Yet ran for 12 years on two different networks. Aside from MacMurrays salary, it must’ve been cheap as hell to produce.

by Anonymousreply 145December 22, 2019 3:04 PM

For those who do not know, "The MacMurray Method" is named after Fred MacMurray's insistence on a unique shooting plan that demanded that all scenes with him, for the upcoming season, be shot on consecutive days. This required all the other actors to be available to be filmed later, sometimes much later for shots that would then be edited into earlier filmed sequences with Mr. MacMurray. This created logistical nightmares. Wardrobe and hairstyles had to be coordinated over many months of shooting. Then there were the uncontrollable problems like the death of an actor or the sudden growth of a child actor.

by Anonymousreply 146December 22, 2019 4:18 PM

More Info about Fred.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147December 22, 2019 4:21 PM

R146 yeah I was reading on Wikipedia how this caused continuity issues. Just like Brian Keith on Family Affair, who had the same deal. Ugh. Must’ve been a nightmare working this out as best they could. Not too mention the child actors who had to deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 148December 22, 2019 4:22 PM

Shot that way so they could leave?

by Anonymousreply 149December 22, 2019 4:24 PM

R159 it afforded MacMurray and Keith time off to pursue other jobs. Mainly film work.

by Anonymousreply 150December 22, 2019 4:25 PM

From the article at R147

[quote]Though it must have been a logistical nightmare for the shows producers, this arrangement worked reasonably well. Until that is, the arrival of Dodie played by Dawn Lyn.

Dodie strikes again.

by Anonymousreply 151December 22, 2019 4:27 PM

Did Dodie do anything after MTS? I can't imagine she would be on anything else.

by Anonymousreply 152December 22, 2019 4:38 PM

Dawn Lyn had her own variety series for a while on CBS right after MTS ended, but she gave it all up after about a year because she said she had basically said everything that she had to say ("I've more or less shot my wad," was how she put it at the time). She became a reclusive multi-millionaire and lived in an exclusive penthouse in Las Vegas for the rest of her life.

by Anonymousreply 153December 22, 2019 6:48 PM

Her IMDB page...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154December 22, 2019 6:57 PM

Her Wiki page....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155December 22, 2019 7:00 PM

How did she become a multi-millionaire?

by Anonymousreply 156December 22, 2019 7:14 PM

[QUOTE]How did she become a multi-millionaire?

After FreddieMac, she was the second highest paid actor on the series. Then there is the convention circuit.

by Anonymousreply 157December 22, 2019 7:29 PM

Why would you voluntarily watch this?

by Anonymousreply 158December 22, 2019 7:47 PM

Why would you even bother posting in this thread?

by Anonymousreply 159December 22, 2019 7:57 PM

[quote] What was Bub's relationship to the family?

Bub was the father of Steve Douglas' late wife (aka Steve's father in law), and Uncle Charlie was Bub's brother.

by Anonymousreply 160December 22, 2019 8:14 PM

Oh look....Dodie was...a doll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 22, 2019 8:31 PM

[quote] King Family Singers, a group of blond boring singers who, for some reason, had a number of specials during the 60s. If I'm not mistaken, they might have had a weekly tv show for a while. It was the blondest, blandest, whitest variety show you can imagine.

It sounds heavenly !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162December 22, 2019 8:47 PM

[quote]King Family Singers, a group of blond boring singers who, for some reason, had a number of specials during the 60s. If I'm not mistaken, they might have had a weekly tv show for a while. It was the blondest, blandest, whitest variety show you can imagine.

They were part of the Lawrence Welk family of performers.

by Anonymousreply 163December 22, 2019 9:07 PM

A little trivia. Dodie (Dawn Lyn) is Leif Garrett's sister.

by Anonymousreply 164December 22, 2019 9:28 PM

No they weren't, r163. They started as a singing sister group.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165December 22, 2019 10:08 PM

Such a.....sad....song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166December 22, 2019 10:12 PM

BLARGH

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167December 22, 2019 10:56 PM

The King sistren perform with Phyllis Diller

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168December 22, 2019 10:58 PM

[quote]No they weren't, [R163]. They started as a singing sister group.

Ooops thinking of the Lennon Sisters on Welk.

by Anonymousreply 169December 22, 2019 11:06 PM

Early King Sisters....with Alvino Rey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170December 22, 2019 11:14 PM

And....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171December 22, 2019 11:17 PM

Please. My Three Sons S-U-C-K-E-D! Anyone with a brain knows this.

I was five when the shop debuted. Even then I knew it was awful.

Mother: "Oh look, here's a new program about a man raising his sons."

Me: "N-o-o-o. I looks like it'll suck donkey balls!"

Mother: "Horrors!"

by Anonymousreply 172December 22, 2019 11:19 PM

Was Dodie Robbie and Katie’s daughter?

by Anonymousreply 173December 22, 2019 11:44 PM

Who the fuck names a kid Dodie?

by Anonymousreply 174December 23, 2019 12:04 AM

I thought her name was Dopy.

by Anonymousreply 175December 23, 2019 12:08 AM

[quote] Don had itty-bitty nipples

Sister Lani did not

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176December 23, 2019 4:31 AM

I knew there was some reason I couldn't stand mcmurray, his 'method' of shooting all his scenes apart from the others so he could have lots time away, explains his lazy ass acting. ugh, he was the epitome of fake actors in my book, and the odd editing/continuity of that show, only the b/w years were good, with w Frawley,

don grady was my hero....

by Anonymousreply 177December 23, 2019 8:04 AM

Dodie was the daughter of the widow Barbara who foisted her on the family when she and Steve married....

Beverly Garland said a friend called her and told her: "I have an audition to be Fred MacMurray's wife on My Three Sons - what should I wear?"

Beverly thought - if that bitch can be Fred's wife, I could, too. She called up her agent and got an audition and Bev got the part. She was never a shy blonde. She bragged about doing that in an article in TV GUIDE. She says: "I lost a friend - but I got the part!"

by Anonymousreply 178December 23, 2019 2:29 PM

Wow. Bev was the Gwyneth Paltrow of the 60s sitcom set.

by Anonymousreply 179December 23, 2019 2:33 PM

Well she didn't sabotage the friend's audition so she really didn't do anything wrong....

by Anonymousreply 180December 23, 2019 3:03 PM

I liked by the end, when Don Grady quit and they had Katie move back into the house with the kids.

Steve was living with Katie, Barbara, Dodie, Ernie and Uncle Charlie and he supporting all these people he wasn't related to.

by Anonymousreply 181December 23, 2019 3:07 PM

[quote]Just like Brian Keith on Family Affair, who had the same deal. Ugh. Must’ve been a nightmare working this out as best they could. Not too mention the child actors who had to deal with it.

Kathy "Cissy" Garver on the "Family Affair" DVDs, only she and Sebastian Cabot had it tough, because she was 18 (playing 16), so the kid's scenes had to be shot first also out of order, so they wouldn't go over time allowed. Then Brian Keith would shoot and finally she and Sebastian would shoot. She said often she and him would be around till midnight before they got around to shooting them.

If they had to shoot a scene with say Cissy talking to Buffy, she'd read her lines into the camera while off camera a stage hand would read Buffy's line, then they'd edit Buffy in later.

by Anonymousreply 182December 23, 2019 3:11 PM

Well maybe not sabotage - but who knows WHAT she said or did.....she may have told the producers her friend was a "drunk" - she was NOT gracious about her actress contemporaries.....

by Anonymousreply 183December 23, 2019 3:19 PM

[quote] She said often she and him would be around till midnight before they got around to shooting them.

When the little kids were out of the way, Cissy and Uncle Bill illustrated what a real family affair they had.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184December 23, 2019 5:09 PM

Cissy getting ready to go out on the town with Uncle Bill?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185December 23, 2019 5:32 PM

They always dressed Cissy like a 40 year old woman

by Anonymousreply 186December 23, 2019 6:22 PM

Stanley Livingston (Chip) eventually married a stripper.

by Anonymousreply 187December 23, 2019 6:46 PM

[quote] Dodie was the daughter of the widow Barbara who foisted her on the family when she and Steve married....

Did you expect her to put her up for adoption?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188December 23, 2019 6:52 PM

[quote]Yes, Ozzie and Harriet, was the original show about nothing.

I find it annoying how you people over-use and incorrectly use the "show about nothing" label just because you learned it from SEINFELD. Neither OZZIE AND HARRIET nor MY THREE SONS were "shows about nothing," they were shows about family life -- however good or bad the quality of the writing, the acting, etc. MY THREE SONS had the extra twist that there was no mother on hand, and OZZIE AND HARRIET had the extra twist that all of the main actors were playing fictionalized versions of their own family.

For that matter, SEINFELD was no more a "show about nothing" than lots of other shows. It was about the quirky Manhattan lives of the central character, loosely based on the comedian/actor who played him, and his quirky friends. Think of other hugely successful sitcoms through the decades and you'll probably have to agree that lots of them were "about nothing," or at least, not about much, and certainly not high concept.

by Anonymousreply 189December 23, 2019 7:03 PM

"She said often she and him ...."

"She said often he and she ..."

by Anonymousreply 190December 23, 2019 7:09 PM

MacMurray owned a ranch along the Russian River near Wohler Bridge. He used to call the Sonoma County Sheriff to clear out all the gay boys sunbathing nude (and doing other things) along the bank of the river.

by Anonymousreply 191December 23, 2019 7:16 PM

[quote]Did you expect her to put her up for adoption?

Hardly. Dropping her outside a fire station with a note would have been more effective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192December 23, 2019 7:20 PM

Yes, r188, absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 193December 23, 2019 7:23 PM

Ugh, I need to post some Don Grady beauty to purge out all of this Dodie bilge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194December 23, 2019 9:04 PM

How many gay boys were in love with him???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195December 23, 2019 9:04 PM

[quote] I find it annoying how you people over-use and incorrectly use the "show about nothing" label just because you learned it from SEINFELD.

But, all three were shows about "nothing" because nothing ever really happened, no real character development or crisis. The plots and jokes were always second to the personalities of the characters. The plots weren't built around witty repartee, slapstick, or social commentary, you basically just visit a group of people every week and watch their amusing lives. Being about nothing doesn't mean the show is not entertaining, though in the case of MTS it does. Ozzie and Harriet and Seinfeld, however were both supremely entertaining, each in their own way.

by Anonymousreply 196December 23, 2019 9:21 PM

As the poster above said Tina Cole is on Facebook and she is a lot of fun. Stanley and Barry Livingston are on there, too. Stanley always posts anti-Trump memes with amusing comments and is a hippie liberal. Barry posts mostly about events.

Jon Provost and his wife writer Laurie Jacobson are very active on Facebook. He doesn't always respond to questions, but he posts some nice photos from his Lassie days. He is always quick to ban Trump supporters from his page.

Kathy Garver is also on Facebook and posts mostly about her family and the events she attends, but she responds to questions and is very personable.

As for The Nelsons....a reporter once asked David what was the difference between his television life and his real life, and David replied: "On television, my mother knows where the kitchen is."

by Anonymousreply 197December 23, 2019 9:44 PM

A show about nothing = Seinfeld

versus

A show where nothing happens = Ozzie & Harriet, My Three Sons, etc.

is very, very different.

by Anonymousreply 198December 23, 2019 10:11 PM

[quote] MacMurray owned a ranch along the Russian River near Wohler Bridge. He used to call the Sonoma County Sheriff to clear out all the gay boys sunbathing nude

Looks like a great place to get nekkid and pile up and wiggle in full sight of Mother Nature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199December 23, 2019 10:18 PM

I always wanted to see the three sons rape dodie

by Anonymousreply 200December 23, 2019 10:26 PM

Harriet was far too glamorous for the kitchen, r197.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201December 23, 2019 10:39 PM

Fred MacMurray was an asshole .

by Anonymousreply 202December 23, 2019 10:56 PM

Tommy Kirk had a nice asshole.

by Anonymousreply 203December 23, 2019 11:04 PM

[quote]After FreddieMac, she was the second highest paid actor on the series.

Are you talking about Dawn Lyn? Dodie?!?!?

Why would Dawn Lyn be the second highest paid actor?! A CHILD ACTOR?!?!

Surely the show paid more to Beverly Garland or William Demarest than they did to Dawn Lyn.

Surely Don Grady and Tina Cole made more than a 6 year old actor.

by Anonymousreply 204December 23, 2019 11:41 PM

Intersting bit of trivia. We almost had Dawn Lyn on Nanny and the Professor instead.

[quote]She was cast as Dodie Douglas on the long-running family comedy television series My Three Sons. ABC sued unsuccessfully to get Lyn to perform in Nanny and the Professor after she had already been cast for My Three Sons. After ABC's lawsuit against Lyn failed, Kim Richards was cast as Prudence Everett, although Lyn was a brunette and Richards was a blonde.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205December 23, 2019 11:43 PM

Robbie was hot; then the show had to marry him off. Lost interest then.

by Anonymousreply 206December 24, 2019 12:06 AM

His "father" may have forgotten him, but at least Mike Douglas got a send-off, unlike poor Bub, who just disappears off camera.

by Anonymousreply 207December 24, 2019 12:40 AM

When I first saw Double Indemnity, I was amazed to discover that Fred MacMurray had actually been a handsome man in his youth. And that he had had an interesting career.

by Anonymousreply 208December 24, 2019 12:35 PM

Mean girl Erin Moran bullies Dodie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209December 28, 2019 7:41 PM

R208, I was just about to post a similar comment. Double Indemnity startled me; I had no idea that MacMurray had that kind of range.

by Anonymousreply 210December 28, 2019 7:45 PM

On a TCM short bio clip, one of his daughters - Kate I think - says that the family was at Disneyland and a woman approached MacMurray and slapped him in the face.

She said she had taken her sons to see The Apartment because Fred was in it and was horrified by the film.

Kate says Fred turned to wife June Haver and said: "That's it.....only Disney movies for me from now on...."

by Anonymousreply 211December 29, 2019 4:00 PM

One thing I will about the Dodie clips at r209: the directors were brave, because it must have been miserable getting children that young to do a scene together. Erin Moran is really good for a child actor that young--it is so sad to think of what a tragic end she had coming. Would parents have their children do television if they fully understood how fucked-up they become because of the whole experience.

I am glad for her sake Dawn Lyn (Garrett) survived all that seemingly okay, but she is such a singularly charmless child actor. Usually you can see how child actors might appeal to frauen, but she's not very pretty and she's a mouthbreather, and she doesn't say her lines very winningly,. it's a mystery to me why she was such a hot commodity.

by Anonymousreply 212December 29, 2019 4:27 PM

[quote] On a TCM short bio clip, one of his daughters - Kate I think - says that the family was at Disneyland and a woman approached MacMurray and slapped him in the face. She said she had taken her sons to see The Apartment because Fred was in it and was horrified by the film.

I would have loved it if he had slapped her back, hard--with his huge hand--and said, "It was a Billy Wilder film, you stupid cunt. Why the fuck would you have brought your children?"

by Anonymousreply 213December 29, 2019 4:29 PM

[quote]A show about nothing = Seinfeld versus a show where nothing happens = Ozzie & Harriet, My Three Sons, etc. is very, very different.

Really? Then please explain the difference for us. I think it's just semantics. And it's not true that "nothing happened" on OZZIE & HARRIET or MY THREE SONS. Of course, there were various occurrences and events and subplots to which the characters reacted, even if you didn't find them interesting.

by Anonymousreply 214December 29, 2019 5:31 PM

My Three Sons endlessly recycled cliches from other sitcoms of the time. They had to fill 36-39 episodes/year in the early days and they had to have a large fraction of the scripts written by the start of the shooting season to accommodate MacMurray's schedule. The first year had some interesting episodes,, taking advantage of the n on-continuous filming and the novelty of a widower and his kids. After that, they got someone else to write and direct who was much more of a hack and that continued throughout the shows run. Because scripts had to be done in a bloc, there probably were fewer continuity problems across episodes.

by Anonymousreply 215December 29, 2019 10:53 PM

Caught a late episode on MeTV recently. Visually, it looked like shit. Yet, Hogan’s heroes looks pristine and in hd. Both were filmed shows.

by Anonymousreply 216December 29, 2019 11:14 PM

r209 that clip is such a bunch of horse shit. Those girls should have beat the shit out of Dodie. When Dodie was taking a drink out of that fucking water fountain they should have pushed her from behind so she hit her head on the fountain and knocked some more of those filthy teeth out. That little bitch thought she was such hot shit, she deserves to be taught a fucking lesson. I hope some of those girls had big brothers too and they molest and or rape that little Dodie cunt. I hate her!

I will say, that's so funny to see the sandwiches in wax paper! I'd forgotten all about that.

by Anonymousreply 217December 29, 2019 11:16 PM

I'd put Beverly Garland in the same league as Patty Duke.

by Anonymousreply 218December 30, 2019 1:56 AM

[quote][R209] that clip is such a bunch of horse shit. Those girls should have beat the shit out of Dodie. When Dodie was taking a drink out of that fucking water fountain they should have pushed her from behind so she hit her head on the fountain and knocked some more of those filthy teeth out. That little bitch thought she was such hot shit, she deserves to be taught a fucking lesson. I hope some of those girls had big brothers too and they molest and or rape that little Dodie cunt. I hate her!

That should happen to you.

by Anonymousreply 219December 30, 2019 2:04 AM

Duke was a much better actress. Garland was a pleasant presence who was fine for a wife you didn't want to dominate a show. She previously had been a sweater girl/scream queen for Roger Corman which is not something that last into middle age.

by Anonymousreply 220December 30, 2019 2:27 AM

Duke was a better actor but I still enjoy Garland to the same extent 220.

by Anonymousreply 221December 30, 2019 2:39 AM

[quote]His "father" may have forgotten him, but at least Mike Douglas got a send-off, unlike poor Bub, who just disappears off camera.

On the first show without Frawley as Bub, Charlie (Demarest) shows up at the house, unannounced, to visit his brother. I think Charlie was a merchant seaman. Steve tells Charlie that Bub is in Ireland visiting family members, so Charlie moves in and takes over Bub's housekeeping duties. Bub is never mentioned again. Not even an off-camera death.

Ar some point after Ernie was adopted, someone says to Steve, of Ernie, or maybe Chip, "You have a fine son." Steve responds: "I have three fine sons." So, yes, at that point, Steve has literally forgotten that Mike ever existed.

by Anonymousreply 222December 30, 2019 3:51 AM

Beverly Garland was the first performer to open a tab top can on television - she dropped the tab into the soda and is responsible for the death of at least dozen people.

She was also the first performer on television to use a resealable baloney package.....

She was also a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 223December 30, 2019 2:07 PM

[quote]I'd put Beverly Garland in the same league as Patty Duke.

Well that's horseshit. Beverly Garland was scream queen in the same league as Jamie Lee Curtis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224December 30, 2019 10:51 PM

She also co-starred with a giant cucumber.

by Anonymousreply 225December 30, 2019 10:55 PM

R225, good idea.

by Anonymousreply 226December 30, 2019 11:07 PM

What fine acting from Dodie!!

by Anonymousreply 227December 30, 2019 11:25 PM

Beverly Garland was indeed a scream queen. I remember an interview with her from years ago in which she attributed her early success to "a strong set of lungs."

by Anonymousreply 228December 30, 2019 11:35 PM

Fun fact: Not a single member of the King Family was actually named King.

by Anonymousreply 229December 31, 2019 3:22 AM

Dodie was that kid in first grade who ate her boogers or wet her pants.

by Anonymousreply 230December 31, 2019 3:30 AM

I watched the entire 12 seasons on MeTV last year, and I learned some valuable life lessons along the way, but once was enough.

And Robbie was some hot piece of ass, although his character was often a whiny bitch.

by Anonymousreply 231December 31, 2019 4:39 AM

[quote]She also co-starred with a giant cucumber.

Have some respect, his name was Fred MacMurray.

by Anonymousreply 232December 31, 2019 9:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!